Speaker 1: And we continue at two oh five in the afternoon on The John Phillip Show, mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 2: Well, John, it's happened yet again. A sewage pipe ruptured in Tijuana. So you know what that means for the river valley in San Diego County.
Speaker 3: You can right here.
Speaker 1: Do those poor people ever get good news?
Speaker 2: No, you are living in what seems like a third world country if you are living right on the border with Tijuana. My favorite part of this story is that everyone's willing to do everything to fix this problem except ask Mexico to stop dumping raw sewage directly into the river. Apparently their sewage treatment plant was built when Tijuana was a third the size that it is today. Maybe we got to buy them a new plant. Why do we have to buy Mexico infrastructure? They're a country, they collect taxes.
Speaker 1: Why can't they do it because they're not gonna What what leverage do we have for Tiwana to clean up that river?
Speaker 2: What? What exactly can we do to them? I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's gotta be ways we can threaten them and punish them if we want to.
Speaker 2: Well, doesn't seem like we're even trying. And this has been a failure of several different administrations, including the current federal one, the last federal one, the wonderful this has been going on for forty years?
Speaker 1: When was it? Didn't We have Mike Netterer on the program and he said that he used to live at Imperial Beach a long time ago, and he said it was unbearable back then.
Speaker 4: You can smart right here.
Speaker 1: It covers a lot of geography too. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number? What a one hundred two to two five two two two. Well, this week everyone has been focused on the election here in California. However, that doesn't mean that other things have just gone by the wayside. Right now in Sacramento, there was a big change that took place over at the high speed Rail that not a lot of people know about because they've been focused on the governor's race and the mayor's race and everything else.
Speaker 2: For the latest shakeup in management at California's high speed rail authority, here is case a three.
Speaker 5: Leadership shake up at the California High Speed Rail Board of Directors. Now, the board voted unanimously today for a new board chairman Steve Kawa.
Speaker 2: Ger, I wonder how much they're all getting paid.
Speaker 1: Good question.
Speaker 5: We've been working to figure out what happened to the board's previous leader, Tom Richards.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He hadn't been on the board since twenty ten and was board chairman since twenty twenty. Our case here, THR political director ash Zavala was there for the vote, and you tried to speak with the board's new leader. Are they talking to you? What did he have to say?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I'm going to guess they're not talking to Ashley.
Speaker 1: I think that's a safe bet.
Speaker 2: The number one qualification to be on the board of directors for high speed Rail it doesn't matter if you have an engineering background, you know how to procure government contracts. Your one qualification is you do not talk to Ashley Savalla.
Speaker 7: King to you.
Speaker 8: What did you have to say, Well, I mean, so, for the second time in about a month, board leaders, project leaders, I should say, are dodging interviews with US Governor Gavin Newsom abruptly appointed Steve Kawa to the board last month to replace Fresno developer Tom Richards as its leader. Kawa's career has been mainly in politics, in San Francisco. He has worked in the San Francisco Mayor's office under a few different leaders, including Gavin Newsom. He has worked with Newsom for decades.
Speaker 1: Oh great, it's another news So it's a political crony. It's a political patronage job for someone who doesn't know anything about trains.
Speaker 2: That's what that board is. It is a place for people to land who are termed out and who are not electable.
Speaker 8: The board unanimously voted for him as the leader of the High Speed Rail Authorities Board of Directors, and Kawa there vowed to move this embattled bullet train project forward. And the meeting today the board specifically approved a three point five billion dollar contract for tracking systems to try to start laying down track this year.
Speaker 2: They haven't even procured a contract. Who laid down the track, And there's already questions about who got this contract because that's a whole lot of money.
Speaker 1: This is so stupid that we're even fooling around with this still.
Speaker 8: And the meeting today, the board specifically approved a three point five billion dollar contract for tracking systems to try to start laying down track this year. The board also approved a controversial business plan that will be in effect for the next two years. It includes proposals that would allow the state to take over land and tax money from local governments.
Speaker 2: It also proposed Yeah, the cities like Bakersfield, like Merced, like Fresno, they were up in arms about this. The high speed Rail Authority says through their new business plan that Hey, any tax money that comes from the economic development that we're creating from this rail, we're taking that tax money. You're not getting that tax money. How is that even legal? Good question.
