Speaker 1: All right, it's postgame wrap time, and obviously that one was tough to watch. It's not often in this franchise, I mean, the Giants have been playing for 144 years, that we stand here together after a game and say, well, that had never happened in Giants history. That's the biggest blown lead in the ninth inning in the history of the Giants. That had never happened before today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Makes me want to puke.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's tough on you. I mean, that's, I think, one of the loudest boos I've ever heard from Giants fans after that game. But Kite made a point over on the television side that, you know, the last two days, your starters didn't get it out of the second inning. Your bullpen's eating up 16-plus. It's August. These guys are, you know, sitting five days away from where they can expand the roster and bring in another arm.
Speaker 1: And, I mean.
Speaker 2: It showed up in the ninth inning. There's some tired arms out there. And unfortunately, it just didn't go their way. But it was quick. Home run, walk, walk, home run. I mean, I guess it was base hit, walk, walk, home run, grand slam. Suarez, I didn't see it coming. None of us saw it coming. I'm thinking, they've got this. They've got it. And lo and behold, they did.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow. And I do think it's a factor, the fatigue. I mean, Dylan Smith, that was nowhere close to his good stuff. That was a shell of himself. And whether that's being pushed hard on the road trip and then pitching on Monday night and then warming up today an inning before and sitting back down or just the accumulation of it all, that's not the Dylan Smith we've seen.
Speaker 3: And, man, in a lot of ways, maybe you don't use the personnel you would normally use because of what's happened the last two days. Yeah. I mean, there's still no excuse, but there can be reasons why it could and it did happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a factor.
Speaker 1: Six runs, you should be able to, no matter who's out there, you should be able to get three outs and not give up six runs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't walk anybody. A couple of bun hits, wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I remember doing a game where they were called the Cleveland Indians at the time. And they were playing the Seattle Mariners. And the Mariners won 116 games the year that this game happened. And the Mariners were ahead 14-2 in the seventh inning at Cleveland. And Cleveland won the game. They scored 12 runs in the last three innings, including five in the ninth inning. And then won it in the tenth inning. The greatest comeback, I think the last time anything even close to that had happened was 1925. But the story I remember from that game is the Mariners had a great closer. Well, they're ahead 14-2. He's already taken his stuff off. He's left the bullpen. He's back in the clubhouse. And then they call him in the top of the ninth inning. Now it's 14-9. And they said, you're not.
Speaker 1: In the bullpen.
Speaker 4: You've got to get out to the bull.
Speaker 3: He says, what for?
Speaker 4: He says, well, we might need you.
Speaker 2: It's 14-9.
Speaker 3: He says, 14-9?
Speaker 4: Well, he had checked out of that game. He was not only getting dressed for the road to go to the airport, but mentally he had checked out. And all the things, and you know way more about this than I do, Mike, but all of the mental things you prepare yourself for when you're going to come into a game. That was all gone. He checked out. And I felt like that was something that, and he's not a long-time closer, but Dylan Smith, He knew he.
Speaker 2: Wasn't coming into this game.
Speaker 4: It's 9-3, ninth inning. And all of a sudden, he's in.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what happens. I mean, you have it in your mind that this game is over. The verdict has been decided. It's in the win column. And, you know, if you're an adrenaline guy, a seventh, eighth, or ninth inning guy, you know, you're just, you kind of let it, let your edge sort of dissolve. And, I mean, I don't know. We saw it this year where the Giants were down 9-1 and they won a game. So, I mean, anymore, what's safe? Crazy game, historical game in a wrong way.
Speaker 1: This one evens out with that one, that wild one against the Nationals. All right, we'll pick players after this. All right, postgame wrap part two, we're picking players. I think it's my turn to go first.
Speaker 2: Lead on, Red Ryder.
Speaker 1: I'm cheating here because I do feel like there are a lot of other good candidates. I'm taking the Cox-Gilbert-Centerfield combo. Can I steal two guys at once?
Speaker 2: Yes, you can.
Speaker 3: As long as you do it quickly.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good combo right there.
Speaker 1: A home run, a bases-clearing double.
Speaker 3: I think it's perfect.
Speaker 1: That right there is a blueprint for next year. Have those two guys do that together.
Speaker 3: Love watching them both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. I'm going with those two.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: The center fielders.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 2: All right. Well done.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: I'm going Rafael Devers. I like guys who hit home runs every day during a homestand and hit one into the water.
Speaker 2: What, four home runs in.
Speaker 4: The last five games? He's my guy, Rafael Devers.
Speaker 2: Okay, good pick. Well, I'm going to take Logan Webb because he gave them innings that they needed. They had a tired bullpen. He went six after start. First couple through three innings, he threw a lot of pitches, but he got through the sixth. That's a pro. That's an ace. Logan Webb.
Speaker 1: He can't believe he didn't get a win out of that, I'm sure, right now.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable he can't get a win out of that. Good pick, Mike. Kite?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll take the kid at second. You know, he hits his first home run in a Giants uniform. But I also like the way Hill has been playing and played today, too.
Speaker 2: Whitcomb and Hill. You can take them both.
Speaker 3: I'll take them both.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good picks.
Speaker 1: Good. What's on deck sponsored by your California Ford dealers? Okay, well, the Diamondbacks come in. What are the Giants, 1-8 against the Diamondbacks this year? So try to rest up and get ready for tomorrow. Diamondbacks, two great wins the last couple days. They're only a game out of a playoff spot, so they're going to come in here with a lot of purpose for four games in three days. Tomorrow.
Speaker 3: They ain't seen this team yet.
Speaker 1: The first eight innings, Giants team, if that shows up tomorrow, they're going to give the Diamondbacks a big-time fight.
Speaker 3: 26 innings were great. Exactly. Exactly. Exactly. One inning.
Speaker 2: Ruined it. Ruined it. Yeah. They'll be ready.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow night, Landon Roop on the mound.
Speaker 2: What's on deck?
Speaker 1: Sponsored by your California Ford dealers and the legendary Ford F-150 truck. Visit buyfordnow.com today to find yours.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: John is going to have some highlights right after this.