Speaker 1: Well, the city council might only give you sixty seconds to where your grievance is.
Speaker 2: Oh hi, i'd like to start go to the first caller on the phone.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're lucky, now we're giving you a full sixty minutes. It's a KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang and our long recap of the day's top local stories on your drive home. And unlike the city Council, we're the perfect vehicle to actually.
Speaker 2: Get your voice heard.
Speaker 1: The KADC News Blitz with Randy Wang starts no, No, No.
Speaker 3: It is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in southern California as well as the Bay Area, Sacramento, and San Diego. I compile a list every single day of all the stories that you may have missed that are important to you and that are locally focused at Randy Wangradio dot substack dot com. You can follow me on x and Instagram at Randy Wang Radio, send me an email at Randywang Radio at gmail dot com, and subscribe to the YouTube channel YouTube dot com, Slash at Randywang Radio. We are thirteen subs away from twenty five hundred subscribers. That's where you can watch the John Phillips Show every single day from noon to three. And he also has videos of this show and videos of the John Phillips Show, so check it out YouTube dot com slash at Randywang Radio. If you have any trouble finding that, send me an email. I'll get you in there directly. Programming note before we get into today's report, i am on our five of broadcasting today, but I'm doing a sixth hour of broadcasting today. So I started this morning recording the Accountability Podcast with John Phillips that premieres at midnight tonight. You can go to that channel YouTube dot com slash at Accountability Podcast.
Speaker 2: That was one hour.
Speaker 3: Then I did three hours of the John Phillipshow, so that's four hours.
Speaker 2: We're starting the news blitz right now.
Speaker 3: That's our five and at eight o'clock tonight, I'm going to be a guest on the California Underground podcast with our buddy Phil Moroelo. I've been invited to hang out for his live stream at eight o'clock tonight. It goes live on YouTube at California Underground as well as Instagram at California Underground, so check me out. I'll be on there tonight at eight o'clock, so I will be having dinner probably around seven. Let's get into today's stories, and our first story considers our Attorney General Bob Bonta Rob Bonta, but we like to call him Bob Bonta because LeeAnne Melendez said that once and I can't get over it. Bob Bonta made big headlines when he and eleven other attorneys general made a big lawsuit trying to halt the mega merger between Paramount Sky Dance and Warner Brothers Discovery, which, by the way, just the name of those comempanies tells you how out of control some of these mergers have gotten, because both of these companies recently did their own mergers and takeovers, and it's just it is a constant industry of everyone eating each other up. I have conflicting thoughts on this. For one, I love Bob Bonta making the backdrop of the Hollywood Sign as he's trying to obviously get some attention for himself. But what's interesting about this lawsuit? And I just listened to an interview that Bonta did the day he dropped the lawsuit with Kara Swisher on Pivot with Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway, which I listened to and I enjoy And if you ever listen to Scott Galloway, who I'm a big fan of. I like a lot of his stuff. But if you know me, and you know my obsession when it comes to phraseology and my obsession with certain word crutches that people can't seem to realize that they keep doing, specifically quite frankly, quite frankly, quite frankly, quite frankly, that if you ever listen to Scott Galloway, you will realize that he says that phrase over and over and over again. But one of the things about this lawsuit is that the scope is specifically going after the film distribution and the film studio part of this, because if you're Paramount sky Dance and you're looking to gobble up Warner Brothers Discovery, you can look at this at the lens of you're just trying to become a bigger competitor in the streaming market because the market share of Warner Brothers, which is HBO Max and Paramount which is paramount plus combined, isn't even a fraction of what Netflix does or what YouTube does, which I am recording to and I'm going to post a video of right now I somebody being four twenty one years old.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll be forty one in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: I consume the vast majority of my content on YouTube, and in fact, with my wife being out of town for the summer, I don't think outside of watching John Oliver, I have watched anything on any of my streaming services for the past six weeks, and I pay for all of them.
Speaker 2: So this lawsuit is not about that.
