Speaker 1: All right, welcome back sportsphone.
Speaker 2: On a Friday night final segment, John Dickinson here with you. Coming up in about ten minutes is Niners Nightly, our special Niners Nightly after Dark.
Speaker 1: I like these.
Speaker 2: We had one of these on Tuesday, another one tonight. A busy week for the forty nine Ers as they spent the last few days down in Los Angeles, the nice win in preseason game number two over the Chargers, and joining me to discuss that and everything else as we lead into Niners Nightly is of course, the great Larry Krueger.
Speaker 1: What's going on? Krug JD?
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Niners forty one seventeen. I guess maybe that joint practice nightmare that everybody was talking about, maybe it wasn't that big of a deal.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where I wanted to start, because I think, and we talked about this in the same segment on Tuesday night, the fact that it wasn't the forty nine ers best day really on either side of the ball on Tuesday down at the Chargers practice facilit and you were down there, and I think there was a lot of concern, and I know you laid out exactly what meant the most to you or didn't you know, mean a lot in terms of the things that went well or maybe more importantly didn't go well. But it felt as if the game and so far was completely the opposite in many respects to what we saw in the joint practices. Is that is that an oversimplification in your mind?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: No, no, I mean, I mean I think the Chargers decimation of the Niners on Tuesday was overblown. That was overblown. The Niner offense did a lot of good things against the Charger defense throughout that day. Then they got in the red zone and Derwin James made a couple of plays on the ball and and you know in the move the ball drill, they weren't quite as crisp and as sharp as they needed to be, and the Chargers were had a little momentum going. But it was just a random practice day. It wasn't like we were why watching the seventy five Steelers against an expansion team or something. It wasn't some disaster. And then defensively, the forty nine Ers, you know, without Bosa and without mckel are struggling, going to struggle to put up pass rush. But then a lot of those I was watching the other side on the binoculars, and there were several runs where I saw you know, linebackers of the Niners kind of tag off and the runners kept you know, continuing downfield, and you know, it looked I think it looked worse than it was. I think actually the forty nine Ers defense, you know, struggled to set the edge and the run game struggled to burn the edge pass rush wise and struggled a little bit with some of the Chargers speed and they have a lot of speed. But I think it was kind of overblown, and I, or maybe the forty nine Ers were, you know, turned off by Brennan Thompson say, hey man, we do we dominated them, and the Niners came to play. But forty nine Ers have two really good quarterbacks in Brock Pretty and Mac Jones, and they played, you know, perty you played a little bit, and then Jones came out and play a little bit more, where the Chargers only played one series of Herbert and then it was Trey Lance and Trey Lance is struggling, and then dj Ugleile is you know, he's he's got a great arms, he's a you know, trades based prospect. But he's not a ready made NFL quarterback. So I mean, those guys came in and were what's seventeen of thirty one one touchdown and they just didn't move the ball that well. So maybe maybe it was just the Chargers quarterbacks weren't all that great.
Speaker 2: Well, I wanted to get into that, and I think you're right, and I do want to touch on Dejon Stribling of course, and Kaylon Black because I think those were the two major standouts again for the forty nine Ers, and it's two weeks in a row for Stribling, and Kaylon Black was sort of the guy in the Stribbling role. I felt like going into the Charger game and that everybody wanted to see what he had in the tank and could he deliver, And I think he did in a big way. But let's start with the Niner defense. Actually, because we talked a lot about how there's so much talent and you don't really know how the talent is gonna fit. They played pretty well, but I was talking to Copes a little bit about this. The defense played well, but I didn't necessarily come out of the game thinking that anything that I saw made me feel more confidently about the regular season than maybe I was to begin with, how do you sort of parse through and a lot of that is the guys that were playing on the charger side of it, but they did play well last night, the guys who were out there, So what did you think of just the forty nine or defense overall?
Speaker 1: In terms of the guys who did get opportunities to play.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of young defensive players who really flew around and made a lot of plays. I mean, just looking at the box score. I mean Jalen Stroman, the rookie safety from Notre Dame. I thought he put himself on the map. He had a really good day game. Tatum Bethune had another really good game. Two TFLs, six tackles. He was flying around, Nick Martin, Garrett Wallow, Ephesian's price sock, Jacob Robinson, you know Sam Aquin who played really really well, Jayden Duggar. So there was a number of defensive players that, you know, really shined. I think maybe if there's a couple of themes, I mean, one is that the the Niners young defensive tackle group of Bryson Easton, James Thompson and Grayson Halton are out playing CJ. West and Alfred Collins and what's gonna come of that? What's gonna happen there? And I don't think there's any question here. Here's the other thing. It's like Raheem Morris is the new regime, and West and Collins were drafted by the old regime. It's the same general manager. And it's not like those guys don't have allies within the organization, but it's the Raheem Morris show and Raheem.
Speaker 2: And we know the coaching staff as a big role in draft picks, and to your point, that was the Robert Sala regime in terms of that.
Speaker 3: And James Thompson Junior, the rookie from Illinois and before that Wisconsin was the highest graded forty nine er defensive player across the board of all So he's playing well. Bryson Easan's playing well. Grayson Holton didn't suit up in this game because he's got a little bit of an injury, but he's playing even better. So those three guys are giving the forty nine ers more than CJ. West and Alfred Collins. And if you and the Niners even re signed Evan Anderson, the other day, I think they're on the verge of either cutting or trading CJ. West or Alfred Collins.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean, and that it's interesting because as you look at the depth chart, you know that you can't keep everybody. That's the one thing that I think you know for sure is that you're not going to be able to keep all of the young talent and a lot of it that they like among that group. But I think the other thing that stood out to me, just defensively still is there's a lot of interior talent, and I'm still kind of waiting for who the guys are going to be on the outside that are going to step up, not named Nick Bosa, assuming Nick Bosa is healthy, So that that's still to me is a concern, I think. But they had the one sack late but and and look, I'm not enamored with stats and collective team performances necessarily in the preseason, but I'm waiting for guys to flash in that vein, and it just it hasn't happened to the extent that I think I want to see.
Speaker 1: I've seen it at other positions.
Speaker 2: A lot of the guys you laid out, I've seen it in terms of a bunch of these guys on the on the inside of the defensive line. I'm still kind of waiting to see it on the outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they had twenty sacks last year and their big addition on the defensive end spot is Romelo Height. I mean, Ramelo Height is not Alden Smith. No, no, this and this is not you know, he's not the kind of guy that's going to come in and lighted up. He's a two hundred and forty pound pass rush specialist who has to be played in, you know, in a rotation with other guys. And you know, I think this defensive end group is gonna look pretty good once Bosa and mckel are healthy, because you'll have Bosa, Michel sam O, Kean White, Ramelo Height, ogbo Ocuronquo played well and so I think you're you're probably covered. But man, I mean, if you could, if you could, you know, add one more significant defensive end, I think that would be in their best interest because I mean, Quintin Bell just signed off the street, right Titus Leo was cut the other day, but he was playing first quarter snaps. Victor de mcagee, Xavier Thomas. These are waiver wire. You know, guys, these are bottom of the barrel roster kinds of guys, and you know you got you don't have one of them, you have like four of them, So that they could definitely use one more defensive end.
