Speaker 1: And we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Wangs in Culver City.
Speaker 2: John, the United Educators of San Francisco say, if they don't get a deal with SFUSD by February ninth, they're going on strike.
Speaker 3: Get that money.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine what life would be like if Cecily my art cruise could multiply and she could be in charge of all of the teachers unions all over the state of California.
Speaker 2: And I want you to be all the way.
Speaker 1: I can tell you this et cetern would sell a lot that is fantastic. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. Well, we spent a lot of time on this program talking about Proposition fifty. That's what we voted on late last year. It was Gavin Newsom's initiative that would jerrymander the state's congressional districts up in a way that would met the Democrats up to five more congressional seats. Newsom said that we had to do it because Texas was redrawing their congressional lines and other states followed California's lead Republican states, Democratic states and redrawing their own congressional district lines. Mid decade, it was being challenged in the courts. We had Assemblymen David Togipa on this program who was one of the plaintiffs. He represents Fresno in the California State Legislature. He was saying that proponents who Prop fifty broke the law and they used race as one of the measures on how they would draw these districts, and you can't do that according to the law. Well, the Supreme Court heard them and came back with a verdict and Randy.
Speaker 4: Prop fifty is here to stay.
Speaker 2: The Prop fifty maps will the in effect for this election. There's not going to be anything that changes that. For more. Here's Fox forty in Sacramento.
Speaker 5: Or I'm not surprised by the outcome.
Speaker 6: But first, a major victory for Governor Newsimmon Democrats. After the US Supreme Court officially allowed California's new Prop fifty congressional maps to move forward.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the Texas maps were also challenged. They also went to the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court said, yeah, those can stay. Too.
Speaker 4: It seems like the.
Speaker 1: Courts are allowing the states to do what they want to do in.
Speaker 6: The upcoming midterm elections. It comes after state Republicans and the Trump administration tried to block the maps maps from taking effect. Thanks for joining us tonight for Fox forty News at six. IM Niki Lorenzo and.
Speaker 2: I'm Eric Caerryman.
Speaker 7: Fox forty Capital reporter Aton Wallace has reaction tonight from the state Capitol.
Speaker 8: It's a US Supreme Court decision that could have major ramifications for the balance of power in the US House of Representatives. The nation's high court wednesday unanimously allowing California's voter approved Prompt fifty jerrymandered congressional maps aimed at helping Democrats gain at least five US House states statewide, to be used in the upcoming midterm election. State Republicans and the Trump administration's the US Department of Justice sued to block the maps, arguing they were illegally racially drawn to favorite Latinos over other racial groups, but in the end, the court denied that GOP backed legal challenge.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not surprised by the outcome.
Speaker 8: Victor's School of Law adjunct Professor Chris mccayley says that's because the court recently allowed Texas to move forward with its new maps.
Speaker 2: Everybody can cheat.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you, I know that courts are not supposed to be political, but they're human beings like the rest of us. They have their own particular ideologies, but also they're human. And if you are a judge and you know that the will of the people in a particular state is to do something as it was in Texas, as it is in California, as is the case in other states, do you want to be the person that stands in the way of the people and the popular will. It seems like most judges, or at least in this particular case.
Speaker 8: Don't designed to help Republicans pick up five US House seats there. The majority opinion in that case dismissed claims of racial jerrymannering in the new Texas maps and hinted a similar ruling could be coming for California's Prop fifty maps.
Speaker 2: If you're doing it for political reasons, that's fine, that is what the courts have said.
Speaker 1: Well, what's wild is in each state the dynamic is going to be different because with COVID. What happened was the snow globe was shaken and you saw a lot of populations changing. You saw some states like Florida and Texas and Arizona gain population, and you saw other states like New York, Illinois, Rhode Island, California, Massachusetts lose population. California with Prop fifty, drew five more seats in for the Democrats. But if the census is as bad as people are assuming for California, we could lose between three and five seats. So even though they're gaining five seats now, they're gonna have to turn around and give them all back when the census. New census numbers come in at the end of the decade.
