Speaker 1: Listen to V Sports Leader anytime anywhere. Tellnbode knbr V Sports Leader app. Murphin Marcus continued live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios. Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you just drop in one eight hundred gambler? All right?
Speaker 2: One of the traditions of summer is the Mike Sando Quarterback tiers list.
Speaker 3: Always fun to argue and debate.
Speaker 2: Heck, we even made a top ten quarterback list a couple of weeks ago. That's how content crazy we are. And we have him on the zoom on our new fancy zoom.
Speaker 3: Call here, Mike Sander, our buddy from the Athletic we'll see where brock Perty came in.
Speaker 1: Spoiler alert, tied for.
Speaker 2: Eleventh, did not crack the top ten, despite you and I a couple of homers putting him on our top ten list. So, Mike, welcome back to Murph and Marcus here on the Sports Leader in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Mike, Hey morning, Mike.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great.
Speaker 5: You know, the wife really likes the zoom thing because then I you know, I got to comb my hair and you know, take look halfway presentable.
Speaker 4: So thanks for you for your service.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, well you've always been a guy with the best connection in the business. That's always been like a hallmark of you. But now that we get to see ill cleaned up too, I would prefer you. You can come on with BedHead.
Speaker 3: You're good. You don't have to clean up for us.
Speaker 4: I got a haircut yesterday. Okay, you go.
Speaker 2: In honor of the tier, in honor of dropping the tears. He cleaned it up nicely. Okay, well let's start. There's so many different ways to go with that. Let's start with number one. It's Patrick Mahomes And I think there's almost like a narrative out there right now that is he number one? Right, i'd be like that coming off the injury and questions, do you tell me, were you surprised at all that he still is number one? From your And by the way, just making sure for people don't know, this is a vast survey of NFL executives in front office types, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fifty coaches and execs. I think there's eight gms, nine head coaches, maybe fifteen coordinators. You know a lot of people that prepare to face all these guys. So you know, obviously Mahomes gets a ton of respect somebody. You know, it's it's been said before. You know, he's sort of in the Brady seat. You know, Tom Brady like got to a point where he's just gonna be Tier one, Like you're not gonna it would take a lot of years of really bad play to get him out of there, right, And so he was. He was unanimous tier one until like one of my last ballots, one of the last ballots was a two, So he gets one two. He's still top of the survey. A ton of people have a ton of respect for him, and I think that.
Speaker 4: I like that. I like the fact that people just don't overreact on the short term.
Speaker 5: One of the points that was made in this was I went back and looked Joe Montana had three straight one and done starts in the playoffs. And if you go back and read and I've done it. I went back in the archives, read the you know, the chronicle and Glenn Dickey and guys writing about, you know, what was going on back then. There was some there was some angst and obviously they had Steve Young there and and there was talk and shoot, Tanna won the next two MVPs. You know, so I think people feel like Mahomes has earned that regard right that they could usually win the next two MVPs.
Speaker 6: Mike Murph and I were going through these exercise just a week or so ago. Listen out our top ten quarterbacks, and it seems like there's almost a consensus from the tier one quarterbacks, the top four to five quarterbacks in the league.
Speaker 3: But then it.
Speaker 6: Feels like once you get to that five, six to twelve thirteen range, you could pretty much shuffle and put together the list anyway you want.
Speaker 5: I believe that too, and at that point the list may say more about you and how you view the game, right, And so one of the things I did was, you know, break it down by hey, what did the coordinators think versus or what did the offensive coaches think versus defense? Right, what did the gms or personnel people think compared to others? I thought justin Herbert was pretty fascinating that way. You know, coming in at six, hasn't really done it yet in the playoffs, yet everybody would want to have them as their quarterback. Almost all the teams below Herbert would want to have them right.
Speaker 4: On their team.
