Speaker 1: Now back to murphin Markets on the Sports Leader streaming live on visports leader dot com at knbr V Sports Leader app.
Speaker 2: I thought he settled in and he pitched really well. It's it is two different mentalities. Those guys can speak to it more intelligently than I can. But he's been a little bit of both reliever and the true bulldog comes out in him when he's got, you know, three outs to go get as opposed of a runway of maybe one hundred pitches. And to me, it was a good mix. As the game went on, of he looked like he was attacking and he had his intensity, but he's also pitching really well. And then even towards the end there where he's able to get out of some damage against really good or prevent damage against some really good hitters. He was kind of truly pitching a good mix and good spotting up.
Speaker 3: The voice a former Tennessee head baseball coach Tony Vaidel Little, current skipper of the San Francisco Giant and the skipper of our next guest, Blade Tidwell, who made his first start as a member of the San Francisco Giants last night out in Texas, taking some time out of his schedule this morning. On the UMA Guest Line, Blade, want to say good morning, Welcome to the Murph and Markey Show. I'm Marcus Bouchet. John Dickinson is my partner this morning. How are we doing today? Blade?
Speaker 4: Oop?
Speaker 5: Take two?
Speaker 4: Blade?
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Brother?
Speaker 5: You with us this morning?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, we got you loud and clear. Blade Tidwell.
Speaker 3: On the UMA guest Line, how you feeling this morning after making your first start as a San Francisco Giant. I know that you've had starts before in the big leagues with the New York Mets, but last night first time doing it in a Giants uniform after starting the season in the bullpen. Your takeaways from last night's game, Blade, Yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Thought it went well overall. I did a good job battling After that first inning. I came out a little bit shaky, which was not good for anybody. Kind of costs the bullpen having to go out there and throw four innings so they couldn't make it through six. But overall, I'll take it.
Speaker 7: What are the keys to adjusting when things get off to a start that you know in the first inning, that that, you know, maybe you don't like to to sort of hold it together as you were able to do their moving.
Speaker 6: Forward, just come back in and kind of mentally reset. I feel like, go out there and take it three outs of the time as opposed to trying to. You're not going to get those runs you gave up back, so just make do with what you got.
Speaker 3: Well, Blade, talk to us about the mentality going to this game after starting off the season in the bullpen, going back down to trip away, stretching out, then coming back as a starter. I know that's your first start as a member in the Giants organization. It's also the first time you've started for Tony Vatello and Frank Anderson since your days at Tennessee. Was there maybe a feeling of comfort or familiarity going back into the duga after the first inning, being able to talk to Tony.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's kind of surreal. You know, that's where I started playing competitive baseball was at Tennessee, not including high school. So it's a surreal moment to be in the major leagues and playing for those guys again, and it does provide you with some comfort.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what were some of those pregame conversations like with Tony Vitello and Frank Anderson one of your pitching coaches, to guys that you're very familiar with, does it kind of cool you down and maybe ease you into the moment a little bit.
Speaker 6: I actually don't talk a whole lot on the day I've pitched, so there wasn't a whole lot of conversations.
Speaker 7: Go what what's the biggest adjustment in terms of going from being a reliever to being a starter, you know, in terms of whether it's pitch selection or repertoire or building your arm back up, or you know, how have you sort of navigated that this year?
Speaker 6: It's all been new to me because I've never really relieved until this year.
Speaker 3: So sounds like Blade might have dropped out for a quick second. We will reconnect on the UMA guest line see if John Joe Curley can make the connection with Walter scrambling behind the scenes, throwing down some signs. Feels like the PitchCom has gone out for a pitch or two here as we try to reconnect with Blade, tedwell, but Blade tell us about some of those differences, the mentality versus being a bullpen arm versus coming into the starting rotation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're a little bit different. It's new ground for me. I never relieved until this year. But going out there in the bullpen, you know, you're only gonna have a limited amount of pitches, so you can kind of let it all eat starter. You have to be a little bit more precise, think a little bit more, you know, and it's just a different There are two different things, and I enjoyed doing both.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, two totally different approaches in two different ways. That you got to get ready for a game. When you're in the bullpen, you got to get up and get hot.
Speaker 5: Talk.
Speaker 3: Take us through your game day routine. How do you like to prep for a start? Blade?
Speaker 6: Uh, usually get to the field and eat and then I put my headphone.
Speaker 3: Sounds like those headphones might have dropped off once again. Let's see if we can make this connection. J D. If you had to pitch a game, what would be your pre game mil?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 3: Are you are you a PEB and J kind of guy? Load up on pasta, litt up on some carbs.
Speaker 5: I am always on a high carb diet, so that would not change.
Speaker 7: That would not change if I were a professional athlete at a at a pitcher, I would also be a don't talk.
