Speaker 1: And we continue at what five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 2: John, while residents of Garden Grove are no longer under the imminent threat of a chemical plant explosion, that chemical plant is now cleaning the broken pipe, and apparently it is leading to the worst odor you can imagine wafting all through Orange County.
Speaker 3: You can smell right here.
Speaker 2: That sounds appetizing. What do you think that whole situation with the chemical plant is going to do to property values in Garden Grove? I don't know, but I'm glad I moved.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program is a Republican political strategist who you can follow on exit the Thomas Guide, John Thomas.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Hey, John Rich do ad.
Speaker 1: So let's go ahead and start out with the governor's race here in California. We still don't have an official call from the Secretary of State's office that the November ballot will feature Javier Bessera and Steve Hilton. But it's certainly looking that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure does I mean it isn't. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Tom Steyer does sneak into a top two, but probably not likely at this pace of the returns coming in. So this kind of landed John, you know when we spoke a couple of days ago, this landed pretty much right as we kind of suspected enough of the Republicans coalesced around Hilton to kind of make him him the top person, and Bessarah used the kind of last minute establishment play to kind of be the guy. And I guess it proves that money is important in politics, but not everything, because Tom Syre, now I think, has burnt up over half a billion dollars in his runs for office and has absolutely nothing to show forth.
Speaker 1: What do you make of Tom Steyers framing. He framed himself in this race as the billionaire communist, and he got a lot of the left wingers in the Democratic Party to get behind him. He got a lot of the left wing on x and all the social media platforms as San Piker and people like that. But what if instead of branding himself as the communist billionaire. He branded himself as a partisan Democrat who is a smart businessman and knows how to run the state more efficiently. Looking back at it, would that have been a better way to sell himself to voters.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting question. I'm not sure John, that any framing really would have saved him, because he's run The underlying political climate is so antithetical and against rich people, particularly billionaires, that no matter how he framed himself, it would probably be spun against him because his underlying core identity is out of step with the modern Democratic Party. He's a whiter than white guy. That kind of is not cool. And he's incredibly rich, and he made a lot of his money, you know, in fossil fuels and other things that are the complete opposite of what the Democratic Party likes to consider to be virtuous. So I hear you, John, If he had framed himself that way, I think they would have. The left would have pigeonholed him as a corporate raider, you know, just a big corporation guy. So he probably went where he thought would be the safest. But it just isn't believable. And a resident that he believed his real position there. So it didn't work and I'm not sure that voters really want a guy like Tom Steyron office.
Speaker 1: Was Katie Porter's campaign over the moment though that video came out of her swearing at a staffer.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent it was done. She just didn't realize it at that point. And the reason is that that video confirmed the suspicions that some of the electorate had about her, which is that she's not a nice person, and she's not she doesn't empathize with voters like us, and so it decuted her because it shined a light on her underlying weakness. It just exposed it, and there really was no recovery because John she's not a nice person. She doesn't come off in interviews as nice. In fact, she kind of leaned into that persona when she was a member of Congress, with her persona in Congress that she wags her finger at you. So she was kind of damned once that video came out. It just I think she was the last person to realize that.
Speaker 1: Why didn't she just lean into it? Because I think that Democrats respond well to Karen's and she is probably the chief Karen in California politics. Instead of trying to pretend like you're the homemaker that's baking cookies for your kids and their friends, which no one ever bought into with her, why not just say, yeah, I'm a nasty woman, and I'm going to go be nasty to all the people that you hate, and I'm going to make life miserable for them, and that's just who I am, and I'm going to kick ass and take names.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what she should have done, for sure. First of all, it would have been incredible, believable and authentic. But also, you know, Donald Trump did something similar. You may recall him sixteen when people said he's not a nice guy, he's a bully, and he basically said, yeah, I'm a bully, but I'm not a schoolyard bully. I'm a bully for you. And that really stuck because the electorate wanted somebody who's going to you know, stick it to China, et cetera. And that worked and we believed it. When Katie was running saying I'm a nice person, it just didn't make any sense because everybody knew that to be untrue, so it ended up becoming disingenuous. I think the real root of it with Katie is she doesn't want to think of herself as not a nice person, so even though she isn't nice, so she couldn't lean into that too deeply because it would probably undermine how she views herself.