Speaker 3: This lawsuit is about the consolidation of the film studios and how there is an argument that that's going to lead to job losses when it comes to redundancy, when you're talking about some of the office people, HR, accounting, what have you. We've seen this over and over and over again, and the people that are going to be there are going to have to do a lot more with a lot less. Look, I'm no stranger to market consolidation. Famously, in the late nineties, then President Bill Clinton helped rein through so the deregulation of the radio industry where companies can only own a certain amount of stations, and then we said, screw it, they can own as many as eight in every market. And that's when you saw the behemoths of clear Channel and later what became to be known as Cumulus buying up every single thing. Odyssey just did this recently, and buying all these stations and also buying all the debt, and not exactly becoming profitable. And for the most part, you ask anybody that's worked in the radio industry in the last thirty years, they'll tell you the product has gotten worse.
Speaker 2: So is this better for consumers?
Speaker 3: Probably not accepted one specific instance. And again, the lawsuit is not about the streamers. The lawsuit is about the film studios, which is interesting because you know, there's so many things that get made now. They get a lot of attention that are being done by the independent studios, whether it be your obsession, whether it be your back rooms, or the Oscar Anora, which.
Speaker 2: Is a fantastic movie and.
Speaker 3: Worth all of it, and she deserved the Oscar too, Like, Okay, let's make the argument that these studios are too big and too powerful. Well, okay, on the streamer side of it. There is one benefit to the consumer. Now there could be an issue with well that means if they're buying up all these services, there's going to be less content. For one, there's a lot of content out there, and one of the issues with having so much different content on so many different streamers is that it's impossible to watch everything, and if you're paying for every single one, you're probably wasting a ridiculous amount of money.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to add it up now.
Speaker 3: Caveat certain streamers I get with a benefit to my credit card. So Apple TV Plus, which I think Apple puts out incredible content. You're talking Ted Last, so you're talking shrinking great shows. They don't really care about how many people watch them. They're just doing it for the awards. But I think they put out really really quality content and not enough people talk about them.
Speaker 2: But they're in one category.
Speaker 3: You've got your Peacock, which I think puts out great stuff. That Reggie Dinkins show is great. It's very reminiscent of the thirty Rock days. But I mean, how much business are they really doing. All of these companies have a fraction of the business that Netflix is doing, and even all that pales in comparison to what YouTube is doing. But if you're paying for all of them, you're not watching them. Anyway, I do pay for all of them. Probably shouldn't, but I do have a deal going. So the Apple one I get with my Chase cards, that one's free, I can watch all I want. My Chase Reserve is paying for that, and I already get enough benefits where the annual fee makes sense. My MX Platinum, I get a twenty five dollars streaming credit which I have bundled together HBO and Disney and Hulu, which I don't know how that works because Disney and Hulu are about to merge, but anyway, that's like twenty eight dollars a month, and I get twenty five dollars a month, So I'm getting those for three dollars. Then you get your peacock and then you get your paramount. But one of the benefits to the consumer if all of these companies merge is there will be less.
Speaker 2: Of these streaming services to subscribe to.
Speaker 3: But it is very interesting to me that six years ago, when everyone decided they were gonna come out with their own Netflix, we're talking Disney Plus, we're talking paramount, plus we're talking peacock.
Speaker 2: HBO had.
Speaker 3: HBO has gone through so many name changes over the last ten years. First they had HBO Go, then it became HBO Now, then it became HBO Max, then it became Max, and then it became HBO Max again. I'm pretty sure I got all of those, but that's always been a in some capacity. But you you have so many others at that point. If there's less of them, then you'll be paying less to watch all of this stuff, unless they decide, Okay, now we've merged these services, we need to increase the price to Netflix levels. Because Netflix got really expensive. I hope you enjoy it because you're paying If you're paying for four K on multiple screens, you're paying what twenty six twenty seven dollars a month just for that, and it goes up like every year. That being said, regardless of the streaming aspect of us. Oh, let me get to the point I was making so all these companies put forth all this money to create all this original content and stop doing what they were doing selling it to Netflix. And Netflix was taking on a ridiculous amount of debt, but they were growing a huge subscriber base. All of these streamers immediately start losing money. They start cutting the amount of content they're doing, they start cutting how much money they're putting into these shows.
Speaker 2: Season one of.
