Speaker 1: Let's get back to Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park before Tonight's Giants game. On The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: How's it going Dirty Work on a Friday?
Speaker 3: John Dickts and Derek Papa Here at the patio fifty eight Social. Giants and Rockies Tonight will be joined by Marcus Thompson in about twelve minutes talking about the Warriors off season, his article on Don Nelson and uh.
Speaker 4: Need more time with Marcus.
Speaker 5: We do need more time with Marcus. We do already. We adn't even on yet. We need more time.
Speaker 2: I know, well you should have caledon, didn't should have answered the phono.
Speaker 4: Three foot We're going anymore? We get it. Yeah, yeah, we'll be fine.
Speaker 3: We'll be But I do want to talk schedules with you, because you're a schedule guide.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, you know what I'll say, this schedule nerd is actually.
Speaker 3: I love a good schedule. I love more in NFL schedule. I love a schedule release.
Speaker 4: It is a little different though. I mean with the NBA, of course it is.
Speaker 3: We're talking about any two games and like yesterday I saw the Warriors put out some cartoon with Draymond and Jimmy Butler and Steph Curry for their schedule release video.
Speaker 2: It's like Scooby Doo themes.
Speaker 4: And I was like, what is this? Did you see the Bulls one? I did not.
Speaker 5: The Bulls One's good. I would agree, it's with Benny the Bull. Okay, the mascot.
Speaker 3: Okay, we think it's kind of ridiculous that the NBA is trying to be like, we got our own schedule release.
Speaker 5: Yes it is, but the Bulls one was good. Okay, well check it out. What what was.
Speaker 4: Funny about just the Bull was? It's just Benny the bulls hilarious?
Speaker 5: Okay, fair enough, Okay, Like that's number one, yeah, yeah, And I go way back with Benny back, I mean back to twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: You guys are boys, Yeah.
Speaker 5: We're yeah, multiple yeah, I mean he's he's dumped popcorn on me, and like, like, we go way back, So I am a little biased. Yeah, Benny the Bull, but I mean dumps popcorn and everybody but right, but I did happen to get popcorn dumped on me in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: That's I praise nice.
Speaker 3: Well when it comes to the time ago, when when the Warriors. When it comes to the Warriors schedule, looks at the Nasaly televised games, and of course with how old they are back to backs.
Speaker 5: You know what I look at first and foremost, what's that? Where are the three and fours?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Where are the back to backs? We're the three and fourth exactly.
Speaker 5: And the first thing that stands out Derek. Game three of the season, they start in La. They've got the exact same most similar layout as last year. They start Wednesday in La October twenty first. They have an off day Thursday. Their home Friday home opener on the twenty third, which is a year from when we had the roundtable out at at Harmonic Brewing just down the street here, and so everything is a year a year to the day, right. The opener last year was on Tuesday the twenty first. This year it's Wednesday, the twenty first. Last year, the home opener was Thursday to twenty third. This year the home openers Friday to twenty third. So, and then they went up to Portland for the third game of the year, which was Friday the twenty fourth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the day after.
Speaker 2: A Baraja three pointers from the Portland Trailblazers then made and.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you were, Mads, but even though it was the third game of the year, and even though the Warriors were two and oh, going down to La and winning and then coming back home and coming back and beating the Nuggets, and the home opener on our roundtable night where we were out at Harmonic, even though they were two and oh, Steve Kerr played the regulars in Portland. Warriors got smoked, They got completely ran out of Moda Center. And Steve Kerr after the game and I did dubbs ot from up there on that night, and Steve Cerr after the game said, yeah, I regret not giving the veteran guys.
Speaker 4: The night off.
Speaker 5: It was game three, Game three, but it was the third game in four nights. So anywhere there's three games in four nights, I feel like that's an automatic punt. Considering the fact that the Warriors basically have the exact same roster they had last year. Oh, by the way, Jimmy Butler, Moses Moody, you're not going to be round for probably at least half of the season. So long story short, Game three of the season this year at Phoenix, third game in four knights, that's punt. Oh, by the way, then you go play Denver in Minnesota, you start at the Lakers. This team better win the home opener against Memphis. They might be one and four even with that win, even with Steph Curry healthy and available. So much for the schedule, gouds doing the Warriors any favors, not that they're owed, but if you recall, that was a huge part of the story last year, and my goodness that the beginning I mean at LA Memphis, at Phoenix, three games and four nights at Denver, at Minnesota before they come home for a six game Homestand I mean, what's their record in the first five games of the year, One and four objectively speaking, right, that could be unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat somewhere.
Speaker 4: They're one and four five games in.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I you know, I thought Steve Carer brought that up a little bit too much last year, where it's like, the schedule's tough.
Speaker 2: Well, well, yeah, of course it is.
Speaker 4: You're the Warriors.
Speaker 5: They did, but it's gonna be tough this year too. Yeah, So I don't think him bringing it up or not bringing it up matters.
Speaker 4: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: But also it's just the situation they're in.
