Speaker 1: Now back to murphin Markets on the Sports Leader streaming live on the sports Leader dot com at KNBR the Sports Leader app.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back on the murphin Market show on a Friday morning, and you know the routine every Friday morning. Right around a fifteen, we check in with Susan Slusser from the San Francisco Chronicle.
Speaker 3: And Susan, it feels.
Speaker 2: Like this is a reoccurring theme where Murph's on vacation on a Friday. We've got John Dickinson filling in once again. Susan, how you doing this morning?
Speaker 4: Murphy's doing something right. That's that's all I gotta say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And Susan, we should have our own podcast. At this point, I feel I feel like, no matter where you are I am, no matter where I am, you are, it's great. But I just it's like, I think we need to like capitalize on this somehow.
Speaker 6: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's do it. We're always here. Where's Murph?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Murph is on vacation again. He's actually out on the East Coast checking in on his kid who has joined the Naval academy. So he is out on the East Coast. At the end of pleab summer checking in on his boy. But we'll be back on Monday, and I think he's scheduled to work next Friday as well, so we will eventually get the return of Brian Murphy. But Susan, let's talk about the news yesterday that we got about the eventual departure of Mike Cruco. He announced yesterday that he will be stepping out of the broadcast booth at the end of this season after thirty six years on the radio and on TV. I should say, Susan, your reaction and just your thoughts on Mike Cruco announcing his retirement.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a day nobody ever wanted to come, including Mike, and I talked to Mike briefly, but it's just not you know, Kruk and Kipe they're so special. They're so special. When I first moved over to covering the Giants after our you know, a million years on the A's, people would always ask me like, like, what's the best thing about covering the Giants, And people would automatically think I was going to say the ballpark, which of course is great, but it's Kruk and Kite number one by far, and I think that they're always number one in every pole of like what giants fans like the most and value the most about the team. So I think that's we can all agree on that they're just the best and Krucos and also just an amazing human being. Everybody I texted to ask to talk to about Kruko when I was writing the story yesterday, everybody got back to me.
Speaker 5: And that is so rare from your view, what separates him and them as a duo from the just the numerous other greats, because the Bay Area is just littered with grates everywhere every team in terms of broadcasters. But yet those two, in their own way, have sort of separated themselves from a group of life jins.
Speaker 4: Frankly, yeah, it is unusual, and you know, you're right, we are so lucky in the Berryer. I think this is just about as rich history for sports broadcasting as anywhere in the country, maybe even better. But those two, you know, it's unusual to have teammates as players who are then broadcasters together. I think that's one thing. They know each other so well. But it's really it's the warmth and the sense of humor, the empathy, and Kruco really you know, he's the driving force I think there with the like the empathy Jeff Kent, who's not well, he didn't used to be warmon fuzzy Now I think now the new Jeff Kent is a little bit more warm and fuzzy. But he said the real thing for him with Kruco is his ability to really portray what a player is dealing with, what a player is going through, his loyalty to the players, like he never lost that and so he can really, you know, with a lot of empathy, explain exactly what is going through a player's mind. And Will Clark said he's the guy who kind of introduces players for all the fans, anybody that follows the Giants and makes them San Francisco Giants. So they kind of both said almost the same thing, like he just gets the players.
Speaker 2: The Giants have announced that they do plan on celebrating Mike Cruco's career in legacy during the final regular season game of the season against the Dodgers September twenty seventh at Oracle Park. So Susan moving forward and moving on from the Mike Cruco conversation, talking about who could potentially be in the lineup on September twenty seventh, because the Giants made a lot of trades at this year's trade deadline, shipping away six different active players off the major league roster. Let's start with Elliott Ramos, who I know you reported on for a couple of weeks on the thought of him being traded. Well, it happened just a few minutes before the trade deadline. He gets shipped out for the New York Yankees in a trade package that returns a camp to the Giants organization. But your thoughts on the Elliot Ramas trade overall in the return package that the Giants got, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I think we knew that a lot of this, so it's coming, maybe not all of it. Six is a lot to come off a roster, But Elliott Ramos was the one that teams were had scouts with the most. Like, whenever I saw scout and we'd start chit chatting, I'd say, like, what kind of need is your team? You know, what are you looking for? And they'd all say, right right handed hitting outfielder. Who's pretty clear that he was the guy. So I wasn't surprised, but we're all sad because what you know, I'll talk about another special human being, somebody that plays with a ton of joy and just a wonderful to deal with. So I know fans don't necessarily care about that stuff, but that buster Coat could return. I felt like on all of this, and I checked in with a bunch of scouts and development people and Baseball America people things like that, and the consensus was the Giants did very well with all of these returns. And that's what you have to do this time of year. If you're a team in this situation.
