Speaker 1: And very happy Friday to you.
Speaker 2: At twelve oh seven in the West, it's the Giane at Phillips Show, broadcasting live from Las Vegas, Nevada. Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City, John.
Speaker 3: We have some breaking news involving a lot of cheap flights from La to Las Vegas. Spirit Airlines may be ceasing operations as of this weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, who ends up with the Spirit Airlines passengers?
Speaker 1: Because hear me out for a second.
Speaker 2: If all of the Spirit Airlines passengers who live in California could then get stranded in some other city and we just leave them there, we might be able to fix the state just from doing that.
Speaker 3: Apparently, the government bailout of Spirit is not going to happen, and they run out of money this weekend, so Spirit might be gonzo.
Speaker 1: Have you ever flown Spirit Airlines before?
Speaker 3: No, because I have class.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how much class I have, but I'm six foot four and the idea of trying to cram myself into one of those seats without the assistance of a stick of butter and being charged for literally everything, including trips to the bathroom, maybe not bad, but everything else just has zero appeal to me.
Speaker 3: There's always that chart that goes around like what the legroom is on all the major airlines, and Spirit is by far the worst.
Speaker 2: Remember when we sat down at the debate, they put us in the front row, and everyone around us was concerned because we had tons of legroom. There was no one in front of us. I could stretch my legs all the way out and not touch anyone or anything. And the people around us were like, wait a minute, these aren't EIGHTYA seats, are they? If these are eighty A seats, we can't sit here. Don't put us in eighty A seats. And then the docent was like, oh no, I thought so too, but they're not. These are regular seats. They're not eighty A seats. And they had a little chuckle. How both of them were on the same page. And you and I were sitting there with our heads down, thinking, who cares, let's just enjoy the leg room.
Speaker 3: At no point were we concerned that we were sitting in seats that had handicap signs on them.
Speaker 1: Not at all.
Speaker 2: And you know what, being six foot four in a theater that was built in the nineteen twenties, that's handicapped as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred two two two five two two two East telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two.
Speaker 2: So Javier Bacaria is seeing the Bakaia bump right now in the polls to determine who will be California's next governor. However, there are now storm clouds on the horizon as his former top aide, Sean McClusky, who has pleaded guilty to federal charges related to corruption, and Dana Williamson, who is the woman that was Gavin Newsom's top aid for some time and did some work for Javier Bachariea, who was accused by the FEDS of stealing.
Speaker 1: From some of his bank accounts.
Speaker 2: She has not decided if she's going to plead guilty and cut a deal with the Feds quite yet, or put her innocence out there and say that she is not guilty and try to beat the charges in court. What we do know is that all of this is a great, big problem for Javier Bakariea due to the timing.
Speaker 3: And the timing gets worse for the new possible front runner in the race because the political consulting firm that is connected to McCluskey and Williams. Well, they're spending a whole bunch of money to prop up Bakaria, which means the Dana Williamson story is back in the news.
Speaker 1: Scrub it now, listen to this.
Speaker 2: This is a tweet that was put out by Michael Trehillo, who is a Democratic political consultant based in Los Angeles who has worked with Antonio via Rigosa over the years. Here's what he put out this morning five hours ago on X quote. Let's be absolutely clear, the FBI has a file on Javier Bakaria in their wire taps of Bakaria's campaign manager, Dana Williamson and Javier's chief of staff. How many times does Bakaia's name appear in their evidence collection process? Five thousand times the higher or lower.
Speaker 3: But when you do the scrub, is he going to go put that one on Calshi?
Speaker 2: Maybe only the Biden DOJ since that's who launched the investigation on Bakaria's political operation. Javier Bakaria getting into the runoff hands the Trump administration the power to release Bakaria's FBI file and make Hilton our next California governor. Buyer Beware end quote.
Speaker 3: And there could be something there, but it's also very possible that Bessera's name is in the file because it was his account they were stealing from.
Speaker 2: Now we have more information on Dana Williamson and all of her trouble and how it's going to impact Javier Bakaria.
