Speaker 1: Let's get back to Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park before Tonight's Giants game on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work on a Friday, Derek Papa John Dickinson live from fifty eight Social right outside Oracle Park Giants and Rockies tonight first pitch at seven fifteen.
Speaker 3: We'll get you over the pregame at six fifteen.
Speaker 2: But reacting to the forty nine Ers their first game action of the season lose to Tennessee last night nineteen to thirteen.
Speaker 3: You know the outcomes matter in preseason JD.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do. Yes, I do that for the YouTube crowd. Your first beer of the show as well. Here as we're out on the patios, it is a patio tradition. No bloody at uh yeah, bloody's more like a ten o'clock, No bloody at three twenty in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't mind doing bloody at any time of the day.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm weird like that.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I'm kind of like Brett Pitten once upon a time in Hollywood, where all you know a bloody mare or eat a bloody Mary.
Speaker 3: I'll drink a bloody marry anytime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there is a cutoff for it. It it isn't always like noon, depending upon where we are and the night before and all of that. If you need a little hair of the dog.
Speaker 3: Well is it your go to hangover drink.
Speaker 4: It's not necessarily a go to hangover drink. It's it's more of just a go to like first drink. Yeah, I got of a new day I could start. If you're gonna be.
Speaker 3: Day drinking right now, I'm with you on that one.
Speaker 4: And so it's yeah, if you're out here at ten o'clock, you have one, But it could be if you're out here at one or two o'clock you have one, depending upon your your night before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I may have to switch it up.
Speaker 2: And of course, such as his tradition on the patio, Bloody's John Bloody's Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love I love those, oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: So talking football this twenty twenty six forty nine Ers season, and you brought up Rock Perdy and how he's looked in training camp so far, and I think you know he took some steps for and in like a different direction, I would say a positive direction last year coming back from injury, dealing with the tow and then I thought he lit it up. You look fantastic against the Colts that one Monday night game.
Speaker 3: I thought his performance in the playoff game.
Speaker 2: Against the Eagles, even though he threw two interceptions, to stay strong in that game, even in the Seahawks game, running for his life for most of that but still playing strong, and we kind of saw it. Mike Sando put him up a little bit higher in the quarterback tiers, and he doesn't do that himself. He asks around the league when it comes to opposing coaches and gms. But I think we saw more of brock Perty's mobility last season and this year. I think the biggest question mark is Kenny throw more of the deep ball when he got Mike Evans now in your receiving corps. So what do you want to see as far as you know, a little improvement from brock Perty from last year to this season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just wanted to see him continue to be brock Purty. I think because of the wide receiving corps, there may be different throws to be made that haven't necessarily been there in other years. And I think your point about Mike Evans is spot on. I think Dejon stribbling. I mean, I'm excited to see those two get to work together, and I hope we get a chance to see them work together coming up in LA for the game against the Chargers. I'm not going to be down at the joint practice which is going to be coming up on Tuesday between the forty nine Ers and the Chargers, but I want to see those two work together in live action. And I think Stribbling could also add a little different element to what Brock Purdy can bring to the table. But he's just He's steady, and he got better as the season went on after he came back from the injury, which I think was impressive down the stretch there and help help lead them to that spot and help lead them to their win despite the fact that he did have a couple of interceptions in the playoff win at Philly.
Speaker 2: Now, during the broadcast last night, Tim Ryan did say that you could see George Kittle out there Week one against the Rams, and I kind of don't want to see that.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: I totally understand that George Kittle wants to play. He is vital to their success. But thinking about the long haul, thinking about seventeen games, don't rush that. Like it's a long flight too to go to Australia, I fifteen hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 2: I mean they got by last year from week one on with Jake Tongjis and maybe they add to that tight end room right now. But yeah, I do want to I don't want to see that. Honestly, I don't think you need to rush that. I think that George Kittle one of the best tight ends in all the football. You don't need them coming back too soon from that Achilles tear. I get him wanting to come back. Yeah, I get him wanting to be a part of that trip too.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think as much as it has been discussed as kind of a burden right the trip and it's not what anybody really wants to do to go that far to play one game and have to do all the prep and the lead up in the week and they're going out. We talked a lot about the juxtaposition and hey, the Rams are going the day before, yeah, and the Niners are going a week in a day before and they're doing the whole full prep week, get their acclimate, go through a go through a get it out of your system practice and take a day and then three more practices and like they're running it like it's almost a Super Bowl week essentially, or if they were running it as if they were going to practice in Santa Clara and then and then fly down to Los Angeles and play it at SOFI, so that they're getting there, they're acclimated. They're doing it. The Rams doing the opposite. So I understand the fun of that. And Kittle's about the energy and the vibes, the fun, and he wants to be a part of what is going to be a cool trip because the Niners, in going early, are going to have a little bit more of an opportunity to experience it, probably not a lot, but they are going to have a shot to experience it in a manner that the Rams are not going to experience it at all. And so I think that there's a poll, is what I'm saying. That's a non football poll to want to do it. In addition to the I'm George Kittle, I'm a freaking badass. I'm coming back because I'm one of the leaders of this football team and I'm to do it before anybody, anybody believed that I could. So I think there's an element of that that needs to be accounted for. All of that being said, I'm with you, Yeah, I'm with you, because I think if he isn't fully where he needs to be to even make the trip, making the trip could potentially cause some issues once they come back and have to start playing, like I would much rather. But it's not it's a tricky situation. It's there are other factors that wouldn't I think normally be in play as you discuss his wanting to come back, because it's in many ways just a cool experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a cool experience. It could be a good bonding moment for them to be around each other for a week. I mean again that right now in training camp, but also like just to go to Australia to have that moment. But also like George Cail doesn't need to prove anything to anybody, like he's yeah, he's a badass, and I don't think that it's vital right away that he comes back and that's how the season.
