Speaker 1: Everything the mainstream media left out, delivered just right.
Speaker 2: It's the John Phillip Show.
Speaker 1: And we continue at two o five in the afternoon on The John Phillip Show, Mister Randy Weggs and Culver City John.
Speaker 3: We're broadcasting live on the radio on seven ninety KABC and a ten KSFO, and we're also broadcasting live on video every single day from noon to three. Johnny, don't like dot com? That's Johnny, don't like dot com. It takes you right to the YouTube channel. While you here, stick around for a while, we're a lot of fun. Hit the like button, hit subscribe, and the bell. You'll be notified as to when we have all kinds of stuff going on whenever we upload new content. You can watch the Accountability Podcast after we sign off at three if you haven't seen it yet, and we highly recommend you watch all of our on demand content on the channel after we sign off at three and leave comm comments are like gold to YouTube. It tells the algorithm that we're really special and they should push us out to even more peoples, and then the message grows and uh, I don't know. At some point we make money off of this, but right now it's just for you know vibes.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. Well, there is a battle going on right now in San Francisco that I am loving. It reminds me of what you'd see on some of those trashy reality shows on Bravo.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, which you have consumed many of.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, I'm a big fan of those programs. In fact, when we did the Morning Show, I would come home from work tired and wanting a nab, but Bravo would have a marathon going on of Below Deck or one of the others, and I would just get sucked right in and I'd spend my day watching it. But what's going on right now in San Francisco is that longtime Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi has decided to call it quits. After being elected as the congresswoman from San Francisco following the death of Salim Burton, and then working your way up through the food chain to become Speaker of the House, and then sticking around after the Republicans took the majority and she was no longer Speaker of the House, in fact, she was no longer in leadership at all. She was just a rank and file Democrat who I guess they would go to as an older sage for advice when they needed it. But Nancy Pelosi has been in the Congress for decades and is now leaving. And one of the things that politicians like to do is they like to pick their success. You don't like to have some random person take over your seat after you leave, because you spent all of this time with your staff, with your constituents, with the businesses and unions and different entities in your district that rely on you to deliver for them. So you want to make sure that everyone's in good hands. And what happened with Nancy Pelosi was she stuck around so long that people stopped being polite who were waiting in line to take over for her. And one of them who stopped being polite was Scott Wiener. Scott Wiener was the state senator from San Francisco who developed, let's say, a national profile, mostly through negative attention on Fox News and other conservative outlets, but he did develop a national profile file and because there's so many Democratic politicians in San Francisco, he was worried that if he didn't act first, that someone else would be able to outorganize him and eat his lunch and then win the election to replace Nancy Pelosi. So he decided, no one's going to get ahead of me. I'm going to start before everyone else, and I don't care if it upsets her. So what he decided to do was start raising money, opening up campaign accounts, and announcing that he was going to run for Congress before she announced that she was retiring. So, from her point of view, he crossed her. He was embarrassing her. He was not treating her with the respect that she deserves, frankly, and because of that, she now has it in for him. At one point in time, her daughter wanted to replace her, and he started so early, and he started building up such a war chest, and he started collecting so many endorsements that the daughter wouldn't be able to beat him. So not only did he upstage Nancy Pelosi by announcing that he was running before she said she was calling it quits, he made it so that her daughter, who's now running for state Senate, couldn't replace her. So that pissed her off squared So she needed a candidate to run against him, So she picked Connie Chan off the Board of Supervisors, who was decidedly not ready for prime time. So what you now have is you now have a race between Wiener and Chan. And because Chan is remedial, Nancy Pelosi has to do all the heavy lifting. She had to put together the staff for her, she has to put together the fundraisers for her, She has to make sure that she's taking the right positions on the right issues. She is the warm body Connie Chan, but it's Pelosi and her team that's calling the shots. Well, everyone in San Francisco is aware of this, including Scott Wiener, so he put together some AI chatbot to make fun of her because she doesn't have anything original in her own head, it's all Nancy Pelosi's words coming out of her mouth. Well, Nancy Pelosi didn't like that AI chatbot, so she said that that chatbot is sexist and it's making fun of Connie for being Chinese. Now what her being Chinese has to do with the chat bot, I don't know. But if she's called Scott Wiener sexist and racist, that's what you know. The temperatures getting high in that race.