Speaker 3: Here is Casey A three and Ashley Zavalla.
Speaker 5: There are some questions tonight's surrounding Democratic candidate for governor Javier.
Speaker 6: Pasera, A political firm with close ties to the people accused of stealing money from his campaign account, is now running a campaign to support him. Case Are three's political director, Ashley Zavala, joins US Now to explain what's going on.
Speaker 7: Adian Gulston. Federal prosecutors have said a business called The Collaborative was part of the scheme ran by Dana Williamson and Greg Campbell used to steal a quarter of a million dollars from one of Javier Bessea's campaign accounts. Williamson was Bassa's advisor and former campaign manager. Her case is still ongoing and she's in talks for a possible plea deal. Campbell was a Sacramento lobbyist and consultant who has already pleaded guilty. In this case, a powerful political firm called bear Star was associated.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's a smith, this firm, and that's also Gavin's firm.
Speaker 3: It's all connected.
Speaker 7: A powerful political firm called Bear Star was associated with the two at the time of the alleged crime and were members of the collaborative. Bear Star has not been implicated in this case, but tonight we're learning Bear Star is now running a new campaign to support Javier Bessea's run for governor, a situation that's.
Speaker 3: Reason that's funny because wasn't ace miss people trying to figure out trying to figure out who was going to be a viable candidate. They wanted to put their money behind Banta, but that didn't happen. They wanted to put their money behind Padilla, but that didn't happen. Of course, Rick Caruso hired them for La Mayor, but then he didn't run for governor. So now they're getting behind Bisera.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: They are a blue chip firm looking for a horse to ride, and now they've settled on baker Ria.
Speaker 3: They were the firm that ran Adam Schiff's campaign when he ran for Senate, and they helped devise the strategy to elevate Steve Garvey, which Katie Porter called.
Speaker 1: I call it the shift gift, and she's still mad about that.
Speaker 7: A situation that's raising more questions about this case. It's Williamson. Do you have anything to say to Javiata Bassetta?
Speaker 8: Right now?
Speaker 7: Nearly six months since Javier Massea's former campaign manager.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, that was when she talked to Dana after the initial court appearance, right and all the reporters had this scrun, and she's trying to walk to her car and the car is blocking the bike lane, and then this happened.
Speaker 2: I do want to correct you on one point that you made. I don't think she was walking. I think she was waddling. I stand corrected.
Speaker 7: Nearly six months since Javier Bessera's former campaign manager was accused of stealing his money. The business she allegedly used to do it is in the process of shutting down. Federal prosecutors say Dana Williamson and Sacramento lobbyist Greg Campbell used their LLC, The Collaborative, to help funnel nearly a quarter of a million dollars from Javier Beascera's campaign funds to the personal bank account of his longtime chief of staff, Sean mclusky, and then.
Speaker 3: They all went to Mexico.
Speaker 2: Everyone around this guy who was in the inner circle was robbing him blind.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 7: Court records say McCluskey was taking a pay cut to follow Bassera from California to Washington, d C. To work in the Biden administration.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, oh wait, there might be something else here. Is it at all possible that what this scheme really was supposed to be about was as the secretary of HHS, he could only pay this guy so much money, but he was accustomed to those California campaign salaries, and they figured out a way to even.
Speaker 1: That out one hundred percent. That's what this is.
Speaker 9: This is him augmenting his income, augmenting his top eight income, so the aid would leave the high paying job in California for the lower paying job in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: To work for Besara at HHS. Because let's not forget Basarah had very few friends in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: Pelosi hated him, the Biden.
Speaker 2: Administration regarded him as the worst pick for the cabinet, that the Republicans certainly had no love for him. Bassara was on an island in DC. He needed to bring someone with him that he trusted so that someone had his back. My opinion is that what he did was he brought that guy with him to Washington, d C. Augmented the income by whatever it was that they negotiated. And my guess is that Dana wasn't stealing either. That what she was doing was she was being paid a retainer to stay out of the governor's race so when Bessara got out of the Biden administration, he could come back and run for governor and have the campaign manager he wanted.