Speaker 3: Starts with him there.
Speaker 2: Like he tore that achilles in early January in a playoff game. It's crazy what modern medicine can do right now when it comes to the NFL. You got Patrick Mahomes coming back, probably gonna start Week one, but he's a quarterback. If he stands in the pocket and you know, limits his mobility, then maybe he'll be finding that torn acl same thing with Daniel Jones where he tore his achilles. You know, I think late November, early December, whatever it was for guys like Micah Parsons or George Kittle. No, like, it's okay, come back when you can. Don't rush it, and then we need you whin we're making a playoff run.
Speaker 4: No, it's totally understand. It was January eleventh. Yeah, I mean you go back to it, and so we're talking at that point basically eight months. Yeah, eight months, which is incredible. So I think the smart play is probably to wait. Yeah, but again, I think his desire. I don't think it's necessarily something to prove in terms of his toughness or anything like that. I just think it's the desire to be with the guys on such a significant part of what this twenty twenty six teams journey will be. Now, look, they'll get back home and they'll get back in the rhythm and they'll play the three home games and everybody'll forget about they went to Australia right at that point. But I do think it is a unique experience that would lead to more conversation about him pressing to be ready to play. Then maybe you would ordinarily.
Speaker 2: Hear yeah, I mean I would just me like I would advise against that. I understand that George Kittle wants to wants to start the season the right way by playing football, but this injury kinds recently happened.
Speaker 4: If you told me they were targeting Week two at home, is then that much of a difference the three games, Like, I think that would be appropriate. I mean, I just think I would feel I would feel a little bit differently about that. But again, to me, the recovery is where the recovery is. It may prove to not be feasible. I mean, we'll see he's not on the practice field yet, so we're like we're gonna know, like if it is a realistic shot to happen, we're gonna know because they're getting on that plane. What's September second, Yeah, so that's nineteen days away.
Speaker 3: So if he's on the trip, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, if he's on the trip, well he has to be on the trip if he's gonna play, of course, so if you don't get on the plane, you're not playing in the game. But he's gonna have to be activated before then and be at practice. And they practice schedule just came out for this next little block here, and it's gonna be similar to the last few blocks. They're gonna go Tomorrow and Sunday in Santa Clara. They're gonna have a walk through Monday, and then head down to Los Angeles and practice in El Segundo with the Chargers on Tuesday. So the two days and then the walkthrough without media availability Monday, and then they head down Monday to LA and they'll practice with the Chargers. That's the heavy practice, right, the last one before the day prior to game, and then they'll play the Chargers coming up on Thursday at seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: Just real quick, like, what have you made of the difference in the travel schedules between the Niners and the forty or sorry, the the Niners in the Rams?
Speaker 3: Crazy where I've.
Speaker 2: Heard this before with the Rams where six Yeah, like last year they went to London.
Speaker 3: I think they I think they.
Speaker 2: Went from Baltimore straight to London, so it's not that bad of a trip. But they've done that before where we're just going to travel twenty four hours ahead, and they had a great game. I think they routed the Jaguars thirty five to seven, so they weren't you tired or anything like that. Where the Niners going to make a long trip out of it, but the Rams like no in and out, we're done.
Speaker 4: They're trying to time it to where they're essentially playing on adrenaline. Yeah, they're playing on a little bit of sleep, like one night of sleep and adrenaline. Yeah, and not even think about the fact that you're going as far as you're going and go there, handle business right back on the plane back home, and then take a few days to reacclimate and get back into your more normal routine for for the weeks to come. So, if anything, I feel like the forty nine ers have to have an advantage though you think going into it, I mean, I just I mean, and I know it's always a debate how the Niners handle injuries and how they handle the schedule, and how they all these different things. I mean, logically, I was talking with Copes and Todd Husack about this last night on the post game. Logically speaking, how can the forty nine ers not have the advantage in the way that in the way that they're doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't mean it's gonna work out well, I would say lately in sports for that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Maybe Now, maybe maybe the rams are also part of the equation. Maybe the rams are not putting as much on that one game. Maybe they're like, we're rolling the dice on this game and we're gonna play it out, but we're gonna be better for everything else we have ahead.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny is Kyle's talked about this openly for a while now than what the plan is as far as their schedule. When Sean McVay has asked us, he's like, I don't want to talk about it. People are making too much a big deal out of it. Our schedules were our schedule.
