Speaker 1: We've got the burn Dog, the one and only mister Berman that we're all very very excited for. Steve Berman of the Athletic joining us here to talk about giants and some forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Mister Berman, what's going on? How are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, bro.
Speaker 1: How are you excellence? You know, just enjoying what the summer has to offer. This is the last night of summer for my kids because they go back to school now on August sixth.
Speaker 2: For some odd reason that I don't start.
Speaker 1: Back in our day, Steve, we used to go back to school after Labor Day or right there around. And now they're like, nah, we got to get these kids back in school in August when it's a tottest, when our acs are tested the most. That's what we want, all these kids in a classroom together, thirty plus strong. So uh yeah, I don't know what that's all about, but you do what you gotta do.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, by the way, yeah, one, that's ridiculous. We have late summer here. We should start the summer vacation for the kids in like mid July.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, it's it's ridiculous. And as of course now they're going back to school. It's been hot as heck lately. It's like, of course, it just times out perfectly. But you know, we'll save our rantings about the California education of the Bay Area for a while and substation will come into moments. But I wanted to ask your reaction about the Giants about their deadline moves. I know, they keep on losing games, and you know they're descending to new lows, but just a reaction to what they were able to do with the deadline and maybe also what they were not able to do with the deadline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought, actually it as far as expectations go, it was a very productive deadline and a little almost surprisingly so, especially after the first trade the day before the deadline was Tyler Molly for Andy Molina, a guy who essentially, I mean that was the salary dump. And this is a guy with an ERA around seven in Molina, just a guy, right, So okay, Well, Mollie actually had been pitching pretty well leading up to that point. So if they can't get anything for him, are they even in a trade or they you know, what are they going to get for Luisa Rise? And it seems like, I mean, obviously you have to deal with prospect rankings and all this stuff is is a bit of a crap shoot. Even though there's some educated guesses going on, it seems like they were They did a lot of good stuff in terms of acting some adding some arms that could work in the system. I think Marquez is the guy that seems like he could be maybe on the fast tracks the big leagues and not too long. Henry Lalani is a guy who you know, seems to have some promise or they got for Elliott Ramos, and Ramos is a guy that a lot of people were sort of saying that it makes sense to trade him because he's a guy who is the right handed hitter and there weren't very many of them in the market. But you kind of felt like, all right, well he's sort of a popular player and he's a guy who is under team control. So is that really something they're gonna do. And I don't think you can really do a full rebuild when you have guys like Chapman and the Damas Endeavors in your Oscar and Logan who they said they weren't going to trade. But this was definitely a resetting of sorts for I think with what the teams like to say. Instead of rebuilt, they were really active and a lot of people throughout the industry seem to think that they did a pretty good job.
Speaker 1: What about the big three though, that you mentioned with Devers and Chapman and A Damas says still being part of this team, and you know, A Damas is what he is. You know, I like aspects of his game. Other times I find quite maddening. Chapman if he plays to his baseball card. I ostensibly like Devers, I ostensibly like if he is that guy again, but he had such a you know, the numbers of him. Since he was traded to the Giants, the team has not had a positive, you know record with him on the team.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I mean, you still have those three guys, you do, but how.
Speaker 3: Are you going to get rid of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, what team? I mean, Chapman's probably going to be out for the season. Devers's contract is really really long and obviously has all that money involved as well, Damas not really having a very good season dealing with the back problems. Defense hasn't been that great. So what team is gonna come over and say, hey, you know what this guy who's an albatross on your roster and making a ton of money and not playing well or not playing at all. Well, let's give you some good prospects for this guy who's gonna cost us a ton of money. I mean, unless the Giants were gonna pay down well over fifty percent if any of those contracts, nothing was gonna happen. And even then, I'm not even sure if teams were really chomping at the bit to get any one of those guys. I mean, maybe a guy like Devers if you're gonna pay most of the contract off, sure, because of these guys who can hit in the playoffs. But yes, that just wasn't realistic. So I think with the hand that they were dealt, I mean, obviously it was self dealt in some respects, but with the hand they were dealt in terms of the guys who actually had some market value out there at the deadline, I think they did really well. I was actually surprised, pleasantly so for the Giants on the trades for Ray Ramos Arise, seems like that was a pretty good deal, even though you know, a lot of fans rightly so really love the way he plays and then also to get you know, a little bit of a lottery ticket Marcella Meyer, who I think Red Sox fans are kind of ready to get rid of because he was always injured and there were some questions about him just in general with his attitude and stuff. But you know, he's still only twenty three years old, and he was the number four prospect in the game like a couple of years ago. So you know, when you're in a team in the position like the Giants, you know, still and dark to the board like that is something that you really want to do. There's no reason not to at this point because you're not gonna be able to take risks otherwise.