Speaker 5: To be guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like you definitely want to zone out a little bit those guys that are don't talk to me guys. Yeah, well, we'll talk to us about some of that mentality when you're on the bump. Is it more of a I'm just here to attack the zone. I don't care who's standing in the box. Why do you think you have that mentality where you do want to be kind of left on an island on game day? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I try to balance it, you know, because I can be a little bit over aggressive at times, so I actually have to think through a little bit like what pitch did I just throw? How did the hitter react to that? But overall, I do would want to be on the hunt every pitch, attack and the hitter.
Speaker 7: What's different about the pitching philosophy overall with the Giants maybe versus you know, the Mets organization versus maybe the way things were at Tennessee even under Tony Vitello.
Speaker 6: Well, I really didn't know a whole lot about baseball when I was at Tennessee, so I was just out there competing. And then now obviously I know a lot.
Speaker 3: Blade Tidwell is the voicy here this morning, in and out on the connection on the Umaga line. We'll try to connect one more time with Blade, as he is kind enough to give us a few minutes out in Texas this morning, talking about some of those differences between pitching out of the bullpen, pitching and the starting rotation, and the difference between pitching in different locations. To your point, JD pitching at Tennessee, pitching for the New York Mets, and then last year, almost a year ago to the day, comes over in the Tyler Rogers trade. Blade, I think we have you back on the UMA guess on this morning. We were just talking about how it's nearly a one year anniversary since you were traded from the New York Mets to the San Francisco Giants last year.
Speaker 5: Take us through that experience.
Speaker 3: What was like for you to be traded in your film one year later out from the trade deadline.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 6: Kind of wild, but the Giants did a great job of making me feel comfortable from the get go, and they actually gave me an extra day to get to the affiliate, so they made the transition.
Speaker 3: Blade, I appreciate you coming on with this morning sounds like Randam's connection issues. Maybe we'll take a rain check on this one, man. I wanted to get a full breakdown of Blade Tidwell's pitching. Arsenal went five innings last night, did not get the win as the Giants battled back multiple times in last night's game. I think there were some real flashes in last night's game, some really good moments for guys like Basab hitting another home run, Bryce Odridge coming off the bench. Blade Tidwell was one of those standouts from last night.
Speaker 5: JD.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and somebody that's going to have an opportunity right at the top of the list with a few spots in the rotation currently open for twenty twenty seven. And I you know, we talked about it with Kruco. Just the way that he battled and kind of laid it all out despite the game not getting off to maybe the start that he wanted, I think was impressive. And I think, you know, he's somebody that you definitely want to see more from here as.
Speaker 5: We move toward the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a guy that can battle through a little adversity like trying to make a connection on the Martron Market Show this morning, Man, Walter, I had some good questions lined up too. Fun fact, did you know that Blade's real name is actually Jansen spelt j A n z E N. I gotta get the origin story. But sounds like we don't have the connection anywhere, Walter, do we.
Speaker 5: No, we don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're we're gonna have the reschedule that.
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 3: Well, I apologize for the inconvenience, but once again, thank you for Blade for taking a few minutes out of your schedule. I'm sure he's gonna be a pretty busy guy over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 3: Middle name Blade, Yeah, middle name Blade, first name Jansen. I don't think that's a great I don't think I've ever met a Jansen in my life. Before you ever met a Blade. No, but at least I've seen a movie that was titled Blade. More familiar. But that's a pretty cool nickname. It is one Now, I don't know bal me Blazer. No, that's a different scene, that's a different reference. Maybe we should just pull the plug on this entire segment that was Blade tdwell in in l on the O my guest line this morning, sounds like we might need to make a better connection next time out in Texas, but we will connect with the Giants pregame show this morning at ten thirty five am.
Speaker 5: JD myself will.
Speaker 3: Take you all the way up to the award winning Diamond notes and the first pitch in Giants pregame starting at ten thirty five. We'll take a quick break, work on our phone connections and continue more Giants reaction, maybe a little forty nine er talk and Warriors talk next on The Sports Leader K andbr.
Speaker 1: The Sports Leader. All right, everyone, now back to murphin Marcus on The Sports Leader, streaming live on the Sports Leader dot com at knbr V Sports Leader app.
Speaker 8: Woohoo.
Speaker 3: Nothing like live radio on fifty thousand watts. It is the Murph and Marcus Show on a Wednesday morning.
Speaker 5: Murph smartly took three days of vacation.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he's got a better connection on the East Coast than what we just have with Blade Tidwell. Our apologies for not making the connection, but appreciate Blade Tidwell trying to take some time out of his schedule to join us this morning.
Speaker 5: It's pretty crazy, JD.