Speaker 4: They're the Warriors.
Speaker 3: And also what do you make of them having less nationally televised games like that comes with the territory of them natural. Yeah, like they're an older team right now, people still want to see Steph. They got twenty eight, but that's less than what they had in recent years.
Speaker 5: Now they do have the four or five on the road to begin the year and then they come home for six. You talk about the nationally televised games, I thought the league still gave them a decent amount if you were in the first half of the season. Obviously, because they're expecting and hoping, the league is hoping that Jimmy Butler comes back. And I put the middle of the year middle of January roughly. I mean, I'm looking at the forty first game.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Look, there's two games that are going to get rescheduled in December. So the forty first game right now is not actually going to be the forty first game. What's it's actually the forty first game is actually going to be the Sacramento game on right on January twelfth, even though right now that's the thirty ninth game. But if you count that as the first half and then move forward. I mean they're counting, or at least the league is hoping that Jimmy Butler and Steph at a minimum are back and playing together.
Speaker 4: And that's when you get another.
Speaker 5: Laker game at Okasee, a couple of San Antonios of Boston and New York, the night before the Super Bowl at Madison Square Garden Cooper Flag and Dallas, Houston, Portland, Denver. The Lakers again, two games against Philly because you got to get Steph and Lebron a week apart, but the last week of March because you really really want to make sure Stefan and Jimmy are healthy for that one. And then Minnesota Phoenix OKAC to close things out toward the back half of the year. So I saw a lot of complaining about the early part of the schedule. I also saw a lot of complaining about the second half of the schedule. I knew the second half of the schedule was going to be more difficult because those are the games where they want to put Steph on national television, hoping that Jimmy Butler's going to be a part of the equation.
Speaker 3: I mean, the biggest thing to me is that they are tied for the most back to backs with fifteen, and you have a older roster where Al Horford and Porzingis and a lot of these and Stephen Draymond may not play in these games. So it's Yaxel in the gang. Like, I just don't know how anything's going to change.
Speaker 4: But and again it starts. The third game of the year is going to be a punt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I can tell you right now on August fourteenth that the Warriors could go play a hell of a game against the Lakers in the opener and let's say lose close and then beat Memphis and be one and one, going to Phoenix second of a back to back three and four, and they're punting. Yeah, like that Steph ain't playing that night. Draymond ain't playing that night. Horford or Perzingis or both ain't playing that night. Melton's probably not playing that night. I mean they Yeah, it's Yaxel and will Richard Pods. I mean in Phoenix, which is a team that knocked your ass out going back to April to get that final playing spot in the eight seed, and then you and then after the game against a lesser opponent, in comparison Phoenix compared to Denver in Minnesota. Then you go to Denver in Minnesota to boot before you come home and play the Lakers. I mean, one in five is on the table here. And this is with everybody healthy among you know, not accounting for obviously Jimmy Butler and Moses Moody.
Speaker 4: So yeah, then you.
Speaker 5: Get some home then you get some home cooking. There's there's a winnable trip in the middle of November. You get the usual home games coming out of the first of the year, which I think, again, what you're gonna hear a lot from the Warriors. You're gonna hear a lot from the Warriors. Is gonna be a second half team, gonna get be a secondf team, gonna be.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: If you're fifteen and twenty five in the first forty games, then it ain't gonna matter that you're a second half team. You're gonna be praying that you could be in the conversation to be the freaking ten seed.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, I'm not really high on I mean anything with this team. I mean, yes, they'll still be the same team that we saw a year ago fighting for the ninth seed of the ten seed.
Speaker 2: The schedule wasn't making it any better.
Speaker 3: But just as we talking about earlier with George Kittle and you know, playing doctor on the radio, you said, there's more nationally televised game in the second half, and that maybe because that's when they're anticipating Jimmy Butler's gonna return. What do you think, like, what do you expect with the big injuries Jimmy Butler amoses movie this year?
Speaker 5: I put it right in the middle of the year for both of them, as as it might be, I don't know that it's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be sooner than the middle of the year for either of them. And again I'm set in the middle.
Speaker 5: The middle of the year is basically the one year mark for Jimmy right if you look at it, January the twelfth, right now, will will be the warriors forty first game. Again, it's listed as their thirty ninth game right now, but they're gonna add to in December because of the d season tournament. So the middle point of the season is January twelfth. I think it's right around there. And he got hurt what on the nineteenth, I believe it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's an older player, and I just don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think Moody will see I mean, I think there's a scenario where both could be out till after the All Star Break. I think there's a scenario where maybe one or both don't come back at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Moody was a Pateeller Tendon, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I also think there's a scenario where, you know, maybe they come back a little early, maybe Jimmy comes back a little early.
Speaker 4: But I don't know about this December thing.
Speaker 5: That felt to me like that felt to me like a leak that comes out when you're getting hit from a public relations standpoint by the fact that you missed out on Lebron and didn't really do anything else, and it's like, oh, Jimmy, give me back my Christmas? Right? Probably not, Yeah, I don't know if people should be too excited about that.
