Speaker 1: Well, the city council might only give you sixty seconds to where your grievance is.
Speaker 2: Oh hi, I'd like to go to the first caller on the phone.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're lucky, now we're giving you a both sixty minutes. It's a KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang in our long recap of the day's top local stories on your drive home. And unlike the city Council, we're the perfect vehicle to actually.
Speaker 2: Get your voice heard.
Speaker 1: The KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang starts no, No, No.
Speaker 3: It is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that is going on in State of California, Southern California, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, in the Central Valley. I compile a list every single day of all the stories that I see that I find interesting that you may want to check out stuff you may have missed at Randy Wang Radio dot substack dot com. That's Randy Wang Radio dot substack dot com. And make sure to check out our YouTube channel Johnny Don't Like dot com for the John Phillips Show on demand content and the accountability podcast that's Johnny Don't like dot Com. We start with one of my personal crusades. You know, there are some things that I'm just kind of a nag on, and I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon. I really don't like smoke shops. That doesn't mean I have this like crusade against tobacco or even a problem with people smoking cigarettes. I'm not one of those people. I you know, if that's what you want to do, fine, enjoy yourself. Not really my thing, but it doesn't really bother me. But smoke shops, We're talking talking about a totally different thing. Because, you know, the average person that I know that happens to smoke cigarettes, where are they buying their cigarettes? Probably a gas station, probably a you know, a seven to eleven, a convenience store. And how about people that enjoy cigars, you know, you know, they probably go to a fine liquor and cigar store like Tarzana Wine and Spirits, great place right there on Ventura Boulevard. I happen to believe that smoke shops are nothing but hotbeds of barely legal and illegal activity. Smoke shops which you would think means a place where people are going to buy I don't know, loose tobaccos so they can roll their own cigarettes.
Speaker 2: My uncle used to do that at one point. Super gross.
Speaker 3: Oh, maybe people are going to buy water pipes for their non tobacco smoking activities.
Speaker 2: Love that term water pipes.
Speaker 3: These places are everywhere in southern California. In the San Fernando Valley where I reluctantly still live, there is a smoke shop, dare I say, in almost every single strip mall.
Speaker 2: And smoking's way down.
Speaker 3: So how exactly are these businesses surviving in this climate? Oh, I'll tell you how, because they're selling a whole lot of things they're not supposed to.
Speaker 2: For one, we know a lot of these smoke shops.
Speaker 3: These are the places that are also operating as illegal pot stores. They're selling the stuff that they're not licensed to sell, and because they're doing it without a license, they're able to sell it a lot cheaper than the people doing it the right way. And apparently, according to our own primaried city attorney, it is so difficult to shut these things down even when they are operating illegally.
Speaker 2: I don't see how that makes any sense.
Speaker 3: We in fact, in the city of Los Angeles passed a ballot measure to allow the City of LA to send a tax bill to illegally operating pot stores. But the smoke shops do so much more than just offer pot. They offer a whole bunch of other things, including we did an entire story on the Accountability podcast about how a lot of these smoke shops they make a lot of money selling nitrous oxide. And if you're wondering what's that's for, it's for whippets. And they even have creatively designed packaging for canisters to attract young people to get this brand of whippets. How is that something that's legal. It's starting to have ordinances. But it is the wildest thing. You go to a rock concert now and you see people with these gigantic, transparent balloons selling them to you for five dollars so you can do a hit of nos before you go see a concert.
Speaker 2: But it's not just nitrous oxide.
Speaker 3: It's not just the pot that they're supposed to not be selling that they're selling. Oh no, no, no, they're so much more. And in fact, in Sacramento, researchers found that over half of the smoke shops that they surveyed sold banned substances that they're not supposed to sell. Because this is what the smoke shop is. It's kind of like what the you know, the roadside gas station in Middle America is like all of these products that are not evaluated by the FDA that are sold as health food products. Where you want to talk about the off brand penis pills, the stuff that's supposed to improve your form rments, whatsoever, stuff that's unlicensed. Pain believers create them, all of this insanity. Remember when the whole thing was the pot stores were selling synthetic pot K two and spice bath salts. Seriously, there is so much crap going on that it shouldn't be legitimate at all. And in a state that loves to regulate and ban everything, it's so bizarre to me that we allow the smoke shops that plague our neighborhoods and attract criminal activity, and a lot of them are fronts for straight up criminal organizations are allowed to thrive. And I have a theory on this. I have a long standing theory why we look the other way when it comes to the smoke shops and the strip malls selling a bunch of stuff they're not supposed to. Why we look the other way on the illicit massage parlor in the strip mall that is definitely not selling anything that someone would consider a legitimate massage. If a massage parlor has black bars on the windows, there's not a lot of real spa treatments going on there. If they have flashing neon signs, chances are they're not legit. If their hours are open until eleven o'clock at night, you know exactly what is going on out there. If this was a podcast, I could say in more detail what we call these places, but since I'm on the radio, I'll just call.
