Speaker 1: Everything the mainstream media left out.
Speaker 2: Delivered just right. It's The John Phillip Show, and we continue at two to five in the afternoon on The John Phillip Show, Mister Randy wags in Culver City.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I click the button to turn the sound off and it doesn't turn off. That's what happens. I am so jealous. Listener Jason says, it's seventy eight degrees in the Bay right now. It is so stinking hot in southern California right now.
Speaker 4: But hey, we're.
Speaker 3: Broadcasting live in southern California and northern California, seven ninety KABC in Southern California, eight ten KSFO in the Bay and streaming live on video every single day at Johnny don't like dot Com. That's Johnny with a Y. You can watch us live every single day from noon to three or on demand if you're too busy. Johnny don't like dot Com. I don't really mind the heat. What I can't stand is the heat with the humidity. And I don't know what the deal is with the humidity, but I feel like I'm in Florida and alligators are going to be walking down the street next Apparently it has to do with the El Nino this year. But yes, typically we can handle the heat in southern California because it's dry. It's not dry anymore, it's gross.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. He is a Republican political strategist who you can follow on Exit The Thomas Guide.
Speaker 4: John Thomas.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Hey John, good to be with you and see you well.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for stopping by. No problem. So let's start.
Speaker 2: Out by talking about the politics of scandal, because Eric Swalwell, for a moment in time, was arguably one of the biggest celebrities in the resistance movement. He was one of the Democrats who handled the impeachment of Donald Trump. He was a guy who lived on cable news and lusted for confrontation. I think he was one of the Democrats who would go on with Tucker Carlson on his program on the Fox News channel and they'd get into a catfight on live television. Then he became a candidate for governor here in California. I believe that is the reason that a Landy con Locus dropped out of the race. She thought she couldn't beat him. The polls indicated that he would likely be the top performing Democrat and the primary election, and then John when it rains, it pours, the allegation started coming out about sexual assault. He was forced to drop out of the race. He is now lawyered up. He has a criminal defense attorney and most recently his home.
Speaker 4: In Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: Was raided by the FBI and he himself was confronted by the FBI at SFO Airport and his phone and his laptop were all taken by the federal government. And it looks like they're investigating whether or not he is going to be charged with sexual assault. Everything just fell apart for him all at once. But these open secrets that existed were didn't impact his career up until the first woman came forward. What do you make of what has happened to him? How long he was able to keep these secrets hidden, and how quickly his world just fell apart.
Speaker 1: Well, you hit it on the head. I mean, I mean, it wasn't It wasn't a well kept secret in d C. Most most folks did know. I mean, in fact, you know Fox News and Tucker Carlson made fun of routinely the fact that Eric Swalwell was honeypotted by a Chinese spy. You know, these were pretty much out in the open. I think the issue, John, is Eric never really had real power as just another member of Congress, and the fact that he was about to approach real power in in a race in which he was the front runner for that race. The information came out out and it was incredible to me, not so much that it was covered, because this is kind of It's why you know, when you run for high profile races, particularly president of the United States, they call it the MRI for the soul because things that perhaps people didn't care about before, all of a sudden people begin to care about. What was stundying to me, John, is how quickly it happened, uh, And the fact that his Democratic colleagues let him hold the front runner status for so long. So the question I'm still interested to know, John, is it that this issue was forced by an opponent in the eleventh hour, because it honestly, a Katie Porter or somebody should have taken Swallowell out earlier on in the race, allowing other shuffling to happen. The late shuffle really was perfectly timed for Besserah as the only one to kind of take control of the race. So it's interesting to see that at the end of the day and Democrats knew that this he had all this baggage, they didn't care until it actually affected them, when Eric might actually have power.
