Speaker 1: KNBR Extra Innings with Bill Laski keeps the postgame Roland live right here.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by Lenard's Markets of the Bay Area. Quite simply the best.
Speaker 3: On KNBR one oh four five FM and six eighty Am. The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Back on Extra Innings with Bill Laski. Giants Lou's a tough one today, eight to nothing. That's their twelfth shutout of the year and have three shutouts in their last eight games. Tomorrow one oh five, Logan Web's going to try to win the third game, the rubber game of a three game match with the Detroit Tigers against Troy Melton, the right hander. He's twenty five years old. First pitch right here in kamb Are at one oh five. All right, my good friend from kron four Sports, Jordans Me next, Ben Ross, Ben, how are you on a Saturday?
Speaker 2: Bill doing great? How are you? Oh?
Speaker 1: It could have been better, But I think a lot of fans are saying what I'm saying. I think what we're seeing on the field is in what we're looking for in prospects and better played baseball. I love the one caller I had about fundamentals of the game has slipped away a little bit. And I would love to hear what's your take is and when you're watching this team, especially today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you're right.
Speaker 2: Today was definitely a tough one to watch from a fundamental standpoint, and some shaky fielding there and obviously just the two hits and one that you'd like to forget. I mean, I think that unfortunately, this has sort of been the Giants all season long, like one night they'll look good.
Speaker 3: The next night they'll look terrible.
Speaker 2: Just just no consistency right now. And you know, I know it's obviously it's a very different team than we saw earlier in the year.
Speaker 3: Like you said, we're getting look.
Speaker 2: At some of the younger guys, and you know, these next couple of months will hopefully be an opportunity for some of the younger guys to get major league playing time. And I think there are going to be some growing pains, and I think you are going to see some nights or days like today. It's just you know, it's an opportunity for all these guys to prove what they can do, and hopefully it's a chance for the front office and everyone else to sort of scout and see, you know, who's gonna hopefully be a contributing part of this team next year. But yeah, tonight, tonight's one he'd like to forget. Hopefully they bounce back tomorrow and look a lot better.
Speaker 1: Well, Ben, you know, the conversation really circles around Land and Roupe. He's pitched very well in every game is pitched, but he's always gets in these innings where he just kind of loses it and ball one, ball two, ball three, ball four. And he did it again today after five stellar innings in which he really kept composure, kept his pitch count down, and you start thinking, man, he's dealing today after five innings, sixty five pitches, forty four for strikes, how can you change that? All of a sudden in one inning and he couldn't throw a strike, and he ends up walking off with bases loaded with three walks, and he looked upset at Tony Vatello. Tony did the post game, said, hey, he's a competitor. I understand where he's coming from, but I don't think you're really want to see young pictures do that to a manager? We your thoughts on Land.
Speaker 2: And Roof, well, and I think you don't want to see a picture, do that when they've just walked the bases loaded, and like you said, he's a guy who has had these innings where he just unravels and loses the strike zone. I want to throw the same question back at you, Bill, because you're the pitcher, so you tell me. I mean, how does a guy look so so in control for you know, five innings and then we've seen this multiple times throughout the season where it's just this one inning where he kind of loses the strike zone. It kind of reminds me of Rokie Sasaki with the Dodgers. Obviously, you know, I think Sasaki maybe has more dominant stuff, but it's the same kind of thing where I don't know if it's if it's a mental block or if it's something with the delivery that he just sort of loses. But obviously that's going to be the next step for.
Speaker 3: Land and Roof.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think if you're Tony Bytello right now, you're keeping a really close eye on Roupe because as good as he can look early on, you have to be aware of those warning signs where it might come apart and you don't want to leave him in too long. And so for a guy like Landon Roupe.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Something he's got to work on and address this offseason, because you're not going to really be able to rely on him if he has these types of innings. I mean five walks again today for the game. That's really been the issue for him. He's had a lot of outings with four or five six walks, and you just can't win at this level that way.
