Speaker 1: And we continue at two oh five in the afternoon on The John Phillips Show, broadcasting live from Claremont, California. As I said at the top of the show, the Land of Trees and PhDs, and we're here Randy for tonight's big gubernatorial debate.
Speaker 2: We were lucky enough to be invited by CBS News Investigates. Is Julie Watts, who's one of the moderators tonight of the debate that's being aired on all CBS stations in California, CBSLA Channel two, Channel nine, KPIX five in the Bay, CBS thirteen Sacramento, CBS eight in San Diego, and all the stations and all the smaller markets. The debate is at five thirty. It's going to go on for an hour and a half. They are also going to be streaming it on all the YouTube channels, whether it's CBSLA, CBS Sacramento, KPIX, which of course I subscribe to all of them. And this debate is going to be a little different from the others because it is going to have all eight of the current top candidates running, which means you're going to see Steve Hilton, you're going to see Tom Steyer.
Speaker 3: You're a big ass crisis.
Speaker 2: You're gonna see Javier Baccaria scrub it. You're gonna see Chad Bianco, You're gonna see Katie Porter out of my shot. You're gonna see Matt Mahon. You're gonna see Antonio via Ragosa. And you're going to see Tony Thurman, who just released this ad.
Speaker 4: We'll arrest ice agency, break our laws and then tell Trump.
Speaker 1: Did they catch that in San Francisco. Stop. So that is the debate that is going on tonight.
Speaker 2: It is we're literally a week away from people getting their ballots, so this could be one of the most important debates because by the time the other debates happened, some people they have already voted. You've got this debate on the CBS stations tonight. Next Tuesday, I believe you have the CNN debate hosted by Alex Michaelson. And then on Thursday. Next Thursday, NBCLA is going to do a debate where it's first an hour of la mayor debate. They haven't said who is attending that debate, and then the governor's debate.
Speaker 1: Well, if there's any race where you could make the argument that all of the lower polling candidates should be included. It's this one because there's been so much fluidity in the race where you've seen people in single digits pop up to double digits, most recently with Javier Bessera. You've seen candidates and single digits who have been able to raise large sums of money. That usually only happens when you're pulling well, pulling in first, second, or third. Matt Mahon has been able to do that. You have candidates pulling in single digits who have run statewide before, Vira Gosa and Tony Thurman. So you could make the argument that you would be better off having more people on stage as opposed to fewer. Now, if you have a contest where you have one candidate who's pulling way ahead of everyone else, or two candidates who are polling way ahead of everyone else, then yeah, it doesn't make sense to include the one percenters. But in this particular race, I think you should include them, and I think they're doing it the right way tonight. Well, and what's going to.
Speaker 2: Be great is you know, those lower polling candidates, this may be the last time they're ever on a debate stage. For certain candidates for any office ever, and they've got nothing to lose. If there's any ammunition you've been saving, if there's any opo you've been saving. The voting starts in a week, so this is your last chance to get it out there on a big stage. This is also this debate is going to be broadcast nationally on CBS's website, so a lot of people are going to be paying attention to this debate. So if any anybuddy is sitting on anything, we know that the campaign strategist who's connected to Antonio Viragosa keeps teasing all the things he has and all the other candidates. At some point, you got to put that stuff out there. One of the scandals that could be mentioned tonight, particularly since Xavier Bessera is starting to pop in the polls, is the Data Williamson scandal, former top aid to California Governor Gavin Newsom, former top aid to Javier Bisera before he became Secretary of Health and Human Services, who is now potentially looking at a plea deal with the Feds. And we have an update on the Dana Williamson scandal.
Speaker 1: Scrub it for more on this and by the way.
Speaker 2: You know what you have to do if you're a doctor before you give a liver transplant.
Speaker 1: Scrub it. Oh well, that seems reasonable.
Speaker 2: Here is case A three and Ashley Zavala because of course.
Speaker 5: Update right now in the case against Governor Gavin Newsom's ex chief of staff Dana Williamson, Williamson is facing nearly two dozen federal charges related to stolen political funds, falsifying documents, and tax fraud.
Speaker 6: That's a long list. Williamson was expected to be back.
