Speaker 1: Welcome back to the X Earning postgame Show with Bill Ask. I'm delighted to bring a guest on. He pitched ten years in Major League baseball. He was a three time American League All Star, a World Series champion with the Detroit Tigers in nineteen sixty eight, American League Most Valuable Player in sixty eight, two time Alcy Young. Let's bring in Denny McLain. Denny, how are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm fine, Billy? How are you pel?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. Thanks for joining me, and what a great career you had in ten years. But the game has changed for pitching, and I want to talk about complete games. You were just fabulous at it, one hundred and five complete games in ten years. The mindset was different back then, Denny, How did you prepare for a game and how did you get through nine innings?
Speaker 2: Well? It just was expected of us. I mean it was that simple. And you know back then, if you did not keep your end of the bargain up, you weren't going to be there very long because they owned everything at that time, you know, all the players, all the shoes, all the spikes, all the half I mean everything they owned, and so you had very few choices about trying to get out of there. But and you know what, it drives you. I'm going to say it drives you to drink. But it drives you to drink in a sense because you know every time you go out there, your job is on the line. I mean, it's not like you could go out there for four or five. It starts at five innings apiece, and let's say three out of the five you got the poop scared out of you and knocked out of the game. I mean, that didn't happen back then. If a guy didn't have his stuff, the manager would come out and maybe lose a little temper and what have you, But nonetheless he would do what's necessary. For instance, it brings me to a real good story. It's all about bunning. It's all about hitting. It's all about hitting and running, running and hitting. Hit the cutoff man. Where the hell are the people that used to teach this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fundamentals of the game, that's what you're talking about, Denny, The fundamentals of just kind of seconds.
Speaker 2: Right, And Billy, I'm telling you what we don't. I'll bet in a month, in a month of ball games, I'll bet we don't hit twenty five percent of the cutoff man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fundamental balu changed. And the same thing about pitchers covering first base, turning to get a double play, feeling the ball on bunts, that's secondary. It wasn't priority when we pitched. But I want to go back when you started, Denny. You grew up in Illinois. You ended up going to Mount Carmel High School.
Speaker 2: I certainly did.
Speaker 1: Was there somebody that you looked at at the big league level? Was there somebody that you just wanted to watch all the time pitch?
Speaker 2: Well, yes, there was a guy by the name of Bob Rush. He was a pitcher with the Cubs at the time, and this is how he became my idol ice in my entire years of living in Chicago. We went to one baseball game. We didn't have any money, for God's sake, so you took your shots where you can. And my dad come home the night before and said, Hey, we're going to a ball game tomorrow. I said, Dad, how are we going to go to a ball game? I got to go to school, so you're not going to school tomorrow. You're going to see the Cubs. I said, Oh boy, oh boy, so we all jumped up and down. We got in the car the next day and went down to the ballpark, and the first couple of innings were not too exciting, but we were in the club. We're sitting there where we're look at all the players, all the pimples they got on their shed and their air in their ears, every other thing.
Speaker 1: Where you were at a major league game, that's something that you were excited about. Same thing when I grow that's right, and that you didn't have that many chances to go in. Of course, television wasn't every day like we see it now, but at once were like school, you played shortstop and you also pitched. And boy thirty eight and seven through your high school years, how'd you like playing shortstop?
Speaker 2: Well, my dad, I said, I had the worst hands in the history of mankind. My dad was not good for your courage. As a matter of fact, when I played in the Little League the first game of the season, it's the first game they'd never seen me play except in practice, and somebody said, we'll get McClean, he'll feel the ball for us and then we'll go from there. Whatever it was. So they got McClean and put McLean on first base and started hitting ground balls to him. This is an eight year old trying to catch a ground ball. And I can tell you that out of twenty five balls that were hit to me, I missed twenty not a great breakthrough.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't good. Get him off the infield, my kid said.
Speaker 2: My dad said, I don't think we have to worry about it. But do you have a cup? I said, what do you need a cup for? You need coffee, tea? What do you need? He said, you don't know. I said, what do I know? I don't know what. I don't know what you know? And he said, well, you and I will have a little father and son talked tonight. I said okay. I said, so this's got something to do with them and he said, yeah, kind of kind of, but he's going to do it at home. I said, okay. The next inning round ball is. You know, people hit hit the ball pretty hard if you just lay the bat out there. And this one kid was a left handed hitter, and he hit a rocket down the first baseline. A rocket is this first baseman can attest to and Lord about money. It almost ate my ass. It hit so hard that I recall and he didn't have a cup on. And guess what, Denny didn't have a cup on either, and then he took that right in the middle of the posts. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you learn the hard way, right daddy?