Speaker 3: In the year twenty twenty six, we just had a full interview yesterday with Tim Flannery, who literally drove to a top of a mountain to have a conversation with Murph and myself about the Wall of Fame ceremony going on this weekend. But we can't make a connection out on the field at Outland, Texas. Drop the ball on that one. But hey, Live Radio, we're giving it our best shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: We are all beholden to modern technology at every level, and sometimes it does boggle the mind how cell phones still in certain areas, even in twenty twenty six, can be as unreliable as that one wound up being. It sometimes just part of the deal, as Zakruco would say, it's say it's a big league hang with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was another haha of a Murph and Marks interview. But hopefully our listeners and everybody watching the show on YouTube and Twitch right now have a better phone connection than Blade Sidwell, because right now you've got a chance to win a pair of tickets right here on the ticket giveaway leader. Right now, we'll take one winner call number ten at four one, five, eight, nine, six Cambre and you will win two tickets to see comedian Jeff Dunham at the Mountain Winery on September nineteenth. Prize furnished by the Mountain Winery. Find official rules at the sports Leader dot com. See if you can give John Joe Curley a call and see if the connection can come through. But regardless, if we're working through some adversity in the first interview with Blade Sidwell, or it was Blade Tidwell yesterday working through some adversity in the first inning, I thought it was a nice showcase in Blade Tidwell's first career start as a member of the San Francisco Giants to get through that first inning after thirty two pitches, after some tough look to lock back in give you five innings. Sounded like he was a bit disappointed that he did not get to the sixth inning and had to put a little extra pressure on the Giants bullpen, a Giants bullpen that kept him in this game until, of course, they were walked off in the ninth inning. But overall, big picture, I think Blade Tidwell's performance yesterday and the openings in the rotation after the trade deadline shows us that we're going to see a few more opportunities down the road for Blade didwell.
Speaker 7: I think you could see from the way that he pitched last night why the Giants like him in terms of his makeup, and I think in the short time that we were able to talk to him, I think you could tell he does fit the mold of that more serious, focused, wants to hone in and be a bulldog, you know, get deep in the game type of a pitcher that, again the Giants want, led by Logan Webb, to be a part of their future pitching da as they look to kind of revamp the whole pitching within the organization and have done that here over the last month.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, and we'll see how big of a part of the plan he is moving forward and part of the bus or posey plan. Because, for those of you who are not aware, Blade Tidwell, as we talked about, was traded over nearly a year ago from the New York Mets in the Tyler Rogers trade. So as we're sitting here kind of recapping all the pitching prospects that the Giants just got earlier this week, this is a guy that you can't forget about, a guy that's going to get an opportunity, regardless if it's in the starting rotation, maybe even as a bullpen arm. This is a guy that got his first save of his career in his first appearance by the Giants this year, had that rare three inning save, showed a little bit of higher velocity earlier this year when he's coming out of the bullpen, showed some of those flashes of ninety six ninety seven, ninety eight miles per hour. Yesterday mix it into two seam four scene was ninety one ninety two getting him to ninety four ninety five. I thought he showed a a very nice slider slash sweeper.
Speaker 5: With some of that movement.
Speaker 3: Had nine whiffs on the day, ended up with three strikeouts, and is also mixing it a new change up into his arsenal as well. So something to keep an eye on as we move forward with all these Giants top pitching prospects. Another one making his debut today, Carson Wizenheim.
Speaker 5: Not his debut. What am I talking about, you fool?
Speaker 3: I've actually been at the ballpark to see the whiz kid on the bubb Hope kicking it off today ten thirty five pregame eleven thirty five first pitch. But let's talk about some of those prospects that the Giants just got at this year's trade deadline.
Speaker 5: Coming up next, we will review.
Speaker 3: Some of the Buster Posey trades, what they plan on doing, and what the future holds for the San Francisco Giants.
Speaker 5: We'll do that next on The Sports Leader, KNBRB Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the sports Leader dot com and KNBR the Sports Leader app.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I guess you can characterize it with how you want. I wouldn't necessarily say a rebuild. I mean, obviously we moved some some six major league players off of our roster today. I guess the messages is we're not satisfied with the way that we've played this year in the last few years, and we're trying everything we can to to continue to build a product that that we can all be, you know, excited to come and watch. And that was really the goal. And this is can we even if we have to subtract a little bit now, can we potentially add some players that we think our fans are going to be excited about and hopefully wear a Giant's uniform for a long time.
Speaker 3: Buster Posey earlier this week after the trade deadline, talking about whether or not you want to call this a rebuild, a retooling, a reshuffling of the major league roster and the minor league organization as well. Buster Posey phone line dependent will join us tomorrow morning at seven thirty for the Giants Executive Show, so JD and myself will have plenty of opportunities to ask Buster Posey about each and every one of these moves that he made on Monday. Even going back to Sunday night, with Tyler Mawley being the first trade piece traded away to the Atlanta Braves, Giants end up trading away six active players off the major league roster. This comes one year after they decided to trade away three different pieces off the major league roster last year. JD Murph and I were discussing this earlier. I know you're a diehard Giants fan, born and raised. I don't think I've ever seen a sell off this big in Giants' history, Like, even beyond the prospects that they got back, I think the messaging might even be bigger of the Giants finally putting their foot down and saying we're going in a certain dire.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so, although I do still think they're trying to have their cake and eat it too a little bit because it doesn't feel I think, because there are still many veterans still on the roster and projected to be everyday players Logan Web obviously still at the front of the rotation.
