Speaker 1: Something's not right here. Crime is up all over the states.
Speaker 2: The city is out of control, the economy is sick, axes are high.
Speaker 3: Housing is expensive, and businesses are leaving.
Speaker 4: Leaving California means fixing, and John Phillips is just the man to lead the charge. It's the Fix California Hour with John Phillips and Randy Wayne.
Speaker 1: And we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, The Birthday Boys Across the Glass.
Speaker 2: Johnny, We're broadcasting live on the radio on seven ninety KABC in southern California, eight ten KSFO and the Bay Area, and every single day we also broadcast live on video. You can watch us around the world at Johnny don't Like dot Com. That's Johnny Don't Like dot Com. It takes you right to the YouTube channel. You can subscribe and then all of our content goes right to your homepage. You can hit the bell so you get notified when we go live, and you can hit that like button because you like us. Come on, it's my birthday. Hit the like button.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number. One eight hundred two two two five two two two, It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. She is the editorial director and CEO of the Voice of San Francisco. You can read her online at the VOICESF dot org and follow her on x at the VOSF. Susan Dyer Reynolds Welcome, Hello, well, thank you, birthday.
Speaker 3: Hey thanks Susan.
Speaker 1: All right, now, you have been reporting extensively on all the chaos going on in Oakland, whether it be related to the former mayor of Shang Tao, California Waste Solutions, the down family, and one name that seems to escape a lot of the coverage, although if you read between the lines, he's there in just about all of it, and that is the Attorney General Rob Bonta, who was the former assemblyman from Oakland who used California Waste Solutions as his chief benefactors throughout his political career, at least when he was a politician in Oakland. But you look at the big papers in the state, You look at the LA Times, you look at the Sacramento b you look at the San Francisco Chronicle, and none of them have been able to connect the dots and say, now, wait a minute. This is a scandal that doesn't just involve a lot of local figures in Oakland. This goes all the way to Sacramento, to the Attorney General's office. Why do you think that hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 5: Well, it did in the Chronicle, ironically, and I wrote about it at the time, So two and a half up to two years ago July for twenty twenty four, I wrote a piece called the Bonta Money Trail, and in that I connected all the dots, and I even connected the dots to the music cafe, which was Dwangs Andy Dwong's karaoke bar where it was busted for drugs, prostitution, human trafficking, underage girls being trafficked. And I connected the dots because the person who was Duong's straw donor donated a lot of money to not just Bonta, but his wife, Mia, who took his place in the Assembly when he went to become Attorney General. About a year later, the Chronicle came out with a story that plagiarized my story almost word to word, and it was insane. I've never been plagiarized so completely, but I've been plagiarized before, but I've never been plagiarized so completely by a mainstream newspaper. Other people noticed it. That's how I found out. They said, oh, look, they took your story, so that was the only thing they ever did it, by the way, took them four reporters to plagiarize me. But the four reporters that were listed on the article, they just took what I had and maybe added a couple of details here and there, a couple of quotes, and then that's the last thing they've said about it. And you're right, nobody else has written about it other than me. I keep writing about Bonta because I feel he's the biggest crook in the bunch of them. To be honest, I mean, shing Tau isn't the brightest buld in the box, and so it was no surprise to me when that happened. You can just get a feel for who she is when you see or speak. I think she was in it for the money all along, had no business being but Rob Bonta has no business being attorney general. And the reason he didn't run for governor is I definitely believe he knows there's a problem, and so I think he's running for his old seat simply because he thinks that he doesn't. That will look even weirder.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to when this whole thing started in terms of being on the radar of the federal government. The whistleblower letter that came out from Mario Warrez included a paragraph about Rob Bonta saying that California Waste Solutions Andy Gong specifically had compromising videos and photos of Rob Bonta, the implication being that the comproman could be used to blackmail him into manipulating his behavior, I guess, either as assemblyman or Attorney General, or whatever position he happens to be in at any given time. The report that came out in the San Jose Mercury News recently authenticated those photos and those videos not necess necessarily of Bonta specifically, but of quote unquote politicians, and he had a number of them involving a number of politicians. Well, that seems to me that there's confirmation that the what was in the initial whistleblower letter has been authenticated, because if he has photos and videos of politicians, and this whole thing started because of a whistleblower saying he has photos and videos of Rob Bonta. That is blackmail material. I think we know what's happening here.
