Speaker 1: To the faithful.
Speaker 2: Sirs too, dub Nation, and to those who bleed orange and black.
Speaker 1: Good morning. This is Murph and Marcus, Bryan.
Speaker 3: Murphy and Marcus the Waterboy Bouchet streaming live a twitch dot Tv slash the Sports Leader.
Speaker 4: Ah, Good morning, everybody, Happy Wednesday, August fifth. It is the Murf and Marcus Show, where I believe it is now week five of the Brian Murphy vacation Extravaganza. My guy Murph, I don't think he's worked a full week over the last two months. He's off once again on the East Coast for the rest of the week. So it's my guy JD once again and back in the saddle this morning here in Daily City, John Dickinson filling in for the next couple of days here on the Morning Show, where of course we are breaking down all things forty nine ers as we're getting closer and closer to the NFL season. We've got some Warriors beef on Twitter, Kevin Durant versus Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. And of course we've got your Hagondes who wait for it, got walked off for a Major League Baseball high tenth time last season. Oh Jung Ho Lee back on the Warning Teck can't find the ball, But I found my co host this morning, JD.
Speaker 1: What's up brother? How we doing today? What's going on?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: It's always fun to be with you and great to be together again here and we will for the next couple of days. Life goals, Life goals.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: That the Murph vacation plan. Oh, I mean, like I got to figure that one out.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're telling me I've learned a lot in my five six years now working on The Warning Show with Merph. But he will strategically take a vacation day. I can't remember the last tame who worked a full week.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I will tell everybody after these three days. He's telling me at least that he's gonna work the next three weeks, but I'm not sure how much I believe him. But we are about three four weeks away from the NFL season, so he better get his ass back in the studio for a full time gig.
Speaker 1: Because JD, after watching.
Speaker 4: Another walk off loss for the Giants last night, I'm just ready to go full fledge in on the forty nine ers.
Speaker 1: Moving forward, Yeah, we got some quarterback tiers to get into as well at some point. And really, I mean, how often, just to come back to the Giants and the way that the game ended, how often this season has one night's hero turned into the next night's goat Yeah, or even or even that night's hero turns into that night's goat Allah Willia damas great point going back. I mean, it's just it's it's unbelievable when you look at you know, Jung Huli goes double dong on on Monday night and the get a big win back a logan web in the midst of all the trade deadline chaos and new players in the clubhouse and all of that, and then the next night you have Jung Hulee with a defensive misqueue on a ball that should have been made, you know, played should have been made, falls down, stumbles allows after a nice comeback, a couple of comebacks in that game, and Bryce Eldridge coming up with the big base hit to tie the game in the top half of the ninth inning. So there are some young bright spots played tidwell pitch pretty well after the first inning, and you know, he's obviously going to be in the mix for a rotation spot for twenty twenty seven. So some of the younger players kind of taking the center stage, but one of the veterans, even a veteran that's been a quality player, winds up being the player who makes the catastropar. That's the takeaway from me from last night's game.
Speaker 4: It's all about the future moving forward post trade deadline and the Giants moving a lot of players off the roster, a lot of guys getting opportunities. So today's show might be on the three b's, Bassabe, Bryce and Blade. And when I'm thinking about three b's, no, I'm not talking what is it big baller brand, No, we'll leave We'll leave the ball family out home and talk about Basabe with the big home run, his third in the last four games. Bryce Eldridge off the bench, ties the game also in the ninth. But then we get to jung Hole and this is something I got to get off my chest early JD.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the official scoring and first it was rolled a hit, then it was rolled a ground world double.
Speaker 1: I hate this. How is that not an air?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Oh? I get it, because in baseball you have to touch the ball for it to be an air. Literally, no scoring rules. I mean, I mean that that is awful.
Speaker 4: It's something I've always disagreed with as a former pitcher too. It used to drive me nut when an autphab were to take a terrible route. They'd like running on a fly ball. The ball goes over the head and then they come back to Doug. I's like, oh, well, that's not on me. I didn't touch the ball. That's that's a blanket air. Jung Lee's got to catch that ball. I don't know if I'm on an island here by myself, JD. But and every single way you want to slice it, whether or not they scored it that way, that's a ball that Jung Holi can make.
Speaker 1: He should have made that play into me. That's an air. Yeah. And I think if you really want to get into the minutia of it, maybe there could be a misplay scoring adjustment where there might be a new category, not not that has to be listed on the scoreboard or anything like that. We can go our h e for the vibes, for the history, for the culture, but maybe there does need to be some like misplay thing that can affect earned runs and earned run average and all those sorts of things. But yeah, it's just I'm with you. I mean, it winds up in the literal nature because he didn't touch the ball being a double and a game winning hit for the Rangers in that one. But it's just it just it's just been that kind of freaking season, man, where one guy's hero turns into the next night's goat, and in ways that you don't even expect. Because Jung Huli with the move to right field, has been has been excellent. Yeah, he's been great to share it offensively, yeah, And so it's just kind of a bummer. But the wins and losses at this point don't really matter as it relates to the Giants. It's more about the individual performances and more specifically the individual performances of the young players Tidwell, Basabe and Bryce Eligery.
Speaker 4: You had no question about it, and it was nice to see Bryce Ojic off the bench yesterday after there was some talk pregame that he would only be available as a pinch runner dealing with a little bit of a thumb issue. Sounds like he's got a chance to be back in the lineup and back at first base today, and he should be after coming through clutch yesterday, lefty lefty matchup against one of the best relievers in baseball who was an All Star this season Lass for the Texas Rangers. He gets the job done. That's after Basabe tied the game as well. I don't know if we're onto something here with Basabe, but three Horme runs in the first four games. It's the type of production you want to see from one of these young guys getting the opportunity because JD there's gonna be a ton of opportunities moving forward, not just in the lineup, but also in that rotation. And Blade Tidwell yesterday making his first start as a member of the San Francisco Giants, now not his big league debut, made a couple starts last year in the Mets organization before he was traded over in the Tyler Rogers trade. We saw him earlier this year when he made his Giants debut and got a save in his first outing. The three inning saved, the rare save that you don't see too often, and I was really hoping he'd have a chance to I don't know if this has happened before, get a save in his first appearance and a win in his first start, did not get the win, did not factor into the decision. Dylan Smith got the loss last night, but I gotta say pretty good outing from Blade Tidwell to settle in after a bit of a rocky first inning thirty two pitches, is able to get through five innings yesterday, two earned runs, three strikeouts on the day, got nine whifs on the slider, and he's one of those guys that's looking to take advantage of all these openings in a rotation after trading away Robbie Ray and Tyler Mallech.