Speaker 8: It also proposes to allow the construction of data centers and battery storage facilities to help pay for the project.
Speaker 2: Well, again, that's how we're going to pay for this thing. Amazon's going to build a bunch of server farms all along the rail trail. And by the way, just think about how liberal that language is there for a second. If they think that they're entitled to tax dollars because they're bringing work into the region, then what are they entitled to If there's a McDonald's that's selling big macs, they get a cut of that. Because the guys working on the train are buying the big mas, so they should be able to get a cut of the tax dollars from the McDonald's. There is no proper funding plan for this train, So this is the latest idea shake down all the local governments that are along the initial segment. And you're talking about a bunch of local governments that don't have a lot of money to begin with.
Speaker 1: No, and I would imagine that this project is unbelievably disruptive to so many of those communities because you have a lot of construction trucks, and you have a lot of people who are there, but you don't have a product the public can use.
Speaker 2: You remember the story we did a couple of years ago about the tattoo artist in downtown Fresno who had a shop that's right across the street from the future Downtown Fresno high speed rail station. And not only did all the construction crews take over his parking spaces, but he has to close up shop and cannot do any tattoo and in the middle of the day because there is so much dust in the air, it could get into somebody's blood.
Speaker 1: People think because there's something that is famous or something that is people are talking about that's going on in your community, that it's always a good thing for example, I live very close to Barack Obama. When he left the White House, he spends some of his time here in California, and he lives very, very very close to me. Now, when you say Barack Obama, do you mean the former president or the guy who changed his name to Barack Obama to run for governor. The former president. And when he first moved out here, every time he would go someplace, it was a massive pain in the ass where they would shut down the roads, and they would shut down the roads that led to the road that he was going to be driving on. And if he went to the gym, they shut down the gym, they shut down the golf course, they took all the cards. It's a massive pain in the ass. And you go, well, you know, he put your city on the map because the president moved there. Yeah, maybe it sounds cool to someone who's not here, but if you're here, it's unbelievably disruptive.
Speaker 8: Well, again, these are just proposals. During the meeting, Kawa said, it's important to be transparent about all of this.
Speaker 9: I actually love this theme about communication. I've talked to a lot of you, and I've said in my thirty five years in public service. A lot of issues and problems are a result of two things.
Speaker 2: It's this guy from Boston. It sounds like it sounds like Jim McDonell.
Speaker 9: Miscommunication and a lack of communication. So I know the Authority and ian and the whole staff as well as this Board of Directors wants to make sure that we double down and triple down on communicating to aipatns throughout the state of California.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we got Cliff Claven run on the High speed rail.
Speaker 8: Okay. So then we followed up on that. We asked High Speed Rail Authority staff before the meeting started for an interview with Kawa. I also waited for Kawa after the meeting to talk.
Speaker 10: Here's what happened, mister.
Speaker 8: Chair, mister chair, do you have time to speak with us on camera?
Speaker 2: What was that about communication and transparency?
Speaker 1: And then the reporters are chasing him down because he won't talk to him and he doesn't open his mouth when he walks by the reporters. Yep.
Speaker 8: In that Cliff Kauwa is seen walking away with the High Speed Rail Authorities chief spokesman Peter Whippy.
Speaker 2: As we reported, there's a name Peter Whippy, the spokesperson for the High Speed Rail's name is Whippy.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he's ever hired a dominatrix.
Speaker 8: In that clip, Kawa is seen walking away with the High Speed Rail Authorities chief spokesman Peter Whippy. As we reported last month, Whippy on behalf of California's High speed Rail CEO, Ian Chowdry. Whippy tried to limit the questions we could ask the CEO in an interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in Chawdre, the CEO of high speed Rail, the guy they brought in from Europe that was supposed to fix this thing, who had the weird domestic incident, was all set to do an interview with Ashley Zabala, but Whippy said, if you're going to interview our boy, Ian Chawdrey, you do not get to ask any questions about his fiance who works at the contractor that is getting paid by the High Speed Rail.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think they wanted to know about the nine to one one call either.