Speaker 3: We love everybody for more on the now aborted Connie Chan AI chat bot scheme. In the race to replace Pelosi, here is kron four.
Speaker 4: Controversy continues tonight in the race to replace Nancy Pelosi in California's eleventh district. This after State Senator Scott Wiener launched an AI chatbot of his opponent San Francisco Supervisor Connie Chan and that tops the news at ten. Welcome everyone, I'm Katherine Heenan.
Speaker 3: So now even the political billboards are nothing but advertising AI.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Katherine Heenan no relation to Bobby the Breen.
Speaker 4: Senator Wiener has since taken the bot down. He's apologized, but Supervisor Chance says too little, too late. Crown Force Lindsay Ford has the story.
Speaker 3: Washington, just say what you really want to say? F you Wiener?
Speaker 5: Did you ready for us?
Speaker 1: Oh? Boy? Remember that interview we played that she gave. That was just crash and burn.
Speaker 3: She's a special one.
Speaker 6: A political fight over artificial intelligence is now playing a major role in the race to replace Nancy Pelosi in Congress. State Senator Scott Wiener is removing an AI chatbot.
Speaker 3: That see this is the problem all the people that were messaging the AI chatbot didn't want to ask her about blocking housing in her district. They wanted to ask about her race and her accent. So I guess that's I don't know, and so this is a strange story.
Speaker 1: What's weird here is they're very different on subjects at the local level, particularly on the subject of housing. But should either one of them get elected to Congress, they're going to have virtually the entire an identical voting record because they're going to be voting on subjects like abortion and budgets and whether or not we go to war, all of those things. And I don't see any daylight between the two of them.
Speaker 6: Targeted his opponent, San Francisco's Supervisor, Connie Chan, but on Saturday in San Francisco's Mission District at Supervisor Chans campaign, Chan says the damage has already been done.
Speaker 7: Not just how I reacted personally or our campaign team, is how people reacted in San Francisco should actually give us a lot of hope about San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Okay, someone wowed way too loud for a Connie Chan rally at her little office in the Mission.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw it, but Pelosi's daughter was one of the people who was sitting in there.
Speaker 3: Oh really.
Speaker 6: State Senator Scott Wiener's campaign created the website Connie Chan dot Ai, a parody chatbot designed to criticize San Francisco Supervisor Connie Chan's record on housing, public transit, and other issues in a joint.
Speaker 3: Someone just had to be creative, didn't they.
Speaker 6: Statement attributed to Nancy Pelosi.
Speaker 3: Although it is very San Francisco. If you drive around Los Angeles, all you will see is billboards for PI Lawyers in English and Spanish. If you driver walk around the city of San Francisco, every billboard is for some other AI company you've never heard of. So Scott Wiener wanted to add it to the mix with Connie Chan dot Ai.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised that Nancy Pelosi knows what AI is, because remember, I think we played an interview of Jim Clyburn where the subject of chat GPT came up and he had no clue what they were talking about.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she knows, but the daughter probably gave her a primer.
Speaker 6: He several members of Congress, San Francisco supervisors, and local Democratic clubs. The group said women have spent generations fighting to have our voices heard in the halls of power. We should not have to now fight against artificial intelligence putting words in our mouths.
Speaker 3: I am confused about how creating the chatbot is sexist and racist.
Speaker 1: I don't know, But to me, this is like Iran going and going to war with Iraq. I'm just rooting for casualties.
Speaker 8: We believe a woman, a woman of colors, boy matter.
Speaker 3: And we believe that they're so inspired.
Speaker 7: Communities from Chinatown, from the most marginalized, can be leaders of our city.
Speaker 6: Saturday morning, a Crown for producer got this video of a billboard in the Richmond neighbor.
Speaker 1: Wha, whoa, whoa, whoa. Do you see what it said on that billboard?
Speaker 3: Yes, let me let me freeze frame it on the billboard for a second.