Speaker 1: And I think the type of picture that can provide I had an element that the Giants haven't had in terms of, you know, maybe somebody with a little bit more swing and miss stuff. And I think we've seen Carson wizen Hunt come up and yes, up and down. He started great, and it hasn't pitched as well as time has gone on here at the big league level. But he's also somebody that gets a lot of swing and miss and has you know, special a specialty pitch that will allow him to get that. So those are sort of the nuanced things that you focus on here. With less than a couple of months now, to go in the season. But let's just keep it a buck. I mean, the Giants have three rotation spots open, yeah, twenty twenty seven. Not that they're all going to be filled by any you know, anybody or everybody that's currently on the roster to finish up twenty twenty six. But a big part of the equation, now that the Giants have made the moves that they did at the deadline, part of it is, we talked to Zach Managin about it, You're opening up opportunities for others to come up and essentially audition at the major league level. And yeah, tid Well had been in the big leagues with the Mats and the Giants obviously previously, but he gets really the first opportunity to audition. And I'm with you, I think he was pretty solid overall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think when you are looking towards twenty twenty seven, twenty twenty eight, hopefully if there is baseball in the near future, you start thinking about what that rotation could look like. If it is logan web, I say you would pencil and land and roup as that second option. Right now, Trevor McDonald is now having surgery on his elbow, so he had an opportunity early this year. You're looking at Tidwell, Carson Wizard, Hunt will get the start today. Maybe we see a tug boat Matt Wilkinson some point soon in San Francisco. All those options are on the table. After the Giants traded away six members off the active roster, and a bunch of them made their new debuts. Yesterday saw Eric Miller getting out in the sixth inning for the Boston Red Sox one and done as a lefty specialist. Elliott Ramos was hitting clean up yesterday in pinstripes, even though he forgot to button up his bottom buttons. His belly was hanging out the Elie Ramas over four hitting clean up with the Yankees. Luisa Rice already making an impact with the Philadelphia Phillies, had an RBI single and an RBI double in his first two at bats. So you're seeing some Giants players already have some success, but also some new debuts around the league. How about Scooble getting his first start with the Dodgers last night and the Dodgers taking an l A lot of talk right now about how the Dodgers have ruined baseball. There was actually a plane flying a banner over Wriggley yesterday that said the Dodgers ruined baseball. Well, they've now lost five straight games, their biggest losing streak of the season. It was nice to see Scooball and the Dodgers get knocked around last night in one of the biggest stories in baseball.
Speaker 1: Jd Yeah, in a playoff like atmosphere at Wrigley and the Cubs had a little something for him. This is not the same Cubs team that the Giants faced going back to June. The Cubs we were pretty awful, I felt in the six games they played against the Giants compared to the team that they've actually become. So much of baseball is when do you play teams? But if you had told me that this Cubs team in the first week of August would be doing what they've done to the Dodgers in the first two games of that series at Wrigley Field, based on what we saw in the head to head matchups that I think were split three and three between the Giants and the Cubs. But Giants could have won five of those games, if not all six of those games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's when I was drinking beers out on the bleachers at Wrigley that day. They put up eighteen runs. But JD surprise, surprise. Even in that series, I saw a walkoff loss from the Giants PCA with the walk off one of the ten that the Giants have suffered the.
Speaker 1: Seas as she did in a blown save with the game tying home run as well, And so yeah, the Cubs able to get the win there, and they were able to split the six games head to head despite the fact that, again the Giants were highly competitive. So when you play teams matters again, this isn't that Cubs team. But yeah, how about the Dodgers a little bit? Is it karma? Is it? Is it karma? Marcus? I'd like to think it's karma or are they just getting it out of the way now?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean there are dog days of August. Yeah, I mean, it's.
Speaker 4: Almost like they're at the point where like they're kind of like the kensit the Chiefs where they can kind of just play with their food during the regular season and then they're gonna turn it on during the postseason. I don't know, but you're right, last night did feel like a postseason environment out at Wrigley.
Speaker 1: I hated that turn that term. It doesn't come up anymore obviously because of the where the Warriors are at, but there was nothing, and I know folks in the Bay loved it because it was the Warriors and they had the I used to I hated that. Play with your food.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just play with your food from it on the third quarter and you'll be alrighty ah.
Speaker 1: That's so disrespectful, even if it is the whole team.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, Jad, I want to make sure you're not rewriting history about the Warriors playing with their food, because there's there's a lot of rewriting of history going on. Kevin Durant getting into it on social media with Klay Thompson and Draymond Green yesterday. That's a topic that we can dive back into, and Jad, you mentioned it. QB Tears are out its football season Hall of Fame game tomorrow night, and then one week from tomorrow, forty nine ers are taken on Mike Holders Tennessee Titans. So a lot to dive into with the forty nine ers injury port with the Giants, Triple B's in action last night, Blade Tedwell, Bassab and Bryce Eldridge trying to have a comeback effort before Jung Ho Lee misplays the ball on the warning track. Once again, the Giants walked off for a MLB high tenth time this season. Eight away cambre is the number if you had any positive or negative takeaways from last night's game. We'll break it down all day long as we get you closer to an eleven thirty five. First pitch today out in Texas, Giants will try to win this series on the road, but so many things to get into. We got the guesses coming up from Wall on the other side. Good guesses today with a bunch of topics that dive into. It's Marcus Bouchet and John Dickson and filling in from IRF on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: Now back to murphin Markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the sports Leader dot com at knbr V sports Leader app.