Speaker 5: Where do you think that the Giants are in terms of the prospects that they got in return the draft, the young players that are, you know, at the lower level levels of the minor league system. In essence, you could make the claim, hey, you know, maybe into twenty eight, twenty nine, thirty beyond looks really bright at least on paper as much as you know anybody can know about players that aren't in the major leagues. Yet, how do you think that works with the plan for maybe twenty twenty seven and twenty twenty eight in terms of goals and talent and still having a lot of veteran players pinned in to their starting lineup.
Speaker 3: Next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think it's like a full full rebuild or anything. And I knowing Buster Posey the way we all do, I don't see him as a guy who's like, yeah, we just won't contend for the next couple of years. I think he certainly would like to do that with this group. And then we'll know whether or not that's the case when we see what they do in free agency. Obviously, the potential lockout, well not even potential, the lockout kind of you know, confuses that, like when exactly do they stop at start adding, But they will at some point, and if they rebuild their bullpen, they're expecting that they will try to contend next year, and they should because they do have some pieces that could do it, and they need obviously probably a couple more starting pitchers. But right now they do need to sort through this group of upper level prospects that they have. That's what this last two is about. There are guys here who can and will help them next year, and they need to know they need to know who. I also think this is a good two month stretch for Tony Vitello. He is a guy who is very comfortable coaching younger players. That is definitely his background, and I think he's going to really relish kind of helping all of these players maximize their potential. That's what he's done his entire career is help young players do that.
Speaker 2: One of those young players, one of those young prospects that the Giants got in return at the trade deadline that could potentially make an impact as soon as the season is Marcela Meyer for the Boston Red Sox. He's somebody that was a top five draft picked a couple year years ago, has been touted as one of the best prospects in baseball. Susan, what can you tell us about his recovery from injury right now and if there are any game plans to try to get him on the major league roster as soon as the season.
Speaker 4: Well, he was slated to be seen by a team medical on Wednesday, so and yesterday was an off day, so I don't think the team will have any information necessarily on where they feel like Marcelo is medically until today. But you know, I don't think that there was any idea that, you know, say he's going to miss the rest of the season. I think he would probably join the Giants as soon as he's cleared, and he really profiles as a guy who is potentially a fresh start guy. I think things, you know, sometimes want to prospect for a long time just doesn't quite you know. And with Marcella Meyer it's mostly been injuries, doesn't quite pan out, Things can kind of go a little bit sour for everybody. Fresh start is perfect. I think the Giants probably have a lot of ideas and the best thing of all is Marcello Meyer comes in and gets to work with Ron Washington, which for any infielder's just got to be a dream come true. So I think this is a really interesting deal. And you know, the Giants get a name, kind of prospect and an opportunity here again, Tony Vaitello, do your magic.
Speaker 3: Susan, I'm curious.
Speaker 5: You know, big part of the weekend is that the Wall of Fame ceremony, and you've got Posey and Belt and Panic and Brandon Crawford, Pablo Santoval all going on the Wall of Fame. They were all the homegrown infield that was a part of the last championship team in twenty fourteen. I know you were covering the A's at the time, but you would come over as one of the lead riders in the game during some of the runs when the A's maybe were out to cover the playoffs and World Series and different things. I'm curious though, more just your perspective on the Giants as somebody at that time that wasn't covering the Giants but was covering baseball on a day to day basis, just in terms of kind of what they had going with a lot of the young players that they developed that ultimately became a part of that core, and then just kind of how you view it all now as you've gotten to know and cover some of these guys in a different in a different way, in different roles. I know, Crawford was around for a time obviously when you were covering the Giants. Just sort of all of that from somebody that's that's covered the game for such a long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I always loved coming over here, and of course we saw the Giants quite a lot in the spring, and you know, during the Interleague and that kind of thing, but just so professionally run jumped out always and when it came to that core. It's kind of a little bit what we were talking about before this is you know, look at how what the Dodgers have done, look at what that Giants team did. These were that infield, like this is home grown guys. Now, the Giants did a fantastic job with also then going and getting older relievers who became you know, absolute hallmark of that team too, which is exactly what this team is going and I have to do. I mean, absolutely they need to go out and find a sort of or four on the free agent market. But there's some similarities. Jeremie Alfha talks a lot about this year in terms of two thousand and nine, uh and how that was sort of the step toward the championship years, and there might be something to that. So that's that's one thing. But then coming over and covering I said this from the get go, when it came over and started covering the Giants after the pandemic, was watching Brandon Crawford every day, like, you know, he's a good shortstop, you know he's a good hitter. You know when you're covered, when you're watching from Afar and you're watching highlights and stuffs, when you watch him every day, Oh my gosh. And that twenty twenty one season was just outrageous you know, he was truly great and that was that was really really fun, was watching that. He's the best shortstop I've covered on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: Wow, that says a lot, well, Susan. The Giants will be celebrating those championship years this week and with five members going on the Hall of Fame. Enjoyed the ceremony, enjoy seeing some familiar faces. And I'll try to get Murph to work next Friday for by the next time we talk to you, Susan.