Speaker 2: If he were to go to a consultant and say, Okay, I want to run for governor. I want to hire you to run my race. I would assume that most strategists, most consultants would then hire a firm to see what's out there on this candidate so they know what's coming. I would also assume that his opponents in the race would hire firms to figure out what was going on in his past that may or may not be relevant in this campaign. How did this not come up in his own internal organization or in the other campaigns, because it seems like it was it was the news media that brought these women out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. Well, let me tell you, first of all, you're right, I can say confidently I've done this hundreds and hundreds of times. It's called a self vulnerability study. It even has a term a package that we start when consultants start with with a candidate that you typically top level consultants would mandate that as part of their engagement, even before they're getting engaged, saying I need I need that full self vulnerability package. And that's not just because we want to decide, hey, is this candidate safe to work with? Are they going to implode? But also John because when we do an extensive benchmark survey and we test all the messages both against our opponents but also for our guy, we also test the hits on ourselves to understand are there any are there any fatal hits? If there are really hard hits, what are the right responses do we get out ahead of it? Do we ignore it? It's you can't ignore those. It looks like his campaign consultants committed malpractice because they didn't they didn't conduct that study. Now maybe it's because Eric didn't want that information to be held by his team. I'm not sure, but there's no excuse for a Katie Porter or others to have not conducted that same level of opposition recent that's campaign malpractice.
Speaker 2: How reckless was it of Nancy Pelosi, who was then the Speaker of the House and Democratic leader when Swallwell served in the House of Representatives, and Adam Schiff, who was the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, to leave him on that sensitive committee, knowing there was all of this compromat out against him, and knowing that he was sleeping with the Chinese spy, because that which he had denied publicly has since been verified. She acknowledged that she had an affair with him on more than one occasion. I believe he was left on that committee and exposed to some of the nation's biggest secrets, and they were asked to remove him from that committee, and they all stood by him, and they all defended him, and they said that these attacks on him we were part of a partisan witch hunt. We now know that's not true.
Speaker 1: Well, that actually was the thing that was most shocking to me when it was going down, was that the Democrats are so in such a partisan like tribal cocoon that they can't do the obvious right thing because it would be perceived perhaps as agreeing with the President Trump or agreeing with the Republicans. But I also john think the mainstream media are to blame The fact is the Democrats, like Adam Schiff, weren't under sufficient external pressure from the media to remove and take action against Swalwell.
Speaker 2: The race to replace Swalwell has been decided, at least in the short term, and a DSA candidate who the Democratic Party did not want to win ended up winning that election. They wanted just a standard rank and file Democrat who would vote the party line. They didn't get that. They ended up with another DSA problem child. What do you make of the fact that the DSA is still is still not just a New New York state, but Colorado, California, all over the place. They are still rolling up the wins in these Democratic primaries.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is the story to me. You could have written it off as a one off if Mendami won, but you weren't seeing a pattern in politics particular as we're going into a big cycle like this, a midterm cycle where I'm always trying to identify larger trends and patterns, and we can't ignore it any longer. That this is a serious tailwind and movement within the Democratic Party. It's where the intensity lives is with Democratic Socialists. This should be a serious red flag for Democrats because they're nominating these candidates, quite frankly, in a wobbler of a swing district, are not electable to defeat a Republican candidate. Now maybe there's a one off exception where they do win, but it creates viability challenges for the Democrats. But then, of course, if these Democrats, these Democrats social start winning, then of course good luck to a Hakeem Jeffries to govern with these socialists because it used to be just wing wing nuts like AOC and others that didn't have much power. But you could have a critical mass of these and then let's fast forward to the presidential cycle. It's possible that the Democrats, instead of nominating kind of a milk toast Midwestern Democrat, it's very possible that the intensity continues to nominate an AOC type candidate, which both is scary for the country but also a gift for the Republicans because arguably you could defeat an extreme leftist.
Speaker 2: What does the party do? Because you look at this map, the calendar is now out. We know that South Carolina is going first. We know that Nevada, New Mexico, Virginia, Michigan. They'll also be voting early on in the Democratic primary, if you have a bunch of establishment candidates who are essentially all working the same corner where you have Kamala, you have.
Speaker 4: New Sin, you have JB. Pritzker, you have I guess Gretchen person.
Speaker 2: She's not going to run, but yeah, you have all of those just standard partisan Democrats who are in the race, and you have either an AOC or a Bernie or someone from that part of the DSA who is going to run and have that lane all to themself. If you split that vote among the standard partisan Democrats enough ways, you can almost create a lane for the DSA candidate to grab the ball and run right into the end zone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's actually obviously completely different on the issues, John, but it's actually the similar dynamic to what President Trump enjoyed in twenty sixteen, when the establishment lane was split many different ways. President Trump held on to his lane in the mid twenties, and everybody said that he couldn't win. It's like, actually he did because he was able to hang onto a large enough portion of his base, of the base of the Republican Party uninterrupted. I could see the same thing going on here. And here's the other truth. John, Yes, the intensity right now is with socialism, which is crazy in the Democratic Party. But let's also look at mainstream Democrats. I mean, what have they done. What solutions are they offering to Democratic voters? Nothing? Really, nothing really innovative, no new policy proposals, Whereas at least on the far left, there is a although they're crazy, I believe AOC believes what she's saying. I'm not so sure that there's a conviction and intensity from other Democrats on the kind of the more middle of the road lane.
