Speaker 1: And we continue at two o five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Wags in Culver City.
Speaker 2: John, we get requests at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com, and I try to fulfill them whenever I can. During the commercial breaks, Brian listening online and Cedar Rapids. Iowa wants to know what it would sound like if the Daily Departed Queen Elizabeth could recite Katie Porter's latest drop, Why do you have to watch porn in the living room?
Speaker 1: Oh dear? Like that one could be directed at Andrew. I think you might be right.
Speaker 3: Why do you have to watch porn in the living room?
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is jellphone number one? Eight hundred two two two five two two two. Well, the bums lit another freeway on fire.
Speaker 2: This time it was the one ten Freeway near San Pedro. A pedestrian tunnel was lit on fire last night, shutting down the northbound and the southbound lanes overnight. For more on this, here's a report this morning from Fox eleven in Los Angeles, the breaking.
Speaker 4: News out of Wilmington to tell you about. Right now, firefighters are working to knock out a fire inside of a tunnel under the one ten freeway.
Speaker 2: Rachel Aragon Live with an update.
Speaker 3: Rachel, Hey, Bob, Jacob Marie.
Speaker 4: The biggest impact by far will be for commuters right here this morning in the sam Pedro Wilmington area. But take a look here.
Speaker 2: Commuters are screwed. Anyone getting on a cruise ship is screwed.
Speaker 1: Can't Trump come in and just put all of these encampments down, because if you think about it, that's the busiest port in the entire United States of America. All the cheap crap that comes in from China comes through that port. If we can't unload the containers from those ships and put them on trains and trucks and ship them to the rest of the country, no cheap crap for any of us. Can't They make the argument that Karen Bass not doing her job directly impacts interstate commerce and if you take down the freeway right next to the portal Los Angeles, you're in violation of the interstate commerce clause.
Speaker 4: Take a look here. Firefighter is still on scene this morning trying to make sure all flames are completely out, but there's been some challenges throughout this morning. We'll take a look here at some aerials from last night, shortly after the fire broke out, LAFD is, say a.
Speaker 5: Spokesperson, the crews responded.
Speaker 4: Around eight o'clock last night to the northbound freeway, where they found a remnants of a fire believed to have been started by people living in a homeless encampment.
Speaker 2: Of course, and they're not people living in a homeless encampment, they're bums. You know, this does make me remember, because it was almost three years ago, we still never caught that arsonist that melted the ten freeway.
Speaker 1: Did we No, we didn't, because my guess is we're not looking too hard because it was on tape.
Speaker 2: Kevin was so sure it was an arsonist. No arrest was ever made, and it was definitely not the homeless who were encamped under that freeway for years and years and years.
Speaker 4: Fire believed it been started by people living in a homeless encampment.
Speaker 2: Karen Bass is gonna have to update her new campaign ads when she talks about the percentage of homeless that she's decreased. We have two fewer freeways that we did when I started.
Speaker 3: Living in a homeless encampment.
Speaker 4: LAFD confirming this morning that the one ten is closed and will likely be closed throughout most of the day. Just you know that closure is on the one ten from Harry Bridges Boulevard through Channel Street.
Speaker 3: Now, while much of this is under control, cruiser.
Speaker 4: Are still trying to fully distinguished the flames, but there have been some challenges.
Speaker 2: How about that it took over nine hours to put out this fire.
Speaker 1: And are you sure the structural integrity of that freeway is fine after it has been lit on fire, because there's a lot of usage that goes on over there, with really heavy vehicles coming out of the Port of Los Angeles carrying all the stuff off the ships. In addition to that, we're a region with earthquakes. Are they sure that this freeway won't collapse. Oh, they're not sure at all.
Speaker 4: But there have been some challenges in this confined space. They say the large amount of material inside the tunnel and surrounding.
Speaker 1: Area has been an issue.
Speaker 4: A material inside they found also includes some wooden structures. Take a listen into what the fire department had to say.
Speaker 6: It's really just a fire that we have to be patient with. It's too dangerous to put firefighters in the tunnel you're going, you'd be going into an enviire where it's actually venting, so the conditions are.
Speaker 1: Just she would be like straight up back draft. Yeah. I don't know if I could go in there either.
Speaker 6: Smoke called banked all the way down to the ground. We believe that not only are the contents in there are burning, but heavy lumber that was used to form the tunnel is all still in there, and we believe that that material is burning as well.