Speaker 2: It was, Yeah, but that's not all. Probably you're so embarrassed you don't know what to do. So what I did right away was I tried to adjust my belt and uh, that got the bigger hand than anything I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 1: Danny McLain joined me on the Extraity postgame show. You end up signing out of high school to the Chicago White Sox, and.
Speaker 2: I thought, yep, I graduated on a Friday night and signed on late Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 1: And you end up posing the Appellationian League. And what do you did for the Harlan Smokies the first game you throw a no hitter and you punch out sixteen. I guess the White Sox said, I guess we signed somebody pretty damn good because that was a nice start by you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said, he said, congratulations, Well that was some start, some starting out. He said, how you go out there the next time? Let's do the same thing. I said, can you do this twice in a row. He said, yes you can, and you're going to do that.
Speaker 1: When you first started getting into high school, what were some of the pictures you threw. I know you threw hard as a fastball. Did you have the curveball yet?
Speaker 2: I did not throw a curveball until I got to the big leagus. I didn't throw anything but a fastball, a little bit of a change up, but no. My dad made it very clear to me that if I ever try to throw a curveball or a slider before I'm eighteen or nineteen years old, he would make sure that I would go back to the plant with him and work on the steel products. Wow, because no son of his was going to start throwing curveballs at fourteen years old.
Speaker 1: Well, in nineteen sixty three, Denny, it was kind of strange. I was reading about it. You get waved by the White Sox because they don't protect you. I didn't know what that meant. So the Tigers ended up picking you up. Explain that a little bit more in depth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened was, back in those days, you could only have with a man with a forty man roster. All you can have is forty You can't cheat and bubble him up. Someplace they did was we had three guys with me, the great Dave de Busher with the Pistons, and of course Detroit became the manager there and general manager for the Yankees. And then there's another guy who had a little bit of a breaking ball. And the butcher had graduated from college and the other kid had graduated from college. So they both had breaking balls, and Dave threw very, very hard, but it was flat. Is a piece of paper, I mean, and they could not get Dave to throw the ball the right way. So the first game of the season, this is an exhibition game, and our manager was the hell was his name, Jesus Kid? Anyway, he starts the game and he tells me and Bruce Howard who he was the third guy, Bruce Howard, and Bruce really a nice guy from South Carolina. The manager says to us, whoever wins this game stays with us. If you lose, you're going to be dumped into waivers. I didn't know what waivers meant at the time, anyway, I thought maybe it was a free meal or something. So we go out and the first pitch that I throw, first pitch he hit a ball. The ball may not have come down yet, I'm telling you, the ball went forever and ever and ever. And so now I'm down one run, right, one run, So right now I'm in the hole. So we go through the rest of the game. And that was the only run I gave up, the only thing that then Bruce Howard, he didn't give up anything except a couple of hits. So I get beat one to nothing. The general manager of the White Sox comes over and says, boy, great ball game. We really enjoyed watching that game, and I hope you'll do the same thing wherever you're going to go. I said, wait a minute, I said, I give up one, I give up one hitting. I'm out of here. He says, well, that was the deal, and he said, and it's got nothing to do with you and I. It's the management. This is what they want to do, and so let's let's just do it and get it over with because this is going to be a sad day.
Speaker 1: So well, it might have been a sad day that day, but it sure worked out well for you because you up.
Speaker 2: The best thing is, uh, the first game that I pitched in the big leagues, just to go back, just for a second. The first guy I pitched in that kind of a setting, Uh, I struck out. I threw a no, no, and uh and then and then in that game I also hit a home run. Uh. So I had quite quite the week that week. And it was just uh and the fact I said to our manager, I can't remember his whole name, but uh, Wally Wally Moses. And I said to Wally, I said, boy, this this you know, this game is easy. He said, what are you talking about? He said, he said, don't get cocky yet. You know you got to play tomorrow too. And I said, oh no, I said, I'm not trying to be cocky or anything, but I said that the all the pitch is that right there, all the field that's right there, no rocks, no garbage on the field. I said, I've never seen anything like this. So the beat one to nothing, and the next thing I know, I'm told that the Detroit Tigers have claimed the end waivers and that we have a quick conversation because there's nothing really to say. And the general manager of the Socks says, while, young man, I'm sure we're going to see you again. Just do what you do. What you do, and don't worry about anything else or anyone else. You just do what you did here today.
