Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the sports Leader dot com at knb r V sports Leader app.
Speaker 2: You know, first and foremost is a tremendous honor. But you know, getting getting to go on with with Panic, Crawl, Fell and Pablo, I think makes it even more special for me. I mean, just a ton of great memories with those guys on the field and off the field, winning a lot of games, championship to do it with those guys makes it all the more special. But yeah, tremendous honor, some great, great giants that are on that wall, and uh super super humble to go up there myself. So I'm looking forward to that this weekend.
Speaker 3: Buster Posey, you're president of Baseball Operations. Earlier this morning right here on the Murph and Marcus Show with my man John Dickinson filling in for Murf today and tomorrow, and that was Buster Posey talking about the Wall of Fame ceremony going on this weekend this Saturday against the Detroit Tigers. Game starts at excuse me, ceremony starts at three pm on Saturday. We will have live coverage here on the sports Leader starting at two five should be a fun weekend down at the ballpark with Brandon Belt, Brandan Crawford, Joe Panic, Pablo Ceneval, and Buster Posey all going on the Hall of Fame together. That's one hell of a draft class, one hell of a Hall of Fame class to go on the wall together with jad.
Speaker 4: Well, and it makes sense to have all of them go together when you look at the homegrown infield and obviously Panic around for the final championship in twenty fourteen, and you have Crawford and Belt who were a part of the two championships in twelve and fourteen, and Buster obviously the headliner and part of the leader of all three of those teams that won in twenty ten, twelve, and fourteen. But at the end of it all, it was the homegrown infield and adding Pablo Sandoval to that mix as well, who was one of the guys who was there for all three in different roles in all three, but apart obviously of all three. So it makes a hell of a lot of sense to have those guys all go in together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it truly is a cool story and it kind of makes you disconnect from the struggles of this season a little bit and reconnect with the teams that I know a lot of Giants fans fell in love with, and a reason why fans are so passionate and a reason why this fan base was referred to as the lunatic fringe for so long. And we just had Tim Flannery on our show the other day. He's going to be down here this week and with Jake Peevey, I know Bochi's gonna be in town and a bunch of other Giants, So it should be a party down at the ballpark starting this Saturday.
Speaker 5: JD.
Speaker 4: Yeah, be a lot of fun amid even a disappointing season for the Giants on the field here in twenty twenty six. It's funny to think back to and I do this often when you reflect about the championship teams, but it's just the different the things that were the same about each of the three, but the things that were different. And Pablo made me think about it because he goes from somebody that was a bench player that had fallen out of favor essentially in twenty ten, to somebody who's hitting three home runs in a World Series game of Justin Company, and two of them off with Justin Verlander and then the guy that catches basically the last out of the dynasty or did catch the last out of the dynasty that you know, we didn't know it was going to end them, but in hindsight, obviously we do know it that it essentially ended on that night when when the Giants won in Kansas City. But it's also the fact that you know, Lensicam in ten was the ace, and Cain in twelve was the ace, and in fourteen it was Bumgarner. So all three of them in different years were the headliner as others potentially you knowed or the pecking order changed through all three of the runs, and different closers in all three of the runs. And so those are kind of where my mind goes on some of these some of these days where the ceremony of the past starts to creep in a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you think about some of that magic of Giants baseball, or as my good friend Paula Maxws say all the time, the particles surrounding those teams, and it's just something about those guys, those guys going on the Wall of Fame and even the pitchers you mentioned, And then we get to the bullpen and the core four four And you think about the last decade of Giants baseball, where there hasn't been a lot of success outside of twenty twenty one when they won one hundred and seven games, and guess who was leading the charge, Buster Posey, Brandon Crawford, Brandon Bell, damn near all having career years. It was still those guys from that dynasty bringing you the most success that we've seen over.
Speaker 5: The last five years, no doubt.
Speaker 4: And I you know, kind of finishing that that point, like the three different clutch second basemen basically that we're you know, the three the three different leadoff hitters and center fielders in all three of those from Andros Torres to Angel Pagan to greg Or Blanco being such a huge part of the team as well. So yeah, it's fun to reflect, but you're right, you reflect, you appreciate, But then it also shows the standard that has been missed, not only in terms of championships, but just in terms of meaningful contention over.
