Speaker 1: Now back to dirty Work. Adam Copeland and Derek Papa in the KNB R Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in? Please play responsibly Call one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: All right, dirty work on a Friday afternoon, We're live with the Patio fifty eight Social sitting right outside of Oracle Park. Gett you're ready for a seven to fifteen first pitch tonight Giants and the Tigers a six fifteen pregame. You can hear it all right here on the Sports Leader. Let's talk some Giants ball and maybe some hockey too with our next aguesst John Morossi joins us on the umacat side to see him on the MLB Network and the NHL Network. What network don't you see him on? You hear him on KNBR right now? John, Great to have you man, appreciate you making time for us today.
Speaker 3: How are you doing? Great? Adam and Derek.
Speaker 4: Always great to be on the air in the great city of San Francisco, especially with the Tigers playing the Giants. How about that twenty twelve World Series rematch? Tell you what the Tigers are playing pretty good baseball right now, somewhat surprisingly after trading Trek Scougle.
Speaker 3: Should be a fun weekend of baseball there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, baseball, the American League get in particular, is so weird, and you know, trying to figure out which teams were buyers which teams were sellers, because you know, with the expanded playoffs, so many teams. You could have said, like twenty one to twenty two teams were in the mix around deadline time. The Giants, though one of the true sellers, moved six players. I mean, I don't remember a time in my lifetime the Giants have done anything like that being true sellers to the point of that many players moving off of the twenty six man roster. When you talk to people around baseball, do other front offices view with the Giants? Did it the deadline as a rebuild, a reset, or something that can completely turn around, be it in the future or quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question because when you look at a couple things. Number One, you're in the National League West, right, so you've got this behemoth at the top of the division that's going nowhere regardless of whatever the rules of the game are. When we next convene with labor relations, the Dodgers will still be the Dodgers, right So I think that it was the prudent approach. As hard as it was, and I was listening to some of Buster's comments there before the break, As hard as that decision was to make, it was the right decision. They there was no path for them to get into the upper echelon of this division right now, and especially not when you're trailing behind both the d Backs and the pod Rays by a considerable margin. So recognize where you're at, lean into that a little bit, and then move the guys that you can move without changing too much of who you are.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a fine line. But the Giants did.
Speaker 4: ITAs obviously was getting later on in his tenure, and by the way, that's a good It's a good job by the Giants to bring in a player that I never understand why he's not valued more highly by the marketplace, and then he comes in, works with Wash, gets better and and so there's a lot of really good things happening there that I hope that everybody around the industry says, you know what, San Francisco is a good place to go. We all know what an amazing baseball city is and what a place it is in general, and so go go there, work with the coaching staff there, you get better, and it's a place that where you can either eventually win there or like, that's a good outcome. Okay, he's he's a respected player. People, people know this guy, respect them like him. When good players who have respect go to your team, play well, and even if they move on, it's good for the brand, so to speak. And when we've talked a lot in the last few years about Okay, how many players are going to sign with the Giants, Well.
Speaker 3: This is a good outcome, so celebrate that.
Speaker 4: And then I think, also, you didn't have to trade Logan Web to bring back some value. Obviously you did trade Ray. You know, we'll see how the prospects all play out. You know, that's not my area of expertise as much you're knowing exactly what these guys all great out and do. But it's it seems as though, based on those that know the prospect world better than I do, that the Giants did pretty well here. And and the other thing I like about the way they've brought the organization along is when you look at the top rankings of their farm system, a lot of middle infielders. Okay, those are hard guys to find, and eventually you're gonna want some youth at those positions to come up in the major leagues.
Speaker 3: And whenever a Damis's contract is up, et cetera.
Speaker 4: You want athletes, you want guys that can play the game, and the Giants are doing a better job of developing that. I think Eldridge is taking a step. Lee is taking a step. So if you're gonna struggle, you might as well struggle in a year where you've got this unbeatable team at the top of the division. You're not like really missing a window here. You just have to retrench a little bit.
Speaker 3: Do that.