Speaker 4: I'll about Kara live at this in you can see so many fire crews still out there trying to make sure it's completely out. The assistant chief on scene also told me they want to make sure it is safe enough for their men and women to tackle this blaze as well, that as of course a priority. I also want to mention that cal Tran's engineers are also on sin this morning assessing the structure integrity of the freeway. Of course, so, Bob Jen we know for a fact that until they deem it safe, they're not going to reopen it.
Speaker 1: But I also know this could be a disaster. Imagine if no one can get their stuff off of Amazon, because these idiots that can try the city won't boast up the encampments that they knew or fire risks.
Speaker 4: They're not going to reopen it. But I also know Stundel right now up there in skyplass this morning with even a better view of what's going on.
Speaker 7: Heystu, Hey, good morning, Rachel, good morning everybody. Yeah, that's what you've been talking about right there. Cal Trant's definitely out here. We got the orange van and those workers. We've been watching them as they've been checking stuff out. We haven't seen any fancy equipment.
Speaker 2: As an in typical child trans fashion. They've got about five guys inspecting the tunnel and about thirty guys watching those guys work.
Speaker 7: We haven't seen any fancy equipment as of yet, but they are definitely out there waiting for the fire department to be done with the fire portion of it so they can start checking that out. What's going on right now, Well, you said it, and it is so, it is definitely fact. They've got the northbound and the southbound One ten closed through the Wilmington area.
Speaker 8: They're ticketing.
Speaker 2: So under Karen Bess, we lost the ten freeway. Now we've lost the one ten freeway.
Speaker 1: How many more? And she regards her project Inside Safe as a smashing success.
Speaker 2: If you're feeling down, if you're feeling blue, let's get help for you.
Speaker 1: Kamala endorsed her. What was that about, Well, it's on brand, I can say that much. It's not a Namsey Pamsy thing. One train wreckondorsing another.
Speaker 2: So there you go, Johnny, yet another freeway melted under Karen Bass's watch.
Speaker 1: We also have an update on the most polluted river in the state of California, the Teawanna River.
Speaker 9: You can smell right here.
Speaker 2: Signatures are being collected for a ballot measure in San Diego County that could help out some of those residents. For more, here's NBC seven in San Diego.
Speaker 10: A group of San Diego's I've heard more than one hundred and fifty thousand signatures to get a new measure on the November ballot. The measure promise is a number of things for San Diegans, including fixes for the sewage crisis along our border. NBC sevens Joe Little explained.
Speaker 1: We have to do a ballot proposition for this. Okay, we can vote all we want, we can give as many tours as we want, unless and until the country of Mexico stops dumping raw sewage directly into the river. It's going to be polluted.
Speaker 10: NBC sevens Joe Little explains how much it would cost you and how you could benefit.
Speaker 8: Sandeaggans are frustrated by a lot of things, including the polluted Tewanna River down here along the border. This measure looks to alleviate some of those frustrations. The Teawanna River continues delivering millions of gallons of raw sewage from Mexico every.
Speaker 1: Day, just wave after wave of it. Does that make you want to go bodyboarding?
Speaker 3: You can smart right here.
Speaker 8: Destroying the environment, crushing businesses, and threatening the health for thousands of people thirty minutes up the road.
Speaker 11: Good morning.
Speaker 8: Another group of people discussed a broad new ballot measure that.
Speaker 12: Could help the San Diego County Health and Safety Act is an opportunity for San Diego.
Speaker 8: Corny Boltiski is with Children's First San Diego. She joined firefighters, scientists, union leaders, and activists outside the Registrar Voters Monday to discuss the measure, promising to protect healthcare, pushing for affordable childcare, preventing wildfire.
Speaker 2: Wait, what does the childcare have to do? With the stinky river. Now, this is what they do.
Speaker 1: It's like what Biden did with the quote unquote infrastructure bill. They wanted to make childcare part of the infrastructure bill. Well, guess what childcare isn't something that bums can light on fire. The stuff that bums can light on fire, that's infrastructure.
Speaker 8: Pushing for affordable childcare, preventing wildfires, and stopping the sewage.
Speaker 1: That would be the most important part of it. So they're just going to raise taxes because everyone understands that that river is a disaster and the money is not going to go to clean up the river.
Speaker 13: Everything in this measure comes down to the health and safety of folks in San Diego County.
