Speaker 1: Let's go to the UMA guest line right now for for Andrew Baggerley Giants beat Rider from the Athletic Giants in fourth place, take on the Tigers tonight. Andy, thanks for the time, man, We appreciate you jumping in. Do we know who's going to start tonight or what the plan is for the Giants on the mound tonight?
Speaker 2: I do know what they're doing. In fact, I've forgotten you call this up here. I think I think they were going to use an opener for Adrian Hauser. I think that's what That's what the text was. Boy, I take one day off and I'm just completely out of it. Oh No, JAJ brew Baker is starting tonight. Brew Baker starting tonight. So I would assume the Hawser is going to be kind of the bulk guy. Remember back to the Gabe Capler days when we talk about guys in different buckets and you have your right right guys and whatever he called them. So I think that's kind of what we're doing. Adrian Howser is going to be your long guy bucket guy tonight, and JT. Brubaker is going to start, and you know, I mean they're gonna have to get a little bit clever and creative here with you know, trading away two fists of their rotation. And and Lannon up has already passed his innings high as well, and Logan Webb. I mean, you know, there's gonna be no reason to really push him. You know, he missed a little bit of time. He's not gonna be contending for the cy young probably, so a lot of pride and he wants to go out there and compete every day. But there are gonna be times when they're probably gonna be in his best interest to throttle him back too. So they're gonna have to get creative just when it comes to filling innings and and obviously they want to use it as an opportunity to do as much evaluating as they can figure out how everybody's gonna fit. But yeah, so they're gonna start with the opener tonight, and you probably make the case that they should have started doing that a while ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know you've been covering this team for a while. I want to ask you about Tony. You know, do you have a good vibe on Tony? Do you have a do you do you know Tony? Well, I mean, how would you compare your relationship that you have with Tony compared to like, maybe the relationship you had with Kapler. This is obviously not about innings one through nine. This is more about feel and vibe and how you personally feel about the guys that you cover. But where do you how do you evaluate Tony and what kind of relationship do you feel like you have with him right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a little bit difficult because you know, first of all, I think we make a lot about managerial performance, and there's no question, I mean, Bruce Bochi pushed all the right buttons in October. He also obviously had a lot of things go his way and the team's way, you know, to win those three World Series titles. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, you know, really really talented teams can make any manager look smart. And you know, I think one way that the Giants would probably need to redo the season is, you know, they didn't give him much of a bullpen, and nothing makes a manager look, you know, less smart than a bullpen that is just kind of a mess and you can never figure out, never rely on, and so you know, it's it's a little bit of an unfair evaluation just because you know, there are parts of the team that were just not up to snuff. And but you know, it's hard to know exactly who's doing all of the button pushing. It seems to me that Tony does a lot of delegating, you know, really lets his pitching coaches run the pitching. You know, he obviously writes off the lineup. There's a few things that I think you can criticize him. For one, he hasn't been a super clear communicator, which I think was supposed to be the thing that he was a strong suit in terms of relationship with us. He's not very personable and that's just his style and that's fine. But he's always accessible. He's always available. He doesn't always have all the answers, but he tries to answer the questions the best he can. I will say that, you know, I do think that they've left a lot of little advantages on the table. There have been a lot of learning experiences. And the part that really is a little bit difficult for me to wrap my head around is, you know, being five hundred wasn't good enough last year. It got Bob Melvin fired and he's a guy who was a three time Manager of the Year award winner. So what does that tell you their goals were this year? Their goal was to be a playoff team, So you hire a manager who you know it's going to be a steep learning curve. It just I still have a hard time understanding why they went in that direction when the goal was to win. Now, this isn't the Rockies, this isn't a super young team like the Nationals, And in a lot of ways, maybe down the stretch these last two months, the team will be a better match for you know what Tony's really good at, which is, you know, getting the most out of young players. And I do think that there was more development that had to start happening with young guys in the big leagues than what we were seeing. And ultimately, you know, Bryce Eldridge is having a really nice year as a twenty one year old in the big leagues and he's showing some great on base skills. I think that's a credit to him more than really a reflection on the coaching staff. But you know, it's an environment where a young player is getting better in the big leagues, and that's one of the reasons Tony's here, and at least in the case of Eldridge, that's what we're seeing. So this is all a big roundabout way of saying I think just get too much credit and too much blame when things go right a wrong.
Speaker 1: Anyway, No, I'm with you on that. The Giants are ten and twenty in one run games. It's the record in all of MLB. I mean, is that you've already kind of referenced the pen is a little bit, you know, it's been very inconsistent, as simple as that. Bags that, Hey, their pen's not been very consistent. Thus they lose a bunch of one run games. Is it the margins? They don't steal a lot of bases, they don't walk a lot, they do give up a lot of walks. I mean, is there anything that you can point to that you would say, you know what that is directly related to ten and twenty in one run games.
Speaker 2: Well, there have been a lot of games on the road, especially where they've gotten walked off. I mean, poor Dylan Smith has been walked off in four different ballparks this year. And I do think that there have been a lot of little decisions that you could fairly second guess, you know, especially both those double header losses in Philly, you can really pick those apart for a billion things that they didn't do, you know, uh, you know, deciding when to pitch to Kyle Schwarber, when not to pitch to Fernando Tattists Junior. I mean, it's it's tough, you know, you can you can second guess any move that doesn't work out. But yeah, there there have been a lot of little choices late in games when you know, maybe they've done something that that is very easy to second guess, and you know, again that's all part of the learning experience, and and that's that's sort of you sort of hope that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you talk to Buster Posey, you talked to Zach Manassian. They really have a lot of confidence in this, in this coaching staff. And I'm sure there are going to be stone changes on staff after the year. They usually are. But they think that Tony's going to figure this out and the things that he doesn't really grasp or he's not really good at now they think he's got the aptitude to to get better at those aspects of the job. Now that's their opinion. They may not be right, and if they're wrong, then you know that'll be born out over time, right. But but yeah, I do think that there's a lot of little things that could have gone differently to up some of those one run losses in the wins.