Speaker 4: It's a mental thing. Yeah, And there is definitely a difference in philosophy as similar as Kyle Shanahan and McVeagh are I feel like Kyle is more rigid, Oh yeah, and McVeigh is more a bleep it like we'll just we'll.
Speaker 2: Just show us around with the media, where Kyle's like, I just want to get in and out of these press corps.
Speaker 4: And I think and look, I mean, Kyle's affable and he's he's friendly and even funny and different things like especially when he's when he's on with you guys, and so it's like he's he's I'm not saying he's tight or anything like that, but I do think he is much more structured, shall we say, than that. I think they both are to be to be clear, but I think he is more structured and prepared in certain way. I mean they're both prepared, but in a more I guess in a more traditional He's more traditional, he's more old school. Yes, I feel like Kyle even though he's a young guy.
Speaker 3: He's like that.
Speaker 4: Even though he's a young guy, and I think he vibes with young younger players and athletes and all of that, he is much more I think of an old soul when it comes to his football acumen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I would.
Speaker 2: I would ask you the most important question, should he go mustache or no mustache?
Speaker 3: By way?
Speaker 4: Oh oh, that's an easy one for me. That's an easy one for me. Yes, no mustache.
Speaker 3: You're not a mustache.
Speaker 4: No, mustache. Come, no, no much.
Speaker 3: You're not a magne p I guy.
Speaker 4: Well, big Tom Salae guy, big big Tom Salae guy. Actually, but uh, I mean it's not nineteen eighty three, okay there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna make a pull it off. I think that, Kyle, can you.
Speaker 4: Know in the peak peak original magne p I, like nineteen eighty four, Like it's not nineteen eighty four. Yeah, so, I you know, I I'm not a fan. I do whatever you want, Kyle, but it just seems a little seems a little weird. But yeah, I don't know that that could also just be me making it weird in my head.
Speaker 2: I can't pull off a mustache myself. I just don't think that that's a good look for me, I think.
Speaker 3: But but I think Kyle pulls it off.
Speaker 2: So, you know, if he's feeling good, let's let's let's bring the preseason the regular.
Speaker 4: He pulls it off. And I say this kiddingly, like, yeah, he pulls it off, but there's a little there's just a little too much. Jeff Fisher, Oh in there, Well.
Speaker 3: We got some seven and nine bs going on.
Speaker 4: Remember no, no, no, no, no, not the record, no, no, no, like that, but yes, I remember I went hard knocks with that mustache being like just that that those that behavior right there.
Speaker 3: That's some seven and nine bs.
Speaker 4: Was it was it a wedding or a party or what was the thing where Kyle he had the mustache going and he was like all suited up and he had the flow going in the back and I'm like, got this. He looks like Jeff Fisher.
Speaker 2: I actually don't remember that. It might have been, might have been McCaffrey's wedding.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I actually remember he was he was he was.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I just it for me. I shouldn't be making it awkward, but i'd shave the dash all right. It seems like he's gonna keep it. I don't. I don't know. Maybe he's been asked about it and.
Speaker 2: I miss I think, yes, I think Eric Branch brought it up. But he was like, if people keep asking me about this, I made.
Speaker 3: To shave it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wasn't my first question when we talked to him this year. But I'll probably leave it alone.
Speaker 4: I think he's I would think he's probably gonna shave it before the open.
Speaker 3: I would think that would be my guests.
Speaker 4: Four.
Speaker 3: Wait, no, I'm kidding. Five.
Speaker 2: If you have an opinion about the stash by all means call in. But let's change things up. Let's talk a little Warriors JAD because.
Speaker 4: It's a little too ted Lasso.
Speaker 3: You think so a little bit? Are you a Lasso guy?
Speaker 4: Sure? But I don't like season one.
Speaker 3: Everything after that, I was like, I don't like. Yeah, yeah, I hear you on that one.
Speaker 2: And as far as Tom Selleck, as far as the Warriors.
Speaker 3: The schedule came out.
Speaker 2: I want to get your thoughts about the schedule coming out a little later in the show. But I want to get your thoughts on some of the comments made by Mike de Levy Junior and Joe lakeup about this offseason and would they entertain trading Steph Curry very odd comments the last few days.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: John Dickinson, Derek Papa, Marcus Thompson joins us at three point fifty. It's dirty work on the patio fifty eight Social on these Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park. This is dirty work with Copes and d Pop on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: We're back, Derek Papa, John Dickinson for the Little Dirty Work On a Friday at fifty eight Social Marcus Thomps is gonna join us in about thirteen minutes talking about the Warriors off season, some comments from Mike Delevy Junior and Joe Lakeup and really good article he wrote the other day about the passing of Don Nelson's ask him about that as well. But Jad Tuck, let's let's talk some Warriors here. And Mike de Levy Junior was at forty nine ers practice a.