Speaker 8: We would not agree, so that interview didn't happen last month. Meanwhile, we have reached out to Tom Richards repeatedly. He is the ex chairman of the board. We've asked him for comment. We are still waiting to hear BACKT.
Speaker 1: Cospiracy.
Speaker 2: Okay, how much do you think Tom Richards, who's been on this board since twenty ten, has made on a project that still does not exist.
Speaker 1: And Gavin Newsom regards this as a massive win, as a success story because people are making money off of it. No one can use the train. The train will never actually be completed. No one will ever ride this thing. It's just a figment of our imagination. But if you say that it's a failure, they'll snap at you on social media. They'll come after you viciously because they think it's a huge success.
Speaker 2: It's a big jobs program and it will lead to economic development. And the high speed rail. Just authorize themselves to steal all that tax money to continue to fund the high speed rail.
Speaker 1: Add this to the list of things this state just cannot do right. Everyone else can count the votes in one night, it takes us a month and a half. Everyone else can send a black and white to a seven eleven when someone drives a stolen Kia through it. Well, actually, in most places that doesn't happen. Just here in the insane asylum.
Speaker 8: We've asked him for comment. We are still waiting to hear.
Speaker 2: Back t conspiracy.
Speaker 6: The Governor's talked a lot about transparency, So.
Speaker 4: What's he saying?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I've reached out to his office about the situation, laying out what happened with the new board chairman. What does the governor make of this new leadership so far, the handling of transparency so far the Governor's office at this point is it commenting?
Speaker 2: Boy?
Speaker 7: Is he?
Speaker 2: And Gang? We'll talk about anything in everything except anything pertaining to what's actually going on in the state of California.
Speaker 1: All they want to talk about is Washington, d C. Trump, Florida, Texas. They're really, really, really quiet when it comes to their own massive failures.
Speaker 8: And I essentially just what I've the feedback that I have received just basically is that, you know, this is call's first day. Peter Whippy did send me a statement saying that he was focused on getting this board activity done and so hopefully we can hear from at least mister kwas.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: You go, that's the latest on Zavala getting stone walled by Whippy.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Cindy and coast to Mesa Cindy.
Speaker 4: Hello, Yeah, just a comment about the border. Maybe the US, until Mexico costs up some money for their own infrastructure, can limit the number of people coming in and going across the border in Tijuana.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then where are people going to buy their medication?
Speaker 4: Very true, they'll have to go through Tikati, but it will but it will impede Tijuana for the time being. And I don't think that the people doing business in Tijuana on either side is going to like that.
Speaker 1: Well, how about this, You really want to put pressure on them. Ban the banks from allowing remittances to Mexico until they stop polluting that river.
Speaker 4: Just shut off the money line at the Walmart, at the Walmart customer service, all the money going back and forth out of the country.
Speaker 1: That's right. Shut that down until they figure out how to put a sewage treatment facility that works into Juana so they stop polluting that river. And what's wild to me is you have so many of these politicians who are all about the environment. All they want to talk about is global warming and the fishies and why we all need to get out of our SUVs and we shouldn't be able to barbecue in the backyard all that stuff. Well, how come you're not offended when there is a river in your state that is polluted for no good reason other than Mexico doesn't want to upgrade their infrastructure and people have to breathe in those toxic fumes and get sick because you know, people are going to get cancer from this, because it's not just the raw sewage that Mexico's jumping in there. They're also putting chemicals and other things that should be dealt with in different ways directly into that river, and so people are going to deal with long term health consequences as a result of that, and nobody seems to care.
Speaker 4: And you have all those beautiful commercials about San Diego, but they don't talk about that.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah. I mean we talk about a lack of housing here and how we don't have enough units for people to live in. Well, that's a whole area that no one is willing to live in that can avoid it because of that nasty smell. But if all of a sudden you make Imperial Beach smell like the rest of the beaches in California, that would be a highly desirable place for people to live. People would be flocked into that community and want to live in Imperial Beach. But no one's going to want to live there if it smells like an outhouse.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, you could say the same for Tujuana. If the coast off of Tujuana were clean, then they might have, you know, people coming and building things there too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah. But can you imagine being a realtor down there, come to Imperial Beach where your entire city is going to smell like a porta potty and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is you're gonna get cancer?