Speaker 2: And those fights as to who gets to run in those seats is going to be ugly.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gonna be super ugly because the fights are going to be over two different things. Primarily, it's gonna be over race. Different racial groups think that they're entitled to certain seats and they don't want people from other races coming in and taking it away from them. And the other thing is age. And this is really accelerated since Biden was forced out of the race in twenty twenty four, where there is I don't know how to put this. There is a sense of I don't know. People are angry, and people hold resentment for the older members who stick around too long. And if you are someone who's in your eighties and you're in a very safe seat and you have people underneath you who are turning out of office and there's no place for them to go, and you stick around because you're comfortable and because you can, my guess is those people are going to be targeted. Think about Maxine Waters, who's what eighty seven years old? Doris matt Sewey up in Sacramento, she's eighty something years old. How long do these people plan on sticking around? And if you're going to target someone, you're redrawing these lines. It's a nice convenient way to just nudge these people out.
Speaker 5: Essentially, they said, those political reasons overrode the potential legal challenges under the Federal Voting Rights Act and the Federal Constant And they even referenced California's subsequent adoption of its politically drawn maps and so applying the same logic to both, it's not a surprising outcome.
Speaker 8: Governor Gavin Newsom's press office, calling the decision a massive win for Californians. The governor of.
Speaker 2: How his press office is down person, Now.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, that press office.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 1: You want to talk about an off the rails department in California government. Putting the cast of Glee in charge of his Twitter account was a real great decision.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's worked out for him so far.
Speaker 1: It's worked out so far, but I'm telling you it's also going to be the downfall the governor.
Speaker 8: Writing this quote, Donald Trump said he was entitled to five more congressional seats in Texas. He started this redistricting war. He lost, and he'll lose again in November. GOP Clovis, a Summing member, David Togipot was among the plaintiff challenging the Prop fifty maps.
Speaker 4: It's frustrating.
Speaker 2: We're going to turn our attention to the twenty twenty six election.
Speaker 8: It all comes in a state that before Prop fifty had just nine of its fifty two congressional seats held by Republicans. With the new maps taking effect to this election, that number of GOP held House seats stayedwide is expected to drop. With Rockland Republican congress Member Kevin Kylie potentially impacted.
Speaker 10: I'm obviously not happy that my district has been sliced into six different pieces.
Speaker 2: I do think jerry mandering is bad. And have you've seen what's going on with Kylie now, is he's deciding which one of these six districts he's going to run in, and so he's ruling one out week by week.
Speaker 1: And there's really no good answer because these aren't communities of interest. I mean, go back to Doug LaMalfa seat, the guy that just died, the congressman from I think it's lass In County. Instead of having a rural North state district that produces a member that looks out for rural North State interests, what they did was they drew this district that looks like a phallic shaped object that goes all the way from the North State to Marin County and the population center in that district is Marin County.
Speaker 4: Well, guess what that means.
Speaker 1: Marin County is going to be able to choose the representative, and the people in the North State will have no representation at all in Congress.
Speaker 2: And to make that whole matter even shadier, Mike McGuire is now running for that seat. The former state Senate pro Tem who voted on these maps.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was the payoff, because there was no way Prop fifty was going to get through the legislature without him and Assembly Speaker Revis signing off on it. And both of them now have districts to run in.
Speaker 2: There's been some hogwash. Apparently Kylie is looking at the only seat where he might be able to win, as if he runs against Tom McClintock. Oh boy, And then you have that fight in Orange County now between Ken Calvert and Young Kim. It's it's going to be an ugly twenty twenty six for the surviving Republican seats.
Speaker 1: It is, But then just give it four years and the Democrats are going to deal with the same thing because we're going to lose four or five seats.
Speaker 10: I do think jerry mandering is bad for democracy, and I think that's true wherever it happens, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: And he put his money where his mouth is. He wrote a bill that would abandoned this practice nationwide. Never made it to the House floor.
Speaker 1: No, and that put him on the opposite side of the Speaker because the will in Washington, d C. Among Democrats and Republicans is this. In California, it costs a fortune to protect these seats. In New York, it costs a fortune to protect these seats. So if you just make all of the seats in California and New York and places where it's expensive just one party or another, the seat just belongs to someone and you just don't play in that race at all, well you save a ton of money. Because if you can spend money on a Congression district, and let's say rural Indiana or rural Texas, the media markets there if you're buying time in Abilene is very different than if you're buying time in La or San.
Speaker 4: Diego or San Francisco.
Speaker 1: So from the point of view of both the national I'm not talking about the state, the National Democratic and the National Republican parties, this was a good deal because it saves them a ton of money.
Speaker 3: I think that's true wherever it happens.