Speaker 4: And then the big thing is they need Devers to be better. Okay, they need Adamas to be better, they need Chapman to be healthier. If you were gonna start the year and say Devers would would just be okay by his standards, a Damas would be below average is a major league getter, which is what the numbers say is and that Chatman would be hurt. I'd say they're in trouble, and they're in trouble. And this is not like sometimes we like to over complicate the game. Sometimes it's real simple, Like the Mariners cal Rale, he hasn't hit this year. Guess what they're struggling in Toronto. Gladdie hasn't hit, They're struggling. I mean this is the game is both very complicated and sometimes very simple. And and the simplicity of the game explains a lot of what has befallen the Giants and the Mariners and the Jays this season.
Speaker 5: John Bubba Morosi on the Uma guest line's been too long, my friend, oh, my old.
Speaker 3: Nickname when I was a kid. Well, well done, Derek. But we're we're family. Your dad called me that, like we are family. It's all good. I'm happy with that.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely, John, So obviously not a true rebuild at the deadline, but uh buster posey there in some of the audio we played saying that you know, we let everybody, We let baseball know that everybody was on the table. So do you happen to know behind the scenes how close they were maybe to dealing a Logan Web or a Jungku Lee or any of the big time contracts, and would they possibly revisit that in the off season.
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that it was close close like on the five yard line's that's a lot of money to move. But I will say this that the offseason I think becomes very interesting. And this is where we're kind of playing three dimensional chess without being able to look at the board right now because we don't know what the what the rules of the of engagement are going to be right with with the CBA, et cetera. And so the Giants, though, they are the kind of team that you could envision being one that needs to maybe get their payroll into compliance if you ever end up seeing a salary cap. For example, Devers is making a ton of money. Okay, Adamis is making a lot of money. Web is making money. But I think the money for him is is good. Like he's so important to them, he grew up in Rockland. I don't I would not, and I don't think that they ever really were close to moving him because he's too important. You need you need some guys to soak up innings that are part of the culture. The Giants, by the way, I think, are one of the teams that have gotten that as well as almost any other team throughout the years I've covered baseball. They understand that there are there are players their fans get used to seeing and want to see, and that they need to be there.
Speaker 3: And I think Logan Webb is in that category. Lee. I'm a big Jungle Lee fan.
Speaker 4: I've watched him play since he was in Korea back in I met him in twenty nineteen. Sometime I'll, if we have time, in some way, I'll tell you the story about meeting him. But great guy, and I think he's really gotten more and more familiar with Major League Baseball. At the overall situation, he looks more and more comfortable. He's a good player for this ballpark. He's a good player for the organization, And so I would I would not move him.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Would they ever attach a more attractive sort of younger player to Devers?
Speaker 3: Maybe? But then all of a sudden, you're saying.
Speaker 4: For another team, wait a minute, you want me to be now the third team to have him in this fan of like two years, Like, what's what's going on here? So I think Devers had whatever has sort of been an issue has to get fixed by him where he's at before we start talking about additional things that have to happen in the future.
Speaker 2: John Mriszky the voice you hear on the Uman guestlin and you can see him on our video stream up on the sports Leader dot com, the app, and on on YouTube right now. So, like, things have been tough for Giants fans, and I think we're all assuming it's gonna be kind of a tough, you know, last couple of months as we get to look at some new guys and trying to find some bright spots for the future. I wouldn't mind. I don't think Derek would. If you got time, you want to tell us your meeting Jung Houlie story.
Speaker 3: So I interviewed him.
Speaker 4: I was on the World Feed broadcast and basically, if there's a tournament in the world that that I can go broadcast, like sign me up, I'm going.
Speaker 3: So I worked on.
Speaker 4: The world feed of the twenty nineteen premiere twelve. I interviewed I interviewed Jung Hu Lee on the field uh and I I and before like whenever you know, if you know me, I love languages, so I learned how to say congratulations and nice to meet you in Korean for that particular introduction. The exact words are are not coming to me right now, but but just trust that I said it at the moment and I felt good about it. So I interviewed him. I congratulated him. Of course, the story of his dad being this great player, so I learned about him well in advance of him coming to Major League Baseball. So this is his first week as a Giant. They're playing the Dodgers and he's making his debut at Dodger Stadium, and I was on I was on the broadcast team for that game with with TNT.