Speaker 1: Inh Wait a minute, now that Dana Williamson has a new liver, do you think she's going to be watching the debate tonight or do you think she's going to be a happy hour?
Speaker 2: Don't they have to like give you a couple of months where you're not allowed to drink or do you have to like get that thing into high gear immediate?
Speaker 1: Listen, if you buy a brand new corvette, are you going to pay attention to the speed limit the first time you take that thing out for a spin? Or are you going to see what it has?
Speaker 2: But if you wreck the new one, will they give you yet another one?
Speaker 1: Well, you just go buy one from China.
Speaker 6: Expected to be back in court this week. Case Harry three political director ashues of Alla joins us.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe that's what all of those trips to Mexico are for? What scouting a new liver Dary.
Speaker 7: Three political director ashes of Alla joins US, now with what court filing show today?
Speaker 6: Lisa andre I.
Speaker 1: Told you at one point I knew someone who went to drug rehab in Mexico, didn't I, Oh, please tell me that story. Yeah, they went to drug rehab in Mexico, which when I found out about that, I thought, that's like going to fat camp in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 6: Lisa and Andrea court record show.
Speaker 8: Williamson's court date is getting pushed back again because her attorneys and the federal government appear to be negotiating a possible plea deal. Federal prosecutors have accused Williamson of various.
Speaker 2: Crimes and because he does seem to want to be stirring the pot all the time, didn't Trhio tweet out this story and being like, see what happened the day after I made allegations that Besarah knew more than he said. Now they're looking to make a deal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, or maybe she's just ready to make a plea deal now because she's perfected the art of making toilet tank wine.
Speaker 2: Federal prosecute, I think they call it Bruno Johnny.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, She's going to be the Bartles and James in that penitentary.
Speaker 8: Federal prosecutors have accused Williamson of various crimes stemming from three separate incidents. That includes organizing a scheme to steal two hundred and twenty five thousand dollars in funds from an inactive political campaign account belonging to former US Health and Human Services Secretary Javier Bassetta.
Speaker 2: What does it say about not only Dana but her co conspirator in this that they knew that they could be running this scheme for years and Bessarah was not going to know any better.
Speaker 1: Now, when you do the scrub, this is where his explanation makes no sense. Hi, I want to be in charge of the largest state the Union and the fourth largest economy in the world, and i want to make sure that I'm in charge of the budget and the money and the spending, and I'm not going to let anyone steal from the state of California like what we saw happen with the EDD fraud or what's going on with those phony Bologne High hospice centers in the San Fernando Valley. At the same time, when you ask him, well, how come Dana Williamson was able to steal ten thousand dollars a month out of a dormant account that belonged to you? And the answer is, well, I'm the village idiot. How should I know?
Speaker 2: My favorite part of that interview, well, specifically that part of that interview is when Zabala says, so you were swindled.
Speaker 1: He was snookerd.
Speaker 6: Belonging to toad wings belonging to former.
Speaker 8: US Health and Human Services Secretary Javier Bassetta, who is also running for California governor.
Speaker 2: Now, if you didn't get to watch that entire thirty five minute interview, it is a great interview. Ashley Zabala does a wonderful job. But I have one piece of advice. If you're going to watch that interview, you do not play the HHS drinking game. If you take a shot every single time Javier Basera name drops that he was secretary of JHS, you will wake up in the emergency room.
Speaker 1: You're going to be like data and need a new liver.
Speaker 6: In separate incidents.
Speaker 8: The federal government also accuses her of falsifying documents as she was being investigated for taking small business loans during the pandemic, and she's also accused of tax fraud.
Speaker 1: She's just going after everybody. Boy, she just checked all the boxes, didn't she.
Speaker 2: And this is one of the most connected, most powerful people in Sacramento. Didn't she make the one of the didn't she make the California Democratic Party put a statue of her kid on the building?
Speaker 1: She did right out front. That is weird.
Speaker 8: Now, in a joint court filing today from both sides of this case, attorneys for Williamson and the federal government wrote, quote, the parties are engaged in active discussions toward resolving the case. If a plea agreement is not reached by May fourteenth, the parties intend to request at that status conference that the case be set for jury trial.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: Authorities arrested Williamson back in November for the alleged crimes.