Speaker 10: It doesn't really make sense to have politicians drawing their own district clients picking their own voters.
Speaker 2: It should be voters who picked the politicians.
Speaker 8: Now, the timing for all of this is significant because the window for candidates to officially declare which districts they're running in opens Monday, reporting at the state capitol, covering local news that matters Atah Wallace, Fox forty News.
Speaker 2: So there you go. Prop fifty is here to stay. Those maps will be in effect for the twenty twenty six midterms.
Speaker 1: And Gavin Newsom of course counts this as a big political win for him back in twenty twenty five, feels that the wind is at his sales right now in twenty twenty six, Well, that thing.
Speaker 2: Did pass by over sixty percent in almost every county they did.
Speaker 4: It did.
Speaker 1: Now that leads us to where we are right now, which is Gavin Newsom is trying to make sure he lines up all his ducks in a row before he launches his campaign for the presidency. He comes from San Francisco. The dominant industry in California is the tech industry. He expects the tech industry to line up behind him and finance his campaign as they have in the past. However, you can't be a Democratic candidate for president and not have support among labor two. So what happens when the tech industry and labor are at odds with one another well, what happens is Gavin Newsom he hits the thumbs and right now he's getting pressure from both.
Speaker 2: Sides, including from his old buddy Loreina Gonzalez.
Speaker 1: Who is now threatening Gavin Newsom that if he doesn't crack down on AI, labor will not support him for more.
Speaker 2: Here's KCA three and Ashley Savalla.
Speaker 7: They and national labor leaders we're in Sacramentol today pushing for protections against artificial intelligence. They want Governor Gavin Newsom to do more to make sure AI does not cost people their jobs.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us here.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's happening. I don't think there's much Gavin can do about it.
Speaker 1: No, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. It's here, It's here to stay. It's not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: This has been true for a very long time, but it's accelerating even faster. Technology evolves way quicker than anyone will ever be able to regulate it.
Speaker 1: And go back to the discussion that we just had about our members in Congress. These people are in their eighties. They don't know how to change the channel on their television. You think they can be one step ahead of the tech industry.
Speaker 4: And regulate AI.
Speaker 7: Thanks for joining us here at seven.
Speaker 11: I'm Curtis May and I'm media Lambert KSERI three political director Ashley Zavala shares their message.
Speaker 12: Labor leaders were trying to send a message to Gavin Newsom, not justice California governor, but as likely presidential candidate. Lourena Gonzalez, the leader of the California Labor Federation, hosted a press conference with other labor leaders from key presidential primary states like Iowa, North Carolina, Nevada, and Georgia, all urging Newsom to do more to protect workers from being replaced by artificial intelligence. Gonzale has made it clear she can.
Speaker 2: By the way, you know what really drove the acceleration of this was a little thing called AB five that Loraina Gonzalez authored and got through the legislature that was signed that made it a lot harder to be an independent contractor in this state, which has accelerated the job losses for a whole lot of different categories.
Speaker 4: It's almost as if she didn't think it through.
Speaker 12: Gonzale has made it clear she feels like the governor is doing more to protect the tech industry than workers right now now, other leaders from other states suggested the nation's leader needs to be at the forefront of the problem.
Speaker 13: I'm very frustrated with the calculus of the governor that he may be more interested in his big tech billionaire friends than he is with working people.
Speaker 2: This is a trend now between Lorena with her federation and then the SCIU going after Gavin for not supporting the wealth text. The unions are all making a lot of threats based on his political ambitions.
Speaker 1: Well, they think that they call the shots and the governor doesn't. The governor thinks that he calls the shots and they don't. And right now they're bumping heads.
Speaker 13: I'm very frustrated with the calculus of the governor that he may be more interested in his big tech billionaire friends than he is with working people, I guess. And I'm more frustrated, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Don't you miss that voice, not one bit.
Speaker 13: And I'm more frustrated, to be honest that it's like, sit down and engage. And we know this in California, right we always say this on big shoes, sit down and let's have a discussion.
Speaker 2: Yes, because us, the unelected members of these union boards, we're the ones in charge here.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine breaking bread with her?
Speaker 14: I welcome, Governor Newsom. Come on down to North Carolina. Get you some barbecue with some sweet tea. Oh okay, come come experience the mountains of West and North Carolina to the beaches of the outer Banks. But rest assure that if you come to North Carolina, you are going to have to meet and reckon with workers.