Speaker 1: And it seems when you look at his last few outings in San Diego, it happened in the second inning. In Milwaukee, it happened in the third inning. It just seems like one inning he just either tries to nibble and he gets behind, or he tries to spin it too much and the balls miss and they're low. But he chosels to strike zone at times like today is like I said, for five innings, he was aggressive, he was going right at guys, a good change up today. When you look at his missed thirty one changeups, twenty four sinkers, twenty four curve balls, that's a beautiful three pitch mix. And in the sixth inning everything unraveled. He couldn't throw a strike. A couple of them were four straight. That's where the mental side of the game really has to come over him, and I think that's one thing he's going to have to really dwell on moving forward. He's only twenty seven years old. He's got lights out stuff. Look what he did for five innings. But I think the mental side of the game, either the catcher's got to come out there. Message did come out there, it did didn't work, and this is something that he's going to have to get over.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, too, Bill, because I feel like a lot of pitchers when they kind of lose the strike zone, oftentimes veteran pitchers at least have you know, they kind of see what's working. You talk about his three pitch mix, and a lot of the time the better pitchers out there, you know, they've got one pitch that might be working that day. There. It's not necessarily the fastball. Sometimes it's the curveball they can throw for a strike, or the slider or whatever it may be. I mean, is that something that maybe lending Roop needs to get back to, having a better feel for which pitch he can throw for a strike when he needs to.
Speaker 1: Well, when I pitched, I had a sinker slider. So I had balls moving inside outside, But the best thing I had was a crossing fastball that went like a bullet straight and I could throw that when I went too to oh, or if I had a challenge a hitter to get ahead, and then you go with the movement. But he doesn't throw that many today. He only threw two, and he threw four cutters. And a cutter's kind of like a fastball, just kind of slides to the left a little bit. And I think those are the two pitches he has to increase on to throw more strikes. Hey, it's nothing to nothing going in the sixth inning, and he walks the first hitter, and he walks the second hitter, and then he gets Riley Green on a change up again. Riley Green struck out three times on change ups, but he went to that purpose and then the next hitter he walks on four straight pitches. So it's got to be mentally to say, all right, let me throw this guy for a strike. Challenge this guy, as my old pitching coaches would say, I'd rather you back up third after a hit than backing up third on three walks. And you're really not backing them up. You're literally upset and you're getting madder and madder, and you start aiming the pitch. You start overthrowing the pitch and the movement on the pitch, especially with abs Ben, the pitches are tighter now, so you have to challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you're right on that, And especially with a guy like Lyndon Rukho only gives up two hits today and looks so good through five innings. I guess that's where you do have to trust yourself and realize, yeah, you know, I don't have to nibble. I don't have to hit the corner. It's nice to but you know, if you mix your your pitches and you mix velocity and location, you can get guys out without being too precise.
Speaker 1: And Ben, look at the two hits. He gave up the little spinner down the first base line, off the end of the bay and had the fly ball or left field runs over and it falls in hit. So in my mind, I'm like, they're not hitting right. Yeah, they're not hitting right. Not go at you.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He basically had not allowed a legitimate hit hit up to that point for the whole game.
Speaker 1: So then you look at on the other side. You know, the fundamentals. We talked about it fore times with a couple of callers. I had a fundamental baseball it's really during the game. You can hit infield, you can hit altfield. You're at the games, you see all the pre pregame activities and all the things they do with drills. But it's the younger players that need to start going all the way back a little league when you say, if the balls hit to me, what do I do? You know, that's really the basic way of every infielder and outfielder, and I think that's what sometimes that these young players. I don't know if they're thinking too much, they're looking at their defensive cart too much, because some of the fundamentals are bad baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you're right. I mean, look, it's not a lack of effort. These guys do put in the work. I see it pre game they're working on technique and everything like that. But you're right, a lot of it is mental. I remember last year, I think it was where Elliott Ramos.
Speaker 3: Was going through a rough defensive stretch.
Speaker 2: And he was pretty honest with the media, kind of just said that he was pressing, he was trying too hard.
Speaker 3: Like you know, he did get in his head about.