Speaker 5: It still doesn't feel like this is a.
Speaker 7: Rebuild to me as much as it really is for you three years down the line. But I just keep coming back to the fact that the Giant's ultimate goal is going to be to try to cobble together a team that can compete and contend in twenty twenty seven, and maybe not. Maybe the nature of what twenty twenty seven is it means you ride it out if it's a one hundred game season or an eighty game season or something, or even no season, shudder to think about that.
Speaker 5: But if it wound up being.
Speaker 7: A shorter season, maybe they would be more inclined to just ride out some of the open spots with younger players and then just take another year of the veteran players that in some ways they're stuck with and just get closer at that point to the next wave that would be upcoming. Because I do think some of these guys are going to start to be here in twenty eight and then more in twenty nine, and it feels like twenty nine, thirty and beyond that's when a lot of these guys obviously would would project to be up. So I think they're leaving themselves a little bit of flexibility as to the path at which they look to choose for twenty twenty seven based on what twenty twenty seven looks like overall in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just I'm left still feeling like, yes, they did what they could, but they could have really looked to do more. And I don't think I would have viewed it negatively had they looked to do more. But they still don't want the perception attached to them of what trading a logan web trading at jung Hulei potentially would have look like we all know what it would look like if you trade Devers or a dabis or chat then right like that.
Speaker 5: That's again those are obvious ones.
Speaker 7: But they didn't draw the line at you know, the player in my opinion, that would have netted by far the most, which is which is web and and so I again, I understand why they why they didn't look to make that move completely. We've we've well documented that, but there is still a notion of sort of keeping appearances up on the one end of competing in veteran laden while also on the back end really trying.
Speaker 5: To do the do the rebuilding.
Speaker 3: And we know that appearance matters to this organization because as bad as this team has been all season long, with the record reflecting that they're still one of the top ballparks in the country when it comes to attendance, there's still people showing up. And I would say even the attendance numbers are higher this year than in previous seasons, where maybe you're getting a better product on the field, but there wasn't that name recognition from the fan base. Now, the question is how important is name recognition. Is it more important for selling tickets or is it more important for winning ball games? Bus or Posey tried to do both. He tried to bring in guys that do have name recognition. Willie Damis, as many warts and flaws as he has, he was the best available shortstop in that offseason. So he went out and gave out the biggest contract in Giants' history, a contract that they might regret now just a few years into it. But still he went out and brought it in a name, and I would say the first couple months, the first year, even after William Domus kind of got through that slow streak last year, he turned into kind of a Giants favorite. I'd said the same thing about Jong Ho Lee, who has dealt with some issues, He's turned into a Giants favorite. They made a blockbuster trade which Giants fans were begging for, to bring in Rafael Devers. That's a box office move that sells tickets. Now they're still stuck with all these players, they'll be trying to compete. They'll still have the luxury of selling tickets. It's the problem is, I think at the end of the day, Giants fans want to see you win games. They're not concerned with their ticket sales, and you know, somewhat breaking even. I'm trying to break even. I'm trying to break a five hundred record. I'm trying to get back to the postseason. The question is can they build around these pieces, Can they fill in the rest of the roster between the contracts that they are stuck.
Speaker 7: With that's the level at which they want to go veteran at some of those spots I think is the biggest question mark in the offseason. I'm also curious, I want to get your thoughts on this, how you think it's going to work with Tony Vatello, because the other shift has been, well, Tony's built to manage young guys.
Speaker 5: It's been a nice.
Speaker 7: Little deflection pivot toward the complete opposite of what the original goal was, which is, hey, Tony's going to come in and invigorate this veteran laden team on the margins, to get this team closer to the five hundred drek that they've been essentially for the last four years coming into this year.
Speaker 5: That failed for a.
Speaker 7: Lot of reasons, which are not all or even many most attached to Tony Vitello in fairness. But on the one hand, again there's the appearance of, hey, this is a young team now, and Tony's going to manage all these young guys and this is what he's equipped to do, and you're trying to reframe I think his security on a certain level. Well, at the same time, you're still going to have a lot of veterans that are projected to be, and so how are they going to feel about this shift, even though they're going to be well paid toward an emphasis on younger players. I think in some ways the onus is going to be on Vitello, maybe even more than before, to kind of blend it all together and keep everybody harmonious.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think theoretically it makes sense that Tony would have success with younger players because of his personality, because of how much success he had at Tennessee winning ball games and as a recruiter. But I still think there's questions moving forward when it comes to credibility, because, yeah, it's nice when you have Blade Tidwell and Drew Gilbert and Gavin Keelan in the system, all guys that you coach at Tennessee, you have their respect. Now, this was a question coming into the season when it came to veterans. Of course, we had the Rafael Devers situation with the finger wag in Tampa Bay. There's been a couple other cases where maybe veteran players don't respect him as much. But my counter argument would be a lot of these rookies who are now making their debut have rode the bus in the minor leagues. They've done stuff that Tony Vitello have not done. Now, that's a fair question to ask. It was a fair question to ask nearly a year ago when they made the announcement that Tony Vitello would be the next manager of the San Francisco Giants.