Speaker 12: Officials with the California Labor Federation say later this month they will release a set of proposals they want state lawmakers and the governor to pass this year to protect workers from AI. Reporting of the state capital, Ashley Zaballa case Harry three News.
Speaker 11: In a statement, a spokesperson for Governor Newsom said, quote, no governor has done more than Governor Gavin Newsom to regulate AI in a way that protects workers without killing jobs or innovation. Under his leadership, California has taken the most comprehensive worker centered approach to AI in the country. They continued, Well, the Trump administration has abandoned working people. Governor knew some delivers, raising the minimum wage for millions and expanding sick leave, paid family leave, and life saving worker protections.
Speaker 2: You Havevin new some statement says, hey, I've already done a lot for these union overlords.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting to me is when he bumps heads with a Republican or some talking head or whomever, a Republican celebrity, they get real bitchy with their statements. But did you notice how when he bumps heads with labor how that's a very traditional political statement that you would expect to hear from a politician.
Speaker 2: You don't want to piss off the rann Againzales.
Speaker 1: They're afraid of her, and I'm telling you, one of these young kids working in his press office isn't going to know who she is. They're just going to know that they're being attacked by someone on the outside, and they're going to go after her, and then the carrot inside her is going to be unleashed. It'll be a beautiful thing to see. Eight hundred two two two five two two two East telephone number one, eight hundred two two two five to two two two.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Morris in La Morris.
Speaker 9: Hello, Yes, good afternoon. Karen Bass is going to get re elected ninety five percent because many of the voters that go out and vote for her have a real, real low iq. Even if the city went into bankruptcy, she'd get reelected. So if people don't know what they're voting for, and Rick Caruso should be a true Republican. All right. It's this drastic change is going to be made up for the city of la and Karen Vass is not the lady to make the changes falls. She is for socialism, sanctuary city, the homeless, and the registered voter, the taxpayer actually supports the city getting and unfortunately many of the people who live in the residents.
Speaker 4: All right, I think we just lost you there, but thank you for the call. Morris. We're up against a heartbreak anyway.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two East telphone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. And Colter coming up after the news at two and Randy. On Friday, you can see us live and in person.
Speaker 2: It's tomorrow, people, How exciting is this? Friday, February sixth, from noon to three, Johnny and I are going to be broadcasting live at Gladstone's in Long Beach, and you're invited come enjoy the great food. The fish is so good, there, great vibes, good drinks and a fun afternoon by the water. John saying, meister is gonna take care of you. It's so much fun. At Gladstone's in Long Beach. Susan Shelley from the Howard Jarvis Taxpay Association will join us. She'll tell you more about your taxpair rights and protecting Prop thirteen. As we have been telling you, the courts have made it easier to raise your taxes. We need you to come by and sign the petition to save Prop thirteen. That deadline is coming very fast February seventeenth. Susan needs those signatures to get this thing on the ballot. To make it so, you need once again a two thirds majority, no matter who puts a tax increase on the ballot. So if you haven't done it already, Saveprop thirteen dot com. That Saveprop thirteen dot com, but regardless, come hang out with us, grab a bite and be part of the broadcast. The John Phillips Show live at Gladstone's in Long Beach tomorrow from noon to three. Let's go to Bill and seebe Valley Bill.
Speaker 15: Hello, John, Hey, I got a question for oh Mayor Beth SETI what's the status quo of the fire department maintenance yard that was full of broken down fire trucks a year ago that one of the TV stations flew over and broadcast. Has anybody done anything about it to put these units back on the streets. And I don't see any newspapers or any TV reporters out there knocking on the door and say, we want to look at the yard. Let's see what the status quo of all the just broken down units were. Because the city council wakes up every morning and does nothing but spend a billion dollars on anything and everything. But so somebody's got to put her feet to the fire when it comes time to these mayor trust conferences and stuff. But they don't seem to be able to do that.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you for the call, sir and Randy.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken, we did an update on this not long ago that said that there really hasn't been much progress made.
Speaker 2: There are less fire trucks in service now than before the Palisades fire.
Speaker 1: Yet another reason why Mayor Karen Bass should not be re elected.
Speaker 2: Well, ultimately that is up to the Los Angeles voter. Let's check in with them.
Speaker 6: No, I don't know enough to give you any good information, but good luck finding someone who does.