Speaker 3: Couple of days ago to joint practice. Did you see him there?
Speaker 4: And did jew he was there? Yeah? Yeah, didn't didn't get a chance to shot with him right right. And then I forgot that he was doing the call at two o'clock and I was driving home and I'm like, ah, he's doing the call right now.
Speaker 3: He's doing the call. Wasn't on the call, but he was talking to John Lynch.
Speaker 2: And then he did a prescott our little media zoom talking about the Warriors offseason, and some fans didn't like his comments, and we.
Speaker 3: Tried we make calls. A lot of reaction on social media.
Speaker 2: I think people coming down his road like he was far anziety or something like I get.
Speaker 3: It like he's been built.
Speaker 2: He's been dealt a pretty hard hand here where he's had to fill the shoes a Bob Myers and try to, you know, bring in some big time talent in Steph Curry's remaining year. So how would you evaluate Mike to Levy's job as a GM so far?
Speaker 4: I think he's done a solid job overall. I think his draft picks have been solid. I think that Jimmy Butler trade, while I've said a ton, is one that fell into their lap because Jimmy Butler had tanked his value with Miami to a point where you didn't have to give up a lot to get him. That being said, they still did give up the draft pick that was coming up the closest and they were comfortable with where that draft was going back to twenty twenty five. To give up that pick and you give up Andrew Wiggins, you got to give up somebody in a salary match in an attempt to make it happen. And they cobbled together a bunch of other money and pieces to go different places to make that trade ultimately work. So there are a bunch of things that had to be done to do it, and he was able to get it done. But as far as the actual player and his relationship with Jimmy, I think is part of why that trade did come to fruition, So I think he gets credit for that. I think the frustrating thing, though, is the inaction otherwise right and the unwillingness seemingly to pivot with Jimmy Butler's injury to it'll basically go with some shorter term options to where if you accept the fact and I think the Warriors have accepted the fact that they're no longer championship contenders, I think that that started with them losing in Phoenix in April. I think everybody's accepted it. I think Steph has accepted it. I think Steve Kerrs accepted it. I think Dunleavy's accepted it. Joe lacub not necessarily on the record, has accepted it.
Speaker 3: Raymond's accepted it.
Speaker 4: I think everybody's accepted it. Yeah, I think Raymond's accepted it. So when you accept that and you understand that the team that you had at the end of last year is also likely going to be the team if you don't change it that you bring back to begin next year, why not do something a little different. And that doesn't always mean for all the people that are screaming at fans and are screaming it at me, that are saying, well, what would you have done, JD, I would have done something else. Yeah, I really would have. And look, I'm I'm not opposed to bringing the guys back that they brought back either. Like I talked for the last two months of this season on dubzot about how you'd want to bring Porzingis back, and you'd like to have Horford back, and Melton's a good player and all that, but that can't be it. And you know, the Axellndenberg looks like a really good pick. You don't want to put too much on his plate in terms of having to be a savior in year one for a team that's waiting for their second best player to come back in the middle or maybe later than the middle of the season. So I would have looked to have moved Jimmy Butler's contract. I would have looked to have have got have brought in maybe some talented players that aren't necessarily going to get you back to championship contention, and yes, would have cost you first round draft capital in the near future, not all your picks, not not four future firsts and three swaps, and like nobody's saying that, but you give up a couple of first round picks in an attempt to get player X, Y or Z that can improve your team off of what this is going into this season. To me, once you accept you can't win a title anymore, then it should be free to be more aggressive. And for whatever reason, And I know dun Levey had said, hey, there are a bunch of things that you know were if you only knew the calls we made, and things you only knew could have been done and almost happened, and we're on the table. And fine, I don't I don't even disagree with that, right, but it is not a good look for this team to be exactly the same. Plus the Axelnde bird to the team that got beat on April eighteenth in Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Now, I mean it's not good.
Speaker 2: I think they're kind of delusional to be honest, when I hear Joe Laku go on with Tim Kawakami and say like, well, you know we were injured last year and we'll bring back all these players you weren't good before that let's be honest. Jimmy Butler said, we're mediocre, and then he got hurt, and then Steph.