Speaker 1: Is that common in politics when you've worked for people in the past, and I'm not going to ask for any names who are not nice? People who are empirically not nice people? Do they know it? Are they aware of it? Or do they think that they're nice? And it's the rest of the world with the problem.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent of the time they think it's everybody else and they're the nice, nice people. And sometimes you got to crack a few eggs and make an omelet you know, that's how they But usually it's pointing fingers that you know, Oh, it's the staffer who's the idiot. It's it's always somebody else's fault. So, yes, they're one hundred percent in denial and it and it running for office kind of attracts that persona John of like the egotistical persona. So it's a really nice safe haven because when you do get elected, typically you have nothing but yes people around you, So it kind of reinforces that you're the good one everybody else is in.
Speaker 1: Matt Mayhon is a candidate who had all the money in the world. He had profile pieces written about him in all the big newspapers. There was a lot of fanfare with his campaign. The tech industry wanted him to be governor in the worst possible way. The tech industry, as we know, really got kicked in the teeth all over the ballot earlier this week, not just with Matt Mayhon, but there is a vote and I think it was Monterey Park to ban data centers and other interests that they had on the ballot did not do well. Do you think that association with him was poison and more poison than he ever imagined it would be.
Speaker 4: Think, yeah, I think it was a one two punched on. On the one hand, he positioned himself out of the gate incorrectly, which is that he's a moderate Democrat, and moderate politics just simply doesn't sell in a state as blue as California, So that was a disqualifier. In the second is, yeah, he wrapped himself around these people, these backers that are largely deeply unpopular right now in the tech sector. I mean almost universally, from Republicans, the Democrats, Independence, young people to old people, they're all they are all deeply wary for their own reasons of tech leaders. And so yeah, it just it was doomed. And you saw John Matt Mayheon kind of toward the tail end in his advertising. He started to do like a subtle pivot to leaning into him being a Democrat by using the word Democrat and his ads on screen and whatnot. But it just it wasn't voters were believing.
Speaker 1: Do you think Kamala Harris, who everyone thought was going to run and run away with this office and people wouldn't be paying much attention to this election because she'd come into it with almost universal name id, a fundraising list that could get her all the money that she needed to mount a very serious campaign. Do you think she's looking at this and thinking to herself, I made a mistake. I should have run, or oh boy, I'm glad I didn't put myself through that gauntlet of abuse.
Speaker 4: You know, I know the type. And I think she's segmenting it in two ways. If I had to bet, one is she says I could have had it. If I wanted, I would have walked in and had it, so she probably believed that to be true. But I think the real core reason she didn't run was not because she didn't think she couldn't win. It's because she didn't want the job. Because being a governor in the state of California is a lot of work. There's a lot of pressure, particularly the really disaster management, and that's Kamala is not up to that job, and I think she knows it. So I really don't think she wanted the job, because if she did, John, you got to think that she would have thrown her hat the ring.
Speaker 1: Steve Hilton is now trying to do something that no Republican has done since Arnold Swarzenegger did it when he ran for re election in two thousand and six. If he were to call you up and say, John, I need your advice, what should I do?
Speaker 2: How should I run this race? What would you tell him?
Speaker 4: Well, first, assuming the numbers hold and he comes in the first first place, I think I would try to milk that. You know, for as much as as it's worth. Is that out of all those choices for governor, you know, Steve was the number one choice. Secondly, you've got to spend time in areas of the state and media outlets that you're uncomfortable with because you're going to have to talk to voters who normally wouldn't be part of the traditional Republican coalition. And so, but before you go, and Steve is obviously a pro, he's very articulate, he's really good in interviews. He does a great job on your show and others. But he's got to come armed with third party validators that different segments that are not Republican of the elector in California. Trust. So the very first thing, quietly he has to do is start racking up endorsements. I would try to go get the Matt and Mahan's. I would try to score a Democrat that nobody thinks Steve has any business getting, you know, I mean, heck, it could be a Katie Porter or something along those lines. And then getting the Chambers, law Enforcement, etc. And he's got to go door to door in those communities, particularly with Latinos, and make the.