Speaker 2: It an R and T.
Speaker 3: We know what these places are, and they're all over the place. You know, if you drive through the San Fernando Valley, it repeats itself over and over and over again. Just count how many McDonald's there are Unventura Boulevard. Also count how many smoke shops are in little strip malls. And you look at these strip malls that we have way too many of, and almost every single one that I drive past has either a smoke shop, a massage parlor or both. And in fact, the closest strip mall to my house has a I don't consider the seven eleven part of the smoke shop, but right next to the seven eleven is a four unit strip mall. Two of the units have been for lease and abandoned for a long time. The two units that are still in there smoke shop and massage parlor. And this is why I believe we look the other way on this, Why even though we know there is obvious human trafficking going on at these places every single day, obvious dens of prostitution at the massage parlors. We know there are obvious hotbeds of criminal activity, sometimes connected to gangs and organized crime going on at these smoke shops.
Speaker 2: The reason we don't bust them.
Speaker 3: Is because if we did that, if we cracked down on the smoke shop, if we crack down on the massage parlor, if we shut down those businesses, is it possible that there are to be such a massive impact to the commercial real estate bubble that we are currently facing right now that if you don't have the smoke shop paying the rent, and you don't have the obviously illicit massage parlor paying the rent, that you're going to see a whole bunch of these strip malls all of a sudden have no shops. There's four least signs in every single one of them. Now you see a completely full strip mall, you must be in a very good neighborhood. So is it possible that we're looking the other way because these are the only businesses that are going to pay the rent Because it's very hard to start a small business. It's very expensive to start a small business. Commercial real estate is very expensive to lease, and you have so many people that own these commercial properties that are not getting what Maybe they're barely getting enough to pay their loans, maybe they're getting less, maybe they're losing money on them. And if we were to shut down all of the obvious illegal businesses that are all throughout these smoke shops, you might start seeing all kinds of foreclosures, in bankruptcies and.
Speaker 2: What have you.
Speaker 3: And you know, we're kind of like this house of cards, keeping the commercial real estate economy afloat by allowing all of this criminal activity.
Speaker 2: Now, in my mind, what would we do about this?
Speaker 3: And I know this is one of those things that's a lot harder in practice, but I still think it's worth thinking about. You know you're even hearing in her desperate plea to get re elected, Karen Bass talking about adaptive reuse. When it comes to all of the downtown buildings that are empty because the office space isn't coming back, I think that that is a lot of work and that can be very difficult. When it comes to the land that you know, these strip malls are on, it seems like that would be way easier to rezone and way quicker knock them down. When you have a strip mall that has nothing of value in it, Let's make it really easy for whoever owns that land to build some I'm not even going to say affordable housing because that's a loaded term, just housing. Let them build an apartment building there.
Speaker 2: Make it as.
Speaker 3: Easy as possible, in fact, incentivize it because we have a quote housing crime, right, and we need to build more housing and there's no legitimate business being done at the strip mall, and strip malls are super ugly and kind of a blight on neighborhoods at this point. You know the ones I'm talking about, if you live in the valley. Maybe we make it easier. Maybe we make it so we can start really making some changes and maybe you do the thing that you know is so trendy now where you know you have maybe it's a three or four story building because this is La in the Valley. We're not going to get crazy here, and you have a market on the first floor. I mean, they've actually got one of these now in Sherman Oaks. It's crazy. It is not cheap, but you could live on top of a Trader Joe's, which is an interesting way to live. But you know, I was walking around Toronto, and Toronto is a major metropolitan city, but there are and there is all kinds of housing. Like there is a massive mall near where I was staying called the Well, and on top of the Well is a whole bunch of apartments that's kind of cool. There was this really really really trendy bar that had like the biggest happy hour in downtown Toronto and it's the first floor of a big apartment building.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't have a problem with more of that stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't think LA in our infrastructure can handle you know, ten twelve story buildings in places like the San Fernando Valley, but more of that kind of reuse where you have something that's kind of fun that maybe the people who live in the building would use.