Speaker 4: Curry got hurt. What it took him too long to get going? Yeah, they were two under five hundred and then they got going. Here's where I think it even goes back farther. I think they were foolish to believe, not that the team wasn't capable of being the twenty three and eight team that finished two years ago twenty four to twenty five season, but to think that that would translate over eighty two games, or even or translate over the healthy portion of Jimmy Butler season last year. To me, that was a fool's errand. And the reason that was a fool's errand was because of how hard the Warriors had to work to win those games. To get to that twenty three they busted their ass every single night for a third of the season, took only two to three games that they punted on. I think in that stretch maybe two and so they were again twenty three and eight, they were really like they were really or twenty yeah, twenty one and eight, twenty three and eight, yeah, yeah, twenty three. Sorry, I got them at twenty three and eight. It probably could have been twenty three and six, right, you know, because there were a couple that they kind of punted on there. So you weren't going to be that team because it's going to be too hard to bring that level of intent every night. And that's even before the injuries over an eighty two game schedule. So to me, you had to build a team that you knew that could be the ceiling for that team, but was better equipped to get through the regular season. They didn't do that, and then they kind of were lazy through the beginning part of the season. They were under five hundred. They had to have a get your bleep together meeting to try to get on a roll. They were getting on a roll, but then Jimmy Butler got hurt and they were six over instead of maybe fourteen over because they hadn't had the proper night in, night out compete up until that point. And then the whole thing falls apart, as it obviously would with not only Jimmy out and then and then Steph out, but to now have Mike Dunleavy come out and well, we love this team, and he's in essence saying he still thinks the team they have now is the same team that finished twenty four to twenty five that level of good, even though we're talking about now two years older on top of multiple injuries. It it's foolish, it really is. So I don't I don't think Dunleevey's bad at his job. I think there's a lot of circumstances that are unique to this situation with ownership and ownership, sons, involvements and things, you know, in terms of being in the front office that he can't always get the final say that he needs to maybe make something happen, and they have to get everybody to sign off on it. So I think there's an issue there. But to think that you're just gonna run it back is just and then everybody should just be okay with it, like what It's one thing to say you want to run it back, but then to almost have the expectation that the fans should be cool with it or something's wrong with them. That's that's that's a joke. Frankly, that's that's embarrassing. No, it is to think that there would not be pushback off of running it back. Plus y Axel and just kind of waiting for Jimmy and thinking that you're gonna be okay, and then putting added pressure on Staph to carry the load in the first half of the season. What's he gonna have left in the second half? And oh, by the way, what happens if he gets hurt in the first half. Again, it's a long it's a rant that I've gone on a couple of different times here on these Sports leader over the last couple of months. But nobody should be chastising Warrior fans for not being accepting of the way they've handled this offseason.
Speaker 3: No, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I think that to expect Jimmy Butler to return from a torn acl and they'll be a better team.
Speaker 3: I don't see that.
Speaker 2: I don't see Moses Moody coming back from an injury at any point this season. It almost feels like they kind of run things now like the Pittsburgh Steelers where being ten and seven status quo. That's good for us, for the Warriors to be in the play in but they're not gonna be that well yeah, I mean no. The thing is like, if that was.
Speaker 4: The case, if it was, hey, we can get to the sixth seed. I think I think that would be. But they're they're delusional in thinking, like, what do you think they think their.
Speaker 3: Ceiling is be a top six team in the West?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is there? What is there? What is the reality of their ceiling? Nine ten seed and the reality is seven at the absolute highest. Yeah, with the team they currently have, it's probably like nine. Yeah, it's probably like nine to twelve, nine to thirteen in the in the Western Conference, right.
Speaker 2: So that's I thought it was ridiculous when Joe Lacup went on with TK and said, you know, our fans expect this and that, well, because you set that mentality years ago where you said, you know, I don't care what the rules are, I'm gonna spend this amount of money to get these superstars. And now it's like, guys, in the last ten years, we've won four championships.
Speaker 3: Aren't you guys happy with that?
Speaker 2: And as a fan, yes I am, But don't expect fans to feel the same way.
Speaker 3: And that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: So real quick, we don't need to play the audio, but just your thoughts on Mike to only be junior. I thought maybe this was his biggest misstep as a GM so far. I don't know why he said this, but the whole Danny Immerman asking him, like, has Steph maybe alluded to you guys that he doesn't want to sign back, and he kept going on and on and on, saying, if there's a point where Steph comes to me and Joe and says, I don't want to be here anymore, we kind of have to entertain, then it grant that for him.
Speaker 3: I thought that came out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought that. Actually, I will say I thought that actually got a little blown out of proportion. Okay, I think I think he's acknowledging, Hey, that isn't the case, that isn't where we are right now. But if Steph I think I actually think he was just being real. Like if Steph did, I don't view it as the Warriors would prefer that to happen, but I but I think that's where the that's where the anger comes from, that's where the frustration comes from. Me.
Speaker 2: I don't think that the Warriors prefer that happened. I just think it's a weird thing to say where.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's I think it's an obvious thing to say though, Like if Steph came to them they'd work with him. But I think they also and Joel Aka mentioned this to Tim KAALAKAMEDI, they also are really confident he's not going.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think they look at that, and I will give them the benefit of the doubt on that. I think they look at that as kind of an eye roll. It's like, well, yeah, he answered the question in the literal, most literal term. I mean like if Steph came to them and said I want out, they would trade him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't doubt that.
Speaker 4: So I don't doubt think he was answering. Honestly, I don't know. I'll let you what what. I'll let you finished.
Speaker 3: I just thought I just thought it wasn't anything that needed to be said.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was a weird thing where not to compare him to Bob Myers all the time, but Bob wouldn't say anything like that in Joe. I don't know if he told Tim Kallakami, I want to go on your podcast to you know, clear the.
Speaker 4: Air here, but I could imagine it was probably already in the works.
Speaker 2: Probably, But like I think I think he, you know, let it be known, like we're not trading Steph Curry.
Speaker 3: Not that I thought that.
Speaker 2: Mike dellingby Junior thought that are are kind of like alluded to them. Maybe they will do that, But I just thought it was a weird thing to bring up, kind of a couple of.
Speaker 4: Years ago where Well Yet asked a question. I know, but the.
Speaker 2: Question wasn't if Steph Curry came to you and said he wants to be traded?
Speaker 3: Would you entertain that he brought that up on his own.
Speaker 2: I thought it was just random to bring up, and then Joe kind of acts like, Oh, that's bull crap, that's just stuff the media brings up.
Speaker 4: No, your GM brought up yesterday. No, he brought it up. It look gets fair to discuss it. But I also think it's fair if you're Joe Lakub to say it's a little bit silly to think that that would that that would be what would happen? Yeah, because I think they're really confident that Steph's not going to do that, and I think they're adamant that they don't want him to do that. And that's the part where again I will say I disagree with a certain portion of the fan base that thinks that like The Warriors essentially want Steph to go to them and say, hey, I want out, because now they can rebuild, and Joe would rather really rebuild quicker. Yeah, but I don't think Joelcob wants to rebuild more quickly than he necessarily has to because the moment at which Steph is gone, Chase Center's half full. Yeah, until the Warriors are good again, And that's just reality.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about Marcus Thompson coming up next before we go to break. I just want to get to the Dugout Health Report sponsored by Kaiser Permanente. Learn more about what Kaiser Permanente can do for you at kp dot org. Yesterday, Matt Chapman and Trevor McDonald were placed on the sixty day IL, so their seasons are officially over, and William Domas had an MRI mild lower backstrain. He's day to day Christian costs is in at shortstops. There you go for your doug Out Health Report sponsored by Kaiser Permanente.
Speaker 3: Let's catch up.
Speaker 2: Let's catch up with Marcus Thompson of The Athletic next, talking about what Mike on Levy Junior and joelkapad To say it's dirty work on the patio.
Speaker 3: John Dickinson, Derek Papa on the Sports.
Speaker 1: Leader Now Backtop dirty Work Adam Copeland and Derek Papa in the k NBR Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you just drop in? Please play responsibly Call one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Dirty work on the patio At fifty eight Social Rockies in Giants Tonight. John Dickinson Derek Poppa talking some Warriors off season. We're talking about the Mike and Levy Junior quote a couple of days ago where he brought up kind of out of left field that uh, I mean, not out of left field. I should say that's that that's a little much, but.
Speaker 4: Was asked, but he I think he just got and look, I don't want to speak for him on this. I'll let you finish your point. I think he just got kind of caught where he'd take it too. Honestly, sometimes you just you start giving an answer and you don't know where it's going. I mean it happens to you and me on this, but you just start you just start talking and you kind of wind yourself into a weird spot, right, and you either give something that maybe you didn't you didn't necessarily want to, or you talk about something in a little bit of a different way. I think I think that's what happened. I think it was kind of an honest miss. I don't even want to call the mistake because I don't even think it's necessarily a thing. Although anything related to Steph Curry in this market is obviously going to become a thing, of course, especially if you're talking about the prospect of him going and asking for a trade to not be a Golden State Warrior anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, the question that Danny Emmerman asked was has Steph given you any indication that he wouldn't want to sign an extension this offseason? And Mike, you know what, let's just play the clip play it. Yeah, this is Mike a couple of days ago, asked about Steph Curry's future with the Warriors.
Speaker 6: I think there's two things I'm confident about with Steph. He really really wants to win, and he wants to finish his career as a Warrior, and that's I don't think that changes tomorrow. August twenty ninth, the start of the season, middle of the season, the end of next season. I think that's those things are going to be consistent.
Speaker 4: No, he hasn't.
Speaker 6: That's always been the message. That's always been sort of what we discussed, and I think that's you tracking quite well. Obviously, he's for an extension coming up at the end of this month, and you know, we'll talk through all that stuff and can't speak on it much right now, but you know, I'm pretty confidence Steph will finish his career here. But you know, ultimately it's his it's his it's his call, his decision, whether that's all in his contract to run out and move on or you know, look, if he comes to me and wants to be moved, you know, Joe and I will talk it through. We wouldn't love it, but he's earned the right to do where he wants to do those things. So, but but as far as the messaging or any idea that he would be anywhere else, that's not a thing we're looking at, or he's looking at.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the meat and potatoes of what he's saying is the important stuff. In the beginning of that response, where he believes that Steph Cerry wants to finish.
Speaker 4: His beginning in the end. I mean he said it at the beginning and the end.