Speaker 8: The group delivered more than one hundred and fifty thousand signatures to qualify the measure for the nov and.
Speaker 2: I'm sure many of them were going outside of the routs of the safeway and they heard sign this to clean up the Tijuana River and didn't realize that there's all kinds of other stuff in there.
Speaker 1: And then they wonder why we don't believe them on anything, because from the outset, this is a scam.
Speaker 8: Thousand signatures to qualify the measure for the November ballot, while Tiske says it would give San Diego's a way to pay for things that federal government is either cutting or not funding at all.
Speaker 14: So it is a half cent sales tax across here we go.
Speaker 1: They just never stop, do they.
Speaker 2: They found a way to get a sales tax initiative and people would be behind it because they said it was to clean up the damn river.
Speaker 15: Sales tax across the County of San Diego.
Speaker 8: She says, some of the half sent sales tax proceeds could be used to maintain the South Bay International Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Speaker 1: Or could be.
Speaker 8: Or even used to divert the river altogether.
Speaker 10: This would be the first sustainable fund for this and apparently many more things at the.
Speaker 2: Same Yeah, can we build a little canal so everything that goes out of that treatment plant goes right back into Mexico.
Speaker 1: That would be fantastic. Give them a little taste of their own medicine.
Speaker 11: This would be the first sustainable fund for this and apparently many more things.
Speaker 8: If the San Diego Help and Safety Act makes the ballot and voters decide it's worth it.
Speaker 11: In this dynamic, everybody pays a little, and San Diego wins.
Speaker 1: All that sewage.
Speaker 2: This is audio and I'm shuddering when I hear that sound.
Speaker 1: Everyone pays a little and San Diego gains a lot. What a lie?
Speaker 8: Do you want? A river valley? Joe Little, NBC seven.
Speaker 10: If the measure is eventually approved by voters, organizers say a local committee would determine how the money is eventually spent in San Diego County.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something tells me none of that money is actually going towards cleaning up the river.
Speaker 1: Nope, there's going to be no change in scent Imperial Beach.
Speaker 9: You can smell it right here.
Speaker 1: And Randy, we have an update on all of the suspicions out there that State Farm and other insurance companies weren't abiding by the language in the contracts that they had with homeowners when homes burned down in fires.
Speaker 2: It sure seems like they could have wrapped up this investigation over a year ago. But the Department of Insurance, I'm very kind of sketch, has alleged that State Farm has broken the law by denying and slow walking claims of the Pacific Palisades and the Alta Dina area, and they could be fined as much as four million dollars. Oh, come on, and they could be banned from writing new policies for a year, which they're already not doing.
Speaker 1: Wait, you're just giving them what they want.
Speaker 2: Yes, for more, here's ABC seven Eyewitness News.
Speaker 13: An insurance giant State Farm may temporarily lose their California license after an investigation foundly broke the law on claims from the twenty twenty five LA wildfires.
Speaker 2: If those are the punishments that you have for screwing over fire victims, prop One O three don't gar far enough.
Speaker 6: The investigative reporter from Wyewitness News, Kevin Ozebek, joining US now with what one eaten fire victim and State Farm had to say in response to these allegations.
Speaker 16: Kevin well Mark and Michelle those who track California's insurance market are calling this an absolute bombshell. If the California Department of Insurance gets its way, State Farm will be shelling out millions of dollars in penalties.
Speaker 1: And if it was a literal bombshell, State Farm wouldn't cover it. Okay, but think about this for a minute. If you were on the hook for literally billions of dollars and you just say no to everyone, and the fine is that kind of slap on the wrist. It's totally worth it.
Speaker 2: It's like in LA and in Oakland, where the fine for getting caught illegal dumping is cheaper than going to the dump.
Speaker 17: It's really hard being back here, you know, even more than a year later, well past three year later.
Speaker 5: And that's because Jesse Albert's lot has been remediated, but that's it. Construction on his neighbor's home is well underway. But Jesse is in a standoff with State Farm, who he sued after the fire, claiming the company deliberately under insured him.
Speaker 1: Many of us have lodge complaints with a Department of Insurance and felt unheard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the insurance department wasn't even returning most of those calls.
Speaker 1: Gee, I wonder why.
Speaker 5: But Jesse says now he does feel heard. The California Department of Insurance says its investigation is State Farm shows the company did not adequately investigate all claims.