Speaker 2: Is there anyone within the Democratic Party, the chairman of the party, Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, whomever, who has the power in the stature to go to these candidates and go, Okay, if we split the vote too many ways, the DSA is going to win the nomination, and we can not have that because the likelihood that we will lose the November election becomes very high. So Pritzker, it's not your time, get out. Paulus, it's not your time, get out. Mowsome, it's not your time get out. Does anyone have that power? Not?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: You look at the state of the Democratic Party, it's in complete disarray. The Democratic National Committee's leadership is feckless and broke. I think John, that might work in the eleventh hour as the field begins to narrow, But the politics of self interest in a presidential cycle is just why not, you know, why not run? You know, stranger things have happened if you're if you're a Democrat, to perhaps be the last They all believe that the last man could be the last man standing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I think a name that I still think it might be one of the top contenders if it isn't an AOC is John Ossif. I'm really impressed by him. Obviously he's Jewish, which is a problem for the anti Semitic wing of the Democratic Party. But I think Osif might be able to straddle both kind of a fresher new generational face, but kind of that centrist centrist lane. So I wouldn't count Osif out, but I think they might end up just running too many standard Democrats, leaving an AOC open.
Speaker 2: What do you make of his philosophy. He's running for reelection in the state of Georgia, which is a state that voted for Donald Trump last time around. It's a state that has historically voted Republican, they have a Republican governor, they have Republican state wide elected officials. He's almost bypassing his reelection. He's not running as a red state Democrat. He's almost running as a national candidate. And he's not running to the right of the Democratic Party. He's running as a hard partisan who is out to get Donald Trump at every opportunity. Is he looking beyond his reelection too soon with that strategy or do you think that he believes correctly that he has this in the bag.
Speaker 1: Well, I know his team fairly well, so I can speak with pretty good certainty about this. There's a couple of things motivating his national profile. One is he's trying to raise small dollars. So the best way to raise small dollars right now is to run against Donald Trump. So you can send email and text solicitations to you know, the unmarried white woman in Orange County, California that maybe voted for Katie Porter and is angry. So it's a lot about small dollars, but it's also John It is a little bit of arrogance because I think in part the Assoff team sees such an incredibly weak field going into the next presidential cycle that they want to begin into position themselves. But I've cautioned ASA's team as I would kash If Kasha Newsom's team. You know, you run the risk here of just peaking too soon. At least Newsom doesn't have a re election to contend with. But Austin has to pay close attention. Anything can happen in Georgia, and if he nationalizes this too quickly, it could backfire.
Speaker 2: Let's come back to California for a moment, because Xavier Besserra is running really a shell of a campaign. After he won the primary, he disappeared and we haven't seen much of him. Steve Hilton has challenged him to a series of debates. Bessara says, at some point in the future we will debate, but he really won't give details beyond that he's not sitting down for many interviews. He's not having many press availabilities. What do you make of this strategy? We know that he doesn't think he has to campaign that hard as a shifted not but it's becoming an issue.
Speaker 4: It's becoming something.
Speaker 2: That's talked about in ways that it hasn't been in previous campaigns. Do you think that this is going to give Hilton an opening to go after Besara.