Speaker 2: Yes, But I thought there was just multiple times where he could have just stopped instead of saying, now, if he wants to let his contract play out a runout, or if he comes to us and asks for a trade. That's the part where I'm like, you know, how things are dissected. It was a talking point with the national media on ESPN, should Steph Curry ask for a trade? And when the GM acknowledges that, it just kind of has more fuel to the fire.
Speaker 4: It's fair for it to be a talking point. Yeah, of course, number one, because it is fair to wonder. I mean I've wondered it. I think Warrior fans have wondered when they look at what has been done to build this roster or not a lot of other stars would have already gone in and said, hey, you need to do this, this and this, or I want out. Even given four championships like, there are a lot of players that would have already done that. So it's a fair talking point, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. He wants to finish his career as a warrior. Mike Dudleyby said that always been the message, always been discussed that that way, and so I don't know. I think he was just being honest in that, Hey, this is what it would look like if it ever got to that point where it changed, if it changed in terms of that opinion. I also think if if if Steph's opinion changed and he wanted to apply pressure to the front office, which I don't believe that he's done, we can get Marcus Thompson's take on that.
Speaker 3: He's going to join us at four thirty.
Speaker 4: If if that's the case, then I mean, you look at this whole situation, and I think it's much ado about nothing, honestly, because if he wants to not be around, he would tell him that and they would again they would have to, I think, respect his wishes and look to move him. But he hasn't wanted to do that to this point in time. So I think whatever Mike Dunlevy said in between is it Honestly, it's kind of irrelevant. I think it's or it's it's kind of a duh, Like of course they would look to it looked either look to move him because he would want to be moved, or again, Steph would have the opportunity to apply that pressure, and then we'll see what the worri like if he applied that pressure, which he hasn't done. Would the Warriors be more apt to give up more to look to improve this team in the short term. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. But to this point, Steph hasn't applied that pressure to where they felt they've needed to necessarily do that. Which, Oh, by the way, a lot of Warrior fans are ticked about because Steph's too nice and maybe the Warriors are taking advantage of Steph being too nice.
Speaker 2: No, but you know what, I appreciate that because so many guys play this card. If I'm a superstar, I want to get the hell out of here, and should Steph Curry do that? Maybe, but I do appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You can always threaten it and not do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I also think that Steph likes being here. I think that he likes that Steve Kurrz coming back. He likes the Draymonds here, So even though they're not contending for a championship, as you said earlier, he feels content about that. Like talking to Marcus Thompson and Moses Moody's thing. He's like, I know what the plan is, and you know, it's good to go out and try to get a Lebron James or inquire out Gian honest, but there's a lot of guys out there.
Speaker 3: That I didn't want to get.
Speaker 2: And you know what, Steph plays a role in this as well, Like people get up in arms about Mike don Levy Junior or sorry Mike, Mike Dunlevy or Joe Lacup and they're like, why are they more aggressive?
Speaker 3: Steph is also kind of like I don't want that guy.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't want to go get a lot remarking, and I don't want to go get that superstar. I'd rather just play with the guys we have. So I'm not taking Steph Curry out of the equation either. It's just I don't know. I thought it was puzzling that he would bring that up. But you're right, Jad, when you look at the or you listen to the quote altogether, yes it's duh, of course it is, but I still think it needed to be said. But Joe Lacup was asked about this with Tim Kawakami on his podcast asked if Steph Cury will sign a contract in the next couple of weeks here.
Speaker 5: I mean, we have to have that conversation with him. It's not the date yet, we're not really we're not at that point, but we're getting close. We'll have that conversation. We'll see what he wants to do, what his camp wants to do. Mike and our group will, you know, decide what's the appropriate thing from our end. But my guess is Steph, I wouldn't worry about this too much. You know, Steph loves it here. We love him here. I don't want Steph to go anywhere. I really can't imagine a scenario where he's going anywhere. I think we'll do what needs to be done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm not surprised.
Speaker 2: I think that they may have some indication that he's going to sign the next couple of weeks here.
Speaker 3: But I would be shocking that he wouldn't put pen to paper.
Speaker 4: Well, I I don't know about that, and the reason why is not anything as far as him not wanting to be with the Warriors. But I wonder if he goes with his version of let's say what Draymond Green did, which is give the Warriors more flexibility by not signing the extension immediately, because if he signs the extension immediately, that money is on the books, right and so you have less money to maneuver with next off season, even with Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green potentially coming off the books, you could create a scenario where you could clear a bunch of this cap space maximum level cap space, try to make some moves either via trade because you can trade players into that cap space, or via regular free agency, pending on what's available on the market, and then sign Steph to go over the cap at that point to a deal that could equal the deal that he could get on August the twenty ninth. So there may be a financial component to this where when everybody sits down, it makes a little bit more sense to not necessarily sign between now or August twenty ninth, let's say, in the beginning of the regular season, because that deal is going to be on the table for Steph at any point moving forward up until he would be a free agent. So I think it's that there's a path where I think you almost wouldn't want him necessarily to sign. Now, does that create a scenario where you know, there's armageddon scenario where maybe he winds up not coming back. Yeah, you know maybe. But I don't think anybody listening to Mike dunleyby listening to Joel Aika, listening to Steph in the past. We can ask Marcus Thompson about it, like, I don't think anybody really views Steph leaving as a threat. Now, Look, Steph has to be willing to do that. Steph also could have an injury and all of a sudden, maybe a sixty five million dollar contract for that year or two on one hundred and thirty five or whatever it is, it becomes less if he has some kind of, you know, career altering even at this late stage of his career type of an injury. So I think that part has to be factored in and wide. But I wouldn't necessarily think that there should be some freak out if he doesn't immediately sign that deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if there would be a freak out, but it would just like cause the conversation of to Steph wan out.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously that would happen.
