Speaker 1: All right, let's go to the UMA guest line for our first guest today, John Lund, who is a former KMBR host.
Speaker 2: He's a good friend.
Speaker 1: And he is the future as in Monday host from ten to two on the Sports Leader, and he's with us.
Speaker 2: Johnny, how are you?
Speaker 3: It was great to hear your voice.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I was just listening to you and I'm driving, I'm driving up to the Bay and I could not be more excited. But for those, you know, with the elephant in the room, for those who want more, if you just hit me up at John Lund Radio. I wrote a piece this morning, a national piece this morning because and I listened to you at the beginning of the show, because I want to get into sports and have fun with you and everything else. And then Monday I'll fill in all the blanks and if people have questions and comments, that's fine. I have no issue with that. And you know, I know people ain't change. I mean, November twenty four, I left, Tom left at the same time. I mean, it's the way that our industry is. But I don't want to spend the whole conversation with you doing that because I know that you've had to deal with it but if people just want to go to my twitter at John Lund Radio. I wrote a full piece on it today and it explains a lot. And then on Monday we'll further discuss it, and then we'll get on to what we like to do, which is have fun, have laughs, talk sports, and hang out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know you're a pro. You know I'm a pro.
Speaker 1: We've been working together for years and I'm so excited for your opportunity here. And obviously you know the circumstances you know.
Speaker 2: Are are what they are.
Speaker 1: As you said, it's a it's a tough biz. But let's let's not dwell on that. I mean, the people driving around today on a Friday, you know, care more about the giants and Niners, lawyers and sports than our drama or radio drama or even radio upheaval. I'll just say this though, Bro, I know you're gonna do a great job. I know you're gonna put on a terrific show. And it was always a pleasure working with you because you are so prepared and you are, you know, a fantastic host. We work together on kmb are, we work together at at ESPN Radio, and and you're gonna do.
Speaker 2: A fantastic job.
Speaker 1: Let's talk some sports though, give me your your thoughts on you know, we can take this in any direction.
Speaker 2: We got.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of things going on. We got the NFL started last night. We got the Niners in training camp. Joint practice with with the Titans is around the corner. We got Giants baseball, Giants and Tigers go this weekend. We got the Wall of Fame, a bunch of guys going into the Wall of Fame in the ceremony on Saturday before the game. I'm bringing the whole crew, Johnny out to the game Saturday night. I'm doing the deep dive, bringing everybody, no no expenses spared.
Speaker 2: We'll be on the club level. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Russ Stanley and uh you know, four Crisp hundred dollar bills will make it happen.
Speaker 2: So I'll.
Speaker 1: I'll be there with the family because I can't get an I can't get enough of this underachieving product now.
Speaker 2: But but give me, give me your thoughts on on.
Speaker 1: The Giants and the season they've had because we've seen.
Speaker 2: Them together, we've seen them win.
Speaker 1: We're championships and Buster you put this thing together with a lot of hopes and it kind of fell apart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, they remind me a lot of say the Padres, and I know the Padres are getting it together and they have a vassi different record, but if you just look at the talent, I think that's what's most frustrating for Giants fans. You know, when you're in a rebuild. You and I have joked about this before. You know about Giant slogans and things like that and what they should be this year. You know, when you're going into a rebuild, and as a fan, what you do is you mentally prepare for those kind of things. Okay, well, what's my season gonna be. Okay, it's gonna be about player development, and it's gonna be about having fun, and it's gonna be. Well, you go into a season like this and you look at the left side of the infield, guys like Chapman and a Damis, and you know, you look at what Bryce Eldridge is and you hope that Devers could be kind of settled in a little bit and all the they're paying a lot of money for these guys, is my point, And it's not this is not a rebuild. This is not a bunch of young guys, or at least it wasn't at the beginning of the year. It should have been a team that competed. If I look at teams like Arizona, the Padres who have had trouble scoring runs, just like the players that they have, the Giants should not be where they are. And so that's where I understand the vitriol and where it's gone from Buster who's beloved, to now you know, it's almost like it's a different guy. You got busted the player that you love, and you even got bust to the executive who's not getting a gun, or or you know, Tony Vittello in his first year. And I was actually talking to somebody that's pretty dialed in with the Giants yesterday and they just shook their head. I don't you know. I don't know how much you guys have talked about one and done, and I know organizations don't want to do that, but it's been that bad, as everybody knows. But my whole point is is that it's I think it's extra frustrating, and I'm speaking for the fans, so who knows. Maybe I'm stupid and don't know, but it's just it's not frustrating when you have this kind of talent on the team and you're going, what's going on. We're not supposed to be down there with the Rockies. We're at least supposed to be competing that. Okay, you're not going to catch the Dodgers, nobody in the division is. I get it, and I understand why we're gonna have a lockout as long as we are. But to say that the Giants are just not competing in that range of you know, eighty five to ninety wins of what it takes to get a wild card, that's just not acceptable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it isn't. I mean, And it's like, it's hard to know what to point to. Okay, there's a couple factors. Okay, they're the lowest scoring team in the division, but far and away by a wide margin.