Speaker 5: And that's got to be.
Speaker 3: A part of the plan, a part of the learning process, and Tony Vitello's gonna be able to adjust, or he should be able to adjust. I really don't care about the age of the players. Tony Vitello has got to be a good manager, regardless if he's coaching guys in their thirties or coaching guys in the twenties, because at the end of the day, he's the one pressing the buttons, he's the one making the calls, he's the one putting together the lineup.
Speaker 5: How do you define good manager, Bruce.
Speaker 3: Bochee, No, No, I'm riffing obviously.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean it comes down to the in game decisions.
Speaker 3: And it's a lot tougher to make these decisions at the big league level than at the college level, because when you're dealing with the college schedule, you got your Friday, Saturday, Sunday starter, you've got all your bullpen arms lined up. They can maybe pitch once twice, maybe three times in a three game weekend series. We saw earlier this year there were multiple times where Tony's running out bullpen arms two three days in a row. Keaton wins a great example, three straight games with more than twenty pitches. Next thing you know, he's on the il. So to me, maybe that's a bit of mismanagement when you're looking at him trying to coach a week long series or should I say five and six in a week sure versus three games over a weekend, Like those are just maybe some of the smaller nuances when it comes to managing a big league team compared to managing a college.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we've seen him put who you would think or maybe some of the higher leverage arms in some different situations, like we've seen like Caleb Killian had had been the closer and then he didn't perform well in the closer role, but actually had been pretty good in setup roles. But then he's coming into games when you're down five to one on a you know, on a random day, and then it's like, well, wait a minute, you might need him the next day when you're ahead four to two and the seventh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if he's a closer, why is he pitching in a non safe situation or just but or even just if he's one of your setup guys that you want to pitch primarily in games where you're ahead, why are you bringing him in when you're down five to one at all, just to get through an inning that you would be obviously a role for somebody that's maybe down more on the pecking order.
Speaker 7: That that's interesting because I think I actually think it's for this year. It's not even about in game decisions, because it's hard to say in game decisions can be how you grade him when winning and losing is really not a part of the part of the equation anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And circling back to the bigger issue of it being tough for Tony Vattelo to make those decisions of the bullpen with the bullpen that was presented to him before the season started.
Speaker 7: Also fair, also fair, So I think it's tricky, it's it's there is gonna be this sort of I don't know, mythical, uh subjective evaluation of barring them just winning a lot of games, and looking like a completely different team being more you know, led by some of these younger players as they get more opportunities, which I think we've we've seen, you know, even in this series already through two games, it's like it's probably just you know, they're gonna win some, they're gonna lose some, They're probably gonna lose more, they're gonna win, and they would project to be less talented between now and the end of the season.
Speaker 5: So I think it's interesting.
Speaker 7: But I think it's interesting how he gets evaluated because I think the shift in the narrative, so to speak, has been well, this buys him some time and buys him some security because now winning isn't important and it's more about development and things that are I think a little bit more ambiguous to be able to determine on a losing team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think the remaining games this season is not only about the development of some of the younger players, but also the development of Tony Vitello. And I'm looking to see him maybe interact more with the Bruce Bochie, a Dusty Baker guys out around the organization, Ron Washington in the dugout, like maybe he can develop as a manager as well as some of these players. Definitely a storyline that we will keep an eye on moving forward as we get closer and closer. The first pitch today at eleven thirty five, Tony Vitello did announce that Carson wasn't an is starting today. So on the other side, we will get you our Stanford Health update of the day and we will continue to prep you for today's ten thirty five pregame show and the award winning Diamond notes right here on the Murphy Markets Show with JD filling in for Murph on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Listen to V Sports Leader anytime anywhere Downloade knbr V Sports Leader app Murph and Marcus continued live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios. Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in one eight hundred gambler and the.
Speaker 4: First pitch is hit toward left down the line.
Speaker 3: It's deep paid.
Speaker 4: That baby is gone. This game is tied at two oh slaves bus save on the first pitch he sees Drives went out to left. It just and I mean just got over the wall in left field. Gilbert score And how about that? The Sabi's third home run of the year, and it's a big one. It ties the game here in the seventh and eight.