Speaker 1: The two to two pitch, a swing and a fly ball right field, moving back on at least still on the move going.
Speaker 5: Back, reaches out, he can't make the catch as he falls to the ground. It bounces off the warning track and up over the wall and the Rangers will walk it off.
Speaker 1: Here at the bottom of the ninth.
Speaker 2: Five to four.
Speaker 4: Ah the sights and sunds of Jung hou Lee having a bad ninth inning yesterday after being.
Speaker 1: The hero just a couple of days ago with two home runs.
Speaker 4: Let's a ball drop for a ground world double was the official scoring. The Texas Rangers walk off the Giants once again. The are walking off disappointment, and I gotta say I'm disappointing with the tech sign already coming at me earlier this morning. Surprise surprise, that is, of course the Golden Saint Lumber and Showroom tech Ligne eight one to eight says, come on, guys, there's no rule in the official rules book that a player has to touch the ball for it to be an air. And I'm like, look, I'm not arguing with the official rule book. I'm just giving my own take as a former pitcher, as somebody gets pissed off when somebody overplays a ball or has a bad route. Nine two five says, as somebody who is as somebody who cost our pitcher a no hitter in high school. I agree with you, Marcus. I misjudge. They play ball and I ran in the ball saled right over my head. But I'm blaming the coaching. Not sure if we can blame Tony Vaytelo on this one. I'm just blaming Jung Ho Lee for a bad read and a bad ending for what was a pretty entertaining game by the young Hagantes battling back multiple times. I stand by my take. Whether or not the official scores book a grease with JD. I think that's an error in my book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look it's it's the written or unwritten rules of scoring. It's not the official you know, Major League Baseball rule book in play here, so we can debate it. But yeah, it was. It was a misplay clearly that winds up costing the Giants an opportunity to get the extra innings and and maybe pull off what would have been again on August fifth, now one of the better wins of the year. For all the games the Giants have lost and walk off fashion and you've laid out it's league leading and all that's too many to count. I've lost count. I think you mentioned the number that I had already forgotten because I'm just omitting it from memory. Ten a ten A blank in ten. They've been walked off ten times. But it just doesn't. I know, they've had a couple of walkoffs, but they just have not had the comebacks the walk off Like, they have not had anywhere close to the level of heartbreaking losses in comparison to the feel good wins. I know, the Bryce Eldritch Grand Slam and the big comeback is the one that stands out. But really other than that, like, have they absolutely thieved another game all year?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Not really, not middle in one.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Have they had a couple of walkoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've had the Bryce Odridge Grand Slam oracle where they battle back what was eight to one or ten to one, whatever the.
Speaker 1: Hell was nine to one in the eighth. Yeah, the battled all the way back.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's been one of the glaring issues for the Giants this year, seventh, eighth, and ninth innings offensively, and then you look at the bullpen and the problems that they've had. Obviously, it's been a huge issue, and it leads to the fact of why they're now forty eight and sixty six on the season.
Speaker 1: And then in a couple of these instances where they have had comebacks, whether it's last night with Bryce Eldridge able to get the base hit to tie the game or a Damas sitting a home run to tie the game. They've tied the game and then gone on to to get walked off on in a couple of those instances. Even going back to the weekend in Chicago that we talked about, they ended up getting a big late inning hit a couple of them, and then immediately PCA does him in there. So it's just more of a watchability, maddeningly frustrating type of a point than anything at this stage really matters in terms of obviously the wins and losses because it's all about development. But Giants fans are really taking it on the chin this year when it comes to not having a lot of those special moments but then also really getting gut punch after gut punch after gut punch off on the L side.
Speaker 4: And it seems like that misplay by Jung Ho League kind of sums up the Giants twenty twenty six season hashtag nothing like it There truly is nothing like what we've seen from this team this year.
Speaker 1: But hey, we are in the memory making business. As bus or Posey told.
Speaker 4: Us, that's definitely going to be a play that I remember but maybe we should just move on because to your point, JD, who cares about wins and losses at this point they're forty eight and sixty six. There were eighteen games under five hundred on the day of the trade deadline, which led to bus Or Posey making some I don't want to call him toughnesss hell. They are decisions that we talked about for a couple months leading up to the trade deadline. JD.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they made the moves that needed to be made among the players that are going to be you know, expiring deals and free agents here coming up. They also make the Elliott Ramos deal, a player with some team control left, and they're setting up the future in particular, they're setting up their pitching future in a major way. So now it becomes about development and opportunity for some new players that haven't had that as much for this year. A lah Blade didwell. Who were watching run back here his first start and first inning currently as we do the show, Yeah, Blade tib well last night, Carson wasn't on today. Some guys that are looking to grasp onto those opportunities and maybe take a hold of one of these spots in the starting rotation next season to show buster posey in the front office what they have. But I know what we have.
Speaker 4: That's a guest is today, Walter, Q up those horns, turn on that microphone, Walter, give me that guest list. And of course this is the guest list on the Murphy Market show that is sponsored by El Crito Honda. More than just a car dealership. We're family, aren't we, Walter? We're family? What's up, brother?
Speaker 1: How we do family moment? Proud dad moment. I'm proud that you got that reading before I had to ask you. I know, look at me.
Speaker 4: I'm so responsible, even with Murph on vacation. Now, I know Murph and I have gone back and forth about the technicalities of whether or not a misread on a fly ball is an air or not. Walter, what's your take on the Jung Holy misplay? Should that be credited as a hit or should that go in the book as an air?
Speaker 1: Absolutely error? I mean, I mean, come on, what are we talking about?
Speaker 7: If you misplay the ball and it's on you, like, I don't know what else has to constitute for it to be an error.
Speaker 1: See, that's why we are family, just like El Sirito.
Speaker 4: Walter, we're on the same page, all right, give me to that guest list, because I feel like we might have somebody who played in last night's game on this guest list.
Speaker 1: Walter, what have we got lined up today?