Speaker 1: Again, we got Steve Berman, the athletic join us here on sports Phone KMBR. I will now take us over to the land of the forty nine ers. And I don't know if you heard me earlier. I assume you weren't just listening to get my entire take before you came on, But I was saying, now stay with me, because it sounds a little bit crazy that I was making a comparison with the forty nine ers to the Giants, and that the Giants all throughout the off season. We knew that they needed to improve with their pitching and their bullpen, and they didn't do it, and we saw the results right off the get go being problematic and their season was over before it began. If anyone came up to me, Steven said, Ted, what are the forty nine ers need to do this year to have success?
Speaker 2: I would say, be healthy.
Speaker 1: And they already had twenty guys out of practice today. They already have lost Ricky Piersoll, which is an extension of an injury from a year ago. They memes about the substation are out of control online. I mean, I just it's incredible that it took that few days of training camp for injuries to be the big story, when before you had your head coach in a serious car accident. Then all of a sudden, Ricky Pearsall's likely out for the year is out for the year, and you're bringing back Deebo Samuel who now with injuries to Evans and Kirk and Stribbling, he's like your one healthy wide receiver and he was only on the team.
Speaker 2: A couple days ago.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's yeah. I think it's sort of the same thing with the Giants in terms of you know, the Giants have had just way too much nonfense this season, but it's all been kind of off the field stuff, or I guess on the field stuff with the with the outfielder celebrations. In this case, the Niners Shenanigans are just like the amount of injuries and then how they come. And so Kyle Shanahan getting that car accident before training camp started, not being there when it opens just seemed so forty nine ers in just a dark way, you know, I remember, you know, during training camp. But you know, a couple of years ago, I was in the city for a concert and I actually no, it was to go to a Giants game. And right about like i'd say, half hour after I arrived in downtown, right by Market Street, you know, there were sirens. We heard a bunch of them. And then I seen it online that Ricky Ricky Pearsall has been shot and so and I'm just and at that point it was like, is he gonna is he gonna die? The Torso, Yeah, it was one of the wilder situations, obviously, and thank goodness he came out of it. Okay, But you know this might sound awful. I guess it's okay now, because Ricky Piersoll had a being all right, but that is sort of a very forty nine ers kind of thing to happen. It seems like over the years they somehow, you know, just I guess you can have the exception of a couple seasons, you know, two seasons ago twenty four they won six and eleven, and they went six and ten and twenty twenty. Those are kind of the two years of the Shanahan Arrow where the wheels kind of fell off. But otherwise they deal with all this weird stuff that happens, whether it's contract negotiations, you know, Jimmy Garoppolo throwing on a side feel away from everybody else. There's always something, you know, Nick Bosa's contract negotiations. There's always something weird during training camp and right before the season, and then usually they're able to figure it out. I think right now that the only way you can look at this optimistically. With yes, twenty guys out of the ninety on the on the roster who were unable to practice today, A lot of those are listed as soreness. So if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, which I'm sure a lot of fans health wise are not really willing to do so, is that maybe they're being extremely cautious this year. And in terms of if you have any sort of reason, any little tweak, you know, tightness, you're not practicing just because they want to make sure that these things don't turn into recurring injuries. Now, on the other hand, you can also look at it and if you're a conspiracy theorist or just someone who has been watching this for years and looking for some reason why the Niners team to get injured more often than other teams, and albeit at a very violent sport, the substation is gonna keep rare in its ugly head. It doesn't matter that John Lynch comes and tells everyone, hey, we actually had some scientists come in and it's fine. It doesn't actually mean anything. It's really as this perception becomes a reality at some point here. And so I don't think this means that they're gonna move their training camp facility at any point, but gosh, until you have a year where they are one of the healthiest teams in football, people are gonna still bring it up.