Speaker 3: The course of the last And I think that's why there was so much excitement when Buster Posey decided to take on this role as President of Baseball Operations because I remember the conversations we were having, We're like, why would Buster want this? Why would he want even to take on a job where he could end up with egg on his face and potentially stain his legacy. Now, I think there's two completely different things when you talk about the legacy of bus or Posey. There's the player that's going on the Wall of Fame this weekend and will most likely be going into the actual Hall of Fame next summer. Then you can look at what he's done so far as the president of Baseball Operations. But Busser told us when he took that job that he came back because he wanted to win, because he wanted San Francisco to get back to that standard. Now, obviously this team has not lived back up to that standard yet, But I'm wondering how much of that fan base has kind of wavered on that optimism after these last two seasons. I mean, it's hard not to based on the results, but I still think, big picture playing this is year two of bus or Posey. I don't think you can pull the plug and move forward to a different plan, because this is the guy you want leading the charge. From his experience as a player, we just haven't seen it translate as much as President of Baseball Operation.
Speaker 5: No, we haven't.
Speaker 4: But again, you can see what the plan is, even if you could debate whether they should have just blatantly stated that this is what the plan's going to be.
Speaker 5: And look, I get it. They were trying. What were the goals a couple of years ago?
Speaker 4: It was try to come up with the you know, some veteran players that are known in baseball to get the fan base more excited than maybe what was deemed to be. And I don't like using this term, but more of the no name type guys that varhan Ziety was was adept at being able.
Speaker 3: To find, like the constant platoon players and bullpen arms. And I get it. I was frustrated somebody covering the team showing up and not knowing who was pitching that day, didn't know if John Brebia was going to be the for the third time in a row. Yeah, like that led to some of the frustration for the fan base.
Speaker 4: Essentially, and I know this is not apples to apples, but essentially you had it became an issue of you'd rather see Willie Domas or Matt Chapman than a Donovan Solano.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's funny because I remember far Haun at one of his first pressers, he asked a question, do you want to have players you can root for? You do you want to win games? And I think a lot of the answers were, like, we want to root for these players, we also want to win games, but like there is that special connection between the fan base and the players here in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: And I think that if there was a miscalculation of the far Han hiring, I think and now we're going way back, and obviously it's you know, this is coming on, but I think it shows in the way that they corrected off of far Han is that I think there was a miscalculation that if they won, it truly wouldn't have mattered, you know, the who the players were or how they were acquired, or if they were shuffled through the minor leagues, if they you know, essentially, though, I think the Giants fan base would rather in some ways again root for Willie Adamas instead of Lamont Wade Junior. And that's no shade to Lamont in the year that he had in twenty twenty one, but it's that it's those kinds of things that I think led to the shift in well, we want to get some guys that people know, and we want to get some guys that you're gonna you know, we're going to be in the lineup every day and they're going to be playing.
Speaker 3: So more of a fanfare for a Jungle Lee versus a Darren Ruff, even though Rouff was on the move. Was an awesome moment. And look, it worked in twenty twenty one with a lot of those pieces.
Speaker 4: You want a whole lot of ball games, and twenty twenty one was I think the tell because in essence, and I don't know how much of this was COVID because if you remember, like you couldn't really go to the ballpark initially at all, and then it was I think opening day, maybe nine thousand fans at twenty one, and ZIP tied together and stuff progressively opened to the point where by the end it was it was full in the playoff series against the Dodgers and all of that. But it was interesting because in twenty like everybody got caught up in twenty one at the end, but when that team was mid in twenty two, even after getting off to a decent start, immediately it was like a snooze. It was like a dial tone, like people were not into that team as mid. So if you were going to have a team that people were going to get excited about, and it was gonna be a bunch of again don't like this term, but i'll use it, no name guys, then it would have to win at an elite level to capture the attention of everybody. And again I also think it they said that they set the bar a little too higher, thought maybe they were a little too close to actually being contenders, and then it led to mid mid mid and people becoming apathetic about the lack of sort of name brand talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's why people embrace the twenty twenty one Giants so much, not just because they won one hundred and seven games, but also look at the three guys leading the charge, the guys that we started this conversation talking about, Brandon Bell, Brandon Crawford and Buster Posey. You still had those guys, Buster steps away. You stop winning ball games and all of a sudden, people don't want to show up to the ballpark.
Speaker 4: And homegrown talent, especially homegrown talent with Buster Posey as your lead executive. Hits a little different than both of these other ways that the Giants have tried to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question about it. It's taking up those three players from twenty twenty one. It's twenty twenty six, and this weekend they are going on the Wall of Fame, which I believe is going to make an appearance on our weekend sports calendar, brought to you by Surfside. It's not a Seltzer. It's Surfside, proud partner of the San Francisco Giants, and the Giants are back after their road trip out in Texas. They are taking on the Detroit Tigers this weekend. Seven fifteen. First pitch Friday night, Saturday, the day of the Hall of Fame ceremony. First pitch is at four point fifteen. The ceremony starts at three pm, So get into your seats early and make sure you got your radio turned on. Our pregame coverage on Saturday for the Wall of Fame ceremony starts at two five right here on the Sports Leader. And then the Giants will wrap up the weekend series on Sunday against the Tigers. One oh five. First pitch, and that, my friends, was your weekend sports calendar, brought to you by Surfside. It's not a Seltzer, It's Surfside, proud partner of the San Francisco Giants. Well, after all that Giants talk, I need to quench my thirst. Let's hop into the Cooler of Content. Some of the best sound from the sports world, including an update from Sean McVay on Aaron Donald. Oh no, we'll discuss next on the Sports.