Speaker 3: Oh Slaves Basabe hotter than Wasabe his third home run in the last four games for the San Francisco Giants, and get used to hearing that name, because you might be seeing some more Basabe in your life. A lot of different names that you're gonna see moving forward. After the Giants traded away six players from the active roster earlier this week, but we do have an injury update for you on a player that was recently on the active roster. He's been inactive since July first. Now it's been over a month since we've seen Matt Chapman, so let's check in on Chappie in today's Stanford Healthcare Health Report sponsored by Stanford Healthcare and Matt Chapman, who's been dealing with that abdominal strain for over a month now. We got an update yesterday before the show Tony Vytello that Matt Chapman will be flying out the Philadelphia for another evaluation with a specialist to see how severe that abdominal strain is. Surgery is a possibility, and there is a chance that Matt Chapman doesn't return to play another game for the San Francisco Giants this season, which would obviously open up another spot in this infield after the Giants traded away Luisa Rise and Casey Schmidt was shut down with a knee injury not too long ago. And that JD was our Stanford Healthcare Health Report sponsored by Stanford Healthcare. And I should tell you that you are listening to canbyr Am and Camb from San Francisco The Sports Leader, a Cumulus Media station. It feels like it's been quite some time since we've even talked about Matt Chapman. I know there was some rumblings about maybe him being a trade candidate with teams looking for a right handed bag and as streaky of a hit or that Matt Chapman is, we know how good the glove is defensively over on the hot corner. But with Casey Schmidt's kind of emergence before the injury, there were talks about maybe moving on from Matt Chapman. Sounds like Matt Chapman's not moving anywhere besides Philadelphia. The go see a specialist. I don't know, do you think that John should just shut it down and let the young kids play at this point, or do you think Matt Chapman has anything to prove by trying to come back this year.
Speaker 7: I don't think there's anything to prove. I think you want to make sure that you're healthy for next year. You also want to make sure that that should there come an opportunity to move him, if you can find in the offseason maybe a spot for him that he would accept with the trade the no trade clause. I think that's the pivot that you have to try to move to. So to me, at this point, with wins and losses and player you know, wins and losses, not party equation, player development a bigger part of the equation.
Speaker 5: Shut him down at this point.
Speaker 7: Let him, Let him make sure that he's healthy and good to go heading into the offseason, because any kind of lingering injury question would completely eliminate the prospect of being able to move him, whether that's an off season conversation or should it be some kind of an injury that ends up lingering into next year or coming back. So if you have the ability to knock that injury out, you gotta do it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a similar situation not apples to apples, and it seems a little bit severe now with Matt Chapman, that with Willia Domas, who has been dealing with this back injury all season long, so much so to the point where he was just caught out by the Apple broadcast last Friday for not being available to work with Ron Washington on his defensive skill set as much as maybe Ron Washington or even Williadamas would prefer.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: Susan Slusser, a good friend from the San Franisco Chronicle, dropped an article and said, look, Willia Damas wants to work with Wash, but the back injury has been hampering and limiting some of those opportunities. It's kind of been one of the biggest question marks as Ron Washington has been able to revamp essentially everybody defensively turned Luise Rise into a GOL gov candidate. We know about the work with Matt Chapman, but Bryce Olvid, Rafael Devers, they've taken strides this year defensively as well. Willie Domas has not taken those strides. But circling back to the back injury, if this is a back injury that's been lingering on so much for WILLI Domas to the Giants entertain the thought process of maybe shunning him down.
Speaker 7: I think at some point they may very well look to do that, And again, no problem with it if the player is on board with it and it's something that can be calmed down. That would lead toward the belief that you're going to have a greater ability to be productive for next year. And look, they've got a decision to make on Adamis in terms of what position they're going to have him play next year because Luisa Rise is now gone onto Philadelphia, and so that opens the door. And I know we were mapping it out earlier, kind of going around the horn, you.
Speaker 5: Would project Susack.
Speaker 7: I would agree, I've come over to your side on that, and that you project Susack to be the ca at your you know, you know it's Devers and it's gonna be Eldridge first base, DH. You don't really know second base right now for the time being. Shortstop would be Adamas, third base Chapman, but you might move Adamas to second. If you do that, you need a shortstop and there's a hole there, and then what do you do in left field? I think Casey Schmid ends up filling one of those spots also, and then do you have your everyday center fielder in the mix in addition to that for next year. So there are spots that are open that are going to be filled, But there are also some question marks I think as it relates to where will Willy Adamas specifically play next year.
Speaker 3: And that's the intriguing thing with this team moving forward. After the trade deadline, I know that there were a lot of Giants fans who wanted to see the contract of Willie Domas or even Matt Chapman, or.
Speaker 5: Even throw Rafael Devers.
Speaker 3: Is that conversation of guys you wanted to move at this year's trade deadline, But it takes two to tango. You can't force another team to take on the contract. Now you do have the option of maybe buying down some of the contract, and that's going to be an option for the Giants this offseason moving forward. But to your point, after the quote fire cell earlier this week, there are still maybe seven guys who expect to see back in this Giants line up last year, from Sussac to Devers to Eldridge to a Domis to Chapman to jung Houli. Casey Schmidt is going to fill in at either left field or at second base.