Speaker 4: Yike, not good. I'm not going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. Thank you for the call. I appreciate it. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. And Randy. Now that we're about a halfway about a half hour away from the end of the show, if you want to continue listening to us after we sign off, that's easy to do.
Speaker 2: All you gotta do is search for the John Phillips Show. Wherever you get your podcasts now, you could do that on the Apple Podcasts app. And hey, look at this, we're back in the top ten of all Apple podcast shows in the government category. Not sure why we're in the government category, but I'll take it. The John Phillips Show is the number nine show in the United States on government. How about that, Johnny?
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: We're coming for you next American Potential in law Fair Daily. You can also get us on iHeartRadio. I don't know how we rank on that app. You can also get us on Spotify. I'm telling you right now, the one that's really growing, the thing that everyone is into right now is doing the old gascone.
Speaker 12: Google on YouTube.
Speaker 2: YouTube is where so many people are getting not just their video podcast but they're audio podcasts as well. And all of our shows automatically get posted to the channel Cumulus News Talk, which is all of the local stations in our company, and right now ours is the most popular show on there, or the most popular show on Cumulus News Talk on Apple Podcasts, but we're also the most popular show on Cumulus News Talk on YouTube. So you can subscribe for free to that YouTube dot com slash at Cumulus News Talk and you can help us out there as well. Subscribe download the episodes. You got plenty of room on your phone otherwise, what's going to be on there? Pictures of your cat?
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. And right now it's time to open up the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 13: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 1: This Wow, Wow, what's up here?
Speaker 14: Dundun Dundun Dunk rereads the Califonia Crime Bladder.
Speaker 13: With John.
Speaker 1: And this edition takes us to the land of John Wooden and Bill Walton.
Speaker 2: A homeless man has been arrested and is currently being held without bail after trying to break into the dorms and attack UCLA students, mostly females. More on this, we go to NBCLA.
Speaker 11: A sex assault sausage is in jail with al bail after he allegedly.
Speaker 1: That rhymed maybe she could be there.
Speaker 11: A sex assault sauspage is in jail with al bail after he allegedly attacked several women on UCLA's campus.
Speaker 4: NBC fours Macy isn't.
Speaker 2: The UCLA campus where they're planning to have the Olympic Village in two years.
Speaker 1: That's the plan.
Speaker 11: NBC four is Macy Jenkins live in Westwood tonight with more details. Macy Hi Kathy Well.
Speaker 10: Campus police say that a twenty year old man is responsible for at least four assaults on female students. He's now behind bars, but the school says it's increasing patrols and warned students to stay alert when walking at night.
Speaker 2: Even on the campus of one of the most famous schools in California.
Speaker 1: You would expect this kind of thing at USC but not UCLA. Yeah, this is supposed to be the one that's in the good part of town.
Speaker 10: UCLA is a bustling campus home to more than forty five thousand students, but lurking in the dark, targeting women, police say has been.
Speaker 2: A I remember the first time I went to a Rams game when they came back to USC for those few years before they built so far, and boy, oh boy, was I not prepared for the neighborhood that surrounds USC.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's an experience.
Speaker 10: Ucla is a bustling campus home to more than forty five thousand students, but lurking in the dark targeting women. Police say has been a homeless man with no connection to the university.
Speaker 2: He's not a dropout, has been a homeless man.
Speaker 10: With no connection to the university.
Speaker 15: It obviously makes me really nervous.
Speaker 12: I think that's.
Speaker 13: Definitely like concerning.
Speaker 10: On Friday, UCLA Police Department arrested twenty nine year old Olamu yee wah a kinda nusie.
Speaker 1: For a series, John, you want to give it a try, not even going to try.
Speaker 10: Twenty nine year old Olamu yee wah a kinda nusie for a series of assault?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 2: How many names? Is that?
Speaker 1: It sounds like someone who probably we can deport.
Speaker 10: Twenty nine year old Olamu yee wah a kinda.