Speaker 1: The other thing about it is that it's so prominent in every bit of footage or picture that comes out of training camp. I mean, it's right there in the backdrop, and I mean it just you can't help but wonder. And I am not a believer in this in the sense that there's nothing backing it up. Like John Lynch said, They've had scientists come out and there's so many things about it that it doesn't make any sense. But when it's there looming over every bit of footage, like you just kind of go like, well, I don't I mean, what if what else is the answer here? Because it's just it's amazing to watch it go down when we all know that was the main issue for this team was health, and then they're dealing with all these things. But I guess, like he alluded to, none of them except for the pearce Al are supremely bad. They are being careful. They're not saying Nick Bosa Nie soreness. They're not saying, you know, other guys have you know, soreness specific to one type of thing that's you know, like Drake green Law's not sore achilles or something like that. It is nebulous phrasing the condition be like, hey, you know what, we want to make sure our guys.
Speaker 3: Are okay, Well, maybe the answer here is just to embrace the substation and make it the mascot. So I know that we all love saradough Sam, but maybe we could have the substation guy in a substation costume jumping around and saying they're going to shock the other team. I guess the Chargers might get upset about that in terms of but Paton's frigeman. Maybe, But maybe that's that's what it is. Instead of just pretending it doesn't exist and hoping that people stop talking about it, just embrace it. You know, I have T shirts the mascot. I don't know, it just seems like it's one of those things that's never going to go away now, although it you know, it wasn't really talked about, you know, gosh when the when the team was awful and not winning. Yeah, and you know, I mean they had you know, injuries here and there like any other team. I mean, the substation wasn't put in three years ago. So you know, maybe it's one of those deals where there's just so much scrutiny on this team, mainly because they've been relevant almost every season and I've lost to Super Bowl since Shanahan's got there. They've been just so close on the doorstep that people are just like, all right, we need everything to fall in a place we can finally win another one, our first one since the ninety four season when they won in January of ninety five. Please God give us a chance to win the Super Bowl. Oh man, this guy's out again and Mike Evans as a quad Oh, it's not going to happen to us. So yeah, there's a lot of gloom and doom that kind of happens with this team despite all the playoff appearances. But it's understandable. It's been frustrating.
Speaker 2: I also think a.
Speaker 1: Part of it is that there is a I don't know if jealousy is the right term, but I think a lot of the rest of the NFL fandom looks at the forty nine ers in the sense that they were already the team of the decade in the eighties and then won a Super Bowl in the nineties. But we're relevant throughout the entire decade and even went from Steve Young to Jeff Garcia, who kept them relevant essentially until the Denny Erickson era, and then you went through Mike Nolan.
Speaker 2: But then they came back with Harbaugh.
Speaker 1: They were in three straight NFC Championship games, lost to Super Bowl along the way down for a couple of years, then come back with Harbaugh, and they've been back in it essentially relevant except for those two years you mentioned where they were dealing with injuries, and like the forty nine Ers for forty years have been a constant presence, and you know, they're one of the teams that's won the most Super Bowls. Obviously, you know, the Patriots were able to surpass the Cowboys and the forty nine Ers, and the Steelers are in the conversation as well. But I mean, I feel like that is part of it, that there's almost a large enough area of the NFL fan base that doesn't view them like the Cowboys, but still doesn't hate the fact that they're having these troubles.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not, that's for sure. And the Niners have built up a lot of good rivalries over the years. I mean, the Seahawks one really came to fruition. I mean, you and I are old enough to remember when the Seahawks are in the AFC West, and now the number one rival for the three nine Ers is the Seattle Seahawks, but they have rivalries and other divisions too, and also they're just they are, Like I think pretty much what you're alluding to is they're a top five sort of showcase brand in the NFL. Well, and that's why, you know the fact that they say we're not going to do hard knocks. The NFL says, Okay, well, then we're gonna stick you in Australia and Mexico City so in the same season. And I was gonna complain about that, but that comes with being one of the marquee teams, and especially if you're not going to do hard knocks. So yeah, I think that with the amount of time that people talk about this team, because they also not just you know, relevancy in terms of playoff appearances, but they do have just a lot of like weird news stories that happened. Like I was to talk about a little bit ago, you know, with you know, the weird weirdness of the Garoppolo and then Purty the last pick of the draft, the surfing him, the contract negotiations is ayuk saying it's been super weird. Now, granted, I think most people are not really thinking that the forty nine ers have anything that they're faull for here because a Yuk has not really done himself any favors. But it's also this there's there is a lot of noise. It's not Cowboys style noise where ESPN's talking about him on every segment, but there is a lot of probably forty nine ers fatigue just from over the decades. I think older fans, especially younger fans maybe not so much, but older fans who've been around since you know, the eighties and Joe Montana, they're probably like, Okay, well, it's fine for you guys. You had your deal with the devil back then, and it's time for you guys to have a little bit of bad luck too.