Speaker 5: Well, combining that with the fact that after the you know, all of this started to come to light, Bonta took almost five hundred thousand dollars out of his campaign fund for legal defense because of the corruption case. So he says, you know, well, of course I had to protect myself. I knew these people, well, you more than knew them. You were heavily involved with them. His wife Mia, when she was running for Assemblies, shared in office with Juarez, and they regularly socialized with the Dwongs, as we know from all the photos. Not they're not alone. Of course, he has pictures with you know, Javi or Sarah who's running for governor. He has pictures with current governor Gavin Newsom. But there are an awful, as I always say, an awful lot of very personal photos of him with the Bonta. They didn't look like a one off selfie. They looked like, you know, he called him his brother. So I think it, you know, I do think it probably confirms it, you know it. I mean, who else would he be? I mean, I know there's a lot, but who else would he be talking about. You know, it's like that there was a confirmation letter, in my opinion, and if he's not in there, I find it strange also that you know, neither Bonta is listed on the witness list. Clearly they were very tied to the Dwong. So that's interesting because sometimes that's a sign, just like with Rebecca Kaplan not being listed, sometimes that's a sign that there's more to come in the indictments. When I broke the story about Mohamnuru, the DPW head that ended up going down in San Francisco, he had a girlfriend who I had brought to light in an article, and she did not appear on the witness list, and the reasons because they were going after her separately.
Speaker 1: Go back to Bonta here for a second, because the way I see it covering California politics for as long as I have, if there is a video of him getting a dirty massage, if there is a video of him with a prostitute, if there are pictures of him in compromising situations with people other than his wife, I think it would be an embarrassing story. I don't think it would be a career ender because if it's consenting adults, or even if it's a sex worker who wasn't underage or wasn't sex trafficked, or those sorts of things, I think you could survive that. To my eye, the more damaging aspect of this story for Rob Bonte is assuming that he was blackmailed, what did he give them? What did he do with his power in his office that benefited Andy or anyone with California Waste Solutions that came as a result of the compromat. That I think is something that not only could kill his political career, but could put him in prison. Is that how you're seeing it too?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I think it goes much deeper than some dirty pictures. There's reasons why Duong seem you know, seems to feel certain politicians need to have blackmail material. There is also, of course, you know Veritas Fuels, the entire mess that that became, they were you know, they went to well, Andy, you know, we know Andy Dwong was with California Waste Management Services and then he had the whole thing with Veritas Fuels, which was run by Kaffe Neil who is Ellie who Harris's former wife, and Ellie who is the former mayor of Oakland. She was on the port. They both contributed to, you know, the campaign for Banta, and then he gave you know, he went to the to the Energy Commission and got that big loan for them. So along with taking donations, he's also gotten them money from taxpayers to do their dirty fuel business, which, as we know, was a complete scam, and all the while the address for that was the same as Mia Banta's office address.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that the comperment may be something more severe than just pictures of a dirty massage. Have you been briefed on what this compromat might be.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, I you know, I keep digging, but I do think that there is a lot behind Bonta that that isn't just the dawn. I think that he's one of the dirtiest politicians that the East Bay has ever seen. He's owned by the uns. He will take money from anybody, you know, even though he's complaining and saying I'm going to sue Trump and do this, and that he's taking you know, he talked, took almost six million dollars from unions and banks and healthcare companies, tech giants, all the people he claims he's gonna you know, you know, sue and and and take care of and make sure that the taxpayers are protected from he's there then taking their money. So I think it goes beyond the Dwans. I think that he's been dirty, and I think his wife is as well. I mean, you know, and she wants to do this, you know, prevent journalists from from going and investigating because she's afraid she's of being investigated. And I've you know, never let up on them, and I never will because I think there's a lot more. And I just wrote a story, in fact, it just came out last week that really drills down on all all of this and the connection to people like Kathy Neil and Ella Lou Harris. And I'm about to do a timeline where you're going to see who all those people are and how they got involved and how dirty it all has been.
Speaker 1: And Ellahu Harris, the former mayor of Oakland, was so bad and so corrupt as mayor of Oakland, he lost an Assembly race to a woman in the Green Party, which I can't think of the last time one of these minor parties has been able to outright win an Assembly seat. But Addie Bop found a way to do that when she was running against Ellahu Harris. It happened, honey.