Speaker 1: Well it worked though, Denny and nine six years of hell where the Tigers put a brand new uniform, Monia. You went to the big league in sixty three at nineteen years old. When you were twenty years old. You ended up getting in nineteen games sixteen games started. And then in sixty five it started working out for you. You ended up being sixteen and six two points six earn run average. Twenty nine games started, we talked about it, thirteen complete games, four shutouts. Everything started working over two hundred and twenty innings. You were consistent. So how did you become this so consistent at twenty one years old in the big leagues?
Speaker 2: Well, I got a couple of rules I'll tell you about for pitchers, And these are the most important rules that I ever had as a pitcher myself. And this is what Mima Dad used to tell me all the time. Number One, first pitch strike. Don't worry about it. First pitch strike, and that's it. Period. I don't want to hear anything else. And he says, never throw a curveball until you are physically able to do it. In other words, nobody coming out of high school at sixteen, seventeen, eighteen years old is going to be able to throw a real curveball because they don't have the build up yet. The body is still a child's body, that's right, and that takes some time. As you know. I mean, you were a pitcher. You did well, and the bottom line is that's what you have to have when the start the nut right, right, that's what you got to have. So truth so, and it's all about from the waist down. It's all about legs and butt. That's what it's about. And my dad preached that to me every day of the week. I mean, if we're having dinner, he's going to start talking about what happens when you got your cup on. Well.
Speaker 1: The other thing too, Denny, your physique was strength. Your legs were strong. You really had a nice body for a picture. I mean you your motion was fluent. The way you had to follow through everything was fluent. You threw strikes and that was the biggest thing that I remember watching you pitch back in the day. In nineteen sixty six, you made your first All Star team. You were twenty and fourteen. That year, two hundred and sixty four and a third innings. These numbers don't lie the innings are there? Thirty eight starts? Now you're pushing every fifth day. How did you enjoy pitching on that? And how did you get your repertoire so consistent?
Speaker 2: Again, well, again, it's practice, practice practice. How do I get the Carnegie Hall practice? Practice practice? And you know, also I've got a music degree. If you didn't know that I do. And get that ladder, and that's that's my that's my that's my baby, because I've been playing that for seventy years and that was my fun. I mean that was fun. And then fortunately when you get the the exposure that I got once I won thirty, I mean we could do anything we wanted to with baseball. You know, you here for a dinner, some of you ask you all to dinner. Here, here, build a you know, they give you balls to sign, they give you everything. A little mixed up here, but I can tell you no matter what it was, it was available. In fact, when I won my thirtieth game, and this is the hardest one for me to say. After winning number thirty, eventually at the end of the year, I was given by General Motors, a brand new Cadillac Ford, a brand new T Bird and beautiful white Sex. Guys gave me a it was a t Bird of some kind. So anyway, they gave me three cars, all with titles, all ensured, the whole thing, and.
Speaker 1: Well you deserve them, Denny.
Speaker 2: You know you look at that.
Speaker 1: Let's look at nineteen sixty eight, thirty one and six. You're the last pitcher that's ever had thirty games. When you look at what happened in nineteen thirty four, Dizzy Dean did it with Saint Louis at thirty and seven, and even further than that, nineteen thirty one, thirty one and four, Lefty Grove did it that year. When you start dissecting what happened that year, and then numbers. When you started the month of April, you go too and out at one point nine you only had four starts. And the month of May you go six and one again, a great great month of May. June you go one again, and then everything starts clicking. Everybody's got eyes on Denny McClain, because in July you go seven and one, August you go five and two, and now all of a sudden, a month of September comes around and thirty games is right in front of you, and you end up going five and one. And you ended up that year with thirty one and six thirty game winner. I'll never forget it in my life because I watched it. He also threw six shutouts, and that's something very impressive. Bill Freehan was your catcher. Bill Freeann was a very good communicator. Another another plus as a battery made what did you guys talk a lot alike? Did you guys get along?