Speaker 2: Nusie for us. It sounds like that CBS reporter Serene Branson when she had the stroke on the air.
Speaker 1: It kind of does.
Speaker 10: Twenty nine year old Olamu yee wah a kinda nusie for a series of assaults during which he allegedly approached women, physically attacked them, and attempted to restrain or sexually assault them.
Speaker 2: That's just one of our unhoused in's. John.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, let's spend more money on programs for him thirty years.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he's got a motel and inside safe.
Speaker 10: Thirty year student mikey Chen says, the man is well known for hanging around with a clipboard.
Speaker 2: Who he's definitely a clipboard.
Speaker 1: What is he collecting signatures for a kidney bill? Kidney dialysis?
Speaker 9: Who?
Speaker 13: We definitely see him on campus on Brunwalk.
Speaker 16: He just kind of stands out there trying to ask you questions and then get you to sign like some form he has, like some petition or something like that.
Speaker 2: I think you called it. I think this is an almeless paid signature gatherer.
Speaker 13: Like some form he has, like some petition or something like that. I think most I mean, what.
Speaker 2: Is his move Here he hands you the clipboard, You say, wait, I don't have a pen, and he says, I get a pen right here, It's in my pocket. Why don't you just grab it?
Speaker 1: Who's going to fall for that?
Speaker 16: I think most students, yes, definitely run into him because he's like always out.
Speaker 13: There like pretty much every day and stuff.
Speaker 16: Yeah, he's like very adamant about about having you come over and talking to him and stuff.
Speaker 2: See, here is the problem with the way that our system works. This guy is loitering around a campus that he has no business in, and we can't do anything to remove him from the place he's not supposed to be until he attempts to sexually assault for students. You know, I would love, for just a moment to bring back someone from the World War Two generation and let them listen to this and get their reaction, because I can tell you that ninety nine out of one hundred would just look at you and go So, there's a pervert with a clipboard on a school campus. Why did someone beat the living hell out of them? Back in the day, The way you took care of this problem was with a neighborhood full of baseball bats.
Speaker 1: Those guys would have taken care of it.
Speaker 10: Around eleven to thirty last Thursday night, officers responded to a report of a robbery on Brewin Walk, not far from Drake Stadium. Polissey A Kendanoussi approached a female student from behind, forcefully stole her cell phone, and took off. About thirty minutes later, officers learned of another assault in progress at nearby Cedar Hall. A bystander called for help and chased off the attacker. Officers found him near a campus parking garage and took him into custody. Investigators say they received additional reports of assaults at other residence halls and recovered zip ties, duct tape, and paracord.
Speaker 1: Whoa okay in any other market, Well maybe not New York and Chicago, But if this was going on right now in Florida, or in Texas, or in Idaho or whatever, we would know if this guy was here in legally right now in this report. I bet you that never gets mentioned. His immigration status is just not something that's regarded as relevant here.
Speaker 10: They believe the man used during his attacks.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I don't like that. It's a little sad.
Speaker 2: Now now police are warning, may we get a little more energy out of you man on the street.
Speaker 1: That was a bizarre reaction.
Speaker 2: So four of your classmates almost got raped.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I don't like that. It's a little sad.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 2: What is this next generation going to be.
Speaker 1: Veal?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 10: Police are warning students to report suspicious activity and use the Evening Escort program when walking alone at night.
Speaker 15: I usually feel safe because there's a lot of people nearby, Like everybody's going up in there.
Speaker 2: This is supposed to be the crown jewel of the UC system and you can't walk alone night. I love the fact that instead of them saying, look, we're going to send the cops out there and we're going to find guys like this and we're going to make life real difficult for them, and we're going to make sure they don't bother any girls on this campus ever again. Instead of that, what's the reaction, Well, walk with a buddy, because you never know more guys like this could be lurking in the shadows. It's just like with the copper wire that's being stolen. We don't want to crack down on the people stealing it, so we're just going to make it out of make them solar instead of making them out of copper wire.
Speaker 15: I usually feel safe because there's a lot of people nearby, Like everybody's going up and down the hill, so I feel like safe, secure, But yeah, you never know what could happen around here.
