Speaker 1: What's happening? Thanks for Jonas, appreciate it hanging out with us on Pharobias ten am to two pm weekdays. Here on the Sports Leader, we're gonna have a little uh, we're gonna reminisce. It's my good friend Dennis Brown. Dennis and I haven't talked for a long time, and uh pre half in post we sat in those studios many many late nights discussing everything. A little bit of football, but a lot of other things as well. And the Super Bowl champion Dennis Brown, who did an awesome job with Keena and Bob for preseason Game number one, joins us here on the UMA guest line, what's happening?
Speaker 2: Hey man, you just went through this whole line about you know, the late night talking. Yeah, you never even say goodbye, bro? What's up with that?
Speaker 1: They kind of it's kind of like the NFL. They just gotta shoot you out of a cannon, like bye, So yeah, you go.
Speaker 2: You go. And I remember when I got really you know, I went into the locker room and it was just a garbage bag, and I was like, that is I can't just sitting next to your locker Yeah, yeah, don't, don't don't worry about going to the locker. Just take your bag and keep it moving.
Speaker 1: But it's good prison man.
Speaker 2: Yeah you doo.
Speaker 1: Man, I was, I got to tell you, man, awesome call for a week number one. Man, I was, I was digging you guys because I was actually I was in the studio watching the game, but it was your call, so it was it was your guys call while I was watching the game. I enjoyed it, man, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: That's that's you know, first preseason. You know, Fitz carries that whole show. He's so great, and Kena has his and uh but you know it's it's always inter I mean, it's always interesting to me, John, because it's preseason and you know, everybody gets hyped up, the crowds hyped up. But you know everyone's just happy football is back. And you know, we we we do it again. And I hate to say it, but you know we we talk about the what is it, the Quest for six whatever it might be. But yeah, you know, after that first preseason game, everyone's got their their look and their views and their predictions and it's and it's and it's kind of tough, right because you don't see the guys are actually be playing the football game. But it's always good to see some of these young guys. And I think we saw, you know this, this young receiver. You know, if you hit on that, you know it's great. But I look at the depth and this defensive line and and and you know some of the guys that they kind of stood out. I mean, you know, no one really popped, but you know, you've got a good base there and it's gonna be I don't know how it works anymore with these preseason games, if starters will play this game or they just kind of sit out until the regular season, but you know, it's good to see football back, and it's good to see some of these these guys get an opportunity and take advantage of it.
Speaker 1: No doubt. The great Dennis Brown is downing a Super Bowl champion. Had a great call right here on KMBR with Keenan Turner and Bob Fitzgerald for preseason game number one. Of course, the Chargers. The Niners are down in LA with the Chargers with joint practices which we'll get to in a minute. But you're area of expertise, obviously, it's all over the place. You have you're you have a large and vast area of expertise, but played on the defensive line. So I look, I love the Osa. Addition, I'm a little bit nervous about about Nick and the knee. Eric Branch wrote a piece today that the second knee injury is obviously more difficult to come back from. He had one in high school as well the ACLU. But what do you think of like these younger guys Like I like Grayson Halton, he looked pretty good. I've always been a CJ. West guy. Really like Alfred Collins, I think, but he needs to take a step. And then there's a couple of guys in Eason and Thompson who are free agent guys. So I like all this depth. It's just that it's unproven depth. So it makes me a little bit nervous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I was saying, I mean, you know, Grayson, I think he had some nice plays on the inside there. Valdez had a nice sack there, just kind of running over the running, pushing that guard back that outside shoulder and just getting that sack. There's some nice games ran. You know. James Thompson, I mean he he you know, he had a nice little game there at one point. Uh and then you know, Bryson eaesen is Is is a guy that you know, he's quick, good first step, he's strong. These guys just you know, I was at practice on I think it was on Sunday. These guys, it's just tough for me to watch. These guys are just you know, they look like they all look like linebackers, but they're quick and they're strong. So, you know, I think I think in the middle. You know, I'm still kind of old school, you know. I look, you know, kind of with what what the Seahawks did last year with those two guys in the middle, I think you just need some big guys in the middle that can just kind of absorb some double teams. And Keeno likes to talk about, you know, letting letting linebackers flow, but that is the kind of the key to this defense. But there were some you know, some young guys. I mean look at you know, Titus Leo, you know, big number ninety six. I mean, he had he had a couple of plays. You know, he's gonna have to learn kind of how to not to get pushed outside that I mean, have that outside contained, but also be able to squeeze that hole because you know that nine technique, you really got to be able to squeeze it. So there's no run laying in between you. But I mean there's some young guys, but there's only game one. I mean, you know, the expectations of the next game is these guys that we just talked about to kind of make you know, that next step. You know, Valdez is a guy that was on the team or didn't make the fifty three man roster, but they really liked them last season. You know, they call him Hercules. He's a strong dude. He's just got to kind of, you know, work on a counter move from that bull rush, get a rip or get some kind of handslap thing going. So I mean, you know, CJ. West and Alphad College is going to be interesting to see how they develop. But you know, again it's it's football's back, you know, Harball. It'd be interesting. Last week there's a lot of fights. I don't think Harball allows that fight and stuff. But I like seeing the physicality and I think, you know, but Fay, I mean with that rush when he ran over that fullback or that running back. I mean, I like the physicality, like that, so you know, this defense has to be you know, a lot stouter, especially against the run. This season. I think the secondary is gonna look good once Upton Stouts gets himself together and they figure out, you know, that other safety position. But you know, this defense has to be stronger against the run and then you know, get some interceptions, you know, and that all starts with the with that front four and getting after it or a front five whatever they're gonna run.