Speaker 3: How the Dragon had lots of battles and lots of dragons. Season two had a lot of talking. Now I haven't seen season three yet, but I hear they brought a lot of the fighting and the dragons back. So maybe they've realized their mistake or they pissed off George R. R.
Speaker 2: Martin.
Speaker 3: But ultimately a lot of these companies decided, you know what, why don't we just go ahead and start selling our back catalogs to Netflix again anyway, because that was working out really well. It's a giant, convoluted mess. And one of the things that is interesting is the younger generation doesn't.
Speaker 2: Pay attention to almost any of this stuff.
Speaker 3: They're watching YouTube, they're watching videos of other people play video games, they're watching short form content on TikTok, they're watching the instagrams, and they're watching podcasts.
Speaker 2: That is a huge growth industry.
Speaker 3: In fact, Netflix is so into this now and they're seeing how many people are watching podcasts on YouTube, something that we're now doing that. They're actually buying podcasts, the Breakfast Club, you can Netflix's. It's having all of this content that costs so little to produce. I can now put on a cable news level of quality talk show from one computer.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, but.
Speaker 3: Ultimately it means the way that this industry is going is that there will be fewer jobs. And these mergers are whether they happen or not, there's going to be a lot of the industry is going to be more spread out than it ever has been and I don't see that changing anytime soon. And sure, we could talk about the tax credits issue, including apparently a piece of legislation that might handicap California trying to claw back some of the productions that have left and the more attractive tax credits in other states, because we decided to put forth a part in the budget that says no company can get more than five million dollars in these tax credits, which pretty much wipes out all the big studios from coming back here anytime soon. And don't worry, they're not going to Atlanta anymore. They're fleeing to Ireland or the UK or Canada. And yeah, I'm gonna say this as a union guy, it's the unions that are definitely helping accelerate that push. It would be nice if everyone could sit down and find a happy medium to keep production here, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. In Culver City, there is a backlash two more proposed bike lanes, this time protected bike lanes on Overland Boulevard, taking away parking and taking away lanes of traffic on a very busy street that connects to the freeway. And one of the arguments that a lot of people that showed up at the council meeting have as to why they're opposed to this is they don't see anybody in these bike lanes anyway. It's this whole idea, if you build it, they will come. Well, I live in parts of the San Fernando Valley where we have turned entire thoroughfares. Receive a boulevard in the Northridge area into bike lane, and you think, oh, that would be a place with a lot of bikes. You're right next to seasun You will never see a bicycle going through Receipt a boulevard. They've got the protected bike lanes on White Oak I've seen maybe one, maybe two. I have seen a lot of dented ballards that I have seen plenty of, but I have not seen people using these bike lanes because for the most part, outside of the recreation of it, which you're probably better off going to the trails or the bike paths, except for the La River bike path, because you will probably pop your tires unbroken glass. I speak from experience, but it's still not necessarily safe and it's not really convenient, and so we're building a bunch of infrastructure that nobody's really using. So I understand the concern over there. Squatters are taking over more homes in Los Angeles. This is a fantastic report from our friend Matthew Seedorf at Fox eleven, and it is We told you about this story four months ago where a family lost their home because the house next door burned down thanks to squatters, and this family lost their home and their three dogs passed away. Awful, awful story. Four months later, their house is still burned down and now it's a giant pile of trash. Squatters have invaded, which means there is more fires, there is garbage, and there is condoms everywhere. Because one of the factors of squatters is it's also dens for prostitution. I don't know why that's your thing where you need to do that situation on top of a burned out building, But creepy dudes gonna creepy dudes. Speaking of creepy dudes, there is a crazy story coming out of Long Beach where locals are very upset about all of these vans parking saying, hey, check out Pinky's Girls in this big pink font advertising adult services and hookups. We're not really sure what it's for, and people are like, why is this allowed, especially outside of school, and how are you making any money on this? Well, great piece from NBCLA. It's one of my favorite pieces of the day because here's the issue. You have all of these ced trailers and vans being parked all over the place. How much could they possibly be making from it? What if the whole plan is not to make any money from Pinky's Girls. What if the idea here is to actually trick cities like Long Beach into a big, fat, expensive lawsuit. So when the city of Long Beach tried to shut down these trailers advertising Pinky's Girls whatever CD service they were actually advertising. They got sued over First Amendment violations by the owner of said trailers, and the owner got three hundred dollars. So is this a situation where someone really is advertising prostitutes on the back of a van, or is this a free speech First amendmenttrol who has figured out the perfect scam to sue cities. It's definitely possible. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on talk radio seven ninety KABC. You know what, let's get this out of the way, because I'm totally going to forget. I've got something nice for you. Seven ninety KABC welcomes Nelly with special guests Too Short at the Pacific Amphitheater at the OC Fair on August second. Tickets are on sale now at pacamp dot com, but right now calling number nine at one eight at eight seven ninety five two two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. All concert tickets included mission to the OC Fair. Tickets furnished by the Pacific Amphitheater. Good luck dialing. I am going to be a guest on the California Underground podcast today at eight o'clock at night. They stream live at eight o'clock on Tuesdays on YouTube at YouTube dot com, slash at California Underground, and on Instagram at California Underground. So I'm very excited. I need to reach out more to different kinds of shows because I'd love to do guest spots, especially now that i have the video setup all ready to go. So I'm excited to see how this goes. We've had Phil Marielo, the host of California Underground, on the show many times, and I think he does a great show, and I'm very excited to be a part of it. Let me remind you that at midnight tonight, the Accountability Podcast with John Phillips and Randy Wang, episode three drops and this one. As soon as I saw this thing happen, I was like, Oh, we're covering this on the podcast. Karen Bass and Barbara Ferrera getting cussed out in English and Spanish and getting booed in boil Heights. I'm like, yes, I could cut clips of that and cut around all the screaming and the cussin, or we can do. What we could do is play it all uncensored on an uncensored podcast, so that show goes live at midnight. You can subscribe on audio a couple of different ways, Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio, but we really encourage you to get us on YouTube, YouTube dot com slash at Accountability Podcast. If you cannot find it, email us and we'll send you the link because you can watch us react to all the madness in real time.
Speaker 2: It is fantastic.
Speaker 3: And as an added bonus, we're trying to get to one thousand subscribers by the end of the week and if we do, I have a very special video gift for you. We are going to put out a very special produced video, a visual representation of the famous caller Kathy from Malibu who wanted to talk to John Phillips about Madonna and Martha Stewart. It's a blast, but I can't release it until we get to one thousand subs. So that's YouTube dot com slash at Accountability Podcast. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC.
Speaker 1: He's half past five in LA. That means you're either sitting at a bar or sitting in transfer well. Wherever you are sitting, get comfortable because the KADC News Blitz with Randy Wang continues.
Speaker 3: No, it is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in southern California as well as the Bay Area, Sacramento, and San Diego. I compile a list every single day of all the stories that are important to Californians that you may have missed at Randy Wang Radio dot so dot com. You and also follow me on x and Instagram at Randy Wang Radio, send me an email at Randywang Radio at gmail dot com, and subscribe to our YouTube channels. You can get the John Phillips Show and this show on video every single day at YouTube dot com slash at Randy Wang Radio. I post the video after the show airs, and there's clips from the John Phillipshow and you can watch live from noon to three. Participate in the chatroom that's YouTube dot com slash at Randywang Radio. And the podcast The Accountability Podcast, which the new episode drops tomorrow is YouTube dot com slash at Accountability Podcast. If you cannot find either of those, do what Ed just did and ask me for the links. I will send them to you via email. Also just a reminder. I'm going to be on the California Underground podcast tonight at eight o'clock at YouTube dot com, slash at California Underground, and Instagram at California Underground. Gavin Newsom has done a lot of things to make it easier to build housing in California, and most of them have not moved the needle at all. But this last one, including a bill signing that he did just today, may have a little bigger impact than most of the things that he says are game changers, because there's a lot of things that go into why it's so expensive to build in California. Could be the cost of materials, could be you know, minimum labor standards and union workers, what have you. But one of the things that truly drives up the cost, and it's something that Matt Mayhan talked about a lot on the campaign trail when he was running for governor as mayor of San Jose and got four percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: Was impact fees. What are impact fees?