Speaker 3: Derek Papa John Diketson. Here, you're at fifty eight Social outside Oracle Park. Let's catch up with Marcus Thompson and talk about the Warriors schedule, what's going on with their off season, and the unfortunate passing of Don Nelson.
Speaker 4: He wrote about it.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about next on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park. This is dirty work with Copes and d Pop on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: Here on these Sports Leader John Dickinson, Derek Papa trying to make the connection with Marcus Thompson.
Speaker 4: We'll see if you do that. Here we get a five to fifty segment. We do have a five to fifty. Marcus is busy and he typically is.
Speaker 3: Knowing Marcus though he'll call mint segment of Billy, you guys don't want me anymore?
Speaker 4: And what's the deal?
Speaker 5: And I and that's where you say five point fifty bro, exactly, we got you, We got you. So I don't want to short change Marcus. No, I don't want to They like my Marcus time. You never know how much Marcus time you're actually gonna get.
Speaker 4: Exactly, So I do want to make some time. There's a lot of discuss with him.
Speaker 3: So we'll see when we catch up with him, and if he calls Danny, let me know and we'll figure out the plan. But yeah, I do want to get to this real quick. Just talking about the forty nine ers and preseason, and there was a lot of talk about Vita Veau maybe being a guy that could pick up where he's got contract negotiations going on right now. The Bucks don't want to make him one of the highest paid defensive tackles in all of football. But Mike Garrofolo was just on NFL Network talking about Vitavea, and we hear all the time teams say like, we're not.
Speaker 4: Trading this guy. We're not trading this guy. He went.
Speaker 3: He just went on NFL Network saying the Bucks do not plan on trading vita Vea. But teams have acquired the Buffalo Bills, the Chicago Bears, and the San Francisco forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: Not surprising, not surprising.
Speaker 3: I think that John Lynch always will inquire about a player. I would rather they say that draft capital, like let's just say, okay, Vitavea is on the table.
Speaker 4: I think he is.
Speaker 3: I think ultimately the Bucks will budge and they're gonna tr him because I think Jason Light views the Buccaneers as, all right, we're a good team, but are we gonna be one of the better teams in the NFC. I think we're more like the team that we know failed down the stretch when we started six and two and then we finished eight and nine. He doesn't want to give Baker Mayfield a contract. He doesn't want to give a contract to Vita Vea. You know, are we gonna have to win the NFC South or are we going to contend with the better teams the NFC. And it was telling when Mike Evans told him, yeah, thanks for the contract offer. It's better than the Niners, but I'd rather go here. So I think that he may listen to offers, and I won't be at the least bit surprised that the Niners are like, all right, we may give you a young defensive tackle in some draft capitol there.
Speaker 5: They're trying to slow play it. I think the Buccaneers are and not come off as desperate. I think you could make the case the Bucks are in semi shambles at this point. Like I think they're the team that thinks that they're still maybe gonna be good, but then the whole thing completely kareems off the mountain and you wind up six and eleven and everybody's not not not light, but Todd, you're a bulls is out and maybe you're looking at a quarterback change and yeah, and you're you're kind of in a semi rebuild off of a lot of veteran guys who have been there for a number of years. But yeah, I don't think Jason light would be in trouble necessary.
Speaker 4: Now it's one of the better gms and all football.
Speaker 5: But but it might be time to retool and looking to make the move on Vidavea would would give him an opportunity to more quickly start that process.
Speaker 4: Okay, but let me ask you this.
Speaker 3: Do you think the Niners possibly getting Max Crosby at the trade deadline is like a like a Warrior's Giannis pipe dream?
Speaker 4: No, you think it's realistic. I think it's realistic based.
Speaker 3: Off of where the Raiders are at or a new day in Raider football where they don't care trading him to the forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: It would have to be that. And and well, what's the one thing that would make that less of a thing? What do you mean, what's the one thing that would make the unwillingness to have the Raiders trade somebody to the Niners over the topitle? Yes, like what the asking price? Like you may have to give up a little bit more. But I think if the forty nine ers believe that they are in a position to where a Max Crosby can make them a legitimate Super Bowl contender or get them on the level of the Rams. And I think if this thing goes to the trade deadline, the forty nine ers are can have to prove that in season, right, They're gonna have to. And I think if the Niners prove that in season, then the front office would be more apt to give up more to get that done. So I think it's unlikely. I still am of the belief, and I think you are as well that the Raiders as much as it is Vegas in San Francisco, or Vegas in the Bay and not Oakland in the Bay and not La in the Bay or whatever, I do think some of those things have thoughed.
Speaker 4: I still don't think Mark Davis would.
Speaker 5: Be real keen on moving Max Crosby to the forty nine ers and essentially having it be a move that might lead to Max Crosby being a Super Bowl winner with the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that would be a monumental move.