Speaker 2: Making these mistakes and almost wanted to make up for it, and sometimes that was the problem.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes keeping it simple is better, just like the little leaguers do, right, just say, you know, go through it in your mind, where's.
Speaker 3: The play going to be?
Speaker 2: What am I going to do if it comes to me in this situation? And I mean, if nothing else, that's a good way to keep your mind in the game and stay on it. And you're right, I think that is something where a lot of these younger players struggle.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Part of it might also just be that they're adjusting to so much at the major league level that maybe sometimes the fundamentals are the thing that get forgotten when when there's so much else that they're worried about and you know, going on and it.
Speaker 1: Really comes down to ben about confidence, right, It builds that the confidence are a player, and I think that's the key. I mean, thirty five thousand people out there again today, you know, watching your back and you're making the strangest mistakes and you know, even pitchers are not covering first base when a ground ball's hit or or infielder's not flipping a double play court correctly. There's been so many different fundamentals that have gone backwards for this Giants team. And and like I said, you and I have been out there, we watch what they do, but it's in game is what they need their work?
Speaker 3: Right, No, you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean it's obviously it's a it's a lot easier to do it when it's when you're when nobody's watching, when it's before the game, right and the fans aren't really paying attention yet.
Speaker 3: And there's no stakes.
Speaker 2: You're right, in game, it's it's a completely different level of pressure. And again, look, it's not an easy sport sometimes because there is a lot physically and mentally that you got a balance that's going through your mind. But I think to your point, confidence is so important because if you're trying too hard, if you're trying to do too much, I mean, just like in life, if you're you're trying too hard, sometimes that's when it goes the worst. You just have to relax and sort of let your trust your training and you know obviously mentally know what you're.
Speaker 3: Going to do. But not worry about it too much.
Speaker 1: Ben Ross joining me of course. You can see him on Crayn for Sports does a great job over there anchoring, and you can also follow him on x at Ben ross tweets. Very simple to look up. But before the game today, five players got put on the Wall of Fame. Every one of them had a World Series ring on them. Eleven World Series rings on all five of them. A nice array of some great players, some great memories. What'd you think of the ceremony today?
Speaker 2: I thought it was really cool and I was really excited that I got to to talk to them afterwards. You know, a group of media after the ceremony got to chat with them, and I mean, it's just fun to see those guys together again. I think they really enjoy it. That's you know what. The honor is fantastic and well deserved for all of them, but they talk about getting to spend time with each other and for their families to get to spend time with each other.
Speaker 3: That's what kind of stuck out to me. I think it was Buster Posey who.
Speaker 2: Said, you know, everyone pays attention to the players and how much time that we spent together on the field and during our careers. But people don't realize, you know, our families, our wives spend a lot of time together, our kids. You know, Brendan Belt was saying his kids didn't care at all about the Wall of Fame. They were just excited to see the other players kids that they used to hang out with. So, I mean, it's really cool when you see those guys come together again, because it is I mean, you know, better than me being a part of a team like that. It really does become like your family.
Speaker 1: Well, it so exciting to see their kids and how grown up they've been. You know, Buster Posey son and daughter. I remember we're very tiny when he played. And then you start looking around at brand In Crawford's five kids and they're all almost in high school now. You know, I think it's over grade and you start thinking about all the little families they had when they played, and you know, we're all older. But those families were sure excited today for their dads.
Speaker 2: Well, absolutely they were, And I think it's just a nice chance for those guys to reminisce and for fans too. I mean, look, this is not been a fun season for a lot of Giants fands, so you know, you don't want.
Speaker 3: To live in the past, and I know Giants fans.
Speaker 2: Are probably tired of living based off those three World series. But it is nice to reminisce and hear these guys talk about some of their favorite memories playing together and some of the some of the moments that they remember. I mean, those guys really built something special. And you know, for Buster Posey in particular, it was nice to see him kind of take off the you know, the GM had or the President of Baseball Operations hat and put on his player hat again and kind of talk about some of the memories and the experiences from those from his playing days because it has been a tough year and and hopefully, hopefully these kinds of things can take some of the take some of the heat off for a day and let him remember the front of baseball. And it was nice hearing the other guys talk about Posey too. You know, to a man, all the other players that went in today have a lot of confidence.
