Speaker 1: As you were listening to V Sports Leader in middays, here is Larry Krueger.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Larry Krueger with you on this Thursday, I'm the Sports Leader and joining us on the u mcgest line, Tom Rathman, Roger Craig is part of the twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Six Hall of Fame class.
Speaker 2: He had to wait way too long, but he's going in Saturday, and I am so thrilled. And we've got Tom Rathman with us on the line to talk a little bit about it. Tom, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great.
Speaker 5: How are you doing, Larry.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, Tom, I'm doing so great. I was so excited to hear this. The Niners, for whatever reason, are underrepresented. The Niner dynasty of the eighties and nineties doesn't have the Hall of Fame representation that the Steelers of the seventies have that the Packers of the sixties have. And I think it's maybe due to the fact that Walsh died way too young. I think he would have been an advocate for a number of guys, and one of them is Roger Craig. But he's going in this weekend. And you guys made an incredible backfield together. How do you feel about it.
Speaker 5: I'm really excited for Roger. I mean it's something that he's really been looking forward to and has earned, you know, throughout his years of playing football, not only on the field, but off the field. You know, I've worked out with this guy going back to Nebraska. We were together at the University of Nebraska back in Lincoln, and a very selfless, selfless player is what he is. When I was in there on my freshman year, his junior year, he was a starting eyeback and the iback gets all the fame, gets all the carries. And we had a guy his senior year, Rogers senior year, a guy from Cotiville, Kansas, a guy named Mike Roseier came in and we had two great ibacks, and they asked Roger to go and play fullback, and he played fullback his senior year as Mike Rosier played the half back position. So that's how selfless he is as far as a player. But no question about it. It well overdue either, no question. And you know I've kind of questioned the process of picking players to go in, even coaches. I mean, you talk about Belichick last year didn't get in. I mean he was a first ballot guy, but I mean just the process. I mean, it just has to be questioned. And that's something that really concerns me.
Speaker 2: You know, Rogers, you know, so you know, the humility of the man. I almost feel like his humility worked against him here. He was such a humble, easygoing guy. You know, you guys, there's only one football to go around, and when you play with the greatest statistical entity of all time and Jerry Rice, your numbers are going to be suppressed. And his numbers were suppressed from working with you know, you know, playing with Jerry. Nothing against Jerry, but it just Roger's humble nature. I think, you know, it's maybe one of the reasons he had to wait so long.
Speaker 5: I mean, at the same time, when you look at that, when you talk about throwing the football as opposed to running the football, Roger was very involved in the passing game too. He was the first one hundred yes or one thousand thousand guy, So you have to get him credit there. And you know, there's other players that have accomplished that just recently, but he was one of the first guys to do it. And to be able to do that and make that statement as a player, stating that he's a well rounded football player, had no weaknesses, could catch the ball, could run the ball, could block anything needed from a player, he was capable of doing it. And not only that just doing on the field. He had great leadership. You know, I kind of followed in his footsteps, you know, from day one, you know, going back to Nebraska when we were together we met each other, he let me hang out with him, him and Jamie Williams. They were seniors and they were letting the freshman hang out with him. So I was really really grateful for that. And then when I got to the forty nine ers, he kind of took me under my wing, under his wing and taught me the trade of being a pro football player.
Speaker 3: Tom, you're a friend of his.
Speaker 2: You know, some guys Drew Pearson openly complained about not getting in. How do you think Roger feels about the weight and how do you think he ultimately feels about getting his day tomorrow or Saturday.
Speaker 5: I should say, well, I think the weights off his shoulders because he did get in this year. I mean, I think just every year that goes by that you don't get in when you have the numbers when you have the value of a player that should be in there. I mean, that's got a way puns on your shoulders not being able to get in. But you know, finally they made it happen, and I know Rogers is going to be really grateful for it.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Tom Rathman on the Yuma guest Line. I got to mention this because I think, Tom, you are involved in maybe the best, the greatest play, and maybe the Niners' greatest win of all time.
Speaker 3: I view the Niners' greatest win of all time.
Speaker 2: I know they's Super Bowls, but that win in the NFC Championship game in nineteen eighty eight, and if people forget how the Niners put that bad boy away. It was third and thirteen and Walsh ran you off tackle and you got fourteen in ice the game, Scott, I mean, where does that play stand in your football career? I mean that was the run.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that game, you know is up there very high with the Super Bowls obviously, but you know, we were going into a hostile environment where it was very cold. Wind chill was like twenty six twenty seven below zero wind chill, and people thought that the California team was going to have a tough time, you know, adjusting to the cold weather. But you know, Roger and I played in at Nebraska together and we were in cold weather all the time, so it really didn't bother us. And you know, we just made sure that all our teammates understood what we were up against. You know, the cold weather is nothing, you know what I'm saying. Worry about your job and do it at a high level. And I think that's what everybody did. And that's the one reason we beat him. I think we beat him. Twenty eight to three is a game, and so but what a great game that was. That was it opportunity to get to the Super Bowl, my first super Bowl. Obviously Roger had been to two other ones and was successful in him. But it was great being a teammate of Rogers. Just being able to go and play in two Super Bowls together and win both of them. It really was meaningful to me.