Speaker 1: Case what do you think we can learn out of this race for the upcoming presidential primaries. As Democratic candidates are watching the results, they're watching how these candidates did, which ones performed well? Which ones didn't same thing with the Republicans. What do you think we've learned about the twenty twenty eight primaries.
Speaker 4: Well, one is money is important, but it's not everything. That's clear. Second is you both have to have a message. On the Democratic side, and this has been consistent I think for a few cycles, Democrats value identity more than they do message and policy. So the marriage is important of those two things. But you know, if you're Gavin Nussom, you have to be looking at this thing going, oh, man, I'm a white guy. Not much I can do about that. So he's going to start out at a little bit of a deficit there. So I have to imagine, you know, as you go into the presidential cycle, you're going to you see a lot of minorities on the Democratic side running. Republicans seem to make their choice based more upon merit and qualifications. On a messaging standpoint, I think we have to basically look at the Republicans kind of seem to come home to the favorite. I know, John, you were kind of mixed on, you know, which Republican is the right, But it looks like Steve kind of was always always the guy. And then and then The other John is we've got to be disciplined on message. Domestic issues are the big issues. I think we really as Republicans have to be careful not to stray away and talk about foreign policy. They have to talk about domestic things like jobs, et cetera. And then the last thing John is we can't ignore the populist wave against AI. That is a big sensitivity issue and it also wraps around in affordability and energy issue. Those are issues that our team's going to have to speak to to try to ride that populist wave as we go into the midterms.
Speaker 1: Let's shift gears here and talk about the LA mayor's race. Right now, we have Karen Bass and for Spencer Pratt and second Nitya Rahman in third. Spencer's about seven points ahead of her. Last time I checked, the betting markets, which had Spencer as a huge favorite to make the runoff, have turned on him, and boy.
Speaker 2: Did they turn with a vengeance.
Speaker 1: They now have him at a one to three chance at making the runoff and people are laying money down on Mitthia Rahman leapfrogging him to the November ballot. Who do you think is going to be on that November ballot, once all the ballots are counted.
Speaker 4: Now, this is a really fascinating question. I've spent some time looking at the numbers to try to make heads or tails here, and I can tell you I'm not one hundred percent certain of who of which one is going to make that second position slot. But I can tell you how I think you should analyze it. In the comparison. You may remember John that when Rick Caruso ran against Karen Bass that on election night, I believe Rick Caruso is running ahead of Bass, but then over time as more ballots came in, bass overtook Caruso. And I think that's what the betting markets are kind of looking at that from behind acrat ballots to carry a Ramen over a Pratt. Except it's not really an even one for one comparison here because back when Bass was running, she was the only prominent Democrat, So almost a vast majority of late ballots that were Democratic, we're going to go to Bass and not and not Caruso. Whereas in this case you have Bass, who's a prominent Democrat, maybe not a hard left winger, but she is a Democrat who's taking some of those Democratic lad votes, so it's not a kind of a one for one for Ramen like bass enjoyed in the last round. So here's what I'm thinking right now. As the ballots updates have been coming in, Ramen has been picking up speed disproportionately to Pratt, except she has been winning on average when the ballots tranches have come in. Ramen's been picking up about eleven percent over Pratt. By my calculus, she needs to get a out fourteen to sixteen percent per dump of votes ahead to catch up. So if the current trend continues, I think she'll come up about two thousand votes shy of Pratt staying in the third place. But here's the wildcard, John. This is why can't take a position. It depends where these ballots are coming from. If these ballots these drop, the ballots are going to be coming from Democratic strongholds where they're just tons of Democrats. There probably are enough in those piles to allow a Ramen maybe to get a twenty percent ahead a thirty percent on a batch approach, which could change the calculus. But as it stands today, if the returns are steady, it will tighten. But I think Ramen comes up slightly short, So it's a long winded answer.