Speaker 5: Might even trade their guy, even if they won a Super Bowl with them, Sam, Darnold, Joe and hurts that you'd rather have Herbert right, But it does get to be you could defend putting them lower.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Mike Sando does the great quarterback tiers and fifty NFL head coaches and front office and gms and executives and coordinators all ranking these quarterbacks. It's one of the most fun things to do in the NFL. Pat Mahomes number one. Before we get to Brock, I do want to talk about the fact that you say the four are locked in, and the four Josh Allen and Joe Burrow and Matt Stafford and Patrick Mahomes, And I'm a little surprised even I have I call it five. I still put Lamar there. You tell us what did the league say about Lamar? Why is he not in that same tier as those other guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, clearly last year wasn't as good for him, and his legs weren't there. You know, he didn't run.
Speaker 5: He still got what twenty twenty eight votes I believe in in twenty two votes in tier one. So you know a lot of guys forty percent of the panel basically little more than that are still putting him in Tier one. But his rushing yards went down to twenty five yards per game. It was fifty before that, and it was in the seventies before that, So what is he without that dynamic running ability? I think people feel like he's probably a high two mike.
Speaker 6: Getting down to brock Party at the number eleventh ranking in Tier two, he got one Tier one vote, thirty four Tier two votes, and fifteen Tier three votes. What do you think the league wide perspective is on brock Party going into year six.
Speaker 5: I think he's really established himself as an upper chier quarterback who is probably not going to go, you know, to into Tier one unless he would have really put it on his back and maybe do some things physically that you know, it's harder to do. But all the comments on him are pretty much positive. I think he's just he's had a career high number in this thing. Is his votes for the best they've ever been? I don't, But I don't think anyone's saying he's necessarily going to go to A one. I think still people still do give some credit, I think rightfully so to Kyle Shiannan who does a great job with the offense. But shoot, this is not a bad place to be. He's tied for eleventh with what is he tied with? Killer Williams?
Speaker 4: I believe m.
Speaker 5: And you know, you'd probably if I had to go with the next five games, I'd probably take Rock Purty, you know. Just he's going to play four good games, and I don't know how many Kileb Williams is gonna play. He might play one, he might play five. Right, He's a little all over the place probably still, But I think for the long term, you could see that Caleb Williams may pass him just on the talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say Caleb's probably needs a little more evidence. The pull quote you guys have on Brock it's pretty flattering. It's from a defensive coach. It says stronger than you think, faster than you think, better than you think, almost like a six million dollar man type of compliment.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 5: It shows you guys were right all the time, because that's what you were saying five years ago or three years ago when people were.
Speaker 4: Trying to put him in Tier three.
Speaker 5: He's stronger than you think, he's faster, he's better than you think.
Speaker 4: Right, And now people agree.
Speaker 2: It's his mobility that goes there too. We're talking to Mike Sando here, and you know, guys who moved up a tier are catching our eyes, guys, and these are guys who Marcus and I sort of disagreed on he had.
Speaker 3: You had Caleb in there, right yep? And I did not. And then I had Drake May and you did not.
Speaker 6: No, I did not.
Speaker 2: So what do you think the league those two young guys. One guy went to a super Bowl, the other guy didn't. But these two guys are kind of the with a bullet, aren't they? Drake May and Caleb Williams.
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 5: You know, I thought that there might be even more excitement around Drake May. I mean, just went to the super Bowl and all of that. I think it was solid excitement, But it wasn't like, oh, this guy's a one.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I think people still people feel good about him. They feel really good about him. So it'll be interesting to see. You know, some people may think he can go become a one. I think more people probably think Caleb Williams physically could become a one. I just don't know if the consistency, the consistency's going to be there with him. He is such a hold the ball player and for that matter, or Drake may takes a ton of sex, but it's hard to be consistent when you're using your legs all the time, and so that that could be something to watch for both those guys, but especially Caleb.
Speaker 6: Jordan Love is a man that is ranked one spot ahead of brock Party in these tier rankings at number ten overall. Now, I did have him as a top ten quarterback, one spot behind brock Party at number nine in my rankings. But Mike, what do you think the maybe difference is between a Jordan Love and a brock Party. Is there a thought that maybe Jordan Love has a higher ceiling with his athleticism or why do you think he's one spot ahead.
Speaker 4: Of Brock How much this draft day still matter? Yeah? Good, Yes, I do think that there's some of that.