Speaker 5: Also, you know, appointed his wife at the time, Kathy Neil, to the port and was signed for that. And this is who Varitius Fuels chooses as their you know, number one advisor. So clearly Bonta knew all of this when he went and got them, you know, millions of dollars from the Energy Commission, so that there's so many ties to there, this giant wheel of corruption that has been around as you know, parole to college and all of that. There's been the Ellie who, Harrising and Kathy Neal, They've all been involved and just sort of very you know, and Willie Brown too, frankly, was involved in all of it. So you look and you say, well, these people have just never gotten caught. That's the only thing. They just have never never been caught.
Speaker 1: You said that Mia Bonte is just as corrupt as your husband. She was also eyeing higher office this time around. She was thinking about running for state Superintendent of Public Instruction. And she never pulled the trigger on that is it. Did she do that for the same reason that her old man didn't do it for governor.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I think that she knows the eyes are on him, and that means the eyes are on her. I definitely think he's more corrupt, simply because he's had more opportunities corrupt. But she's taken her fair share of money from the Dwans, and she's been snapped in many photographs and limos and looking very friendly. Again, not like a one off selfie. Some of the politician photographs look like you just caught them at the right moment and they smiled and took a picture. These are pictures where they've clearly been out and about together, Warriors games, you know, the trip to the Philippines that there, there's I don't see any way Bonta can deny there was a close relationship there. And that's why he's getting legal help because he's afraid this is all going to come out. And you know, we've only seen a little snap of what what the prosecutors have. This is just because they you know, the defendants wanted some things removed from evidence, and they you know, released what it was they wanted removed. You know, there's a lot more.
Speaker 1: Chan Tao is not someone who I would regard as an honest person. But one of the things that she has said quite consistently, and I believe the government has backed her up on this, was that she was not the target of this investigation. And she has said that over and over and over again. Her attorney has made that claim. And yes, and if she is not the target of this investigation, that means someone else is. And I can't look at this any other way than to say it has to be rab Bonta because.
Speaker 5: All the you know, the Dlongs are they're big. I mean, they took a lot of taskpayer money and they had grown very powerful, so I can see why they need to come down off their pedestal. But it certainly wasn't Wars. I mean, he's cooperating right and has become their star witness in some ways, So it's not war as they certainly went through warre Is to get to shang Tao, the Dwongs, and now they're probably gonna try to go through them to get to Bontu, who to meat would be the big the biggest prize for them to take down. It's you know, rarely when they go after the small fries that they really after the small fries. They're hoping they'll they'll turn I mean a good example is you know Dwayne Jones who in San Francisco. You know Shaman Walton, supervisor with his his mentor. You know, it's been what two three years since my stories were mentioned in his indictment, and he still hasn't gone to trial. That's because they're trying to get him to talk, and they've got bigger fish to fry, and I I think, you know, for example, Shaman Walton is probably one of them they're looking at. He's got a lot of issues, but they always start somewhere and then they hope that you'll talk. And I have no doubt that Shang Tao will sing like a bird if she thinks that it's going to get her out of prison.
Speaker 1: There was an alleged fascination attempt on the whistleblower, Mario Warrez, who said that he believed that someone put a hit out on him and tried to kill him so he would not be able to cooperate with the government. Do we believe him and if so, who did that?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I looked into the incident and actually had a couple of DMS back and forth with him. Early on in this investigation, and yes I believe him because the police were called and there were you know, there was a shootout. He also shot back. It wasn't just them, but he was also beaten up outside of outside of the Duong's office space after a heated meeting there. I have no doubt that the Duangs would like to silence him. I wouldn't personally want to be him, just because you know, now he's out there as the guy that kind of blew this whole thing up. But yes, I do believe him, and just having spoken to him been DMS and you know, just the basic premise of how it occurred. When I read the police report, it was a you know, definitely a shootout.
Speaker 1: Last after him, last question before you go. When Rob Bonta became attorney General, he did not run and beat an incumbent. He did not run for an open seat. He was appointed by California Governor Gavin Newsom. No governor appoints someone for a high office like that, a statewide constitutional office like attorney general, without a vetting process. I would imagine that if you did a legitimate vetting of Rob Bonta, then a lot of this would come up what happened there? How did that go sideways? How did Newsom not become aware of it? Or was he?