Speaker 2: But what do we have instead?
Speaker 3: We have vacant retail spaces and the only people paying the rent are pretty obviously criminal organizations. Maybe I'm biased, Maybe I'm just.
Speaker 2: A little cranky.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm so sick of driving past this strip mall I see every single day. But I don't think anything legitimate happens at smoke shops. I don't think anything legitimate happens at massage parlors. Nobody's going in there because they have back pain. That's just not happening. I could go into further detail on how I know exactly what goes on in those places, but this is a family show, and I already told all those stories on my old podcast and scrubbed that stuff from the internet, and I'm not going to do it again. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC.
Speaker 2: It's the News.
Speaker 3: Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. Hey, after I sign off here at six If you haven't checked out the latest episode of The Accountability Podcast, it dropped today at three pm, and it's John and I and Seneca Scott talking about Bob Bonta panicking because of Sheng Tao's upcoming corruption trial. Do not miss it, Johnny, don't like dot Com. Let's go to David Whittier.
Speaker 4: Dave, Hello, Yes, sir, okay, I've got a different take for you on this. Arresting these illegal businesses, the massage prothers, etc. Across the board in California. Do it. And here's why. Because all that property is going to be available, and we know in the real estate market, availability brings down prices, Okay, and that's what it's going to do. It's going to be bring down the price of leasing and it's going to spur on in California.
Speaker 3: Well, I like that idea because you know, I have seen some of the prices to lease. Even space is in the dumpiest of a strip ball. It's like, how does anybody get into that? You're right, maybe there'll be a little more competition and they'll have to lower the price and make it more competitive if we take out all of these places they know they're getting guaranteed income from from the obvious criminal organizations.
Speaker 4: Randy had already happened in La County. Deportations ice reporting has caused has caused you can google that. I think as you have mentioned, that caused rent prices to go down in Los Angeles County.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go, Dave, Thanks so much for the call. Appreciate it. Let's go to Tom in La Tom.
Speaker 4: Hello, Yeah, Hi, I think your theory about why they're not arresting the massage parlers is way too imaginative and gives the politicians way too much credit for intelligence and thoughtfulness they The bottom line is the politicians, for the most part, are narcissists. They really don't care about anything except themselves and what's going to get them re elected. They don't give a crap about anybody else, and and the law enforcement officers themselves. As a prosecutor for eleven years, I dealt with this stuff every day, the prosecutor or the law enforcement officers. You have a small minority who are really dedicated and really want to enforce the law and go after bad guys. They are constantly being put down and put to the side and told to be quiet, don't rock the boat. The people in charge are lazy. They're trying to keep control of their job situation because they're all making over one hundred thousand dollars with the overtime plus the retirement benefits, So they don't want to do anything that's going to jeopardize their job. And so it really doesn't have anything to do with them trying to support the real estate market. The pol Fishes, they just aren't that knowledgeable and thoughtful about business and they really don't care and in terms of lowering the having competition and lowering the rates, if those businesses were put out of business and the office spaces were left open. I was in Las Vegas during the two thousand and eight two thousand and nine real estate crash, and there were like strip malls all over the place that were vacant, totally vacant, or to be like one store. All the anchor stores were gone at the time. I tried to get some. I thought I'd get some cheap office space, so I called these different property managers that were handling the centers. The problem is these real estate centers, they're owned, they're owned by these big companies that really don't care if they sit empty because they take real estate losses on the income tax returns. So until you get rid of that loss on the income tax return, these big conglomerates that own the shopping centers. They don't really care if their thing is empty. And I mean, if you have a mom and pop owner, they're going to be hurting. But for the most part, most of these things are owned by you know, real estate investment trusts and LLCs that have lots of money and the people and when they're privately owned is publicly being publicly traded. The privately owned companies, those people they have so much money they don't care if a property does and you know, return any rent because they have sufficient funds in the bank. You know, the downturn is not going to hurt them. And for reasons that I personally don't understand, manage real estate. Property manager after property manager told me that they would not go down on their stated you know, per square foot rental rate.
Speaker 3: We see it every single day. Tom, We're running up against a break. But you make a heck of a lot of sense. The real estate companies don't care because they make money just on the loss. That makes sense. It's the news Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. Chuck writes in at Randy Wang Radio at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Help me understand this.