Speaker 1: You see, La is still la. It is one of the toniest parts of Los Angeles. Westwood is very expensive to live in and they have to deal with this.
Speaker 10: The twenty nine year old is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, sexual battery, that is assault and robbery. Now he faced a judge today. He's being held without bail. His next court date is June seventeenth. Reporting live at UCLA tonight, Macy Jenkins, NBC four News.
Speaker 2: So there you go, the prowler arrested. The homeless man who's been wandering around UCLA for quite some time finally gets busted after attempting to sexually assault several different students.
Speaker 1: How is it that they just allowed a creepy bum to just exist on a college campus like that?
Speaker 2: Unreal?
Speaker 1: And right now it's time to reopen the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 13: Is Cash's dummy.
Speaker 1: We couldn't make this stuff up if we tried. I said, hell no, very boy, Let me get up on out of it. It's the California Crime Bloater. And this one takes us to the Castro.
Speaker 2: Somebody slammed into a restaurant with their car in the Castro and just decided to walk out of the car and run away.
Speaker 1: Just left the car right there. Huh yep.
Speaker 2: For more on this, we got a KPIX in the Bay.
Speaker 7: San Francisco police are searching for the driver who was captured on security camera. Footage he drove his car right into two local businesses in the Castro early this morning.
Speaker 17: In the video, the driver can be seen casually walking away from the crash moments after it happened. Nobody on the street was injured, but the businesses are certainly hurting and Soji no, i'm's got the details.
Speaker 12: Hours after a car plowed into Cafe Mystique and Castro Indian restaurant and bar early Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: This isn't even like a smash and grab. This is just a smash.
Speaker 1: Well, how smash do you think the driver was when he did this?
Speaker 12: Staff we're boarding up, cleaning up the debris.
Speaker 15: Driving death pass on a Castro street, It's it's insane.
Speaker 12: Dramatic surveillance video shows this driver crashing his car along the four hundred bloc of Castro Street to San Francisco. Moments after, you can see him walking away before people nearby come to check if anybody else was in the car.
Speaker 2: He opens the door like wait, is anybody in this car? Has anybody hurt? And this guy just like nothing to see here, that's not my car.
Speaker 1: There's tika masala everywhere.
Speaker 13: He opens the.
Speaker 15: Door and he starts to walk away, So basically it's a head and run.
Speaker 12: Narmela Cordions is a manager of Cafe Mystique who was woken up by a call shortly before two am.
Speaker 9: The boss believe the.
Speaker 2: Fire departments that we're trying to figure.
Speaker 12: Out what's going on here.
Speaker 2: Just ma'am, there's a giant hole in your restaurant.
Speaker 1: But here's the good news. You now have a drive through just next door.
Speaker 12: Aj Kotka, the owner of Castro Indian Restaurant and bar, is also in disbelief.
Speaker 3: The car came through that and tour apart of this parklate in a half and hit this.
Speaker 2: Just two Indian restaurants next to each other. It has to be fierce competition. I guess we found the Indian district. Hey, I'm not against it. I love me Sumtika.
Speaker 3: Hear this post here and then from here went to that wall to my neighbors.
Speaker 12: He said. The car damaged everything in its outdoor parklet before ramming into Cafe Mastique. He had put up a fence to keep his business open.
Speaker 3: If it would cost me twenty thousand plus because all of the most of the tables and the chairs got broken and also my heaters and all the means the San France, all.
Speaker 2: Of that beautiful infrastructure. The parklets that some people don't like because they took away parking, but I love because now so many restaurants in San Francisco have patio seating. It got destroyed.
Speaker 3: Rooken and also my haters and all the armamos.
Speaker 2: Before the parklets, it was like, you have a restaurant in San Francisco and there's like two tables out front and that's it. The rest is inside, even if it's a lovely day, which is rare for San Francisco. But the parklets made it that you could eat outside all the time anywhere.
Speaker 3: I'm broken, and also my haters and all arnas.
Speaker 12: The San Francisco Fire Department said. Fortunately there were no reports of any injuries.
Speaker 14: This is a busy time when usually the night life is clothing down. That's when this happened. And the car from the looks of it.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying is alcohol and or drugs was involved.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think everyone listening to this radio program could figure that one out.
