Speaker 1: Welcome back to KNBR with Bill Laski. My guest played six years with the San Francisco Giants. In twenty twenty three, he became the manager of the Arizona Rookie League and this past January he was moved up to High A and he's the manager of the Eugene Emeralds. Let's bring in Jacob Hayward.
Speaker 2: Jacob, how are you. I'm doing good man? How about you?
Speaker 1: So I'm doing great? Thanks for joining me in. Congratulations the first half champs of the Northwest League. That was pretty exciting for you being up there for the first year, and your team was pretty elated.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was cool. It's been a great time so far, and he's happy to be a part of the team.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go back. You grew up in Georgia. You went to a high school called Eagle Landing Christian School. You had three thirty one nine home runs forty two RBIs your senior year, and you got drafted by the Atlanta Braves, but you did not sign. Tell me the reason why?
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, I think, honestly, I feel like it was a maturity thing and I'm not sure if I was really one hundred percent mentally prepared to go through the struggles of a professional season. And you know, I already commuted to the University of Miami and they had confidence in me, and I had confidence in myself to go there and prove proo I could start and play there, and it was a great university to go to, so I you know, at the time, I definitely felt more confident going to college.
Speaker 1: Well, Jacob really worked out for you. You ended up going to university in Miami. As you said, your junior year, you played at all sixty four games, you had a ten game multi hit games, and you also went to the College World Series where you hit over four hundred. Everything was maturing for you after school. Tell me about the play and how you learned how to play a little bit better and pretty much what happened in the World Series.
Speaker 2: You did very well. Yeah, I mean earlier in my career adit. You know, I was kind of more than a platoon role so I understood how to be a good teammate, had to be a role player early on in my career. And then I finally earned my starting spot towards the end of my sophomore year by playing well and come off the bench, and it's been being another part of the team, a really good team. And then obviously though my sophomore year in junior year, we end up going to the College World Series, and those experiences where something that I'll probably never forget for the rest of my life, you know what I mean. And it's just fun, man, you know, just competing to win, like I play to win, you know, I played to win the game. I think that's that's my mindset as a player and even as a coach, you know, and I think at the highest stage, that's that's the most you know, the most exciting part of the game, you know what I mean. And playing against the best competition, playing against the in front of a lot of fans, being being able to play on that some television at a young age, it's pretty cool and it's pretty awesome. It's just, you know, I think it's every kid's dream. So it's definitely fun. And I just love competing. So that's that's that's a big part of being in a College World Series is fun.
Speaker 1: Well, Jacob, that junior you're playing every game, a lot of things happen. You make adjustments in the outfield, you make adjustments on the bases. You were a base stealer and also hitting. What were some of the things that you learned in that level.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, just the talent. I think the talent was a lot better. Just facing the in the acc uh weekend week out, just being able to hit you know, good fastballs, seeing uh, pretty good sliders. Man, I was a pretty good fastball hitter, so I saw a bunch of sliders, so I had to learn kind of learn on the fly a little bit with that. And then being taught defense all three years of college by you know Tomorrow. He was our outfield coach at the time, and he really implemented, you know, defenses, how important defenses and you know, defense hels wins championships and stuff like that. So just learning that, being good outfitter, taking pride in and taking pride of my work, taking pride in the higher practice that that was a big probably development part of being in college. And then base running, you know, just base running, you know, always understanding that that can help you help win you ball games. Two and I had speed speed at the time, and uh, and I definitely try to take advantage of it as much as possible. And and my coachiness at Miami really instilled that confidence in me and told me to run and whenever I felt comfortable. So it was fun.
Speaker 1: Jacob Hayward, the manager of the eugen Emeralds, joining me on K and b are. You end up going and get drafted by the San Francisco Giants your junior year and you ended up signing eighteenth round a little late, but you still sign excited to jump into pro ball. Did you know much about the Giants organization?