Speaker 1: Leader KMBRB Sports Leader.
Speaker 5: All right, everyone kill This is the cooler. He's been a cooler of.
Speaker 6: Content, capacious of joyful news all the time.
Speaker 1: Now back on murphin markets on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: All right, it is the Mirth and Marcus Show on a Thursday morning, Day two of the Brian Murphy vacation. JD will be in today and tomorrow filling out the week. An interesting week here at camb Are we address it to start the show earlier today if you want to go back and hear our thoughts on Greg Papa and Greg Silver. But it is time to take care of some business with the Cooler of Content sponsored by Marin Health with top physicians, surgeons and clinicians right here in the North Bay. Marine Health puts you closer to your best health world class care closer than you think and JD. Today is the first NFL preseason game of the year Hall of Fame game tonight, which means we're getting closer to not only the forty nine ers Week one preseason game next Thursday against the Tennessee Titans, but we're getting closer and closer to Week one of the NFL season where the forty nine ers will be playing Thursday night football against the La Rams down in Australia. And it sounds like the Rams might be getting a bit of reinforcement. Not sure if you saw this story yesterday, but the La Rams held a tryout, yes, I'm using air quotes, a tryout yesterday with Aaron Donald. Here was Sean McVay sitting down yesterday with Greg Rosenthal talking about the brand new prospect in town down in LA and how Aaron Donald's tryout went with the La Rams.
Speaker 4: I couldn't help, but no, like right before we started, I hope you're even aware of this, Like the NFL Transaction Wire had Aaron Donald working out with the Rams today, which I.
Speaker 3: Guess had come across as a tryout.
Speaker 5: It did come across a tryout that we've ever had. You think you could make the team? I think you can make them. Got a shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was honestly our way of being able to get a workout with him within the you know, parameters of of what's necessary.
Speaker 3: But give Smith said, it's the greatest tryout he's ever had.
Speaker 5: Great football coach. I don't know if Sean would be the best poker player in.
Speaker 2: The world, but Aaron Donald, but yeah, you know what, I've never claimed to be a good poker player either.
Speaker 5: You've got plenty to do here. Appreciate the time having Greg and're coming on.
Speaker 3: Thirty five year old Aaron Donald, contemplating coming out of retirement, had a tryout yesterday with the la Rams JD. What do you think does he have a shot to make the roster? I would say he's got a shot to make the roster.
Speaker 4: My goodness that that is pretty funny to think that, yeah, that's the procedural move that would have to be made, and to see that pop up. I know people religiously will be checking that transaction wire at times. Even I'll do it. It's the best way to kind of see what teams are maybe doing. But Yeah, to see Aaron Donald pop up on that is pretty freaking hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've bought into the rumors about Aaron Donald returning the moment that the Miles Garrett trade happened. Now, Murf and I have discussed whether or not he would play Week one down in Australia, or if he'd kind of just hang out for half the season and maybe rejoin the Rams during their bye week. But with this tryout, with him being seen on the practice field a couple weeks ago, it sounds like it's all but a done deal that Aaron Donald will come out of retirement, sign with the La Rams and possibly be on that one day flight down to Australia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like it's happening, and we're sitting I know, you set the table for what's to come a week from tonight at Levi's with the game against the Titans in the first preseason game and then the forty nine ers having the two away games on consecutive thursdays after that, we're five weeks away. Today is the five It is five weeks from today, thirty five days from the opener in Australia, so it is getting close. And yeah, it sounds like Aaron Donald is going to be a part of another just another just another talent that the forty nine ers are going to have to overcome in that game.