Speaker 1: On It's an interesting dynamic. First, Sarah is taking his lead and hoping that it just becomes a race of rs versus d's, and the math is you can't get around the math, and conventional wisdom would say that's right. The other thing is, I think but Sarah knows that he's not an incredibly strong candidate head to head with other candidates like a polished Steve Hilton. So for him, he has to make no mistakes. That's kind of a rule number one. So he's laying low. Now, the question is is he laying too low? I'm not sure. I think Steve has to disrupt this race somehow, and the best way he can do it is by engaging with Javier, And if Avier doesn't engage with him, it limits Steve's opportunities to to shuffle this race up. My hunches, Javier is basically saying, look, I'm going to raise just enough money from I'm kind of a call it the I'm sorry establishment money that didn't come to me. I'm gonna let my TV ads role in the home stretch and that should be sufficient and that should work. But if something were to break out that's bad in the state. For instance, it could look at one of those moments, John, where Bessarah was nowhere to be found, in a moment where Californias were expecting his leaderships. So I think it probably works. But look, if we zoomed out, he's not a good candidate. If you ran in any other competitive state, he would be losing. He'd be ten points behind. He's lucky that registration just so heavily favors Democrats right now.
Speaker 2: John Thomas republican political strategist. You can follow him on x at the Thomas Guide. John, thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 1: Thanks John, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to email the show, oh, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at g meil dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at g meal dot com and Randy. If you want to watch us perform the show live and click that like button, you can do so quite easily at Johnny don't like dot com.
Speaker 3: We bought our own domain name to make it really easy to find this show. Johnny with a why Johnny don't like dot com takes you right to the YouTube channel. You get subscribe to all of our content goes to your homepage, play in the chat room. We're having a lot of fun here until three o'clock. Hit the like button that gets YouTube to recommend us to new people every single day, which is happening constantly. Our subscriber knows are growing faster than I ever thought they would. It's all happening every single day from noon to three, Johnny don't like dot Com. If you're driving and you're too busy to check us out live from noon to three, well check it out on demand because all the videos are there, including the best of videos in the Accountability Podcast at Johnny don't like dot Com. If you're looking for content after we sign off at three, Randy, there's a always the Accountability Podcast. Our latest episode is getting a lot of attention because Senega Scott does not hold back on his criticism of the corruption that has been going on in Oakland for years and years and years and how so much of it ties to Attorney General Bob Bonta Bonta. So check it out after we sign off at three. If you haven't watched it yet, Johnny don't like dot Com.
Speaker 2: And if you want to watch the last half hour live on your computer or your television or your phone. Go to Johnny Don't Like dot com and click that like button. It really helps us spread the message far and wide. And if you want to see us in person, Randy, We're going to be at Pineapple Hill in the San Fernando.
Speaker 4: Valley a week from Friday.
Speaker 3: We're going to be at the legendary Pineapple Hills Saloon and Grill, and that gorgeous patio angel is going to be taking good care of you. We're there with our friend Susan Shelley from the Howard Jarvis Taxpay Association to support Prop forty three, the Local Taxpayer Protection Act. You can get your free yard signs, hang out, have a beer, have a club sandwich. You're gonna have a great day. The John Phillips Show live in Sherman Oaks at the Pineapple Hills Saloon and Grill from noon to three Friday, September fourth.
Speaker 4: So I've been all.
Speaker 2: Over the place recently promoting the Accountability Podcast, and one of the places I stopped by last week, I think it was the end of the end of last week, was with Jesse Kelly and we talked about any number of subjects involving both California and the nation, and we decided that we would play that interview for you right now.
Speaker 3: Here is John's latest appearance on Jesse Kelly Show on the first So.
Speaker 2: Would you be a good president?
Speaker 4: We'll see. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a difficult question to answer. I mean, it's it's so I have no idea.
Speaker 5: I would like to think I would be, but that's for others to determine.
Speaker 2: By the way, I think I was a pretty good mayor.
Speaker 5: I think I pretty good, but people have opinions, and so I'm not naive about it. That's a terrible answer. How about showing some confidence joining me now? John Phillips, host of the accountability podcast Available What Johnny Don't Like Don't dot Com? All right, John, that answer sucked. I'm not sure it sounded so effeminate.
Speaker 2: Well, I can answer the question for him. He'd make a horrible president, And how do I know he was a horrible governor? And how am I judging him before he became governor. I could buy my shampoo without it being behind bulletproof class and now I have to buy shampoo that's locked up behind bulletproof glass, So yeah, I can answer it confidently. He'd be awful.
Speaker 5: John.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 5: Look, when you're in the limelight, obviously you're going to get a lot of tomatoes thrown at you. So all politicians, Republican and Democrat, after too much time in the spotlight, the bloom falls off.
Speaker 4: The roads a little bit.