Speaker 7: We do, so let's get to it. First thing on the guest list today, we got the Worldwide of Walt. We're gonna ask you some questions. I think this is JD's second time, or it might be his first time in the World World of Walt.
Speaker 1: First time, so your first time in that you always remember your first time.
Speaker 4: You never forget your first And I love the fact that Walter announces himself as the first guest on the guest list, of course.
Speaker 7: As it should always be. As it should be, I always am on the guest list at twenty eight. So anyways, that is at seven point fifteen, and then we go follow that up with Mike Kruco at seven.
Speaker 4: Thirty looking forward to breaking down Blade Tidwell's performance last night with Mike Kruco and some of these opportunities in the starting rotation and in the bullpen.
Speaker 7: Moving forward, switch the conversation over to Finer forty nine ers training camp. We'll talk to Matt Barrow's at eight to fifteen.
Speaker 1: I got a film.
Speaker 4: We're going to talk about injuries, injuries and injuries with Matt Barrows at eight fifteen this morning, Walter. And then we got the Cooler of content at eight thirty. Good stuff in the cooler of content. Like I said, we've got some sound from Kevin Durant comparing the twenty seventeen Warriors to the twenty twenty seven twenty twenty six Philadelphia Sixers.
Speaker 1: That's a topic we can dive into.
Speaker 7: And then you mentioned talking Blade Tidwell with Mike Kruco at seven thirty, Well, why not talk to him himself at nine to fifteen Blade Tidwell from the Mound at nine to fifteen.
Speaker 4: How about Blade Tidwell making his first start as a member of the San Francisco Giants last night and now getting.
Speaker 1: His first interview on the Murph and Marcus Show. How about that? It's JD.
Speaker 4: Filling and from MRF will continue some of these trade deadline discussions. Next, react to the big picture that Buster Posey is building before we get into some Warriors, forty nine ers and the wide world of Walt talk.
Speaker 1: At seven fifteen. JD.
Speaker 4: And Marcus back on the morning show on The Sports Leader KNBR.
Speaker 3: The Sports Leader Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the sports Leader dot com at KNBR The Sports Leader.
Speaker 5: App Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I guess you can characterize it with how you want. I wouldn't necessarily say a rebuild. I mean, obviously we moved some some six major league players off of our roster today. I guess the messages is we're not satisfied with the way that we've played this year, in the last few years, and we're trying everything we can to to continue to build a product that that we can all be, you know, excited to come and watch.
Speaker 1: And that was really the goal.
Speaker 8: And this is can we even if we have to subtract a little bit now, can we potentially add some players that we think our fans are going to be excited about and hopefully wear a Giant's uniform for a long time.
Speaker 4: Don't call it a rebuild, don't call it a comeback, as L. L.
Speaker 1: Coole J Will tell you on the Rejoin.
Speaker 4: Even though the Giants almost came back like last night in Texas, ended up getting walked off again and of course, that was the voice of bus Or Posey talking about the new look Giants roster after trading away six players off the active roster before this year's MLB trade deadline, which led to multiple new faces in the lineup. Last night, Basabe once again at the top of the order, saw Leonard over at shortstop, Grant McCrae back in the outfield, Christian Cost. Kind of a cast of misfits in this Giants lineup, but those were some of the moves that the Giants had to make after I don't know if you want to call it a rebuild JD. Maybe a retooling, maybe a reshuffling. Definitely a reshuffling of the Giants farm system and some of the top prospects that got back in this trade hall. But any way you want to slice it, Buster Posey was a seller at this year's trade deadline. What was your message that you got from Buster?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it, it's a rebuild of the future of the pitching staff, I think in the pitching depth, I do think you could characterize it as a rebuild in that vein, although the Giants obviously don't want to use that word. I agree with with Andy Baggerly who said, hey, it's not a fire sale because they couldn't get rid of any of the bad contracts that they wanted to know or were open minded to probably a better way of saying it. And they didn't look to trade Logan Web or Jung Hulee. And so I think, you know, again, maybe we're mincing words there as to what it matters, but I think they tried to add a in essence, do the bare minimum right. They moved all the guys that were going to be free agents for pieces that fit into the future, and then they create opportunities for others to step in and be evaluated between now and the end of the regular season, and then they're going to look and see how close or far they are away from being able to build a team that can potentially be competitive if there is a two thousand and twenty seven season. So I think they're trying to thread a needle that might prove to be too difficult in terms of wanting to be competitive to the extent that they can next year, while also shuffling in a lot of ways based on not only the moves at the deadline, but the draft picks. Going back to the middle of July and the players that are already making their way up the Giants minor league system, in particular at the lower levels that are starting to come up, So that part screams rebuild. But I was having this conversation earlier in the week. You look at the lineup for next year, There's still gonna be a lot of veterans that are that are penciled in for next year. So I wouldn't call it a complete youth movement unless somebody really earns the opportunity here over the last two months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you're looking at this lineup right now and you expect to see Daniel Sussak back behind home plate next year and Jung Huli out in the alphiel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it seems like he's Yeah, I don't think they know that. I don't think they know who their starting catcher is. Interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have both Kruk and Kipe on earlier this week and they said that they're looking at Daniel Sussack as the catcher of the future. Now, things can change pretty quickly. We saw how great Daniel Sussack was in his first twenty four at Bets. That led to the Patrick Bailey trade, then struggled a little bit with that elbow injury, but I thought he's looked pretty well behind him plays.
Speaker 1: I think that's I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I think it's fair to say that that's the plan right now. Yeah, Yeah, I'd say sussak in pencil as one of these players. You look at the players that are going to be written in with penn or Sharpie. Yeah, the guys you're stuck with, You're Rafael Devers, You're Willie Domas who has been dealing with that back injury all year. Matt Chapman, who you might not see back in the lineup again this year. Got some news yesterday before the game from Tony Vitello that Matt Chapman is flying out the Philadelphia not to be traded to the Phillies with Luisa Rise, but he's gonna go see a specialist and surgery is a possibility, and there's a chance that Matt Chapman doesn't play again this season. Kind Of a weird story there, with an injury that wasn't taken too serious at first, at least from our perspective. Now, it sounds like Matt Chapman might be shut down for the regular season, but of course, he's one of those three contracts that is stuck in sharpie in your lineup next year, moving forward and for the foreseeable future. So big picture, the point I'm making here is JD, You're still gonna have five or six guys from this year's current roster maybe in the lineup next year. It's about trying to fill out the remainder of the roster and figure out those pieces that you can move forward with.