Speaker 1: And that's why we can't have nice things. All right, Randy, it's time to open up the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 3: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 4: This is wow, Wow, what's up here?
Speaker 9: Dun dun dun dun dun dun dunk reached.
Speaker 3: The Califonia Crime Blodder with.
Speaker 4: Jung and Randy.
Speaker 1: The first edition of today's Blodder takes us to the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 2: Woodland Hills is getting burglarized again more here's KTLA.
Speaker 12: Five cars full of burglary suspects try to escape in Woodland Hills early this morning, but they didn't get far.
Speaker 16: Officers took them into custody.
Speaker 2: After Hey, that's rare.
Speaker 4: Yeah, usually you only hear about that Orange County.
Speaker 17: After a short pursuit came to a crushing end.
Speaker 13: Police a five burglary suspects were ultimately arrested.
Speaker 10: The victim says he was watching as not one, but two groups of suspected thieves showed up to his home in just one.
Speaker 2: Night where they're competing crews going after the same block.
Speaker 1: Imagine being hit twice in one night, and you live in suburbia and pay a fortune to live there.
Speaker 10: Carlos sossetto live in Woodland Hillston night. He's got the latest on this, Carlos.
Speaker 3: At Kareem.
Speaker 18: We know at least five people were arrested in connection with a home burglary that occurred overnight. The home apparently targeted multiple times, and as the thieves were attempting to get away, they struck it to several parked vehicles, including this one.
Speaker 2: So just a whole lot of damage.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a rough night.
Speaker 19: A wild scene in this Woodland Hills neighborhood as LAPD initiates a short pursuit after officers shine a flashlight into a tesla and foreheads pop up inside.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, what do you think it is? Burglars or horny teenagers?
Speaker 2: Well, teenagers usually can't afford the tesla's.
Speaker 4: But their parents can.
Speaker 19: The driver then tries to bolt out, going in reverse, hitting several parked vehicles along the way.
Speaker 2: Some dudes, and no, they were not on ambient.
Speaker 4: Do they do? Morning? Somewhere in town.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I shouldn't have even brought it up.
Speaker 3: Some dudes smash my car trying to get away from the police. People can't have nothing nice, dude.
Speaker 2: That is a valley bro if I've ever heard one. So let me just save him right now because I need him in the future. Valley bro.
Speaker 3: People can't have nothing nice, dude.
Speaker 1: He sounds like Malibu the old American Gladiator. People can't have nothing nice, dude.
Speaker 19: At least five people were taken into custody as the suspected vehicle had nowhere to go. Police say burglary.
Speaker 3: Tools were found inside.
Speaker 19: The suspects are believed to have been connected to a home burglary and the fifty one hundred block of Campbell wrote.
Speaker 20: I think they were just trying to grab and go. They took like my money counter. They took just random things around the house.
Speaker 2: Who has a money counter?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: This guy got a little little card room going on in the back.
Speaker 4: What do you work for a bank and you bring some of the equipment home with you?
Speaker 20: My money counter? They took just random things around the house.
Speaker 19: Chris Romo says the house he's staying at was targeted while he and his girlfriend.
Speaker 2: We're out to dinner the night before.
Speaker 19: Surveillance video shows a man and woman going through several boxes outside before allegedly breaking in. He says, afterwards, another group of would be thieves showed up.
Speaker 20: We seen it on the camera, so we came back and you know, we called the police and everything. We told them what was going on, and then they came back again while we were here.
Speaker 2: Hey, look at this. To Penga Division, you're doing it. You're doing the thing.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I don't know. They're just trying to grab more stuff or trying to scare us.
Speaker 19: That's when the suspects attempted to leave, but police were already in the area.
Speaker 17: I heard all the sirens and then they had helicopters and the flashlights.
Speaker 19: It's believe about five to six thousand dollars worth of items were taken from the property.
Speaker 18: And police are still looking for additional suspects. Anyone with any information should contact the LAPD or putting Live Tonight from Woodland Hills, Carlos Aalseto Kay telling five News so.
Speaker 2: A story you don't hear often. Burglary suspects in La County are rested Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't want to cast any aspersions here, but there's a few things in this story that don't make any sense. Oh really, Yeah. First of all, why would a single family home in the San Fernando Valley have a money counter? Isn't that something that's usually associated with commerce? You would think so, yes, Okay, So if you have a tool of commerce in a single family home, why is that there. Maybe maybe, and you know, you don't know what this could be. It could be that maybe they take one hundred dollars bills, they get them into the bank, they cash them into all ones, and then they put them in the money counter to make sure that they have one hundred ones, and then they go to the strip club. Okay, so you have horny teenagers in the car and horny homeowners in the house.