Speaker 1: We'll see And I can only imagine what it's like if you work in this business as a strategistic you have skin in the game with one of these campaigns. But as someone who covers this for a living, I cannot believe that we put up with this. I cannot believe that we allow them to take this long to count the ballots and we don't have an answer on election night. They could do it in a couple hours in Brazil, they could do it in India, they can do it in these third world countries all over the globe. We are the home to Silicon Valley and it takes a month and a half for us to count the ballots.
Speaker 2: It's disgraceful.
Speaker 4: Well one hundred percent, And don't even wind me up about not having voter ID because what happens, John, Let's just hypothetically say that I that it gets down in the for a second place finish and this mayor's race down to five hundred votes, which I mean it could very well could. Well, then how do we know that those five hundred voters were actual voters? We don't really know that. So my pro tip both to the Roman campaign, but also to the Pratt campaign. Is right now, if you were Spencer Pratt, you need to be lawyering up and getting ballot watchers because if this thing comes down and you lose, flip into third place by a few hundred votes or even a thousand votes, you need to go through those ballots and inspect them and try to ensure that ballots with improper signatures, et cetera disqualify because if you were shy just a few hundred votes, John, I've flipped plenty elections in places like Orange County and others in local elections by dqing bad ballots. So, but there's a tight window of time to do that, and if you don't have the team and infrastructure in place, you miss the window and you can't go back and undo it.
Speaker 1: Last question before you go, I would imagine that some of these late ballots that are coming in they're provisional ballots. They are ballots that were dumped at the very last minute. Who which organization is best at getting those in right under the wire? Is it the DSA or is it the Democratic Party? Because if it's the DSA, those are going to be Roman ballots. If it's the Democratic Party. They're going to be bast ballots.
Speaker 4: It's a great question, and it's one hundred percent of DSA. And we know that because we see it all the time in La City contest. This is how a lot of the DSA candidates have bested the more establishment union backed Democrats. We've seen it time and time again. They are better organizers, they're better ballot harvesters. So, yes, you're exactly right, it would favor Ramen. And I have to think that there are probably some heavy tranches of Democratic ballots just proportionally that'll be released and that'll favor Ramen. But she has to have that happen a few extra times. So look, if there were ever a scenario, John, where a third place candidate could sneak into second, Ramen has all the special ingredients right now to sneak into a second place.
Speaker 1: All right, John Thomas, Republican political strategist. You can follow him on exit the Thomas Guide. John, thanks so much for stopping by. Thanks again, John, eight hundred two two two five two two. Who ease the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two If you'd like to email the show you can do so at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com and Randy, we've officially crossed the halfway point of today's show. If you want to continue listening to us after we sign off with three, that's easy to do.
Speaker 2: All you gotta do is search for The John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcast that could be on the Apple Podcasts app. I think a third of our audience uses it. That's what I use. You can use iHeartRadio, nothing wrong with that. Spotify, not that many people actually use it for this show, but if that's what your thing is, use it. Search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe, and the episodes download automatically and it doesn't really even matter if you hit play on them. It's a weird world. If you also want to do what everyone's doing nowadays, Google on YouTube. YouTube is becoming the platform for everything, and all of our podcast automatically upload to the Cumulus News Talk channel and we're like the most popular show on there. So subscribe to YouTube dot com, slash at Cumulus News Talk and hit like and click on all of our episodes. Because you know, make us look good in the company. Get a town hall with the CEO coming up this week. Search for the John Phillips Show. Wherever you get your podcasts, And the great thing about the podcast is you can enjoy them wherever you are. You can enjoy them. Whether you are exercising, you can enjoy them, whether you are doing a meeting and you have it out in the background. You can even listen to our podcast while you're writing our wonderful metro system. I'm Tom Steyer.
Speaker 5: Kind of about to ride the team.
Speaker 2: You can also listen while doing that, firing it in there. Huh.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, what do you say we make a couple of listeners very happy.
Speaker 2: Well, let's do that right now. Seven ninety KABC welcomes the Head and the Heart at the Pacific Amphitheater at the OC Fair on August fourteenth. Tickets are on sale now at pacamp dot com. Right now. Coller number nine at one eight eight eight seven ninety five two two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. All concert tickets included mission to the OC Fair. Tickets furnished by the Pacific Amphitheater. Good Luck Dialing.
Speaker 1: Well one of the threats that the Democrats faced in this last election was that they would get locked off the November ballot in the governor's race. That was something that the Democratic Party certainly took very seriously and they avoided that from happening. We don't know which candidates will make the November ballot quite yet. It's looking like Steve Hilton and Javier Basera, but it won't be Steve Hilton and Chad Bianco. To Republicans, however, it looks like there will be at least one lockout on the ballot in November in a statewide election.
Speaker 2: The race for California Insurance Commissioner. And let me go ahead and pull up the latest numbers on this because it's being updated like everything else. Let's go to California state wides. Let's go to insurance commissioner. Currently advancing to the general with twenty three percent support is Jane Kim, the San Francisco supervisor who is running on a single payer style system for homeowners' insurance. She is the winner. In second place, it's State Senator Ben Allen, who is the state center of the Palisades area. He's at nineteen percent and behind him is the Republican candidate on Steve Hilton's ticket, Stacy Corse Garden. She's at seventeen percent, So it is very much looking at least right now, if these numbers hold, then and it is going to be a dem on dem race for insurance commissioner.
Speaker 1: Now here's an interesting question, and this, I guess is more of a process question than anything. I know that the insurance commissioner is duly elected, cannot be fired by the governor, cannot be appointed by the governor. Only the people can elect an insurance commissioner or vote them out. If this Jane kimwoman ends up winning and she ran on the platform of some socialist version of insurance and she wants to get rid of private insurance, I don't think she can do that from that office alone. I think that she would have to get the legislature to vote on that and the governor to sign it.
Speaker 2: Correct, as far as I know, you don't have the power in that office to just create a public insurance system. Maybe you do, but it would seem that you would need legislation to go for that. But what this is show is there is at least twenty five percent support from the electorate four, and I would argue the reason for that is because people are really pissed off at our insurance companies, and our current insurance commissioner, to basing, is rarely comfortable you.
Speaker 1: And if you're wondering why Ricardo Laura's name wasn't on your ballot this time around, he has served two terms inexplicably as insurance commissioner, and he's termed out.
Speaker 2: I'm very kind of sketch. And you noticed that, uh heh didn't running for anything else.
Speaker 1: No, a guy who has spent his entire life in elected office did not lose an election, just got turned out from an office, which usually means they find something else to run for. He didn't run for lieutenant governor. He didn't run for county supervisor, he didn't run for Congress. He's done as far as we know, because his reputation is so awful.
Speaker 2: Of course, if you hear his side of the story, he claims that he can't run for anything else because he did the hard work of fixing our broken insurance system.
Speaker 6: I may be criticized and dragged through the mud for it and get my wig snatched. As the gay.
Speaker 2: Guys say, oh yeah, He really did a solid for the people, didn't he. You know, now that we're in Pride month, how many DJ Kitty Glitter concerts is he going to go to? Oh as a lame duck in the final year, I would be surprised if she showed up to the office once. Well, let's hear a breakdown on who is running for Insurance Commissioner and what this runoff might look like. Here is NBCLA.
Speaker 5: Returning now to our Decision twenty twenty six coverage and a look at some results still coming in there. Ellie County sheriff looking to keep his post. Right now, he has opened up a sizeable lead over former sheriff Alex Bianuiba. However, Luna must win more than half of the vote to avoid a runoff. If he falls short here, the two could face off again in November.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely going to happen. Yeah, he was in what the thirties or forties and Luna is not getting in up to fifty percent. That's just not happened. Maybe it will, but right now it looks like it's going to be a run up. Now, can Vienna Wava win? Who knows?
Speaker 6: Also a very important race with a widespread impact on California. Who will be the next insurance commissioner. Two Democrats lead the race here, former San Francisco Supervisor Jane Kim and Santa Monica State Senator Ben Allen, who is about to be termed out.
Speaker 7: All right, in our.
Speaker 2: Kathy musical chairs moves again.
Speaker 5: All right, and in our Kathy Vara has been following this race closely. She will join us later on to discuss this more.
Speaker 2: But yeah, someone just screamed in an air We don't have Kathy go to Conan.
Speaker 7: To discuss this more.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean a lot of people are interested to hear about the insurance commissioner.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a one complaint we've had. We're going to bring Conan back in one complaint we've had in terms of the fires, people underinsured, people not having I.
Speaker 2: Mean, there's few complaints, but that's a big one.
Speaker 6: Insurance companies step up. People having their policies canceled either just before or right after the fires. Insurance is a big problem in the state.
Speaker 7: You nail it, That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: This is a I don't know if Colleen nailed it. She got warm. Let's just say that.
Speaker 7: You nailed it. That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: This is a this is a low down ballot race. A lot of people don't care about and tell Palisades and eaton. And now all of a sudden, this is huge news because it's not just about those neighborhoods, those communities, massive communities.
Speaker 2: And you could definitely say, well, yeah, obviously, you know the insurance company, the insurance commissioner is responsible for some of this disaster because it was the conditions in California that led to all these companies pulling out. But I'm telling you right now, the people that probably voted for Jane Kim that want to really stick it to State Farm are the ones who are still waiting for their claims to be settled. A year and a half later.
Speaker 1: Nothing is working on any level regarding insurance in the state of California right now. And I know that people don't like the status quo, they don't like what's going on right now. I just don't think that they have an idea as to what they want in place of it.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem. Well, nobody has a good answer. We saw so many of these governor's debates where they were asked about the insurance crisis, and every single one of them said, well, here's all the things we need to do, which are all the things that Ricardo Laura already implemented and have not worked. Yeah, I don't think many of them have ideas.
Speaker 3: But it's about everybody else. Insurance is unaffordable as a result. Now, Kim, you pointed out, she's a former San Francisco supervisor, very liberal, she has Bernie Sanders' support.
Speaker 7: Her campaign has been hard line against the insurance.
Speaker 2: Vote for Kim as an f you to state farm and I totally understand it. I don't think I do that though.
Speaker 7: Her campaign has been hard line. Again, it's the insurance industry.
Speaker 3: Some would say too hard because you know they can pull out, you know, and they have exact.
Speaker 6: Some major companies that have pulled out of the state of California. They're not writing policies.
Speaker 2: Correct, And Adriana still is oh yeah, and Veronica too.
Speaker 3: Correct and so and she's gotten some real estate packing. Ben Allen, state senator, well known, well.
Speaker 1: Liked fact check he is the state senator for the Palisades.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yes, but is he well known? I cannot tell you that.
Speaker 1: And by the way, he's also not one of the ones who's been out there being hugely critical of Ricardo Laura in the California Department of Insurance. Shouldn't he have been beating the pots and pans louder than he was, because we know that John Garamendi is John Garamendi is all over the place criticizing Ricardo Laara, the former insurance commissioner, current Congressman. If Gara Mendi can do it from his perch in Washington, d C. Ben Allen should have been right there with him.
Speaker 3: Ben Allen, state Senator, well known, well liked. He He's talked about how we need to harden up communities that are you know, in the in the interface, that are prone to these kind of disasters, and perhaps insurance rates will go down.
Speaker 2: They're not going down. The insurance companies have never said that they would lower rates if you harden your home. They don't care. No.
Speaker 3: But there's a there's another Republican, Stacy come Garden close enough.
Speaker 7: From the Central Coast.
Speaker 3: She's in third and she's just like two points behind Ben Allen, So we'll see.
Speaker 7: I mean, this could flip.
Speaker 3: I know that any Democrat running statewide wants to have a Republican challenger in the fall.
Speaker 7: That makes it easy for them.
Speaker 3: If it's the two Democrats, it's going to be an interesting race and it'll probably be expensive.
Speaker 5: Realistically, Conan, I'm sorry calling realistically, how could I mean, could we really see those changes come? I mean, I know so many of us who live in California and who are paying high prices for insurance. Could we see that decrease?