Speaker 3: Impact fees are fees placed by cities and counties to peace people building homes, whether that's single family homes or multifamily homes. It is an essential tax before a shovel is even put into the ground, and it can drive up the cost of a home by twenty to thirty percent because the developer's got to make that money back somewhere, which means the home's going to have to cost a lot more because we're paying a ridiculous tax to even build a house while we say we're in the middle of a housing crisis. Now, cities and counties depend on all of this money because it's what fills their budgets. They want to approve certain kinds of housing because they can get taxes and fees from it. And you know what, that system has not worked. So what is Gavin doing? And again we'll see if this actually turns out the way he says it is because Gavin makes a lot of big promises with very little follow through.
Speaker 2: But at least it face value.
Speaker 3: The idea of the state putting out an incentive structure with a carrot and a stick to say goodbye to impact fees by saying that you will not get any state money for any project if you're collecting impact fees. That's the stick, and the carrot is if you do that, the state will help whatever invest in that project, whatever funds that they have. If the cities and counties can stop this nonsensical things with the impact fees, maybe maybe, just maybe it'll be cheaper to build here. But will that actually mean that housing gets cheaper? You know, It's an issue that I wanted to talk about for quite some time, and it's usually like at the bottom of the list, and so I never.
Speaker 2: Get to it.
Speaker 3: But San Diego is a perfect example of a place that has built and built and built and said yes to everything. They have built more housing than the rest of the state.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 3: They have built more apartments, they have built more single family homes, and yes, they have built lots and lots and lots of ADUs. They had that ADU density bonus law where you could build an ADU giant tower in the backyard of somebody's house and you don't even need to have any parking. The latest studies have shown while they did increase supply, it did not really buy any noticeable margin lower the cost of getting into the market. Like the average price of a home is still pretty much the same than it was. There are more of them, but they still all cost the same. The rents for a I remember very specifically Todd Glawyer, the mayor of San Diego, doing a ribbon cutting ceremony, taking a victory lab talking about how San Diego says yes, and we're here to build everything. And then he was cutting the ribbon for an apartment building where a one bedroom is going for four thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: So my simple question.
Speaker 3: Is, at what point do you build enough housing that the price goes down? And if you are somebody who owns real estate, is that something you even want? Like you know, we all think about well, yes, of course we want to have more people be able to get into the market, but I also don't want my home values going down. I mean, currently I'm in a situation where this house is worth about two hundred and fifty thousand dollars more, if you believe Zillah, more than we paid for it. Not that we could ever sell. We're locked in at a two percent rate. I can't get rid of that. But if we build so much housing, let's say SB seventy nine just takes off and we built out so much housing and because of population loss, all all of a sudden, there is actually a demand problem, and a place like the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles, Like, what happens if my home value goes down to below what I paid for it? I mean, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. And I'm sure you have plenty of people that bought in at a very low price, Like I have friends that bought it in twenty twelve at the bottom of the market and then sold for triple what.
Speaker 2: They paid for it.
Speaker 3: But there is definitely an incentive to, well, we don't want the prices to really go down. A lot of people, that is the that's their nest egg, that's their equity, that's their livelihood, that's their retirement fund right there.
Speaker 2: So, like a lot of things with this show, I don't know what.
Speaker 3: The answer is, but what I do know is impact fees are foolish, and counties and cities got to find better ways to shore up the holes in their budget or I don't know, cut all the waste, but stop charging right before a sh shovel even gets into the ground.
Speaker 2: On Impact VS.
Speaker 3: We'll see if that has any changes, if that actually moves the needle. With Gavin, you can never be sure, but it sure sounds like the right idea. The City of Oakland has gone through the first hurdle of trying to sell the Colisseum. And if it feels like we've been talking about this story for over two years, it's because yes, we've been talking about this story for over two years, Shangy, and.
Speaker 2: We still got our Oakland A's no, you don't. This time.