Speaker 4: Fantastic.
Speaker 2: There she is Susan Slusser from the San Francisco Chronicle talking about everything involved in the San Francisco Giants, from Mike Cruko's retirement to this year's trade deadline to the Hall of Fame ceremony this week. And all right, let's hop into the Cruco of content. That's right, it's time for the cooler of content, where we have found.
Speaker 3: Through Walter's deep research, some.
Speaker 2: Of the best sounds and stories throughout Mike Cruco's career. Eightaway cambi Are is the number if you want to put Walton Curley to work and make them dig up some deep, deep stories that Mike Cruco has told on these airwaves. We'll do that next as it's JD and Marcus on the Murphy Market Show on the Sports Leader KMBR The Sports Leader.
Speaker 6: All right, everyone, Jill, this.
Speaker 3: Is the cooler.
Speaker 2: He's betting a cooler.
Speaker 6: Of content, corn capacious, of joyful news.
Speaker 7: It might be all thet time.
Speaker 1: Now back to murphin Markets on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Hopping back into the Cooler of content, or as today we're calling it, the Cruco of Content. And of course the Cooler of Content is sponsored by Marine Health with tap physicians, surgeons and clinicians.
Speaker 3: Right here into North Bay.
Speaker 2: Marine Health puts you closer to your best health, world class care, closer than you think. And yes, today's cooler of content is all Mike Kruco.
Speaker 3: And if you're just waking up this morning wondering why we're doing in all Mike.
Speaker 2: Cruco Cooler of Content, it's because you missed the news yesterday that came out right after our show, right around ten am, that Mike Kruco will be stepping aside from the broadcast booth. This will be his last season broadcasting games for the San Francisco Giants, wrapping up a thirty six year career on air calling games. This comes after playing fourteen years of Major League baseball, a man that has literally dedicated fifty years of his life to Major League baseball, and he goes deeper and deeper beyond that, going back to the college days, the high school days, and Mike Cruco growing up down in southern California to now bringing Giants Baseball to the airwaves in Northern California for the last thirty six years. So let's hop into the cooler and check out some of the best sound that we've heard from Mike Cruco over the past couple of years. And of course we got to go straight to the championship, the first one in San Francisco twenty ten, the first parade and the first victory speech from Mike Cruco down at City Hall. Let's go back to twenty ten, Walter. Here was Mike Cruco with his iconic story of San Francisco speech after the Giants' first World Series in San Francisco.
Speaker 8: How great was that parade? I know everybody up here felt it, and I know you felt it, and everybody here today you are standing here and you are not standing alone. You are standing with the person that taught you the great story of the San Francisco Giants. Whether it be your dad or your mom, or a friend or your sister or your grandpa, they taught you right. They taught you you had to be loyal, You had to love your team. And to a man on this team, this twenty ten team, to a man back in August, they plugged into you, and you fueled and energized this group all the way through the crazy month of September and into what is an epic month of October, and what is one glorious day in November. And you have but one response, and you owe it to the person that taught you the good book, San Francisco Giants. You need to pass this story on, keep this love alive.
Speaker 9: And when you tell the story, simply tell them we're the Giants or San Francisco and.
Speaker 3: We are the world champions.
Speaker 2: We're the Giants, We're San Francisco and we're World Series champions. Truly an iconic speech, a speech that still gives me goosebumps to this day, JD.
Speaker 3: Because he's right. At one point.
Speaker 2: In your lives, you were taught the game of baseball, and you were taught about the San Francisco Giants. It could be a mother, a father, a grandmother, a grandfather, the lineage, the way that the sport of baseball can connect different generations. And Mike Kruco has been one of the narrators for that book of Giants Baseball, and it's part of our job to continue that message and pass it down to the next generation. But it's all going to circle back to that speech. The first ever World Series parade here in the city of San Francius just tremendous.
Speaker 5: I mean to listen back to it and to sort of go back in time, honestly and just appreciate how special that run truly was. And a big part of the reason why that run was so special was because there had been so much heartbreak before, honestly for the Giants fan base. But yet such a beloved franchise, and why are they such a beloved franchise.