Speaker 3: So it was I think it was Brian Anderson, Jeffrankr and me.
Speaker 4: And so we're in the We're in the Giants clubhouse at Dodger Stadium, saying, you know, you know, going about getting our notes and having our meetings. And on the way out, I see Jung who again. Now this is that I hadn't seen him in like three years.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The last time I saw him was again like in a postgame interview out on the.
Speaker 4: Field in Tokyo. So this is it's been a while, ye. And so I walk up to him, and again at this point in time, I can like say three things in Korean, like hello, nice to meet you, how are you, congratulations, like the basics, and so I I walk up to him and I say, I think I said congratulations, nice to meet you in Korean, and he kind of he kind of smiles, and he pulls his interpreter over and he and the interpreter then says to me, as relays back with John, who said he said Jung who says, that's not correct.
Speaker 3: You met him three years ago in Tokyo. I said, man, that guy's amazing, like.
Speaker 4: It's beveries, like like guys, I am not that memorable, trust me. And the fact that he like he liked he said it with a smile like Tom Morosi. No, no, no, no, he can't use that word together with me because because he already used it once.
Speaker 3: You gotta dance your voca, buddy. You gotta learn some new phrases.
Speaker 4: And it was like he was smiling, laughing so like so every every ever since, I mean every time I ever see him, big smile, we always say hello back and forth like he's he's just a delightful person and like that's one of my all time favorite international baseball cultural connection.
Speaker 3: Stories like no no, no, no, no, tell him that's wrong. He met me before it was it was classic.
Speaker 5: No, that's incredible talking to John on the UMA guest Line. I saw it this morning on MLB Network rocking to Mike Cruco Jersey. And of course we got the news yesterday that after thirty six seasons he stepping away from the mic. Just your thoughts at Mike Kruko and what he's meant to baseball.
Speaker 4: Legend Hall of famer, uh set the standard and and and this is for those of us in in the business, Okay, like like for years and years and years, people that are working broadcasting, we will stay up late to watch the Giants games because because the broadcast is that great.
Speaker 3: And what makes it great?
Speaker 4: Okay, of course it's the scene, it's the team, but it's the voices, and it's the friendship. And and for all of us that have grown up loving the game, the magic of it is is friends talking and the game is happening. And of course the iconic calls UH for Kruk and Kite. But just when you feel like you get to just drop in on two best friends talking about the game, and you get to and and there's that third stool on the table and it's yours. That's the magic, right, That's that's why we do what we do, and that's why they're great, and that's why the two of them are such a great duo. And I mentioned this in the morning too, like the love and care they've got for each other families that goes so deep in ways that probably any of us can't really even fully understand. But just the care and the kindness they've always shown for each other and the way they represent the game they are is they are as important to the Giants organization and the way that those of us who get a chance to visit San Francisco from time to time and watch the games, they are as important or more important.
Speaker 3: Than any player.
Speaker 4: I really believe that, and that they are that important so institutions. And the thing is too, one of the things I love about this is that their greatness has been fully appreciated by the Giants fans. This is not I am not telling you anything you don't already know. I'm I'm just telling you something that that for me, a guy from a small town of Michigan, I get it too, and and that to me, I just I hope that everyone just has that that satisfaction in knowing that when you've got that guy or in this case, that the two of them together and and it's magic, like we felt that way with Ernie Harwell and Michigan Vin Scully obviously in LA. I mean, this is this is the Mount Rushmore of this profession and this sport. And so I just want them to know how much I appreciate.
Speaker 3: The standards they have set for us.
Speaker 4: Any anybody that has a microphone that does anything with baseball, they're all part of the standard that has been set for us to try to follow. And the best way that they've done it is that they didn't think about their careers. It's like they've done it by being themselves totally authentic. They didn't learn this in a broadcast school. They learned this in the dugout, in the clubhouse, on the field, and it's them. And I think that's whenever young people ask me, Okay, what do I want to do in this business? Basically, and what Kruk and Kype have shown us is be you, be you, and and the way they did it is so brilliant and have done it is so brilliant, And I just hope for obviously just the best of the best of health and happiness to Mike and Jennifer the whole family, and.
