Speaker 1: All right back here at Fenway Park, it's time for the postgame rap. It's a two man postgame rap this afternoon, and Hobby, what can you say? You know, the Giants are playing short, they're banged up, a couple more guys hurt today, and then you come in here against a terrific, terrific Red Sox team who are hot. And you know, you play inspired baseball, you grind, you know, you lose a couple one run games, but right now, it's just really hard for the Giants to go up against a team the caliber of the Red Sox in this ballpark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're limited, And I think when you look at what's going on right now, you look at the opportunity that a lot of these young guys are going to have, and I think, you know, if you go big picture in a sense, you could see what the Giants did last year bringing up Ryce Eldridge and getting him some opportunities in September and what that turned into for this year. So you hope some of this will bear fruit going into twenty twenty seven and maybe even towards the end of next month, where some of these guys are starting to get some footing up here and getting into some experiences that they haven't had before because so much of the minor leagues is so scripted. So now that you get up here, you're able to kind of just play the game and try to figure it out. And I think, you know, again, they fought, they showed resilience last night. They snatched it, you know, de feet from the jaws of victory, and you thought maybe they would land a little flat this afternoon. But I thought there was an inspired effort and they played really well and everyone contributed. Again. Unfortunately, you lose a Damis and you're losing some other guys. Barakoto another one that you hope the injuries aren't as serious as they might have looked.
Speaker 1: And two, I mean, so many strange things have happened with the Giants this year. They've lost a lot of games in strange different ways. But even today, Hobby, you think about the play that was overturned in the ball and left field where Bear could have leaped up, look like he caught it, but then they challenged it and it just skimmed the wall, it looked like, so they changed the car. They overturn the call it turns out to be instead of the third out, it's an RBI double and then that extends the inning and the Red Sox score two more times. It turns out to be a three run inning. So you're talking a couple inches right in the difference between three runs in the game. It's little things like that that just have not gone the Giants way this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's well said when you look at what some of the things have transpired, even in this road trip. Again, there's a couple moments here and there, or there might be a couple of ground balls that aren't turned for double plays, or you only get one of the two and that ends up spiraling a little bit and add on runs. And it's the big leagues and there's no excuses to be made here, but cleaner baseball needs to be played, better, pitching needs to happen, more timely hits. And I think again, as you go through this and the more experience that some of these young guys get, they're going to understand what's asked to them and try to execute. And that doesn't make it easy because it is the big leagues. But I think when you look back at this, you face the best bullpen the league, and you put up a little bit of a fight and you're facing the quality pitching staff, and the way the Giants stayed in the game was to not give free opportunities. They had one walk. I mean, they made the Red Sox earn their way. But again, that's what happens when you're facing a team that has an awful lot of confidence, is playing for something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you mentioned that bullpen, and you know, two more innings today for the Red Sox Guerrero and Chapman. My guys throw one hundred miles an hour coming in and it turns out eight innings pitched in this series by that bullpen and no runs, no runs a lot, which really doesn't surprise us. I mean, that's maybe the backbone of their team, right, and think about the postseason. That's a big deal, right, If your bullpen is really good, that can carry you a long ways.
Speaker 2: In the postseason.
Speaker 1: They got a nice mix for a team.
Speaker 2: We've seen it. We've seen it be very successful as of late in the postseasons. You can when you can shrink a ball game and take the pressure off these starters to maybe go you know, honestly, you've seen it where you can script it where Hey, you're out there for fourteen outs and then we're going to bring in and the bullpen will eat up the rest. You've stretched it out. Now you've got four lefties that they can chat, Tracy can choose from down there. I mean, you don't see that very often, and then you back it up with four righties. Everyone has a different look, but the main overarching theme is it's just velocity and power down there that the giants are missing with what we have right now in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a break. When we come back, we'll have our Player of the Game picks, Hobby and I so stick around. All right, Hobby, it's time for our player Picks of the game. You want to go first, you want me to go?