Speaker 2: We were on the ninety percent of the time around the same page. I mean, he was the best catcher I ever pitched to. I pitched the Bench, I pitched the Casanova, Timmy McCarver, I pitched all of them. But I'm telling you there was only one Bill free in The guy was so insightful when it came to a game. He could tell you before the first inning is over with which guy took the last bathroom break. I mean, I'm telling you that's how good he was. He gave you everything you needed, and when you and you weren't doing so well, he would he would wait for the manager to come out, like they want to try to pull you out of the ball game. And then uh when they when they ask free in what kind of stuff does he have? What is it today? He's not he's not sharp. And then Mail Smith said, well, you know you're just off the hair. But so let's go back. Let's do it. I says, Okay, what part should we do because we're not doing any of the other parts very well? And he's and he says, uh, just start at the beginning, first pitch strike. I says, Oh, my father's back. I said, We're going to try some other things. That's the bottom The bottom line is pitching is repeating yourself time after time after time, and if you do that, you don't have to worry.
Speaker 1: Danny McClain joining me on the Externing postgame show. Johnny Saye was your pitching coach for many years Bets Detroit. And of course communication with your pitching coach, the sides and all the different grips and all the different work you did. What was some of the mental part of the game that he taught you, Well.
Speaker 2: He taught me, believe it or not. I never really had a good curve ball until Johnny came along. But when he came along. He also brought with him the Johnny Saint slider. And it wasn't a exciting pitch. I mean, it wouldn't bring the house down, standing up and what have you. But it was one of those pitches that I could get it over for a strike any time I wanted. I mean, I'll bet if you look at the record, I'll bet I missed maybe less than ten percent with that pitch. I mean, it was unbelievable how good it got me and three and two, two and two and two. It doesn't make any difference. That's the way it went. And except for the fact first pitch strike, I mean that's and if somebody was watching you from the other team, they certainly did not make a good attempt at it because I started everybody the same way everybody. And you know, here was the one thing. We used the percentage of deal on how many strikes on the first batter, And for two games we did that to kept the little record of it. And seventy percent of the first pitches and both ballgames were strikes.
Speaker 1: And that tells a big difference, doesn't it. It tells you a whole big difference about the pitcher.
Speaker 2: Kept you in the game. You were in the game for the very first pitch, and a lot of guys like to take that little break and think a deep breath once in a while. If you pitch well and you do it the right way, you don't have to worry about getting tired. You don't have to worry about anything else. Now, you got the entire circumference of your head in the ballgame, and I think that means more than anything else.
Speaker 1: Well, and that tells you a lot about your complete games because you got ahead of the hitters, you had less pitches per inning, you hit a one time, and that made that longevity go so far in your career. Yeah, but there was another thing you did, Denny. In your career, you were a pretty good defensive pitcher. We talked about fundamentals before. You only made thirteen errors in ten years. You know, some of those maybe been throwing it, only thrown a second base on a double play. What were some of the things that you gravitated to to make yourself a good defensive pitcher.
Speaker 2: Well, you know the game that you played before a game all the time with the button the ball back to three or four different guys. Pepper is a good game. It does a couple of things. You're working out, you're bending over a hundred times, you're doing everything that you could do working out, and then now you put the ball in play and you start hitting the ball a little bit harder, harder, and it's amazing how good you can become on that mound. And Jimmy Cott taught me part of that too.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about a couple of hitters that you did very well against. One was Mickey Mantle eight for thirty six, my idol and just at about two twenty. And then the other one was Harmon Killerbrew pitched very well against him, thirteen for sixty five, about two hundred very good hitters. How'd you work them and what did you do to get them out?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's this there's this myth running around in Major League baseball as well as some other probably college too. But the myth is this throw the ball back up third And I say that tongue in cheek, But what the bottom line becomes is that the pitcher has to take command of everything at any one time, strikes being the mandatory issue. And if you will allow the pitcher to control the game, you don't have to remember much because the catcher remembers the same thing. And I know I'm simplifying this a little bit too much, but it's amazing to me that if you pay attention, and I'm talking about paying attention in a live game and not even being the pitcher of record, just to watch there for a whole inning and watch every pitch toss will really teach you some things about yourself. Am I opening up? Well enough? Am I? In the right side of the rubber? I mean all the little things that we take for granted, right right, I mean every one of us did. But this whole system that Saying had developed was just it was just a no brainer, for lack of a better term, jen.
Speaker 1: Right. It made you feel the ball. It made you become that fifth in fielder. All the things that you learned went back to little. It was things you adjusted to. But you had a great career of doing it on the defensive scent. So let's go away from it a little bit away from baseball. You talked about did you played Oregon and you really played it very well? You probably still do it now you'll learn from the White Sox organist.