Speaker 1: Giants made a lot of trades at the trade deadline. I know, you've got, you know, sources and people that you talk to and people around the game that may know something more about some of these players that they got back in return. Do you have a trade that you like the most or one that you think was you like the least. I mean, give me a perspective on the on the trade deadline from what you're hearing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you have to like Marcella Meyer, even if it's a twenty five percent chance that he turns into the player that the Red Sox thought they had. You know, you're giving up Eric Miller, and he does have some control, but he also has had, you know, some health issues in his past, and like every pitcher does, but he's had a few more than most and he's still walking six per nine even though he's got you know, wipeout stuff. So you know, I think you make that trade every day of the week, and even if it's just like I said, a twenty five percent chance that he turns into the player that everyone thought he was going to be, and you know, and trading Elliot Romos, you know, maybe maybe Meyer becomes the second basement next year and then left field it becomes where you play Casey Schmidt. So you know, the pieces might actually might actually fit there with those two deals in concert. And I just like the fact that they got a lot of pitching in their system. I think they knew that Luisa Rise was probably their biggest piece to move in terms of what he could get as a rental player, and you know, they needed to go get someone who they could slot really at the top of their system or right under Jackson Flora. That the kid they just took in the draft, and and they think that that Marquez is that kind of pitcher. So yeah, you know, it's they felt they did really well in terms of restocking some arms, and between that and the draft, that's kind of what they really had to do.
Speaker 1: What is Mayer's status. I know he has got some form of a minor injury. Are we going to see him here in short order or what are you hearing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He reported to San Francisco a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if he's going to be at the ballpark today or be able to talk to us. I'm sure we would love to be able to to meet him and talk to him and get his thoughts about, you know, joining a new organization. The there's a lot of confidence that you know he's gonna play this year and and hopefully play you know, a decent number of games. He was just starting his swing progression, as I understand it, from the stress reaction that he has in his forearm. I guess he tried to play through and might might have led to some of his numbers being not so great this year. So getting him healthy is number one. And then getting him in a place where he can compete, uh and and and maybe start to play a few different positions. So what I'm hearing is he's a pretty good second baseman. He's really could be a very good third baseman, and shortstop is a place he can play. But maybe he's he's not an average shortstop, maybe a tick below, but you know, who knows he's He's only twenty three, so there's a lot of meat on the bone in terms of developments. So yeah, looking forward to meeting him and and and he's he's a California kid. He went to the same high school as Casey Schmidt down in chey Vista in San Diego. So maybe there'll be a little little Giants enclave of Giants fans in Padre's country.
Speaker 1: Now, Hey, one last one on Kruk Hanging it up. Thirty seven years in the broadcast, Booth an amazing career on the field, off the field. Do you have a perspective you can share? We had Boach on this morning and he talked about the chemistry of Kruk and Kuype and just the easy listening nature of their broadcast. But you've been listening for years as well? What stands out?
Speaker 2: Boy? How much time do you have? I mean, well, I mean, first of all, it's uh, it's yeah, it's you just never wanted to end.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like Dwayne Kuyper said yesterday when I called him. You know, the first thing that Dwayne said was, Hey, maybe I'm glad he's gone. Do you ever think of that? You know, I got the whole town in myself now. So but that's it, I mean, it's it stirs up so many emotions that you kind of have to disarm it with some humor, you know, so good on Duayne for that. But I just think of two guys who are just best friends and and you're you're in on the conversation, you know, and one's a former infielder, one's a former pitcher, and they got all the bases covered. They know the game so well in and out, and they know that to tell the story of the game, you know, you got to be focused on the game. But they also just never took themselves too seriously and uh and never like needed to show you how smart they were, how much they knew, even though they've forgotten more baseball than and I'll ever know. And and and yeah, just just being able to be part of their camaraderie and feel like you're kind of in on the conversation. You just don't get that, you know, there's nothing plastic about listening to them. It's it's it's all just uh, just really good this banter and and and just two guys have them fun at the ballpark and they love to do it. And it's just it sucks that, you know, his health challenges have gotten to the point where it's just really really logistically difficult for him to travel back and forth from Reno and and you understand that obviously, but you know, he certainly knows the game and as sharp as as ever, and you wish that they could just keep doing it forever. So I hope and they can't be on the Hall of Fame ballot this next time, because once every five years the committee looks at announcers who retired before the wild character, so before nineteen ninety five, but then the next four years after that, they'd obviously both of them would be eligible to be on the ballot. Both have been on the ballot multiple times, they've been on the ballot at the same time. So you know, here's what needs to happen. They need to go in together. This is obvious, and the Hall of Fame hasn't made any kind of exception even though they should. So the frick voters, the former winners, they're the ones who vote on this. So I would to get in front of that whole room. I can't, obviously, but if I could, I'd say, look, there's nothing that can prevent you from putting in a tide ballot and just vote for both of them. And say, tie, can't make up my mind. Got to vote for both of them and then put them both in and make the Hall put them both in at the same time, because they deserve to go in. They deserve to go in while you know they they're they're here, and we the rest of us deserve to hear those speeches because they're going to be some of the best Hall of Fame speeches ever given. So we got to make that happen.
Speaker 1: No question, no question about it. I know it hasn't happened before, but guess what, there's always a good time to set a new precedent, and this would be that time. Bags. We always love your always love your coverage. Man, keep it rolling. No, it's been a tough year on a lot of fronts, but uh, we enjoy your coverage. Thanks for jumping on KMBR.
Speaker 2: Yep, thank you, Larry,