Speaker 5: I do think, And look, there's a reason why guys go in the first round physically. You know, there's a difference between the two and it could be that simple. But certainly the production of Brock Party has been probably more consistent for a longer period of time. You know, is there a huge difference between ten and tied for eleventh. Not really, I mean they're super close to each other. But again, that could be one where people think that love has a chance to go high.
Speaker 2: Mike Sander's voice you hear from the Athletic and see him on our zoom too on a YouTube here he dropped the quarterback tears column, which has gone through the years has prettier and prettier graphics, by the way, with it. This is the one that forty nine ers fans love to hate. Dak Prescott and Marcus didn't even put him in his top ten. I think it was out of spite. I sure did. He went up five spots at this point in his career. Huh, getting that much better? Tell us about what the league said.
Speaker 4: That's probably my biggest surprise on the whole thing.
Speaker 5: I mean, you could always lock him in at ten or twelve something like that, and he's good, and then it doesn't happen in the playoffs, and you know, you can debate was their defense as Jerry Jones, you know, but.
Speaker 4: He just hadn't done it.
Speaker 5: You've been around that long and haven't made a bigger dent in the playoffs. I think a certain the patience kind of runs out on you. And I think that's happened with some with with Justin Herbert over a much shorter period of time, and they're up big on Jackson, phony blows, they blow the game. So I was a little bit surprised that he enched up. Now when you really look at how he played last year, a lot of great players around.
Speaker 4: Him and hold him back. I had to hold him back in this thing. Yeah, he really shot up, Mike.
Speaker 6: It's funny. We just had our good friend Matt Mayoko on the show just the other week and we were talking about these rankings and he said, Dak Prescott might be the most overrated and the most underrated quarterback in the NFL. Do you think that shit's kind of due to the cowboy fatigue we hear so much about each and every day.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 4: I think that's some of it. I do.
Speaker 5: And then this the gap between you know, when he's healthy as regular season production is really good and they haven't done anything in the playoffs, and you know, last year, I'm not going to blame him for that because their defense was horrible, but there's always something right. And I think over a long enough period of time, you would expect there to be some better team results.
Speaker 2: There's some interesting a lot of local. All politics is local, and all quarterbacks are local. Jared Goff, he grew up in Marine County. I went to Marine Catholic High School in Nevado, California, President Resident, and then of course played at cal Berkeley. He's still despite the lines taking a little bit of a step back since their NFC Championship appearance, still top ten, tied for eighth. What was the feeling on Goff because there are some people that would knock him Mike, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that he's fully recovered though from the Sean McVay rejection, right, I mean, I think that hurt him and he was a little bit of a low there, the fact that he you know, there's nothing he does with us like magic with his legs or you know, he really does need it needed to be pretty good around him. But when it is good around him, he is really really good and great decision maker with the football. I talk to people that you know, had had seen him in person and came away more impressed because you can kind of see running of the whole operation. That's really what people see of Dak Prescott. The guy runs the whole thing, and it's hard to find. So many of these quarterbacks are you know, you can debate that they're a product of the system or somebody propping them up, but there are guys doing all this stuff at the line of scrimmage. And if you're super talented doing that, you're Stafford and you're in the top tier. But I think a couple of these guys, like Goff and even Prescott are benefiting from the fact that that's not really the trend in the league with guys coming out of college, and so there's an appreciateiation for the guy who is up the line of scrimmage and really in charge of the thing, as opposed to being more of a product of it.
Speaker 6: Mike, last question for me circling back to the forty nine Ers offense and brock Purty last year. Obviously, injuries were a big concern. They've got George Kittle recovering from an achilles injury. Ricky Piersol is now out for the season with the PCL surgery. Mike Evans, Dejon Struben, Christian Christian kirk are Deale with minor injuries in camp right now. They just brought back Deebo Samuel. So that's a long way of me asking you where do you think the forty nine Ers offense is going to be this year? Where brock Purty in the addition of Mike Evans.
Speaker 4: I'm worried now.