Speaker 5: I think Newsom was aware of it. I mean, how could he not being in the Bay Area politics. I mean the stories about Rob Bonta were well known, and I think, you know, Gavin Newsom's part of the city family, and it all goes back to Willie Brown. I think that there's a connection between these people. They all keep each other secrets. And the reason he would want someone who, in my opinion, Rob bonto has never qualified to the Attorney General and still isn't is because he's a yes man for one thing and probably has some secrets on him and vice versa, because you know, Gavin Newsom isn't clean either, So you know, they all keep each other's secrets, and I mean that's why San Francisco and Oakland have been politically compromised for decades.
Speaker 1: Susan Dyer Reynolds, the editorial director and CEO The Voice of San Francisco, a one woman wrecking crew doing the work that the San Francisco Chronicle, La Times and Sacramento b won't or refuse to do. You can read her online at the voice sf dot org and follow her x at the VOSF Susan Diya Reynolds. Excellent work and thank you so much for stopping by.
Speaker 5: Oh always, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: It's the John Phillips Show. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. And Randy. If you were to watch us perform the show live, you can do that at Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 3: We've made it so easy.
Speaker 2: Whether you're on a phone or on a browser, go to Johnny Don't Like dot Com. Even if you're at work, keep it on in the background, and anytime that you need a little break from life, we're right there for you. If you're driving, it's probably not a good idea. Although what I do when I listen to podcasts in the cars, I have it on YouTube and then I have the phone face down in the console where it's charging, so I'm still listening. But you know, if I get home, then all of a sudden, I'm watching it takes us to the YouTube channel. Just go to Johnny don't Like dot Com. If you have not subscribed. Please do so you'll get first in line to all of our It's free. You just click the button also free hitting that like button telling YouTube that you like this show. There's tons of on demand content on the channel as well, including at three o'clock today, we'll be premiering our newest episode of the Accountability Podcast, a forty minute exclusive video interview with candidate for Governor Steve Hilton, that is on the channel today at three o'clock.
Speaker 1: Do not miss it, and we're going to preview that interview the two o'clock hour as well. We'll play you a portion of our interview with Steve Hilton, and if you want to watch the interview in its entirety, you're going to have to go to the Accountability Podcast for that, all right. Earlier this morning, I was invited to be a guest on Good DAYLA, where we talked about a number of the subjects that we talk about on this program all the time, and we took time out to promote the Accountability Podcast as well. If you want to watch Good DLA, you can do so weekday mornings on Fox eleven kt TV in southern California. Let's go ahead and watch the interview that it took place earlier this morning.
Speaker 6: All right, friend of the show podcast host radio hosts John Phillips is here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he hosts What Else with The John Phillips Show weekdays on AM seven ninety KABC. How nice would it be to have your own show with your name attached to it?
Speaker 6: Bob, we have her own show?
Speaker 7: Would you like the Bob DeCastro Show someday?
Speaker 3: That's still my show someday someday.
Speaker 7: Lots to talk to you about lots going on in the world of politics. So can we start with the mayor's race?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 7: And this Boyle Heights mess. What do you think that's going to do to the way this mayor's race plays out? What kind of impact do you think it's going to have.
Speaker 1: Well, it's causing massive problems for Karen Bass. I mean, she just went down there and spoke in front of the community forum and got cursed out in both both English and Spanish. And what I don't understand is why she's not blaming the county, because it's the county that's in charge of the public health department. It's Barbara Ferrer, who is the one who came out after this fire was burning for something like a week, right, and told these people it was safe to breathe in the smoke. Well, that neighborhood smelled like Lucille Ball's lungs. Everyone knows it's not safe to breathe in the smoke, and these people were told, yeah, it's perfectly fine, take a deep breath.
Speaker 7: But then also we saw neighbors getting nosebleeds and reporting you know, that the air smelled terrible, and what can this do for their lungs? Yeah, you don't know. So to come out and say ahead of time that this is fine, that's a big problem.
Speaker 3: That's a big liability.
Speaker 1: Well, and their lungs are filled with fluids, they're bleeding from their nose, they have rashes on their bodies, and they're going to these county public health clinics again run by the county, and they're being given tail and all and told to go home. So I don't understand why Bass isn't laying all the blame at the county, because the county is the one that supposed to be handling this.