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm going back a minute here, but I I like how you brought up a number ninety six making a play because you wore ninety six. You do that often when we talk about Washington players. But it's okay, I got it. How much you know, obviously they've missed they missed drag Greenlaw when he was he was gone for a year. He's still kind of bang up. But if if he's healthy with Fred, I know, they got a lot of young defensive you know, young defensive linemen still kind of figuring their way outside of demo as far as the secondary is a little bit young as well. But but how much do you think that Drey will help? His return will help.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's gotta help I mean, you know he you know, when he was when he was h know, when he was back when he was with the forty nine ers a couple of years ago. I mean him and him and Fred Warner, they easily were the best duo linebackers in the National Football League, and at three accident in the Super Bowl, you know, kind of set them back. But you know, other guys get to learn, right, you know, other those other linebackers. Uh uh. You know Nick is a guy that played well in the preseason. He popped a little bit, then he kind of disappeared. I mean Nick gets to learn from him, Nick Martin. So you know, all these guys, you know, they get an opportunity to be around, you know, these two linebackers, and it's got to be you know, in the meeting rooms. You know, I played with two great linebackers. I played with Ken Norton Junior, a fantastic linebacker. Uh. And then you know Gary Gary Gary.
Speaker 1: I forget his name now, Gary Plumber.
Speaker 2: Plumber. Yeah, jeez, Alzheimer's kicking in, but yeah, Plumber. I mean those two linebackers, I mean, they help may help, may help you, you know, get a lot better. You know, I shouldn't joke about that because it's gonna happen here. But yeah, I mean it's great.
Speaker 1: I don't even I didn't even play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, you know, and it's and it's and it's Uh, it's got to be great to be in the locker room with those guys, are in the media rooms with those guys. I mean, they're familiar with them, with with each other, but they're gonna help all these young guys get a lot better. I mean, what how about you know Romelo Height. I mean this kid, I mean I know he's a he's kind of a whip linebacker and outside linebacker, but I mean he's a guy when you look at when you look at him, you're like Jesus, guy long. He's got long arms. It's quick. But again, you know we're talking preseason. You know, you got to prove yourself, you know, regular season in the big games. But like always on paper, you know, right now, everyone looks fantastic, but you know, when the lights come on, we kind of see what happens. I am very interesting to see what this who plays in this this next preseason game here, and I think that's coming out as another Thursday.
Speaker 1: Game game, right yeah, I think it's is it Sunday that they're playing the Chargers, But like you said, I mean, I think this is the one that you play in and then nobody plays in the last preseason game, even though there's only three. So but uh, maybe just maybe now because you and I are no longer doing those shows than in the because people don't realize we did a postgame in Miami after the Super Bowl loss. We did a post game in Las Vegas after that loss. Man, it was like, that's a terrible like you're just sitting there and you're watching the confetti of the other team, which of course both times is Kansas City and it's close to what the forty nine Ers have that confetti, but the players doing the doing the snow angels and stuff like that or confetti angels, and you and I had to just sit there and watch that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so yeah, we could have been the problem. We could have been the problem. So you know, those are not whole nights. Yeah, those were not. And they were long nights too. You're talking, you know, way into the next morning. So and you know, hopefully you know, guys kind of remember that. Guys like one of Nick Bosa they to remember stuff like that. And you know, I was fortunate enough never have to experience that as a player, but I have been able to experience it just kind of covering the squad. And I was in New Orleans, you know when that lost, So I really could be the problems. So three losses. So but again it's high hopes right now. You know, everyone's fired up about it. Everyone's fired up about. All I hear about is how great uh quarterback plays you know by both Mac and Brock Kurdy in camp. And you know scribbling is is doing an outstanding job, this young receiver. So everybody's hyped. You know, Debo's back, you know, Mike Evans is here. You know we got receivers are going to stretch. The defense is going to be a lot quicker. But again, you know you kind of have to wait till till it kind of happens to see what happens. And this team is notorious about I mean, well, what do we say every year, John, If the team can stay healthy, you know they're they're in contend for a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: So all right, that leads us into our big pole. We have a big pole today. We want you to participate in it. So today's big pole is very simple. Uh, you can through through magic which I which I have, you can keep one forty nine ers player healthy all season long. They are they will not get injured. Now you can go with ours or you can go yeah, they will not get injured. So now I'm throwing Brock out because he would he would absolutely landslide this thing. Obviously. Although mac Jones is pretty good, maybe we should have put him in here, but I didn't. It's my fault, but I put we put CMC, Fred Warner, Nick Bosa, Trent Williams, or you can go off the board. So CMC, Nick Bosa, Fred Warner, Trent Williams or go off the board.
