Speaker 1: And we continue at two five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Weggs and Culver City.
Speaker 2: Here we are, John, just a couple of days before the end of election season, and California voters are finally in the double digits with twelve percent of ballots return. The city of Oakland is at eight percent. Let's see how the city of la is doing, because they just put an update out about an hour ago. I get these updates texted to my phone. Let's go to the city of Los Angeles and see how many ballots have been turned in, because this is the race that everyone's paying attention to. With Spencer Pratt ten percent.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's just pick a few cities here and see which cities are performing better than others. Let's start out with Danville, which is an affluent, white collar portion of the East Bay in northern California. How are they doing compared to the state numbers?
Speaker 2: All right, in Danville, California, DA. And where is dan Where is Danville? I'm not saying Danville. Is Danville a city?
Speaker 3: It is? I mean I've heard n Creek that's nearby.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's try Walnut Creek all the way at the bottom of the list. You know, Danville might be unincorporated. Let's see Walnut Creek. You say Walnut Creek in the East Bay. Sometimes you have to click on it twice. Come on, give me Walnut Creek. Everyone, give me Walnut Creek. Walnut Creek is at nineteen percent of ballots returned, way above the average.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they're doing pretty good at Walnut Creek. Let's check a town in Orange County. How about Huntington Beach. That's a very politically active city, a big city in Orange County, certainly one that frequently pops up in the news on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: How is turnout there?
Speaker 2: Let's check in Orange County in Huntington Beach. The current turnout numbers are nineteen percent.
Speaker 1: All right, they're doing pretty good. Now, Let's check one in the Inland Empire. How about Rancho Mirage right outside of Palm Springs.
Speaker 2: All right, the city of Rancho Mirage got to hit it twice, because that's the way this app works. But we're scrolling down to the RS and we go to Rancho Mirage and we're at twenty nine percent.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: All right, what portion of the electorate in Rancho Mirage is in sixty five plus.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent? And then me it's actually eighty percent.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's how turnout is looking statewide. And Randy, a whole bunch of polls just dropped, not just for the gubernatorial race, but the LA Mayor's race as well.
Speaker 2: And for more on these polls, we go to NBC LA.
Speaker 4: So new polls are sizing up races for California governor and LA mayor and the results take a look at this may surprise you. For the mayor's race, challengers Nithia Rahman and Spencer Pratch closed the gap dramatically on Mayor Karen bass.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much according to this latest poll. And there hasn't been a lot of polling in the LA Mayor's race, but the latest poll shows pretty much all three top candidates within the margin of each other, which is dangerous because a flip of a coin could cost you being on the November ballot. Well, and here's what's interesting, at least according to this poll, this poll has Karen Bassett like twenty five, and then Nitia and Spencer Prattle like a twenty two and twenty one. The other Socialist in the race, Ray Huang, who is the other DSA member, She's we got nine percent. So if she wasn't in this race, is it possible that Nythia would be the front runner.
Speaker 1: It also goes to show you what kind of uphill climb Spencer Pratt would have if he makes the November ballot, because he's going to have to go out and get votes that went to other candidates in the primary. And if other candidates in the primary who are generating support are to the left of Nythia Rahmen, that's going to be a tall order.
Speaker 4: We have Team Courage for more context and reaction to these new poll results. Want to check in with NBC force Cornan Nolan and the race for La mayor Conan to talk about it. Change here, Nythia Rahman, way up. Now, what does this tell you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, in that race and the race for governor are very interesting. These are two highly respected polls. In one that race for governor appears to be cementing. However, the other pole indicates the race for mayor of La has never been closer and could be an election day jump ball. Now, first, the survey, which is.
Speaker 2: Damned funny for a race that is an incumbents race.
Speaker 1: It goes to show you how everyone, well mostly everyone, seems to understand that Karen bass is a complete train wreck.
Speaker 5: Now, first, the survey from the Public Policy Institute of California. Former HHS Secretary Javier Vsera now in first place, three points ahead of Republican Steve Hilton, and more importantly for Vissera, eight points in front of rival Tom Steyer, the billionaire candidate.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and thirteen million dollars buys you third place.
Speaker 3: But all of these candidates, statistically speaking, are within the margin of era of one another, which means that race is right now a three way tie.