Speaker 2: I think definitely on somebody from the outside. But I don't know necessarily that a street free agent right now is the order.
Speaker 1: Of the day. Here's the other thing that's popped up this week.
Speaker 2: I've sort of opined that I think the Niners are waiting to see what they have, and I think they like a lot of what they have on the interior, as I've mentioned a couple of times. But I think they're waiting to see what they have, how good they are, how much they get about get out of Nick Bosa, how much Raheem Morris can can scheme things up. And then if they truly feel they need one more outside guy, they'll look to make that move at the deadline.
Speaker 1: And if they think that that move will put them.
Speaker 2: Over the top in terms of Super Bowl contention, they will be willing to give up a premium to make it happen. And in essence, waiting is not the end of the world. I know there's a lot of well they missed out on von Miller and you could have got this other guy.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of wanting to make it happen. Now. Where are you on, Like, does it need to happen now?
Speaker 2: Or can the forty nine ers play the season out a little bit, see what they have and if they are that one pass rusher away, re engage on somebody like a Max Crosby that it's going to take a lot to get or re engage on somebody else that may pop free here as other teams sort of fall out of the race.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there's a lot of different ways to play your hand to cards here. I mean, one thing you don't want to do is you got a lot number of older players. I don't know that you want to move a lot of draft pick capital for the twenty seven draft. You know, before you know your status as a contender, but at the you know so like, I don't know if I want to trade because those same picks that you're trading away, you know right now for an extra player, you're going to want to be getting more picks by the middle of the year. If the bottom falls out with some of your veterans, So you got to remember that. But then you look at the Niners schedule and you see look at look at September. You know, they get the Rams in Australia, but then you got Dolphins, Cardinals, got Awen, got a wind, you got Broncos, you got the Commanders. After Seattle, you got Atlanta, you got Raiders. Literally going into the middle of November, you have a stretch there where you have one, two, three, four, five, at least five maybe six very winnable games. So I don't know that I would want to wait until the bye week, which is week eight, which is right when the trade deadline is. I don't know if i'd want to wait to the bye week to add something, because I think you may need to bank wins over Atlanta, Washington, Arizona, Miami to Withstan December. In December, you're on the road against the Giants in the cold weather. Then you're at home against the Rams, You're in La on a short week against the Chargers, You're at Arrowhead against the Chiefs, you're home against the Eagles, and then you have Arizona to finish. But that's a one two, three four, it's kind of a five or six week stretch there, because you play Seattle as well in week twelve. That's a six week stretch that's really difficult. And so I think you need a bank wins early. So I don't know that I would be wasting too much time in the first half of the year. I mean, you're a contending team, you're you know you you see yourself as a contender. It would take a lot of disappointment and a lot of bad, bad things for them not to be a contender. So I know what you're saying, though, you don't want to trade a bunch of draft capital. But if you're trading a player like a Mac Jones or a Curtis Rourke or somebody like that, or a player that you don't think fits and Alfred Collins, I think you might see that kind of a trade earlier. But you know, the the higher gun type trade more towards the deadline.
Speaker 2: Well, and maybe they can't wait. I mean that that could come to fruition. I mean, I'm with you. I mean it's in the sense that, yeah, you have to beat you know, the Rams game is the game. You have to beat Miami, you have to beat the Cardinals, you have to at a minimum, I think beat the Commanders and the Raiders at that point, and probably Atlanta, and if you know you need to be no worse, I think probably than five and three. You know, four and four I think would feel like a disappointment. So five and three almost feels like the baseline. How do you get to that? If maybe you lose to Denver, Seattle and the Rams, and not saying that that's a guarantee, but if you lose those three then you basically have to run the table in those other games. But I think even if they are five and three, they'd know obviously at that point that they'd have to add moving forward. You're listening to KMBR one O four five FM and sixty eighty AM, San Francisco, the Sports Leader, a Cumulus Media station. As we get into the nine o'clock hour, here, Niners Nightly coming up with Kruge.
Speaker 1: We're doing a little sports phone.
Speaker 2: Niners Nightly crossover on the Friday night before Niners Nightly after dark here, So we'll we'll just kind of keep things rolling here. Krug Always great to have an opportunity to chat with you, and I'll let you kind of take the reins here coming up as we get into the nine o'clock hour.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to ask you about brock Purty.
Speaker 2: But I also think we need to get to Dajon Stribbling and Kaylon Black because I think those two were the headliners from the game in LA against the Chargers. Yes, I know Stribling had the drop on the would be touchdown, but I think he just continued to impress as an extension of his first game, and I thought Kaylon Black, I mean, the numbers are not necessarily flashy, but the running style I thought was a big time statement. Just give you your thoughts on Kaylon Black in his preseason debut and Dejon Stribbling gett an opportunity to work with Brock Purty and Mac Jones for the first time here in the preseason.
Speaker 3: You know, Kaylon Black's interesting. I'll compare him to like an NBA rookie who is ready to contribute and is really refined across the board. You know, some guys look impressive. Oh look at this guy and look at his jumper, or look at his look at his vertical look at his you know, above the rim game, or look at his athleticism, and everybody're like oh, look at that guy. But then does he really know how to play? And does he do the little things that it takes to win? And you know, can he play in the fourth quarter? Does Kurr trust him in the fourth quarter? And these all kinds of things like that, Well, same kind of thing in football. I mean, you know, wow, you can show strength or power or speed or you know, catching ability or you know, but then it's like, how much do we get to trust this guy with the money, with the you know, money on the table, the game on the line, all those cliches, but it really is true and those nuance it's a nuanced deal. But Bobby Turner is an old school throwback coach and he just demands that if you're going to be a running back, you can't just be a nominal blocker. You have to be a willing blocker and you have to do it well. And this guy is a you know, Kylon Black is a stone stone, you in the hole kind of a kind of a blocker. And we saw that last night. I mean, it reminds me of Garrison Hurst or you know, Frank Gore back in his prime, just you know, just a powerhouse guy that's gonna just stripe on a stripe and you're gonna have to truck me or I'm gonna you know, you're gonna have to go through me if you're getting to the quarterback. He's just such a good blocker. And then he's a pretty natural receiver, even though he wasn't utilized that way at Indiana. And he hits the hole, he reads the blocks, and he just does a lot of things very efficiently. And I don't even think last night was one of his better games. I thought he misread a number of the runs. But his heart is, you know, a great running back. If you know you can feel the will of a great running back. You could feel the will of em At Smith in the nineties, and you know you could feel the will at times of Walter Payton in the late and early eighties. You could feel the will of great great backs. And you can kind of feel the will of Kaylon Black. He is really tough, so he adds a lot of toughness. A really good blocker. He's a better blocker than CMC. He can run in short yardage with power and keep the chains moving. He can catch it out of the backfield. Very trustworthy, very competitive. So yeah, I mean they got and then stribbling another guy. You know, he's he's a rookie in name only. He's very mature. He got big hands, and he catches away from his frame, and he's a willing blocker and he's not he's really tough. He's like the son of a military guy. He's not intimidated by a lot of the yapping that that you see in the NFL. Somebody doesn't get caught up in it. He comes down with these fifty to fifty grabs. He made a catch in the in the in the end zone in El Segundo from Mac Jones on a back shoulder where the defender was not full. It was like a sea of hands going for the ball, and he just took one extra step back towards the ball and plucked it out of the air with his hands. Got very strong hands. So yeah, I mean the Niners needed not just a good draft. They didn't need just guys to make the team. They need guys who can lead the charge. And in Stribbling in Black, that's what they got.