Speaker 2: Is that crew? The yes, Bob Freed was his name, right. He was my teacher when I was just learning how to play piano and organ. And after about five or six years of pretty intense tutorage, he was great. And he detoured Vegas, he toured everywhere. So that's how good of a player he was. Everybody wanted to use Bob, and Bob later became a professor at the University of Illinois.
Speaker 1: So you still played, you still get on there?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, absolutely, that's absolutely when I can't give that up. That was the one thing my dad demanded, you get that thing done, and you get that thing so you can read it. And the biggest thing that I found out that I accomplished was I was able to read music. There's probably eighty percent of the people in this world who play a piano or an organ, they probably don't read music. Yeah, I mean, it's it's just one of those things because you can take it for granted because it doesn't seem to be the biggest problem in the world, but it is. It can certainly be, because if you don't have the ability to read, you can't just take it off the hook and say, all right, guys, what are we going to play? Most of those guys probably don't know the song that you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: So you're a winter relaxation from the game of baseball, and that problem.
Speaker 2: Is absolutely right. Bill. A couple more.
Speaker 1: Minutes with Denny McClain on the ext Learning Postgame Show as we recap What You Build a Bag Career one hundred and thirty one ninety Bill, Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Bill, I don't have anywhere to go for two hours, so I'm okay.
Speaker 1: You watch the talk right. Well, we could talk all day, Denny. You're my hero. That's why I'm so excited to speak with you today. We watched it on the black and white and living room. I love to watching you pitch. And the Tigers was my team in Toledo, and it was all those guys that you had around, the al Calines and Willie Hortons and Norm Cashes. And of course the next person I wanted to talk to was Mickey Lolich. He was your right hand man, a great left hander. I remember something you said, you said, I'll take five Mickey Lolich's over anybody, and I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He had the greatest arm I've ever seen. The guy never ever ever missed the start because of his arm. Never I mean, and he had, you know, hundreds of starts, and even at the latest age in his life pitching, when he was still pitching, he had the ability to still go out, warm up and probably give you four or five innings. I mean, he was eighty years old.
Speaker 1: He was fascinating. And we didn't even get into that sixty eight World Series that you had to go up because Bobby Gibson and you ended up leading game six and it went game seven. What a fabulous world series that was.
Speaker 2: Well, Mickey Nicky saved my wife in that game, by the way, because if he doesn't, if he doesn't win win that ballgame, uh, they're probably gonna shoot me and hang me in you charge. So I'm praying for him. Jesus couldn't have brought more blessings to the ballparks that day than I did.
Speaker 1: That was a fabulous world series, one of the what's a great one games? And going against Bob gets in ye, that was just a hell of a mark for your team to do, and and all the layers trying to make contact with him. He was sensational. What did you think of Bob Gibson back then?
Speaker 2: Well, that day I said this a thousand times that day he was the greatest pitcher guy ever put on the face of the earth. That day. A lot of guys had good stuff, lots of guys, as you know. But the bottom line is that day he had control of everything and everybody. And we knew in the third inning. Unless unless we had somebody in the stand shoot him or or get him after the words and tell him what we're going to do to him, try to scare it out of him, nothing would have worked. He was he wasn't I when I hit the first time, I tell you how good he was. The first two pitches that he threw to me, two fastballs, I never saw, wow, neither one. It's not because of the speed, it's because of where he put the ball, and he put There's nothing worse than trying to hit the ball when it's down and in, down and in and the inside part of the plate. I think that's the toughest son of a bitch in the world to hit. And boy, he had it that day. He just threw me one after another and I probably kissed my butt long before I ever struck out on the third pitch. I mean, he was unbelievable and he had such and he had something that he never had before. He admitted to it that he never had that kind of a curve ball. And I said, where the hell did it come from? He said, I don't know, but it was there when I said.
Speaker 1: I worked boy, Denny, you were my idol man. I watched you like a hot pleasure. It was a pleasure catching up with you. And what a fabulous career, mister McLain. I appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe we'll do something during the World Series or something else.
Speaker 1: Happy to catch up with you, but thank you.
Speaker 2: This has been a lot of fun. Billy and everybody out there, have a great day, have a great month, and a great year, and let's all rock and roll, all right.
Speaker 1: That was Denny McLain post game show and work coming up right here on K and BR.