Speaker 6: Her coken be, who helped organize.
Speaker 8: The system to steal Bessera's funds, have pled guilty and had plea agreements in place at the time that Williamson's case was made public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why she's working on a deal, because they already have the goods to go against her and put her away for a long time. Well, she's not exactly deft on covering her tracks. Wouldn't she stay up late at night, get loaded and then call everyone up and threaten them on behalf of the governor?
Speaker 1: That was her job.
Speaker 8: Now, Williamson not only served as Governor Gavin Newsom's chief of staff, but also as a campaign manager and advisor to Javier Bessetta, who is running for governor again.
Speaker 2: What does it say about Besarah's judgment that so many crooks were in his employ Yeah, Eddie.
Speaker 1: Goes, well, how could I tell she was stealing from me?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe red flag should have been going off when she'd call you at three in the morning and she'd start screaming at you in between glug glug, glug, glug glug glug glug.
Speaker 8: Did that in his capacity when he was running for Attorney General. Now, through the scheme, Williamson allegedly helped organize up to ten thousand dollars a month in payments were coming out of Bassera's account, which experts say is an outrageous amount of money. Bessera has said he was a victim and had no idea.
Speaker 6: I pressed him about it.
Speaker 2: I was just totally thought that ten thousand dollars a month payment was legit.
Speaker 1: Now this is apropos of nothing, and I don't want to insult anyone when I say this, but I've just noticed a pattern here. What's the deal with fat women and very expensive handbags? Do you think that if you have the handbag as an accessory it makes you look thinner? You know?
Speaker 2: That's actually an old TV show trick. When an actress is pregnant but the character's not pregnant, they usually have a big handbag that they're always wearing or they're holding in front of their stomach.
Speaker 1: Because that's what she was buying with the money, right, she was buying the very expensive handbags. Yes, while she was down at the five star resorts.
Speaker 8: I pressed him about this when I interviewed him for California Politics through sixty last week. Through your congressional campaigns, I mean dating back to the nineties, like, never once did you pay that amount for this kind of maintenance for legal services for nothing? I mean, like, did you really not that wasn't. That didn't raise any flags for you that those payments.
Speaker 11: So we were paying for management of a dormant account, making sure that nothing was No laws were violated.
Speaker 1: Some laws were violated, Yeah, a whole bunch of them. We went through that at the beginning of the report.
Speaker 11: Because I was Secretary of Healthy Human Services a capital don't drink. Because I was Secretary of Healthy Human Service, as a cabinet member, I had to distance myself from anything that looked political or campaign related. I had ethics rules that were in place that required me to distance myself, and so I depended on people that I trust to be able to manage that the right way. We were going to pay for the management. You always pay for someone to oversee to file the right documents in the.
Speaker 1: Rest ten thousand dollars a month. If that's what he thought was a reasonable amount to pay for someone to fill out documents once a year on a dormant account. What do you think his attorneys were charging him.
Speaker 2: And what do you think he would be like negotiating with I don't know, the California Teachers Association.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I'll tell you something that wouldn't be coming out of your mouth way to bring them to their knees.
Speaker 11: There is, and I was willing to pay the price to make sure that I didn't have to worry about it. Low and behold, while I was willing to pay a price. And by the way, the attorneys of the campaign account signed off on all those payments as well.
Speaker 1: Wasn't as if so you also have terrible attorneys. Boy, he knows how to pick him, doesn't he.
Speaker 11: There wasn't someone who was checking.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure when we're talking about campaign attorneys, it's not like that you go seek out the best law firm. These are are friends of friends, These are sons of friends. These are all the connected people, all the people that can't get anywhere in real life, but they have a family member that's connected with somebody. So the no good kid gets a job as the campaign attorney.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this guy gets elected to be governor and the graft continues.
Speaker 11: There wasn't someone who was checking. The attorneys were checking, and they were saying, you know, everything seemed kosher. What happened was after the payments, the way the money was used is where the violation occurred. And there was no violation in terms of the payment. That's why I and my campaign were not implicated in the actual activities.
Speaker 2: I'm having a hard time understanding to use the term that's catching fire on the internet. The becceleration going on in the polls.