Speaker 14: And the car, from the looks of it, came into a high rate of speed. Based on the surveillance book footage.
Speaker 12: Lieutenant Mariano Elias Junior said they received calls that the driver may have been under the influence. When fire crews responded to the scene, they were not able to locate him at the time.
Speaker 14: Did evaluate the building and requested to froment Building Inspection for further investigation on the structural integrity of it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're talking about some old buildings where one giant slam at fifty miles an hour could take out an entire building and make it unsound well, and you're.
Speaker 1: Also talking about a portion of town where a bunch of bars are in that neighborhood. So my guess is that guy was there for a long time. People in that neighborhood know who he is, and he got lit and left the car. It shouldn't take him long to figure out who it was.
Speaker 14: The building has been tagged. It is safe, but it has some structural damage to it around the windows.
Speaker 1: And we'll have to be repaired.
Speaker 12: Meanwhile, for courgions, we lost business.
Speaker 17: We have so many people coming to have breakfast.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, that's you know, if you're hungover and you need a nice breakfast, maybe an Indian spot to really wake you up and you hear the sound of jackhammer. You're not eating there?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this morning, this morning, not at my house, but someone near me had the gardeners over just before six am.
Speaker 2: How is that allowed?
Speaker 1: It's not I was already awake, so I didn't care. I'd rather have it going off then than when I'm doing the radio show. But I can only imagine what everyone else thought.
Speaker 2: What's the point of an hoa if they're not cracking down at six am leaf blowing?
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't my hoa, it was the one on the other side of the fence. Different hoa.
Speaker 2: Now, is this like just a precautionary thing where they've got to have the gardeners come out at six am because it's summertime now and as soon as the sun gets up, the gardeners will physically melt.
Speaker 1: That would be my guess.
Speaker 12: So say that she is picking up the pieces and says more should be done to keep the streets safer.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know what you do about that. Yeah, how'd you vote, lady?
Speaker 2: So there you go, the hit and run that demolished two restaurants in the Castro.
Speaker 1: And if you're that woman, my guess is that you probably have between what thirty and fifty thousand dollars in damage if you had a car come through your wall.
Speaker 2: Hopefully she's got insurance.
Speaker 1: When did that become a thing, because it seems like stories where people drive through walls make the blotter all the time, well specifically when they're done on purpose to break into a seven eleven. We see a lot of that in Oakland all the time. What has just been a thing that will happen is terrible driver, busy street misses the turn, drives into a business. That's true. Drunk driving has been going on since the beginning of the automobile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to imagine although they couldn't do as much damage that there are plenty of people drinking and driving those model ts.
Speaker 1: Well back then it wasn't a big deal.
Speaker 2: I mean, gosh, even fifty years ago, you could have bottles of you got have cans of beer rolling around your front seat, and the officers just like, well, just make sure you get home safely.
Speaker 1: Now, untel mothers against drunk driving. Getting a DUI was like getting a speeding ticket. They just gave you the ticket and usually they'd follow you home or maybe they'd give you a ride home and tell you to come pick up your car the next day. But it wasn't that big of a deal.
Speaker 2: And I think it's something where you got to take it way more seriously because there's no excuses anymore. Especially in a city like San Francisco. Call the WAIM to take you to the clubs.
Speaker 1: You know where I bet you they have a ton of drunk drivers is Seattle, because they have a minimum wage for Uber drivers of thirty dollars an hour. So if you go a short distance let's just say the airport to the port where you pick up the cruise ships, it's like an eighty or ninety dollars Uber ride. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: They're going to need the robots up there because the robots don't get thirty dollars an hour.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, that's going to be the end to Uber and the waymos are going to take over. All of those jobs are going to be gone if cities continue to do things like that, because it just becomes cost prohibitive to use Uber or lyft or even the taxi cabs.
Speaker 2: Well we're not there yet. Let me just say I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and Dallas has been testing uber I, testing weaymos, but they had to pause the testing and put all the vehicles out of service because there was so much rain and flooding in Dallas. These robocars were getting stranded all over the place.