Speaker 3: It's, of course the great players.
Speaker 5: That have come through the decades, But as much as it is about the great players, it's about how the game is consumed. It's about how you watch the game, how you go to the game, how you listen to the game, how you experience it on television. And it was always going to be special winning a World series, let alone three always is, and we're focused on the first one here with that speech. But I think a big part of the reason why so many were in tiers and had such a special, special bond with that group was the connection that they built with the team through Mike Kruco and Dwaynekuiper.
Speaker 2: Yes, because Mike Cruco and Dwayne Kuiper went through the dog days, the struggles, the World Series losses that we do not need to bring up. But these guys are a part of the fabric, a part of the culture. And yeah, JD, it's the easiest joke to make. You never forget your first But the Giants weren't done quite yet. Even though that celebration was wild, guess what they got to do it two more times in the next five years twenty ten, twenty twelve, twenty fourteen, all ended with championship parades. Here's a compilation of Mike Cruco's best moments, some of his best quotes, all put together in a quick thirty second package from the championship parades.
Speaker 9: And once again they could say it loudly, we are San Francisco. Where are the World champions?
Speaker 10: Your belief, your pride is the backbone of every accomplishment they've ever had, and it allows me to stand here before you again today for the third time in five years, and I could say, we are the Giants, we are San Francisco.
Speaker 9: So where are the World champions?
Speaker 2: I mean it gets even better and better every single year, every single championship. Not sure how the Giants are planning on honoring the legacy of Mike Kruco, but you can throw that quote on the bricks out in right field if you want. We are Giants, we are San Francisco, We are World Series Champions JD.
Speaker 5: Yeah, amazing And just what a we're talking about this with Bruce Bochie. I mean just the the knowledge but also you know, just the respect that the players had for him because of the fact that he was a player, the fact that he was able to bond with the coaching staff and the manager. But then he just has such a way about the way he carries himself and the sense of humor and just the eloquence in stating things that that just that just bond you with this this franchise.
Speaker 2: And he knows how to connect with everybody a filming, everybody, with the fans, with the players, with radio hosts like Murphy and myself. I mean, he literally connects with everyone, including his coworkers. One of the best teams in baseball currently right now.
Speaker 5: Just a master communicator on so many different levels. And Susan Slusser brought this up, and I was gonna follow, and then we kind of got into different parts of the conversation. But the blend of the empathy and the humor of Mike with Dwayne's more kind of laid back, edgy, little edgy, little.
Speaker 3: Little you know, make you, you know, make you think.
Speaker 5: That he's about to pop off and say something, you know, a little a little angry or something. It just it just works. A little snarky, a little dry. Like the combination of both is just so perfect for those reasons.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a perfect fit.
Speaker 2: And we've seen it throughout their chemistry throughout the years, and like that's the thing for Mike that's always stood out. He doesn't take himself too seriously in the broadcast booth, which is important now. He definitely takes his job serious with the amount of prep and knowledge that he has, but he's also able to laugh at himself or laugh at other people on the broadcast or try out new home run calls that maybe is blending in all of his coworkers because, of course, as I mentioned, working with the great team of Dwayne Kuiper, John Miller, and Dave Fleming as well, Mike Kruco's not afraid to mess around and maybe just throw all of their home run calls together.
Speaker 3: High drive to last it is.
Speaker 2: Gone. I've always loved that, from the kype and the John Miller home run calls to the Dave Fleming go on, like the fact that he's not afraid to break his own voice just to you know, bust the balls of Dave Fleming a little bit, just shows the type of guy that he is in the type of relationship that they all have.
Speaker 7: JD.
Speaker 3: It's just it's second to none. I mean, it just it.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's hard to explain, but it's easy to see because because it doesn't need to be explained, it's it's easy to hear. I mean, it's just it's just tremendous that the chemistry that that they all have. But it's you know, the preparation is the other thing you were going in on. The preparation. I mean every pitcher every pitch, explain the mentality of certain counts, certain in game situations depending upon the hitter, where you are in the game. How about the umpire scouting report, Like how about how about having a clearly a page or a card or something in his notes with every umpire a book probably that that he keeps and I think he's referenced keeping it as a player, as a pitcher, you know who's the home played up, what are their tendencies learning those different kinds of things to be able to know how you can compete to the highest level on that day. I mean just and that still stands out because I think you can, as as broadcasters generally speaking, get older, and you can you notice certain areas of maybe the preps not there, like just you not calling anybody out or anything like that, but you can just kind of notice like maybe the preparation is not there. With Mike specifically two to the to Sunday, the last you know, the last game that he called Sunday when he was doing it in the studio and Kype was down. I mean it just that he is on every little detail of what these guys are doing and going through.