Speaker 2: Then I looked it up.
Speaker 1: They're ten and twenty in one run games, so they're the worst record in all of baseball. And then they're they're not doing it on the margins, Like they don't walk, but they walk guys. They don't strike out a bunch of guys, but they strike out a lot as hitters.
Speaker 2: They don't steal bases.
Speaker 1: They don't hit home runs at home at night, So I mean you got I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you blame Buster? Do you blame Tony?
Speaker 1: I mean, we really could open up the lines and be like eight away camb Are the Giants are forty eight eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Who do you well? The blame game? But also who do you trust?
Speaker 1: Like, like, there are some Giants fans walking around going, you know what, they've been awful this year, But I trust Buster. And then I've actually heard people go, you know what, I really like Tony. I really trust that Tony's a good baseball guy. But it's hard to have any trust when you're so bad on the margins. You're not better. Melvin got more out of less last year than Tony's getting out of this team this year, in my opinion. And you're bad in one run games. You're the worst one run You know why you keep losing all these one run games?
Speaker 2: Is it tied to your pen? Is it tied to your lame offense? Is it tied to.
Speaker 1: Tony and the decisions he's making. Is it the margins? They're not they're not fast enough, they don't steal walk. I mean, I don't know. I mean, I'm all ears man, I mean the Jacks are undecided.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 3: I hate to say this. I hate to say this because all the talking hit shows on the ESPN, would you know, blow their tops if you said this. But it's it's a combination of everything. It's not just one thing. Look, Buster has got a lot of work to do in the offseason. He's got to unload some call. This isn't the Dodgers, and this is why we're gonna have a long walkout. Sorry to bring this up. It's a Friday, it's beautiful. But the problem is is that Dodgers can have The Dodgers can make all these mistakes. Like I understand, but if you're not following the Dodgers statistically, Mookie Betts is thirty three and having a horrible year, and they got six more years of that. Blake saw doing exactly what he did with the Giants. He's not healthy. Tyler Glass now does what he does, He's not healthy. Will Smith as eight more years left on his deal. He's got six home runs at Kyle Tucker has been an abomination. So they've got five horrible contracts, just those five I just mentioned that are higher than the Giants payroll. Just those five and those five contracts, most teams would be just there's no way. They just they couldn't do business. And where they close shop, they'd be out of business. That Dodgers can go out and get Tarrek Scuoble and talk about signing him to a contract extension when they have five contracts that I just mentioned that are basically an albatross around their neck. If the Giants did that, there's no way they could maybe do one or two bad contracts and still kind of, you know, do business. So what Buster is gonna have to do in the offseason. Something's got to get unloaded. Chapman's got to you know, it's either got to be Chapman or a Damas or Devers or you know, some of these contracts gotta go. He's got to find a way so that they can resume business. And that's the biggest problem. Same thing with the Patres. They got four or five bad contracts. If you look at our look at the division, those two teams, you know, looking at the Giants and the Padreas have terrible contracts and they can't really do business as much. Now, look I understand what the Padres did at the deadline. They picked up two pitchers that have expiring contracts and probably won't come back because that's how a j preler is. But they didn't commit money to the future because they can. The Dodgers are going to grab Schooball and they're going to resign him, and they've got all these contracts, and that's why we're going to be sitting around a long time. Because the first loophole they got to close is obviously the one where you can put players on a credit card. But that's the biggest problem is for the Giants to be competitive again, Buster's got to move contracts in order to add contracts that he thinks can contribute to the team. And I'm not sure you can do that in one offseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a hell of a point.
Speaker 1: And then when the Dodgers deferred all that money for Otani, it's like, oh my god, they're going to do this now. I mean, that is not you know, nobody's doing that, and that gives them another upper hand.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that deal.
Speaker 1: It was very fable, and it also allowed them to kind of circumvent the entire structure of the of the know the balance of power in the game.
Speaker 2: So Johnny, it's gonna be great having you back. Man.
Speaker 1: I know the circumstances are a little funky, but we love you, brother.
Speaker 2: We know you're gonna kick butt.
Speaker 1: If you ever need a Niner guest from Santa Clara, you know you've got my digits. And enjoy the rest of your weekend. Enjoy safe driving, and say hi to George and the family, and we'll see up here and and good luck to you, bro. You know we're we're big believers in you and your talent and you're gonna kick butt and we're.
Speaker 3: Very uh I'm looking forward to it, eager to hear it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks thanks for having me. I can't tell you how excited am I understand the circumstances Again. Go to my Twitter page at John Lundradio. I wrote a national piece today explaining everything, So give that a look. And then we're gonna get together with everybody. We're gonna have a great time starting on Monday. Thanks for