Speaker 2: Now they did in a big way, and I think it also maybe changes the conversation. I mean, go back to draft night and all the heat that the forty nine ers were taking. And look, you never know, I mean to me. To me, it's always you can have an opinion on where somebody is selected. But the thing that I always keep in the back of my mind, Krug is if guys prove that they can play immediately, even a handful of them, it doesn't have to be everybody, but especially your top picks. If they prove that they can get on the field immediately, everybody's gonna forget where exactly they were picked and whether or not they were a reach, and should you only get into that they should have taken this guy or that guy when the other guys are playing and your guys are not seeing the field because they haven't earned the opportunity, And then everybody kind of wonders why that's not It looks like it'd be the case with Stribbling or Kaylon Black.
Speaker 3: You know, I used to have a saying at the end of my show when I hosted Sports Phone in the nineties. At the end of the night, I'd be like, all right, Larry Krueger, often wrong, seldom in doubt. Then we'd all laugh and I'd say good night, everybody. See tomorrow at seven. I love that people are passionate about football and passionate about the Niners. But people just were getting downright indignant about you know, John Lynch efed it up. And it's like, dude, you spent an hour and a half and he's spent hundreds of hours. And I'm not saying defer. I don't defer to anybody.
Speaker 4: But I you know, if all you know, if all you're armed with is the consent, what's this opinion that I've noticed in the mock drafts, whatever the heck that means, is that stribbling should go between sixty and eighty and that he.
Speaker 3: Goes, you know, thirty four or whatever, thirty three.
Speaker 1: Thirty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's all you know. And you're gonna take John Lynch in the Niners personnel department, groups of guys who are pretty damn smart spend a ton of time on this. I'm not saying they're not fallible and not without criticism or whatever not. You know, you can't criticize. You can criticize, but I mean, temper it. Temper your criticism knowingly. I mean, I've run that film back and forth. I used to work for the Arizona Cardinals. I've done personnel in the Canadian League. I've sat there for hours making my contact lens prescription go bad as I'm rolling film back and forth looking for answers on this film endlessly. And I know what it means to roll that film back and forth for like thirty five hours over the course of a week, as opposed to what we do where I feel like I'm all over it. But I'm spending an hour here, an hour there, two hours here, four hours there. I'm not spending I'm not camped out watching every element of practice film and every single player thousand eligible players for the draft. So I'm gonna tell you what I think, and I'm gonna I'm not gonna pull any punches, but this we know. I spent five minutes on it, and I know more than John Lynch is tired. And and it's like that for baseball too. It's like I went to one game and buster you pose he's an idiot. Okay, all right, but I mean that's not reality. It's not balanced, it doesn't represent the time invested. And just just think of it this way. If somebody came to your place of work where you're investing forty hours or fifty hours a week in your job, and you know that they're spending forty five minutes to an hour and a half. We're searching the kinds of things that you do at your job. And then they start telling you what's wrong, why you where you're screwed up, and why they're right and you're wrong. You'd be like, what do you know about it? Like if somebody's sitting there telling you and I all about how to host a successful radio show and you don't have a radio show and you've never had a freaking radio show, but you're gonna tell Larry Kruger and John Dickinson, who've been on the radio combined for three decades, how to do a radio show. I mean, I'm not saying that we couldn't take some criticism, but just check yourself, people, That's all I would.
Speaker 1: Say, no, no doubt.
Speaker 2: And so it's interesting because again, to me, it just comes down to if the guys that you pick can get on the field and contribute in a meaningful way. And it looks like Stribbling and Kaylon Black at a minimum are going to do that. Well, there are some others that might as well. Then to me, everything should calm down. It's and this is where I do think some of the criticism has been fair over the years. It's not you should have taken this guy, you know, at a different spot because of consensus or anything like that. It's more just the Niners two often have had guys that for whatever reason haven't been on the field, and then others picked either around them or after them, or you know, guys that potentially they could have gotten have been more productive. Like that's to be a different conversation than you know, the obsession with consensus.
Speaker 1: Because I'm with.
Speaker 2: You, I mean that I was sort of I was out on that, like I was kind of wondering about these picks. But it's funny because stribbling in black are the two in particular that I thought, well, let's just wait and see if they can play or not, you know, come September the tenth and be contributors. And if they can't, then we'll have a conversation about the drafts of the years and all that. But if they can, then this is much ado about nothing at this point.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I will say this, I mean, and I'm as critical as many, if not more critical than some. But I I just think that what you're really looking for in the draft is you're looking for that that cross section of guys who have the collegiate production they can play football, because it's not it's not a track meet, it's football. It's a game. It's like it's like me telling you, oh, yeah, this guy's gonna be an awesome power forward. Why oh dude, he's six nine, he's two fifty five. He's okay, but but he could I I could hand you a guy that's six nine, two fifty five, But what if he can't play basketball? Right then all of a sudden, it's like krug, he' six nine fifty five. You're right, but he can't play basketball. So these are these are skill based games. So you gotta be good at the game first of all, before your athleticism. You gotta be good at the game. Now, then you get a group of guys that are really good at football. Then you got to look for the guys of the guys that are really good at football who also have those advanced traits athletically, because the NFL is about athletic freaks, and guys with athletic traits are commonplace in the NFL. So once you're picking from that group of players, he's a great college football player and he has really advanced, high level, you know, ninetieth percentile type traits of strength and speed, flexibility, quickness, that kind of thing. That's when you draft the guy, and that's Kaylon Black, and that's Dayshon Stribbling. Dejon Stribbling was really really productive in college. But he also ran four three six ten inch hands. You know, he's got a lot of real great testing numbers. Kaylon Black blocks like a like a crazed guy, and it was really good at Indiana they won the national championship. But he also, you know, is really really strong and really really quick and a dominant athlete.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, so you gotta have both. If you go for athletes that aren't college football players, you wind up with you know, the you know, the Dandy Grays of the world or whatever, guys that look great and they're running fast, but they don't actually play. Or if you're looking for guys that did they play great but they don't have NFL measurables, well then you got Junior Bergen left and right. He was a great player at for the Montana Bobcats or whatever. But he doesn't have NFL high level traits, so he kind of tops out as just a low level backup type player. So when you get when you hunt for the combo, great production, great traits, you wind up with Alden Smith, you wind up with Jerry Rice, you wind up with Dejon Stribbling and the Niners. You know, I think did that this year. They weren't as concerned about the you know, the consensus boards, and they just handicapped it and said, we want productive football players who have high end athletic traits. They married those guys together and they I think you're gonna benefit greatly for it.
Speaker 2: Last thing I wanted to touch on it, and now we're well into the nine o'clock hour here in Niners Nightly after Dark, Krug, so I want to let you kind of steer and set up your show for the for the remainder of the hour.
Speaker 1: But but the one thing I promised you for.
Speaker 2: Tuesday Brock Parties preseason to this point is training camp specifically obviously gets out in La last night plays in the one series.
Speaker 1: What is a Brock Purty leap? What would that look like to you?
Speaker 2: I've been asking a bunch of different people just to get their thoughts, because there is a poise and just a confidence that I've noticed from the days that I've been out of practice and watching Brock Purty and the way he's talked in the press conferences and even you know, small extension of that last night. I love the third down conversions and the cohesiveness between him and Stribbling So quickly could we be witnessing almost I wouldn't call it a breakout because he's already broken out, but a leap one of those you know, third fourth year leaps that sometimes happens where guys have their best year, you know, right around this point in their respective careers at the at the quarterback position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're centering on something. I mean, you know, Brox all is not about Brock's game is not about stats. Brocks game is about he is a competitive son of a gun and he wants to win and he measures success by victory. And it's not about fantasy stats or this or that. But I think his numbers could look better this year. You know, He's just it's about being supported.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Brian Billick used to come on regularly on cambr with Fits and Brooks back in the day, and he used to talk about how the hardest thing to evaluate in the NFL is the quarterback versus what's going on around the quarterback. And a lot of times, you know, we compare quarterbacks to one another, but they're not equally supported. I mean, you know, people people would sit there a couple of years ago and be like Brock parties nowhere close to as good as Jalen Hurts. What Brock Purty's way better than Jalen Hurts. But Jalen Hurts was supported at a really high level. He had a really great run game Saquon Barkley, he had a Hall of Fame offensive line, he had a defensive line that had all kinds of pass rush and talent Vic Fangio coordinating, and they won.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: You know, they won the Super Bowl, And can Brock win the Super Bowl? Yeah, but they need to support him better and that means they need to build a wall around him and they you know, it would be really nice if they could run the ball. I mean, last year his thing eroded. They couldn't run it. There was like five different games they couldn't average three yards of carry. Then all of a sudden, guys started falling like flies. There was no Debo. Ayuk got hurt, there was no Ayuk, There was no Kittle at the end of the year. I mean, he's out there just kind of running around the line. Wasn't great, didn't have much of a run game. He's thrown it to DeMarcus Robinson and still they found a way to beat Philly in Philly. So I think Brock this year is gonna be supported better. I think they're gonna run the ball more effectively. I think, you know, they're gonna have more talent around him. I think they're gonna block it better in front of him. I think he's gonna have more dynamic weapons, you know, on his offense to deal with. And I think he's gonna have more downfield passing, and I think his numbers are gonna be a little bit bigger. And now it's a matter of can he take care of the football and be patient. But yeah, I think the main difference is just the support. You know, Brock party is being supported better than he was a year ago, and I think you're gonna see what that looks like. I think he's gonna run off a number of wins. I think forty Ninders are an eleven twelve win type team. I think he's a legitimate MVP candidate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, feel set up and you set it right there at the end where I was going. It feels like it's set up for him to be an MVP candidate for this year. Like he's gonna be in that conversation just based on the way the forty nine ers are gonna win. And I think they are gonna win enough to put him in that conversation.
Speaker 3: And he's gonna be you know, he's gonna play his butt off because he's got mac Jones sitting right there and if he and that's good for the Niners because that means that motivates purty. A motivated party is the best party. They just got to figure out what lef guard g then, but then they get two quarterbacks they can win with. You know, if mac Jones has gonna play, I think they feel like they're gonna win all those games. So they you're right, left guard is a left guard is a problem, and they need more edge rush and they right now they're gonna have to figure out how to kind of solve their glut of defensive tackles and can they trade, can they make it an advantageous trade. I think the cutdown is gonna be interesting. You know, Howie Roseman's a great GM. He seems like he always does one thing at the cutdown that makes his team that much better. I mean, John Schneider went for Terry On Arnold and then Trevon Diggs, and we're hearing Lesnie's gonna try to go for you know, not just Miles Garrett, but maybe Aaron Donald. And I'd like to see the forty nine ers, you know, instead of rolling over seventy one million, I'd love to see them make a stute trade or pick up or two to add an extra piece or two to the puzzle, because I think it's their go window. I think fort Ninders can when you know, double digits, get to the playoffs and contend for a Super Bowl this year. So I'd love to see them, you know, be aggressive at the trade deadline if they can find or at the cutdown, if they can find a guard, if they can find a you know, another edge rusher, you know, to to go with what they've got, you know, I think you may see them.
Speaker 2: Get creative trade wise. I really do well, Kurgt, I love talking to you. Where where do you want to go with it? We're well into your hour here on Niners Nightly, So you got anything for me? Or how do you want to kind of set up your show here for the for the rest of this hour?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean in a way, Cambre is the number I would like to know. I want to know who you're passionate about, you know, give me, give me a player that's on the bubble that you're passionate should be on the roster and tell me why give me a player that could be on the bubble or at least is on your bubble, that you're passionate about not being on the roster, And I'll throw it to you, JD. And then I'll in the next segment, I'll get into it and share some.
Speaker 1: Of my own.
Speaker 3: But who do you had?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: We know CMC is gonna be there, we know Party's gonna be there, we know Kittle's gonna be there, We know all those, But what about you know Jordan Watkins.
Speaker 2: It's a great segue into the two young wide receivers. Brother, That's exactly where I was going with it. Is it Watkins or Cowing. Is it Cowing or Watkins? Is it both of them? You know, Christian Kirk, I think is on the bubble for having not been a factor since the first day of training camp and being banged up ever since.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: I think the Watkins Cowing debate is fascinating because on the one hand, you've got Cowing, who in some way steals the show last night, right the eighty three yard punt return, But then he also loses one in the lights and costs the forty nine ers, you know, thirty yards of field position. And Kyle Shanahan, you could tell, even after the game, as he was asked basically to praise Cowing, was very quick to say, yeah, that was a pretty bad mistake on the other one, and we love the touchdown, but you know, it kind of made me wonder was the mistake in Kyle's eyes more damning than the eighty three yard touchdown on the punt could make up for in that particular instance. And then after the game, all the discussion about the injuries and and what Cowing has overcome and all that, and then and then as far as Jordan Watkins goes, I thought he had a really solid game. He had a couple of nice catches he had. I think the key block on the sincere McCormick big run and anybody that knows Kyle Shanahan and you've already mentioned it in this segment, like how do you block as a as a wide receiver, that's important.
Speaker 1: I feel like Watkins is a guy.
Speaker 2: As much as Cowing flashed. I feel like Watkins is a guy who if you needed him in a meaningful game, he has the ability to bring more to the table, even if he starts the year as maybe wide receiver five. Wide receiver on September tenth doesn't mean you're going to be wide receiver five on October twenty fifth, or on November fifteenth, or on December twenty seventh. So I kind of everybody's talking about Cowing coming out of the Charger game. I was sort of left with I liked what Watkins did to improve his fate, and look, maybe it winds up being both, but one versus the other. I would still tend to give Watkins the edge there.
Speaker 3: I would too. I would too, but I think there's a chance that they both make the roster. I'll give you one hint, Well, if.
Speaker 1: Kirk isn't right, then both of them could right.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean in Kirk's the veteran. I think Kirk, you know, could be an attractive trade candidate for a team like the Texans.
Speaker 1: You know, we'll see.
Speaker 3: But you know, then there's a whole slew of young defensive players too. I mean, Jacob Robinson is a four to three corner from BYU almost had a pick six last night. He looks really, really good. I'd like to see them retain their cornerback inventory. You know, they got a lot of guys right now. I mean Ronardo Green, Demo nor up In Stout, those are the top three. But then you got Jack Jones, you got Aphesians Price Sock. Nate Hobbs is hurt, but they got him. They got Jacob Robinson, they got Darrell Looter. I mean, they've got a bunch of corners, and in past years we've seen them like cut it down, say goodbye to a good corner Samuel wellmack DeShawn Jamison. Have those guys go somewhere and play well and then an injury hops you know, pops in and all of a sudden the forty nine ers are looking for you know, street free agents on the corner, and they're really hard to find once you get into the teeth and the meat and potatoes of the season. So I'd like to see them retain their corner depths. Go with Loot, go with Robinson. If you got to go with an extra corner in week.
Speaker 1: One, so be it.
Speaker 3: It's a passing league and if you run out of corners, you're kind of screwed. And I like what I've seen out of Looter and Robinson, and I know they're kind of back of depth chart kinds of corners, but I think they could be starters for a lot of teams, and if they hit the waiver wire, they are as good as gone. So I'd like to see them figure out a way, you know, with all the roster, you know, gymnastics to keep seven corners possibly.
Speaker 1: If if that's the way it all shakes out.
Speaker 3: So but ainaway, Cambr. I mean that will open up the lines and see what people have to say, and I'm gonna share some thoughts, But ainaway, Cambr. If you're driving around, you watch the Niners in the preseason, either of the first two games, give me somebody that you're passionate about. Passionate about them being on the team, passionate about them not being on the team, ad Away Cambre, we'll get into it more next And JD. Man, it's always great to wrap with you. And you and I could you know, we're like the human rein delay man. We could go on and on. You know, we're not John Miller, but we're you know, we could fill the time.
Speaker 2: Well, I missed out last night on your stream after the post game. I love coming on your on the Crub show after a Niner game after I'm done with the postgame on on the Sports Leader here and didn't quite work out timing wise.
Speaker 1: Sometimes with those road games it doesn't.
Speaker 2: But I always feel like I always go to bed wishing I had hopped on.
Speaker 1: So I'm sorry I missed you. Bro.
Speaker 3: Well, the audience in the chat was like, hey, where's JD.
Speaker 1: You know, so we're making up for it here with the last half hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, he's on the radio. What do you what do you mean? JD? Awesome stuff. Thanks for I mean, I guess I was your guest at the start, now you're my guest at the end. But thanks for bridging the gap between Sports Phone and Niners Nightly you know, huge fans of your of your of your work. Keep it rolling, man, We'll do a lot of segments this year. All right, we got more straight ahead, Uh, Niners Nightly, More Niners Nightly. Next with your phone calls if you want to chime in eight to way camb are the number on these Sports Leader. Now back to Niners Nightly with your host Larry Krueger on K and D.
Speaker 1: R G r VD sports Lead. Sports Leader. All right, we keep things rolling.
Speaker 3: It's Niners Nightly on a Friday, and I'm in a absolutely fantastic mood. You say, why, Well, not only did the Niners play great last night, So you know, we not a lot of you know, it's rare that I get to, you know, just any time off at all. But man, I had a little free time this afternoon, and you know, I got a brand new salmon barbecue recipe and I put the salmon on the grill. Oh man, it came out so good. It was just absolutely amazing. Basically it is soy sauce, Dijon, mustard and garlic, and you just you just mix it. You know, it's like a glaze. You put this, you put it on the salmon before you barbecue it and then it's also kind of like a sauce that you can put on after it's done.
Speaker 1: Oh it's amazing.
Speaker 3: You know. Did some mushrooms and onions on the side. Did some uh so, we did a little little jasmine rice. Oh man, it was fantastic. You get that kind of smoky flavor. It's just tender as all get out. It was phenomenal. All right, Welcome to the Food Channel. All right, we're off and running on Niners Nightly. Thanks to JD for hanging out. It's always good to talk ball with JD. Ataway cambiar is the number. Who are you passionate about being on this roster? Who are you passionate about maybe not being on this roster? I'll give you my answers in a minute, But eight away cambiar is the number. We got a good, good half hour here. We can take some of your calls, and we got Mark who's in the city and wants to jump in. We'll hit the lines right here. We'll take a call and then I'll talk a little bit. Maybe we'll take a few more calls. But Mark's here in the city and he's with us on the UMA. Guest line is the good it's not the Yuma guest line we bring in. We bring in Jacob Violante because it's a Jacob Violante Friday Night productions. Jacob. It's not the Uma guest line. That's for the guests. The call line is called what's the sponsor for the call line?
Speaker 1: I think it's industrial metal supply. I don't even know. I don't even know if we have we have a text line one. I don't know if you have a crawl line one.