Speaker 2: What are your hopes for the forty nine ers this year?
Speaker 1: Because I feel like they are probably in a similar boat where I think they can get through the wild card round, but that story probably comes to a close in the divisional round because they just don't have what the Rams or the Seahawks have specifically, or whoever it's going to be like, when I looked at this team in twenty twenty three, I was like, Yeah, this is a team that can really go get it done. And even the way they started off that twenty nineteen season when the defense was so dominant, their run game was so dominant, and I felt differently about it.
Speaker 2: And they were younger. That's part of this narrative as well.
Speaker 1: But as they are constructed right now, it's kind of a they're good enough to get to the playoffs and lose, and that's not the point.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's kind of where they're at. I think I'm not and I think they don't believe that they go to the playoffs and they lose. They I mean, that team last year was really not that good. I said that the entire year. I was just watching those games. Yeah, this isn't that good. This team isn't that good. And then they ended up in the playoffs. Anyways, in the toughest division of football. They went twelve and five somehow and then won a playoff game in Philly, and then you're like, oh, okay, then they go to Seattle and get their bells wrong. But but that's that team was not that great. This team, I think should be a bit better, and it seems like they've leaned into all right, this is our last chance. With all these skilled position guys and Trent Williams who are in their thirties and guys who have injury histories. So all right, they signed Mike Evans who has some injuries in the past himself and is in the thirties. They're like, all right, We're just this is the year after this year, there might be like last year there was a reset financially, I think next year, depending on what happens, there's gonna be a major reset with his team. And but you look at it also with Drake Greenlaw, Deebo Samuel bringing those guys back, So this is really like, all right, we're gonna do it. This team will go as far as the defense and the running game takes them. As you were just saying. When you look back at the defensive rankings over the years when they were good, they were top ten in most categories. In twenty twenty two, when Damiko Ryans was the defensive coordinator, they were number one in points and yards allowed per game, which is pretty outstanding. And they still haven't really made up for the fact that Demiko Ryans left solid came back last year, but the defense was the shell of itself. I think one thing it'll be interesting to see is how they handled this early schedule and if they add because right now this team I think is sorely meeting another pass rusher. If they don't get another pass rusher, then I think it's gonna be pretty difficult. Last year they were a joke in terms of sacks that they had. I was actually watching a Celebrity Jeopardy ESPN edition recently where they showed Miles Garrett on the screen. All you have to do is identify Miles Garrett was the answer to the question. But how they described it was this player for the Cleveland Browns had more sacks than one team, the forty nine ers, And I'm like, wow, the forty nine ERDs are taking trays from Joe Buck on Celebrity Jeopardy. So that's that's really like, that's pretty embarrassing. So if this team is pretty good, I think with what you've seen, especially with the Deebo signing, I mean they kind of had to do it, but still it shows that they're not thinking as much about our finances this year, and you know, working in young guys, they do want to win this year. Maybe there's this chance you get a guy like Max Crosby at the trade deadline something like that, because it sort of match the aggressiveness of the Rams in that division, and the Seahawks are really talented. It's gonna be a tough year. But if the run game is much better than it was last year, and I think that they actually have a better stable running backs this season, even though a couple of them already hurt. Okay, but the defense.
Speaker 2: Has to be better, So why not go get Joey Bosa?