Speaker 4: Sweetened the pot. Well, that's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Is I keep paring Max Proby's not getting del for two first round picks, and he is getting delt. I think so, Like I you know, people call me a Raider Homer still on this show. No, they're not gonna be a good team this year, Like yeah, yeah me yeah. But like when I've changed my way, Jad, I'm not. I'm not living in dying with every Raider outcome. I'd even watch the preseason game last night. But yeah, like I think they improved, but I don't think they're gonna be a good team. I think that they win maybe four or five games this year, and then yes they were. I mean they did trade Max Crosby to the Baltimore Ravens, and it took Eric Decostak and cold Feet to be like not take him back, And now Max Crosby's like I want to be a Raider again. We haven't heard a lot of John Spytech in the offseason saying like, you know, this is off the table. I do think that if you know, they're one and seven or whatever, their schedule's brutal. By the way, just like they could win that first game against the Dolphins and they could lose up until the trade deadline.
Speaker 4: I think that they're gonna move him.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be where the Eagles, the Bears, rob with the Seahawks. Multiple teams are going to be in on Max Crosby, and then John Lynch, as he always does, will inquire about it and be like, all right, so what's gonna take And when he hears Howie Roseman's offering a first, a second and Nolan Smith or the Bears are offering this guy in a first round pick, and John Lynch is like, Okay, you know what, for this particular player, we got to go over the top here. I know that Mark Davis does not want to send him to us, but let's get crazy here.
Speaker 4: Let's give you two first round picks.
Speaker 3: I think that the Niners are in a position not light the Rams right now, but for that player, you got to make that offer.
Speaker 4: So you don't think it's a pipe dream. I think that.
Speaker 3: I think it's tough with these two organizations, but agreed, agreed. I think, as John Middlcoff said to us back in March, it's a new day and age with the Raiders organization, and John spy Tech and Tom Brady could go to Mark Davis and say, look, we know you don't want to trade Max Crosby to the Niners. Obviously. It's the reason we're in Vegas right now is because the forty.
Speaker 4: But if you feel like.
Speaker 5: You're gonna come out of it better in the end, even if the Niners were to go on and win, you'd have to consider it.
Speaker 4: Oh God yah.
Speaker 3: So if those two guys can convince Mark Davis this is the best offer on the table, we were offered two first round picks, we have to pull the trigger on this. I think he would, so I don't think it's a pipe dream. I also don't think it's gonna happen. I think that Mark would rather trade with another team. Sure, but if John Lynch is willing to go above and beyond for the deal, then yes, I think that he would listen, and we'll see what happens when we get to that point. But the reason I bring that up is because do you want to make a move now that could eventually or potentially stop you from doing that deal later on? Like what is Vedavea gonna cost you a second and a fifth and then a long contract extension. I don't know if I'm willing to do that at thirty one years old. Because Finavey is not a pass rushing defensive tackle. He is a run stuffer, and I know some people are like, I don't like the way the run defense played last night, all right, but Warner and Drake Greenlaw didn't play.
Speaker 5: Vidave is a dominant player, yes on the interior, and yes, more is a run stuffer, but he is a dominant player. So I think there is a benefit to having him on your roster if you can get him.
Speaker 4: I think your point is spot on in.
Speaker 5: Terms of and this is sort of where the odd comparison to the Warriors comes into play. It's the Warriors were unwilling to do a bunch of things because they were waiting on Yannas, So they were waiting on Lebron, and they were waiting on some other moves. So they didn't do a smaller move that might have helped them because they were waiting on this bigger move. And I think it probably is the right course of action in this case, if you think later on you could be in the mix for a Max Crosby, to not look to give up some of what you might wish you had to get a Max Crosby on somebody, even as talented as Vidavea.
Speaker 3: Now let me ask you this, He's kind of the same boat, different deal than Vidavea, but he's forty nine er fans were very upset when he got traded away. DeForest Buckner's in the last year of his deal as well, and he's cost you last.
Speaker 2: He cost you last. He's coming off a neck injury.
Speaker 3: I don't know where the Colts are gonna be with Daniel Jones if they're not a good team at the trade deadline? Would you rather have a DeForest Buckner for cheaper or Vita Vea where you're going you have to get in the contract on top of that, it.
Speaker 5: Depends on what you're gonna get in addition to DeForest. But like, if you're telling me you can get you can get DeForest Buckner for cheaper. But because you get DeForest Buckner for cheaper, you're going to have the ability to add someone else in addition to DeForest Buckner, because you've saved some of your.
Speaker 4: War chests, so to speak. Yeah, then I'm even more all in at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't think that would stop John Lynch from making another move, like again, going out of getting Vita Bayo.
Speaker 5: All what you give up, but it's what you give up determines whether you can't make another.
Speaker 3: Movement now, you know, but like, are they in that window right now where John Lynch is like, Okay, I give up a second, a fifth for Vita Vea and you know what Max Frock is available to I get up two first round picks.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's gonna be f them picks like less need.
Speaker 4: Is right now, that's a lot though, if you did that, that would be a ton.