Speaker 3: In Buster Posey.
Speaker 2: They all say, you know, he's the smartest guy at the group, he's the best baseball mind. He's going to get this thing figured out. They all really believe that he knows what he's doing, and you know, it's hard to argue that from his playing days he is a great baseball mind.
Speaker 3: So we'll see if he can help.
Speaker 2: Get the Giants back back on the back end the winning track.
Speaker 1: Ben Ross from kr and Channel four Sports joining me on the X Learning post game show. Each one of these players had something special in them, from you know, when you looked at Joe Panic with the play in Kansas City with the backhand, you know, and a double play that was so instrumental in winning that World Series, the Pablo Sandoval hitting three home runs in the first game of the World Series. You went on and on from Brandon Belt hitting that home run in Washington, Brandon Crawford with such defensive plays, then hitting a Grand Slam against the Pittsburgh Pirates in the elimination game, and then you take Buster Posey on some of the things he did for me in the National League Rookie of the Year to becoming the National League MVP, and of course the home run against Latos in the NLCS. Every one of these guys had a piece of those puzzles of winning the World Series. And I think you probably saw that today.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what they all talked about.
Speaker 2: It was cool to see Pablo's the end of all kind of lists off each guy's great moment that it was a good question. I can't remember who asked it. Basically, you know, what's what's one memory from your career that you really remember? And you know, Pablo Sandoval took it and mentioned all of those plays that you had talked about, and you're right. I mean, I think that's what was really special about those teams is that it required everybody and so many different guys stepped up in different ways.
Speaker 3: That was just huge.
Speaker 2: I mean, they were truly the ultimate team. And the other thing that stood out to me today is I think it was Joe Panic sort of talking about how every player on those teams they were the same guy in the clubhouse as they were on the field, and in their personal life too. They were able to sort of be themselves.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He joked that, you know, he said, basically, Pablo Sandoval with the energy guy he jumped at. Brandon Belt was half asleep, you know, taking his naps up until game time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: But but then the one thing that they all had in common is truly competitive, right, The ultimate competitors, loved winning, hated to lose, and it came through.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think I love.
Speaker 1: But Buster Posey said, Buster Posey said, you can't be scared to play this game, and Bruce Bochi said that also about all five of them. They played smart baseball, They were fundamentally sound, and they played together. And I think when you look at this whole team of all five of them, and I can still picture them playing out there, I'm sure you do too, and I'm sure a lot of the fans were at the game today could picture all those guys in the Giants uniform and what they perceived to do in bringing three World Series to the Giants and the Giants fans, not all of them. But when you look at Buster and Pablo having three, and then you have Crawford and Belt having two and Panic being having won, it's still that family of all five and they held a beautiful, beautiful ceremony today.
Speaker 2: Well what's crazy is it really hasn't been that long since these guys were playing. I mean, right, I mean Brandon Crawford just retired a couple of years ago, obviously, Posey not that long ago, Brandon Belt. So yeah, you can really remember these guys playing, and you're right, I mean it was cool to see them sort of come up together. They commented on how it was fun for all five of them to go in to this, you know, go on to the Wall of Fame in the same class, because they did kind of all come up together. I mean a little bit staggered, but it was fun hearing them reminisce about the first time that they all met each other and how they were in similar positions just breaking through to the major leagues. And I think we saw all of their careers sort of grow together, especially when you talk about guys like Brandon, Belt, Crawford and Posey, and then Joe Panic sort of talked about how those guys all helped him and having already had one World Series, and yeah, I mean again, those guys, you can see how much they mean to each other and how much this city means to them, and how much this organization means to them. And I think for the fans that must have been really really cool to be a part of today.