Speaker 3: People can have nothing nice, dude.
Speaker 1: And then the burglars came back a second time, as if there was unfinished business.
Speaker 2: Well, that could have been a second crew. Like you've got a whole bunch of different people that all want to rob this one house.
Speaker 4: So you think they just got randomly hit twice.
Speaker 2: There could be more to this story.
Speaker 1: Or they were looking for something very specific in this house with the money counter. And then the third thing that makes no sense to me is something you brought up. Usually when these things happen, the bad guys are in stolen Kias, they're in a Tesla. They were in a Tesla and there was four of them. That seems like not your average burglar or upscale burglar. If you will, You've worked your way up in the world.
Speaker 2: You started with a stolen Kia, then you upgraded to a stolen Hyundai, and now you stole enough off that you've probably got your own Tesla.
Speaker 1: Now I'm not going to make any allegations here because I know basically what you know what we just heard from that report, but it seems like salient information is being left out here. People can have nothing nice, dude, and right now it's time to reopen the California Crime Bladder.
Speaker 2: If the dummy, we shouldn't make this stuff up.
Speaker 14: If we tried, I said, hell no, many boy, Let me get up one out of here.
Speaker 3: It's the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 4: And Randy. This edition takes us to the state capitol.
Speaker 2: Sacramento apparently is in competition with Oakland about one embarrassing feature.
Speaker 17: You know this has really been an issue for the city.
Speaker 1: You mispronounced the name Oakland, and I think you were just going to clarify with that clip.
Speaker 2: That's the thing I was gonna do. We both had the same idea.
Speaker 17: You know, this has really been an issue for the city of Dumpy.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, there you go.
Speaker 2: Sacramento has a big illegal dumping program. For more, Let's go to Fox forty in Sacramento, aka Dumpy two.
Speaker 21: This, of course is a load of trash in a dumpster where it belongs.
Speaker 22: But unfortunately we see.
Speaker 2: See they realized that we were going to play this on the radio and they needed to describe that people were staring at a dumpster.
Speaker 1: Now, Randy, I'm from Garden Grove, which is right next to Disneyland, So I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the answer to this, but was Dumpy one of the seven Dwarfs?
Speaker 2: I think that's the eighth one.
Speaker 21: Fortunately, we see piles like this along streets throughout the city. So yes, the city has launched a new effort with the goal of making some tangible changes.
Speaker 23: We're trying to revitalize areas of our community, of our city district.
Speaker 22: To council member Roger Dickinson acknowledges illegal dumping is a problem in Sacramento. He refers to it as an insult to the residents and businesses in the areas where it happens.
Speaker 23: It doesn't help their property values, it doesn't help their image both there.
Speaker 2: No, it's a complete failure of government that we allow piles and piles and piles of garbage to just accumulate. You look at Los Angeles where in the produce district you have pallets and palettes of rotting fruit. You know where they're coming from.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't want to take any of the blame off of the person who's doing the dumping, but the city deserves a certain amount of the blame too, because we know that a lot of these companies that own the dumps or campaign contributors and certainly supporters of these various campaigns. However, one are the things it happens when the politicians are in bed with people like that, is that the fees when you go to dump something can frequently be so high that it's cheaper to just pay the fine if you get caught dumping it than to dispose of it properly. If you're a stity, and you want to do want people to do the right thing, you should make it easier to do the right thing than to do the wrong.
Speaker 23: Thing, both their self image and their image to the broader community of what their neighborhood is like.
Speaker 22: Some residents we spoke with are indeed fed up over the ice sores.
Speaker 24: Washer dryers, all sorts of stalk furniture beds.
Speaker 2: Just a washer and a dryer sitting on a curb.
Speaker 4: Oh, that neighborhood has to look real classy.
Speaker 24: Washer dryers, all sorts of stalk furniture beds.
Speaker 3: It's pretty sad. I also wondered who picked it up.
Speaker 22: Some say they want more done to prevent illegal dumping.