Speaker 3: The City of Oakland is selling to a different group. The county is selling to AASEEG, which was Shang's Buddies that she kept promoting but saying that she wasn't a spokesperson for that didn't really have the money. The group that's buying from the city says they have the money, although part of the deal is that if for some reason they can't pay, the city's on the hook for it. But there's a lot of excitement and how this is going to transform Oakland and how there's going to be so much investment in this area. And they're not going to tear down the arena or the stadium. So it's not only they're going to put a bunch of housing in there, but what are they going to put in there? You have no sports teams. The soccer team was playing at the coliseum they're leaving, So what exactly is there to do. Maybe they've got some idea. Maybe they're going to attract teams come out there, maybe an expansion team for come out there, or maybe this Vegas thing will implode in the A's.
Speaker 2: Will come back to Oakland.
Speaker 3: No, that's not happening. But we want the best for the city of Oakland. I really do you know. I know that city of Oakland becomes the butt of a lot of jokes because we have had a lot of fun at Shang Tao's expense.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, but.
Speaker 3: It should be a jewel of a city. It should be because of where it is, right on the Bay, right next to San Francisco, regarded in the same light as San Francisco. Because I have heard so many things about the food scene in Oakland that I want to try, that I want to be able to enjoy. I follow all this like Mez Cowbar up there that I really want to experience. But Oakland's got to deal with their image problem, and that includes public safety, and that includes the doom loop of all the businesses and all the sports teams going bye bye. As we're in the middle of summer travel season, ABC seven in the Bay has put out a handy little guide of travel scams to watch out for. Notably, if you're shopping for airline tickets on a search engine like a Google, just be careful of what search results you're actually clicking on. I find it you're better off to know what the real price for anything is when you're dealing directly with the airline and you're dealing directly with their apps. Also, make sure you pay for any of this stuff with a credit cards, you are secured. And if you are a master of points, which I consider myself an emerging master of Points, well then you probably have tons and tons and tons of ways to fly for free wherever you want to, unless you're trying to fight business class, because those can get real expensive. Unless you're willing to fly last minute, which is what we did last Christmas, and we might do this Christmas. I don't care where the flight starts. As long as Spain's in there somewhere, we can get on a plane last minute for seventy five thousand points business class. I'm gonna do it every single time. It's the news Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety kab C. It's the news Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. Just a reminder as I wrap up our five of broadcasting today, because I did the Accountability podcast this morning, that I did three hours of the John Phillips that I'm doing this show, I'm doing a sixth hour. I'll be a guest on the California Underground podcast tonight at eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: Our buddy Phil Melroyelo.
Speaker 3: Does a stream on Tuesdays at eight o'clock at YouTube dot com, slash at California Underground and on Instagram at California Underground, So I will be hanging out there tonight at eight. First time I've been asked to be a guest on somebody else's podcast to promote our stuff.
Speaker 2: So that is very very exciting.
Speaker 3: Get to use my little home setup and show it to other people that don't know what we're doing, and promote the station, promote the show, promote the brand. All right, here's the dumbest thing you're going to hear today. The state of California is actively working to put goat herders out of business. The state of California has put a new minimum wage law focused on go goat herders because they believe goat herders should be paid the same as sheep herders, even though goat herders and sheep herders do very different things. Goat herders very specifically are used in a very essential task, and that is clearing out brush in wildfire prone zones. It is one of the most effective things that we can do. The goats eat all the brush, they eat all of the fuel, and then we don't have these destructive wildfires that get out of control. Notably, the Ronald Reagan Library pays goats to clear out all the brush around there, so even when there have been destructive fires in Siami Valley, well, the Reagan's been protected. It is a wonderful thing and it is like such old school technology that really works to our benefit. But the state of California has decided that while they should make as much as people raising sheep for wool shearing, and I guess sheep make a lot more than goat herders. And if this law went into effect, nobody would be able to afford to pay the goat herders to chew up the brush. Based on how much they want to charge the minimum wage for somebody being a goat herder, which means that in order to deal with that, and now people are not working, they're gonna have to sell their goats and they're probably gonna have to sell them to slaughter.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: The California bill to protect goat herders might actually end up killing a bunch of goats. You can't make this bleep up. Here's a story that won't surprise you. PG and E is to get to blame for another fire, this time the Mosquito fire. And yes, these fires have really silly named this whole concept of naming it after the street they started on, including what was it in Marietta the other day, the volcano fire. Oh boy, well, P is once again to blame for this, although they say they're not. They're just settling because it makes everyone's lives a lot simpler. But here's the thing that bothers me. You hear that Pacific Gas and Electric is paying a twenty two million dollar settlement, and you might think, okay, well, at least some of the people whose lives burned down, whose homes burned down, they're going to get made whole by the derelict electric monopoly. That wasn't paying attention to their equipment, and you would be wrong because the money's going to like the state of California, or it's going to a certain nonprofit. Here, none of the money is actually going to the victims. And boy, doesn't that sound familiar. And finally, another thing that Gavin Newsom is doing. And I'm conflicted on this one because I'm a big supporter of the product, but I don't think in twenty twenty six we necessarily should need to subsidize it. California is going to be doing its own electric vehicle incentives this after the federal government ended the ones that were going on during the Biden administration. It's going to be like three thirty seven hundred dollars for a new EV or seventeen hundred dollars for a used EV, which there are some pretty good deals right now on some used evs, but as soon as word gets out then the price.