Speaker 2: Wood he would you ever have believed when you first met Craig at Nebraska that he was going to have this kind of a Hall of Fame NFL career. I mean, he really worked his way to his This is a workmanlike Hall of Fame resume that did he put together.
Speaker 5: You don't know how hard Roger Craig worked. His whole process was just amazing. The guy knew how to take care of himself. I mean he would get massages twice a week, he would get chiropractic care two times a week, took care of his body, did the weight training, did the offseason work, had no shortcuts, and he should have been in way before twenty twenty six. So that's the thing that's so disappointing to me when you know you got a player that put in what he put in the way he handled himself as a professional athlete. The trail that he blazed was amazing, and I'm just glad that I was able to follow in his footsteps.
Speaker 3: Man, we're all so proud of this moment. Tom.
Speaker 2: Thanks for jumping on KMBR today and talking about your former teammate. We really appreciate your time and hopefully we'll catch up with you down the road. We wish you nothing but success in post career, and thanks again for jumping on the leader.
Speaker 5: All right, Larry, thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: Tom Rathman, one of the most workmen like players in Niner history, tough as nails, and him and Craig were a great tandem. All right, We're not done talking Roger Craig. We're just getting started. Randy Cross probably belongs in the Hall of Fame himself. Randy Cross blocked for Roger Craig. He's going to join us next on The Sports Leader a NBR one four.
Speaker 1: Five six eighty The Sports Leader. Now back to The Sports Leader Middays with your host Larry Krueger.
Speaker 2: Hey, we keep things rolling on this Thursday. Larry Kruger with you on The Sports Leader. And it was great to talk a little Roger Craig with Tom Rathman. Roger Craig going to the Hall of Fame Hall of Fame Class.
Speaker 3: Of twenty twenty six, and.
Speaker 2: Man, I cannot be There's almost nobody I'd be happier for than Roger. Just a first class guy all the way through, and really really happy that he's going to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: It's long over due.
Speaker 2: And I've said this for a long time that the forty nine Ers dynasty is underrepresented. Just go look at the numbers. It's all right there for everybody to see. The forty nine Ers have you know, the number of guys that they have in the Hall of Fame is pales compared to the other teams out there. And I'm not sure exactly why the forty nine Ers are underrepresented in the Hall of Fame, but they are. I mean, if you look at the they were the dominant dynasty of the nineteen eighties. Their dynasty ran into the nineteen nineties, and you think of all that dominance, and who's in from the eighties nine Ers, Joe, Jerry, Steve Young, Ronnie Lott, that's it. And now Roger Craig, go look at how many Green Bay Packers are in from the sixties packers. Go look at how many these Pittsburgh Steelers are in from the seventies Steelers. The Niners dynasty lasted longer than the Packer dynasty. Landa definitely lasted longer than the Steeler dynasty as far as the super Bowler is concerned. And I just feel like the Forden Enters, for whatever reason, are underrepresented. It underrepresented in the Hall of Fame. And Roger Craig, I really believe if Walsh had not died, you know, kind of early in life, he had so much his opinion carried such weight that Roger would have been in the Hall of Fame. I mean, he's the first guy of the first member of the thousand thousand, thousand yards rushing, thousand yards.
Speaker 3: Receiving in a season. It's been done like three times since.
Speaker 2: The league's like a total passing league, and yet nobody's got thousand thousand except for CMC Marshall, Falk, Roger Craig.
Speaker 3: I think that's it, right, or is there one more?
Speaker 2: Might be one more, but I mean, nobody ever made the Pro Bowl as both a fallback and a halfback.
Speaker 3: Roger did. It was just a long overdue.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at the team of the eighties, team of the nineties, team of the two thousands, all the running backs on those all decade teams are in the Hall of Fame except Roger Craig, I mean, which is amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean, he truly changed football.
Speaker 2: He revolutionized the position of running back, and not to mention he was an incredible ambassador for the sport. My argument has always been that I think the argument is really the opposite.
Speaker 3: The argument people make.
Speaker 2: Is like, oh, well, you know he benefited he played with Jerry No no, no, no, no, no, he didn't benefit he actually that actually cost him stats. Jerry Rice is the greatest statistical entity the NFL's ever seen. I mean, he's got some records that to this day are unapproached.
Speaker 3: And yet it's a.
Speaker 2: Passing league more now than ever before. And yet Jerry's numbers still stand. Why because Cherry Jerry's numbers are are astronomical. I mean, Jerry was motivated partially by insecurity, for fear of failure and everything. He needed the ball, and Walsh got it, See forgot it. All the Niner people got it, and they fed him the ball, where Roger, I think, was a little bit more like, hey, you know what, I just want to win, you know, not that he didn't want the ball. He wanted the ball, but it's only one ball. Like you go into an NFL locker room. How many times do you go into an NFL locker room after a win and there's a two hundred yard receiver and one hundred and fifty yard rusher on the same in the same game.
Speaker 3: It doesn't usually doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: If somebody goes for two hundred yards receiving, the leading rusher might go for seventy four yards. It was a passing game. If somebody runs for two hundred and ten yards like Rico Doubtell did last year, there's probably not a receiver that has big, gaudy numbers sitting right there in the same game.
Speaker 3: There's only one football.
Speaker 2: So the argument that Jerry he made Roger is absolutely can turn that on its ear.
Speaker 3: Jerry cost Roger.
Speaker 2: Jerry's awesomeness cost Waters, he costs Brent Jones, he cost John Taylor.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's.
Speaker 2: Nothing nefarious going on here, but I'm just saying Jerry's numbers suppressed. The Hall of Fame resumes of like three other niners, and those.
Speaker 3: Guys should go in.
Speaker 2: You know, we're attempting to chase down Randy Cross.
Speaker 3: Randy Cross is in root though to Canton, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Randy lives in I believe, Alfaretta, Georgia, but he's flying today to Canton to go be there for Roger Craig in the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies over the weekend. So way to go, Randy. And if we can catch up with Randy, awesome. If we can't, I totally get it. Randy's been on a bunch of times in the past, but we love Randy. Randy probably has an argument of his own for the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, Mike Webster's in there.
Speaker 2: Randy Cross a three time Pro bowler, He's a three time Super Bowl champion. You know, this guy was an amazing football player. He's in the College Football Hall of Fame. You could make an argument that Randy Cross belongs in the.
Speaker 3: Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Not to mention, there's lots of niners sense, like, you know Frank Gore, Heck, the Cowboy was great to see Willis get in. I'll give you another one that I really believe is a Hall of Fame player.
Speaker 3: I believe Michael Carter was a Hall of Fame player.
Speaker 2: Olympic silver medallists in the eighty four Games, and then maybe the greatest noseguard of his era. I mean, who's a better noseguard than Michael Carter. I have a relationship a friendship with Tim Krumrae, who was played against Carter in Super Bowl twenty three. He also was an awesome nose guard. And when I talked to Krumrie, Crumblise like, Michael Carter is the greatest.
Speaker 3: Nose guard ever.
Speaker 2: And this is a guy who played the position and knew it well, so you know, for whatever reason, you know, took Craig forever and he had to wait way longer than he should have. Eventually, Gore is going to get in because he's the third leading rusher of all time. But from the eighties Niners to be as underrepresented as as they are as a franchise, it's just it's just wrong. I mean, there should be more than just you know, the guys they have in there, and Roger getting in is long, long overdue, long overdue. So I'm really thrilled for Roger. We're gonna talk more about it with South pal Antonio, who's going to join us at one o'clock. But man, Roger Craig, I'm so happy for Roger Craig. I was doing a Niner pregame show a number of years ago now with John Lund and Dennis Brown, and I said to them, I said, hey, guys, do you mind if I do kind of like a segment where I just do like an ode to Roger and just make the case for Roger to be a Hall of Famer. And of course Dennis, you know, Dennis like absolutely, and John Lensy absolutely. I want to hear it, So, I mean, I put together every possible argument point. You know, he's first AE thousand thousand. You know, he was the on the All Decade team. He's the only guy in the history of the NFL who played in the Pro Bowl as a running back and as a fallback. You could argue that the eighty four Niners might have been the greatest Niner team of all time. Who was the best player in the Super Bowl in the eighty four you know, for the eighty four nine Ers in January of eighty five, Well, Joe got the MVP, but it was Roger Craig. Roger Craig had three touchdowns in that game. Roger Craig, I think hat over one hundred receiving yards in that game. Roger Craig was the MVP of Super Bowl nineteen.
Speaker 3: But the game.
Speaker 2: And that's all right, you know, nobody's nobody's disappointed that, you know, Joe is the MVP, but man, that was You could argue that Roger Craig was the best player in the best game for the best Niner team, and he gets left off the Hall of Fame. Really, I mean, you think about the guys that Andre Reid was in the Hall of Fame before Roger Craig. Make that make sense. Andre Reid lost every Super Bowl he ever played in. Andre Reid didn't didn't set thousand, thousand levels that nobody else reached. Andre Reid is in the Hall of Fame before Roger Craig. So there's it's been, you know, I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if it's just because we're out here on the West coast, if the people back east, you know, thet a lot of the voters maybe didn't see that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell you why the Niners are underrepresented, but they are. There's no doubt they are. Randy Cross probably belongs in. Roger Craig definitely belongs in. He's going in. But there's probably a few others in there that you could make really good arguments for as well. Some really great football players are being left off. And I just look at that Green Bay list, and I'm looking at that Pittsburgh list, and yeah, Pittsburgh got some amazing players.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong, and I'm not trying.
Speaker 2: To put their players down, but when you really think about the forty nine Ers won ten games almost every single year, between nineteen eighty one and like nineteen ninety nine. I mean, think about that, it's almost a twenty year run of winning ten plus games. Now, granted they were in a lousy division, but that aside. I mean, the forty nine Ers dynasty went on and on and on.
Speaker 3: When Joe was.
Speaker 2: Drafted in seventy nine, Steve, you know, was awesome in ninety five. I mean, that's a long time. They were basically on top that entire time. So I'm so happy for Roger Craig. So I did this whole breakdown of Roger Craig should be in the Hall of Fame, and I laid out every argument, and a guy, you know from fort Ninder Webzone, Mark Adams, heard it and said, I'm gonna take the ball and run with this.
Speaker 3: And Mark really did. He's going to join us tomorrow on the show.
Speaker 2: He put together just an incredible, you know video where he interviewed Eddie d and Young and Joe and Ronnie and all of Roger's teammates and some of the guys who played against Roger, and he put together this incredible argument video argument for Roger Craig to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: And then South pal Antonio, Mike Matt Mayoko and.
Speaker 2: Others kind of ran with it and pushed Roger across the finish line. And I'm just so so happy for Roger. Craig so thrilled that he's he's getting in because it is long overdue. He was one of the greatest running backs. He's a pioneer. He's a pioneer. He's one of the greatest niners of all time. Not to mention, you know, his training regimen was legend. I mean truly stuff of legend. It's funny too because Jerry Rice when they talked to Jerry, they always say, oh, and.
Speaker 3: Jerry ran the hills.
Speaker 2: That was Rogers run that Rogers said, hey, Jerry, come on out, I bet you can't run this hill. And then Jerry's like, yeah, I'm gonna run out. I'm gonna go out there and do it. And he did it, and then Jerry kept doing it. But Jerry's greatness took Rogers Hill away from Roger.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And then a lot of people, you know, the for years, I kept hearing this, Well, you know, Krug he fumbled in the ninety NFC Championship game.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: We're gonna take a three time Super Bowl champion, a guy was the NFL Offensive Player of the Year, the guy who was a first team All Pro and we're gonna say he fumbled in the ninety NFC Title Game and he can't go to the Hall. That is crazy, crazy, Kyle Chung, did you say something in my ear? All right, let's do this. We do what We've hooked up with Randy Cross. So we'll do this. We'll come back. We'll talk a little ball with Randy Cross. Next on Roger Craig on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: I remember watching you.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Larry Kruger with you on the Sports Leader on a Thursday and joining us on the Yuma guest line to talk a little bit about Roger Craig going to the Hall of Fame as a guy who probably also belongs in the Hall of Fame, and that's Randy Cross, former Niner offensive lineman, three time Pro Bowl or, three time champion, former U C. L. A. Brewin, and a fantastatic announcer post career, and he's with us on the Uma guest line. Randy, great to talk to you again.
Speaker 4: How are you I'm doing great. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Well, what does this mean for you? I know, it's a great day, Freddie d. It's a great day for Niner fans. We all have tremendous pride that forty nine ers going into the Hall of Fame. It's it's too late, it's it's probably years too late for whatever reason. But I'm thrilled that he's going in, and I'm sure you are as well. As a once great Niner. You're on your way to Canton. Man, that's awesome that you're going to go support Roger.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean, realistically, it's having him go in as close as I'm going to get to being in the Hall of Fame. He's, you know, one of the one of the signature style players besides Joe and Jerry and some of the rest that were on those great offenses. And you know, being alignman, you sort of live by care anyway, You're not you're not into the stats and the glory and all that. Offensive linemen are a little bit different. But Roger, besides being an amazing player with an unbelievable work ethic, I can I can say he is the nicest human being. I had the honor of playing with.
Speaker 2: Wow, that and that's saying something. You're right though, he's assault of the earth, human being. And Randy, I'm so glad that we have you here because you predated Walsh and Joe and we're part of the forty nine ers in the late seventies when it was a when you know, tickets were plentiful, and you know, there were an awful lot of coaches in that run.
Speaker 3: And I remember watching you, you know, you on the field.
Speaker 2: After I guess maybe it was your third and final Super Bowl, and even after eighty one, you know in Pontiac, it's like you have true appreciation for where the franchise had been and where it was. How much pride do you take in being part of you know, seeing that thing go from the outhouse to the penthouse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, besides you know, marrying my wife and my kids. It was sort of the the honor of my life is getting to be a Niner and getting to accomplish some of the things that we did, especially in light of how bad we were, you know, back to back two and fourteen seasons and everything. You know, the empty stadium, you know, everyone always glorified Candlestick and it was an amazing place to play when people were there, But boy, it was a lonely sucker when it was just when it when it was just the faithful that I say all the time. You know, we played some games in December in those terrible years where there was like twenty five thousand people than Candlestick. You know, it was basically the Lower Bowl. Those were the faithful that showed up in the rain in December to see the Niners play. But yeah, to get that good and be able to do what we did, it was it was just an incredible honor and it gave you such a great perspective once the winning started, you know there and I bore no grudge to anybody that got there late and did nothing but win. But sure it sure did go a long way towards making you truly treasure the chance to win, get double digits in a season, and to go to the playoffs and the win playoff games and the win Super Bowls. It was just a little a little more special. And you know, I'll be seeing mister d later on. He's on his way to Campton, and you know that's another guy that I owe the world to, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Randy Cross with us on the Yuma guest Line. I was talking to a baseball executive about a month ago about some great players that he had drafted, and he said, you know, the key to great teams is not just great players, it's great people. And you know, it's really hard sometimes to to find great people. But I think that's kind of where Roger comes into the focus here. I mean, he was not He's not just a great football player, he's a great person.
Speaker 3: And you kind of already hit on it. Where do you think character?
Speaker 2: You know, ranks among you know, when you're talking about great attributes of Hall of Fame players, they're not all choir boys. There's some rough guys that are in the Hall of Fame. Heck, there's some rough X niners that are in the Hall of Fame. But but character is a huge part and accountability is a huge part about being a great football player, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I mean it's it's you're you're you're born with the athletic ability, but you know, you're parents give you that ability to take advantage of it and the way you're raised, and it's not always parents. Sometimes it's an an and sometimes it's a grandparent. But you know, having that that basis, that stable foundation, I think is invaluable. And that's something that Roger had. Roger, Roger had a unbelievable work ethic, and you know, he had that ability to appreciate every single little thing that he was able to do. And you know, you can't say that about a lot of players. I think, I think personalities and that that type of indescribables, you know, the parts you can't quantify, are probably the most important part of evaluation. You can anybody can read Staff. Anybody can watch the tape and say, look at that guy run or look at that guy block. But you know, the character is going to make you laugh. Character, the character will get you a double digit career.
Speaker 3: That's It's a great point.
Speaker 2: You played guard and center and and we're great at both. Really, Roger, I don't know if young Niner fans understand this, but Roger played full back when the Niners had Wendell Tyler at running back, and then Roger played running back when Tom Rathman, who was our guest earlier in the show, played full back. He was a Pro Bowl halfback and a Pro Bowl full back. I mean that's hard to do. I mean, maybe you could speak to to to that because I mean it's not like Randy. We we've been watching football for decades. We've still to this day. I mean maybe the guy who's a Pro bowler at full back in half back, it hasn't happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you just don't say it. And he did both at Nebraska. He was the blocking back for Mike Rozier when Rosier won the Heisman Trophy. I mean he and that was part of the evaluation process that you know, and give preditor to John McVay and Bill and everybody else associated. Billy Matthews, who was the running back coach, saw that guy and saw the fact that he can run like that and he could catch like that, and that versatility was what made him so special. I mean, we didn't have, you know, a fullback and a half back when we had Wendell and him, or when we had he and Tom, we had two running backs because they both caught like crazy. That's what you remember about Rathman. He was a halacious blocker, but he was also a really good receiver for a fullback. And Roger his ability to catch some of those one handed snags that he made. You know, that's that's just something that the people that go into that evaluation process, they come out if you get a guy like a in baseball, I guess you would you call it a five tool player. That's that's Roger.
Speaker 2: He his thousand thousand let's talk about that. I think it was eighty seven. Is that's unright? Eighty seven thousand thousand.
Speaker 3: Or eighty five?
Speaker 2: He was just yeah, you're right, because eighty five, because you guys, I remember at in the playoffs, I felt like he didn't have a lot left. What did you did you have any takeaways from that thousand thousand season? I mean, Randy, your guys, offense, you could flip it to Roger in the flat. He would turn that into an eighteen to twenty five yard game on the regular. I mean, it was an it was it seemed like an easy play for Joe to complete, or an easy pass for him to complete, but it was always very, very profitable for the offense. What was your takeaway from watching that?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, that offense spoke to two things in my mind, and first and foremost, it was the genius of Bill And you know, he's the one that put people in those positions, and he was fortunate enough to have a facilitator like Joe that could get that ball to those various spots. And then when you have a running back, you know, like like Tom and Wendell and Roger, and then the receivers like Jerry and Dwight and Treddie and whatnot, you can be as creative as you want because there's no limit to what you can try. I mean, whatever your imagination could come up with him. He came up with some pretty pretty amazing stuff. Some of it was stuck and some of it that didn't. But yeah, that's that's what I remember about that time the most.
Speaker 2: What do you remember first about Roger because you were there The Niners drafted him in the second round of the eighty three draft, and you know, as a rookie, he's you know, he's walking into an offense that has Bill Walsh, that has Joe Montana. These guys had rings at this point. Do you remember your first recollections of Craig.
Speaker 4: What unbelievable condition he was in. You know, every time from the first camp I saw him in, he and Jerry had one thing in common. Every time they gave him the ball they ran to the end zime they did, so it almost got to the point where the coaches couldn't have an offensive drill on the far half of the field because they go eighty yards to touchdown, they have to run back. So you had to do your drills like a thirty forty yard field if you wanted to get more plays in because they were going to score with the damn ball. And you know, their offseason workedouts and all that were legendary too. So that was part of what made him so special. And that was from the very jump, the very very beginning, he was in such good shape. That's why he could survive. I mean, you asked the guys that have done that thousand thousand three, Yeah, they'll tell you from a physical standpoint, that could be the ultimate challenge is to be able to catch that many passes. Why you're running for that many yards.
Speaker 2: Eddie d talks about the Niners as a family, and I thought his Hall of Fame speech was maybe the best Hall of Fame speech I'd ever heard, because he stood up there and he said, you know what we need to do better.
Speaker 3: As a league.
Speaker 2: We need to treat these guys, the players as family, not when they can do something for us, when they can't do something for us. And he created that Golden Heart Fund, and I know there's a lot of Niners pasted in present that take a lot of pride in that Golden Heart Fund, which is basically for people don't know.
Speaker 3: The Niners have established kind of a you know, they.
Speaker 2: Call it a hand up, not a handout, where they're going to establish a fund that helps the players that played for the Niners post career. And I was talking to Keena Turner and Guy McIntyre about it. Last year there was a Niner x Niner players house burned down, and you know, he's dealing with insurance companies and the Golden Heart Fund got him that money that he needed to to get through that tragedy.
Speaker 3: And it's all stems from Eddie D.
Speaker 2: And Eddie D talks about that family and it's but he actually, you know, put his money where his mouth is and.
Speaker 3: He walks the walk, so to speak.
Speaker 2: What do you think about that, Randy, Because this is a league that spits you up and chews you up and spits you out when you can't help you when the you know, when you can't help your team anymore, you're of no use to most teams. But the Niners have separated themselves with the Golden Heart Fund.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, yeah, I think you're right. It's it's incredible and it speaks a to the heart of not only Eddie, but you know, even the current the current Niner organization that's kept this going. And it also speaks to the need, because there's an incredible need. But unfortunately it also speaks to the lack of sight on behalf of the other team because unfortunately there aren't thirty two Golden Herd funds. There should be thirty two because there's a huge burning knees for that. But the rest of the league looked at it. They can't say they don't know that it's good. They just choose not to limit, not to emulate.
Speaker 5: It, and to install their own.
Speaker 4: Version in their cities. And you know, it's it's sad. I tell you, the owner that along with Eddie that was legendary and taking care of his players was across the Bay at that time, and Al Davis. Al Davis really he was taking care of players back in the seventies, in the sixties and the eighties. I mean he was incredible, and that's something you know. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in some of the conversations he had with Eddie, because they had a lot more in common than people realize, besides the burning desire to always be a winner.
Speaker 2: You know, since we have you here, I almost feel abligated to ask you. You played in an era of so many great teams, right, I mean, you know, the eighty one nine Ers were a great team, you know, but the Redskins in the early eighties were damn good. And then there was the eighty five Bears, maybe the standard bearer for defensive football. Then there was the eighty six Giants, Then there was the eighty seven Redskins, and then there was the Cowboys of the early nineties. Heck, you went up against all these teams. What's the most daunting? What was the who was the most intimidating opponent.
Speaker 3: Of your era?
Speaker 2: I mean, which of those teams do you look at as like, oh my god, we climbed that mountain, we beat that team, we vanquished them.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Great ones there, Randy. I mean, you could give any answer, nobody would question it.
Speaker 4: I think both the Giants and the Bears were opponents that God as God as much as they gave, if you will, and we got a good bit ourselves. I mean, we had some great playoff wins against the Giants, and some great playoff wins against the Bears, even in Chicago where people said it was bare weather and you couldn't win in that situation. But yeah, I mean I would change. I challenge people all the time. I said there was one period in football the eighty four nine Ers, the eighty five Bears, and the eighty six Giants. Those three teams. I don't think there has ever been three more dominant teams back to back to back in the history of this league. I mean, if there is, I'd like to hear about it, because I don't think they exist.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I'm with you on that one. Hey, on the way out the door, Randy Roger will be busy. There'll be lots of people there to see him. But if you get a minute with Roger this weekend, as a former teammate, as somebody who probably loves them a lot, what do you have you thought about what you want to say to Roger face to face.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give him a big hug and a kiss and tell him I love him. He's he's the best. I've got a sculpture downstairs at my house that Eddie commissioned, and I've got one, and Eddie's got one, and Rogers got one. It's called Leading the Way. It's me pulling out in front of Roger. We both had to sit for it by the artist. It's the same guy does all the busts for Canton. But I was looking at that this morning before we left and I was That's all I could think about, was, you know, he is such a great player. But you know I could thank him, but he knows that. I mean, I just want to let want him to know that I love him.
Speaker 2: Awesome stuff, man, Randy, we want to see you in that Hall of Fame. I know you're you're you're You're said that you're not gonna make it, and you're probably right, But you know what, I think the the Niners are underrepresented. You could make a great argument for yourself. I think you can make a great argument for Michael Carter and probably a couple other guys that time has forgotten. But you know, way to go to go out and support your teammate in Canton. We love what you do on CBS Sports. Keep rolling, keep rocking it, and hopefully we'll talk to you again down the road.
Speaker 4: All righty, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Randy Cross, former Niner and a three time champion, three three time pro bowler, and it was good to do some Roger Craig recollection for Randy. Good for Randy getting on a bird flying from Georgia to Ohio to support his former teammate.
Speaker 3: And you heard it there. I'm going to give him a big hug and tell him I love him.
Speaker 2: Awesome stuff. All right, let's do this. Let's take a time out. We're going to talk more about Roger Craig with a guy who made the case for Roger Craig with the Hall of Fame people, and that's Sal Palantonio from ESPN who works with Greg Cosel on the Matchup Show. Salpal's going to join us at one o'clock. Sergio Romo's gonna join us at twelve thirty. In about fifteen to twenty minutes from now, we'll talk a little little ball with Sergio Romo. We can open up the lines and take some of your thoughts and on Mike Cruco, you know, big story of the day, Mike Cruco is hanging it up as the Giants announcer. This is his final season. We only have a couple more months of Kruk and Kaipe. I'll you know, VCRs better be rolling because man, those guys are just absolutely glorious to listen to, and we've been spoiled for a long long time. So if you have a thought on Mike Cruco and his decision to hang it up and his tenure with the Giants as a player or as an announcer or as one of the faces of the franchise, eight away Cambr is the phone number, you know, Honor Crouk Today with your thoughts and comments, we'd love to hear from you at eight away Cambr. Serge Romo will stop by bottom of the hour and we'll chop it up with him and talk some Giants ball later on this show on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Now back to The Sports Leader Middays with your host Larry Krueger. Keep this little alive and when you tell the story, simply tell him or the Giants or San Francisco.
Speaker 3: US.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back Larry Krueger with you on this Thursday on the Sports Leader and the story of the day. Mike Cruco has announced that he is hanging it up after this season is done. That will be his final in the booth. The man that we just know affectionately as Krouk is calling it quits. And man, it's an emotional thing. We all kind of knew this day was gonna come, but to have it hit today is just, you know, it feels like a kick to the gut. And obviously it's a tough day here at the Sports Leader as we transition from the Gregs to John Lund here in this time slot. But man, hearing that Kruk is is done at the end of the year is emotional. It means he is our conduit to Giants baseball, you know he is. He is the guy that you know, our portal to Giants baseball goes through Crook and Kype. And yes, you know, baseball on the radio is awesome, and baseball on the radio has always been awesome and it always will be awesome. And you know, Dave and John do an amazing job on the radio. But we're a TV culture and if you really love the Giants and you're at home, are you listening on the radio or are you watching it? And most people are watching it. So the connection from Giants fans to Kruk and Kuype, who have just been as consistent as consistent gets you know, it's it's it's it's undescribable, it really is. It's hard to describe what kind of impact Mike and Dwayne have made on Giants fans lives.
Speaker 3: And it's been an awesome run. It's been an awesome run. And you know, we knew it was.
Speaker 2: Going to end at some point, and unfortunately it's going to end at the end of this year. Now, I haven't heard anything about what Kype's plans are, so we'll have to see about that. But you know, I mean, it's funny. It's like, you know, buddy, Mind's like, I can't believe you know, it's you know, he's he's retiring. It's like, what do you mean you can't believe it. He's seventy four years old. You know, when you're when you you know, you give your life to your job, you start doing it for money, then of course you got enough money eventually, and I'm sure he's got plenty of money at this point.
Speaker 3: He's not doing it for the money.
Speaker 2: He's He's doing it because he enjoys Kype and he enjoys what he does. This is who, This is the career that he's made for himself, and so it's not about the financial part.
Speaker 3: And that's some point.
Speaker 2: Don't you want to give, you know, your time, to your children, to your wife, to your grandchildren, you know, to you you know, sometimes it's you know, you can love your job, but your job doesn't love you back.
Speaker 3: And you know that's not always the case.
Speaker 2: But I just feel like, you know what, if this is the time that Mikey thinks it's best for him to step away, who are we to judge seventy four years of age. You know what, if he wants to spend time with Jennifer and his children and his grandchildren and his friends, hey, you know what, that he should be able to do that. And obviously Mike's had physical challenges as as he has aged, as many people do. And yet, you know what, I really credit him because I'm sure there's days he doesn't feel like Mike. He probably doesn't feel as good as he maybe once felt, but he never shows us that side. He always sounds happy, He always sounds excited, He always sounds engaged.
Speaker 3: He always sounds and we tell.
Speaker 2: You about this three picks pitch mix that this giant reliever has. And you know, he's just he loves the game and he's been maybe the best ambassador for the great game of baseball, and uh, he makes us.
Speaker 3: Love it more.
Speaker 2: And he's brightened our days and brightened our our nights and given us so much entertainment.
Speaker 3: Heck, I mean it's funny.
Speaker 2: A Kruk and Kype broadcast is unlike almost any other broadcast. And you can tell in the first few minutes, you know, because Kruk and Kype, you know, and they're incredcit Jim Lynch was their great, great you know, behind the scenes as a producer. Maybe I'm giving Jim the wrong title, but you know he's worked on those broadcasts and the images, the stories, you know, and all the people in the stands and the oddities, and you know, they just they've had fun, laughing, laughing at themselves, laughing at fun things and just reminding us.
Speaker 3: All that, Hey, what is sports at the end of the days. It's not life. It ain't life and death.
Speaker 2: It's a diversion from life. Right, we don't want to talk about politics race, religion, things that divide us. We want to talk about things that unite us, like great sports accomplishments. Was it Richard Nixon who once said, I always go to the sports section first because it's the one one section of the newspaper. And by the way, we will explain what newspapers are to you younger kids later. So one place in the newspaper you can go to read about men's accomplishments and not their failures. And I always thought that was kind of an interesting perspective on sports, you know, And it's like working in sports for all these years. Yeah, in a lot of ways, we're in the toy department of life, and so you know, people don't want to, you know, nobody wants to hear you complain about your your you know, your physical condition, or your how you feel or you know anything. When you're in the toy department of life. You know, you got to toys r Us or Fao Schwartz or you don't want some person at the register who's all depressed. It's a freaking toy store. You want them to be happy. And the same thing with what we do here at cambr And and sports media.
Speaker 3: You know, we're people's diversions.
Speaker 2: You know, They've got a stressful life, they got a stressful disease, they got a stressful life situation or job or whatever, and they just want to peel away from that and enjoy five innings of Giants baseball. And yeah, guys like me are going to analyze it and be critical, but you know how many people are there for the criticism and the analysis some but there's a lot of people that are just there because, hey, man, I had a rough week at work and I just want to watch some Giants baseball. I want to fold into the couch on this Thursday night and take in some Giants and Tigers. And you know, Crook and Kuipe were that's super comfortable, you know, Duo, It's like that incredible. It's like your favorite slippers, your favorite blankie, you know. I mean, it's like it's I know, it sounds kind of corny, but it's kind of true. They make you feel comfortable immediately. You're comfortable. You're watching the game, but you're kind of laughing. You're laughing at the lady in the upper reserves who brought her freaking you know, bunny with her her you know, because it makes her feel better, and they're showing the bunny or the kid that's just devouring the ice cream cone, and it's just everywhere. And then you know as a parent too, I mean, you know Kruk and Kuiper are you know parents and grandparents, so you know they oftentimes we'll talk about it, like, you know, that kid'll be sleeping before they get out of the parking lot. You know, Oh, you know, Jimmy's got a baseball, but Sally didn't get one.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, you know. I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: Just just just all the great moments of baseball and why we go and it's just been awesome.
Speaker 3: It's just been an awesome ride.
Speaker 2: So Mike, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all the entertainment, all the analysis. Obviously you are a great babbler on the mound. I mean Game four of the eighty seven NLCS is your masterpiece, but that eighty six season was a masterpiece, and these broadcasts for decades have been individual masterpieces. And we're all very thankful. We're sad for ourselves that we won't be able to hear it, but we're happy for you that you're gonna wrap up a an awesome career and get to spend your your you know, whatever time you have left on the planet, and you get to spend it with the people that you love, the people that you that love you and that you love, your family, your friends, your grandkids. That's the way life should be. So what a picture, what a what a career, what a giant And you know, I just kind of get the feeling like through the championship years that Kruk was like the narrator of Giants Baseball.
Speaker 3: I mean the broadcast team, they're all great.
Speaker 2: I mean, Dave Fleming's the best young broadcaster in the country right now. Dwayne Kiper is maybe the smoothest I mean, his nickname smooth for a reason. He's probably the smoothest sounding ex player ever.
Speaker 3: John Miller is John Miller. He's one of the titans of his industry.
Speaker 2: These guys are all It's like, it's not like, oh, you got one guy who's an A and the rest of the guys are c minuses. They're alays, they're always you know, John's an a broadcaster, Dave's an a broadcaster. Krouk's an a broadcaster type, you know. So it's awesome, it's awesome that we've been able to enjoy it. It's awesome that we've been able to, uh, they've been able to you know, entertain us through all these years. And hopefully Kype continues on if if that's what he chooses. God, it would be tough to lose both in the same same year. But in some ways I almost feel like maybe they're a package deal.
Speaker 3: But who knows. Who knows.
Speaker 2: We haven't heard anything about Dwayne's plans, But you know, just really enjoyed Mike through the years, and so many of some of his greatest calls, some of the greatest moments are When I think of some of the greatest calls for Kruk, I think of the the David Bell or the Kenny Lofton single off Steve Klein in the deciding game of the NLCS against the Cardinals, and as David Bell slid across home plate.
Speaker 3: Kruke said, we're going, We're going.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was Kuype's call and Krook just said we're going, but that we're going was just awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm just amazing.
Speaker 2: The other one that was not a great memory, but it was a great call nonetheless.
Speaker 3: Because it was he said what we were thinking.
Speaker 2: Fly ball to right field two thousand and three playoff against the Marlins.
Speaker 3: Jose Cruz Junior was a gold glove right fielder that year.
Speaker 2: He was the best defensive right fielder in all of baseball that year.
Speaker 3: He was amazing.
Speaker 2: And he dropped a can of corn and Kuype was on the call, and Kruke was like, incredible, incredible. It was either amazing or incredible, and it was just so was like, oh my god, it was like the pain of all of us in that one one word from Kruks. So brilliance, true brilliance, broadcasting brilliance. And I'll say this. I know we're gonna take a time out here, and Sir Jermo's gonna join us in a bit. We'll talk some Giants talk, some Kruk talk, some talk, some ball. But I mean, how many people get to be great at even one thing in life? If you're great at one thing, you've you're you've beaten the odds. This guy was a great Major leaguer and then became a great or great er broadcaster of Giants baseball. He didn't have one thing that made him great. He had two things that made him great. And you could say the exact same thing about Dwayne Kuiper. So we've been blessed, man, We've been blessed. That's the only way I can I can really come to grips with it is we've been blessed. And when something goes away after years of being blessed, you lose somebody that you love, maybe a friend, maybe it's a family member. You know, you could be sad for how it makes you feel, but sometimes it's better to just be appreciative for the time that we had and what a run it's been for Mike. So congratulations Mike Kruco, and congratulations to you, your entire family, your entire broadcast team there at NBC Sports Bay Area. Thank you for so many years of you being the narrator, the best narrator of Giants baseball and Giants tradition. So thank you very much. All right, let's do this. Let's take a time out. Serge Romo's gonna join us. We're gonna talk to South Palantonio. We got a lot more to get to. Eight toweight Cambire is the number. If you want to chime in on anything today, feel free to bang the number.
Speaker 3: Larry Krueger sitting here, I'm the sports Leader
Speaker 1: A NBR one oh four five six eighty, The sports Leader