Speaker 2: Well, of course that's your future.
Speaker 5: That would be a ton. And again, what makes you more willing to do it? Are you truly in the championship window right now? Is one part of the equation. Yeah, And but if this is gonna be a go into the season proposition, then you're gonna have to prove it as a team going through the beginning of the season.
Speaker 4: Like you're gonna have to be at that point.
Speaker 5: I forget how many games there are at the trade deadline for nine. Yeah, so it's if you're I mean, you're gonna have to be six and two, You're gonna have to be seven and two, six and three, you know, something like the probably six and three through nine at a minimum seven, you know, to where you are unequivocally, it's undeniable.
Speaker 4: You're going for it.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be less appt to do that if you're four and four.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, it's contingent on where they're at. That's where I think a season ago. But they will prove that or not, of course. But I also think like member fans last year being up in arms, like you didn't trade for Trey Hendrickson or Jermaine Johnson.
Speaker 4: It was the right call.
Speaker 2: It was the right call to do it, because honestly.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I said that at the time, by the way, so don't no, no, no, don't at me.
Speaker 3: But I also think that Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch at the time, we're not expecting them to be as good as they were given all the injuries and everything, and they're like, let's just see how it plays out and then maybe we can save our draft capital for something bigger down the line. I think Max Crosby is that type of player. I'm not sure. I know that they might be in the mix for Viteveo, but I'm not sure that they would pull the trigger on that right now. I think that maybe we'll see what happens to the trade deadline. If he is not dealt and Vida Vea is on the Buccaneers and he's pissed off and they're having a terrible season, then maybe they revisit that if they're not happy with the play of an Alfred Collins or a CJ.
Speaker 4: West. So, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that the forty nine ers are not in the same position as a Rams to go f them picks and go crazy like that for a player like Vitavea. But if Max Crosby's there and they will to go over the top, yeah, they're probably gonna Actually, you know, ask about that with John Spizek.
Speaker 5: And they have to prove in the part of the season that leads up to the trade deadline that they're on that level. Right, that's the added element, Like you can say you believe you're on that level now and do something and nobody would deny it or disagree with you. But once the season actually starts, then it's on the fifty three and the seventy man roster to be able to say, all right, this is what this team actually is and if you add to it it could be even greater. You gotta do it and We've seen the forty nine ers in years past be willing to be active at the trade deadline if there is an area in which they think they need to improve. So I don't doubt if the forty nine ers went out and started out six and two, seven and two, that they wouldn't be really willing to do something big that could potentially get them over the top.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: I wes see them do that in years past, whether it's trade for Christian McCaffrey or Chase Young and you know, in years up prior.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I do think they're going to be aggressive.
Speaker 3: I think they need to be a little bit aggressive right now given what's going on with Nick Bosa and not having a lot of depth as far as pass rushers. I mean, there's veteran pass rushers available, just on the older side. I remember Kyle van Noy kind of campaigning to be on the Niners. We'll see what happens with that. I'm not sure I love him at this point in his career. I think he's like thirty five Von Miller's older, but consistently always gets eight nine sacks a year, and you need that right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think you're probably waiting as long as you possibly can without obviously letting some of those guys come off the market to where you can attempt to bring them in at the latest possible date and also maybe have to pay the least amount yeah possible as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, Joey Bosa is still out there. It sounds like Nick's telling everybody, don't don't hold your breath.
Speaker 4: He's He's probably not He will not play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he will absolutely not play if he doesn't get the amount that he wants to play.
Speaker 3: It doesn'tem sound like he's ready though. It sounds like he's just playing golf in Florida. And there's other teams right now that you look at the Atlanta Falcons, their young pass rusher James Pearce is gonna be suspended eight games. They lost Jalen Walker for the season. So there's gonna be teams that really need pass rush show. We'll see the next couple of weeks here if the Niners are as aggressive as some of these other teams.
Speaker 2: Right now, let's catch up with Richard.
Speaker 3: Really, we'll find when we can catch up with Marcus Thompson, but let's catch up with the former Giants shortstop up next, it's dirty work at fifty eight Social on the Patio, John Dickinson Derek Papa on the sports Leader.
Speaker 1: She was the original number thirty five at third in King Jippers swing as rolls on a short and.
Speaker 4: A bad hop.
Speaker 3: Arelia somehow comes up with it, reaches to the banks with a pootout on the side.
Speaker 4: Is retired now.
Speaker 1: He joins Turney work every week.
Speaker 4: Here's the two to two pitch. Aurelia hits one.
Speaker 7: Dave and that baby is ho hair a grand play labron or rich Aurelia, and it's his second home run of the season and his first grand plan of his career. It is bored to nothing.
Speaker 1: For every Giant, which Arela on thee sports Leader.
Speaker 3: We do it every week with the former Giant shortstop and current pre im post analyst on NBC Sports Bay Area, Rich Aurelia. He is sponsored by I Love MORGANAM bizarre. When you've been injured in an auto accident, you don't just need an attorney, you need a heavy hitter contact. I Love MORGANA bizarre and serf side. It's not Seltzer, it's surfside. Proud partner of the Giants, Richie what's going on man now?
Speaker 6: Much that's going on a note of a lot.
Speaker 3: Big news today though at Oracle Park. The All Star Games coming back in twenty twenty eight. Just your thoughts on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I heard that. I mean I remember going. Actually I was still playing the last one in seven, and I remember going to the game and watching it with my with my sons at the time. And yeah, listen, it's it's a jewel of a ballpark. Regardless of whether the team is twenty one games under in first place, it's a jewel of a ballpark that major League Baseball should come ote. So I think it'll be great. I think it'll be you know, again, great city for it, and just a great, great ballpark to you know, basically represent major League Baseball for that All Star Game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I was going to ask you, and you have answered it there because you'd come back to the Giants right in two thousand and seven, so you were playing for the Giants and obviously young younger kids then, and it was it was Barries last year, it was Boach his first year. There was there's kind of a lot going on in two thousand and seven. What what do you remember about about the game, and just about the event being in the area for those those handful of days.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, on a personal one, I remember I went. I took my boys to the uh the the day before events like the home ruwn contests and all that stuff, and you know, they were they were way younger at the time and still totally into baseball, so they totally enjoyed that. I think I forget who was I might been Vladimir Guerrero that yeah, and he wanted hit went up to the gloves. Maybe I thought it was maybe him, But yeah, I think the city was just kind of really juice to it that year, because you know, coming off a couple of down years, I think, and and just representing, you know, just the city of San Francisco. And then what I remember about the game, and if I'm my mind's not, you know, faltering right now, I didn't she rose an inside the parker.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he was MVP. Yeah he did. Yeah, he slammed it off the bricks.
Speaker 5: And I think I think I think it was Griffy that kind of misplayed it or it took a weird carem And each year I.
Speaker 4: Was off to the races.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I mean those are the things I remember, and you know, I just this is my hope as a fan of the game. I hope that in this two year span that we're waiting to see that All Star game there, that they kind of figure out a way so like, you know, get the guys involved. And what I mean by that is like, you know, figure something out where you can get the best guys to play a couple of innings or pitch a couple of innings. And because I think the last few years is honestly, he's been kind of a letdown with you know, this guy pulls out last minute, this guy pulls out last minute, and then you replace him with another guy and another guy played, so like it hasn't really is it an All Star game anymore? I don't know. I mean it's a who's available game sometimes, And I hope they figure that out by that point because it should be a great exhibition for baseball fans that come watch.
Speaker 3: Now totally talking to Richard really on the Uma guess line. So Tony Vatila was on the Morning show the other day saying, it's great to have the Wall of Fame ceremony last week, but then they play the game and get routed and just you know, feeling a certain responsibility when your twenty games below five hundred and these forty one games remaining matter to a lot of players on the team right now. But in your opinion, Richie, one of these remaining games mean for Tony and establishing winning tendencies that could carry out, could carry over next season.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's funny you say that. You know, I didn't hear him this morning, but I did hear, you know, some comments early in the week about frustration and about not winning games. And you know, and I look at this in two different ways. I mean, Keny Bytello has a three year contract. And again I've said this multiple times on your show. You know this where I like Tony. I like him as a guy. I think he's got a good personality. I think he gets, you know, along great with the guys on the team. And at the same time, he's still is in the learning process. I mean, so it's hard for him. He was putting a situation this year, you know, maybe he was not the best chance to win while while learning at the same time. So you know, I'll start by saying that if you look at these last games that are going to be played here down the stretch, and I also heard him make a comment about I think it was the day that he pulled Tidwell. Yeah, maybe, And then they end up losing that game, and one of the questions from the Beat writers was, why'd you pull Tidwell? Shouldn't you, you know, leave him in there try and learn how to work out out of the jam. And I think Tony's response was something like, well, it's not about learning anymore at this point. We've got to win ball games. And I understand what he's saying, but I also believe that at this point you have to evaluate talent, and the best way to evaluate talent is to get guys out there and put them in positions that they might not ever have been in before. And I remember for years hearing, you know, guys like Maddox and Smolt and glab and you know, probably one of the last big Big three, you know, who were all in the Hall of Fame, say, you know how we learned how to get out of jams? And their answer was because they let us get out of jams, our own jams, right, And you know, and then I looked at the box square ifter Tony made that comment, and I was like, well, you know, he could have probably said, well, Tibow was at ninety six pitches. You know, you know, he's a young guy. We don't want to overdo it, you know. And I think, you know, for me, that would have been a great answer. But I think going back to these last games that you're playing, you have to see what some of these people could do, or some of these young guys could do, you know, on a I don't know if it's an everyday basis or if you're looking at them as bench guys next year, but you have to get an idea of what you have going into next year. And you guys notice as well as I do. The Giants won't say a rebuild, we know that, but you have to know what you're going into next year with to see at what level you can compete. And you know you're behind the eight ball because you got three teams in your division that I mean pretty much on paper you know, are going to look better than you. And it's an i'll kill battles. So I think I'd like to see them evaluate some talent and see, you know, if I need these guys fit into the mix.
Speaker 5: Next year, how much do you think Tony has to weigh the line between trying to get some wins to keep morale up and to keep everybody you know feeling as good as you can given the circumstances with the overall record versus sort of those evaluations of younger players and maybe being more understanding of mistakes that might be beneficial in the long haul, even if unfortunately they might cost you a game in the short term this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I look at it this way. I mean, if they win, you know, if you win seventy five games or seventy games. But honestly, there's no big difference there. And that's my personal opinion.
Speaker 4: It's just a bad year, right.
Speaker 5: You move on from it, and you're gonna be like, it's we had a bad year in twenty six or whatever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you'd like to think that and then just move on and try and learn from it. But along that way, I will say this, if you're playing teams that are in a race, and I've been on teams like this before, and you're playing teams that are in a race and fighting for a playoff spot, those are the teams that they're fighting with want you to put your best players in your best performance out there. So there's that fine line of like playing some games a little bit differently than others maybe, and you know, I mean you could tell them baseball sometimes if there's a winning situation in a game or a time where you can nail down that win, well, then now you have to go for it. But if you're down, you know, I don't know, four runs in the sixth or seventh inning, and you know, give give somebody a chance to work out of a jam, or give somebody a chance to get a big hit and see what they have because like you said, you know, it may look bad in the short term, but you may learn something about some of these guys for the long term.
Speaker 3: Talking to Richardrelia on the UMA guest line on the flip side of that, one thing ADYE. Begley was saying to us was maybe Tony needs to be more vocal with the older players and having them sit. You saw the other day Willia Domis he's battling a back injury and now it's aggravated again with where the season Z. Do you think Tony could have more conversations like that with the older guys.
Speaker 6: I'd like to think so I mean, you know, he is the leader of that team, you know, regardless of if he's ever done it or not before. And you know, I was around the team in spring training for that week, and I've been around it a little bit this year, and I feel like there is a level of respect for Tony, and everybody likes Tony, you know. I don't know if he's a little leery of, you know, going up to one of those veterans and say, hey, you're sitting today with I don't know, but if you're the manager of a big league team, you have the right to do that because you put that lineup out every day and you're making decisions based off what you think is best for the team that day and for that series and for the rest of the year. And Tony's brought in here for a specific reasons why he's here, you know, and Buster sees something in him and that's why he was hired. So you might as well, I don't know how to say it or like, so you might as well live it up and be the manager, right And if all the decisions you want to make, I mean, that's your job to hold or to win or to lose. I mean, that's what your job is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, completely, just your opinion, your observation of Tony.
Speaker 4: Did you think he was going to be.
Speaker 5: A little more boisterous than he's been Do you think he was kind of I think he's been genuine, so I'm not necessarily questioning that. I just sort of thought maybe he's a little more thoughtful than maybe people gave him credit for being not necessarily good or bad. But it kind of felt and I didn't know a lot about him because I don't really all of the college baseball than maybe once they get toward the regionals, in the in the College World Series and all that. But did you expect maybe somebody that his personality would be felt a little bit more on the day and out basis.
Speaker 6: I think Tony's a very likable guy when you get to talk to him and get to know him a little bit. Sure, But I also think he was put in a position that he's never been in before. I mean, listen, if you know, if you're managing a college team which is a bunch of kids from you know whatever, nineteen to twenty two, twenty three years old, and you're the guy, and listen, we all saw highlights and clips of him and his personality and how he was on the field in college. You know, I don't know if that translates to the big leagues, you know, especially in your first year. I mean, I think Tony's a great guy. I think he has a great personality. But I think as we'll see more of it, as he gets more comfortable, as he moves along, you know, through the end of this year through next year, I think we'll see more of it. And you know, I think again, I mean, I think one of the main reasons Buster brought him in here was because of the Buster exactly, because of the fact that he has that rapport with younger players, and I think the team wants to get younger. And you saw the moves that they made at the deadline. They did get younger, and they did get some good prospects. So, you know, I think it remains to be seen, at least this year, if we're getting the full personality of Tony. But I think we'll see maybe a different side of him next year after a year of learning and getting around the league and and you know, managing the team, and now he has some young guys that he can you know, maybe deal with in a.
Speaker 3: Different way talking to Richard Realia on the Yumaguest line. Yeah, this time of the year, you're hoping to see more of the young guys play, but there are season ending injuries to Casey Schmid and Trevor McDonald and now Daniel Sussak out for the year with a broken knee cap What your thoughts on that news, rich were obviously want to see these guys play a little bit more, but now injuries are.
Speaker 4: Taking them out of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know it injuries. You can never really dictate injuries, right, And you got, you know, each one of those guys, and I put at the top of that list Casey Schmid. He's kind of put himself on the map this year per se by putting up some numbers playing different positions, and I think which showed me more about him this year. And I'm going to be honest, I don't know if I was a Casey Schmid believer going into the season, but what I saw him do offensively and the improvements, especially when he was asked to play, you know, forty eight different positions out there and still focus on his offense, I think that was very important. It's a good learning experience for him and a good way to measure his focus, and we saw that he was ultimately focused this year at the plate. And then you get the other guy, I mean, Trevor McDonald. We saw the highs, we saw the lows, right, I mean, it was a split bag for him. And then Sue Sak, I mean, I think you're looking at your catch through the future there, I really do. And it's just, you know, it crushes you when a young guy like that, right, Like just he hasn't seen to be able to kind of stay healthy all year this year, but I think we've seen flashes of brilliance from him that I think they can carry into the future and kind of rely on him as not only is a good defensive option, but as a pretty good offensive option moving forward.
Speaker 5: Richie, I want to ask you just to kind of go back to the All Star comments and you know the fact that the All Star Games has changed, and I think just from being an observer and somebody that's covered a lot of baseball and loves watching baseball, it hasn't been the same for me just to watch it, like I'm more inclined to take the vacation, you know, during that time or maybe do something else, and I don't get locked in on it.
Speaker 4: What do you remember.
Speaker 5: About two thousand and one and your All Star appearance because you were having a year and Barry was obviously having a year, and it was in Seattle, if memory serves, and they were having a year, and it was kind of the infancy of that ballpark, which is one of the best in the game.
Speaker 4: But what do you remember about just.
Speaker 5: What it meant to be an All Star and the experience of the All Star Game?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, one, I was totally honored because I remembered as a kid going to Shay Stadium as a Mets fand I remember getting those ballots where you poke the holes out right and then you drop it in the ballot box right on the concourse. And you know, in two thousand and one, I think that was still before online voting. So for me, the biggest honor was actually being voted in as a starter for that game. And it was regardless of my numbers. It was just like, Wow, fans voted me in, you know, And okay, maybe there were a lot of our fans, but you know, I got voted in by the fans to start the also game. So number one, that was just such a great honor. Number two to be. I mean, we had a third of the lineup with me, Barry and Jeff in there playing, you know, simultaneously starting that game. So that was an honor to where the Giants uniform and do that, you know. And then when you get to the aspect of the actual event and the game, I mean, it's like a blur, it really is. It's like that that workout day and the home run derby day just is like there and it's gone. And then the next day you got to get there early to sign all the paraphernalia that's lined up in the batting cages down there for everybody, and then next thing you know, you have a couple of bats and you're done. But I will say this that the highlights for me of that game was me playing short stuff as a kid who watched Cal Ripkin and that was one of my idols playing his last game, and you know, hit that home run the left center field I think it was off Chanhope Park. That was pretty amazing for me as a fan of the game and of Cal Ripkin. And then two, I mean, thankfully there was no injuries, but Tommy was sort of getting almost speared by Vladimir Guerrero's back coach at third base and rolling him back on his on his back there at third base, and then Barry ran out there to give him some catcher's gear to put on. You know it if you look back at his player. I wish I would have made more All Star Games, but the one that I made, I try to make the most of it. I enjoyed it as much as I could. And uh, you know again, it's an honor to have that on your resume, no matter where it is, when it is, or you know what position you're playing.
Speaker 5: Well, don't don't sell yourself short, because I think you led the National League in hits that year when it was all said and done, if I if I'm not mistaken, I think you had what to over two hundred, right it was?
Speaker 4: Did it was over two hundred?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it was two six and led the National League, right yeah? And and of course, you know, with being the competitor I was. We got at the end of the year, and I think the San Francisco record was two oh eight and I missed that by two and I was kind of ticked off I didn't get that. But yeah, you know it. And here's the other funny thing. I think at the time was the game I was actually leading. I don't know if it majoras is definitely naturally. I was hitting like three fifty five and I was hitting ninth in our lineup that year. I was the last bag again introduced on the bench. They're all by myself at Safego. So that's how loaded. That's how loaded that the lineups were back then.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 5: I don't remember that I may or may not have been young enough to have punched a few of those ballots with you and Jeff and Barry.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll admit that to you that that was always fun to do.
Speaker 6: I always needed every vote I could get.
Speaker 4: Man, we do it every week with rich Aurelia. Rich.
Speaker 3: Thanks is always Man. We're talking next week, all right, guys, take care of me, all right, have a go one to really you can listen to that interview on the sports Leader dot com or the Sports Leader Rap. We're gonna be joined by Larry Krueger at five thirty to talk about last night the forty nine ers, the first game action of the season. I believe will finally track down Marcus Thompson to talk to him at five point fifty. But next, let's talk about last night in a way where Robert Sala, the guy that led the forty nine ers defense for many years, came back a year ago camera he Morris be the next Robert Sala. We'll talk about a next John Dickinson, Derek Papa at the Patio fifty eight social on the Sports Leader