Speaker 5: Billionaire climate activists has spent over two hundred million dollars on his campaign. Styr seems to have stalled, which is why he released two more new negative campaign adds today in the effort to draw down Bessera's numbers.
Speaker 6: But in the race for mayor of la.
Speaker 2: You know, there's all these strategists who are you, coming up of all kinds of idiot theories and social media, and they're all pretty much saying, now, what Styer should have done instead of buying all these anti bisera ads is he should have bought a bunch of ads elevating Bianco.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was the play for him.
Speaker 2: If he would have done that, It's very possible that it could have been a double d.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: It goes to show you how Silicon Valley screwed up to because Silicon Valley should have done ads lifting Bianco up, and they should have done ads lifting Viera Gosa up and Mayhan. So you end up with a Democratic lockout on the November ballot. Once it became clear that Mayhan wasn't going to work out, they needed to pivot and move on to Plan B. And Silicon Valley never moved on to Plan B. They just kept doubling down on Matt Mayhan even when it became obvious that he wasn't going to get elected. But poor Mayhan, that common sense got you nowhere.
Speaker 5: But in the race for mayor of la it is stunned City Hall. This poll by the Center for Governmental Studies at UC Berkeley, sponsored by The La Times, support for Mayor Karen Bass seems to have stalled, and that Councilwoman Nitia Raman has recovered from her uneven debate performance.
Speaker 2: That's a very nice way to put it. You are in the room Conan, and.
Speaker 6: It's just a point behind.
Speaker 5: Spencer Pratt, the former reality TV star who has waged a remarkable viral video campaign, is within striking distance at twenty two percent, and if you factor in the three percent margin of air, frankly, all three may have a legitimate claim to first place.
Speaker 2: It is very possible. There are several different possibilities here. One, Karen Bass could be in the runoff but not be the top vote getter. But it is also very possible if you look at this poll, that Karen Bass could get knocked out on Tuesday because it could be Basen Ramen. Excuse me, you could be Spencer Pratt and Ramen.
Speaker 1: That is a possibility, and it's also a possibility that it could take us a month to realize that's what happened.
Speaker 3: That'll be fun, of course.
Speaker 5: The goal is to survive to the general election by finishing in one of the two top spots. Dan Schnerd teaches political communication at USC and cal Berkeley.
Speaker 3: Let's remember how boy everyone is doing statewide. Now.
Speaker 2: You can't just do one school, you gotta do two. You can't just do one radio station. You gotta do two.
Speaker 7: Let's remember how extraordinary a situation it is when an incumbent mayor an incumbent office holder is drawing less than thirty percent of the polls.
Speaker 2: Well, you say extraordinary, But this same scenario happened with Eric Adams up in New York very recently, like last year.
Speaker 1: Well, and it happened in LA with Jim Hahn. Remember when he ran for reelection and he was wildly unpopular. He did make it to the November ballot, but he got blown out by Via Ragosa when he ran in the general.
Speaker 7: Bass's poll numbers have not moved at all over the last several weeks, which means.
Speaker 2: Well, and if you start in a lowe number and you're the known entity, that's not good, no.
Speaker 1: Because people understand that she's a complete and total train.
Speaker 7: Wrack, which means that there is a very heart.
Speaker 2: It was different in twenty twenty two. Both Bass and Caruso were unknown entities, and she could claim that she had all this experience that would serve her in the job. But now we've had three and a half years of this.
Speaker 8: If you're feeling down, if you're feeling blue, let's get.
Speaker 2: Help for you and She could say all she wants that she's cut homelessness down, nobody believes it. She could say crime is down, nobody believes it. And under her watch the ten Freeway melted and the Palisades was destroyed.
Speaker 1: And no one went to jail for melting the freeway even though it was done on tape.
Speaker 7: Which means that there is a very hard ceiling on her level of support and a very broad dissatisfaction with her time in office. Bass is still a slight favorite to make it into the runoff against either Ramed.
Speaker 2: It would be as much as I don't want to see a Ramen versus Pratt, because I think Ramen would be a much more disastrous mayor than the one we currently have. There is something that would be so delicious about Karen Bass finding out that she's getting fired in November.
Speaker 3: In June.