Speaker 1: Well at this point, that means he's the tallest building in Omaha.
Speaker 8: So those payments he's referring to, that money was used to funnel money away from Bassetra's campaign to the personal bank account of his longtime chief of staff.
Speaker 6: His name is Sean McCluskey.
Speaker 1: How do you not even do a Cayman Islands here?
Speaker 12: Come on.
Speaker 8: McCluskey is one of the co conspirators in this case that has pleaded guilty. We reached out to Williamson's attorney, McGregor Scott and the US Attorney's office.
Speaker 6: We have not yet heard back from.
Speaker 8: Williamson's attorney, but a spokesperson for federal prosecutors confirmed the discussions on that plea deal tonight are ongoing.
Speaker 6: Back to you, all right, glad you got to ask those questions, Ashley.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So there you go, Dana Williamson, Gavin Newsom's former chief of staff, Hobber Bessara's former chief of staff is in active negotiations for a plea deal in her corruption case where she stole a whole bunch of money from Beissara, and Besara had no idea. Now I'm not a lawyer, but I will make a prediction on this. Yeah, I think she's going to plead guilty because whenever you're talking about financial crimes, there is a memorialization every time funds you're transferred. It's why when corrupt politicians want to take bribe frequently they try to do it with something like poker chips or gold. Like we saw with Bob Menendez. The poker chips were used by I think two different members of the La City Council. Oh, that was Jose Wezar's thing where it was the pit boss at a Vegas casino that said your guy is compromised.
Speaker 1: But that's harder to track because these are items value that change hands all the time, and there's no electronic record every time a poker chip goes from a player to a dealer to another player. Those chips may change hands hundreds of times over the course of a day. But when you're electronically wiring money from a bank account from a dormant bank account, belonging to a politician, and you're putting it in your own bank account when the money wasn't supposed to be going to you, and then you're spending the money with a credit card, so you get your credit card points. They have you dead to rights. I mean, they can track where that money went from Monday to Tuesday, to Wednesday to Thursday. And I don't know what kind of defense you put out that can convince jury that you didn't do that if they have the electronic records.
Speaker 2: Well, not only that, how exactly do you put up any kind of a defense when it was a three person scam and the other two people already pled guilty.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, now she's gonna play guilty. What will be interesting to see is if she provides the FEDS with information on others in exchange for a lighter sentence. Because, don't forget, besides working for Bessera, she was also Galvin Newsom's top aid for many years. She may know where some bodies are buried. Oh yeah, and those bodies may end up dancing out on the front lawn. One eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't like show at gmail dot com and Randy. The end of the show is quickly approaching. But if you want to continue listening to after we sign off a three, that's easy to do.
Speaker 2: All you gotta do is search for The John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcast, whether it's the Apple podcast app, iHeart Spotify, search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe to get download all the episodes. Just posted the one o'clock hour with John's interview with Seneca Scott and the update on the City of Dumpy. We previewed the debate in the first hour, and then of course yesterday's show a lot of crime blodder stories. We talked to Julie Watts about the debate, we played that Biserah interview, and we also announced that we just re signed our contract with KABC and KSFO and we will be continuing to do this show for another three years at least. So make sure you to subscribe to the podcast because there's a lot of fun stuff coming that way. You want to be updated on all the news considering this show. Search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts in the.
Speaker 1: Meantime, what do you say We make a couple of listeners very happy.
Speaker 2: Seven ninety KABC welcomes Howard Jones The Things That Can Only Get Better to Or at the Greek Theater Ungel Live twenty third Tickets around sale now at ticketmaster dot com or right now. Colin number nine at one eight at eight seven ninety five two to two two gets pair of tickets to the show. Tickets furnished by Live Nation Good Luck Dialing.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we're going to open up the California Crime blotder more trouble with the seven eleven one eight hundred two two two five two two two. We're broadcasting live from Claremont, California, where Randy. In just a few hours, we're gonna be at the Big Goobernatorial Debate.