Speaker 7: Can be leaders of our city.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the billboard in question, Let's do nothing together. Connie Chan dot ai got vandalized and it says Scott Wiener is a white devil. Connie Chan for Congress, but white is misspelled, and Congress is misspelled. White is spelled w i te and Congress is spelled c n g RSS. How did they spell Wiener correctly, but not white. It's a very good question. This is why you gotta watch the video. If you can't watch it live right now, it's on demand at Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 6: Saturday morning, a Kronfor producer got this video of a billboard in the Richmond neighborhood advertising the chatbotten I.
Speaker 3: Am here for Scott Wiener being called a white devil. The ab La Blanco.
Speaker 6: Tine was also vandalized with a message reading, quote Scott Wiener is a white devil. Oh boy, Connie chan for Congress end quote. Kronford did reach out to Senator Scott Wiener's campaign on Saturday, but did not hear back in time for our deadline.
Speaker 1: Well wait a minute, what is the white have that going on that's so important where he couldn't return the call.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's authoring new legislation that will make it even harder to criminally charge somebody for knowingly giving them AIDS, which is a thing he actually did.
Speaker 6: Friday, Wiener said he had apologized to those who were offended by the AI chatbot and that his campaign was taking down the website.
Speaker 3: Okay, so who got fired over this one?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it sounds like it wasn't a fun weekend over at the Diablos Place.
Speaker 6: Statement from Senator Wiener Reid's I heard from many people who loved the idea, and I appreciate their support, but many others were offended, and I apologize for causing that offense.
Speaker 8: He made the right decision to take the site down, but what happened there is that it should not re raise what actually happened that the first place that he actually put it up, it was offensive, sexist and racist, and.
Speaker 3: It I'm still not sure how, but Okay, she is an awful candidate, and I hate saying that because I do not want him to win, but this woman is remedial from top to bottom. Yeah, I mean, but thinking of this, if Pelosi doesn't step in and endorse Connie Chan, it would have been Scott Weener versus the DSA guy. I'm gonna screw up his name, Sykart Chakwabody.
Speaker 1: I'm not even gonna try.
Speaker 3: I didn't think you would.
Speaker 8: It was a poor judgment and poor character and unbecoming of a congressional.
Speaker 6: Candidate reporting in San Francis.
Speaker 1: That's the Dons right there.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 9: For me.
Speaker 3: So there you go. The controversy over the Connie chan dot AI chat bot that apparently was very racist and sexist that somebody decided to vandalize the billboard calling Scott Wainer a white devil.
Speaker 1: Well, up until now they've been going after him for being Jewish. Oh my, remember that they chased him down at the transgendered parade.
Speaker 3: So far, the general election campaign hasn't been going very well for Wiener.
Speaker 1: How is it racist to have an AI chat bot that says no to everything as Connie Chan, But it's not racist to vandalize a billboard saying Scott Wiener is a white devil. Connie Chan for Congress.
Speaker 3: My guess is, if you really wanted to like understand why someone would say it's racist, it's if you ask the chatbot a racist question, how does it respond? But again, I don't understand. This is a We're entering a weird new territory in political mudslinging.
Speaker 1: I wonder why she's not going after him for decriminalizing given someone aids.
Speaker 3: Knowingly, maybe she supports that position.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: He also is the godfather of decriminalizing prostitution in the state of California, which is why you have street walkers on capstreet Boy.
Speaker 1: He's just full of great ideas, isn't he?
Speaker 3: And he wants to go to Congress.
Speaker 1: It's the John Phillips Show. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't Like show at g meil dot com. That's Johnny don't Like Show at g meal dot com and Randy. If you were to watch us perform the show live, you can do so at Johnny don't like dot com.
Speaker 3: That's the website. It takes you right to the YouTube channel where we're having a blast doing this live on video every single day. Johnny with a why Johnny don't like dot Com takes you right to the YouTube channel. While you're there, hit the subscribe button. It's completely free. It just you know, gets all of our content to show up on your homepage. You can also hit the like button. Tell YouTube that this show is very popular, play around in the chat room, and after we sign off at three, there is so much content of segments. You may have missed some of our best segments. You may want to watch again all six episodes of the Accountability Podcast, and we highly encourage you because I know what else there is to listen to, and it's not as good as what we do. To watch all of our on demand content, hit those like buttons and leave comments. You want to blast away on Gavin or Bakaria, you can do so, and it not only will make you feel good, it will help YouTube push our content out to even more people. So if you haven't seen our Accountability Podcast yet with Steve Hilton, it's the best one we've done so far, give it a watch, give it a comment, hit the like button. We appreciate it. That's what you get for free content that we give you every single day from noon to three, plus the Accountability Podcast.