Speaker 1: And I don't necessarily know that the Giants are gonna hand those roster spots for twenty twenty seven to younger players. Maybe they do. Maybe maybe there are a couple of players that they get a look at between now and over the final two months that that put themselves in the conversation, But I don't know among the young players. And I think you're probably right and everybody's probably right on Sussak. I mean, he'll get the opportunity, you know, probably at the beginning of next year in Eldridge, But that that still leaves I think, what two or three spots. I mean, if you want to, you want to go around the horn, I mean, they you know, it is Casey Schmidt just going to be the second basement next year. I don't think we know the answer to that question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you pencil him in as a utility guy, but I'm not sure what position you're putting him at next year to start right.
Speaker 1: And he's he's a younger or a player kind of entering his prime that I produced, and I would say he did earn the opportunity to be put in penn somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and whether that's at second base or left field, which is kind of ironic after Elliott Ramos became the first man to start back to back seasons and left field since Barry Bonds, he gets shipped out and maybe there's a new streak starting up with a different left fielder every opening day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think if you pencil it out, I think it's fair. Like I said to put Sussack there, Dever's an Eldridge or first base DH right, we know that second base I feel like is an open spot and a question mark. Maybe it's Casey Schmidt, maybe it's not. I think Adamas and Chapman pencil at shortstop and third. Now maybe a Damas becomes second and you look at somebody else at shortstop there, maybe Casey Schmid's and left. All that being said, they do have I think three spots that are up for sure at second base and the outfield, and I think the center field, leftfield, centerfield. So it's and are those spots gonna go to young players next year? I don't think we necessarily know that. If the Giants are gonna be intent on trying to be as competitive as possible for next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's what the remainder of the season is all about, is seeing what you have. And I know there's gonna be some interesting decisions to be made, whether or not they do call it a guy like Bo Davidson and if they want to put him on the forty man roster, but that could also lead to some problems next year if there's a potential lockout. Gonna be an interesting strategy to see if they maybe want to keep some of these younger guys in the minor league system so that they don't have to deal with the effects of the lockout. But I think all options should be on the table, because after trading away six active players from your major league roster, that's what we're doing here, That's why we're still watching. That's why we're still paying attention, Like we've even got people checking in this morning on the text on saying look, guys, I don't really care about the results or what the Giants record is, but I was at least entertained last night and encouraged a little bit by seeing Basab hit his third home run in the last four games, or seeing Bryce Odridge come off the bench with that pinch hit knocked lefty on lefty, or maybe even seeing a flash of a blade. Tidwell or Carson wasn't on today. It's all about the future, and it feels like at least the Giants know which direction they're heading towards instead of being stuck in the middle and saying, hey, we might be competing for a wildcard spot. No, there was no questions asked about the direction of this franchise at this year's straight deadline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was the right call. Again, I think they handled that appropriately get given their situation, and we knew this. I mean they telegraphed it seven weeks out. I mean you can go back to the middle of June when it was basically Buster posey at that point, and I think the Giants were or fourteen under at that point, So it really acted in two different ways. The reporting on the Giants being willing to listen on the expensive, longer term contracts that they had signed, and at that point, obviously Devers was looking more disappointing than maybe he is now as it relates to his overall numbers. But I think them being open for business for that long was an admission even then that hey, this ain't it like this team this season? Ain't it? And that's the one thing we've seen from Buster Posey is a confidence in the willingness to pivot off of things that don't work, even bold moves that he's made that have kind of flamed out to this point. He has been unafraid to say look in the mirror and say this is not working. We have to try to go in a different direction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's something that I was encouraged by listening to Buster Posey's press conference after the trade deadline. And we should remind everybody that it is Buster Posey week here on the Murphy Market Show. He'll be joining us tomorrow at seven thirty am on The Giants Executive Show. But at his press conference after the trade deadline, he was talking about the trade with Luisa Rise to the Philadelphia Phillies, and he mentioned the name Ramond Marquez is the top pitching prospect that they got back at this year's deadline, and he said, look, this is a guy that we've had an eye on for weeks, for months, We've kind of been scouting him out.
Speaker 1: And it's like, oh, well, that's good.
Speaker 4: That means that they've had this thought process of needing to go out and make these trades because they've been.
Speaker 1: So bad all season long.
Speaker 4: So I like that they've been kind of proactive in scouting out some of these prospects and trying to make some moves and trying to rebuild this farm system.
Speaker 1: Because Buster Posey for his flaws and his faults in some.
Speaker 4: Of these contracts that he's stuck with, he knows that the past success is homegrown talent in some of these younger prospects in the farm system, and that's why you got to rebuild it throughout the trade deadline, which is why we saw a guy like Blade Tedwill last night who came in a return package for Tyler Rodgers at last sure straight deadline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, the appropriate moves and even if those moves created holes that were never filled for this year's roster and became a big part of the conversation. Obviously with moving on from Dovall and Rogers still the right move at the deadline, at least in my opinion, to move off of those guys and try to get younger and begin the reshuffling of the farm system, which I think was among the try and compete now goals. The big, big goal was to try to fix the farm system as he took over for far Anxiety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, it's not apples to apples when you compare it to the forty nine ers right now, who have a lot of veterans but also a lot of young guys on their fifty three man roster. It's not like the Warriors and the two timeline plan. Like in baseball you need to have two timelines. You need to have three timelines, arguably because of the minor league system and seeing you're seventeen and eighteen year old and nineteen year old prospects and how they match up with a guy who's twenty one like Brezeldridge, but also a guy who's twenty nine like Logan Webb throwing a twenty seven year old Casey Schmid, a thirty three year old Mat Chapman or whatever he is. You've kind of got to mix and match your pieces more. You can't just go with one specific timeline.