Speaker 1: Well, and it also wouldn't be without president I mean, don't forget you mentioned Eric Adams. Okay, well, there was another complete disaster democrat mayor of a big city, Chicago, when that gremlin was mayor, and then she got voted out, But she got voted out by another socialist, Brandon Johnson.
Speaker 7: Against either rama On or Pratt, but it wouldn't be extraordinarily surprising this point if she were to finished third and missed the runoff altogether.
Speaker 3: This was Spencer Pratt. That would be a political earthquake, and by the way, she would deserve it.
Speaker 5: This was Spencer Pratt in front of Tom Yamas on nightly News.
Speaker 9: We're done with these experienced politicians and living under what that means.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, Pratt was doing a media blitz in New York yesterday. I think he did Fox and Friends and Jake Tapper and NBC News and probably five other things that I haven't seen yet. I don't have a big and we're like three days from the election. Where's Karen Bess She's nowhere to be seen.
Speaker 3: Did you see, by the way, that Bessarah had a rally in West Hollywood yesterday and they only had ten people show up. Yeah, I'm very dubious about all of this Besara support because you listen to him speak, there is nothing inspiring about him, not a thing.
Speaker 9: I don't have a big pitch because I'm doing it as an Angelina who's had enough.
Speaker 5: Well, once again, the talk has been who does mayor Karen Bass want as her fall opponent now. Based on this poll, Karen Bass is in the fight just to make the top two and to finish so she can fight to live, to fight another day in November.
Speaker 6: This race is a toss up back to.
Speaker 4: You, it certainly is Conan. Thank you so much for that. Lalita Lopez continues our coverage. She's out in West Hollywood tracking the governor's race. Lalita jaber Vesera held an event there today.
Speaker 3: He's leading. This is the event you were talking about ten people.
Speaker 1: There were more members of the media at his event than supporters who were showing up to hear him speak.
Speaker 4: Luita kabir Vesere held an event there today. He's leading the governor's poll and he's urging everyone to cast their ballot.
Speaker 2: Now and remember leading the same way that Karen Bass is leading twenty five. I know there's a lot of candidates, but still twenty five percent support means seven twenty five percent of the people that are pulled look at Besserah and they say nope, yeah, Annabel.
Speaker 8: That is really the main message out here with every vote is really really going to count. Take great.
Speaker 2: You think that guy's revving up on purpose because he sees the news van. Probably I'm going to turn on the YouTube, lad, and I'm gonna see my car reving up right behind her.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a Nie slapper.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Annabel, that is really the main message out here. But every vote is really really going to count. Take for example, in the lasses.
Speaker 2: Seriously, you're revving your car like that with gas prices as high as they are, you are burning so much oil.
Speaker 3: Okay, back to the story.
Speaker 8: For example, in the last statewide primary election, only twenty eight percent of voters here in La County came out to vote. So really, every vote is really going to be crucial in this very close governor's race influencing book.
Speaker 3: That's right, the primary.
Speaker 2: Forget the governor's race, but the primary in La the one between Karen Bass and Rick Caruso and Kevin Dallyone's hot as hell and all the other people that were running. Only twenty eight percent people paid attention and voted in the June primary.
Speaker 1: Turnout is so pathetic in this state. And I keep saying this to Republicans. I understand that there are more Democrats than Republicans in this state, and that's the primary reason that Democrats win statewide elections. However, Republicans turnout is almost as bad as Democratic turnout. If Republicans would just fill out their ballots and turn them in, Republicans could win things here and there.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a perfect number that we have right now in the city of Los Angeles, a few days before the election is over. Of two point two million ballots that went out, two hundred and fifteen thousand have been returned. Ten percent of that is Democrats, fourteen percent of that is republic weekends, to which means of the three hundred and twenty six thousand Republicans that can vote in this election, only forty four thousand half.
Speaker 3: That's pathetic. With Spencer Proud out there busting his ass to try to save the city, the least you can do is fill out that ballot and turn it in.
Speaker 2: The no party preferencers don't pay attention anyway. Of these six hundred and sixty eight thousand of them, only forty five thousand have voted. And yes, I finally voted yesterday.
Speaker 8: So really every vote is really going to be crucial in this very close governor's race. Influencing voters. That is the first question I asked jo Ba said out.