Speaker 2: And every single day JD not only just at the ballpark, but the fact that he's been joining us on the Morning show for I don't know how long. I mean, Murf's been doing this damn near going on twenty two years. I've been a part of the Morning show for six now since I started back in twenty twenty. And every Monday, Wednesday Friday during the regular season, you hear the voice of Mike Cruco. Even during the off season when we're breaking down forty nine Ers versus Seahawks tape. He's joining us every Tuesday and Thursday during the off season. Just a constant pro and a staple of the Morning Show, which is why I want to end it with this clip when we celebrated the twenty year anniversary for my guy Murph. I know he's on vacation today, but I love this voicemail that I got Mike Kruco to leave for my man Murph to celebrate his twenty year anniversary here at CAMBI are well.
Speaker 6: This is Mike Kruco, and I just want to say that I like hard men, and Brian Murphy is.
Speaker 7: A hard man.
Speaker 6: You consider his career path from Marin, where he loved all Bay Area sports hard. Then he went down to Ucla, the heart of southern California, and he became a hard core Ruin. And then it was off to writing about golf, which is very hard. And then probably the hardest thing of all, Well, it's doing the morning show for twenty years. Twenty years, Murph. I can't believe it, but I expect it. You love hard, you live hard, and we love you for it.
Speaker 7: Happy anniversary, meet.
Speaker 2: Round of applause for the one and only Mike Kruco and JD. Guess what It's going to be hard for all of us to say goodbye at the end of the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it absolutely is. I think it is great though that we know in advance. I think that is one thing if you had to choose, like to get not not maybe a full year of knowing, and you know, I wonder what the process was like. It doesn't really matter in terms of him thinking his way through it. But the timing of the announcement I think is is quality because it gives us enough time to appreciate for the remainder of the season everything that he's brought, and honor him and just kind of know, because you know, so often we don't necessarily know, and it just kind of winds up happening and you maybe look back and think that you didn't appreciate the end as much. So I think it's great for everybody involved that we all know the way things are gonna end here over the next couple months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if I can sneak in a riff on a Friday morning, it also gives us a reason to watch Giants baseball for the remainder.
Speaker 3: Of the season. I wasn't gonna go the cynical route I had to. I wasn't going so hanging through we flip flopped on that.
Speaker 2: I had to take it, regardless of the final score on the scoreboard. Watching Kruk and Kipe, Listening to Kruk and Kipe for the rest of the season is going to be a delight.
Speaker 3: JD now one hundred percent accurate and true. And yeah, I'm glad.
Speaker 5: I'm glad somebody else went there, because I want to focus on the positive part of it.
Speaker 3: Be positive, bro, well, we'll be positive.
Speaker 2: When we talked to Mike Kruco on Monday, he set to rejoin the rotation. Murph will be back Monday. Mike Kruco will be back Monday, All Things will be right in the world will get you your hums and bums, and a full extensive breakdown of Mike Cruko's decision a step away from the broadcast booth after thirty six years and three World Series titles.
Speaker 3: Well, guess what.
Speaker 2: The man that was in charge of the team on the field, Bruce Bochi, joined us earlier this morning at seven thirty. We're going to replay it for the eight fifty nine am crowd. We'll do that next with Bruce Bochi's thoughts on the legendary career of Mike Cruco.
Speaker 6: You love hard, you live hard, and.
Speaker 7: We love you for it.
Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the sports Leader dot com at knbr V sports Leader app.
Speaker 2: All right, what a treat this is on a Friday morning on the Murph and Markey Show, Marcus Bouschet and John Dixon. Back again on a Friday and usually at seven point thirty. We talked to Mike Cruco every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Mike Cruco taking an off day today with his big announcement yesterday. So how about Mike Cruco calling to the bullpen and calling up. Our next guest joining us on the UMMA guest line, the four time World Series Champion, the Man That Bought brought three World Series titles to the city of San Francisco, The one and only Bruce Bochie joining us this morning, Boach, Your boy Murph is on vacation, So it's Marcus Bouchet and John Dickinson on the Morning Show today. How you doing Boach?
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, I'm doing well. Thanks thanks for having me on. Well, Murph's all right though, He's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Murph's doing all right. He's on vacation.