Speaker 7: We've been trying to get responses too from the counties with the public health department, and they have been pretty elusive for the media as well.
Speaker 6: Given what she knew what happened with the fires and all the criticism that she got for her handling of the fires. And she's tried to take control of the situation here. She had said there's an emergency crisis. Here, she's given deadlines for Lineage to clean this stuff up and get it out of there two days after school starts, by the way, But still, you know, she's tried to take control of this situation. But who knows. If this is a protracted thing, then I think this could really be a lingering issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's certainly trying to lay all the blame at Lineage's feet, But I don't understand why the people who ran the solar panels aren't the ones taking the blame. Because the fire started on the roof with the solar panels, and the cold storage just happened to be underneath it, the cold storage company is the one that's being blamed, and somehow the people that operate the solar panels are getting a pass. I don't know why she's blaming them the cold storage company, and not the county and the people who operate the solar panels, because it seems like it was their fold. It's a good point.
Speaker 6: We don't even know the name of the company that tried to saw those solar panels. So in the meantime, we're like less than ninety days, like three months until the election. Now you're wondering. This starts to get really really you know, exciting here because we've got Nithie Rahman, right, we're watching has things are playing out across the country here. Just this morning we heard in Michigan you have this progressive candidate now beating out the more moderate Democratic candidate to run for the states there is now in New York, we saw what happen with New Yorkman.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and so yeah, what are you thinking in terms of Democrats? They're clearly having this internal identity crisis, right, but you're starting to see state to state, especially like Michigan, is a good bell weather for maybe a bigger discussion in terms of what's happening with Democrats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you look at what happened yesterday where I think one of the building unions, the trade unions came out in favor of Rahmen that endorsed Bass the last time around. Things in politics tend to happen in waves where you look back at like the nineteen eighties and you had Reagan and Thatcher who saw the world the same way, who got elected around the same time. And then in the nineties you had these center left Bill Clinton Tony Blair types, and then you had the populace in the two thousands with Trump and Brexit and those things. And now you're seeing this wave of DSA candidates who are doing well in places like New York and Colorado and even in some primaries here in California. And look at all the big cities that have elected socialist mayors, where it's New York, at Chicago, at Seattle, and it could be Los Angeles. Karen Bass is looking like an incumbent on the ropes right now. And if I had the lame down, I would say she loses.
Speaker 6: Interesting, all right, we'll see how that plays out. Let's let's turn to the governor's race now. So there was a big press conference. We're going to go back to Boyle Heights there and Steve Hilton had a press conference there. He's really trying to tap into the Latino vote there, saying, hey, the demo, you've been with a Democratic Party for your entire lives and look where it's gotten you. Not really very far. You know, we're really the party for you. Does does he have a shot in this and to chip away at any of that base?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was a good idea for him to launch his campaign there. Because Gavin Newsom, governor California, has time to travel all around the country campaigning on behalf of other people. He hasn't been to Boyle Heights. Javier Bessera, who represented that area in both the California Assembly and the Congress, has not been to Boyle Heights. This is a one party state right now where the government has failed those people. So if you're Steve Hilton and you're presenting yourself as the outsider, as the person who is not part of the group that has run the state this way, I think it highlights a lot of the failures right now that we're seeing at the state level, the county level, the city level.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And so he's stepping in and being almost a voice for the people and you know, taking this as an opportunity to speak to the voters. Yeah, maybe other candidates have not yet.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 6: I mean the polls are so I show that Bessara is so far ahead it almost would seem so difficult to close that gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it looks like he's going to employ the Joe Biden strategy and just go in the basement and not campaign aggressively, not campaign actively. I know that Hilton challenged him to I think six different debates, and so far Besarah has not said yes to it.
Speaker 7: Is he doesn't fel like he has to.
Speaker 1: He already has the support. Yeah, I think he's going to put it on autopilot and just expect the registration numbers, which are to his advantage, to be enough to carry him over the top. That's what Adam Shift did after Steve Garvey was the one that ended up going on the November ballot with him. It's something that Gavin Newsom did with Brian Dolly and John Cox that seems to be the playbook.