Speaker 1: And tomorrow morning we're gonna tape this week's edition of the Accountability Podcast and it's going to be an interview with Susan Crabtree.
Speaker 3: That should be very exciting. She knows more than most about all the inner workings of one Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 1: And that's going to drop at midnight.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, we don't do midnight anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh we don't.
Speaker 3: What we have realized is it is much more effective to drop it at three o'clock on Wednesday, right after we sign off the air that's how you get right in there with them algorithms.
Speaker 1: All right, if you haven't clicked the like button, please do that right now. It's the big thumbs up. If you want to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny dootlike dot com and make sure to click that thumbs up button. All right, it's time to reopen the California crime Blaughder.
Speaker 5: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 1: This whoa, whoa, what's help here? Dun dun dunk dunn dundun dun.
Speaker 5: Beats the Califonia crime blodder.
Speaker 1: With John and Randy. This edition takes us to Imperial Beach.
Speaker 3: But it's not a story about the Tijuana River.
Speaker 2: Who can small right here?
Speaker 3: That being said, we are getting dangerously close to having to fulfill a promise that we made. Our YouTube channel at Johnny don't like dot com is at four three hundred and seventeen subscribers, and when we get to five thousand, we have to go do a show from the Tijuana River.
Speaker 1: That sounds lovely.
Speaker 3: You would like to make sure we do that. Tell your friends about this show anyway. A restaurant got burglarized in Imperial Beach. For more, here is Fox five is in thief.
Speaker 10: Caught on camera breaking into a South Bay restaurant. This happened at Las Rica's Tortas number two, and now the victim is hoping others.
Speaker 1: Whosh, whoa whoa Las Breese's Tortoise number two. Yes, I wonder if that's any relation to Yum Yum number two.
Speaker 3: I knew exactly where you were gone with that the second I heard it.
Speaker 10: All business owners will take extra precautions. Tony Shen is live in Imperial Beach and Tony the thief caused a lot of damage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, Christina, we're not talking about hundreds of dollars in damage. We are talking about thousands of dollars in damage. And as you're about to see, the burglar got in and out within just seconds.
Speaker 1: Eddy A.
Speaker 5: Giddy and his wife Isabelle have owned Los Rica's Tortas number two for just over a year.
Speaker 11: It's actually my wife's dream of owning a small, littld mom and pop shop.
Speaker 5: Like most new businesses, it can be a financial struggle just to make ends.
Speaker 2: Meet, especially nowadays. It's just very very tough.
Speaker 11: You know, everything's so expensive, and then we have to be here one hundred and ten percent over time.
Speaker 3: There's the sound.
Speaker 1: Apparently someone was hungry.
Speaker 5: And around three o'clock Wednesday morning, things got really tough. That's when a burglar smashed the front door with a crowbar. The suspect headed directly to the cash register and yanked it from the front counter.
Speaker 3: That's not very nice, No it's not.
Speaker 1: And I bet you there was nothing in there, but they left thousands and thousands of dollars in damage.
Speaker 5: Before calmly walking away with it all. Within about thirty seconds, Andy got an alert on his phone which woke came up. He couldn't believe his eyes.
Speaker 2: And I'm just looking at it like and shot, Like am I dreaming? Or you know? This is a nice what's going on? And just watching our dreams just get shattered?
Speaker 5: Andy says he felt helpless. All he could do was call the Sheriff's office. Deputies arrived with guns drawn and a canine ready to react.
Speaker 3: Many hours later, it was three in the morning, and now it is very obviously daylight.
Speaker 1: What are they gonna do? Shoot the coke machine?
Speaker 5: They searched the shot, but the burglar was already gone.