Speaker 2: We've got to be there at three thirty, which is why we needed to be in Claremont to do this, because it would not be possible to get from either the Coachella Valley or Culver City to Claremont by then. But the debate starts at five thirty and you can watch it on your local CBS station, whether that's CBS two or nine in cal in Southern California, KPIX five in the Bay Area, CBS Sacramento, Channel thirteen in Sacramento, CBS eight in San Diego, or stream it on YouTube, which is I already have it saved so I can watch it later on tonight. But Johnny, we're gonna get to watch it in person unless you have a running with Katie Porter beforehand.
Speaker 1: Well, if I do, let me tell you every reporter in the California Press Corps is going to be in the room, so you may not have to wait until noon tomorrow to find out about it. If John is photographed with mashed potatoes on his head, that's gonna go everywhere. Well, hopefully there's no gravy. All right, it's time to open up the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 12: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 3: Nice see time for the California Crime.
Speaker 1: Blodder and Randy. The first edition of The Blotterer takes us to the seven eleven. Multiple seven elevens were broken into last night. I feel like things are getting back to normal in Los Angeles. We're not talking about home burglaries yet, we're talking about good old fashioned seven eleven robberies. If bumby for more, here is kt LA. We begin with breaking news police looking into a pair of seven eleven stores that were robbed late last night. Katilizeron Myers is live in LA's Palm's neighborhood with those details eron good morning.
Speaker 2: That's right next to the radio station, and that's why you don't leave the building. So let's see the house that's two blocks away from me gets broken into over the weekend, and the seven eleven that's two miles from the radio station gets robbed. Yep, La County gotta love it.
Speaker 12: Good morning to you both.
Speaker 2: Although I do have to say Clairemont is one of those small cities in La County and it's just beautiful.
Speaker 6: Good morning to you both.
Speaker 9: We know at least two seven elevens were robbed late last night, and we are checking on a third location at this time.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're robbing that many seven elevens at once, do you bring your big goal with you to every location so you can refill it?
Speaker 1: So you're still in the slurpies too?
Speaker 2: Here in this spot, well, doing all that robin makes you thirsty, I guess.
Speaker 9: Here in this spot We did speak to the clerk and he said that the thieves got away with cash. Now you can see the seven eleven here behind me. It's located.
Speaker 1: I do not understand.
Speaker 2: When you've got twenty dollars an hour minimum wage for fast food in and out burgers starting at like twenty five dollars an hour, who's applying to work at seven eleven?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How is it that they can hire anyone to do any shift at all, let alone the overnight shift. I mean, what jobs out there are more dangerous than being a clerk at seven eleven? Maybe being in the military on the front lines of an act of war, and I don't know, making a movie with Alec Baldwin.
Speaker 9: Now you can see the seven eleven here behind me. It's located on the thirty one hundred block of Overland Avenue, right in your national we'll get to some video though from overnight. You can see troll vehicles outside of the convenience store officers inside. Early reports say this happened around ten to fifteen last night. We spoke to that clerk who was working at the time. He said two masked males came into the store and took both of the cash registers.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they didn't give you COVID, now, did they.
Speaker 9: Saying they got in and out very quickly. He wasn't hurt and said this hasn't happened to him while he has been working before. And about an hour and a half later, the LAPD was seen at another seven to eleven. This video from the Westlake District Patrol vehicles outside officers inside the store once again at that location. Early reports say police responded to this store around eleven forty last night.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a really unfortunate named part of town in southern California. Westlake Village is one of the most beautiful areas in just when you're getting into Ventura County in the Thousand Oaks area, you take Village off of Westlake Village and now you're in MacArthur Park.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, a very different part of town.
Speaker 9: Earlier reports they police responded to this store around eleven forty last night. The seven eleven located on the thirty one hundred block of Beverly Boulevard near Vendome Street. The clerk there confirmed they did have a robbery, but there isn't any information about a possible suspect or suspects or any information about any merchandise or cash that may have been taken.
Speaker 1: What was it? Just cigarettes? I guess we are trying to get well. The cancer will get them.
Speaker 9: We are trying to get more details from the LAPD now back here live. At this time, it's not known if these incidents are related. We know both stores do have surveillance cameras, so that could help with these investigations, and anyone who may know anything is encouraged to contact.