Speaker 2: He'll be back on Monday to talk about the broadcasting career of Mike Cruco and Boach. Of course, we want to thank you for coming on the show today, but really we should be thinking Mike Cruco, who did some double booking getting you on the show today. Mike Cruco, one of a kind, good enough to get you back on the Morning Show today.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll tell you I was done. You know, I was shocked. I didn't see this coming. You know. Now I have a chance to listen to him, you know when I was managing that, you know I did obviously, Uh, you know, I get to listen to many games. But uh, yeah, I'm gonna miss him. I'm sad because I'm not gonna I'm not gonna be able to listen to him. But I'm happy for haying Jennifer. You know, as they enjoy, you know, step down, enjoy retirement.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: But you know Kruke, Uh, I mean he was so good to me. You know, when I came up here in two thousand and seven, I still remember, you know, he was part of Uh. He influenced the culture of the Giants. I really believe that, you know, because he always preached family. Uh. First thing he did to me is showed me the secret handshake that the Giants have and uh. And so he just welcomed me in the best way. And all the years that I was able to spend with him, you know, throughout the season, riding the buzz with he and Kype and you know, they they were good to me. You know, there were so many times I was probably frustrated with the game, and uh, but they say something funny or do something that, you know, to get me out of and get me back in a good mood. I just I just think the world of him. And I tell you there's times he make me laughs, and he wouldn't know it. You know, he had this He'd come in the come house every day and he stopped by the office and if there was, you know, somebody not in the lineup that he wanted to line up, he'd come in and say, Hey, he's so and so hurt, and I go, no, he's fine. He he he would just turn around walk out, So I knew he didn't agree with my lineup. But uh, you know, he's he was just so good at what he would, you know, at what he did. He was entertaining, and they just had great knowledge of the game. And uh, I really have gotten a chance to appreciate those two even more now that I listened to him every game. And I'm gonna miss him, no doubt, but I'm sure he'll be around and I just wish him the best. And I just think how lucky we all were, you know, to be able to have him around.
Speaker 5: Boat You you talk about the impact that that he had on the Giant's culture and even in turnerly, you know, in your role and being around the players and obviously around the team for so long, but so much of him along with Kaype is just the connection that's built with the Giants fan base, and obviously in addition to the success that you guys had, it just it created such a joy and passion among the fan base and connection to the team that's just really unique in sports and special now that you've had a little time to kind of reflect and watch the broadcast a little bit more from being around those guys, I mean, just just speak to the connection between the fan base, the team and just.
Speaker 3: How it all kind of tied together.
Speaker 5: Of the magic of kind of the era, because it truly transcends decades. It's why people thirty years from now are going to be Giants fans because of the impact of those two as broadcasters.
Speaker 7: Right right, and and you're you're right on there. I mean, they they have such a great chemistry, and they were so easy to listen to, and uh, you know when you're watching a game, and you know, there's some games that I have watched and you know, and I don't want to go too far with this, because you know, they weren't I listened to announcers and I go, man, we are lucky, We are so lucky to have these two because uh, you know, they were funny. Uh again, they talked to the game of baseball. Uh, you know, they kept things light, but you know that they love the Giants and that that always came out. Well you know how much uh you know, they cared about the team, how much they wanted to win, and and so you know, I think every every club, it's just so important for them to have a spokesman for for the team. I've been Scully for example. Uh, you know, and these these two were the heart of San Francisco Giants and people just got connected with them and connected with the team, and that plays a huge role in the following that you have. You go to a game, and I know things haven't gone well this year, but I'm still amazed, you know, all the people that come to the game, and I think a lot of that says a lot about Crew and Kaipe however, how much they fall in love with the team, and they play a big part of it because they are the voice. They're the ones that are bringing the fans in to become fans of the team.
Speaker 2: Mike, We've been lucky enough here, excuse me, Bruce, We've been lucky enough here on the morning show to be able to interview Mike Cruco three times a week. Murf's been doing it for twenty one years. I've been a part of the morning show for the last six years, and once I got on air, it felt like a right of passage to have a conversation with both Kruk and Kype.
Speaker 3: So I'm oneing behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: As a player in this organization, it almost feels like a right of passage, Like you're not really a San Francisco Giant until you have that interaction with Mike Kruco and Dwayne Kuiper and they have the ability to relate to these players.
Speaker 3: As former players are themselves.
Speaker 2: Talk about that connection we just talked about with the fan base, but also with the players throughout the organization who get the honor of being able to talk to Crook and Kype about the game of baseball.