Speaker 3: Just thanks thanks to them for all they've done for us.
Speaker 2: So well, said John MOROSSI. With us on the Yuma guess we don't have tons of time.
Speaker 3: We do have to run.
Speaker 2: But dude, I said, I was going to do it because I want to hear from you on this, and I'll just go big like a you know, thirty thousand foot mac review on it. How high are the expectations for the Sharks in twenty twenty six, cause, I mean, playoffs are the the baseline as far as I care.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean, when you have arguably the best forward in the world right now is on your team, He's that good and that's not breaking news if you watch him.
Speaker 3: But this is just the opinion.
Speaker 4: I mean, McDavid is amazing, obviously, but when you look at celebrating what he can do, he's got a contract that proves it. And if I'm buying stock in any team for the next five to ten years in this league, it's San Jose because it's not and and again part of it is part of it is good lottery luck. They were they were having high picks at the right times, but they've hit on the right picks. Mike Greer is really good, Warsowski is a really good coach.
Speaker 3: Like they've they've got. I'm a big Dickinson fan.
Speaker 4: I've watched him play in the Ohl here close to me in Michigan for a while, Misa I saw playing sac and all like, there's a lot of really good players in this team right now.
Speaker 2: Got I mean, he's a guy that.
Speaker 4: That wasn't the most heralded when he was coming up and has just done nothing but score and make an impact.
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm on him.
Speaker 4: I think you know, I had a chance to watch celebrity play. I mean that was like last year I watched him play in person in Detroit. I was like, I gotta see this guy. I mean, he is just so I'm I'm a huge fan of what he does. Great kid too, just everything about him. Man, I'm I'm I'm buying stock in this team.
Speaker 5: Okay, real quick, John, Okay, did the Dodgers put the best offer on the table for Trek Skoogle? And would you be surprised if we have a workstopage in baseball that goes longer than me?
Speaker 3: Real quick.
Speaker 5: Yes, sorry, complicated questions.
Speaker 4: I do believe they made the best offer. It's in the eyes of the beholder. The Brewers were really close. I'm I'm gonna be an optimist and say that we're playing before May. But but you're talking to an optimist here, so this so I I think in terms of what's possible, and I'm gonna think that it's possible.
Speaker 3: That's what I got for you.
Speaker 2: There you go, John Morosey the what you hear and you see him on the MLB Network in the NHL Network.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: Always fun to catch up with the man. Really appreciate the time today.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bubby.
Speaker 4: We'll enjoy the conversation and enjoy this twenty twelve World Series rematch. I'm sure the Giants fans want to see it play out just the way it did about fourteen years ago.
Speaker 2: A three game sweep. That's what we're looking for. Articulated job. Thanks much, great stuff there from John Morosey. We do have to take a quick break because we got to catch up with our guy. Ted Newinn is waiting in the wings. Ted new Win joins us from the Athletic we'll talk some football with him. Where were we going Exus and O's Deebo heavy debo talk.
Speaker 3: What's off Deebo?
Speaker 5: The impact of no more Ricky Piersol and just kyl Shan as a play caller?
Speaker 3: What nothing on?
Speaker 2: Rahee Morris, We could do that too, all right? Just making sure it's all good with you.
Speaker 5: Get some raiders in there too.
Speaker 3: He's a raider guy.
Speaker 2: Oh mister, you're gonna get some raiders.
Speaker 3: No, they're probably not. Why not? I got none? No question?
Speaker 2: I want to ask if he thinks they should start Mendoza from day one?
Speaker 3: Where the do we go?
Speaker 2: So you're the raider guy for this segment, I'll ask the raider questions. Leave those to me. Adam Copeland deepop with you on the Battery at fifty eight Social the Giants and the Tigers tonight seven to fifteen, first pitch, six fifteen pregame. But when we come back, a little dipitus in football, a little film talk with our guy, Ted new Win of the Athletic He joins us next Dirty Work on a Friday only here on the Sports Leader