Speaker 2: I do know that some of these get solved, but at this point the LAPD should be doing like a everyone tuned to this press conference whenever they actually make an arrest in a seven to eleven robbery, just to let the robbers know at some point, at least one percent of you are going to get arrested.
Speaker 9: Help with these investigations, and anyone who may know anything is encouraged to contact the LAPD. Reporting live here in Palms, I'm Aaron Myers. I'll send it back to you both in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: You notice how they had to report live from the Palm's location and not the Westlake one.
Speaker 1: Well they don't want their camera stolen.
Speaker 2: There you go two different seven eleven's in the Los Angeles area got robbed last night?
Speaker 10: Is they cash's dummy?
Speaker 1: But the cashier lived to tell about it, Thank Heaven. All right, it's time to reopen the blotterer is the cashier's dumby.
Speaker 3: We couldn't make this stuff up if we tried.
Speaker 1: I said, hell no, very boy, Let me get up on out of here.
Speaker 3: It's the California crime blow there.
Speaker 1: And Randy, there were yet more burglaries in your part of town. So we are now at a point where there have been twenty four home burglaries since April fifteenth, which is not that long ago. And here's what's interesting about this last one. It also happened in the San Fernando Valley. But the San Fernando Valley is mostly the city of Los Angeles, but there are a few small cities in the valley that are still counted as the valley. But boy, to, the stories just ends so differently because this time when there was an attempted home burglary in Burbank, there was an arrest immediately.
Speaker 2: You don't say, why did I ever move from there? I mean, it's expensive and all the homes are really small and have one bathroom, but.
Speaker 1: I miss it.
Speaker 2: And you know what, when I moved out, I was in my early thirties and I thought, I want to move somewhere where everything's open past ten pm. And now I'm forty and I would never be out past ten pm.
Speaker 1: Well, all those homes that they built there are really old, and by really old, I mean California standards, So we're talking after World War Two. And you can tell that they're really old because they came with one bathroom, which means that they were built before Chipotle. For more on the Burbank burglary, here's NBCLA.
Speaker 14: More break ins in the San Fernando Valley over the weekend.
Speaker 6: This is surveillance video from the most recent one in Burbank.
Speaker 1: And we're also learning about a home invasion in Panorama City.
Speaker 2: All right, NBC Forest, Just to make sure that everyone's clear, because again, the naming of these neighborhoods is so unbelievably stupid. Burbank is its own city. Panorama City is a neighborhood in Los Angeles. Panorama City is not a city. It's pretty much the neighborhood where the Kaiser is. I know that because I was born there.
Speaker 6: Panorama City.
Speaker 2: All right, NBC Forest Shaathan Gazellez joins US Life from Burbank and Jonathan, this is what more than twenty break ins just in the past few weeks.
Speaker 13: Huh Yeah, we're approaching two dozen here, Mike, and it seems to be happening night after night.
Speaker 3: To your point, we.
Speaker 1: Did this again.
Speaker 2: Is now two weeks after Karen Bass announced a big crackdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could tell the crooks are paying attention to her.
Speaker 13: We did just get some new information on this case because, unlike most of these cases, there were three people arrested here in this Burbank one that happened last night.
Speaker 1: Because it happened in Burbank. If it happened in Los Angeles, there would be a zero percent chance they would be arrested.
Speaker 2: Burbank PD doesn't tolerate this. The residents of Burbank don't tolerate this.
Speaker 13: We just got new information that the involve a man in his thirties and two men in their twenties, all for AZUSA, all facing residential.
Speaker 2: You know, the one part of southern California where they're not talking about studio closures, the studios in Burbank.
Speaker 13: We just got new information that the involve a man in his thirties and two men in their twenties, all for Azusa, all facing residential burglary charges. Meanwhile, the homeowner involved in this, the homeowner whose home was broken into last nights as he is grateful to his neighbor who saw something wrong and then called the police.
Speaker 2: And because it's BPD, you call the police and they answer right away and they show up right away. I actually had my car broken into once when I lived in Burbank and we parked on the street. Someone had one of those things where they can manipulate your keyfob. Because my car got broken into and my wife's car get broken into. The joke was on them because there was nothing of value in my car, so they stole my expired Magic Mountain season pass, and they looked at my wife's car and I guess they didn't think anything of the saddle that was in there. But if they would have stolen that, it would be worth quite a bit of money, but they thought it was too heavy.