Speaker 7: Right, you know, players that come here, you know, it doesn't take long to realize how big these two are. I mean, they are the definition forever giants, and uh, you know, and they're always around. You know, they come in, they talk to the players. Uh, they come in the clubhouse. You know, they're the definition of forever giants. I mean, uh, I mean you look at Kruk, I mean, what what a great career he had for the San Francisco Giants. He goes back to Candlestick and uh and Dan to look at, you know, what he's done as a broadcaster. He and Kuype and and both of them like you, like you said, they played and uh. So there's a deep respect there, I think. But in the fact that they're always around and uh and they see the players, see how beloved they are in this city, and so I've always just admired, you know, how good they are. But how they interact with the players, you know, on a daily basis, including on the road. I know Mike he was limited, you know lately, he couldn't go on the road like he used to. But what he did that they would come to the clubhouse. They were always around. They would talk baseball too with these players. So yeah, yeah, so anyway, again, we were lucky to have them around.
Speaker 3: Boach.
Speaker 5: Let's switch gears a little bit and talk about what's coming up this weekend with the Wall of Fame and Buster Posey and Brandon Bell and Brandon Crawford and Pablo Sandoval along with Joe Panic all going up on the Wall of Fame. Coming up on Saturday. How appropriate is it for all of those guys to go on together considering what they meant to your runs in different ways in twenty ten and fourteen, and being that, you know in the with the fourteen team having that entirely homegrown infield.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well they meant everything to our club and just on the field, but in that clubhouse. You know what these guys did. I mean, that's rare. That's a rare deal when you have the whole infield it's homegrown, and so you know, we were really fortunate, you know, to have this happen, and the credit has to go to the scouts first of all, the guys that got them in our system. But you know, there's something special about a group like this that come up together, you know, through the minor leagues and playing you know, together in major leagues again, there's that chemistry. There's that you know, there's something about wearing that uniform San Francisco Giants might even mean little bit more because that's that's that's they came up and anyway, they all brought something a little bit different. You know, Pablo with his energy, how infectious that was. Crawford of course, with his elite defense, his clutch plays and at bats Joe, Yeah, just a steadiness, Joe panicfare and and about who we talked about when he just you know, when he had his retirement thing, his sense of humor, and he's the one that closed out all the deals, making the picks and helping these guys out if their throws a little bit off. And where Buster was a leader that just made everybody better. And so you know, for us to had have the whole infield come like this, come up like this is the reason I think we won these championships. They just had a calmness about him. They they didn't get too up, they didn't get down. You know, they were just you know, kind of you know, they a little bit of a flat line in a good way. You know. Paba was you know, he was the wild Salion out there, but the rest of them had that calmness and that really works in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Bruce Bochie is the voice of Here this Morning on the UMA guest line ahead of this weekend's Wall of Fame ceremony, and Bruce, going back to the twenty ten World Series parade, Mike Cruco said that this is the good book of Giants, Baseball and it's our duty to pass along the story of the San Francisco Giants franchise. Well, you can't tell the story without those five wall of famers going on the wall this weekend. So how important is it for you and the organization to keep these guys around? I know Busters back as the president of Baseball Operation, Joe Panic is back in the organization as a roving instructor.
Speaker 3: How important is it for.
Speaker 2: Giants fans of the next generation to acknowledge these guys and for the organization to have these guys back involved or around this weekend?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, these guys helped make a story organizations franchise even more storied with with what they did in ten, twelve, and fourteen, and and it doesn't happen without them. And these are memories that they helped great for all of us, include myself. I know how lucky I was to, you know, have these guys out there and and then the fans just fell in love with them, and they were winners and and they embody what you what you want to see in a San Francisco Giant. So it is important I think that you know, they hang around and uh and just and so eight, even a younger player, So so they get to, you know, know who they are and what they were about. And because that decade, i mean, come on, that's that was so special and I'm just happy that they're all going to be here. I look forward to seeing everybody, including a lot of coaches that have come in, a lot of players. They're such great they created so many great memories for us. And all those hands.
Speaker 5: Even belt, you're looking at you, look you're looking forward to stand belt.
Speaker 7: It's always good to see Bell. We like getting them belt, you know. He he's the one we had fun with and he's so good and he's so good to giving it back to you. But yeah, I'd look forward to seeing the big donkeys.
Speaker 2: We had a Busser posy on our show yesterday and I was joking with him. I asked him, if you had to assign roles within the organization for each one of your teammates, what would be the roles you would sign. He said he would assigned Brandon Bell as the sleep specialist for the team. Bruce, I'll ask you, I'll ask you the same question if you had to give each of these guys one specific role, if it's a actual legit coaching role or just a job title you would make up? What job roles would you give in the organization for guys like Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Joe Panic and Pablo Sandibal.