Speaker 24: Sometimes define is not enough because some people have a lot of money and there's no problem just to pay a five hundred dollars fine.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting who does a lot of this illegal dumping. When we started seeing these NonStop fires in the Subpulvita basin in the San Fernando Valley that were caused by all the homeless and investigative news reporters started to go into the Subpulvita basin. What they found inside the basin was a whole lot of dumped materials from contractors who didn't want to pay to go use the dump. And as you said, the fees for getting caught illegal dumping are less than the fees for properly dumping.
Speaker 4: A lot of this is commercial.
Speaker 1: Certainly that has to be the case with the rotting produce in Los Angeles. It has to be the case with the rotting pork in that one neighborhood and Lenox that people keep finding rotting pork on the street.
Speaker 4: But it's also crime.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't forget that one story that we did where there's one spot in Los Angeles where people who steal ATMs dump the ATM after they've taken all the money out of it, and there's just a gazillion and ATMs dumped on the side of the freeway.
Speaker 24: There's no problem just to pay a five hundred dollars fine.
Speaker 22: One person suggested providing more options for people to take large loads to a dump without fees.
Speaker 12: If they don't have many to pay rent, how do you have many to go dump somewhere that you're legally supposed to dump it at.
Speaker 22: The City of Sacramento has identified areas that are hotspots for illegal dumping. Dickinson is on the city's Budget and Audit Committee, and at a meeting this week, the committee launched a new effort to address the problem and come up with solutions to more effectively and efficiently curb illegal dumping.
Speaker 23: Right now, if there's illegal dumping in the street, the way the Solid Waste Department responds to that is just if there's a truck, a refuse truck in the vicinity that has time, they go by and pick it up. Well, I would like to see that become much more intentional that when we get a report of illegal dumping, that there is actually a vehicle that's assigned to respond to that report in a relatively brief pa time.
Speaker 22: Dickinson says, the new effort, you have to do two things.
Speaker 1: You have to remove these items when they're dumped on the side of the road, otherwise it becomes blight and the neighborhood looks like it's completely trashed. And if the neighborhood looks like it's trashed, guess what. One thing leads to another and the crimes go from small to severe. We know this through the broken windows theory of James Q. Wilson. But the other thing is you have to crack down on it. You have to make it so that it's easier to do the right thing than the wrong thing, and if you do the wrong thing, the city's going to come down on you like a ton of bricks.
Speaker 22: Dickinson says the new effort also includes plans to educate and engage the public on the issue, and he suggests more aggressive enforcement, including the use of cameras and drones, and amending an ordinance to allow the city to send out citations in the mail based on license plates of cars associated with illegal dumping.
Speaker 2: When you would think that'd be the first thing we do with all these license per readers. Consider that it's a lot of work trucks that are doing a lot of this dumping.
Speaker 1: But how often do we do these blotder stories where if you really wanted to find the person, you have the relevant information to find them, they just don't want to find them because they know that the DA and the court system won't do anything with it.
Speaker 2: We've got to I mean, we don't have room in the jails for actual crime. This is such a low level quality of life crime that it is barely even enforced.
Speaker 23: We've got to respond efficiently and effectively if we're going to really successfully reduce the amount of illegal dumping that goes on.
Speaker 21: And Dickerson says we can expect to see some changes in effect within six months, and he says not all of these are going to require votes of the city council. Is just changing the way the city does business when it comes to picking up the trash and getting people to get that message to not dump the trash. Live in Sacramento covering local news that matters, Dennis Shanahan, Fox forty News.
Speaker 2: So there you go, the Meadow City Council trying to do something so they don't become the next City of Dumpy.
Speaker 17: You know, this has really been an issue for the City of Dumpy.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, let's go to Cheryl. Cheryl, Hello, Hello, Hey.
Speaker 16: In nineteen seventy nine, I was the first and only garbage woman they ever had into Wolomie County. That's my one claim to fame. But what I called to talk about is we also had the very last free dump in the state of California. And the solution it was a wonderful solution because I was also a college student there at Columbia JC and on the weekend, you just you know, did your trash together something to do. You were allowed to salvage what you wanted. But in addition to that, someone was salvaging and had they had a big yard there like a big outdoor sale the things that you could sell, and there was no trash on the side of the roads. So it's something. I know it's socialism to have, you know, free garbage service, but maybe it's a time we revisit that instead of giving all the money for the illegals and everything else.
Speaker 4: All right, well, thank you for the call. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I bet it was a lot cleaner back then in the state of California too,