Speaker 5: A lot of people really applauded that move to get him, but he missed a bunch of the year last year. I think the the odds are the Bucks you know, got out. Probably they didn't get out a year too late, right, They probably.
Speaker 4: Got out on time. And so, uh, you know, I.
Speaker 5: Was already worried about Christian McCaffrey because the other two times he led the league in touches, he had injuries the next year. So now he's obviously older than he was then, And you know, are we taking him for granted right where all the focuses on the wide receivers. But yeah, Kittle coming off with the injury. Evans, who probably even if he isn't missing time right now, I would tell you he's going to miss games this year. Pearceall now is out. I'm definitely worried, and I'm sure forty Niner fans are too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff, Mike. And the last one for me is non Niners. It's Jalen Hurts. This guy won a Super Bowl, Super Bowl MVP. I'm correct, isn't he superl Yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's played great in Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: Guy has declined eight spots, like plummeting from number nine down to number seventeen. Man talk about the quote. The pull quote you guys have is his best players are off schedule. This is a defensive coach. It will become less sustainable as he gets older. So the knock is that he's just a he's an off schedule guy who as aged.
Speaker 4: Who has had those monster super Bowls. You can't take it away away from it.
Speaker 5: But you don't feel like that's what got him there, right the great offensive line, what do they had Sae Kwon bark He or not, you know, a really good defense This last year. People just feel like, if you can make him throw the ball a lot, he can't execute all of the throws the rock Perdy can even in an offense just boom boom, boom, boom boom. It's got to be you know, the slant or the go ball. And he was able to hit those in the Super Bowl and make huge plays over the top of the heads of the Chiefs. But do you feel like he's a consistent driver of your offense, especially if it were to fall off around him, which it has a little bit. Nobody really thinks that, And.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Do you think that they're eager to sign him to a raise with a big extension.
Speaker 3: Would you beat? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting texts, interesting texts. We'll see what happens in Philly for sure. Well, listen, there's so much to go through. We didn't even get to number thirty five, shdur Sanders.
Speaker 3: You didn't get to him.
Speaker 6: Where's my guy Fernando on that list?
Speaker 3: Well, you know who's number twenty eight? Is it twenty eight?
Speaker 2: So you kind of down there in the weeds there. Buddy Marcus is a Raiders fan. Mike, it's great, it's awesome, it's pretty to look at, it's fun, it's easy to access.
Speaker 3: In the Athletic.
Speaker 2: Everybody go check out the quarterback tiers by Mike Sando. Thanks for hopping on and cleaning up for us. We appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Thanks, Mike.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, let's do it again during the season.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Mike Sandal good stuff from the Athletic. Well, listen, Brock is climbing he's up there, man, Jalen Hurst gets not a ton of love. Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, his game's kind of dropped off a little bit, and they've been losing some pieces.
Speaker 2: And the guy I wanted to get into my top ten just I was trying to find a way wound up fourteenth.
Speaker 3: And that's Baker Mayfield. Baker.
Speaker 2: The quote, the pull quote they have on him is streakiest player in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Baker is a baller. When he's on, he's on.
Speaker 6: But yeah, there are times where a Baker does not look like a top ten quarterback.
Speaker 3: And then of course you go, what did I rank nineteenth? Oh man, let's shut that's what the media was said.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna I'm gonna plead the fifth on that one.
Speaker 3: Mark who put me nineteenth?
Speaker 2: Doctor Fauci must have been a uspn it be must have been the main Tony.
Speaker 6: He must have been.
Speaker 3: Tony must have been Fauci.
Speaker 2: Listen, we wish him well with this family reconciliation. Okay, back to the reaction to the Giants trade deadline. Man, oh man, I can't believe it. Some people angry about the Luis Arise trade.
Speaker 3: At least a couple people in my orbit not me. We'll get into it. Eightaway camber is the phone number.
Speaker 2: Ramos is a Yankee, Arise as a Philly Robbie Ray is a Padre. Eric Miller is a Red Sox. Eightaway cambiar is the phone number. How'd they do stack up the calls?
Speaker 6: On?
Speaker 3: Esports Leader KMBRB Sports Leader