Speaker 10: For me, it's not about talking about inflated promises. It's about talking how I have a record of experience. If I tell you I'm going to increase the number of homes and a housing that we build, is because I have experience doing these.
Speaker 3: He is so generic, he is so bland, He has nothing.
Speaker 1: I can't believe there are people who are voting for this because guess what, when an earthquake happens, when a fire happens, when there's a flood, this moron is going to be in charge of the state. So don't get upset when the next round of flood aid or earthquake aid or fire aid goes to nonprofits and buddies of his or people who are robbing him blind. And he doesn't even know about it, because guess what, there will be no money for you.
Speaker 8: Haavi Ebasetta says he has dealt with large butty.
Speaker 2: Does it benefit Gavin Newsom if he's running for president and whoever takes over for him as governor as a total disaster on day one.
Speaker 1: Well, it could cut both ways. He could be replaced by Bessera, and then California is going to be a dumpster fire and people are going to point at what kind of condition the state is in and say, why would you want the nation to look like that? And it could hurt him. He could also see it wasn't this bad when I was governor, So I did something right.
Speaker 2: I mean, if Gavin and Javier are sitting at the bar, Bessera's the ugly friend, that's true.
Speaker 8: Havevier. Bassetta says he has dealt with large budgets even greater than California's, and confronted the Trump administration in his past roles as US Secretary of Health and Human Services, former congressman, and former California Attorney General, all issues at the forefront on voters' minds today Today, he took his Basara tour to Mickey's Bar in West Hollywood, hosted by the advocacy group Equality California. Bassetta has a record of supporting the LGBTQ plus community, including.
Speaker 2: How many pluses showed up? How can this not make the report?
Speaker 1: Everyone on social media was commenting on the fact that ten people showed up.
Speaker 8: Voting against the Defensive Marriage Act as a congressman and defending LGBTQ plus and civil rights in court when he was the state's attorney general. Among the discussion in this current race, California law on transgender student athletes allowing them to compete based on their gender identity. I asked, but Sarah, if he supports this.
Speaker 10: We want to make sure that we protect people's rights under the law.
Speaker 2: I'm going to make sure, boy, we are really saying nothing. Of course, this is an issue that you don't want to touch with a ten foot pall.
Speaker 1: Okay, but he's on the wrong side of an eighty twenty issue. He's taking the position that transgendered athletes should be able to compete with women. Why in the world are you campaigning on this in the eleventh hour of an election, an issue that you know is unpopular, and this is what you're beating the drum on. And by the way, no one showed up to hear it. There were ten people there. How did that not make the report.
Speaker 10: We want to make sure that we protect people's rights under the law. I'm going to make sure I protict everyone, including transgender uh California's rights under the law, and that's the way it should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is the emptiest suit that I have ever seen in California politics.
Speaker 3: And that is saying something he's an off the rack suit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, and Bassida is leading in that latest pool. But this is a very tight gubernatorial race. Many candidates they're vying for that position. You can find out more about them on our website NBCLA dot com.
Speaker 2: I mean, if we go in to report the results on Tuesday and we actually have results that we can report on Tuesday, and the number one vote getter is Javier Besera, with all the other people, forget Democrat or a Republican. There are plenty of qualified Democrats that were on that list. Well, then it's true the drop that we play all the time of the average California voter.
Speaker 11: No, I don't know enough to give you any good information, but good luck finding someone who does.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number. What eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: And Randy.
Speaker 1: We're about twenty five minutes away from the start of the weekend. There will be no live shows on Saturday or Sunday, but if you want to listen to us, that you can do.
Speaker 2: There's no live show Saturday or Sunday, but there's gonna be like five hour blocks where you're just gonna hear best of of this show.
Speaker 3: So that's fun. Sometimes we have that on the weekend.
Speaker 2: But search for The John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts. I can't emphasize this enough. We really really appreciate it when you subscribe to the podcast, whether it's on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Spotify, or the platform that everyone is using now for podcasting YouTube.
Speaker 11: Google on YouTube.