Speaker 7: Pablo. I probably give him a mental skills job. Is he just played a game the way you should play the game. Uh, with enthusiasm, laugh, have fun. Uh. So I put him there. I think obviously you got to put Crawford. He'd be the defensive guy. Joe. Uh, you know what, Joe, I kind of had to put there too. Outsteady he was, as far as you know, on the mental side. But to help Crawford out on the defense too. He could be a two way guy buster nold it on Bell. I can't come up with anything close to that. That's that's that's where he should be. And uh and and buster uh me he could work with catchers pitchers and uh and uh and just assume the leadership role with the guys and talk about leading and talk about.
Speaker 5: Winning uh honor honorary nod for for Crawford as what team DJ right because he was always the guy kind of running the music for for the others. And and and how about how about hairstylist for for kraw.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, no, you're right, DJ, Now, DJ, I don't know that he didn't. He didn't know it with that as far as I'm concerned. But with the players he did. But no, he's he was on top of that.
Speaker 2: So no, two good points there, Yeah, Bruce, Just to wrap it up here, last couple of minutes before I let you go, just a reflection on this season for the Giants, because look, you managed for a long time in Major League Baseball, you dealt with some of the highs and lows, and this season has not gone as.
Speaker 3: Expected for this team this year on the field.
Speaker 2: So for Tony Vaitelo, first year manager, what are some of the things that maybe he could take away from going through this experience more lows and highs, and what you can take away still from this season when you're not having the most success on the field.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, with with anything, whether it's hitting, pitching, and I'll say coaching, manager or manager, it's it's reps. Just getting a lot of reps, so you know you're gonna learned. You never stop learning in this game. I said that about myself, even you know my later years, I was always trying to learn to get better and and Tony's really smart and he's doing that, you know, whether it's how to handle players or game situations, all those things. It's just rep seeing. The more you see the game, the more you slow it down. And uh, you know, this team's had to deal with a lot and and my hope is, yeah, we moved some players, but you know that they played good baseball. The silver lining through all this is, uh, you know, he's going to get a chance to see a lot of these players that we brought up and uh, and continue to get those important reps. And because you you never know, you can get on the roll. I I you know, I look at Boston. I mean they they've gone thirty one and five, they were done, they were out of it, and then look look where they're at now. So I'm not saying that you know it's going to happen, but you never know. You know, with the club you know that can turn around, just play better baseball and more consistent baseball. And yeah, they're missing some pieces now, but we're getting a chance to see some of these guys and so I'm sure you know, there's a lot of things he can tell you now that he's learned, or he might do a little bit different. I said the same thing every year. You know, you're always looking at something what could have done to do better? That's what we ask ourselves.
Speaker 5: How often over your managerial career, would would you think back in a year where things were going well about maybe years where things didn't, But there were parts of the team that the good team that were you know, also on the team that struggled that we're able to you know, grow and develop and be a part of the good years.
Speaker 7: Yeah. No, every year is different. Just like a game, a season just takes the life of its own. And and so you know, guys, they're gonna go up and down. They're gonna have their streaks or bad streaks.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know, ball's gonna bounce your way. Calls uh are gonna bounce your way, and you know, some years it doesn't happen. I've been asked a lot, well, how come we couldn't go back to back and uh, but a lot of reasons that would come in. You know, one could be the health of the club. One could be the play, how the players are performing. Uh, you know, the luck factor, things like that, and uh so I just try to go in that clubhouse the same way every day, and and and just think what I could do, you know, to to help the club, Uh, you know, get back to winning baseball. It's frustrating when you know, it's frustrating for me when you know, we win a championship and we the next year we would talk about and you know, we can't get complacent whatever. And I don't think the players ever were, but it just shows you how hard it is to win a championship.
Speaker 2: Bruce, Always appreciate your time. I know it's a big weekend for you. A lot of familiar faces. Actually, last thing before you would let you go, we had Tim Flannery on the show earlier this week from a top of the mountain, calling in talking about how he's going to be gimming this week and with Jake Peevey and the Lunatic Fringe. He wanted me to ask if there's any chance he can get you back on stage as a backup singer.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, you know, he got me up there down in Poway, San Diego, And yeah, that's as nervous as I've ever been. But yeah, yeah, I've gotta find out where he's playing. I haven't got that invite back, so I don't think I was very good.
Speaker 2: We'll make sure to get you back in stage. Looking forward to seeing you back at the ballpark this weekend. You're the best, Bruce. Appreciate you joining us this morning.
Speaker 7: Guys, Thanks for having me on. Good talking with you.
Speaker 2: Always a privilege to have the one and only Bruce Bouchie back on the morning show once again. We'll get back into some of these Mike Kruco discussions with some of our favorite stories that we have deep down on the Z Drive. Part two of the Kruk of Content is up next. It's Marcus Bouchet and John Dickinson film and for Merth this morning, I'm the sports Leader AMBRB Sports Leader