Speaker 5: Look at Trump's approval numbers. At the same time, it's hard to forget that. I feel like we were sitting here a year ago, and maybe you weren't, but I was thinking to myself, Gavin Newsom's the nominee, the presumptive Nominee's gonna have the fundraising structure in place, He's gonna have the California I mean, it's gonna be set. He doesn't feel set anymore. Was I wrong then?
Speaker 4: Or did something happen in the last year?
Speaker 2: You know what's funny? And I actually just had this conversation a couple of days ago on my program with Chuck Todd, of all people, and he believes that Gavin Newsom's window was actually last time around. Where had he had the guts to challenge Joe Biden in the Democratic primary to be the first Democrat to say, let's be honest, Joe is senile. He can't be president for four more years. And he was the guy that may have been his one and only opportunity. And it looks like the window on Galvin new has closed. These politicians think that there's more windows in the Crystal Cathedral for their careers, and the reality is there's not. Had Trump not run in twenty sixteen in that climate, in that environment, he probably would have never become president. And you look at Barack Obama, who ran when he was relatively new in the United States Senate in two thousand and eight. Had he waited his turn, he probably would have never been president. I think Gavin Newsom missed his window, and I think he's trying to create something that's not organically there this time around.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't necessarily disagree, but to play devil's advocate, Okay, he challenges a sitting president of the United States of America. You and I both understand that the fundraising infrastructure of the Democrat Party. In the Republican Party, they would punish you severely for that. Even if you were able to actually win a primary, he would f find yourself in the general election with the inside of your pockets hanging out of your pants, right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's assuming that the poll numbers never materialize for him. Look at all of these incumbents who are losing this cycle, longtime members of Congress, longtime Democratic politicians in good standing with the party. You're not talking about blue dog Democrats who are losing, people like Diana Deguett and Colorado and others. You're talking about people who were impeachment managers, people who were partisan Democrats who voted the party line for decades. They're the ones who are losing. So if you are Gavin Newsom and you run against Joe Biden, and you showed better numbers against Trump than Biden, and you show that you can beat Joe Biden in a Democratic primary, I think the party almost is going to be forced to take you.
Speaker 5: Seriously, Let's broaden this a little bit, John, to make it just about politics in general. Where we are, because I've been thinking about this, brew on this quite a bit. It feels like there is such anger, such dissatisfaction with the economic situation, with the jobs market, with inflation in this country, and that that is not going to go away. It didn't go away under Joe Biden. Hasn't gone away under Donald Trump. I know that we had more primary losses since nineteen seventy. Recently, it feels like, right now, the worst thing you can be is somebody who's been there.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 2: I think there is a lot of truth to that, and you're seeing that with the popularity of the DSA. If people think that the party establishment has failed them, they're going to look for alternatives. And right now, particularly within the Democratic Party, the DSA is the only one, or they're the only ones talking about policy. The Standard Democrats make Trump the villain in every story. All they do is talk about Trump, and let's face it, Trump can't put his name on the ballot again. He's turned out. He's a lame duck, and all the Democrats want to do is beat the same dead horse. Well, if you're doing that, then you're giving the floor to the DSA on talking about ideas. Now they're bad ideas, but they frame them as ideas that will improve the lives of the voters, and that puts the Standard Democrats in these primaries in a very dangerous place.
Speaker 5: Grima Vodka was out there talking about Joe Biden.
Speaker 6: Here she was see I had been speaker, And when I was speaker, I saw the president all the time. But when I wasn't then I saw maybe three times that whole year, and so I didn't know, and I don't and I think he had his sort of ups and downs. And when he when I saw him one time, he was giving me the Presidential Medal of Freedom. So that was a short vent and he was right, perfectly fine that day, I thought. And so I didn't know, but I do think that those who did know should have acted upon that information.
Speaker 7: Whatever that miss Staff and family both, you mean.
Speaker 6: Well, whoever knew, who ever knew there was the staph saying the family knew, the family saying the stuff. I don't know, but they should, I consume her. It should have been caused. This was a great man.