Speaker 3: Now, let me ask a quick question on Aaron Donald. After taking a year off, even when he retired, he was still one of the best players in the entire league, not even outside of the defensive line. But we have gotten some pushback from forty nine Er fans to say, go back and look at the box score against the Rams. Aaron Donald traditionally does not have huge games, and I'd say you're right, You're absolutely correct. Chris Forster has put together a pretty good game plan with the double and triple teams that they were able to put on Aaron Donald and to maybe slow him down for being a game record. But can you still have that same strategy when now you have Miles Garrett on the outside, maybe the biggest monster in the league that just broke the sack record last year like JD. This feels like it's gonna have to be a different strategy and a different version of this Rams defensive line. If Donald does come back to pairrot with Miles Garrett. It does, but again, the numbers of the numbers. The forty nine Ers have historically done well against Aaron Donald, whether it's been the scheme or trying to run at him directly limit his ability to produce. It is a completely different freaking animal when you have Miles Garrett on the outside, There's no question about it, and guys that can wreck shop, you know, interior and on the outside, like the Rams are freaking loaded. We know that, we know that to be true, and so this is going to be an unbelievable task that Kyle Shanahan company are going to have to figure out for that game coming up thirty five days from tonight. Man Miles Garrett single handedly had more sex than the entire forty nine Ers defense last year, and now, of course that comes with an asterix without Nick Bosa back on the field. We'll get an injury update on Nick Bosa and all the forty nine Ers in just a few minutes here with at Mayoko right around eight fifty. But moving on to our next piece of cooler content, John Joe Curley was telling me about this Philly fan who, oh, by the way, is enjoying Luisa rise right now went deep last night for the Phillies. That's after he had a couple of RBI knocks in his first game in a Philly, Jersey where he is a Philly fan that apparently won an auction and got the opportunity to call an inning on the Phillies radio network. Walt laid on us.
Speaker 7: We are had to do the third inning Phillies on top two to water. We're pleased to welcome Lewis Kobb from Medford.
Speaker 5: Lakes, New Jersey. He is our Phillies fantastic auction winner.
Speaker 7: He outfid the competition to spend an inning and do some play by play in the booth, and Lewis welcome, glad to have you here. Thank you Schott. It's ay thrilled the p here. It's all flowing drain to be in the Phillies broadcast booth. So here we go. A painter of the first pitch to our tange that's in there for strike.
Speaker 3: Win.
Speaker 7: Cob fills with two in the bottom of the second to take the lead. As we start the top of the third, payter delivers it's bounced foul towards the Etillies dug out and they count one and one. Deli's winning the first two games of this series, one more to go tomorrow night, and then the three games set with the Blue Jays over the weekend. Payter delivers. It's a check swing. It's a called strike three. He got him, so our teams down.
Speaker 5: And Lewis, you spent your life as.
Speaker 7: A firefighter, police officer.
Speaker 5: Neither of those things. Just gusing.
Speaker 7: I've been a substitute teacher in recent years for Nita School and Lakerland. There's a pitch. It's line over shortstop of base hit for Dylan Cruz and he reached his first base safely.
Speaker 3: I want out thing, bro first of all, round of applause. You're telling me that was a fan with no experience, Walter, I mean that guy sounded like you could have been a cousin of John Miller.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was phenomenal. I was still listening to him back here. It was six minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, what a natural. The cadence kind of has that old school baseball field is able to work in some riffs about not being a firefighter or a policeman, being a substitute teacher. Dude, I'd say, any broadcaster listening right now or listen to this call, watch your jobs. This guy might be coming after you. That guy sounded like a pro and definitely took advantage of that moment.
Speaker 6: Telling stories in between pitches too, very Vince Scully esque.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, sign this guy up, give him a job. I mean, there's gotta be some type of minor league organization or independent baseball team. Get this guy a job with the Savannah Bananas JD.
Speaker 4: That was phenomenal, absolutely awesome that I was blown away instantly, and then he was able to carry it through and you know, pausing allowing the crowd mics to pick up a little bit of the new That was fantastic.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a guy that was definitely raised listening to baseball games on the radio. Awesome that he got the opportunity which I had his name to give him a shout out. But really really cool story out in Philadelphia. One last piece of content before we get to Matt Mayoko. In just a few minutes from our conversation earlier with Buster Posey, we were talking about the Wall of Fame himself, Brandon Crawford, Brandon Bell, Joe Panic, and Pablo Sanoval all going on the Wall of Fame, but Buster is the boss man now. So if he had to assign each of those guys a role in the organization, what would those roles be?
Speaker 2: Buster oh Man putting me on the spot here, that's a that's a tough one. We'll have to go. I mean, Cross pretty easy to go with some sort of defensive specialist. Joe, as you mentioned, is already kind of a roving specialist. So those two guys could keep the double plays going there and working together. And then Pablo, you know what, we need switch hitters nowadays, So I'm going to have him develop as many switch hitters as we can in the organization. And then Belt it will be be sleep specialists because he was always sleepy, nice little rifter at the end.