Speaker 5: So really you're looking at.
Speaker 3: Two spots maybe being open left field and centerfield like like that.
Speaker 5: That's running back a lot of the same roster for.
Speaker 3: A team that's been eighteen nineteen games under five hundred the entire season and really has been a letdown for the preseason expectations.
Speaker 7: No doubt, and so that that's a lot to That's a lot to navigate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a lot to navigate.
Speaker 7: And look, I think the Giants are trying to do the best they can in terms of the future part of it. As far as the three to four years down the line future, the question is going to become how much of the how much of the twenty twenty six immediate future can they look to correct and upon for twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's the question, even if there is a season in.
Speaker 7: Twenty twenty seven and look in maybe and maybe In fairness, again, not that they get credit for this, but it sort of works both ways in the sense that you know, one could say, hey, if you don't believe there's going to be a twenty twenty seven, then maybe you could have been more app to lean in and go harder at the trade deadline and maybe trade another veteran or two that was in the tradeable category.
Speaker 5: The flip side to that, though, is.
Speaker 7: Stan pat and know that maybe if there's a lesser year, next year's kind of inconsequential. No matter what, You're a year closer to where maybe some of these younger players are going to be actually on your roster, and you sort of stop gap it and oh, by the way, and this is a point that I think people don't always a shorter season benefits a team that projects to not be as good a short I think a shorter season like you could there are teams that maybe aren't built for one sixty two. Like like, if there's an if you tell me there's an eighty game season next year, the Giants have got a hell of a better chance next year of being in contention in an eighty game season that starts July first.
Speaker 3: Now would you say that's because of the length of the starting rotation, not having to eat any more innings, or what's a reason in behind that.
Speaker 7: I just think it's the I just think you can you see teams all the time that are that hang into five you know, are in and around five hundred for half a year that at some point fall off the map. Now, look, this year, it wouldn't have mattered because they fall off the map at the beginning. I mean, it's not a guarantee. I'm just saying you've got a better chance with fewer game The more you have to play, the more your flaws get exposed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the more of an opportunity for things to fall apart.
Speaker 7: Well, the more the longer the season, the more things get exposed. And whether it's the beginning of the year or whenever, but I do think a shorter year.
Speaker 5: I mean again, look at look at twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: That twenty twenty Giants weren't good, but they were a game out of a playoff spot. Yeah, twenty nine and thirty one. Yeah, and look that might be an extreme version of it, but that team wasn't any good.
Speaker 5: No, and and it and it, and they were awful at the beginning of that year too.
Speaker 7: I think they're eight and sixteen twenty four games in and then played much better to have a.
Speaker 3: Shot, Yeah, and that always hides some of your problems when you think you have a shot at the end of the season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so if you're trying to cobble it together for you know, for a for a who knows kind of a year, the short season.
Speaker 5: Again, I don't think the short season hurts the Giants at all. You don't.
Speaker 7: You know, you don't have to you don't have to pay guys that aren't playing, you know, if there's a lockout and a labor dispute, like you're you're still going to be developing a lot of these guys in the in the lower minor. Like it just it's kind of a you know, it sucks from a fans standpoint, because we all want to see baseball, and we all want to we all want to talk baseball. But but I think from an organizational stand point, it's sort of it's sort of one you can take for the greater good of being closer to where you think you're going to be significantly better. Yeah, right time on if you're trying to run out the clock essentially towards the time in which all these prospects come up that everybody's so high on, well a year that doesn't mean as much or matter as much from that standpoint. Or a year where you maybe don't maybe you could get by with not being as good as you'd have to be in one hundred and sixty two.
Speaker 5: That's an added benefit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you're a year closer to the names like a Bo Davison or a Gavin Keeling or any of these prospects that you think can maybe make an impact in a year or two and maybe line up with that Bryce Eldridge timeline. And I think, circling back to the trade deadline, I think that's one of the reasons why they decided to part ways with a guy like Ellie Ramos, despite the fact that he was under three years of team control. You take away a year potentially due to the lockout. I know we're doing a lot of speculation, but that takes a year of team control away. But I also think this is a Giants organization that is obviously a lot more confident in their bats, not only at the big league level, but throughout the minor league systems as well, which is why you're willing to part on from a guy like Elliott Ramos to bring in Henry Lalani from the New York Yankees, to maybe move some bats, to bring in some more arms, because it's not a secret the Giants need more pitching if they're gonna compete with these three contracts on the roster, with Junghuli and with Logan Web.
Speaker 5: Guess what. They need help. They need help in the starting rotation.