Speaker 3: All right, well maybe we'll make make it up. It's the call line brought to you by Coca Cola. And we go to Mark in San Francisco. Mark, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm doing good, Larry. I want to keep Jacob Crowley definitely. I know him and Watkins are the two guys that are this.
Speaker 3: Crowley Crowley's are the nighttime guy on camb Are you want to keep cal I think cowing.
Speaker 5: Cow yeah, coweing, Sorry about that, but yeah, you're right. Him and Watkins Definitely I want on the team those two guyst returner. They can do both plus play receiver and I was watching some films of Crowley on Arizona and Heli receiver as.
Speaker 3: Well right, yeah, no, he is a good receiver. He actually out performed Tetoroah McMillan. They were on the same team together. He's a he's a really good player. It's just he hasn't been able to stay healthy and he's a little frail. He's a little on the smaller side. But man, that was a beautiful, you know, punt return touchdown that he had. And man, it was really cool to see his teammates that invested in him too.
Speaker 1: That was neat.
Speaker 3: And he's you know, he's had a lot of talent, this guy. This guy's got ball skills. He's got four to three speed, he's a good route runner. He's just been hurt. He had four different recurrences of his hamstring poll last year. And sometimes I see him at practice and he'll run a few routes and then all of a sudden, I se him on the side. He's stretching it and this and that, and I'm like, God, is this guy gonna you know, is he that fragile that he you know, he's gonna go down in a moment's notice. But if he can stay healthy, Jacob Cowing I think secured that punt returner job I think I think uh, Dion Debo will be returner, Cowing will be the punt returner, and I'd like to see a wide receiver corps of Evans d Stribbling, DeMarcus Robinson and I'm with you, Jordan Watkins and Jacob Cowing and that what does that mean for Christian Kirk? I don't know. I think I might trade Christian Kirk if you could find somebody that would be willing to trade for Christian Kirk. I mean, the Texans just lost a good receiver in Jayden Higgins and Jalen Knowle's been banged up. I think I would, and he was there last year. I think I would call Damiko and and see if they've got anything over there. They could throw the forty nine ers for Christian Kirk, because how do you put how do you put Kirk on this roster over over Jordan Watkins and Jacob Cowing. I don't think he can.
Speaker 5: Mark so either. And the thing about it is, if Watkins he was also taking kick returns, Uh, He's he's terrific. Uh with him and crowing cawing, cowing, cowing cowing at hunt returners. I mean that really gives our special team something some explosive players.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, And I asked John Lynch this question about two weeks ago because he you know, look at Seattle. Seattle won last year. They led the NFL in explosive play ratio. They had more explosive plays than their opponents. They're really good on defense at limiting explosives and they were really good on offense at getting explosives. And I don't know if you saw this number, but it normally the biggest, you know, indicator in the NFL in recent years of victory is turnovers. If you win the turnover ratio, you win the game. And like last year, if you won the turnover ratio, you won the game. I think it was like fifty seven or fifty eight percent of the time, which is a pretty high percentage.
Speaker 1: But last year was the first year in years.
Speaker 3: That there's something greater than turnover ratio, and it's explosive ratio. The teams that win the explosive ratio win, And so I asked Lynch, I said, you know, did you guys go into this offseason you know, kind of hell bent on adding explosives And he's like, well, first of all, we always do right, speed is the name of the game. We're always looking for explosive players, not just this year, but he did admit that with Seattle being so great in that area, that they, the Niners, you know, were very cognizant of that when they were putting together their plan and their their off season approach, and they wanted to add explosive players. And look at the speed. I mean, look at their receiver room at the end of last year. Juwan Jennings four eight forty, Kendrick Bourne four seven seven forty. You know, you know Malik Turner, he's not a burner. They didn't have a lot of speed last year. They were very slow. They didn't get any separation at all in that Seattle playoff game. Now, look at the receiving corps. Jordan Wackett four three seven to Dejon Stribbling four three six, Jacob Cowing fourth seven, Will Pauling for three seven, Wesley Grimes four three five. They got a lot of speed. Even you know Ricky Piersoll, who was not playing for them, but he's a four to four guy. So I mean, the difference between what they had at receiver last year speed wise, and this year night and day, night and day, and I and Lynch said that they were you know that they made an extra concerted effort this year to find the kinds of players that they think can give them big explosive you know, chunk yardage gains in the past game and in the run game. I mean, how about this. The forty nine ers first twenty yard run mark last year came in the Bears game. That game was in December. That was their first twenty plus yard run all season. And they have Christian McCaffrey. So you know, why was that the case? Well, I think it had a lot to do with the fact that Niners didn't have a lot of speed at wide receiver, so teams were not afraid of them throwing it over the top. So everybody was kind of leaning forward. Everybody's in the box, extra bodies in the box. Every time Christian McCaffrey got through the line of scrimmage, there's a linebacker camped eight yards off the you know, line of scrimmage, sitting right there. The weak side backers like, hey, you know, come to Papa, or you know, maybe it was a strong safety, but they had a guy basically just sitting there eight yards off the line of scrimmage, just saying, you're not getting an explosive run. And they didn't get an explosive run until you know, brock Perty got you know, kind of loosened up a Bears defense that was pretty challenged and made a bunch of plays and suddenly the run game opened up and they got that twenty yard run. But that was December.
Speaker 1: You know. They did not a single twenty yard run.
Speaker 3: In September, October, November. You know, that's unbelievable, really, I mean, and it's kind of inexcusable. So their their approach this year. Get more explosive and we'll see if it works. Mark came. Always great to talk ball with you. We'll do it again soon and it opens up line and ate away cambr Mark in the city used to live out in the sunset and we used to shoot hoops back in the day, talking warrior ball, sitting there in the on at s NAC's High School. I lived across the street. I think he lived a couple of blocks away, and you know, I was a teenager. He was probably in his thirties and he'd come over. We'd just you know, we'd be out there shooting buckets on those outside hoops by saying Nation's high school, talking about you know, the Warriors, and like who are they going to draft? Russell Cross, Debt lift Shrimp. You know those are days. I mean, then we're going back to the eighties. It was a long time ago. But Mark's a good man, a great sports fan, a great cambi Our listener. All right, as far as let me give you what what.
Speaker 1: I want to see at the cutdown.
Speaker 3: Now, we got one more preseason game to go, but let's start and we'll just go through this relatively quickly. Quarterback. I think the forty nine ers have so many needs at so many other spots that I don't know that they can go with three quarterbacks. You got Brock, He's he's I think he's going to be an MVP candidate. You got Mac Jones. He Mac Jones is a gamer, He's super accurate, and he looks great in this Kyle Shanahan offense. When I watch Mac Jones, I think, man, he was born to play for Kyle Shanahan, and this is probably his last year playing for Shanahan unless something truly unforeseen happens. Because you know he makes four million bucks, and this just in, but you know he's better than Malik Willis, and Milik Willis is making forty million bucks. So that's what happens when you become a starter in the NFL, so is I don't think Mac is going to stick around too long making four mill.