Speaker 1: What a concept. Call a nine to one one and someone answers the phone and they come as opposed to, oh, I don't know, pressing one for English and then being told to fill out a FOURM online.
Speaker 2: So it's at Tuesday morning at nine am we call BPD. They show up with backup for a car break in in less than five minutes.
Speaker 1: That service with the Smile.
Speaker 13: Urgularies across the San Fernando Valley continued over the weekend, this time in Burbank. The owner of this home on Scott Road too afraid to talk to us on camera after his house was broken into Sunday night around seven point thirty, He gave us the surveillance video that shows two men running from Burbank police officers jumping over his backyard fence onto a different.
Speaker 1: Property they got to bring back cops.
Speaker 13: The homeowner saying no one was home at the time, but he began watching his cameras when this person appeared at his door pretending to be a food delivery driver. Moments later, that's when he says his neighbor across the street called nine one one after they saw three men breaking into his house through a side window.
Speaker 2: So the idea is, oh, I'm going to distract everyone by thinking that I'm door dash well.
Speaker 1: And this is also a difference. In Burbank, you have a population that's engaged, that's willing to call the cops when they see something that shouldn't be happening. In Los Angeles, everyone is totally apathetic and no one cares.
Speaker 13: After they saw three men breaking into his house through a side window, Burbank police quickly responded, using canines to take the three men into custody. It's still unclear what the men may have taken, but it's the latest case in a recent string of homebreakings and breaking attempts.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't think these were the same suspects that are going all around the San Fernando Valley. If anything, it sounds like these are some small time copycads that saw what was going on on the TV and thought, oh, this is real, easy to do. Didn't realize that when you get off on Scott Road, that's still Burbank, that's not North Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Well let's hope it's the same people that were doing it in LA because at least if it is, they're now in custody.
Speaker 13: In and around the valley this month. By our count, there have been at least twenty four since April tenth. In just hours after the Burbank incident in Panorama City, a family.
Speaker 1: Was left terrified after they say at least.
Speaker 13: Two men broke into their home along Citrus Avenue.
Speaker 2: And this one wasn't a burglary, this was a hot prow uh oh.
Speaker 13: The father telling NBC four he was in a bedroom with his daughters when he heard a noise from the other room. He said he called out to his wife, only to hear a man respond.
Speaker 1: The father said.
Speaker 13: The men threatened to shoot them if they left the room.
Speaker 1: Holy cow, that's aggressive.
Speaker 4: Goodf idiot, you can see whatever said.
Speaker 13: The men ransacked the place and took off, leaving behind this crowbar, which the LAPD took his evidence. The LAPD is also reviewing and investigating three other burglaries in the valley over the weekend, two in the Lake Balboa neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Wait, there were two in Lake Balboa. Your property value is declining by the second. Oh no, I got a check zilla during the.
Speaker 13: Break Two in the Lake Balboa neighborhood and one in West Hills reporting in Burbank, I'm Jonathan Gonzalez, ENDBC four News.
Speaker 2: There you go, Johnny. Even more break ins in the San Fernando Valley. But the big difference here is when you try this crap in Burbank. You do get arrested, and Randy, we have time for one more addition to the California crime bladder.
Speaker 12: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 1: This Wow Wow West.
Speaker 3: Dumb reached the Califonia crime blodder with John.
Speaker 1: And Randy. This one takes us all the way to Redwood City.
Speaker 2: John, there was a stabbing at a Mexican shrip joint in Redwood City. For more, here is KTVU and crime reporter Henry Lee.
Speaker 12: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 14: Broke out at a restaurant along the Peninsula over the weekend. Five people were hurt as a result of a stabbing and several suspects were arrested.
Speaker 6: Our crime reporter.
Speaker 14: Henry Lee is live at the scene near Redwood City with the very latest on this.
Speaker 2: Henry, I know the media industry is going through lots of setbacks, lots of cuts. KTVU is never getting rid of their crime reporter.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that is job security.
Speaker 12: Clad.