Speaker 3: They need help in the bullpen badly, which is why you bring in some of these prospects. It's always a lottery ticket when you're talking about prospects in general. But you throw enough guards at the wall, you're hoping that some of them stick, regardless if that's in the starting rotation or in the bullpen. They need arms. They need arms badly, and I think that's why they were willing to trade some of the bats in some of the expiring contracts, like Elliot Ramos or even a Luis Rice.
Speaker 7: I think you're spot on, I mean, and they use the opportunity to revamp in areas in which they thought Elliott Ramos didn't fit necessarily into the future plans as a hitter and it is an everyday player, and I think his defense is part of that as much as he was a great teammate and somebody that was liked within that clubhouse. So yeah, they're trying to reset the pitching depth at a minimum, but I think the pitching talent at a maxiwall. Like we pitching depth, pitching depth, pitching depth. You hear that thrown around all the time. Give me some pitching. You need pitching depth, not poo poo in that, but give me pitching talent. And like, I'm more focused on the talent projected of these guys, which on paper, again by those in the know, they're talented dudes.
Speaker 3: And I think that's one of the biggest differences. As we were talking about earlier this morning, with the Giants going out last year at the trade deadline, seemed like they got maybe more quantity than quality with some of the prospects that they picked up. Now, Blade Tidwell was one of those examples that got the start last night. We talked to him for a few seconds earlier today on the show, but he was a guy that was a second round draft pick. It seems like some of these prospects this year are even more highly regarded than a Blade Tidwell or some of the arms.
Speaker 5: That you picked up the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: Definitely, and that's the thing you need, Like, if we all have this pipe dream of eventually competing with the Dodgers and the Padres and the Cubes and the Brewers and some of the top teams in the National League. Guess what you need more than just guys that are gonna fill in as a four or the five in the rotation.
Speaker 5: You need a top of the end starter.
Speaker 3: You need an ace to pair up with Logan Web in case you ever do get back to a postseason series.
Speaker 7: Yes, although that then that begs the question, where's logan Web at that point when when you have that, which I think that the timelines could be off. Time will tell on that, but I think it's more likely than not the timelines are off on that. Even if even if you want logan Web to be on your roster, maybe at that point logan Web's a three that you like pitching in big games. I mean, there's plenty of threes and fours that pitch one in big games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which was interesting When I'm talking like twenty twenty nine thirty. Then we're getting down the road, and Logan Web does have two more years left in his contract, but yeah, even down but it was interested in that. Buzzer Posy said that he expects them to be competitive in the next two years with logan Web on the roster.
Speaker 5: But what else.
Speaker 7: But that's but you have to say that if you're going to keep him, because again the reason you were going to keep him over not was because the messaging would have been if you trade him that you're quitting on next year, that you're waving the white flag. You're quitting on next year, you're waving the wife flag. You're expecting to be completely fully developmental on next year.
Speaker 5: May that was the whole note.
Speaker 7: That was I mean, in some way, that's the only reason you don't trade him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's a problem because you could have got a pretty big trade package back in return if you did make that decision.
Speaker 5: Giants did not make that decision.
Speaker 3: And when you're stuck with these contracts, you need pictures like logan Web to maybe help you compete.
Speaker 7: But you're not in my opinion, again, maybe we disagree on this. In my opinion, you're not keeping logan Web into twenty twenty six because you want him to be part of your rotation in twenty thirty with these other dudes like that, Like that's that's too far.
Speaker 5: A bridge from me.
Speaker 3: That would be what a thirty two, thirty three year old logan web, which I wouldn't put him past them, but it would be past maybe his prime peak age as a pitcher in Major league bags.
Speaker 5: And that's what I'm saying. That's the timeframe that I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Maybe he's like a three at that point, a two or a three.
Speaker 5: That would be a guy you would wanted to begay.
Speaker 3: And maybe that's also worth the experience he brings to the rotation and maybe help some of these young pubs maybe take advantage of the art.
Speaker 7: If the other guys are loaded enough to to have that be the case, then it could work. Like it's there's no absolute in saying that it wouldn't work.
Speaker 5: I just think that the timeline for me.
Speaker 7: On this, which is why I was so adamant and that I would look to move him, doesn't seem to fit.
Speaker 5: It fits the it fits the.
Speaker 7: Desired to call yourself competitive and not wave the white flag for the next two years.
Speaker 5: It fits that.
Speaker 7: It doesn't fit the we want this guy to lead a rotation full of the guys that they've just acquired here in the last month.
Speaker 3: You're saying the math ain't math, and well, no math has added up for the Giants this year, forty eight and sixty six on the season. But we'll see if guys like Carson Wizna, who's starting today's game, will have a chance, so maybe claim one of these rotation spots moving forward. But let's get outside of the Giants for a minute. Big debuts around the league with some new Giants in new places and Scooble making his Dodger debut. Let's go around the league before we start pregame at ten thirty five this morning with your award winning Diamond Notes. It's JD, John Dickinson, and Marcus Bouchet on the Murphy Marcus Show on The Sports Leader AMBRB Sports Leader