Speaker 1: Not that four mill there's anything to sneeze at.
Speaker 3: I think we would all be very satisfied with the four million dollar salary, but not if you could potentially make forty million. That's a that's a life changing number. And Mack's going to get that money at some point. You would think he's playing at a really high level. So the question is, do the Niners, you know, Curtis Rourke look good? Did he look so good that you trade Mac Jones? Did he look so good that you would make him the number two quarterback? Does he look so good that you would keep three quarterbacks on your roster despite the desperate need that you're gonna have for roster spots with extra o lineman, d lineman, corners, receivers. I mean they've got linebackers, they got extra bodies, had about four different positions.
Speaker 1: Can they afford to go with a third quarterback.
Speaker 3: I would say. Now, I think Adrian Martinez is a great kid, but I think he gets cut and I think Rourke. I would I would look to trade Rourke. I would look to see what I could get for Rourke. Is there somebody out there? Is there more of a market for mac Jones or is there more of a market for Curtis Rourke. I don't know. I don't know the answer to that, but I think I would go with Perty and Jones and go with two quarterbacks. And I don't want to waive Rourke because I think he'd get picked off waivers. But I also don't want to have three quarterbacks on my roster when I've got this deep of a roster. So do I think Curtis Rourke is the next great quarterback? Now? I don't. If I did, I would not trade him. But but I do think there may be a market for him. I mean, he played in Indiana. He played an entire year on a torn acl I mean that's like stuff of war, you know. I mean this guy, this kid's a tough kid, and he's pretty smart. He's pretty accurate, throws a pretty nice ball. He's two years in the offense. So he's not super raw. He looks kind of comfortable. He's worked on his on widening his base and having a better a better wider base just to throw from. And he's he looked good in that preseason game against Tennessee. Now he's got an injury. But the question is do you keep him at number two in trade Jones? I wouldn't. I would keep Jones's number two in trade Rourke. So and I'm going with two quarterbacks. I'm not going with three, so I would trade Rourke. And that's probably where most of you and I disagree right out of the shoot. Let's move to running back. I'm going with four running backs because once again you got deep, a deep roster at other spot, so you need extra guys. And I'm going with Christian McCaffrey, Kaylon Black is RB two, Jordan James is RB three, and Kyle Hustcheck, you know, the fullback, and I'm cutting everybody else. I'm cutting Grendo, Sincere McCormick, who I really like, but I would pick him back up to the practice squad, Khalil Herbert, Zamir White. If I was going with five, i'd go with McCormick. But I'm going with four, and I'm using that roster spot somewhere else. So McCormick to the practice squad. Maybe Adrian Martinez back to the practice squad, though I'm not as convinced that that's a for sure thing. But I'm going short at quarterback with two, and I'm going short at running back with four. All right, let's move to tight end. I think Kittle starts on the pup, and Kittle's probably driving around going Krugs, shut up. I don't want to go on the pup. And that's probably what he would say to me if I said, George, you're headed.
Speaker 1: For the pup.
Speaker 3: I don't want to see George in September. You know, George is gonna try to do something that he shouldn't do. You know, let's let's let's, you know, find another tight end at the cutdown. Cole Comet, Dawson, Knox, Payne, Durham, Colby Parkinson. All these guys are rumored to potentially be lopped off at the at the cutdown on August thirtieth, you know what, nine days from now, I would definitely be perusing that list. I like tan Js, but that's really all the all I like. I mean, Ferreal to me is not impressive. He's you know, Kittle said he's having a better camp, and he is, but he's still not a sure handed receiver. I've seen better blockers, considering he's considered a blocking tight end. Rouccie no Taguara, no Braydon. Willis, though I thought, looked phenomenal in this last game. He had the block that sprung McCormick on that thirty seven yard run. And what he did was he picked off two different guys, picked off the tackle, and then he came back and picked off the backer. It was a thing of beauty. And he's in great shape. Braiden Willis looks really good to me as a backup full back. I mean, if you didn't have juice, I think Braiden Willis would be a fine fullback. So I think I would probably go I'll probably go with three tight ends. Kittle on the pup, Tanjes, Ferrell and Braiden Willis make the team, but I will I would be open minded to cutting Ferrell or Willis for a veteran if I could get a Payne Durham, Cole Comet, Kobe Parkinson, those kinds of guys, and I think those guys guys are going to be out there, so Luke Farrell don't get too comfortable, and Braiden Willis don't get too comfortable. I'd probably go with Willis over Ferrell. I think they're going with Ferrell over Willis, but I would go with with no more than three tight ends with Kittle on the pup, and I could go with two, you know, Tanjas and Feral and play juice there a little bit. But Willis has impressed me and I'm definitely considering him for that final roster spot at tight end. All right, let's move to offensive line. You know, I've seen estimates where the Niners are going with ten eleven your backup D lineman, play your backup O lineman. You usually do not, So there's no way in hell you should go with five backup offensive linemen. I mean, that is a poor use of roster space. So you got mckivttz, Poony Brendle, Trent Williams, and we'll call it Carver. Willis to start at left guard, so you got those five guys for sure. Then Vederian Lowe is your swing tackle, so he's there. I like Dougmer the veteran center from you know, he's played in Chicago. He played for the line. He had one of the great forty times almost any interior alignement. And he's a nasty maler brawler type who just wants to bury people. And I like Kramer, and I like what I've seen so far. So I'm going Vederian Lowe on the bench, Doug Kramer on the bench, and then and then I got one more spot, And it really comes down to three guys, Nick Skel, Connor Colby, and Robert Jones. And I think i'd go Connor Colby. I think i'd go Connor Colby. Would I would put Nick Zekel on the practice squad. I'd cut Enrique Cruz for sure. There's no way he makes the fifty three. He shouldn't make the fifty three. He cannot play in a game right now. He will not go claimed. He's too raw of a player. So he's he's going to the practice squad as well. And then offensively at receiver, I'm going Evans, Deebo Stribbling, DeMarcus Robinson, Watkins, and Cowing. I'm going six receivers. So there's your offense. My three specialists of course are John Weeks, Corlis Weightman and Eddie Pinero. All right, let's take a phone call and then we'll we'll flip the card and tell you what we're thinking on defense.
Speaker 1: But let's go to the lines here. Who is on the line.
Speaker 3: We've got Sanjay Sanji's in San Jose and he wants to talk about the guy that he is adamant that he wants to make this roster. Hey, Sonjay, how are you?
Speaker 6: Jire how's it going, Krug?
Speaker 3: Hey, it's going well, man' You know, warm night out here in the East Bay. But man, I'm excited for this forty nine er season, especially after that game last name.