Speaker 2: I would say CMC, I mean just because I mean he I mean, unless especially right now. You know he's banged up, but he's kind of always kind of banged up, but these he really after him Who is it? I mean, who you got? Who you got gonna runs the problem? And we saw we saw last year that you know, he he was the engine, right you know, Jordan's Jordan James has heard you know, Black has got you know, expectations out the out the out the roof, you know, over over the I mean everything McCormick.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, well that's the problem. I really didn't think of this with with brock which you know, Mac Jones can win some games. I don't think he's brocked, but he can win some games. But like you said, gets hurt, Yeah, it falls off, he gets hurt.
Speaker 2: Patrick Taylor, Patrick Taylor, You're you're back. I mean, I think he's a good possession guy. He's a good red zone guy. But I don't think Patrick Taylor's gonna run this offense. So you know, if McCaffrey can stay you know, healthy throughout the season and the playoffs, I mean, that would that would be my guy. I mean, just because the depth is just not there. It's just not there, you know. And and you know how Kyle Shanahan does. He's trying to run the ball thirty times a game, so you're you're taking some pounding. So if he can stay healthy regular season, uh preseason you know, or preseason, regular season, uh, playoffs, I think you know, that'd be my guy.
Speaker 1: Dennis Brown joined a Super Bowl champion here on the Sports Eater. Are you are you feeding the masses today? Are you working in you? Are you taking a break because of us.
Speaker 2: So no, no, never, never break. It's interesting though, because I have a partnership with a with a great fish company distributor here in San Francisco, and I just got probably half a palette, which is probably ten cases of frozen salmon that I get to cut up today. Oh so yeah, so I can give that out on Friday. So the game, the game is on Thursday, and I'll be back on Have My Have My Pantry. But tonight I will be going on smelllegg salmon. So my wife, very nice man, very nice.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, real quick, I'd be remiscent if I didn't ask you. This is popped into my head. You and I had many conversations about about Roger Craig and and I'm sad that it that it took so long, and he's health wise, he's not doing as well. But but just how big of a thrill was it for you as a as a you know, big Roger Craig guy, that that Roger finally got in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we we spent we had a fantastic weekend in Kenton, right uh, and you know what the issues that Roger's going through. I mean, you wouldn't have known it because he was just excited. You know, us as you know, as fans, we watch it and we say, you know, why not and why did it take so long? But think about Roger, what he's been doing all these years. So him, his family. It was just a really fun weekend and we had a great time. There were you know, we we had dinners, we had we were in a parade with him. You know, all the guys were there. Of course, all the Hall of Famers were there, but there was just there was just it was. It was truly a celebration. And you know, I think Roger, I mean, we all know he deserves it. I mean, what took so long? I don't know. I don't know how that stuff kind of works. But now it's behind him. He is he is a Hall of Famer, which he deserves to be. And he had all his teammates around and it was really really I think we left here on a Thursday and we spent the whole weekend. We came back on a Monday, and it was just all about that, all about Roger. Mister d was there. It was it was a great party. Uh, the performer was I don't know if you know this cat, but his name is Morris Day. If you heard of Morris Day.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, Purple Rain, Mars Day and the Nights or whatever it was the time.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you're gonna have to do a little do a little googleman. But it was great. It was a great celebration that well deserved, well deserved. It was great.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, man, Hey, thanks for that story. Appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I always love catching up to you, and hopefully we can do it in person really soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely hopefully see you at the Old all right man.
Speaker 1: Oh I'll be there. I'll be there.
Speaker 2: Okay, good good, good, good good. All right, I have to look you. Thanks go to.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, now you're in the v I p C. Man, this is the great Dennis Prowd