Speaker 7: I wanted to get your thoughts on this new presidential survey. I think we might have a full screen of that. These numbers are kind of surprising. So you're talking about a number of progressive Democratic candidates who seemed to be polling better than for example, Governor Newsom or Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: You f Pete Budaje Edge.
Speaker 7: Leading the pack there at twenty four percent, John Ossoff, who's kind of come to the forefront as a main character in this race, and then AOC at ten percent.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what do you make of these numbers?
Speaker 1: Well, chick her and we're around. He'd say for Newsom, the mustards off the hot dog, because for a long time he was pulling in the topsplot. I mean, he was the guy. He looked like he was going to be the Democratic nominee. He presented himself as the chief foyle to Donald Trumpocratic voters hate Donald Trump with the hot hot hate of a thousand sons, so that made him a popular figure in the party. But look at what's been going on with Newsom lately. He has acknowledged that the FEDS are now investigating what's going on with his wife's business dealings. He's fighting with state employees over whether or not they have to go back into the office because he doesn't want images of empty city centers in California. He is fighting with the SEIU over the wealth confiscation tax. He's got a lot of trouble brewing at home right now, and he is not being seen as the number one foil to Donald Trump anymore. He's seen as the governor who's got a lot of problems back at home. And that's not a good look.
Speaker 7: But so did President Trump before he got elected. So you're talking about somebody who is the factor that helps a candidate win. They're speaking to the electorate. They're talking directly to the electorate.
Speaker 3: They're of the electorate.
Speaker 7: And there might be some sense that traditional and stream Democrats aren't doing that lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll tell you something else. Newsome risks looking like someone who's not relevant by focusing so much on Donald Trump. Because Trump's the president now, but in twenty twenty eight, he's not going to be running if he's the Democratic nominee against Donald Trump, He's going to run against Marco Rubio or JD Vance or someone else.
Speaker 6: And you look at all these other people, like a John Awsoff, who's really kind of flying under the radar, right, he's like not even really out there saying much.
Speaker 3: We got to go really quickly.
Speaker 1: Your podcast. You got a new podcast, right, that's right, the Accountability Podcast, And I'm on Monday through Friday on KABC in La and KSFO in San Francisco.
Speaker 7: There you go, excellence, John Phillips, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. Sure right back, Well look at that, So there you have it. Had fun this morning over at good DLA.
Speaker 2: For a second when they asked you for a traffic to put on the screen, I thought, oh, I should do a silly AI image for that, But I think we played it safe and let's just promote the show.
Speaker 1: For once we use good judgment. It's the John Phillips Show. If you want to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny Don't Like dot com and click that like button while you're there. All right, we know that there was a lot of chaos that went on all over the state of California on the fourth of July. We had illegal fireworks. We had illegal fireworks aimed at homes, We had illegal fireworks aimed at people. We had all kinds of violations going on in northern California, in southern California, and all points in between. And Randy, you have some new numbers about just exactly went on that fourth of July.
Speaker 2: Orange County did a pretty big crackdown, especially in places like Anaheim, because if you're gonna do fireworks, at Anaheim. Your name needs to be Walt Disney, and they levied all kinds of fines, including multiples of fines, for every single firework done. This has worked very well in Sacramento and actually saw a major reduction the year after. Let's see how it worked out in Orange County. Here is CBSLA.
Speaker 1: Property owners in the city of Orange facing staggering fines Tonight after Fourth of July violations. Cbsla's Michelle Jelly with the numbers and reaction from residents.
Speaker 8: Illegal fireworks go off in the sky. A hovering police drone homes in on an address in Orange.
Speaker 2: And despite what Johnny thought, they weren't shooting the drone down.
Speaker 1: I thought that was going to happen right and left.
Speaker 8: The offenders are caught red handed. Officials say this video for this.
Speaker 2: Although not literally hand exploded red handed, but that did happen to a bunch of people.
Speaker 8: Fourth of July on East Barkley Avenue will be used as evidence against the homeowner. Her fine tens of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: Imagine having a lean put out on your house because your idiot children launched the illegal fireworks on the fourth of July.
Speaker 9: It's fine in itself as three thousand dollars per party. And then for the first firework that you discharged illegally, that's two thousand, the second one is four thousand, and the third one is six thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: And you we're in a yamaca or do you have a bandage on his head?