Speaker 2: I knew, you know, I've heard from some people that the organization was rendally well, especially in the minor league side or the player development side, and then they treat the players were respect and you know, that's that's really what I wanted to do with the end of the day, is just being being a place where I could develop my skills and and you know, hopefully someday at some point, you know, become a big leader. And I know that the Giants always took pride in that. And you see it, you know, you see the homegrun talent from you know, the bus opposes to Brandon Craffers, Joe Panics, Brandon Belts, you know, you see those guys just the big leagues and you try to dream and say that you want that to do yourself, you know what I mean? So just understanding that, you know, this organization has really been strong with the player development and trusting that in and it gave me confidence to just jump right into Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: Well, Jacob, you ended up going to Arizona Fall League, you moved up to Salem Kaiser and then Augusta. I mean had a little bit was saying it was a giants those first couple of years. What did you learn? How did you adjusted new surroundings, new teammates, different leagues. How difficult was that and how did you maintain that kind of confidence that you had in college?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, honestly, man, it was fun. Like it was. It was so much fun because I didn't have to worry about it where I didn't have to worry about going to class every day, you know what I mean. Now that I didn't enjoy school, but just to be able to focus on one hundred percent baseball, and that's something that I knew. I loved what I love to do, and it just it built confidence in me just to be able to go out and do it every day and be able to train every day, you know what I mean, and getting the reps. Getting the reps, the reps is most important thing for any player, and in my opinion, so to be able to play every day and have good coaching and you know, different things like that really put me in a good spot, especially the lower those of the player. Development of the A balls and the short seasons and stuff like that, and having good coaches and having good teammates and dealing with you know, dealing with different cultures. I think, you know, Miami's Miami set me up to be, uh, to be comfortable and uncomfortable, you know what I mean, because it was a big it was a big adjustment going from from from Georgia, you know, uh southern state to Mimy. Miami's the South, but the ain't the South, you know what I mean. It's different cultures, it's international, dealing with different languages twenty four to seven and being being able to adjust to that was definitely having that was definitely an easy adjustment for me getting the pro ball, dealing with the Latin culture and dealing with players from different different states and different countries and stuff like that. So it was it wasn't difficult but it was fun. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It was it was a pleasure to see and you know, it's a fund for just learning about the cultures of different worlds, and the culture of baseball is from everybody, every you know, every color of skin, every type of different areas where people grew up at. And that's kind of what you just kind of said there, and it really made you blossom. And in twenty twenty, a very strange year, a COVID hits and you have to take the whole year off. What did you do in that time and how did you adjust? Thinking, Hey, I got to get back in baseball.
Speaker 2: Shit. Yeah, I mean honestly, we didn't stop, you know, because I worked out with my brother a lot during that time. You know, we just kept working out ten in a case, tried to find some baseball. But you know, a lot of things were set down because of COVID, but just tried to stay as active as possible on my own, which was I think it was a good thing for myself, you know, because I learned more about myself as a human being. I think I think everybody did at that time, you know what I mean. So, but it was obviously it could be tough, tough to just missing that playing time, but at the same time, it was I think it was a good a good reset to be able to look at and have a good perspective on life. So it was it was definitely a good time. And you know, we just continue to work out most of that time. So I didn't stop baseball. Baseball never stops from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that voice you here on kmb R, Jacob Hayward. Let's just talk about your relationship with your brother. Of course, Jason a major leaguer for many years, a superstar and All Star. Uh, the relationship with you and him, how would that start and how did that grow into being a professional player.
Speaker 2: I mean it started, you know, my whole life. You know, he's been a big brother to me, and he has always been a leader in my family. And you know, it's uh, it's been a blessing. I'm blessing to have him as a brother, you know what i mean. Just take care of me, take care of family. I'm always looking out if you know, he's got if I've gotten questions, He's always there for me. And then just having a good friendship that we have now is is really important, you know, what I mean, he's bound some ideas off each other and not he's about baseball. It's about life, man, And you know, it's it's really been. Uh it's been. It's been great to have him by my side and and me by his side. So it's been it's been phenomenal. And you know, he's he's built a good career for himself. And I'm proud of him and everything that he's done because he's he's earned it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So it's special, and it's probably the same. He's proud of you too, little brother. And those are the things that are great above brotherships. And after six years, you just said, you know, I'm free agent. I want to get into coaching. Six seasons, you have fifty seven home runs, seven triples, ninety five doubles, but you wanted to get into something you wanted to teach, You wanted to coach. What made that the decision come for you?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, one, the love for the giants I have. I feel like I'm really passionate about the game, and you know, I saw an opportunity where I could manage or be a coach and and help out the next generation because I feel like I I you know, I played for so long in his organization, and I knew the inside of the house. I knew so many people, so many people and created so many good relationships that this would be a great place to start if I had the opportunity to do it, you know what I mean. And to just be able to pass on knowledge to players and help them out in their everyday lives, not just on the baseball field, but just to be able to help mentor them was really important to me because I just felt like, you know, as a player, I've probably been in every situation possible, you know, from a guy who had to earn his spot on the team, or from a guy who was a top thirty prospect, or a guy who ended up being a role player, or a guy who you know, ended up being the forgotten player in some sense, you know what I mean. So just to be able to go through those different avenues, those different stretches in life, I feel like I was kind of built for the coaching side to be able to help to help these young men and help them grow into you know, good people.
Speaker 1: Good well, Jacob has definitely worked. Kyle Haynes raves about your communication the way you're level headed, the way you understand the game, the way you teach the game. And he watched you and rookie ball, he watched you for three years. And now the move up to Eugene. Has there been many changes from rookie ball in Arizona now to Eugene. Just the coaching mentality of it.
Speaker 2: Uh No, I think, you know, honestly, honestly, but I think the coaching says the same, you know what I mean. We talked about it early in the meetings and uh this offseason, the off season before the season started, and we're kind of like, you know, kind of set a tone of hey, man, like even you're an a ball being double at triple at, but we need to treat this, treat these teams like we're in a ball, you know what I'm saying. And I always try to treat the rookie ball players that way. I chieve them with respect. You know, just because they're new doesn't mean that they don't know the game and they can't they can't get better. So you know, it's it's not there's no change. You know, you just coach as much as possible. But you also got a mentor to men you know what I mean. Yeah, and I take a lot of pride in that. Are we we as the staff to take a lot of pride in that? Well?