Speaker 1: We could have told you that a year ago. I love that this is some kind of revelation to them.
Speaker 5: The state also Legistate Farm underpaid some claims and misclassified testing costs connected to smoke and ash for mediation.
Speaker 1: I would say that this is a good first step.
Speaker 5: But State Farm is firing back at the State saying, we reject any suggestion State Farm engaged in a general practice of mishandling or intentionally underpaying wild fire claims.
Speaker 1: That's your whole business model. This is so stupid. Then we have contracts, contracts, that's like English law. It goes all the way back to then probably goes back to the Bible. You're supposed to abide by what's in the contract, and the government is here to make sure that parties do that. And when parties don't do that, especially in a heavily regulated worldlike insurance, the government's supposed to come down on them like a ton of bricks. We're not asking for anything special. What these people are asking for is for State Farm to pay what they're obligating to pay in the contract. And the insurance companies are just saying no, and the State's not forcing them to do it.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 2: Instead, the state is going to slap them on the wrist with a teeny tiny little fine. And we for a company as big as State Farm, four million dollars is nothing.
Speaker 5: And we will respond through the process. Wildfire survivors deserve real solutions, not a distorted picture of State Farm's response. State Farm also is accusing the Department of Insurance of adding.
Speaker 2: Their pr people must be paid really, really, really well. Because it is hard to say that stuff without cracking up.
Speaker 1: They do it.
Speaker 5: State Farm also is accusing the Department of Insurance of adding uncertainty into California's dysfunctional insurance market.
Speaker 2: Oh that's rich, coming from the company that colluded with Ricardo Laura to get every single thing that they wanted and incentivized them to drop people. If I am this is the illusion of regulation.
Speaker 17: If I am a State Farm policyholder not impacted by these fires, do I need to be worried that this maybe increases the likelihood of State Farm pulling out of business in the state.
Speaker 18: It certainly could happen, But they have a lot invested here. I mean, they ensure one out of every five homes, so this is a big market for them.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 18: I think the message is to State Farm, taking shortcuts on claims is not the way to make up for the fact that you have not been allowed to charge what you think you should be charging.
Speaker 16: This CDI investigation will eventually be laid out in a public hearing before an administrative law judge. On top of pushing for these huge financial finds, the CDI could also push to have State Farm's ability to write new policies in California temporarily suspended.
Speaker 2: They're already not writing new policies, and that's after Ricardo Laura gave them everything they ever asked for and more.
Speaker 1: And his whole claim is that he's doing everything he can to bring these companies back.
Speaker 16: Governor Gavin Newsom said today that this should be a warning to all insurance companies not to wrongfully delay or deny any claims. Live in the studio Kevin nos Back ABC seven Eye Witness News.
Speaker 2: This is Laura and Newsome in the entire Department of Surreance. That making it look like they're doing something about this, but they're not.
Speaker 1: And neew some benefits from the fact that all he talks about is Trump and all he talks about is ice and federal issues, because if he was in California and he was talking about California issues, he would have to answer these questions as to why the State of California is not requiring these companies to fulfill their obligations they agreed to in the contract with these homeowners whose homes went down in a fire that was caused, by the way, by a nut who apparently looked up to Luigi Mangioni and he thought he was going to be accepted as some kind of left wing hero. Well, the other one was so cal Edison. That's true. We have to differentiate the two fires. Altadena Edison, Pacific Palisades. Uber driver with Trump arrangement syndrome eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do sell at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't like show at email dot com and Randy with the end of the show quickly approaching, if you want to continue listening to us after we sign off for three, that's easy to do.
Speaker 2: All you got to do is search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts, and that could be the Apple podcast app, iHeart Spotify, search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe. You could download all of the episodes you could do a Google on the YouTube. You can get the free at KABC app. You can get the free at KSFO app. You can get the KMJ now app and listen to us Saturdays at noon on the Big KMJ and Fresno so many different ways and live to what we're doing every single day from noon to three wherever you are, and you can download all of the podcasts keep them forever. Listen to the podcast while you're doing whatever you're doing in the middle of the day or at night, even in a living room.
Speaker 3: Why do you have to watch porn in the living room?
Speaker 1: Here with an update on naked Man, mister Randy Wang.
Speaker 2: Naked Man's story in Resita has been getting a lot of people's attention, which is interesting because the residents have been complaining about naked Man for over three years. They have made over one hundred calls to LAPD and to La City councilwoman and mayoral candidate Nythia Ramen. But Nythia Ramen tells NBCLA, this is the first she's ever heard about naked Man, and she's gonna look into naked Man and figure out what she can do about naked Man.
Speaker 1: Is sheathological liar or stupid.
Speaker 2: Great question. For more, here's NBCLA now at eleven.
Speaker 15: It's not a site you'd expect to see next door. One man often maked and exposing himself from his home in the valley.
Speaker 1: How many times did residents say they called? Nine to one to one over a hundred and the council from that district claims she's never heard of this before.
Speaker 15: Yep, tonight we're hearing from neighbors who say it goes far beyond just unwanted nudity. Those neighbors say their calls for help are going unanswered, good evening, everything.
Speaker 2: This is why we've said it before and we will say it again. If the city is not responding to you, you have to embarrass them on the local news. And this is an easy one. As soon as somebody finally called the local news, we've had cameras from every single station covering naked man.
Speaker 1: By the way, that shows you how bad she is at her job, because it's a sign of respect to go through the chain of command. Whenever people go outside the chain of command, you're not being a nice person to the organization. But if the organization refuses to act when you do the right thing, then you have to go outside the chain of command. You have to go to the local news because it's the only way you're going to get any kind of action at all.
Speaker 15: Good evening, everyone, I'm Caroline Johnson. That neighborhood in Rosita is where NBC four Starshah Phillips is tonight.
Speaker 1: It's been a really great couple of months of the valley. Huh boy, just every day it's a new humdinger.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna download Zilla during the break. It's time to get out.
Speaker 13: People who live here on Guarding Grove Avenue in Rosita say they've been terrorized by their neighbor for years, calling his behavior vile, violent and threatening, and say calls to the point and none.
Speaker 1: Of that's illegal, I guess.
Speaker 13: Not in the valley, and say calls to the police and the city have gone nowhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I keep bitty over and you've cut down.
Speaker 1: Whoa this guy sounds like a real peach.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I keep being over.
Speaker 5: And you've cut down.
Speaker 1: You ain't footing nobody?
Speaker 3: Rants?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Yeah, imagine living next to that.
Speaker 3: Rants, taunts, threats.
Speaker 19: Come on, come on, somebody.
Speaker 2: And somebody knows that nothing can happen to him.
Speaker 1: It's almost as if they're emboldened.
Speaker 13: And plain lude and violent behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a madman. We allow this. This guy belongs in an institution. People who live on Garden Grove if we can't take care of this, well, I guess it makes sense how the city became the way it did.
Speaker 1: Well. This just goes to show you how important it is to get Spencer Pratt into the runoff. Because Karen Bass is the mayor that is responsible for this, and Nitthia Rahman is the council member of this district who's responsible for this. We can't have a choice between two bad actors. We need to have a real choice and have a fresh voice, a new voice on that stage in November.
Speaker 13: People who live on Garden Grove Avenue in Resita and surrounding stret.
Speaker 2: You must love that they keep referring to this street as Garden Grove Avenue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 13: People who live on Garden Grove Avenue in Resita and surrounding streets say they hear and see this from the neighbor several times a week, and it's been going on for years.
Speaker 3: I hear him sometimes at two in the morning, three in the morning, and it just doesn't stop.
Speaker 13: People we spoke to say they feel terrorized, even too afraid to show their faces on camera.
Speaker 3: It's like it feels scary when he's looking at you and saying he says you're all gonna die. He says you're evil.
Speaker 2: Neighbors just like to point out in case people forget recent history. When La County elected George Gascon to be the DA, we.
Speaker 1: Got some Bolanese allies.
Speaker 2: He put out a series of mandates that included several categories of misdemeanors. He would refuse to file, one of them, making criminal threats.
Speaker 1: The whole point of George Gascon in company was to allow people like this to continue doing what they're doing. Didn't want to criminalize this behavior.
Speaker 3: He says you're all gonna die. He says you're evil.
Speaker 12: Neighbors say he often is completely nude. Well, what about when it gets cold, exposing himself to people from an open window. One woman told us her seven year old granddaughter will no longer visit because of this neighbor.
Speaker 9: She was out there playing when he started to scream vulgar words, and so she won't come. She doesn't want to come.
Speaker 2: Well, the seven year old didn't say that. Your daughter said, unless you move to Orange County, we're never visiting you again.
Speaker 1: I think you just hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 13: Neighbors shared these pictures with this of his backyard and says he rents out these sheds to transience.
Speaker 1: So he's a hobo, slumlord, naked man. It's not just that he gets to act crazy and the streets naked in this neighborhood. He's importing more crazy into the backyard. People were emailing us yesterday. How does this guy make a living?
Speaker 2: He's renting out sheds on his property to the bumbs.
Speaker 1: He's more of a slub lord than Donald sterling.
Speaker 13: Yard and says he rents out these sheds to transience, and says he has no power in the home and lights fires inside at night.
Speaker 1: There's no fire danger in southern California, is there. I love the fact that we're an extreme fire risk all the time now, and we just allow encampments to light freeways on fire, and we allow nuts like this to light his house on fire anytime he wants to warm up.
Speaker 2: Look, this is private property. Although I can't imagine this guy pays his property taxes. But I don't think it's legal for you to just start a straight up fire, even on your own property. And would you really want to start a fire when naked. I think something got singed off.
Speaker 20: Maybe if something needs to be done, it definitely has to come to And.
Speaker 13: Then neighbors are fed up saying they're held hostage in their own homes.
Speaker 3: I don't even want to take my trash out.
Speaker 1: What do you think it's like if you're trying to sell a house. Oh, I'm sure the realtors have a real fun time moving property in that neighborhood. You know, there's a lot of those companies out there that will you know, they advertise that they buy your home, no question to ask. I wonder how many people approach those companies because they live in a neighborhood with a total psychopath and they know they would never get through an open house.
Speaker 3: I don't even want to take my trash out.
Speaker 9: Sometimes make it more safe to walk with my grandson outside walk the dogs.
Speaker 2: Oh your grandson also, your kid said, we're never visiting you again.
Speaker 1: You have to visit us or you have to move.
Speaker 2: Santa Clarita is not that far and it's about the same amount of money.
Speaker 1: Grandma lives next to a nuthouse.
Speaker 13: People say there've been over one hundred and fifty calls to police over the years.
Speaker 2: That is an indictment of everybody in charge, and.
Speaker 1: The councilwoman claims she's never heard of it before.
Speaker 13: People say there've been over one hundred and fifty calls to police over the years and the city, but they've seen no action.
Speaker 20: Sh'd be able to open your door and not have to listen to the rantiness of a person who needs some serious psychological help.
Speaker 2: I'm done psychological help. That guy needs to be in prison one hundred percent.
Speaker 13: NBC four reached out to council member Nitia Rahman, who represents this district. She responded saying her office was just made aware of the situation.
Speaker 1: BS she's a liar.
Speaker 13: She responded saying her office was just made aware of the situation and that quote. We will be in contact with relevant city departments to ensure this matter receives the attention it warrants, and we will be reached. She's out to residents involved and working to identify the appropriate next steps.
Speaker 2: I would love if I had the time to do a public records request on the council district for office, and just see how many emails came to them about this situation, and they didn't do a damn thing until the news came a knocking.
Speaker 1: She is the absolute worst because she's smart, unlike the others, Unlike the other DSA members on that council. She knows better, or she should know better. But she's such an ideological extremist. She wants this kind of chaos in Los Angeles.
Speaker 13: And again, people who live here say that they have reached out to the councilwoman's office several times before, but now.
Speaker 2: So either of the constituents who have been suffering under the rule of naked Man for years are lying or Nithia is lying about not knowing about this.
Speaker 1: We have confirmation that she's a liar. Why is it that multiple members of the neighborhood would tell the same exact lie to the news media.
Speaker 13: And again, people who live here say that they have reached out to the councilwoman's office several times before, but now they are cautiously optimistic that something will finally be done in Risita. I'm darkshah Phillips NBC four News.
Speaker 2: There's your latest update on Naked Man and Do Nothing.
Speaker 1: Nia eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't Like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. And Randy, we have an update for you on the chaos that went on in Oakland at the First Friday celebration last week.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just a woman running over a bunch of people. It was a whole bunch of young people beating the crap out of each other. And apparently it is a regular occurrence. After First Fridays things get a little wild. For more, here is kpix in the Bay. Some folks, we had a listener email us, by the way, who has been to First Fridays and says, yeah, as soon as the event is over, that's when all the ref raft comes out.
Speaker 1: Uh oh.