Speaker 3: Where do you come up with the belief that strip mall should never have empty spots. Where do you and the guy you interviewed, the guy that called in come up with this belief that in your perfect world, every strip mall should be full and white.
Speaker 2: Does it math to you?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's just a sign of the economy that so many vacancies are in so many strip malls. And if the only places that are able to take out leases are places that are obvious dens for criminal activity, that's just kind of.
Speaker 2: Interesting to me. I don't understand. I'm not angry.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand why you believe that strip mall should never have vacancies, and more so, why does it bother you. I'm not mad, So please explain, because it's confusing. Where do you get this if I don't know who told you, maybe the Bible or someplace told you that throughout your life that strip malls will all be pleasantly full. It's not like there's one or two vacancies. Just drive up and down Van Owen Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley. There are so many vacant storefronts all over the place, including a place that's zoned to be a pod store on Woodley and Victory.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, did I say Van Owen?
Speaker 3: I'm at Victory on Woodley and Victory that has been sitting vacant forever. There's a place zoned to be a restaurant right next to it, always vacant. Anyone that moves in there goes out of business. The only thing that makes any money in there is a Leo's Taco truck goes to the parking lot. My point of all of this is, if the commercial real estate is not working out, if we have these strip malls that nobody's starting businesses in and the only ones that are our criminal dens, and why don't we, you know, make it as easy as possible as policy makers for zoning.
Speaker 2: Changes to turn those into all of the buildings that we need.
Speaker 3: Instead of taking an old two story apartment building, tearing it down and making a seven story apartment building, why don't we start with all of this space that we have that nobody's really using.
Speaker 2: Just something to think about.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of you know, for as much as we talk about how we're in a housing crisis, there's so much land out there. And sure you have Steve Hilton talking about you know that there's so much empty space, why don't we start new cities, new county. You know, there's also lots of empty space just sitting around where we are right now. There's tons and tons and tons of land that can be developed or redeveloped. If you want to talk about all the land that the schools own, what have you. Now, let's focus back here on the original point, which is the story that I saw from CBS Sacramento about the smoke shops and how a study found that a good majority of the products sold there are not supposed to be sold. For more on this, we go to CBS in Sacramento.
Speaker 5: High Crimes in Sacramento. College researchers just went undercover looking for dangerous drugs in local smoke shops. They say more than half of the stores they surveyed were selling contraband over the counter. Thanks for staying with us here at ten thirty Las Moortacov. We have all been inside a convenience store, right and seeing the different products on the shlves behind the counter, But how many are legal? Well, two med school students decided to find out. Walk with me over to Ashley Williams she's here getting answers on what prohibited products they found.
Speaker 6: Actually, yeah, so Tony. These college students are studying to become medical doctors one day, and they're getting an early start trying to protect public health. New research showing banned substances are being sold in Sancramento stores.
Speaker 3: It's like the wild West, essentially, there's no regulation. It was and again this is the most overregulated state except for certain industries where it's not at all.
Speaker 2: And do you remember the story. We did it a few weeks ago.
Speaker 3: It's funny, I remember exactly where I am sometimes when I hear something for the first time, and I believe I was because this was just a few weeks ago. Yeah, I was walking around the streets of Toronto, because when I'm on vacation and i'm still working, usually I do all my show prep walking around whatever city i'm in, whether it be Santa Fe, whether it be San Francisco, whether it be Tronto. And I remember exactly where I was when I heard this wild story. In Sacramento, there was a moratorium on smoke shops, and some legislation got past that said, you know what, we will allow you to construct more smoke shops if they also sell health food, And apparently the definition of health food was if you've got a couple of rotten bananas.
Speaker 2: Now we can operate.
Speaker 3: And the amount of smoke shops in Sacramento exploded, and yeah, nobody was going there to buy health food. Although it's interesting a lot of these insane products that are being sold at these stores, they're all marketed as health food and dietary supplements, because dietary supplement can be a vast, vast, vast, unregulated category of product containing all kinds of things that you have no idea what it is you're ingesting. Honestly, I'll tell you right now. You know who did a fantastic deep dive on this subject, John Oliver. If you really want to know about the crazy things that are sold at smoke shops and at gas stations, just search on the YouTube for John Oliver gas station drugs. It is a fascinating thirty minutes se shocking.
Speaker 6: Kayla Dvote and you lend Zoo are pre med college students working with the nonprofit group Youth Forward. This summer, they conducted a random survey of sixteen Sacramento smoke shops looking for Cradam seven. Oh magic mushrooms and nitrous oxide.