Speaker 1: Jacob talking to Ring, he loves wins, of course, triple A, double A, high A low, a allhead records the first half, but he said, progression is what we want. We want to see these kids move up. We want to compete at the next level. Your thoughts on that, because you've lost some key players, but you've also gained a few players and now you have a kind of a new team with some of the trades that happened to trade deadline. But I think progression is the main word.
Speaker 2: Do you agree? I agree? I agree. I think, you know, getting these guys to be able to obviously perform at the level that they're at, then also to see them adjust and make adjustments to be able to be better places the next levels is the most important thing. You know. We've got to set these guys up for success. And if we're if we're just thinking that we can just go out here and play a ball a ball baseball all day and think that's going to help us win championship is biggue level, then we're we're not doing our jobs, you know what I mean. The most important thing is is winning the championship at San Francisco, and that's our goal and I think that's the whole the whole organization's goal, and that's our mindset. So you definitely want to be able to get these guys better, develop them, keep them confident, and hav him prepared to be able to play at the highest level baseball.
Speaker 1: Jacob Hayward joined me for a few more minutes. He's the manager of the Eugene Emeralds. As I say, as people move up, your players move up to Double A. You also got a couple of players from San Jose, Johnny Level being nineteen years old and cam Maldonado, two outstanding young players. What have you seen out of them and what adjustments have you learned and kind of watched them progress into it right?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, first off, I had you know, I've had I've had dying for the last few years now and just seeing his seeing his development, man, it's pretty impressive, you know, man, you know what I mean, from a young kid and his maturity, you know, he's grown a little bit mentally, and see his competitive nature that he has in himself is pretty impressive to watch every day. You know, his bad the ball skills are impressive, but you know, the big thing for me is always base running defense, and he's grown so much in those areas, you know what I mean. I think he's almost had a twenty twenty season so far. So just trying to see him develop and continue to push into his best ability is the most important thing. And then for kenn Out and Otto Man, I saw him early last year in our base camp and just seeing his development, his confidence grow. You know. Obviously, you know these are still young, both young players, and they still need room to grow, and there's a lot of things that we can teach them, you know, moving forward. But to see them, you know, play with confidence and have fun and enjoy the game and try to learn as much as possible, it really stands out. And then you know, it's just it's fun to watch. I enjoy I enjoyed being able to see them from the beginning of their careers, you know, just getting drafted or just coming from the d R all the way to the States, and it's it's really fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Well, Jacob, like I said during the trade deadline, you inherited a lot of young players or young pitchers. I want to ask you about Henry Lilane, the big left hand or six foot seven. I guess when you take him out of the game, you got to look up to him because he's pretty tall. What have you've seen so far out of him? I've seen some tapes on him. He looks refined, but it's the same time he's got to learn a little bit. Is there a progression already on him?
Speaker 2: Have you seen? Uh? I think so? Man, just from his first outing, his first out into the second outing. I think his first outing went like four and two thirds or something like that, and then the next outing went five or six innings. Just the confidence in his ability. You know, obviously, you know when you get over from a trail, you're a little nervous probably and you meeting new people. But his energy, from what I've seen, is it's really there. The competitive nature is there, the belief in himself, the feel for his for his teammates that you can see, the respect of the answer his teammates. He has that even even coming from a new new organization, coming from a different organization, and you know he's he's got this stuff. Man, it's fun to watch, you know, just to be like I remember the first the first day he pitched his smoke can. I was just smiled from year to ear just to see a sixty seven guyon amount on the left side throwing throwing the ball ninety eight miles for you know. I mean, so it's invested to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it got to be exciting for you too, especially what you just said. Players coming over, they're nervous. They've never had that happen before, and they always think the team they signed with is the team they're going to get to the big leagues. And now it shakes it up and you have to do that. You have to be that manager kind of a dad to say, hey, everything's gonna be okay. And you've had a good handful of guys come over. Was that difficult for you to kind of open the door and say, come on in, we got to make some changes welcome in because it really is a welcoming Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say. I wouldn't say it's difficult, because you know, I think, hm hmm, I think the most the most important thing is being able to create a team and family environment right and regardless of you know, who's on the team, you know, because we've had changes throughout the whole year, you know, I mean, so we're kind of used to having new guys come in and just jump on the train and try to and try to go with everybody else. So it's not I wouldn't say it's too difficult, but I think, you know, just just being a good mentor and letting them know they can be themselves. And all we asked is, you know, for them is professionalism, and they've done that so far, you know, I mean, these guys are professionals. Is fine, So it's been easy. It's been easy for these guys.
Speaker 1: Well, Jacob, I want to thank you for your time. Congratulations on that first half championship and continue on my friend good luck.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That was Jacob Heyward on K andbr more coming up right here. I'm the sports leader.