Speaker 6: Yeah, me too. You know. The guy that i'd like to see Mike the fifty three is Garrett Walla. I mean a guy coming off the street and being the guy with the most tackles in a playoff game defeating the defending world champions, and he played a heck of a game yesterday and almost out are so like, I really like to see him. Although I know we're deep on linebackers, but with the new scheme, maybe we need to rely on linebackers more for the pass rush. So I'd like to see him make the roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I thought Wallow had a hell of a game. I was looking at the PFF rankings and somebody said that he was one of the lowest ranked players. I'm like, what in the heck are you guys basing your rankings on? He was everywhere last night. He was incredible last night. Wala was closing ground, he was making big hits. You know he, I mean he, he seriously was what a play or two away from having a monster night.
Speaker 1: I thought Wallo was terrific last night.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I agree with you, because to me, it's about who clears waivers. You know, is Larry Worth or Jaden duggar Ornate Martin more likely to clear waivers or is Garrett Wallow more likely to clear waivers? And I just think that Garrett Wallow. There's gonna be a lot of Garrett Wallow's out there. And even though I think he's a really good special teamer and a really solid player, I don't want to lose Larry Worth, and I won't lose Nick Martin, and I'm not gonna lose Jayden Dugger. And I'm going with six linebackers, So you know that that's a I think this is gonna be a tough one. It may come down to an injury. But my six linebackers would be obviously Fred and Dre Tatum, Bethune, Nick Martin, Jaden Dugger and Larry Worth. And I would cut Luke Gifford despite the fact he's a Pro Bowl special teamer. I would cut Jalen Graham, and I'd probably cut Garrett Wallow, not because I don't like Garrett Walla, just because I don't want to me. You've got three. You've got three really intriguing young hybrid type players who can rush the pastor and make big plays. How do you get Larry Worth? He's six' four two, twenty he blankets the tight. End Jayden dugger looks like a total. Natural And Nick martin is maybe the best overall athlete on the, defense and he's just so freaking. VIOLENT i, mean he had that force fumble last. Night he's just a big play waiting to. Happen SO i THINK i would try to keep all three of the, guys and if if that MEANS i gotta Wave gifford And graham And, Wallow i'm doing.
Speaker 1: It But i'm with.
Speaker 3: YOU i Thought, wallow, like IF i have to go with one more, LINEBACKER i THINK i would go With wallow and Over, gifford even Though gifford's A Pro bowl special, teamer Because wallow looks amazing and he had eleven tackles in That eagle game last, year much, Respect and that was a freezing cold, game wind howling on the, road all Those eagle idiots yelling their heads, off and this guy played just a perfect. Game eleven, Tackles he was. Everywhere he was Moving Alfred collins AND. Cj west around and then communicating on that first and second level of the defense on every. Snap it was. Impressive it was. Impressive. Man He wallow has my. RESPECT i have total respect For Garrett. Wallow. Yeah He and if he makes the roster Over Larry. Worth i'm just Hoping.
Speaker 1: Larry worth squeezes through.
Speaker 3: Waivers BUT i would Take worth over him Because i'm Afraid worth. Won't you, KNOW i don't want to Lose. Worth he's just, really really. Special BUT i know what you're. Saying wallow looked great last. Night all, Right, sonjay you have a great night In san Jose man and opens up a line and eightaway camb are a couple more thoughts on the. Defense So i'm going six, linebackers and there's your there's your. Six now in the, Secondary i'm going for Safeties Malik, Mustafa Jayre, Brown Marquis. Siegel and here's the. QUESTION i Know Brant boyer wants that fourth guy to Be sarahnney and he's a very good special, teamer but, man how About Jalen. Stroman last? NIGHT i Thought Jalen stroman was. Everywhere you, Know he's supposed to be a guy that has real limitations as far as, coverage but he looks like one of the more physical safeties they. Have So i'd go With stroman as the fourth. Safety i'd the Corners i'm going with Are Ronardo leonor And, Stout Jack, Jones Prick luder And. Robinson i'm not gonna give away my my. Cornerback i'm gonna retain my cornerback. Inventory if i gotta go, Six i'll go. Six IF i gotta go, Seven i'll go. Seven i'm not cutting good. Corners and THEN d line, WISE i think this is where it's gonna be really. INTERESTING i think they're gonna go FIVE d ten d linemen FIVE, dns five defensive. Tackles your D nz Are Mikeuel, Bosa Keon, white Sam akuaiu And Ramelo. Height if you go with another one because of mckel being, out go agbo. Ocuronquo and it's not that hard of a. CALL i thought he was far and away the. Best and then the big move THAT i would make is my five defensive. Tackles oh so o Diggi, Zuwa Grayson, Halton Bryceon, Esen James Thompson, junior and EITHER. Cj west Or Alfred. Collins And i'm GOING. Cj, West So i'm not Cutting Alfred, collins But i'm Trading Alfred. Collins i'm not gonna Let Bryson easen Or James thompson Or Grayson halton not make this team because Of Alfred. Collins they've outplayed. Him James Thompson junior was the highest rated forty nine er defender last night of any. Position the guy has thirty six reps at two twenty. Five he's he's got weight room strength and he's got functional. Strength he looked, really really. Good he's got to be on the. Team so there you. Go there you have. It i'm Trading Alfred, collins AND i don't like, it but you know, what he's been beaten out By, bryson easen By Grayson, halton By James. Thompson Chris causerah told me In. July he, said, hey, man we had draftable grades On easton And thompson and they have shown it in this. Summer easton is six four two twenty or sixty four excuse, me three twenty and he runs like a. Linebacker thompson is six, six three ten and he's one of the strongest defensive Linemen i've. Seen the guy had thirty six reps at two twenty, five which is about thirty more THAN i can. Do So i'm. Impressed all, right that is gonna do. It that was the quickest hour there. Is but thanks to you for jumping in via the, Calls thanks TO jd for being our guest in the first part of the, show and thanks of course to well first of, all to all you, guys and thanks to everybody who. Participates you, know we moved the times around, Right so obviously we got the Great Jacob violante producing for, us and thanks To, jacob but we also thanks you guys for finding. Us we were six to Seven monday Through. Friday but then with The giants being on The East coast this, Week mike's, like, hey would you do some some stuff on the radio after sports. PHONE i said, absolutely, absolutely so really glad to be on the radio this week and next week of, course you, know The niners will be off On, monday they'll be taking on The. Raiders they'll Practice, tuesday they'll be off On. Wednesday they'll play The raiders in that final preseason game On, thursday and then there's a little break before The. Niners you, know obviously you're going to go nine days ahead to go To australia In september, tenth they play The rams In. Australia huge game for both. Teams all, right that is going to do it for. Us thanks To, jacob thanks to all of, You thanks TO. Jd have a great night and we'll see A monday on These Sports leader