Speaker 5: You know what I heard there, John, I heard an old tiff between Grandma Vodka and Jill Biden. And that was a nice, little subtle way to slip another knife in the ribs.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing about Nancy Pelosi, she never lets a grudge die. If you rob her, she will remember that and till the day that she is dead. Now, in terms of her not being able to tell that Biden was out of it, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I talked to two people who were recently in the same room as Nancy Pelosi and had pretty close contact with her, and on TV. She's got the hair, she's got the makeup, she's got the jewelry, she's got thousands of dollars of clothes. She looks well put together when you see her in person. According to two different people, she's extremely frail, I mean, bone skeleton thin. She hangs on to a security guard with one hand. She's got a handful of Kleenex in the other. She doesn't touch anyone. One of the people I know who talked to her has met her and dealt with her on a number of occasions. She walked in totally vacant, not knowing who he was. After they started talking a little bit, she was with it and she could answer all the questions fluidly, but it took her a minute. She's eighty six years old. She's older than Joe Biden. Don't forget about that. So the fact that she couldn't pick up on it doesn't surprise me at all.
Speaker 5: Is the Democrat Party suffering because Nancy Pelosi? You know father time came for her as he comes for us. All lost their fastball and she needs Kleenex in a security guard. And there's no longer anybody in the Democrat House of Representatives to take the animals and drag them into a room and slam the door and say shut your friggin mouth, or I'm going to make sure you leave. I think the Democrat Party is suffering without her.
Speaker 2: They are She is their MVP. Now we don't like her politics, but she ran that caucus like a gangster. She made sure that people fell in line, and if you misbehaved, there was punishment. They were afraid of her. She could make the rain with all the campaign contributions and the endorsements and the unions and the money, but she could turn it on, and she could turn it off. All of the people that she was training to take over for her to run that caucus left for one reason or another. You had Chris van Holland who left to run for the Senate. You had Joe Crowley who got beat by AOC. You had Steve Israel who left to write mystery novels for whatever reason. But you had three or four people that she had been taking the time to train as to how to run that caucus the way that she did, and they all left. So they now have Hakim Jeffreys in charge of that caucus. And comparing him to Nancy Pelosi's like comparing the New York Yankees to the mud Hens. The guy just doesn't have the skills, he doesn't have the ability, and Nancy Pelosi did. And it's very hard to create that. It's very hard to pick up those skills in a very short amount of time. She had been around a long time.
Speaker 4: Don't forget.
Speaker 2: She was in her forties. Before she was even elected to Congress. She ran the California Democratic Party. She was a big time fundraiser in San Francisco. Her dad was the mayor of Baltimore. She came into this business knowing this business backwards and forwards, and then she perfected it. They can't recreate that, and right now they're suffering because of it.
Speaker 5: John, final one from me. But I just had to get this to you before I let you go. Did a former mayor of Los Angeles just get busted being a Chinese spy?
Speaker 2: Well it wasn't Los Angeles. It was Arcadia, which is a city in Los Angeles County. But yes, there was a mirror of Arcadia, who apparently was working for the CCP the entire time that she was an elected official in California. And what's funny is like, Okay, you think, all right, she's a spy. They play it good, they make it that she's under the radar, that no one could tell that she's a spy. And then you go back and you look at what she did during the campaign and the presentation that she put out, and it's like the Chinese version of Boris and Natasa from Bullwinkle, where it was so cartoonishly obvious the entire way through the campaign that everyone should have picked up on it, and apparently nobody did until finally the FEDS blew the whistle.
Speaker 5: Jeez, john thank you brother.
Speaker 4: I'm back. So there you go.
Speaker 3: That was Johnny's appearance on with Jesse Kelly on the first.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny Don't Like dot com and click that like button.
Speaker 4: We're below four hundred.
Speaker 2: Let's get it over four hundred before we sign off at three. If you haven't clicked that button, please do so. It's the big thumbs up. It helps us out a lot. Here with an update on the disaster that is Boyle Heights.
Speaker 4: Mister Randy Wayne.
Speaker 3: We're gonna need Katie Porter for this one. For our latest installment of Lineage has changed the figures, and while they were ninety nine percent done with the cleanup last week, now they realize they're actually only ninety percent done, and they're past Karen Bass's deadline. They're also past their own deadline, and Boyle Heights is stinking up in the middle of.
Speaker 4: This heat wave.
Speaker 3: For more, here's NBCLA continues in Boil Heights.