Speaker 2: Everyone running, including the current insurance commissioner, says well, the only answer is you need to pay even more. Yeah, and I'll tell you I would love to see the Republican candidate leapfrog Ben Allen and get into the general election, so you could have two very different points of view battling it out. If you have a socialist and a Democrat who are debating one another and running against one another, it puts the voters in an awful position because my guess is that Ben Allen won't be as brazenly corrupt as Ricardo Laura, but his policies are going to be very similar and I don't want that. But I also don't want a socialist to go in there and have the government take over, because then insurance is going to be like dealing with the fair plan all across the board.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, it's a that is a good question.
Speaker 3: I mean, the state fired Fire Agency has started to tell fire departments, Okay, you need to enforce zone one, Zone zero, Zone two.
Speaker 7: I don't know if homeowners have gotten it in the mail yet, but.
Speaker 2: It's all the Palisades residents who have their homes lots burned down. They got the notice is that they need to clear their brush.
Speaker 3: They did, but it's about trees being too close to your house or you know, within a five foot radius. So they're doing everything they can, I think, to try to address the potential for another conflagration of fire in some of these neighborhoods. But I don't know how you get around this because it's all about money, and they'veforces it and who enforces it, and there's a federal government helping out. They haven't helped out on a.
Speaker 7: Lot of things yet.
Speaker 1: And God warned you look at how the State of California is spending money that's supposed to go to fire victims. It's going to everything but fire victims.
Speaker 3: And so but to your point, a lot of focus is on this office because there's tremendous dissatisfaction with how it has been run by the current insurance commissioner.
Speaker 2: Who's that I wonder, I'm very kind of sketch.
Speaker 1: Why are they also hesitant to call him out by name?
Speaker 2: They don't have any better ideas than he did.
Speaker 7: So there are a lot of people who want changes.
Speaker 2: Ricardo Laura made deals with state farms specifically and the other major insurers to give them everything they wanted, everything they get in states like Florida, and they're still not coming back.
Speaker 7: So there are a lot of people who want changes.
Speaker 3: Bernie Sanders involved, others involved, the real estate industries involved, and both sides trying to articulate a way to make sure people don't depend completely on the Fair Plan, which a lot of criticisms.
Speaker 2: Statewide Fair Plan policies were supposed to deplete based on Ricardo Laura's sustainable insurance strategy. Fair plans have only gone up, and Ricardo Lara changed the rules to allow the fair Plan when it gets when it goes belly up, which it's not a government plan. It is made up of a consortium of the insurance companies. They get to pass that cost onto you the rate payer, even if you're not on the Fair Plan.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's supposed to be for people who live in danger zones. And now the people who are going on the Fair Plan, many of them don't even live in fire zones.
Speaker 2: And we get back.
Speaker 3: To a place where insurance is affordable and insurance companies don't pull out of the state.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that it makes sense. I just understand why at this point the majority of voters looking at that race are like, I want to blow up this whole system.
Speaker 1: But if we all end up on some version of the Fair Plan, that's going to put us all in a bad position. Because the Fair Plan is the worst at paying out on claims.
Speaker 2: State farms about as bad. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Statefarm is pretty bad. But I've heard nothing but awful things about the Fair Plan. I have heard people get paid with State Farm policies. I don't know anyone on the Fair Plan who's had to file acclaim, who's had a good experience. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number? What eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com and Randy Eremonitor In the mail bag, Kurt writes in at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com on the subject of Janekim, the former San Francisco supervisor who is running for Insurance Commissioner who has made the runoff. Janekim is a straight up communist who is despised by the landlord community in San Francisco, especially by the Chinese landlords. How is it that we ended up with this many communists sound the ballot at once. It is California, good Lord, Because it's not just her Styr essentially ran as a communist. We have Nitthia Rama and running for mayor of Los Angeles essentially as a communist. Look at all of these nutty das we've had here that are right there with them politically. I'll tell you what's going on right now in California is indicative of what's going on in the Democratic Party nationally, because we saw it with Mamdanni in New York and that crazy woman in Seattle, and that nut in Chicago, and different city councils all over the country. Certainly with AOC and her block and the Congress. I wonder if the Democratic Party is going to lose control of its nomination process in twenty twenty eight, and they are going to end up with a socialist or a communist their nominee. That seems to be where their voters are right now,