Speaker 4: Where it would be a fair conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just don't.
Speaker 2: I I would be prize myself just because Steph doesn't play these games.
Speaker 3: He's always been loyal. Go go ahead, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm not coming down your road. Yes, he doesn't play these games. But at the same time, it's like, if you're a Warrior fan, don't you kind of want him to play these games? Because here's the thing. You you can you can applaud Steph and look, I'm not blaming Steph in this at all, but you can applaud Steph for not being a game player. But the fact that he's not a game player is leading to this scenario where the Warriors are not pushing harder to look to improve this team. Right, So it's kind of like, if you're a if you're the ultimate Steph fan and you respect the hell out of the out of Steph for not pushing the issue more, at the same time, you're one of these people that is demanding change that isn't there, And it's like, I mean, I gotta tell you, if I wanted this change, I'd want Steph to be a little more forceful. Again, that doesn't I'm not that doesn't mean I'm blaming him for not doing that, But I feel it's there's a little have your cake and eat it too at play here where it's like, you can't say this to Steph, you know, don't be pushy about it, and then they take advantage of you not being pushy about it by not doing anything. And then and then it's like, well.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that he should. He he uh, shouldn't be pushy about it. He should, But nothing has shown to me over the last few months that he would be Like in that Marcus Thompson article, he seems like, yeah, you know what, I appreciate how aggressive they are. I've seen behind the scenes, how hard they work. But he seems like he's okay with the way that things are going, which is surprising to me.
Speaker 4: It is surprising. And and again I'll let everybody speak to their own opinion as to whether that's disappointing or not, whether that's being stand up as a as an individual or not. But it is accurate, and it is I think a little bit surprising because I think he could apply more pressure than he has to this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think.
Speaker 4: He could still do it in a way where he's not necessarily coming off as others who have looked to do that throughout the course of history.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what was funny to me, like this happened a couple of months ago, But Draymond Greed did a guest spot on Inside the NBA where he gave a long, convoluted answer about the Warrior's future, and he said, I don't think we need to measure success anymore at this point in our careers with championships. And I was surprised by that because Draymond's been all about championships. He made a guarantee when they acquired Jimmy Butler they're gonna win the championship. But now and this point in their careers, I think Draymon, I think Steph, I think Steve to a degree with all the comments he made last year saying we're a fading dynasty where it's like we love being Warriors.
Speaker 3: Do we want to you know, we want to win championship?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and you heard Joe Lacops say it numerous times in the podcast with TK, but he also kind of seems like, you know, if it doesn't happen, we're good, which you know, I kind of appreciate At the same time, I understand my fans are like, what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Right, But I understand Draymond acknowledging it and Steve Igno knowledging it and Steph acknowledging it. It's okay to acknowledge the reality they're not a title contender.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 4: They're not, and they weren't on April eighteenth, and they've done nothing to make them that in the last four months. That's just reality. You cannot be a title contender and also not bring the exact same roster back plus your first round draft pick and Jack Lindeberg and expect to be better than you were, like it. Like, both of those things are equally true in this case, and I think that's the part that's frustrating. I would think acknowledging the fact that you're no longer a title contender would make it more freeing to look to think outside the box and douce you know it doesn't have and not bring everybody back and look. Dunleavy explained it. They did a risk reward on the guys they had and the guys they like, and they're betting on health again. I think foolishly they're betting on health at an extreme level. And look, if you want to bring some of these veterans back, that's okay too, but you have to also add younger players to the mix that are gonna be able to absorb a lot of the minutes where you're not gonna have Horford or Perzingis player Melton's gonna need a night off or Steph's gonna need a night off or drama like they haven't. You could bring all these guys back, add two or three other players that could absorb those those minutes to where you could get through the regular season more effectively. They didn't do that either. They didn't do that either. And that's the part that I think is maddening, because I think everybody can see where this thing looks like it's heading for twenty twenty six, twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we'll see about this season.
Speaker 2: But let's go through the schedule real quick before we catch up with Marcus Thompson at four thirty. Yeah, I know it doesn't like it does sound promising, but let's go through the schedule. John Dickets and Derek Papa here at the patio of Show at fifty eight Social It's dirty work on these sports leader