Speaker 3: Well, I they still might get Joey Bosa. I don't think that that's out of question. Now. I don't really know if that's the panacea. He's not what he once was, and he did he was relatively healthy last season. Can you really count on that either? And knowing the bosas, Joey Bosa is probably asking for a ton of money that they probably don't want to give. So, but I you know, as the season draws closer, if Bosa's realizing that he might not end up on a team, maybe maybe he knows that with his skill set he doesn't need a training camp. He can just pop in and in October November and you know, rush the passer and be fine. I don't know, though, I mean I'm thinking more of a guy who's actually active right now on a team, is one of the best players in the league. Is is someone that you do so, you know, the same sort of move that the forty Hires might have made in like nineteen ninety four. You know, you get a guy who, you know, to match what the Rams are doing right now with getting Miles Garrett and then probably getting Aaron Donald at some point here shortly.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, in ninety four, they brought in Dion Sanders, they brought in Toy Cook, they brought in Ken Norton Junior, and they brought in Gary Plummers. So I don't think they're gonna be able to do that now that the league's a little bit different.
Speaker 2: Now you may have noticed, right.
Speaker 3: A little a little bit. I mean that still all the rules are made because what the forty nine ers did back then, that's true, But you can get one player. I mean, the salary cap is, you know, it does exist. It didn't exist back then, but still it's it's still kind of kind of a you know, a pseudo salary cap. It's not what it was before. I mean, I do think that there's room to handle such things. You can renegotiate with guys, but yeah, you're not going to add like six guys all at once.
Speaker 2: It was nice when they were able to, though.
Speaker 1: The forty nine ers back then had a like the eighties and nineties forty nine ers, and you look at those teams when they were in that contending window, they literally had a backup team that could have started at most positions around the NFL. That's why when Joe Montana went down, Steve Young was ready to ignite one of the great quarterback controversies in the history of the NFL. Things like that, it was just absolutely ridiculous, and you had, you know, even in the nineties, Tarrell Owens suddenly turned into and this was after the cap, but yeah, Jerry Rice. But then you had Tarall Owens breaking Jerry's records on game days for most catches receptions in a game.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember we did that at Candlestick Park, and it was like, what's going on at the forty nine ers just go from one Hall of Fame quarterback to another, and then one Hall of Fame wide receiver to do another, Like it doesn't usually work like that for teams. But again, this is back to that point of them, like you alluded to that deal with the devil they made that has kept them essentially.
Speaker 2: In contention for forty years.
Speaker 1: What about brock Perdy, You know, I think that one of the stories that's been overlooked is that everyone's saying he's looked really good at camp, but that's not what everyone's talking about. They're talking about the next man up on the injury list.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing about Brock perty that in my issue with Rock is I do think that he's one of the better quarterbacks, and only I think that you just look at the statistics and that's undeniable. Guy gets dinged up a little bit, and he's had multiple arm injuries, so it seems like the arm injuries have not been sort of permanent where and I don't think he's really a guy who his arm strength was his number one characteristic anyways. But you know, he's a guy who plays really well in Shanahan's system and also has some sort of daring do to make some crazy plays from time to time. He's pretty fearless, and I think that really does help sometimes the guys in this offense. Every once in a while, you have to take a chance and he does that, but you know, can can he stay healthy for an entire season? I mean last year he was hurt in Week one. Luckily for them, mac Jones was able to take the ball and actually played pretty darn well and keep him and that's the reason why, that's probably the main reason why with a pretty like whole ridden team, they were able to get to the playoffs and do what they did. Mac Jones apparently during training camp, has not looked quite as good this year. I'm not really sure how much that matters, but I think brock perty if you get to have a full healthy season and the run game really the offensive line can can withstand uh you know, whatever is going on at the left guard position, then I think that brockadab maybe his best year. I mean, who knows if. Now it's always the if, you know, if Mike Evans can play, you know, fourteen to fifteen games, if Debo you know, who's supposed to supposedly looks fit, and Trim can have at least like a Deebo light season, and Shawn Stribling is probably the main x factor of this season offensively. If he's as good as everyone's saying, then that's going to be great news for him. You know.
Speaker 1: We just have to see it on the field, mister Burman, I will let you go, but I appreciate your time as always, and we'll do it again soon.
Speaker 3: All right man, all right, thanks Ed.