Speaker 3: From Buster Posey. First of all, he's absolutely right. Joe Panick and Brandon Crawford as some of your infield coaches throughout the organization, Panic is already a roving instruction right now. I would love to see Brandon Crawford work with some of these kids with their glove. Hell, I'd like to see him work with Willie Domas as well. Maybe get Brandon Crawford to learn a little bit from Ron Washington as an infield coach. Put him in that position. Pablo Sandoval, we saw him down at spring training a couple of years ago, kind of as like a player coach, really connected with the players. Pablo's just an absolute vibe guy. And then Captain Brandon Bell himself Captain Daddy he likes to call himself. He's just there for the vibes. But as a sleep instructor, I didn't know Brandon Belt was so big on taking naps. Nice little rift there by bus or posey as I put him on the spot.
Speaker 4: Just leapy personality I think overall with Brandon Belt, but also kind of sneaky funny. In addition to all that, quick note Lewis Kolb was this was the gentleman's name that won the auction and was the guy that was doing play by play at the Phillies game.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the update.
Speaker 3: I'll put him on the Hall of Fame as well after that performance once again. Wall of Fame ceremony this weekend three pm at Oracle Park Live. Covered starts right here on the Sports Leader at two to five, but let's go ahead and check in with the Sports Leaders forty nine er insider Matt Mayoko with all your fort niner training camp updates next on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Listen to V Sports Leader anytime anywhere Downloade knbr V Sports Leader app. Murphin Marcus continued live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios. Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: All right, we are back on the Murph and Marcus Show on a Thursday morning. John Dickinson filling in for Murf today. Murph will be back from his vacation on Monday. Where I know we are going to turn our attention full fledged to forty nine er football as the NFL preseason kickoffs tonight. We got the Hall of Fame game and plenty of forty nine or training camp updates to get into this morning with our good friend Matt may Oko on the UMA guest line, who not only covers the forty nine ers for NBC Sports Bay Area, but is also our CAMBR forty nine Ers insider. So Matt, you're a part of the family and you are aware of the news that we got in the canby our family yesterday surrounding Greg Papa and Greg Silver. First of all, I want to say I heard you yesterday with Derek Papa and Adam Copeland, and I thought you had a beautiful message to Derek regarding his father. But I wanted to open up the floor to you this morning because you are a part of the Canbyr family and you personally know Greg Silver and Greg Papa. Matt, good morning, my brother.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 6: Uh No, it felt like a like literally a gut punch that I've had a physical reaction when I heard the news. And it's always difficult when people you know, people you like, people you respect, people who do good jobs, you know, see something like that happen. And I just, you know, I know, you know both Greg's or you know, Greg Silver is at the start of his career and he's going to have a long career. He's one of those guys of whatever he does, he's going to do really well. And there's no question in my mind. And of course Greg Papa. I mean, geez, think about the legendary voices we've had in the Bay Area and the people who you know preceded Greg Papa. You know, I think of Lon Simmons and Bill King and HAYNK. Greenwald. I mean, Greg Papa's right up there, he's right up there among the absolute best. So it was absolutely crushing news. And yeah, I just I'm still kind of as I'm sure everybody there is, still kind of reeling from that news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still really trying to wrap our heads around all of it and the information that's out there. But Matt, I appreciate those words on both Greg Silver and Greg Papa, and you're right, Greg Papa, in his own rights, is a Hall of Fame broadcaster, Which leads me to a bad transition about the Hall of Fame game tonight in football being played, which means football is back. But before we get to the forty nine ers injury updates and their first preseason game a week from today, let's talk about Roger Craig going into the Hall of Fame. I know the ceremonies this weekend. Not sure if he's going to make an appearance at the game tonight, But what can you tell us about Roger and what his plans are for this weekend?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he will be honored during the induction ceremony. I think his remarks will be recorded. There's a very nice video that'll be playing there for the folks assembled at the stadium as well. As a national television audience. But yeah, I mean, what a great honor. And you know, we could focus on, you know, what took so long, but let's embrace that it's here. Let's embrace that he had, without question, a Hall of Fame career and finally being recognized as such. I did a book, or actually I did a book with Roger many years ago. I think it was like two thousand and five, and Bill Walsh was you know, I talked to him for the forward for this book, and one of the things he said was, trust me. You know, Roger's not in the Hall of Fame now, but he will be. And so, you know, it took about, you know, twenty plus more years to get that thing done. But and the amazing thing was the candidates that he was up against. You know, when when the list of seniors and contributor and coach came up, I thought, oh man, this is going to be a rough year for Roger, because of Bill Belichick, because of Robert Kraft, because of the other seniors. It was Elsie Greenwood and Kenny Anderson. But Roger came through and it just kind of speaks to what he meant to the forty nine ers, that organization through the eighties. It speaks to what he what kind of impact he had on just the game of football, and we're seeing it today with guys like Bijon Robinson getting big bank. You know, Christian McCaffrey having the seasons he's had. He is the you know, he wasn't the first to you know, first running back to catch passes out of the backfield, but he was the first running back to do it at the volume that he did it at and he was such an important part of those forty nine Ers championship teams.