Speaker 7: You were along busy El Camino Real in North fear Oak neighborhood where people who live in work here say they're stunned by what happened. Snippets of yellow police tape still visible behind a Mexican bar and restaurant near Redwood City, where five people were hurt and three men were arrested after a stabbing over the weekend. The violence and sheer number of victims alarming many in the North fair Oaks neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Even if the uniont like the person, still there's no reason to do that. It's I can't believe.
Speaker 1: What if you did not like the person? Now here's a question. If someone gets stabbed at a Mexican restaurant, can you use one of the corn huts from one of the tamales as a tourniquet?
Speaker 4: Even if the uni't like the person, Still there's no reason to do that. It's I can't believe. I'm in shock, to be honest with you.
Speaker 7: It happened at Marisco's El San Nikita sense on eld Camino Reale just before two early.
Speaker 1: I can only translate a little bit of that. I'm only at level twelve on due Oldingo.
Speaker 7: It happened at Marisco's El San Nikita sense on eld Caminoreale just before two early Sunday morning. The Sanmontaeo County Sheriff's Office, which puts.
Speaker 2: Me this is what they told you. Nothing good happens after midnight. Nope, salmon definitely not at the Mariscos Joint, the Salonteo County Shriff's office, because you know who's going to the Marisco's Joint after midnight in San Mateo County, people that are wasted and trying to sober up.
Speaker 7: The Salmonio County Shrif's Office, which patrols the neighborhood, says a fight broke out, but what led up to it is unclear. The dispute spilled out into the parking lot behind the restaurant. Three suspects attacked five victims with glass shards and other objects.
Speaker 2: Like straight out of the Michael Jackson Beat It video. There's broken bottles and they're using shards of glass to stab each other.
Speaker 7: Deputies arrived and found three victims suffering from lacerations and puncture wounds at the scene. The other two victims ended up at hospitals on their own. All are expected to survive. The three suspects were found.
Speaker 2: Near You may handle your booze, but you don't want to be in a situation where you're around a lot of people who are very, very drunk, and you can be set off very easily.
Speaker 1: What Mexican joint is open past midnight? Anyway.
Speaker 7: The three suspects were found nearby and arrested on suspicion of assault. Frank Hernandez lives nearby and says he can't grasp what led to so many people getting hurt.
Speaker 4: I can't believe. You know, this thing is that this world is really coming to an end. You know what goes that.
Speaker 1: Might be a little much. Yeah, why did that many people get stabbed? I don't know. Have you ever been to the parking lot of Dodger Stadium before?
Speaker 4: What goes through a mind of a person to make him do that? You know, it's like some unbelievable boys.
Speaker 12: Like why Jeremiah aho Fono lives nearby.
Speaker 10: Like I heard like a lot of people yelling, but I just thought it was the neighbors just being crazy.
Speaker 1: I always didn't realize there was glass involved. A neighborhood is this?
Speaker 10: I always hear like music coming from that restaurant, so I know they have parties late at night.
Speaker 15: We are concerned. I mean, obviously there's a restaurant and the party sometime.
Speaker 12: Hog up to Toya.
Speaker 7: I know it's a lot in hardware shop nearby, and noted the restaurant pride itself for its vibrant nightlife.
Speaker 12: He says, crime in the you know.
Speaker 2: It probably happened is somebody accidentally poked somebody next to them with a shrimp skew and then escalated into a glass fight.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, He says.
Speaker 7: Crime in the immediate area is fairly uncommon.
Speaker 15: There used to be more homeless people, but they're not sourceful. I mean they were just homeless and walking around and other than that, I mean, we didn't have any sudents like this. It's the first time.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: Worker at the restaurant declined in common today, saying her boss won't be in until tomorrow. I've learned that all three suspects have since posted bail. The San Mateo County d'es office will review the case to determine whether they will formally face charges. Live near Redwood City, Henry le Katvu Fox two years.
Speaker 1: There you go the shellfish stabbing story flad for everyone that's going to do it for us today. But we're going to the big gubernatorial debate here in Clermont tonight. Watch it.
Speaker 2: See if John gets a shout out from Katie Porter It's on all CBS stations starting at five point thirty tonight.
Speaker 1: We'll see you tomorrow at noon, right here on The John Phillips Show.