Speaker 1: It does feel like a little like the Warriors with the two timeline thing. But I think you're spot on in terms of the fact that you got to give fans something to hope for as well. And you know, the future is Bright has kind of been the mantra for the Giants here based on I think, first and foremost, even going back to bringing Bryce Eldridge up at the beginning of May amid the first real hey, this team isn't what we thought it was gonna be, type of a moment through through April and coming off of that zero to six trip to Philly and Saint Petersburg. Hey, let's get Bryce Eldridge up. Future is bright. Hey, let's acknowledge the fact that there are a lot of really good young players that in a ball essentially that are gonna be you know, let's start focusing more on those guys and talking about how great they're doing and projecting where they may fit into the future equation. You've got that level of it and then you've got their draft, which was widely praised. And again I'm no expert, but those who are experts in that believe that the Giants did excellently in the players that they drafted, not only with Jackson Flora but others. And again you go pitching first, taking the number one pitcher on the board with the number four overall pick, and then you go to the deadline and to what extent were the Giants really going to look to do it. I know we had the debate for weeks about what do you look to move Logan Web. I think they could have turbocharged even what they did, but they, I think in some vein trying to have the best of all worlds, knowing they were still going to be stuck with certain players. Choosing to keep Web and choosing to keep Jung Hulee who have been productive players for them, and the style of player that I think they want on their rosters at their respective position. So there's a value in that, I get that, But then flipping the players that are free agents again kind of making the safe move in terms of the decision, but also by virtue of those who are experts far more than you or I getting a lot of prospects that project to come back and be factors. Now you never know, but it's something else. It's the third wave, essentially, the guys already in the system, the guys you just drafted, and now the guys you're getting back at the trade deadline. Three waves of sort of the future is bright, the future is bright. The future is bright. Let's sort of shift away from the disappointment of this team that we were all kind of talking playoffs about back on March twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when we all thought this offense had the potential to maybe carry this team to the postseason. They're obviously not headed towards the postseason. But when you are looking at the first two years of bus or as bad as the record looks, the farm system looks so much better. And that goes back to this year's draft class, that goes to the trade deadline, that goes back to trading Patrick Bailey for tug Boke Wilkinson and also getting that twenty nine pick that they used on Carson Bowlman this year. And then you look at what they did in the international signings as well, with guys like Jos Joshu War Gonzalez and Luis Hernandez. The problem is those guys are seventeen and eighteen years old, so you're gonna have to wait a while to see some of these top prospects. Let's go ahead and check in with a few callers we got this morning. Vic in the Netherlands has a questions about the Giants' young prospects and the young talent within the organization.
Speaker 1: Vic, what's up, brother, You're on the Murphy Marc Show.
Speaker 6: Good morning, guys. I appreciate you taking my call. Yeah, I got a couple of questions about the farm system. We're mostly the directors, the executives within the player development. I'm not that familiar with who's running what, but it seems like a lot of farhands previous guys were promoted, I mean in the form of an Asian and Randy Win and so forth, and I'm kind of curious, are they the guys that really get the most out of these prospects. It seems pretty clear that the Giants are going ahead for a top five farm system by the Internet year, and can we rely on the same old guys to get the most out of these prospects or are we going to kind of ruin these guys, you know, in anticipation of twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, vict it's a great question because, look, in the five six years that I've been on air now, I've talked about a lot of prospects. I've talked about Marco Luciano and Joey Bart, even Hayden Bird Songs and Landing Rubes and Kyle Harrison's and Carson Woods and Hunts, and look, you're never gonna have a one hundred percent hit rate on prospects, but it almost feels like you have to take the strategy of just stacking up as much talent as possible. Now to your question about development overall, I think that's still TBA or should I say TBD to be determined, Because we saw a guy like Kyle Harrison make his Giants debut, show some flashes, then he started to struggle, get shipped out to Boston, get shipped out to Milwaukee, and it seems like Milwaukee was able to develop him turning around, move his arm, angle down, move him to a different side of the mountain, and tweak some things. I don't know if we've had that much success from this Giants system. I mean, Bryce Eldridge is a perfect example. But Vic, that's also hard to maybe determine whether or not that's the Giants development or is that just Bryce Eldridge, the stud being that he is.
Speaker 6: I totally hear you. I guess my perspective is it seems like other organizations, especially winning organizations, seem more in our prospects after they leave our system. To some believe it, Ramos or the Yankees, clearly they see something with it. And maybe that's just a small park where he doesn't have to really play much defense in left field and you can just rake, But it always seems like we don't get that much out of our own prospects. And when the good ones leave, at least with this regime or the past far Handergem, they excel. And I'm kind of worried about his posey put the right guys in place to get the most out of these guys that were gonna let them. The Nations and so forth, just kind of moto some more of our prospects and I'm hoping not fingers crossed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm with you. Vic, appreciate the call this morning. I think that's kind of the hope in strategy for the organization. And look I've had the same questions because you can go through recent draft classes for the Giants, going back over the last ten years, there haven't been a lot of hits. But you're hoping now that maybe things are different with a different approach, different strategy. With them drafting twelve pitchers with their twenty picks this year, it seems like they might be going a different strategy with contact first hitters, with Gavin Keelyn and Trevor Cohen, a couple guys they drafted a couple of years ago. At least, it feels like there's a little bit of a different shift than the strategy JV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the question is always going to be are you drafting the right Are you drafting the right guys versus the people that you have developing them? And I think to this point, for the most part, I don't think that Giants have drafted or signed the right guys, you know, in going back to the far Han era. But the one thing about players that are drafted in that era is there are a lot of teams around Major League Baseball that that similarly evaluate analytically, and so I think there are a lot of teams around baseball that look maybe more at some of the guys that far Han brought in and think that that they're aligned with certain ways that that they can be fixed, if that makes sense. So when you look at at say a Kyle Harrison in the like now ramosk goes even pre dates you know that that's back to Bobby Evans, that goes back to the Bobby Evans that even pre dates far Han. But I think for the Yankees it's just, hey, they needed another bat. They think his bat will play in Yankee Stadium, and they're they're ravaged by injuries as you know, so they just need people that, especially you know, right handed bats right now they can mash left handed pitching, which just something that Ramos has done well. I think in the grand scheme, teams view Ramos as a platoon player and not an every day player. I think that's sort of the rat on the table that hasn't really been talked about as much locally. Maybe you guys have talked about it. I think his view around baseball moving forward is Lefty masher part time player pitch hitter as opposed to every day starting left field. Yeah, I would agree with that take.
Speaker 4: I think he's eventually going to be a platoon guy once Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger and those guys come back for the Yankees.
Speaker 1: Even next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe next year. I know Trent Grisham's going to be a free agency to move forward, but you look at that process, that plan. But also last thing I'll say before we move on, you look at the trades that the Giants were able to make at this year's trade deadline, bringing a guy like Marcelo Meyer coming over from the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 1: That was a guy that was a top five draft pick just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: Last year was ranked ahead of Bryce Eldridge in the top one hundred prospects. Obviously, he has not had that instant success that Bryce Eltris has had, but he's one of those guys that maybe the Giants are trying to pluck away from a different organization, put him through their development process, and maybe they find something after being able to beat sellers at the trade deadline and flip Eric Miller a bullpen arm for a potential piece moving forward, a guy you could see potentially at second base this season once he recovers from injuries. But those are all topics that we can continue to discuss as the future is wide open for the San Francisco Giants. But instead of talking about the futures of the Warriors, let's talk about the past. Because our good friend Kevin Durant is trying to rewrite history. He's got takes on the twenty seventeen Warriors versus the twenty twenty six sixers and Lebron James decision to take his talents to Philadelphia. It's Marcus Bouchet and JD. John Dickson filing in for Mirth on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: Listen to the Sports Leader anytime anywhere Downloade, KNBR. The Sports Leader app Murph and Marcus continued live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios. Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you just drop in one eight hundred gamp.
Speaker 6: Boy?
Speaker 1: Their contenders for sure?
Speaker 6: I'm a kidding You.
Speaker 7: Don't think so?
Speaker 1: No, I'm just asking you.
Speaker 5: Last time they played quote three twenty point scores on the team, they said.
Speaker 1: It was unfair, which is the team I was in. Yeah, they got four twenty five point scores in the sea. So hell, y'all think it will be a contender.
Speaker 7: Man, that will be a great.
Speaker 1: Team to watch.
Speaker 4: Uh, Kevin Durant back in our lives and we are back again live on the Murph and Market Show on a Wednesday morning, John Dickinson filling in for the rest of the week for my man Brian Murphy. And I should tell you that you are listening to Canby r AIM and cambyr FM, San Francisco, the Sports Leader a Cumulus Media station. And that was Forever Warrior Kevin Durant given his take on the new wo look Philadelphia seventy six ers after making the signing of the offseason bringing in Lebron James, building a super team out East and now it feels like KD is almost taking shots at his former team and his former teammates now JD. This comes a couple weeks after Kevin Durant had comments about how he viewed the Warriors as an underdog franchise before he signed with them. This, of course, came after he blew a three to one lead against the Warriors and a season where the Warriors won more games during the regular season than anybody else in NBA history. We know how that season ended, and then what happened in twenty seventeen once Kevin Durant joined the roster, but now KD is I don't know if he's rewriting history to make himself look better or at least feel better. But trying to compare Lebron James joining the seventy six ers to the twenty seventeen Warriors team, JD, what was your take on Kevin Durant first of all, even comparing these two rosters, but also kind of taking some stray shots at Klay Thompson and Draymond Green throughout the process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I I don't know what he's trying to do. I think he always is trying to come off as as keeping it a buck and being honest about everything. But he always One thing I noticed about him is going back to his press conferences and being in just about every one of them post game. Back in that KD era in the three years he was with the Warriors, he tends to always when he's asked a question, go with a contrary opinion. He just didn't like like you could. He was a type of guy that you know, do you think do you think coach wants wants you guys to do that?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: I don't see it like he would always subtly say the opposite to almost any question that was asked. Uh And and so I'm not sure what he's getting at there in terms of, you know, trying to make himself feel better for joint the Warriors are comparing the two teams in essence that this Philly team on paper is better than that Warriors team from from twenty sixteen twenty seventeen, I mean the Warriors. Yeah, I think maybe he's got a point in terms of underdog franchise going back to then, but it's asinine and the other thought because they just won seventy three games coming off of a championship, And I do think it is a little bit disrespectful, not only to Steph, because like I mean, Steph was better than anybody by far on this this Philly team currently before Lebron obviously comes and joins, and we can, you know, we can debate that, but Steph then is a lot better than Lebron.
Speaker 4: Now, Steph was a unanimous MVP and as great as Lebron. James Courrier is isn't his forty now? And like even if you want to say, oh, Jowell Embiid was an MVP, not at the same level Steph Curry was.
Speaker 1: No question, not not at the same level as Steph Curry was. And I think Klay Thompson then is better than anybody that the Sixers have. Now I would agree.
Speaker 4: With that take, which is why Klay Thompson actually responded to this post, because when Kad was comparing these rosters, he said, it ain't even close. LMAO, that's laughing my ass off. He talks about the talent that the seventies that the seventy six ers have on the roster and then took a shot at Klay Thompson and say, Klay Thompson never won an MVP. Excuse me, Klay Thompson never an MVP candidate in nothing. And so Klay Thompson goes, hey, man, you good. Why are you using my full government name on social media? Why are you calling me out? And it feels like I'm not saying Kevin Durant is the one rewriting the history on Klay Thompson, but this younger generation of NBA fans who don't give Clay any respect as one of the best two way players in the league at that time, not only one of the best three point shooters. In the league.
Speaker 1: It feels like maybe Klay Thompson at this point.
Speaker 4: Is underrated in his career, because yeah, I don't know how you can say a guy like VJ. Edgecomb at this point is already better than a prime Klay Thompson.
Speaker 1: And I don't even think MAXI right now is better than a prime Clay Thompson. Jalen Brown, I think is debatable obviously at this point. I mean, but he's been in a similar fashion to Clay being the number two to Steph. Jalen Brown was at number two to Tatum, And yes, it gets skewed a little bit because Jalen Brown won the finals MVP, but Tatum was viewed as the one. And I think that's part of why things didn't work in Boston ultimately, was as Jalen Brown started to view himself as higher in the pecking order. I think the Celtics viewed it more as no, this isn't necessarily the one in one A. It's more of a one and two, and you're the two, which is why we're more comfortable moving on from you at this particular stage rather than continuing to pay you premier number one type money. Again, already done it they'd want to touch. So I think that's actually part of why they pivoted in Boston, is the fact that it's a little more clear cut internally than maybe it appears from the outside. Yeah, and so like there was never that question with the Warriors. No, it was it was step back to back and unanimous the second time MVP. But Clay was not only one of the best twos in the league in terms of two guards, but he was the best two in terms of number two option in the league. Going back to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't think the analytics ever had Klay Thompson as the seventh best player on the Warriors roster. Shout out the Boston Celtics analytics department that led to that Jalen Brown trade that led to Lebron James now joining the seventy six ers. And outside of these Katie comparisons, JD your comparison, Like, yes, Katie has a point that all these guys can average twenty points per game, but the game is more than just getting buckets. How are these guys going to mesh? I don't think they're all gonna score twenty points this year. Even Draymond Green said, like if I'm vj Edgecomb's agent. I'm not too happy about the season moving forward because my guys numbers are gonna go down, which is gonna cost him some cash.
Speaker 1: But I don't know JD.
Speaker 4: Your comparison ross to the roster, it feels like, even if you want to look at these teams on paper, the Warriors had much more depth than the seventy six Ers team is gonna have this year.
Speaker 1: I think they had more top end talent and they had more depth, And I think there is a question as to how all these players are going to fit together as great as they are individually, just from a cohesive standpoint, because I mean, the Warriors were a freaking unit, man like they and then they dropped KD into that thing and they were humbling Like I don't think there's much of a doubt that the Warriors team from that era is better than this Sixers team, given the age and given what the players on Philadelphia have accomplished to this point in their careers. For some the younger guys Maxi and Edgecumbe, and the fact that Embiid at this stage is a shell of the player that he once was. Like if if we're talking Embiid from you know, four or five, six years ago. Then I think difference the one. I think we're having a little bit of a of a different conversation. But I think KD is failing to account for that now. I think he's looking at name talent and and I think he's he's having it both ways. He's treating it in his mind as if it's the old Embiid and the old Lebron, right, meaning the younger Embiid and the younger Lebron. But also he's giving the benefit of the doubt to Maxi and Edgecombe as as like play of the rise, they will be trying to be So he's trying to have his cake and eat it too. Uh And and I don't know, I mean, there's just there is. He just continued to feel some kind of way about his time with the Warriors, and it never, it never, in his mind, my take, lived up to what he thought it was going to be in terms of the accolade aids personally, in terms of just the feeling that I think he was going to get from winning a championship. I know I've said this a lot, and look, nobody fully knows what's going on. In another man's head. But I always got the impression that KD he he just at his core he wants to hoop. And I think he loved the way the Warriors played basketball, and he thought, hey, I'm a I'm a guy that has to be a carrier and do it in my own way, but I can fit into this system beautifully and just hoop with great ballers in their prime. We're gonna win. I'm gonna get that title, and I'm going to get to experience how that feels to get over that hump. And I think when he experienced it, he looked back and it didn't. It didn't. It didn't fulfill him in the ways that I think he thought it was going to fulfill him. And then I think he also thought that maybe he wasn't getting enough credit for helping to put those two teams that won the titles over the top. And I think that led to, you know what, I got crushed for this. The the feeling, the joy of winning the title really wasn't what it was all cracked up to be. So I'm just gonna go look to ball with my buddies in another town.
Speaker 4: He was trying to have his cupcake and eat it too. And he's after being nicknamed a cupcake for leaving OKAC like he's already always been a little sensitive to the outside noise. That's why he was famously on burner accounts, and even Draymond Green yesterday on social media said Slim thought he was on a burner account. Maybe Katie accidentally posted this quote, but regardless, I think you're right. He wanted the credit of winning a championship and being a Finals MVP, but he also wanted to be the lead horse, and it feels like he doesn't get a lot of that credit because of what the Warriors established before he joined the team, no doubt, and.
Speaker 1: I think that was something that annoyed him as time went on and ultimately led to him leaving. I also go back to I think he came in and really appreciated initially the Warriors culture and the selflessness. And I think this is not a state thing, but I think he loves playing with, love playing with Steph, loved how genuine Steph was as a superstar but also as a human, just kind of being up close with him. But I also think as time went on, he began to think that the Warriors culture was kind of kind of fake, like like it was like Steph was at it, but like the rest of it was kind of concocted or revised. And again I'm not saying he's right, but I think that's what his view of it was. And so it just kind of got less and less like something he wanted to be a part of.
Speaker 4: Ye things got kind of weird at the championship parade with Bob myersk and his comments about Steph Curry and his contract and how Katie had to earn it, and then things got weird and it led to Marcus Thompson said, man, Katie l Katie left, and it sounds like there's not going to be a reunion anytime soon, but we will have a family reunion coming up next because it is time for the wide world of Wall Wall get all the toughest questions in the sports world. Before we talked to Mike Kruc, who had seven thirty, a little forty nine er talk with Matt Barrows at eight fifteen, and Blade Tidwell, who got his first Giant start last night at nine fifteen. This morning, all coming up here on the Murph and Marcus Show with John Dickinson filming for MIRF.
Speaker 1: I'm the sports leader