Speaker 4: Well, and following up on that, Mattie, I mean, you know, for the younger generation, I would have you just you know, speak to how underrated a player he was, first and foremost for somebody even that's going to be going into the Hall of Fame, but also the type of player that was truly ahead of his time in many ways.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know, he wasn't underrated for the teams that had to face him, had the game plan against him. But you know when you're on a team with with Joe Montana, you with Jerry Rice and the stars that that were there on defense as well, you are going to get overshadowed a little bit. I mean, he was an NFL Offensive Player of the Year and it wasn't even the year that he had the thousand thousand seasons, So there was a five six year period there where he was the absolute top in the game. And you know what, what always comes to mind is just those those knees churning just you know, stopped, but the knees keep churning, keeps moving forward. You know, his running side, he was a hurdler in high school, and you know he's to this day loves track and field, and he kind of ran like a hurdler. You know what, those those big knees in One of the thrills I think him was when Renaldo Ronaldo Nehemia got signed to the forty nine ers and he got to meet and hang out with one of his heroes.
Speaker 5: But now Roger was the consummate pro too.
Speaker 6: I mean, everybody knows about Jerry's Hill, you know that hill off of two eighty where Jerry trains and was a maniacal guy.
Speaker 5: As far as spreading up that.
Speaker 6: Hill, well it's actually Roger Craig who showed him the way. Roger kind of led the way, you know, the forty nine ers of those days, they did something unique. It was you know, when a very guy would catch a short pass or get a handoff, he'd run all the way to the end zone, no matter where they were on the field. And it was Roger who brought that. So those teams, in a lot of ways off the field were defined by their work ethic, how serious they took the game, how much passion they had for the game, what it meant to them, And.
Speaker 5: That was Roger Craig.
Speaker 3: Matt Mayoko is the voice you hear this morning on the Umma guess Lin and I should tell you that you are listening to Cambier Aim and camberr FM, San Francisco, the Sports It's Leader, a Cumulus Media station and Matt turning our attention towards forty nine er training camp, where once again the main storyline is injuries. So let's start in the wide receiver room. As yesterday there was no Christian Kirk, no Mike Evans, no day John Shribbling and Jacob Cowing is the latest name to end up on the injury list. Now, we haven't had the opportunity to talk to you since Deebo, Samuel re signed with the forty nine ers last week. But what is your breakdown on the current state of the forty nine ers wide receiver room.
Speaker 6: Well, the current state as of yesterday, you know, not good. But yeah, I don't think that any of the injuries, other than of course the season ender to Ricky Piersall, who is going to be undergoing surgery on that knee, I don't think any of these are of much concern. Watching three of the guys, I don't think I saw Cowing yesterday, but watching Kirk and Evans and Stribbling, they look really close and at this stage of training camp, a lot of it is precautionary. The assist head coach Chris Furster, you know, he talked yesterday about, you know, the injuries in July or in this case, early August, they keep a player out of practice. You know, a lot of those injuries aren't the kind of injuries that would keep a guy out of a game. So what it has done is it's given you know, more opportunities to guys like Jordan Watkins, not that DeMarcus Robinson needs the reps, not that Deebo Samuel needs the reps, but those guys as well. But The one guy that I think who's really stood out is Jordan Watkins as far as taking advantage of those reps, and it's just you know, it's not against the third stringers either, it's against Ronaldo Green and against Diamedoor or Lenor, so you know, I would say still, even though you cited all those injuries and all those injuries are keeping guys off the field, I would say still pretty dramatic that when you think about who the forty nine ers top four wide receivers could be this year, it you know, it could be Evans, Stribbling, Samuel and Kirk, although Kirk's gonna have to hold off Watkins and DeMarcus Robinson. But when you look at those four guys, none of those guys were on the team last year. So I do think that the wide receiver position, and we're projecting not how it looked in practice yesterday because those guys were out, but I would say projecting to the start of the regular season, even with Pearsoll's injury, it should be a much improved group of wide receivers.
Speaker 4: Mattie along the lines of just different position groups in the injuries. If the forty nine Ers feel relatively stable all things considered, a wide receiver, what position would you say if there is one where the forty nine ers are more concerned with the injury bug at this point of camp.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it'd have to be the defensive line. You know, I don't think they it's a great defensive line.
Speaker 5: To begin with.