Speaker 2: You can do us and subscribe to the Cumulus News Talk channel on YouTube by going to YouTube dot com slash at Cumulus news Talk. Every single hour that we do gets posted there. And let me just tell you it's going to be a very good idea in the future that you're already subscribed to that channel. So search for The John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcast. You can also, of course get the app that we have, the KABC app or the KSFO app, even the KMJ now app because we are on the big KMJ Saturdays at noon. Oh you know what, let's let me find out real quick, What do I have for the KMJ audience? Coming up on tomorrow's show at noon. Tomorrow is May thirtieth, twenty twenty six, and they're getting Julie Watson's interview with Tom Steyer. That was a fun one. Oh yeah, So check that out.
Speaker 1: And if you want to take a look at my ballad, it's up on the website at KABC dot com and KSFO dot com and Randy, you can also join us on Election Night.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be here for noon to three on Election Day. I'm also going to be here from five to six on Election Day, and then we're coming back seven to nine pm on Election Night on seven ninety KABC, eight ten KSFO and five eighty KMJ Live and statewide giving you all the election results starting at seven o'clock.
Speaker 3: The polls close at eight.
Speaker 2: Every race that we can give you, we'll give you all the updates as they happen in real time. We'll be joined by our friends Frank Motech of seven ninety KABC and Phil Teresi of KMJ and some other special guests. So hang out with us on Election Night from seven to nine pm. If you want to have like CNN on in the background. Keep it on, but just keep the sound off. We're more interesting.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's go to Dave and Whittier.
Speaker 12: Dave, Hello, Okay, can you hear me? Okay, yes, can you hear Okay? Three points. I believe that Gassia's only head because of the immigration issue. And then Steve Hilton becomes the nominee for the Republicans, his professional acumen in charisma will overcome that. I believe, you know, charisma equal is warmth and competence. He's like he's got that Ronald Reagan feel in a way. And then if he manages to get the three top issues that are important to the voters, which the Orange County Register says is affordability, taxes, and water supply, since we got it, I mean, we have a very good chance to overcome Bissarah immigration issue.
Speaker 1: All Right, I'm going to disagree with you on Beisera and the immigration issue. I don't think that's what put him in first place. I think what put him in first place was the collapse of Eric Swalwell. The Democratic partlready knows they don't like Tom Steyer, they don't like Katie Porter. They think that Antonio Viragosa is yesterday's news and Matt Mahon is too conservative for them and the party and the voters are looking for an establishment choice, someone that they could all get behind, who's just going to be a Joe Biden type of Democrat. And I think that Xavier Bessera fits that bill and that's why people are supporting him.
Speaker 12: Yeah. Attack Trump, Yeah, which is vacuous. And when you get read right down to the substance of thinks, you're absolutely correct. He moved up because of Aer s wall Well being taken out of the ring exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for the call, Sarah. Let's go to Chris in Westlake Village. Chris, Hello, Hi, guys.
Speaker 13: I'll go off that last caller, which is the Sarah. You know that there's many in the Biden administration you ordered on TV that said he was just varable in Washington, and I believe that he acts like he doesn't even want to be governor.
Speaker 14: I mean something. But you know Newsom, he got the two and a half billion. And then but Karen, she's supposed to be standing up for the people. How come she's not acting? Gavin, where's the money? Oh wait a minute, how come he didn't ask her where's the homeless money? Oh wait, well they both lost homeless money. You know, it's just crazy. So if Spencer Pratt is elected, he said that the first thing he's going to do is go sit at the desk and open the books. You invite the IRS, the FBI, maybe the DOJ, and then Steve Hilton. He says, if he's elected, he already is going after the fraud. He's going to cut the spending, cut the train, lower taxes and fees like the DMV. Then he's going to grow the car, I mean, reducing regulation, creating jobs, keeping businesses here, you know, and we just have to vote for both of them.
Speaker 1: That's it, all right, thank you for the call, sir. Let's go to David in Nevada. David, Hello, Hi.
Speaker 15: John, I Randy love your show. I had a couple questions. One was, what do you think, from what's your perspective on Newsom's endorsement of Karen Bass. Does it really make a difference in.
Speaker 12: Yeah, okay, well.
Speaker 1: Here's the way I look at it. I don't think that endorsement has anything to do with California politics. He is over California. I don't think he particularly cares what happens. That endorsement is about him trying to win a Democratic primary for president, because if she ends up not making it to the runoff and he didn't publicly endorse her and get behind a fellow Democrat, that's going to look bad in early voting states with large black populations. That will be used against him and they will say he had an ally in California that was on the ropes and needed his help and he wouldn't throw her a lifeline and she lost because of it. Why in the world should black voters turn out for Gavin Newsom? And I think he's afraid of that happening, which is why he endorsed her.
Speaker 15: That makes perfect sense. That doesn't the same logic apply to Basera for Hispanics.
Speaker 1: Well, I think with Besara he is inoculated because there are other Latinos in the race, Via ra Gosa among them. So he could say, look, I'm gonna pull Jerry Brown here and I'm not going to endorse my successor I'm going to wait until the primary is over and then I'll get involved. Also, they know that Besarah is a train wreck, and if they're publicly behind him and they go out and they vouch for him, and they say, the guy is going to be the best thing since slice bread and the slow motion train wreck happens that we know is going to happen. He's going to look bad. So for Besarah, he's just going to stay out of it. By the way, he's not the only one staying out of it. So is Kamala She did not endorse for governor. So is Jerry Brown. He didn't endorse for governor. Nancy Pelosi has not endorsed for governor. And when Joe Biden was asked if he would endorse Besera, who worked for him, he refused to do it too. None of them want to step on that rake.
Speaker 15: Makes makes perfect sense. One last thing, why why don't you think Kevin McCarthy ever sue was heading for governors? He's from Bakersfield, you know, the House speaker.
Speaker 12: You know why not?
Speaker 1: Because now that he's no longer House speaker, he's a lobbyist or he's in the p I have it sector. I guess I should say, I don't know if he's a registered lobbyist or not, but he's got to be making money handover fist. Why would you want to deal with this mess. If you could just sit back and just cash checks.
Speaker 15: Thanks for taking my call, guys, Love you guys.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you for the call.
Speaker 1: Here here with an update on illicit massage parlors in San Diego.
Speaker 3: Mister Randy Wang, the.
Speaker 2: City Attorney of San Diego, is looking to shut down some more massage parlors because, well, nobody goes there for a BackRub.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there has to be someone in recorded history who did.
Speaker 2: When you are a strangely named massage parlor in a strip mall with black bars on your windows and you're open till eleven o'clock at night, there is no legitimate business for you. For more on this, we're going to NBC seven.
Speaker 16: City attorney wants to shut down a massage business in Lenda Vista. A year long undercover investigation apparently turn up allegations.
Speaker 2: Really, the cops had to go undercover for a whole year.
Speaker 3: They had to be very very very thorough. How many r.
Speaker 2: And ts did they have to get before they realized what was going on?
Speaker 16: Apparently turn up allegations of prostitution and possibly human traffick.
Speaker 11: Here, and the operators and the landlord are also facing several building code violations. NBC seven's Dave Summers if it's.
Speaker 2: The prostitutions not bad enough, they don't have a mop sink.
Speaker 3: Just imagine what would happen if there was a fire in there.
Speaker 11: And NBC seven's Dave Summers explains why the city attorney says the number of these salons is growing.
Speaker 2: Well, because it's apparently very hard to shut them down, and we don't want to really enforce a lot of laws here, and because all of the prostitutes are victims, they don't want to testify against their pimps or their traffickers because they know that the pimps and the traffickers won't get much time, and when they get out, they get retaliated against.
Speaker 3: And they seem to have nasty tempers.
Speaker 6: This social media add for Comfy Spa may.
Speaker 3: Seem Comfy Spa.
Speaker 2: You're telling me somebody legitimately went to Comfy Spa because they had shoulder pain.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and put your feet up and enjoy yourself over at Comfy Spa.
Speaker 6: This social media add for Comfy Spa may seem perfectly normal, except perhaps for the operating hours nine am to eleven pm behind these closed doors.
Speaker 3: Nope, not legit.
Speaker 6: Behind these closed doors, though the San Diego City attorney says the offerings are quite the opposite. Illegal activity is unpredictable.
Speaker 17: It can the prostitution can bring all kinds of different additional criminal elements.
Speaker 6: City Attorney Heather Ferbert found this injunction against the operators of Comfy Spa and the landlord of this strip mall at fifty two oh one Linda Vista Road.
Speaker 2: Well, now everyone knows where the address is.
Speaker 3: This is great advertising for them.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you somebody listening in San Diego is going to go drive by there just to see what's up.
Speaker 6: The civil suit identifies the spa as a public nuisance which is a threat to the health, safety, and welfare of the public and its occupants.
Speaker 2: How is it this hard to shut down a known den of prostitution.
Speaker 3: Because the investigation takes forever, because every guy who works for the city has to let's just say, let's just not take their turn.
Speaker 6: It alleges since last February, the property developed a history of criminal and nuisance activity, including loun activities and prostitution related arrests.
Speaker 2: The cases so you already know that prostitutions going down there. You've already had arrest, the investigation is over. You can't shut the business down.
Speaker 1: No, because they have to go undercover about nine hundred times before they feel confident making that statement.
Speaker 6: The cases complaint driven. Undercover officers have made arrests for prostitution here and responded to a customer complaint of sexual assault leveled at one of the therapists. Business. Neighbor Dustin Pope says, the small always seemed suspicious.
Speaker 12: You'll see kind of older gentlemen sort of embarrassedly walking out of there.
Speaker 3: In the city with their head hell low. They've got the derby hat on, the sunglasses, they're hiding behind the newspaper.
Speaker 2: People don't walk into those rooms confidently, and they sure don't walk out of those rooms confidently.
Speaker 18: In the city attorney's estimation, these massage businesses are cropping up all over San Diego, and she attributes it to a number of things, including the fact that smaller community is to have a better budget to address the problem. Also, she says, since COVID prostitution and trafficking has gone inside to disguise their activities, maybe.
Speaker 2: In San Diego it's straight on the streets in LA and Oakland, Oh.
Speaker 1: In Oakland there are designated parts of town for prostitution.
Speaker 3: International Boulevard, you know, one closes down ten more open.
Speaker 7: You'll see that they're in almost every strip made.
Speaker 2: So shouldn't there then be I don't know, some liability attached to the landlord that is knowingly renting space to a criminal organization.
Speaker 3: Hey, they're good for the rent. What does the landlord care?
Speaker 2: Besides the same thing with all the illegal pod stores that the city says they can't shut down, which is why there's a ballot measure in the city of La called Measure CB, which would allow the city to send tax bills to criminal organizations.
Speaker 3: It makes no sense.
Speaker 6: Besides the alleged illicit activity. The injunction lists a number of building code violations. They include a half dozen massage rooms and what appears to be living quarters.
Speaker 2: A lot yes, because these are sex slaves and you are enabling it. And what appears to be these girls were probably brought here in a shipping container like the second season of The Wire.
Speaker 6: And what appears to be living quarters.
Speaker 17: A lot of instances with massage parlors where we see evidence of people living there we find that the women who are there are victims of human trafficking.
Speaker 6: We went inside.
Speaker 1: Do you think if the prostitutes live there when they go to sleep at night, they put the cucumbers on both eyes.
Speaker 6: And inside to get a look for ourselves, we were greeted by.
Speaker 3: One Yeah, I'd love to see that expense report.
Speaker 6: We were greeted by one of the employees who did not identify herself and didn't answer any of our questions about the allegations. This is the second such injunction from the City Attorney's office in as many months. Last April's civil suit alleging similar activities that the Osaka Oriental Spa in North Park was filed.
Speaker 17: Human trafficking, unfortunately, is a problem here in San Diego, and I think part of that is just locational and or.
Speaker 2: We don't want to put these people away in prison.
Speaker 1: What do you think HR said when they're going through the expense report and they're looking at this guy's expenses and they see eight hundred dollars at the Osaka Oriental Spa, it's for research.
Speaker 6: The inflow of people. We just have a lot of people coming through. Comfy Spa remains open for business, despite this latest litigation.
Speaker 2: Despite the arrest, despite everyone knowing it's a DNA prostitution, they can still operate their business. I do not understand we make it so hard for legitimate businesses to operate in this state, but illegally operating businesses have free reign.
Speaker 1: Well compared to the pot shops. They're pillars of the community.
Speaker 6: In Linda Vista. Dave Summers, NBC seven.
Speaker 16: And the injunction also alleges. From as early as December twenty twenty five through March of this year, SDPD officers found more than two hundred and fifty online advertisements, blogs, and user reviews for sex acts occurring at the property.
Speaker 3: Oh, if we only had more time, we'd be open up that yell page. Johnny five out of five stars.