Speaker 21: Some folks in Oakland are calling for an end to a popular street party over safety concerns. Video on social media shows a huge brawl breaking out downtown on Friday. Some neighbors claim late arriving crowds at First Fridays are creating chaos a Kenny CHOI spoke to organizers who have a different perspective on what's happening here.
Speaker 2: Sounds like such a fun festival, Oh yes, family friendly.
Speaker 22: To Video posted on social media shows a massive fight breaking out in downtown Oakland Friday night, with groups of young people brawling in front of the Fox Theater on Telegraph Avenue.
Speaker 1: Come to maybe they should just rename it from First Friday to Fists Friday.
Speaker 22: As police try to control the crowds.
Speaker 21: Between nine point thirty and ten o'clock on Friday night, police officers encountered a pretty chaotic scene in the downtown area.
Speaker 22: Another clip from that night was the chaos from inside of business people try to fight them stilling inside.
Speaker 2: There was fights breaking out inside businesses too, and this is what's going on here. Much like the street takeovers, this is a whole bunch of people organizing on social media to literally descend upon an event and beat the crap out of each other. In film it It's Fight Club. There was an estimated five hundred to two thousand people in the area, were several fights occurring simultaneously throughout the downtown.
Speaker 1: Area and doesn't Barbara Lee think this program is a smashing success.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly, particularly in between eighteenth Street and Telegraph.
Speaker 22: The posters saying First Friday events are drawing unruly crowds and need to be shut down, questioning why the event can't be held in a more controlled environment. But Vanessa McGee, the organizer of Oakland First Fridays, says her event is not in the downtown area and several blocks away in the Kono Koreatown Northgate district. She said their event is family friendly and runs between five and nine to thirty pm between twenty second and twenty seventh on Telegraph, bringing in a much older crowd hoping to support businesses, vendors and food trucks early.
Speaker 1: In the evening.
Speaker 2: Yes, but apparently because OPD has stretched so thin all the resources they have to dedicate to that they can't be dedicating to the riff raff.
Speaker 22: The problem is the young crowd that gather in the surrounding area as the event is ending and stay well into the night.
Speaker 2: John, what do you think the chances are the people that descend upon Oakland First Friday to engage in fistfights are the same kind of people that are really upset that Spirit Airlines went out of business.
Speaker 1: My guess is there's some overlap.
Speaker 3: We believe that.
Speaker 14: The city really needs to step up and figure out a way to create some type of programming or structure or a place for these kids to hang out and commune like in a positive way.
Speaker 1: No, isn't that what First Friday is.
Speaker 2: The answer is not, we need more after school programs and we need more youth programming.
Speaker 1: Stop it.
Speaker 2: It is a very small portion of the population that engages in this behavior, and.
Speaker 1: It happens at night. What are we supposed to do have arts and crafts classes at two in the morning, hang.
Speaker 14: Out and commune like in a positive way.
Speaker 11: I've seen social media pages where they're coming specifically to fight.
Speaker 2: So yeah, after school programs aren't going to stop. As long as there is a way to make money on this. On TikTok, they're going to do it.
Speaker 1: No, they're just going to do the graphics for the fight at the after school program.
Speaker 11: So that is a huge problem that we're trying to figure out how to address.
Speaker 22: Oakland City Council Member Carol Fife supports the First Friday event and says it's needed to boost local businesses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then how much money are we spending fixing all the other businesses that got destroyed during the aftermath. Do you think that this kind of attention helps to rehabilitate your reputation?
Speaker 22: Adding, there's a crowd control problem every Friday and the uptown and downtown Oakland areas.
Speaker 11: Essentially, what we have is a festival every Friday, not just First Friday, but every Friday in the uptown downtown area, and we've got to figure out how we create plans for crowd control.
Speaker 22: Small businesses on Telegraph in the Kono district have survived because of more foot traffic.
Speaker 19: You know, it brings more awareness to our business, more awareness to our location that we have. We get a lot of repeat customers because they actually just end up finding us here randomly walking through the street because they're on their way to First Friday.
Speaker 22: They say, the earlier evening crowds are older and out to support businesses. The challenge what happens once the sun goes down, when young crowds looking to start trouble shine a negative light on what's supposed to be a positive event for Oakland.
Speaker 2: There you go, that's why we can't have nice things, And when the sun goes down, that's when the carriage turns into a pumpkin.