Speaker 1: Ben Ross joined me for a couple more minutes on the Extra Any postgame show. When you saw the coaching staff out there, I thought that was pretty cool with Bruce Bochie, Dave Righetti, Mark Garner, Tim Flannery, Ron Wotis. That coaching staff was authentic and boy they put a lot of hours in detail into winning three World Series. And I liked when they all spoke they said some things about different pitchers and players and teams. I thought that was well deserved by all the coaches speaking up.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and you're right, you're talking about some great baseball lids. I mean, I feel so fortunate that those guys are still around the organization, especially having Bruce Bochie back this year, and you know, Dusty Baker has been around as well. I love that some of the great managers are still part of the organization. And boyd they certainly did do a great job. I mean, I think they were as instrumental as the players were during those years, and just a special group all around.
Speaker 1: Well. Been a couple of days ago, Mike cruco Is calling it at his career over at the end of the year, a special man, a special voice the Giants fans has listened to over thirty years. Of course, I got to play with him on the same pitching staff at him for a couple of years. I've got to know him, but just a genuine person, just a friendly person, a friendly guy, that voice you always want to hear when that game comes on. Of course, illness is hurting him each Like he said, it was months weeks now it's days, and it's going to be a hard time. It's going to be a hard time to fill that slot. And Kype staying on, John Miller's staying on, Dave Fleming staying on. But this is a big miss. This is a big chair that's going to be empty. And I think a lot of giants are starting to understand that and see it. I'd love to hear what you have to say about him.
Speaker 3: I think you said it great.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was a great pitcher, he's an outstanding broadcast for one of the best, and and like you said, he's just such a great genuine person. He's so friendly at the ballpark and welcoming and wants to catch up with everybody. And yeah, I mean, I think at least for me personally, when I when I heard the news, not necessarily shocking or surprising. You knew that this was probably going to come at some point, but it's still it hits you hard because this is a guy who has basically been such a such a huge part of the Giants for so long in so many different ways, and beyond the Giants, a part of the Bay Area community. And it really is going to feel like something is missing next year when he's not calling into games anymore. And again, thank goodness, like you said, Dwane Kuiper will still be doing it, John Miller, Dave Fleming. I mean, I feel like Giants fans do do understand and appreciate how lucky they are with this group of broadcasters. I mean, these are these are all elite Hall of Fame level broadcasters, and I think when you talk about Kruko's Mike Kruko's impact in baseball, it goes beyond the Bay Area. You know, all these national writers have come out and talked about how good he is at his job and how fun he is to listen to. I think it was Jason Stark from The Athletic, who's a big national baseball writer back he wrote that, you know, he's stayed up late watching countless Giants games just to just to hear Kruk and Kype and to you.
Speaker 3: Know, learn something about the game and be entertained.
Speaker 2: And uh yeah, those guys Krook and Kype in particular, Boy, what a what a partnership they've had, and just I don't think I've ever seen as good of a broadcast Proof when you talk about chemistry and teaching something will having fun, They're just They're fantastic. So I'm glad that Dwayne is sticking around and hopefully we'll see Kruco out at the ballpark even if he's not on the broadcast.
Speaker 1: Well, Ben, I want to thank you for your time on a Saturday and I know you got work to do, and of course everybody gets to watch you on television KRON four. But a great job again connecting with me, Ben, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Anytime. Appreciate you having me on. Thanks a lot.
Speaker 1: That was Ben Ross. You can watch him on KRON for Sports. Has a great job as an anchor coming up next. I think I've talked about it before. I was a big Detroit Tiger fan back in the day when I grew up in Toledo and the nineteen sixty eight Tiger team was somebody that I chaerish, somebody that I've just made me into the game that I love the game of baseball. From Al Caline to Willie Horton and Norm Cash to Bill Freehand. But the pitching staff had something to do with this. Denny McClain, Mickey Lolitch, Earl Wilson, and my guest today, John Hiller. That's going to come up next. John had eighty seven wins, one hundred and twenty five saves in his fifteen year career. He was a World Series champ in nineteen sixty eight in All Star in American League. He grew up in Canada and he was in a Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. I got a chance to talk to John Hiller this week, and that's coming up next right here on the Externing Postgame Show on K and B R, John Hiller and I discussed baseball with the Detroit Tiger phenom