Speaker 3: Wait, you can get shrooms at the smoke shop now, oh, twenty three year old me? What have killed to hear this story?
Speaker 6: Which are prohibited intoxicating product?
Speaker 3: All of these are technically banned for recreational sale and possession in California.
Speaker 1: Nine.
Speaker 3: I mean, screw the pot if you can sell shrooms and NOAs and kratum, which is like a synthetic opiate, Like damn, this is the candy store right here, and these are all over the place. Nobody is buying tobacco at these stores.
Speaker 7: And out of the sixteen, over fifty percent had these substances, and that was just a major concern for me.
Speaker 6: The results were published in a thirteen page report. This week, They presented their findings to the Sacramento City Council.
Speaker 7: Our goal is to reduce harm caused by addiction and overdose in our community.
Speaker 6: Researchers say the band products can be dangerous to use.
Speaker 7: Addiction to any of these drugs can lead to serious brain damage, death and serious health complications.
Speaker 3: Including the nitrous oxide, which you would imagine, wouldn't that be like a controlled substance that you can only buy if you're like a licensed dentist, But no, you can buy it supposed to use it for recreational purposes, but you can buy it at a smoke shop.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 3: All the crazy things we did, that whole story about how we're trying to regulate the kind of tires you can buy. We spend so much time on that, But when it comes to things that can actively harm our community because some people are dumb enough to buy this stuff, we just don't seem to look the other ways.
Speaker 6: CBS thirteen reached out to some of the stores about the survey results. The manager at Royal Smoky tells us they'd.
Speaker 2: Pull that's a legit name all.
Speaker 6: The prohibited items off.
Speaker 2: It's a gift and vape shop.
Speaker 6: The shelves last month. The group Youth Forward says these type of prohibited sales are troubling because many of the smoke shops are within blocks of schools, including Royal Smoky, which is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, there's all kinds of regulations as to how close to a school or a park you can be if you're a licensed marijuana shop. But when it comes to the smoke shops that are selling not tobacco, but all these other illegal drugs. Yeah, that's fine. It's just why if it's not the theory that you know, maybe everyone's not buying into that we're trying to make sure the commercial real estate bubble pops, then why is it that city attorneys and lawmakers don't want to crack down on this. There's just something really strange that's going on with smoke shops.
Speaker 6: Crossa street from Smith Elementary.
Speaker 4: With it being so accessible, I can't imagine that there aren't some numbers of students that are getting access to these illegal substances.
Speaker 3: Kayla, and you Lyn, I mean especially because you want to talk about all of the handwringing that went on for years and years and years about the vapes and how the packaging on the vapes and the flavors of vapes were meant to addict children. You should look at the packaging on the mushroom chocolate bars, look at the packaging on the nospar, look at the packaging on creative what have you. All of this stuff is targeted toward dumbass teens.
Speaker 6: Are now calling on Sacramento City leaders to increase enforcement efforts.
Speaker 3: This is kind of like a blind spot in the city, and I think that's part of the reason why our research is so important.
Speaker 7: There unhealthy and they shouldn't be sold at all.
Speaker 6: They certainly uncovered quite a bit there well. Last month, Governor Knwsom announced that more than sixty seven hundred CUM related products were confiscated during a five month statewide enforcement expert Tony.
Speaker 5: A couple of things come to mind. Why I took met students to discover this and not officials, And secondly, the future for these young med students credit right right, absolutely, all right, Ashley, thank you.
Speaker 3: So there you go, just a little dip into the window of insanity. That is what should be a super highly regulated industry.
Speaker 2: Everyone seems to be looking the other way, and it's.
Speaker 3: Med students doing their own survey that find all all kinds of illegal activity at licensed businesses. Feel like there should be somebody in elected office that wants to champion this issue. Or maybe I'm in the minority. Maybe it's not a big deal that you can buy shrooms and nitrous oxide and practically heroin, but it's not called heroin in K two or or cradam what have you, stuff that you can overdose from. Maybe it's fine that you could just buy that in your average corner store. That's on every corner block in the San Fernando Valley. AYB, I gotta get out of here. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC.
Speaker 2: It's the News.