Speaker 6: I mean, they have Nick Bosa, sure, they have ODIs. Sure those two guys are are absolute top flight players. The rest, you know, a bunch of question marks. You know, the guys who are coming back and they have had injuries on the defensive line. But they got Grayson Halton, the rookie back yesterday. He's a defensive tackle. You know, we don't know about Mikel Williams, you know Alfred Collins. You know, the guys that they're leaning on are a lot of those second year guys, Mikel Williams, Alfred Collins, CJ.
Speaker 5: West.
Speaker 6: But you know right now, you know, when you look at what the weakness of the team was last year, it was a defensive front, and a lot of that had to do with Moosa's injury. But if you're asking right now what's the weakness of the team, I think I'd go back to it's the defensive front. Now they're trying to do something schematically to kind of help them in that regard.
Speaker 5: You know, I think.
Speaker 6: They are playing a lot more five man lines, kind of catching up to the rest of the NFL in that regard, So you know, that's something where they can use some stuff schematically, you know, make it more difficult, get another heavy body out there that makes it difficult for teams against them to run on those base downs. And then in passing situations, if you have that five man line, you know, not all five guys are going to be rushing at once. There will be opportunities for that, of course, but you know they'll drop guys, they'll do different things to kind of mix it up and try to create confusion with the offensive line that they're going up against.
Speaker 4: Do you think the forty nine ers, considering the state of the defensive line, would would take a stronger look at maybe somebody like Vida Vea. I know Jason Light even this morning, I guess it's said no plans to trade him. They're clearly doing the posturing that goes on in these types of situations in Tampa. But do you think, you know, just in terms of overall talent that would be a player even on the interior that they'd be willing to consider.
Speaker 6: Hey, I think there's thirty two teams in the NFL that want Vita Vea and one team has him right now, and as you mentioned there, that doesn't they don't seem inclined to to trade him. And also, you know we've seen it before. That's a great negotiating play to say, you know, I'm fed up with my contract, trade me, and then they get something done.
Speaker 5: The problem right now with the forty.
Speaker 6: Nine ers as far as going out and getting a player like that, trading for him, what do they have to give up? I don't think they have the draft capital to pull off a deal like that. And if they do have the draft capital, as far as you know, where they'd be selecting. Now you're starting to chip away at, you know, continuing to build this thing out. So I think from two standpoints, they I don't know that they have or would be willing to give up what it would take to get him. And then also you have to give them a new contract too, So it's basically going out and paying twice for the same player. And I don't think it's a legitimate option for the forty nine ers. I could be wrong on that, but I would think that other teams might be in better situations to try to pull.
Speaker 5: That one off.
Speaker 3: Matt, with the concerns on the defensive line, is there any chance the forty nine ers can bring an Aaron Donald for a potential tryout?
Speaker 6: I'm shocked he's not here already. Well, as soon as I'm off this, I'm gonna go stake out the front gate and make sure he's coming through and seeing which helmet he's wearing.
Speaker 3: Well, what that story coming out yesterday and Sean McVeigh confirming that it was a quote tryout? Do you think this sets up Aaron Donald to play against the forty nine ers Week one in Australia?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yeah, I think so. You know, I was under the impression for the longest time that if Aaron Donald were to play for the Rams this year, he wouldn't go to training camp. He would just kind of see how the season's going and he would show up. And you know, mid November when I was I was talking to Andrew Whitworth about a month ago on that subject and he told me I ran that theory by him and he says, oh, no, when Aaron Donald's in, he is all in.
Speaker 5: So you're again to get.
Speaker 6: Air all of Aaron Donald the Rams are or none of Aaron Donald. So I think it would be sooner than late. And probably the thing for him is how great would it be? Not that he needs any more validation or any more hardware in the trophy case, but how cool would it be for him for the Rams to go out and get Miles Garrett? And then Aaron Donald has a better season than Miles Garrett and is in the ending up as the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. So I think he would take it as a challenge like, oh, everybody thinks Miles Garrett's still number one. Well I have something to show you. So I think if he's going to play, I think there'd be a very strong chance. And it looks like he's going to play. I think there's a very strong chance he makes that trip to Melbourne, and maybe he was updating his passport information at the Rams facility.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Matty Mayoko joining us here on the Sports Leader, Matt, how has Kyle Shanahan progressed to your view in observing practice here? I know he's not back in speaking to the media yet the leader of the team, but it does seem.
Speaker 3: Like he's been out there more and more each day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it has been that way.
Speaker 6: I think the very first day of practice he was out there about thirty thirty five minutes, and then ever since then it's been the full on eleven eleven against eleven.
Speaker 5: Portion of practice.