Speaker 3: That's all very very possible.
Speaker 7: Court records say McCluskey was taking a pay cut to follow Bassera from California to Washington, d C. To work in the Biden administration. McCluskey pleaded guilty in the case. In my sit down conversation with Vessea earlier this month, he said he was truly misled and thought he was paying for account management that didn't raise any flags for you, that those payments.
Speaker 10: So we were paying for management of a dormant account, making sure that nothing was no to laws were violated.
Speaker 3: And that costs ten thousand dollars a month, you.
Speaker 2: Know, It's funny is that this sort of thing goes on in the private sector all the time. I know, for example, and I'm not going to reveal any names, but a host who went from being a local host on a local station in a big market to a nationally syndicated host. And what happened sometimes is you go from working for an affiliate to working for a syndication service. Well, sometimes it's not what you think. Sometimes the money isn't better in syndicated radio. Sometimes the money's better in big market radio. So this guy wanted to bring his producer with them, and the producer decided that they would go along with the host because they had a good working relationship. Well, the producer would have to take a pay cut to go from working in the big market to working for the syndicated show. So the producer goes, why in the world would I ever agree to do that? More responsibility, more tasks, less pay. And so what the host did was the host figured out a way to augment the producer's income, so the producer would make more money, not less money. But the money didn't come from the syndication service. The money came from the host. In the private sector, you can do these sorts of things provided everyone pays taxes and you know it's all declared and kosher. But you can't do that in the public sector. You're not supposed to be able to do that. And what Besarah did, in my opinion, is he did with that host did when the producer was asked to take a pay cut. In this case, it was McCluskey who was asked to take a pay cut to work for the federal government. Now he knows where his bread is buttered. He didn't rat his boss out. He took a plea deal and he expects, I guess, the process to take care of him. I don't know if he's going to get a pardon at some point in the future. I don't know if he's got a job waiting for him on the other side. I don't know what kind of deal has worked out on he worked out on his behalf. But Dana Williamson is kind of a wild card at this point because she appears to be the target of this investigation. She's the big fish. She was the big name that was involved here, so you can go after her for many years. She's an old, fat, sick woman who just got a new liver. You can squeeze her. She's probably of retirement age, So what motivation does she have to protect Psara at this point? Her motivation, to my eye, is to save herself and to keep some of those handbags.
Speaker 10: That too, because I was Secretary of Healthy Human Service as a cabinet member, I had to distance myself from anything that looked political or campaign related.
Speaker 3: But I wanted to make sure I took those people with me, and we had to figure out how to pay them and put them on retainers.
Speaker 7: An attorney for the collaboratives, manager Jim Deboo, told us in a statement quote the Collaborative is non operative, inactive, and is in the process of being dissolved. It has no material assets, no business activities, no revenue, nor will it. The only item remaining for the final dissolution is to file a certificate of cancelation. The Collaborative was an alliance of political consultants including Bear Star Strategies.
Speaker 3: It's the Avengers for hacks.
Speaker 7: The homepage of the Collaborative's website featured this proverb call one wolf. You invite the.
Speaker 1: Pack sounds like a prison gang.
Speaker 7: The homepage of the Collaborative's website featured this proverb, call one wolf, you invite the pack. Bear Star was not part of the pack of people indicted for the federal crimes, and a spokesman told Ksey three on Thursday, Bearstar has had no involvement, interest, or stake in the collaborative since twenty twenty two, but they were still listed on the website when Williamson was indicted in November. This week, Bearstar launched a new independent expenditure campaign to support Besserra in his bid for governor. We're asking experts if the optics of this are problematic.
Speaker 11: And the fact is that this Dana Williamson individual is part of Bear Stars and their collaborative. It's title voters across the state that something sinks.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a little more complicated than Swallowell accused racest, but there might be something here.
Speaker 2: No, what it is when you distill it down, is it's money laundering. Mike true Heeal money laundering.
Speaker 7: Mike true Hee. You is a democratic strategist based in Los Angeles. With Bear Star running this ie, does it make Javier's claim that he's a victim in this harder to believe for the public?
Speaker 1: It should the answer is yes.
Speaker 12: It should remind people though that you know, this scandal is not completely resolved.
Speaker 7: Republican strategist Rob Stutzman used to lead the communications team for former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Speaker 12: No, there is this unspecter of these unknowns, a swirl around Javier but Sarah, whether he did anything wrong or not, he just can't escape it. And now when the same consultants that are tangential to all this, not directly involved, no evidence of that, but tangentially involved, we're in business with the people.
Speaker 2: That were involved.
Speaker 12: It's going to be hard to kind of get away from the question.
Speaker 7: Bear Star is seen as a political consulting powerhouse in California, with clients and successful campaigns that include Governor's Gavin Newsom, Jerry Brown, former Attorney General Kamala Harris, and US Senator Alex Padilla. Bear Star has already.
Speaker 3: They really wanted Padia to run.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they want all the boldface names.
Speaker 7: Bear Star has already tried to back several possible candidates for governor, including Lieutenant Governor Elenni Kunolakis, who dropped out of the race last year.
Speaker 3: And by the way, that just mentioned all of Bear star's successful campaigns. Their most profitent full campaign was the Rick Caruso campaign, and it was not successful at all.
Speaker 1: Oh, that one's putting their great grandchildren through college.
Speaker 3: There you go. That is the latest on the scandal that isn't going away surrounding the consultants tied to this guy.
Speaker 10: Scrub it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Republicans. Most desirable outcome number one is Helton versus Bianco in the general. Most desirable outcome number two is Hilton versus Besera in the general. Because I think the odds are over fifty to fifty. This guy gets indicted before the election. Seems pretty easy to understand too, which makes it an even bigger problem for him. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't Like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com and Randy. With the weekend quickly approaching, if you want to continue listening to us all weekend long, that's easy to do.
Speaker 3: All you gotta do is search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcast. That could be the Apple podcast app, iHeart Spotify, search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe. You could download all the episodes. You could do a Google on the YouTube. You can get the KABC app. You can get the ksfh app, get the KMJ now app. Because we're on in the big KMJ in the Central Valley Saturdays at noon. So many different ways to listen live to this show from noon to three. Because of streaming, you could do that wherever you are. And because a podcast, you can listen whenever you want. And even if you don't think that you need to download the podcast, just subscribe anyway. That way you have them. We trust that you want to subscribe to this show, just to support this show and tell all your friends about it. And don't bust that trust.
Speaker 1: Don't bust the trust.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, what do you say we make a couple of listeners very happy.
Speaker 3: Well, let's do that right now. Seven ninety KABC welcomes Howard Jones The Things can only get better to her at the Greek Theater July twenty third. Tickets are on sale now at ticketmaster dot com or right now calling number nine at one eight at eight seven ninety five. Two to two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. Tickets furnished by Live Nation Good Luck dialing.
Speaker 2: Just would you think that fire victims can't get disrespected anymore? They find a way to do it.
Speaker 3: Residents in Alta, Dina are getting hit with two years worth of property tax bills because Gavin Newsom put an executive order not to waive the property tax fees for all the people whose homes burned down, but just to delay them for a year. And now there's a push to get them to delay them even longer. But why, oh why are we charging fire victims for property taxes when they cannot live on their property?
Speaker 1: Because that's what we do.
Speaker 3: From more on this here is CBSLA. That's their fire theme music.
Speaker 13: For thousands of homeowners still reeling from devastating wild buyers.
Speaker 5: The recovery isn't just emotional.
Speaker 13: Financial, Yes, property owners and burn zones are facing a new kind of burden, a tax bill. Those bills, those bills do tonight or residents' risk penalties unless yeah.
Speaker 3: So last night was when all property taxes were due at the end of April, including for people whose homes are burned down so that I got to pay taxes on their empty lot.
Speaker 2: And this is not an administrative oversight. They're doing this on purpose.
Speaker 14: Unless they take action. And cbsla's Jasmin Vial is live and Alta Dana with how these fire survivors can still get some tax relief Jasmine.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and much needed pat as we all well know. Right, So basically it's now in these individual property owners to seek out that tax relief and take action, like you said, if they don't, I mean, it is the depth.
Speaker 3: It's we're not talking about that many people here. You're talking about you know, ten total between the Palisades and Altadena, Like how hard would it be to all right, we're waving those fees. We're waving the property taxes obviously because you're still trying to rebuild your home.
Speaker 2: Well, and especially when you know that you've failed them time and time again. I mean, think about it. The government has fallen down on getting those permits issued quickly. The government has fallen down on holding the insurance company's feet to the fire, so they are obligated to fulfill the contractual obligations related to the policies. And then I mean you can go down the list of every other complaint that the fire victims have that the government has not performed at an acceptable level on and instead of cutting them a brake for all of the trauma that they've been through. The government is there and they want their shekels.
Speaker 15: That tax relief and take action, like you said, if they don't, I mean, it is the deadline for these fire survivors to pay up in terms of these property taxes. I mean, look behind me, even though we see some progress, I mean you just see these empty lots still right, many homeowners.
Speaker 3: A year and a half later, and not a whole lot has changed.
Speaker 2: No. No, these people are living a nightmare that's never ending. I don't know what you do. If you are a homeowner who's home burned down in the fire and you want to move back, and we're now two years after the fires and you're no closer to moving in than you were the day after the fires hit, I'm telling you, I know it's not the answer that people want to hear. I would cut bait and move on. I would move to Orange County. I would move to a different part of Los Angeles County. I would find some other place to live. Because this process is not going to get easier. You're going to be dealing with the same bureaucrats forever.
Speaker 15: Facing mortgage payments on top of rent payments as they try to rebuild. So this seemed like another blow.
Speaker 3: Remember how they issued for barons on the mortgages for one year because oh, you'll be back in your homes in a year.
Speaker 2: Nope, no, but everything was based on one year being the length of time that it would take to get back. In the insurance policies, many of them only provided temporary housing for a year because in other parts of the country it's possible to rebuild in that length of time.
Speaker 16: Come on in Welcome to the Dirt Farm.
Speaker 15: Altadena resident Seanna Dawson Beer holds her property tax bills. She just paid on her burned out lot Thursday.
Speaker 16: I still paid Jashia four grand.
Speaker 15: Like many, she had her property reassessed after the fire, but still has to pay thousands and taxes for the land.
Speaker 4: It felt like.
Speaker 3: So they reassessed the properties because there's no home on them anymore, but instead of waiving the fees, they're still going to charge them for burned out lots and it's.
Speaker 2: Not even safe to be there for a long time. You couldn't drink water, You had different specialists come in to take the charred remains. You had the electric vehicles that burn. Those batteries when they burn, that's a pollution that can make you sick. So they can't even sit on their empty lot for a period of time, and you're still going to charge them.
Speaker 16: Oh, it felt like my property tax barely went down. Because it did, it only went down twenty percent.
Speaker 3: Governor, Okay, what does that say if when the state decides we're going to reassess your property taxes because you just lost your home in the fire, and we've decided that now that your home is just a dirt lot, the property taxes only go down by a fifth.
Speaker 1: It's really wild to think about.
Speaker 15: Governor Gavin Newsom's executive order had deferred taxes for people in the fire zones for one year, which meant for many two years worth of taxes came do Thursday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people who are still recovering now have a double property tax bill to pay because they're expected to pay twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how Gavin expects them to be able to pay it, because when you think about it, they have to live somewhere, and if the insurance companies all cut them off after a year, that means they have another mortgage someplace else, or they have rent, or they're living on someone's couch, whatever situation it is that they found for themselves. They're paying something somewhere else. So now their costs are increase from where they were when they had their house, and you still want them to pay for the taxes on the house that no longer exists in addition to all this other stuff.
Speaker 15: But a hail Mary from the La County Treasurer and tax collector after community advocates say they fought for extra time.
Speaker 5: For the last six weeks, we at the Every Fire Survivors Network have been being Governor Newsom to please amend his executive order.
Speaker 3: This is why you need to have a governor that pays attention. Gavin so out to lunch, I don't even know if this is on his radar.
Speaker 2: No, if there was a governor who was fully engaged in California politics and government, this is something that would be front and center and these are people who would get a fair hearing. But because he's running for president, and he's going on all the podcasts and he's trolling Donald Trump on Twitter. He probably isn't even aware of any of this.
Speaker 5: So that there can be further deferral of property taxes.
Speaker 15: Joy Chen with the Every Fire Survivor's Network says they worked with elected officials to get a four year property tax deferment for Eaton and Palisades fire survivors.
Speaker 5: You just have a lot of fire survivors who are in financial hardship, and now is not the time for a balloon payment.
Speaker 15: The County Collector's office says, fire survivors can submit a penalty cancelation request starting Friday that will extend the payment windows.
Speaker 3: So instead of the county doing this on their own, they need you to file some paperwork to ask for an extension again, not to get your property taxes forgiven, but to have them deferred for another three years, so you have to pay four years worth in twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: Well, it's stupid that we're even playing this game.
Speaker 2: All of these property taxes should be forgiven until these people are made.
Speaker 15: Whole penalty cancelation request starting Friday that will extend the payment window to twenty thirty.
Speaker 16: We don't even have a community.
Speaker 15: But Dawson Beer, who has been advocating for her community since they eaten fire with a group called Beautiful Altadena, says they shouldn't be pain at all.
Speaker 3: You're damn right.
Speaker 1: The woman speaks the truth.
Speaker 16: Why are we not suspending, not deferring, suspending property tax until people have a certificate of occupancy.
Speaker 15: The county's treasure and tax collector says it does not have the authority to cancel property taxes. Statement the TTC see.
Speaker 2: Then go to someone in the legislature. It's a one party state. The treasurer tax collector is a Democrat. La County has more members in the Assembly and the Senate than any other county in the state of California. Go to one of your members and ask them to offer legislation.
Speaker 15: In a statement, the TTC said no bills in the fire impacted zip codes are delinquent and tel may first. According to an April ninth, twenty twenty six report, there were more than thirty four thousand parcels and fire impacted zip codes as listed in the Governor's executive Order, for which taxes had not yet been paid. The county Assessor's office says more than eighty percent of the fire impacted properties had been reassessed, lowering those property tax bills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but not by much.
Speaker 2: It's just it's literally comical, comical that this is even being discussed, That this isn't something that someone in the legislature or Gavin Newsome could take one look at and say no, no, no, no, no, we're not doing.
Speaker 3: This well and it's an election year. How what a political win. We worked to forgive the property taxes for the fire victims, but no, these people continue to get victimized by the state and local government every single day.
Speaker 2: Well, this is what happens when you have an absentee landlord who's totally checked out.
Speaker 16: How can someone who can't afford to make that payment now make a balloon payment in four years? They can't, which means it's just another setup for foreclosure and for people to be forced out of this community.
Speaker 3: And is that the point here? I'd hate to think about this. You either have completely incompetent government, which we see every single day, or the idea is they want these people to sell their land. They wanted to get bought up by developers. They don't want Altadena to come back the same way it was. They want to turn it all into apartments.
Speaker 2: Well, the conspiratorial part of me believes that entirely.
Speaker 15: So again, county officials, though encouraging residents fire survivors to take action to seek out that relief, and you can find that penalty cancelation form that request on our website. We have all the information there at CBSLA dot com slash scene on Hi.
Speaker 3: You're a fire victim, you still want to have a house, and we're gonna need you to fill out this form. Well, how do I print it out? I don't have a house. There's the latest insult to injury that's going on with the fire victims in Altadena where if you can't afford your property tax bill on your non existent home, well you can get it deferred for another three years and then have to pay a massive payment. In twenty thirty, eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two.
Speaker 2: Two coming up after the news in one it's the fixed California Hour, and we're going to check in with one of the candidate who's running to replace Nancy Pelosi as the member of Congress representing San Francisco. But first, Hugo Soto Martinez, who is a member of the Los Angeles City Council part of the remedial block, has decided that he wants to make it legal for illegal aliens to vote in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Clap that up.
Speaker 3: Hugo Soto Martinez wants non citizens to be able to vote in local elections. The same Hugo Soto Martinez that does not want to criminalize catalystic converters.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let's criminalize catalystic converters. Let's criminalize copper for more.
Speaker 17: Here's NBCLA meantime, Now to our other top story. Here at three local leaders pushing a proposal that would allow non citizens to vote in LA city elections. Good afternoon, everyone, thank you for joining us. I'm Annabel Sudano, Li mayor. Old candidates are now weigh in on that plan. Let's go to NBC fors comer Dickerson. She's live in downtown LA outside City Hall with the breakdown of this propose.
Speaker 18: Karma, Well, Annabel, and we do want to reiterate the conversation surrounds voting in local elections. It would not apply to federal elections.
Speaker 3: In it because that's illegal.
Speaker 1: And if it's illegal for federal elections, why would you ask would they assume it's legal and local electionstions?
Speaker 18: And it still has a long way to go. Nevertheless, even though it was just introduced yesterday, it is already getting a lot of attention. People have many questions. So here's what you need to know. Currently, the city charter requires people voting in city elections to meet the voter eligibility requirements of the state of California, which is to be a US citizen. However, council member who goes Ober Martinez, whose district includes Hollywood, Silver Lake, and Echo Park, introduce a motion to change the charter. The motion calls for amending the charter to allow the city Council to expand voting to non citizens for local elections like mayor and city council.
Speaker 3: How would that even work, Like, could you just come here for the week can vote in LA's elections.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, let's just think about this for a second. The census is what we use to determine how we draw congressional districts, how we draw state legislative districts, how we draw city council districts.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, Okay, So it's.
Speaker 2: Federal information that's coming that we use to draw up these lines. If we draw up the lines based on that federal information, and let's say the Feds, because Donald Trump is trying to make it so that we do not count illegal aliens in the census. That is something that is part of his platform. Let's just say he were to be successful and that were to be enacted, then you're drawing these districts up, or you would be drawing these districts up in ways that are not equal in population, because some parts of town have more illegal aliens than others, you know, East LA, probably Korea Town, other portions of Los Angeles are going to have more people who are here illegally than other parts of LA, than bel Air or Pacific Palisades or fill in the blank. So you're going to draw up a bunch of districts, assuming the President at some point gets his way, that are not equal in terms of population.
Speaker 1: How is that allowed?
Speaker 18: He says it's too early to know if the proposal would include undocumented people as well as green card holders. He also says this proposal is about representation, but some opponents say voting is a right fundamentally reserved for Americans.
Speaker 8: I certainly recognize that we have folks living in this country, have been or twenty years if started a family. They pay their taxes, many of them are homeowners, but they don't have a say over the policies that affect their children and their families on any given day. The motion only asked to seek to explore whether we want to head in that direction.
Speaker 3: We're just going to study this issue. That's what they always say, Hugo.
Speaker 2: Well, why not let everyone in Guatemala vote in our elections because they all want to come here.
Speaker 8: I think the details of who's going to be involved, how we're going to do it, all that needs to get sussed out.
Speaker 3: Generally, it is an indictment of every resident of Hollywood and Echo Park and Silver Lake if they give this jackass another four years.
Speaker 2: It's unreal that he was allowed to get elected in the first place. You can get a mulligan on that one. He was an unknown entity. Then this guy is a known nut.
Speaker 19: Generally speaking, though, most people still have this concept that the franchise ought to be limited to people who are full fledged members of American society, and that certainly should not be extended to people who are in the country illegally.
Speaker 18: And this proposal is far from a done deal. It now goes to the City Council Rules Committee.
Speaker 3: This is the kind of stuff the City Council is going to waste their time on instead of, I don't know, cleaning up the damn streets.
Speaker 1: LA is always going to La