Speaker 3: Blitz with Randy Wang on TOC Radio, seven ninety KABC. Well, how exciting is this? Seven ninety KAB welcomes Alison Krause and the Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas with special guest Theo Lawrence at the Pacific Amphitheater on August twenty ninth. Tickets are on sale now at pacamp dot com. But right now collin number nine at one eight at eight, seven ninety five two to two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. This is a post fair concert. Tickets furnished by the Pacific Amphitheater. Good luck dialing. If you'd like to send me an email, you can do so at Randy Wangradio.
Speaker 2: At gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Kerrie writes in you do realize that the Sherman Oaks Galleria has never had full occupancy since it's reopened some twenty odd years ago. The Starbucks over there recently closed. Freedis is gone, so many open spaces to lease. And to top that off, they're building another retail condo mall just up the block. That new condo retail space at the new Trader Joe's across the street from another Trader Joe's. There's only two stores there. Trader Joe's in a very expensive Australian smoke shop. Maybe we need another smoke shop there. You know, the Galleria is always a fascinating one to me. You know, I grew up in the valley. I remember just barely going to the Galleria pre earthquake. Of course, the Galleria was forever immortalized as the mall in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. But you know, even when I used to go to that mall a lot because that was the movie theater, that was the arc Light.
Speaker 2: That was like the place to go to to see a movie.
Speaker 3: This is before all the theaters were doing big reclining chairs. The idea the thing was you go to the arc Light. And remember how the thing with arc Light was they're not gonna waste your time with thirty minutes of previews. Well that went away, but for a while that was like the only place where you could also get a drink beforehand, and they had a Buffalo wild Wings when we used to frequent that a lot, big fan of that. I used to love Buffalo wild Wings, but it always fascinated me. How that is like prime real estate on Ventura Boulevard and Supulvida and the vast majority of that mall has always been empty. There's like, you know, some cooked, crooked, fake community college in there. There's a movie theater, there's a gym, there's maybe one or two restaurants the DSW, but there's no real stores in there. It is the strangest thing to me. Maybe they've just made it too expensive. It's it's an interesting concept. I just got this email in I believe this is a AI generation of the highest and best use of real estate property, Randy. We learned in business school that highest and best used HABO, Hey, we use that term here at cumulus is the reasonable, probable, legal, and optimal use of a property for vacant land that results in the highest market value and economic return subject to tangible and intangible jurisdictional constraints. HABOO dictates what a property should be used for, not what it's used for. Right now, I had here that a city or jurisdiction can add constraints in order to assolve a broader problem, say a need for more housing, but the jurisdiction and its stakeholders should not overly interfere in letting the market and its decision makers, which include investors, not only contractors and developers, decide on highest and best use the five core tests. To qualify as the highest and best use, the potential must pass four sequential tests. Legally permissible that applies with zoning laws, building codes, and deed restrictions, coordinating with the jurisdiction's objectives. Recognizing that a permit to build may never materialize without working with the the authority having some jurisdiction over the permit, like a county or of a city, give the jurisdiction something they want among their municipal objectives, like a small public park at the edge of a department complex. Is it physically possible, must match the size, shape, and soil and access limits. Is it economically or financially feasible. Must produce enough income to value at cover a building and operating costs. Is it maximumly productive out of all feasible options. It must yield the highest net return and land value. Why it matters in development. It redefines old assets. An aging warehouse and a booming residential zone may be worth more demolished than operated. It guides investment developers use Haabuu when decide to what to rezone, tear down to build higher density projects, and it changes over time, shifting neighborhoods are now new highways, concerted old farm fields, and a commercial retail land. The build environment remains as built for many decades following construction, so these decisions should not be made without serious and lengthy consideration. That all is very interesting. It still fascinates me when you have that property that I talked about on woodleyand Victory, where both of the retail slots have been vacant for years. The only person making money on that parking lot is the Leo's taco truck, and I can't imagine they're paying that much to the landlord to park their truck there to get their alpast store tacos. So in that specific situation, I would be very curious what is the highest and best use of this commercial real estate lot, because I would think it would be to tear it down because advertising this massive sign that for lease and zoned for potstore hasn't worked.
Speaker 2: It's just it's confusing to me.
Speaker 3: And when you have certain spaces where the only tenants are obvious criminal organizations, smoke shops and massage parlors, is that truly the highest and best use of that property? And if it is, maybe the local leaders need to change what those incentives are. Thank y'all so much for listening to the show. Check out the Accountability podcast right now. Go to Johnny Don't Like dot Com. That's Johnny Don't Like dot Com. It's the news Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk radio seven ninety KABC