Speaker 2: Goes way up.
Speaker 3: Here's what I will say. I am the proud owner of an electric car. I have had my Chevy Bolt for over three years. Actually now it's four years. Yeah, and I just hit forty thousand miles, so I hit about ten thousand miles a year, so don't charge me too much for insurance.
Speaker 2: Triple A. Okay, it's got all the safety features. Please please. I'm in that.
Speaker 3: Couple of months where I don't have to pay because with Triple A you pay like for nine months for the year.
Speaker 2: It's kind of nice, but it's about to be not nice. Anyway.
Speaker 3: I bought my car well, okay, let's be completely honest. My wife held me buy my car back in twenty twenty two, and at the time I knew what I wanted.
Speaker 2: I wanted the Chevy Bolt. I wanted the one.
Speaker 3: That had the super CRUs so I could deal with the four h five, And we bought it knowing that it did not qualify for any incentives, didn't qualify any state incentives, didn't qualify for any federal incentives, because one of the things that these incentive programs were doing is like, well, if it's already a popular car, then we're not going to give you any money. But if you're going to spend money on one of these experimental companies that's definitely going to go out of business. Okay, we'll give you a tax credit for that, which is a little weird. And the Biden tax credits notably cut out. Elon is some kind of fu I wonder if that motivated him to do the things that he did in twenty twenty four. He does seem kind of petty, and that seem kind of foolish because that is the most popular electric car. But I guess you want to bring some equity to the market regardless. I bought my car with no incentive and I love it. And as someone that had to pump gas for the first time in a long time last week because my wife is out of town and I had to fill her car up, I really don't miss that crap, especially with how expensive gas is. So if you have the right situation for an ev like you have a place to charge it, and you know, if you're in a single family home, it'll cost you maybe five hundred one thousand dollars to get a level two charger in front of your house, that'll pay for itself in just a couple of weeks. With how expensive gas prices are. I charge at night because I don't and I don't really see any kind of increase in my electric bill.
Speaker 2: It's worked out great for me.
Speaker 3: But I think the product at this point should sell itself, and I think there's a lot of people probably looking at evs just based on the uncertainty with the war that was over, but then it's not over and the blockades back on, and who knows.
Speaker 2: I can't even pay attention do it anymore.
Speaker 3: But I feel like that at this point, the product sells itself, and if the cars are too expensive, well then the manufacturer's got to figure out how to compete better, because in this country it might seem like the best you can do for an EV is like thirty five thousand dollars. China's killing us right now. In the markets where you can buy the byds, you can get the byds for ten twenty thousand dollars, and apparently they're performing better than the Tesla's at this point. So unless we start really drilling down on how to make these more affordable at the manufacturer's side without subsidizing them, we're going to run into all kinds of problems. That being said, I'm a big fan of the product. I love my electric car, but it has limits. It's great for commuting, it is insane to road trip with, and I do not recommend it even if you have a Tesla. We're not there yet. When charging can be as fast as filling up a tank, then we'll talk.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you right now now.
Speaker 3: If you drive to a place like Wine Country where there's no cell reception and you're trying to download the apps to use all these chargers, you're gonna rip.
Speaker 2: Your hair out.
Speaker 3: Hey, catch me on the California Underground podcast Tonight to ey, It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC