Speaker 1: Something's not right here. Crime is up all over the.
Speaker 2: State, the homeless and the city is out of control. The economy is sick, axes are high.
Speaker 3: Housing as expensive, and businesses are leaving. Leaving California means fixing.
Speaker 1: And John Phillips is just the man to lead the charge.
Speaker 4: It's the Fix California Hour with John Phillips and Randy.
Speaker 1: Wag and we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on The John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Weggs and Culver City.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: We're broadcasting live on the radio on seven ninety KABC and we're broadcasting on a ten KSFO. We're also broadcasting on video on Johnny Don't Like dot Com. That's Johnny Don't Like dot Com. That is the website where it takes you right to the YouTube channel where you can see us do our thing live every single day from our studios. Check out the Katie Porter bobblehead that we've got in my studio. You can also play around in the chat room. There's so much to do here. Make sure you hit the like button, hit subscribe. Check out all of our content, including the brand new Accountability podcast. The premieres right after we sign off at three. All right, Johnny, we're gonna have to do this on the air. Pat, we thought Jim Lacy was at two, but he's called in now. So do we want to take him now? Let's take him right now? Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: It is a pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. He is the author of the book tax Affordia, which is available online at Amazon dot com. He's also the publisher of the California Political Review. You can read that online at Capoliticalreview dot com and follow him on exit James V. Lacy one, Jim Lacy, thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I do have receipts that say one. But if you guys want me to hang up, I could just call you.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no no, if go ahead.
Speaker 2: Like I like the Katie Porter bibblehead. I see that recently she's become a commentator on CNN. Looks like she's lost some weight. I think she's probably stopped eating all those steamed mashed potatoes that she used to eat.
Speaker 3: I'm pulling in to the bakery.
Speaker 1: Well, truth be told, Jim, Truth be tall. Randy claims it's a bobblehead doll. It looks more like a nutcracker to me, a little dean. That's great.
Speaker 2: Well, uh, you know better that she would be a commentator on CNN than still be elected to Congress. I mean, she's really gotten cream now a couple of times. She's got to have something else that she can do in her life. You know, she's got a good education, and she's been a law for at UCI. I was thinking maybe she'd become a consultant to the Democratic Socialists of California, but going on CNN as a consultant is probably about the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go ahead and talk about the DSA, because last night they had a big victory in the state of Minnesota where their candidate defeated Angie Craig. Peggy Flanagan was her name, and she is a far left lieutenant governor in the state of Minnesota. She is now going to be the Democratic nominee in that race. In Wisconsin, things didn't work out for the DSA like they'd hoped they would, were their candidate for governor, who was expected to win by north of twenty points, ended up losing that race by less than a point. In a nail bider to just a traditional Democratic candidate. What do you make of the success that the DSA has been experience and sying in recent elections and do you see them on the ascendancy?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that it has a lot to do with where they run, and I think that they are in an ascendancy. But they're in an ascendency that is more like mimicked by in history by the Tea Party success with Republican congressional candidates in twenty ten, twenty twelve, and by the Freedom Caucus success with candidates. And this is where I see it going. I see the DSA. My focus is on the US House of Representatives. I see the DSA having enough success to be able to elect at least six to eight maybe more. They've got six to eight right now strong members of Congress that they might slightly build on and that might have a significant outlier influence on Hakeem Jeffries as speaker. This happened with the Tea Party very successfully, where Mark Meadows took out John Bayner as the speaker in roughly twenty fourteen twenty fifteen, and then they struggled to find a more conservative person to put in as speaker and it ended up being Paul Ryan, so it wasn't a great success. And then you had the Freedom Alliance coming back and making McCarthy go through fifteen rounds of votes before they were able to settle on putting him in. And what they got in return was the you know, was the motion to vacate by one vote, which destroyed McCarthy's speakership a few months later. What I see happening is is that the DSA people are going to come into the Congress with this long list of things about defunding police, having you know, free medicare for all and so on and so forth, and what they'll end up agreeing on and what Jeffreys will give up in order to get the speakership is basically to defund Israel. And there's going to be blood on the hands of the US Congress should the Democrats take control of the House in the next election, as they likely do, as history will say, because that's going to be the negotiating point. The point that they're all going to be able to agree on, and that Jefferies is going to give up on is going to be stopping aid to Israel, particularly military aid. Let me mention one other thing about Wisconsin. I don't see this guy Crowley getting elected governor Wisconsin now. Is that as important as the Senate race in Minnesota? Know, But Wisconsin, if you go by the Democrats identity politics, although Crowley's been elected, Wisconsin is only about five percent black. And certainly that doesn't mean that he can't get elected or won't get elected, or that there's not a lot of vote, but he doesn't have a real strong within the Democratic Party, doesn't have a real strong identity base. You know, they're all based on, you know, identity, you know, whether you check the boxes of being a woman or a gay, or some other ethnicity, or you know, religion Muslim or Christian or whatever. So I think I actually think that the situation in Wisconsin turned out good for the Republicans because there's a fractured Democratic Party with a candidate running that really doesn't have a very strong base. So I think that the Republicans will come back. It's going to be very mixed, But I do believe that the DSA is going to have a very negative impact in the US Congress going forward, and it's going to be all about Israel.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the Democratic strategy of taking on these DSA candidates in the primary, where so far, at least they've seen extremely hesitant outside of the woman in Michigan on taking them on on the issues where the DSA says that capitalism has failed, so we need socialism, and the Democratic candidates aren't making the case for capitalism. The DSA candidates say we should have no border. The Democratic candidates aren't making the case for a strong and secure border. The DSA candidates are saying we should get rid of prisons. The Democratic candidates aren't making the argument in favor of prisons to lock criminals up in It seems as if their line of attack is strictly related to electability, where they're going to their primary voters and they're saying, if you elect a DSA candidate, they will likely lose to a Republican in the general and that's why you shouldn't vote for him. Instead of saying you shouldn't vote for the DSA candidate because their ideas are bad, ind is are better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that there's a couple points to be made here. First, of all, the positions that the DSA take that are so alarming, that have been listed again and again, and that we're familiar with about defunding the police, about not having any prisons, about medicare for all and so on and so forth. Are not that distant from the progressive from what we used to call progressive Democrats before the DSA came on the scene in the mainstream media. So I think that the one issue is that the people that were allowing the media to call moderate Democrats really aren't moderate Democrats. They're progressive Democrats who don't happen to necessarily accept all of the democratic socialist principles, largely because if they did, they wouldn't get reelected. They they'd probably be an enough people who in the independence and within the own Democratic Party that wouldn't that wouldn't accept that. So, you know, I think that that's one thing. The other thing is is that you're seeing the savvy democrat socialist candidates like l say ed back away from some of the issues. So he's now telling voters in Michigan, well, I'm not I'm not really a socialist. Well why is he saying he's not? And it's not exactly it's a little bit more substantive than saying I'm now in favor of Thanksgiving, because I don't necessarily think he's been out there saying that he's against Christmas or Thanksgiving, but you do see him backing away, and I and I think that that what they're looking for in doing that is all political, is just plausible deniability. The bottom line is is that I do think that there are very significant parallels to the challenges to the establishment Republicans that the Tea Party and that the as I said said earlier, the risk of repeating myself, and that the Freedom Caucus presented. It's just that what these democratic socialists are talking about are things that are actually dangerous. They're immature, they're not well thought out, the childish, and in this danger we see that the establishment Democrats, who in my opinion, are not moderates, the establishment progressive, they don't have spine. Their whole strategy of election in the last three cycles has been to simply attack Trump, and in that process they've lost their ability to come forward with important policy issues and pass them. You know, don't tell me that the Inflation Reduction Act or that the Chips Act during the Biden administration were some great, wonderful you know, Franklin Delan or Roosevelt type legislative achievements. They absolutely work. The Inflation Reduction Act of Biden resulted in nine percent inflation, the highest inflation that we've had in decades. So they're devoid of policy. There's probably a strong anti Trump base out there, we know it because of the favorability and so on and so forth. It's probably not necessarily large enough for them to completely totally take over the House or to win a presidential election right right now, even with Trump's favorabilities going down somewhat. But they're just vapid. The mainstream Democrats just lack policy, and that's why the DSA is doing so well.
Speaker 1: Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi just participated in a Politico forum where she talked about how she got Joe Biden out of the race, and she said what she did was she called him up. I guess they met. They brought the rosary each of them, and she said, what you're doing isn't working. Your pollsters are giving you bad information. I want you to talk to my pollsters to understand what the public actually thinks about you. And the public thinks that you are not physically capable of being president. For four more years, so you need to have a physical and you need to release those results. Then she went on Morning Joe on MSNBC, and she said that the president needs to make up his mind if he's staying in the race or not. After he said he's staying in the race, and that's when the floodgates open and everyone called on him to resign. He and his family blame her and Barack Obama for chasing him out of the race. She said she didn't do any such thing. She was just asked questions, what do you make of that?
Speaker 2: Well, I know you're a political scientist. And just recently, the Princeton University issued a very compelling report on the presidency of Joe Biden. It's a first hand historical assessment, and one of the conclusions that they have is that the twenty twenty four elections suggested that Biden fit into the category of presidents whom political scientist Stephen Scronneck characterized as disjunctive, serving as the last gasp of a regime whose time was coming to an end. Nancy Pelosi is the center of all of that. Stenny Hoyer, Schumer, Biden are well past their primes. They're done with good ideas. And I think that whether or not Biden was going to flub entirely the debate that he had, if he had stayed in the race, I think he would have been crushed. I think he would have been crushed even worse than Kamala Harris. The people who run the National Democratic Party up until that point that you're talking about where she goes to see Biden are just too old, they're tired out, they're disconnected, and also they're so heavily compromised with their involvement with the fundraisers, with the industries that fund the Democratic Party, with the unions and so on and so forth, that they were creating their own disjunctive situation where they were going to have where Biden was going to lose and he would have to get out of the race in order for them to have a chance of winning. And how we ended up with Kamela I think had a has a lot to do with the other overlay on the Democratic Party involving diversity, equity and inclusion. You know, once you get past Biden and you push him out, how do you get past the notion of not accepting a Democratic presidential candidate from the incumbent Vice president who's a black woman who's also of Asian descent. You know, they were stuck. They couldn't go out and do something better because it was too late and because there and because of the yoke of the d eiburden that they all bared. So you know, they've made a lot of mistakes in the process and relying on these people to get elected. You know, Biden was a fraud. He wasn't. He was elected as someone who would be more of a moderating influence, sort of a transition out of the disruption of Trump. He was a total failure of it. He actually paved the way for the Second Trunk administration and in those four years, Steven Miller and Donald Trump and his advisors figured out what they needed to do to actually grab and grasp control of government. And look what they've done. They've come in and they've further disrupted things, I mean very significantly. Trump is a consequential president. You know, He's made mistakes and he says things that I wish that he wouldn't say. And if he didn't say some of the things that he said, I think that he'd have far more support. But The bottom line is is that the deep state has been shook up. The irs all these agencies, they've been exposed. The FBI is being fixed, and good riddance.
Speaker 1: Jim Lacy author of the book tax Afordia, available online at Amazon dot com or wherever you buy your books. You can also follow Jim on x at James V. Lacy one and read them online at the California Political Review at Capolitical Review dot com. Jim Lacy, thanks so much for stopping by. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com and Randy. If you want to watch us perform the show live, you can do so at Johnny don't like dot com. And you can participate in the chat and click that like button.
Speaker 3: The like button is the thumbs up, and it is your way to tell YouTube that this show is popular and they should recommend it to other people, which they're doing every single day. We're getting new listeners to this little show every day because of your enthusiasm for what we're doing. It's incredible. You know, it's one thing to be on the radio stations, and we love being on KABC and KSFO, but this is like an active way for us to actually market the show, and we haven't had a marketing budget at this radio station in about thirty years. So we're really excited about all this, and thank you so much for watching us every single day and checking out our Accountability Podcast, which a brand new episode drops at three o'clock. We interview Susan Crabtree about Gavin Newsom fleeing the state of California to kiss the ring of Abdul i'l say ed. It airs immediately after we sign off at three, and you can watch it at Johnny donotlike dot com. Make sure you leave a comment, make sure you like it. It helps spread this show far and wide. You're sending the message to everyone for us, and we appreciate it.
Speaker 1: If you want to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny dootlike dot com and click that like button. All right, homeowner's insurance is going to be going up in the state of California for homeowners who are already paying the most.
Speaker 3: The California Fair Plan is set to enco grease rates up to about thirty percent higher than when people are already paying for more on this We got to report from KPIX in the Bay Area.
Speaker 5: And of course, as these types of wildfires continue to threaten homes, fire risk is at the top of mind around the state this time of year. And if you're one of the hundreds of thousands of home owners who get your insurance through the state through the California Fair Plan, well you're about to start paying even more. The state announcing an average rate hike of almost thirty percent for those already paying the highest rates, but is just.
Speaker 3: The highest rates for the least amount of coverage.
Speaker 1: Okay, so whenever we talk to people who were fire victims in the Palisades or Altadena and they had the Fare Plan or State Farm, almost all of them are living through a nightmare where they're going to end up having to sue their own insurance company to get what they're owed.
Speaker 5: Ramos reports it may actually be good news for the state's insurance market.
Speaker 6: This is the town of Rinda. About two years ago, when State Farm began shedding policies in California, this was the hardest hit place in the state. More than seventeen hundred policies were non renewed, and most of those people got kicked to the California Fair Plan, and now they're about to get some bad news. The announcement came today. Effective October fifteenth, all Fair Planned policy holders will see a change in their monthly bills.
Speaker 3: Boy, that Ricardo Laura is just doing a heck of a job, isn't he. I'm very kind of sketch.
Speaker 1: Imagine getting that letter in the mail. You already have the worst insurance policy that's legally allowed to be sold in California, and then the cost of that crappy policy is going to shoot through the roof too.
Speaker 6: Industry expert Carl Sussman says it was not unexpected.
Speaker 4: Which means some people are going to see plus fifty, some might see minus twenty, and it's going to average out across all policy holders are about twenty nine point one percent.
Speaker 6: That's going to include a lot of people In Rinda. Local real estate agent Tom Stack says two years ago, people trying to buy a home or keep a mortgage were stuck with the Fair Plan.
Speaker 7: There we're surrounded by open space and trees and all this, so it became a bit of a panic for people and there were no solutions.
Speaker 6: But he says that has changed a bit and he's starting to see more options for those looking for insurance.
Speaker 7: So solutions are popping up. There's a lot of private market options that are available.
Speaker 3: Now, Adriana or Veronica.
Speaker 1: Either way, you're going to be buying your insurance from someone with big boobs on a billboard.
Speaker 7: Out there, because people are finding a need and filling it.
Speaker 6: As the cost of the Fair Plan rises, it provides an incentive for insurance companies to begin writing policies again, albeit at a higher price.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, all of this is hilarious to me because people might assume that the California Fair Plan is a state run insurance program, and it's not. It's actually a consortium made up of the insurance companies that don't want to write these policies. And one of the things that Ricardo Lara did at the end of twenty twenty four going into the wildfires in twenty twenty five was changed the rules. So it used to be that if the Fair Plan wrote too many policies and went belly up, the insurers would be on the hook for it. Ricardo Lara changed that rule to make sure that the ratepayers were on the hook for it, and they could pass on the cost of the Fair Plan going belly up to the ratepayers.
Speaker 1: And if you're assuming that the only people who are forced to buy the Fair Plan live in communities that experience extreme fire risk, you're wrong. A friend of mine who lives in a condo in the flats of a city said that the person who bought the unit below him had to go on the fare Plan because the Fair Plan was the only company that was willing to sell a policy for a condo in the flat, not in a fire zone.
Speaker 4: We're going to see the primary carriers back and writing those risks. I'm already starting to see it now. But I think in general, as homeowners, we have to accept that unfortunately we were paying. We were down at the fifth or sixth least expensive state in the country for property insurance.
Speaker 3: Which this is what we're hearing now, is that you don't understand how good you've had it for so long. Your insurance rates were artificially low thanks to Prop one oh three.
Speaker 1: Where is it cheaper than California? That's what I'd like to know.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe they mean like in proportion to what your property is worth. Because property values are much higher here than the rest of the country. But still don't tell me that my policy's cheap. It doubled in the last two years, and I live in the valley.
Speaker 4: When you think about it, since we're the ones that have the fires and the earthquakes and all sorts of other bizarre weather.
Speaker 3: Events, well, every state has some kind of disaster. We don't have tornadoes. I've seen a tornado tear up North Dallas, which has some very expensive houses.
Speaker 1: We don't have hurricanes, we don't have snow.
Speaker 3: We do have Barber Ferrara though, wash your hands often and ovis before eating and after toileting.
Speaker 1: She is a natural disaster. To get easier, that's just going to get tougher.
Speaker 6: The new rules will allow insurers to charge based on actual risk, which means homes in a forested place like Arinda will likely pay more.
Speaker 3: Well, what the rules change that Ricardo Laura gave the insurance company that they were asking for was they wanted to use their own proprietary private climate modeling that we we aren't allowed to see as the public, so they could say, well, our modeling shows that Arenda's going to get wiped off. The map, So we'll price you out, but we're going to triple what you're paying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're modeling would be totally ridiculous. I think they're modeling required Al Gore and Greta Thunberg to have a love child, and that person could do the predictions.
Speaker 6: But homeowners can reduce that amount by home hardening measures. Alfonso Petting with the Natural Resources Defense Council says, that's where the state can play an important role.
Speaker 3: But can right now, you can harden your home all you want. The insurance companies do not have to lower your rates. We have not biked that into any kind of legislation or regulation.
Speaker 8: The insurers have no incentive essentially to help homes mitigate the hazards. So what that comes back to is what can the state do about that? Right the state needs to have programs that help incentivize and helps hubsidize maybe these hazard mitigation measures and home hardening measures. So that's what needs to be done, especially in areas that are in danger.
Speaker 3: Which means the fair plan could What's so funny to me is it would seem like it would financially make sense if you're the insurance company and there is technology that you could put in the homes fire defense systems, those things that put out foam from the roofs, the things that make sure embers don't go into your eves. That may cost thousands of dollars that well, if you, as the insurance company, bought that for the policy, well now you're never going to get a claim. So you're making tons of money for years and years and years. But no, of course, the insurance company wants you to pay through the nose to harden your home, and they still want you to pay through the nose for your policy.
Speaker 6: Once again, become what it was intended to be, the insurer of last resort for those who cannot lessen the risk, and even a place like Arinda can once again and have some options, even if they won't be as cheap as they once were.
Speaker 7: Some of the big players are trying to find a way to get back in again. They're redoing their underwriting, they're seeing what's where, what's happening. They're trying to find a way to get.
Speaker 3: A piece of that market.
Speaker 7: Because when you mentioned seventeen hundred homes are being struck from the roles, well, who's going to handle those seventeen hundred homes. Ingenuitive companies are going to come up with solutions.
Speaker 5: So that was John Ramo's reporting from the East Bay. So the Fair Plan was asking for a thirty percent increase to cover the cost of its growing risk exposure.
Speaker 3: You know, because Ricardo Lauras said I need to do all this stuff to depopulate the Fair Plan, and the numbers in the Fair Plan went through the roof.
Speaker 1: Did he say that at a DJ Kitty glitter concert?
Speaker 3: I think he did.
Speaker 5: Susman says several large companies already filed to be part of the market, and he expects people will leave the Fair Plan as private insurers do come back to the state and he expects that to begin happening in the next few months.
Speaker 3: Well that's what they say. But it's been two years now since Ricardo laura put in these policies and we really haven't seen a whole lot of change. But we have seen is the insurance companies can charge more and more and more and more and more and still not be held to use everybody's favorite useless word, accountable when they deny or slow roll your claims like they did in the Palisades or in Altadena or at the campfire.
Speaker 1: No, and every time you get your policy renewal in the mail and there's a great big increase. You know, these companies are sitting back thinking you just took up ambient and smoking. If you're watching us live at Johnny don't like dot com, please click that like button. We're over two hundred and thirty likes. I'm going to get that number as high as possible, So if you haven't clicked it, please click it right now. It would help us out a lot. All right, here's a shocking headline. California's bullet train is in more trouble.
Speaker 3: According to a great piece from our friend Julie Watts at CBS News investigates, the High Speed Rail is in danger of going broke.
Speaker 1: You don't say, And.
Speaker 3: Of course a lot of this has to do with their federal funding getting cut, which was right to do so, because the High Speed Rail promised to buy trains in laid track and they have not bought trains in laid track. In fact, Gavin Newsom straight up lied about laying track.
Speaker 1: And now Javier Besserra is apparently picking up where Gavin left off, and he wants to sue the federal government to get more money for a train that doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Scrub it.
Speaker 3: Well, if you want the support of all the unions that have been making so much money off of this never ending project, then you're gonna say we're gonna build high speed rail. For more on this, we got a CBS News California and Julie Watts.
Speaker 7: Did you ever hear of Gavin duskamb that train is the worst court overrun I've ever seen?
Speaker 1: How about missing?
Speaker 3: Was that in the meeting with Zelensky?
Speaker 1: Interesting topic disinformation.
Speaker 9: Remember when President Trump pulled four billion in federal funding from California's high speed rail and Governor Newsom said it was a political attack. Well, it turns out there's more of the story. Records revealed California high speed Rail failed.
Speaker 3: He Hey, when Julie was on the show last week, that was the corkboard that was behind her.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we asked her some questions about it too. I thought it was a science fair project.
Speaker 9: To do the one thing it promised the Feds, a federal judge, and taxpayers it would do by the trains. This is the federal funding agreement California.
Speaker 3: All right, we've got props in this video. It is fantastic. If you can't watch this live with us right now, this video is on my list at Randy Wangradio dot substack dot com, give it a watch and share it with your friends and family. Julie does such great work and we're just trying to spread the word about the great reporting.
Speaker 9: Agreed to buy the trains by December thirty one, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Wait, John, what year is it.
Speaker 1: It is twenty twenty six right now, over halfway through.
Speaker 3: So then what do they do with that money that was set aside to buy the train?
Speaker 1: Good question, It.
Speaker 9: Didn't and there were warning signs.
Speaker 10: There's been some discussion about perhaps redesigning or reconfiguring the train sets.
Speaker 9: Less than two months before the deadline. Board members raise concerns about the new CEO's plan to change the train designs in the middle of the bidding process.
Speaker 10: We may have to cancel that procurement or rewrite a new specification.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm going to have to interrupt. We are in active procurement.
Speaker 9: The lawyer for High Speed Rail shut down the conversation.
Speaker 3: So I'm just going to ask some me not discuss it here. I would highly recommend conversations with the CEO. If you ever watched one of these High Speed Rail Authority board meetings, you'll know that Shanghy was right all along. The baraucracy is real.
Speaker 1: Imagine sitting through a long, boring meeting with the High speed Rail Authority where you spend all of your time talking about a train that doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: And they've been doing it for fifteen years.
Speaker 9: Weeks later, they missed that deadline, which the Trump administration pointed to when they pulled the federal funding about six months later.
Speaker 3: It's having some fun with the train. This story's great.
Speaker 1: What you do at work today, Julie, I played with toys?
Speaker 3: Hey, at least this actually had they have a train there. There's no actual train, but we've got a toy.
Speaker 9: So California suit promising a federal judge and swore in court filings it would buy the trains by December one, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Wait, John, what year is it again?
Speaker 1: It happens to be twenty twenty six, over halfway through.
Speaker 3: So they were supposed to buy the trains by the end of twenty twenty four. They didn't. They lost funding. They sued. They told a judge well, we'll buy the trains by the end of twenty twenty five, and they didn't.
Speaker 1: That is correct.
Speaker 9: High speed Rail missed that deadline too, canceling the board meeting where they were.
Speaker 3: This is the definition of you had one job.
Speaker 1: And they couldn't do it.
Speaker 9: We're supposed to approve the contract. Then, just two days before Christmas, California quietly dropped the lawsuit, this time no press release, just a couple sentences buried on the high speed Rail website saying the Trump administration was not a reliable partner.
Speaker 3: You know, they always say, if you want to get out of a news cycle, you bury your story on a Friday. If you really want no attention for a news story, you do it on the friday before Christmas. I couldn't have commented on it. I was gallivanting in Amsterdam.
Speaker 9: Why did we pull the lawsuit?
Speaker 8: That was a client matter.
Speaker 9: It was appropriate for us to pull the lawsuit. That's California Attorney General Rob Bonte.
Speaker 3: Okay. I just have to point something out, and this is something that you only see if you're watching it on the video, and it's just it's interesting. So there's video of Julie Watts asking Bob Bonta back in January about why he dropped the lawsuit for high speed rail, and he claimed this wasn't the state suing. He was suing on behalf of the high speed rail. But Johnny, think of all the pictures and videos that we've seen of Bob Bonta just in the last two or three months, and then look at him in January. How did his hair get so white so fast?
Speaker 1: It's almost as if he's really worried about something that could potentially be catastrophic for his career.
Speaker 3: Bob Bonta, that Shangy trials coming up real soon. Kids end of October.
Speaker 9: The Governor's State of the State, a couple weeks after he dropped the lawsuit.
Speaker 10: Meanwhile, I debated whether or not to include this.
Speaker 9: This is what the governor had to say that day about the status of high speed rail.
Speaker 10: Russell Lane tracks playing tracks in the nation's first high speed rail system, except they weren't.
Speaker 1: But here, in a one party state, you can just say whatever you want and get away with it.
Speaker 3: For as much as people love to give flak to the media for not fact checking, our dear leader, the Warden newsome there it is right there. CBS News investigates calling out Gavin for straight up lying about laying tracks.
Speaker 9: To be clear, there are no high speed rail tracks laid as of today, no yet.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 9: That is the High Speed Rail Inspector General six months after the governor's State of the State address. And this is not high speed rail track that Newsom and the CEO are hammering nails into. It's a prop.
Speaker 3: So we spend money on a fake track, a fake system, so Gavin could have a photo op. And that was back in the beginning of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: How is this not a bigger scandal.
Speaker 3: Well, we're all trying to make sure that it is. What we're at. Our job here is to bring attention to these stories. Julie works her butt up, as you can see, she's been doing this story for months and months and months. It's our job to let you know about it, and it is your job to share this story on your social media feeds with your friends and your family. It is an attention economy, and everyone gets so distracted by what's going on in Washington, DC and what's going on in Iran. But this is a massive scandal and it needs more attention. So we all got to do our part and pay attention to it and share it.
Speaker 9: As for the trains, they're still officially listed as tbds that are expected to take at least four years to manufacture at least another two to test.
Speaker 3: They're not making this twenty thirty three deadline for Fresno. That's not happening.
Speaker 1: We are never writing the screen.
Speaker 9: Nope, a countdown that was supposed to begin back in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: I would highly recommend conversations with the CEO.
Speaker 9: Governor Newsom and High Speed Rail didn't answer our questions about the reason for the delays. They did send us a copy of a Biden era federal review that found no fraud, waste, or abuse, but that was before these miss deadlines under the new CEO for CBS California Investigates. I'm Julie Watts.
Speaker 3: That is an incredible piece of reporting. The High Speed Rail is broke and they lost the money for good reason. They didn't spend any of the money on what they were supposed to except for Gavin Newsom's props.
Speaker 1: What a boondoggle. This in and of itself should end his presidential ambitions.