Speaker 2: I think you should go first. You can have a couple of picks.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I'm gonna go with Bryce Eldridge two for four today, a couple of hits, a couple of hard hits, hard hit balls against a left hander, which he doesn't seem overwhelmed by left handed pitching, which is a big deal for a twenty one year old kid. Picked up another RBI. I thought he had a really good series. Maybe the swing is starting to come back a little bit, but such a great kid, easy to pull forward, but a couple of hits today. I like the approach a little bit, So he's my pick.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great pick. And you could even stretch that into last night where he's up with the bases loaded and he hits a line drive his second base. You're he's coming up in big spots, and you're right, the moment isn't too big for him, and I think again for a twenty one year old, that would be he's younger now than the guys that were drafting. It's it's pretty exciting when you can look at that, and again, it's just more reps for him, more opportunities to have, and I think it was a great choice. Left on left, he's showing that he's not just a platoon guy won't and that's really what you want from a big power hitter.
Speaker 1: All right, who's your guy?
Speaker 2: I'm great choice and I'm gonna pick Jonah Cox just because he needs to get a smile on his face. He's a more talented, more dynamic player than what he's showing. And I know it's been a rough go for him. He's been striking out and awful lot, almost fifty five percent of his at bats, if not more. At this point, he's striking out a lot, but to be able to get a home run and he didn't even know that's how much it got to him. But he got that home run with the base hit up the middle. It's a guy that I would like to see more of, just to see what you have in I think the defense we all know is fantastic, and he hits so well in minor leagues. You can't just assume that he totally forgot how to hit. But teams are attacking him with velocity and it's time for him to just kind of make the adjustments. And I thought today he took a step forward in that way. All right.
Speaker 1: Differenspeaker the game sponsored by Gernick Academy Trading Tomorrow's healthcare Heroes. For more information, visit Gurnick dot edu. That's g U. R Nick dot edu. And I thought Jake Bennett was the difference in this game. Giants had him early on the ropes. They got a couple of runs off him, and then Cox hits a home run. He's down three nothing, but he settled in He kind of figured, hey, my offense is going to get going at some point. And when it was all said and done, after throwing twenty three pitches in the first inning, he goes seven innings, gives up three earned runs, strikes out six, and really only eighty four pitches. So he just settled in after that long first inning, and I thought he will the difference in the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a fantastic outing for him. The Giants pushed him early in that first thing. You thought you were going to be able to kind of get him to wobble a little bit. He didn't come off a great start in Pittsburgh, so it wasn't like he was riding with a lot of confidence. But the quick inning after quick inning after quick inning, you get your guys back in the dugout, and that offense just kept the Giants on defense. It was there pushing them. They kept leaning on and getting the leadoff runner on that. Ultimately, he just fell into a nice groove. And you know, for all that being said, he pitched around the little league home run, got a big strikeout of Raffie Devers, and you know, kudos to him. And again it goes back to that bullpen. Yet again able to just kind of shut it down, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Typer. What's on deck? Sponsored by your California four dealers. The Cincinnati Reds come to town, a team that made the postseason last year. Disappointing season this year. Still a lot of young talent. And for the Giants, we're going to see Adrian Hauser back in the rotation on Tuesday. So wizen Hunt Monday, Howser Tuesday, roup Wednesday. So another opportunity for a young guy and and howserback in there on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, Howser's earned it, right, He's gone fifteen scoreless and he's been throwing the ball extremely well out of the bullpen and being the bulk guy. And I know he wants to be this, be the guy in the rotation. That's why he signed that two year deal because he wants to be a starter. But ultimately, for wizen Hunt, gotta start building, gotta start. How am I going to protect my change up? How am I gonna steal strikes with something else? Because my change up is so elite and I'm interested to see the next progression for him.
Speaker 1: All right, That's what's on next? Sponsored by your California four dealers and the legendary Ford F one fifty truck. Visit by four now dot com today to find yours once again. Final score five to four, Red Sox over the Giants. Will have the game highlights when we come back to Fenway.