Speaker 1: I think he went to my dermatologist.
Speaker 8: It's six thousand dollars for everyone shot off. After that, the feat schedule was approved by the Orange City Council as part of the new Social host Ordinance. The total fireworks violation finds amounted to two hundred and forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: That's just in the city of Orange. And I love the fact that they were too stupid to shoot down the drones. I thought it was going to look like Israel's Iron Dome.
Speaker 2: Well, if you shoot down the drones, that's it's probably a much bigger offense because they are police drones.
Speaker 8: Eight administrative citations were issued. The top three fines given to homeowners or tenants one hundred and eleven thousand dollars at one property, sixty nine thousand at another, and twenty one thousand dollars in fines for another offender.
Speaker 2: If you're the guy that has to drop off that bill, how badly do you want to say was it worth it?
Speaker 1: Well? Do you think it's the actual homeowner that's doing it or do you think it's grandma who has a bunch of idiot grandkids living with her and they decided to do it at esther's house.
Speaker 2: I think that's possible, and yes, there are plenty of homeowners that do it on their own property.
Speaker 3: I should know.
Speaker 2: I live in a single family neighborhood in the valley and it's a freaking war zone every fourth of July.
Speaker 1: I think it is excessive. I also think it's not going to work.
Speaker 3: Because it's fourth of July and that's gonna happen.
Speaker 8: But Orange Mayor Dan Slater hopes just the opposite will happen next July fourth, that the fines will be a deterrent.
Speaker 9: The biggest disappointment, of course, is that we only had two drones and one of them malfunction, So we did this operation with only one drone.
Speaker 1: Boy, they could have got double the amount of fines. Did it malfunction or was it shut down?
Speaker 3: That is a very good question.
Speaker 9: Hopeful that next year we'll have several in operation.
Speaker 2: That's what they're gonna use all the money for. This is going to be the self fulfilling prophecy. They got two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in fines. Where's that money going towards make the burn centers. No, we're gonna use that money to buy a whole bunch of more drones. So the next year we can collect two million dollars in fines.
Speaker 1: Maybe instead of the drones, they'll just buy all of the parked planes that our favorite airline that just shut down used.
Speaker 8: The home owner face the sixty nine thousand dollars fine, told me she doesn't know the people who were lighting the illegal fireworks behind me here in the church parking lot next to her home. She also said when the crowd ran into her backyard when police showed up, she didn't know those people either. She plans to appeal her fine in Orange Michelle Jeey CBSLA.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Now, wait a minute, they got the wrong woman.
Speaker 2: Well that's what she's saying. I would imagine your first line of defense here is I didn't know those people. I don't know what they were doing in my backyard. But and maybe she's right, but maybe that's just the excuse that she's gonna use because you have a lot of people. This is true in Sacramento two where the first thing they say is, I didn't know who those people were. I didn't tell them to shoot off them fireworks.
Speaker 1: Well, little old ladies don't shoot off fireworks.
Speaker 3: They're no good kids do. So there you go.
Speaker 2: The city of Orange two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in fines levied for illegal fireworks on the fourth of July, and all that was collected with one drone.
Speaker 3: Just one.
Speaker 1: Okay, if every city in California had the drones where they could keep an eye on who was shooting on which city do you think would generate the most revenue.
Speaker 2: If they actually had a means to enforce it, and they had an army of thousands of drones, the city of Los Angeles could solve their budget deficits.
Speaker 3: In one night, one night, and it would be all.
Speaker 2: We could fund the police department, we could fund the schools, we could fund everything just on one day of what goes on pretty much the whole summer in the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 1: What about Oakland? They could make enough money to buy the coliseum back.
Speaker 3: That is also very possible.
Speaker 5: And we still got our Oakland A's baby.
Speaker 3: No you don't.
Speaker 1: I mean if the Roots are evicted, they could bring a new team in. They could bring in the die jobs. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Don't shoot off illegal fireworks. Kids.
Speaker 1: We've got one more hour coming up on The John Phillips Show. Coming up next, we're gonna check in with Minnesota State Rep. Max Reimer. Also, we're gonna preview a portion of the newest edition of the Accountability Podcast was dropped today at three o'clock. That was our long extended interview with candidate for governor Steve Hilton. So make sure you stick around. It's the John Phillips Show.