Speaker 6: And yesterday out there on the field Dre Greenlaw, who was having a rest day general soreness, he was standing next to Shanahan the entire time and he was It was funny watching green Law. He was going through his mental reps right by Shanahan. A little bit later, Kittle was out there, So, you know, it does seem like he's making progress. He did speak to the team for the first time on Saturday, but you know, he knew, you know, when we talked to him about ten days ago. You know, he'd said that it's slow. It's slower than he wanted it to be or thought it would be, but he felt like he was making, you know, gradual progress. So I think there is still optimism that Kyle Shanahan will be all the way up to full speed doing all of his duties in week one. One of the things that Chris Firster said was basically, behind the scenes, he sees no difference. Kyle Shanahan is still running the meetings. When Chris Furster and Shanahan meet privately, he says he still sees the same guy. So I think there is optimism that Shanahan will be back to full coaching duties, no limitations, sooner than later.
Speaker 3: Matt to tying Kyle Shanahan into my last question. It was released yesterday or I guess reported on about the RAMS travel schedule down to Australia the day before or day of. Still a little bit confused there, but I know it's completely different than the forty nine ers approach. But I guess my question is, with this Kyle Shanahan situation, have there been any thoughts about maybe adjusting the travel plans for the forty nine ers or maybe him specifically flying out at a different time.
Speaker 6: It's a great question, I would think not, just because the reason they're going so early is to adjust so the game if we're just it gets a little bit complex because you know, Australia is seventeen hours ahead, but the fortnititres are flying out on September second, and the game, you know, using that September second here in the Bay Area, the game is eight days later on September tenth, So I would think that they would want Kyle to be kind of settled in Melbourne and be acclimated. I think that that would probably be the best way to handle it, rather than coming in late. I mean, he wants to be around the team anyway. He wants to be there for you know, all the prep meetings and everything else. But no, it is a fascinating contrast of how both of these organizations are going about it in completely different ways. As I understand it, the Rams plan on getting to Australia on what would be the afternoon or evening of before yeah, September tenth, Australia for the ten thirty am kickoff on September eleventh. I know we're kind of mixing matching time zones, but that is how I understand that They're gonna have one night of sleep in Melbourne, go play a football game, and then be on the plane as well. The forty Niners be on the plane right after the game and head home. So I think the Rams philosophy is, don't adjust to the time zone, just kind of play this thing like it's a five point thirty Pacific Coast kickoff. And for the forty nine ers, you know, maybe this is the wrong call. I don't know if well, we won't have a solid answer. We'll know who wins a game, but I'm not sure that that's gonna tell us what was the right and what was wrong. But for the forty nine ers, they're gonna have to adjust twice. They're gonna have to adjust going from the West Coast to Melbourne for eight days, adjust and then get on the plane, come back to the Bay Area and adjust again. Whereas the Rams apparently are going We're not doing any of this adjusting. We're just gonna go play a football game.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It is a fascinating dichotomy and juxtaposition is to the way they're they're looking to do it with the Rams. On the Matty Mayoko scale, who do you think has the edge?
Speaker 5: I would think the forty nine ers. Yeah, see, I would too. Think.
Speaker 6: Here's here's what I say. I think it was twenty ten. Now it wasn't twenty ten. It was a year the forty Nineers played the Broncos. I think I was twenty ten was it twenty ten? Okay, And the forty nine ers did the full week. I think they were I think they were in Carolina maybe the week before that, and flew to London straight after the games Sunday. They're there the whole week. They played a football game, the Broncos flew in like it was just a regular East coast trip, So they got to London very late, and as I recall, the nine Ers, especially in the second half, beat them up. Now at the time, I'm thinking, oh, it's because of the travel schedules, and it might have been. So it's always kind of been in my mind, like all the way the forty nine ers did it, getting their early adjusting, getting acclimated, that's the way to go.
Speaker 5: But we'll see. I think a lot of it has to do with whether.
Speaker 6: Whether Aaron Donald's there that might have a better impact on the Rams game and Miles Garrett.
Speaker 5: It comes out to the players, right.
Speaker 3: Absolute, always, absolutely, Matt, it comes down to the people who cover this game, and that's you. You're one of the best men. Always appreciate your thoughts on the forty nine ers and your thoughts on everything going on here at camb are enjoyed the rest of training camp, the Hall of Fame game tonight in the Hall of Fame, Hall of Fame Ceremony this weekend, and we'll talk to you next Thursday.
Speaker 5: All right, gentlemen, thanks you so much. I'll see as soon.
Speaker 3: There He is the one and only Matt Mayoko given his thoughts on everything from the latest forty nine Ers injuries to the Rams travel plans. Eight Away camby r JD as a good Ques question. Who does this give the advantage to the forty nine Ers flying out early? Or are the Rams coming in as Seal team six as Sean McVay said, for one day and one day only or is it one day? We'll figure it out. On the other side, eight Toway Cambier is a number if you want to chime in on the Sports Leader