Speaker 7: Last night, Lineage, which owns the burned out warehouse, announced cleanup is now ninety percent complete. That's a revised number from earlier this week. And these are new photos from in and around the warehouse. NBC fours and Ariola live outside the aqmd headquarters in Diamond Bar this morning. On that good morning, it sounds like the agency is calling the company out on those cleanup numbers.
Speaker 8: Michelle, good morning to you, and they are a bit confusing. So South Coast AQMD sais.
Speaker 3: Well, especially because Karen Bess said this thing would be all cleaned up in forty five days and I'm going to hold them to that.
Speaker 2: When I hear it's ninety percent done, all I can think about is it still stinks.
Speaker 8: They now believe that the amount of waste was out actually greater than was originally reported.
Speaker 3: So it was more than eighty five million pounds of food what was it ninety.
Speaker 8: That's so gross estimated by Lineage. So what happens now? Well, As a result, the agency has now directed Lineage to correct their cleanup numbers and reports to accurately reflect the progress that they've been making, which, as you mentioned, stands at ninety percent completion.
Speaker 3: You remember last week they put out a letter saying there were one hundred and one percent done with the cleanup, and we're like.
Speaker 4: What, I think they just make all of this up, don't they?
Speaker 8: Yes, versus the one hundred and one percent that the company.
Speaker 3: Every time they show these shots of Lineage, they show all of these aerosol spuares. Those aren't doing anything. It's outdoors.
Speaker 8: Put out initially that the Air Quality Management District says it's still conducting daily inspections of the facility. They're also reviewing the data on waste disposal, as well as doing independent assessments of emissions coming from this site. Now, Lineage has now missed two deadlines, one of them given by the city. Residents have been waiting for for two months now for the cleanup to be completed. Neighbors telling us they're just exhausted, exhausted by the stench and the flies surrounding their homes.
Speaker 7: Take a listen.
Speaker 4: It's not maybe as frequent as before, not consistent, but there will be at times.
Speaker 3: Well, it's where it still smells heavy.
Speaker 4: Poor girl can.
Speaker 2: At least go outside for a while. But I mean it's not a pleasant smell.
Speaker 4: So even the baby's upset about it. Yeah, i'd be crying too.
Speaker 8: Troublesome now right now, Michelle Cruz are still on site at Boyle Heights there gathering loose food that is still there at the facility. And they have another critical deadline coming up next week on the twenty seventh, that is when the entire completion of the cleanup is expected to wrap up.
Speaker 4: And no, they're not going to make that one either.
Speaker 2: If you're one of the workers that's cleaning up that facility, what do you do? You wear an astronaut outfit.
Speaker 8: As well as the disinfecting and deodorizing of the facility. And that is the very latest reporting line this morning from Diamond Bar. I'm going at Ariola four today in LA.
Speaker 7: Hopefully they can make that deadline. Annett, thank you so much for that update.
Speaker 4: Adam, Well, they.
Speaker 3: Missed the first two deadlines, so I don't think they're going to really make the third deadline. But the thing that's hilarious is last week they were one hundred and one percent done and now they're only ninety percent done.
Speaker 2: Well, if they missed the third deadline, maybe they can buy the coliseum in Oakland.
Speaker 3: There it doesn't look like it's going to get any better anytime soon. And even if they finished the cleanup, there still seems to be this residual smell that's like burned into the ground.
Speaker 4: Now, what do you do about that?
Speaker 2: Move?
Speaker 4: It's a very very good point.
Speaker 2: You know where it smells good? Where's that Pineapple Hill in the San Fernando Valley. Pineapple Hill Saloon and Grill, one of my favorite spots. We're gonna be there on Friday, September fourth, from noon to three on the patio. Come hang out with us as we all are there to talk about Prop forty three the Local Taxpayer Protection Act. Susan Shelley from the Howard Jarvis Taxpayer Association will join us. So make sure you come out and say hi, Get a beer, get a sandwich. You're gonna have a great time. Pineapple Hill a week from Friday, from noon to three. I am literally flying back from Santa Fe to make this remote and then I'm flying right back. So you better make it out there because I don't want to be the person who traveled the furthest to get there. And if you want to listen to the Accountability podcast, just go to Johnny don't Like dot com. You can find the Accountability podcast there and the podcast version of this live show. We also put that up there as well, so check it out. Click that line button. We'll see you tomorrow at noon right here on The John Phillips Show.