Speaker 3: You know, if we want to really silence the Francis Gills who want to defund and get rid of police in prisons, what have you. Our current system of policing needs to be a little more effective at their jobs.
Speaker 5: And all that was left was thousands of dollars in damage.
Speaker 2: It was fifteen dollars just the glass, and they install for the door for the.
Speaker 5: Door at another four thousand dollars for the cash register and damage to the point of sale system.
Speaker 3: Four thousand dollars. Holy cow.
Speaker 1: And they haven't said if there was anything in that cash register, but my guess is no.
Speaker 3: This is why so many restaurants, even though people don't want them to go to, we only accept credit cards. Having a cash or even the ability to take cash is a liability. Also, if you're just doing it with credit cards, that point of sale system costs you way less because you just need an iPad.
Speaker 1: And frequently what they'll do is they'll just open up the cash register with the money all gone, so you can see that there's nothing in there.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the famous barbecue joint in Oakland that got burglarized and someone went to steal the cash register. And they don't keep any money in the cash register, but they do put a job application in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think they found that funny though.
Speaker 5: Plus a three hundred dollars in cash.
Speaker 3: It has completely changed your life.
Speaker 2: Heartbroken.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for now, this is what they're using as a cash register.
Speaker 3: That's so sad.
Speaker 1: Oh God, they're going to get hit again.
Speaker 5: Until they can get a new one. Andy says he and his wife aren't letting this crime stop them from working hard to keep this business afloat.
Speaker 3: I mean, those tortas do look excellente.
Speaker 1: It is making me hungry.
Speaker 5: He has this message for the heartless thief.
Speaker 11: Hopefully they think about it next time, because they did shattered, especially my wife's dream.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: Andy believes that the burglar may have actually come into his business prior to the burglary, posing as a customer to check things out.
Speaker 3: He was casing the joint while eating at Tarta apparently.
Speaker 5: So if you have any information about this case, call crime stoppers. We're putting live in Imperial Beach. I'm Tony's chen. Christina will send them back.
Speaker 10: To you, all right, Tony, thank you so much for that report.
Speaker 3: So there you go. A restaurant burglary an Imperial Beach, shattered the glass, stole the cash register. Did they actually get anything, No, but they caused so much damage.
Speaker 1: And wrecked this couple's life, at least for the time being.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that three plus hours later the Sheriff's department comes with the canine guns drawn, like, come on, why even show up.
Speaker 1: We've got this covered. We're here. So that's what's going on. In Imperial Beach in Los Angeles County in southern California, there have been Verizon outages all over the place because of.
Speaker 3: Vandalism, because people think that they're stealing copper wire and it's just fiber optic cable that is not worth what copper's worth. But it knocked out cell service for the entire valley. If you're on Verizon. For more, here's a report from KTLA five.
Speaker 6: Rising customers across a large swath of southern California outraged over service outages today.
Speaker 7: The cause vandals.
Speaker 12: Yeah, The company says that somebody cut several fiber lines and that damage impacted wireless and internet service.
Speaker 3: You know, I currently have AT and T installing fiber in my neighborhood, and this is one of the reasons I have decided to stick with Starlink because I know that just because they're putting fiber in the ground doesn't mean that the Internet will work when some jackass goes to cut the cable.
Speaker 1: Well, this is so unbelievably disruptive for so many people because post COVID, I would imagine more people work from home now than ever before. I would imagine that a lot of students are now taking classes entirely online, more so than ever before. And if the Internet goes out in these neighborhoods, suddenly you have people who can't work, they can't go to school, they can't fulfill any of their obligations.
Speaker 11: This is.
Speaker 12: Unbelievably disruptive throughout the San Fernando Valley and beyond. Lindsay Penya joining us live in Studio City tonight. She's got more on that, Lindsay.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Hi there, Rick and Karen. So last update from Verizon is that repairs are underway and they hope to have service completely restored within the next couple of hours. Meanwhile, this outage is just one of many we've seen recently connected to vandalism, soos it's what Verizon customers all over parts of Los Angeles and southern California started seeing on their phone Sunday morning, all.
Speaker 9: Of a sudden, I couldn't call out, Nobody could call me.
Speaker 14: Kind of feels like you're naked.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's a new spin.
Speaker 3: It kind of feels like you're naked.
Speaker 14: Okay, We've gotten so used to phones being a part of our life, so it just kind of felt like you walk up the house, love hants on or something.
Speaker 1: All Right, I don't want to cast any aspersions on him, but can you imagine what's in his search history?
Speaker 3: In case anyone ever wonders why I choose the KTLI rap or the Fox eleven rap because every station did this story yesterday, Why would I choose this one? It was for that guy and that very strange comment about how not having cell service is like dropping your pants.
Speaker 1: I believe it.
Speaker 13: Company alerting customers on its app and social media.
Speaker 3: Wait, they can't read the social media, the internets.
Speaker 1: You want to communicate with them, you better send a carrier.
Speaker 13: Pigeon that the outage was due to multiple fiber cuts, and confirming to KTLA that those cuts were related to vandalism.
Speaker 3: And when they say vandalism, they mean people stealing copper wire. And the thing is people might steal fiber optic cable thinking that it's copper wire. Regardless, this is so unbelievably destructive, and LA seems to have zero answer for what to do about it, because we don't want to go after the people stealing it, and we don't want to go after the junkers and the smelters that are buying it.
Speaker 1: And let's be honest, it's a bunch of crackheads who are looking to make money for drugs.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's that. Sometimes at this point, it's very organized as to what's going on.
Speaker 13: A statement reading in part quote. These are not simple property crimes. They are dangerous disruptions that vital lifelines for our first responders and public safety officials who rely on constant connectivity.
Speaker 14: I'm not surprised because I guess there's been a nationwide theft of fiber optics cables and just copper cables in general, so makes sense.
Speaker 3: They were just trying to see if they get them to say naked one more time.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised he didn't.
Speaker 13: Just a few days ago, Spectrum reported some of its fiber lines in Los Angeles were intentionally cut.
Speaker 3: Okay, now I really made the right decision in shutting off Spectrum, which I kept having reliability issues, and that's why now I'm on starlink. And I don't know if that happened to do with cables getting cut or just Spectrum being Spectrum, but I got to have my internet work.
Speaker 13: In criminal attack causing an outage for customers in several parts of the city.
Speaker 3: Co oh gosh. And then especially if you don't know what's going on and you're just doing that blank stare that we've all had to do at the modem after you've unplugged it and plugged it back in for the fifteen time and waiting for all the lights to turn on, and then they don't, and all of a sudden, you've wasted half of your Sunday and you don't know what to do with yourself.
Speaker 13: Company saying these types of attacks are on the rise. Quote the broader telecommunications industry experience fifteen five hundred and forty attacks between June twenty twenty four and June twenty twenty five, affecting more than nine point five million customers across the country.
Speaker 3: That is, this is a bad number. This is why do we live like this? Other places don't have these problems. No, no, just here in the insane asylum.
Speaker 13: Spectrum says they filed a police report and are offering a reward for information leading to an arrest. They also point out that their fiber optic cable doesn't contain copper, a prime target for thieves when it comes to vandalism related outages. Customers say they're simply frustrated. This just really sucks because when you need it, you don't have it.
Speaker 3: You know, she's got a real throaty voice.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, at least she still has her cigarettes.
Speaker 13: Now again. Verizon says that it expects to have service restored within the next couple of hours. It's telling customers to go to its website.
Speaker 3: They can't go to the website.
Speaker 1: You think they're just trying to play a.
Speaker 13: Joke to check the status of service in their area. We're reporting live here in Studio City, Lindsay Benye knat tell a five News Rick kareem back to you.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you right now, unless we can figure out how to really knock this off, the damage to our infrastructure is getting so massive on a daily basis, where you're having so many of these things happening, and it is knocking out very expensive operations to put high speed internet throughout the entire state, let alone the country. If we can't figure out a way to knock this down, it's time to invest in SpaceX because everyone's going to get starlink.
Speaker 1: It's the John Phillips Show. If you'd like to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny donotlike dot com and click that like button. It's the big thumbs up. It really helps us out a lot. We're just shy of three hundred. Let's get it over three hundred before we sign off at three. All right, there are new e bike laws that are now in effect in San Diego.
Speaker 3: And this is as tough as you can get on e bike laws in a local municipality. You can ban them for kids under twelve. Great state law says you cannot go any further than that. So thanks Gavin for more. Here is CBS eight And the new.
Speaker 15: Law was passed by the city council in June. A city leaders wanting to give parents some times to get used to this new law to teach their kids about it.
Speaker 3: And if you bought your an eleven year old and e bike, you should be going to family services.
Speaker 15: The biggest change is that you're now going to have to be at least twelve years old to ride an e bike.
Speaker 3: Mind you, most of the little bastards out there are between twelve and seventeen causing all the destruction.
Speaker 5: It's no secret that e bike safety has become a growing concern in neighborhoods across our city, with young children doing wheelies on busy streets and it's demanded our action.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they call themselves the bumper boys, where they film themselves crashing into people.
Speaker 1: What is it that parents are doing that's so important where they're willing to buy their kids an e bike where they know their kid might kill themselves and someone else just to get them out of their hair.
Speaker 3: Rules, Well, if they don't do that, they might have to actually talk to them.
Speaker 15: It's for e bikes in San Diego will take effect Thursday. All e bike riders must be at least twelve years old. To run a Class three e bike, one of the faster ones, you have to be at least sixteen.
Speaker 3: Our goal is safety, and the question is who's actually going to enforce that?
Speaker 1: How would you like to be the cops? And you have people who live in the community who are going nuts over these things because they're getting run over right and left. And you don't know how old a kid is. I mean, some kids look like they're eighteen by the time they're fourteen, and some kids when I was eighteen, I still looked like I was twelve.
Speaker 3: You didn't have the facial hair. People would still think you're underage.
Speaker 11: Education and protecting our kids, it's not about writing tickets.
Speaker 3: The popularity of e bikes has continued to increase over the past few years, and we get it. They're fun, but yeah, so's cocaine. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Safety is more important than having fun.
Speaker 15: Passengers are not allowed on e bikes unless the bike has a permanent manufacturer installed second seat. Kids are also required to wear a helmet. Law comes at a.
Speaker 3: Time, and this is another thing that really needs to be more discussed because the injuries of these things are getting so gruesome. Children's hospitals have seen a massive spike in er visits because of this. The standard helmet that you buy for like a regular Shwin bicycle is not going to do a damn thing when you get into an accident. At thirty forty to fifty miles an hour, you need to mandate motorcycle helmets. Of course, most of these dumbasses aren't even riding regular helmets.
Speaker 15: And when Rady Children's Hospital says it sees a growing number of kids suffering serious traumatic injuries from e bike crashes.
Speaker 9: Last year, we had two hundred and sixty two e bike injuries elevated to the trauma level. There's many, many more that went to our emergency room. And then this year, up until May, we've already had ninety six.
Speaker 15: Flri lynn is an injury.
Speaker 1: It's growing, Yeah, because if you're going fifty miles an hour, you are more akin to a motorcycle than you are to an actual normal bike.
Speaker 15: Reprevention manager at Rady's, she says eighty seven percent of patients are boys, usually between the ages of nine and thirteen.
Speaker 5: She says speed is.
Speaker 15: A big issue.
Speaker 9: We see a lot of jaws being broken because they hit their faces, and then a lot of TBI is because they're not wearing the right helmet.
Speaker 5: She warns.
Speaker 15: Social media may also be feeled.
Speaker 3: See, we don't even need youth football anymore. All the kids are going to get brain dead just from this.
Speaker 1: Well, how many videos have they shown in this report of them on freeways or city streets, not in bike lanes.
Speaker 15: Yepling risky e bike behavior among kids.
Speaker 9: I do think there's a huge social media aspect to this. There you do it, you get lots of bikes, you get lots of attention, and that's what kids, that's what student young people crave. They crave that respect and attention.
Speaker 2: Right I should.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for us today. If you're watching us at Johnny don't like dot com, please click that like button if you haven't done so already. It really helps us out. That's it for us today, but we'll be back tomorrow at noon for another edition of The John Phillips Show.