Speaker 1: Well, the city council might only give you sixty seconds to where your grievance is.
Speaker 2: Oh hi, I'd like to go to the first caller on the phone.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're lucky, now we're giving you a full sixty minutes. It's a KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang and our long recap of the day's top local stories. Fun your drive home, and unlike the City Council, we're the perfect vehicle to actually get your voice heard. The JABC News Blitz with Randy Wang starts no, No, No.
Speaker 2: It is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in the state of California, Southern California, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, in the Central Valley. I compile a list every single day of all the stories that I found that you might find interesting at Randywangradio dot substack dot com, and make sure to check out our YouTube channel Johnny Don't dot com for the John Phillips Show and the Accountability Podcast. Let's get right into this. You may have heard that there was a debate last night in Sherman Oaks between La Mayor Karen Bass and her challenger, city Councilwoman Nythia Ramen. It was not broadcast anywhere that was easy to find because they put it out on Zoom and they ran out of participants, so unless you subscribe to the Punjabi Live channel, it was really hard to watch this thing last night. But the Sherman Oaks Homos Association did put it out on their YouTube page this morning. So let's listen to it all together. I'm gonna tell you right now, I have listened to this entire hour and a half debate, which luckily the show's only an hour and we have commercial breaks, so I can't play you all of it. But my one takeaway is, as I tried to decide between voting for Karen Bass or voting for Nithia Rahman, because those are my only two choices, you cannot write in a candidate for a runoff, as much as you want to write in Spencer Pratt, you cannot do that. And as I listen to these two candidates blame each other for everything, blame the county for everything, the only thought running in my head is if I have to choose between voting for idiot one an idiot two. The vote I really want to make at this point is to vote with my feet and move out of the city of Los Angeles, because these are my choices and I'm not happy about it. Without further ado, here is last night's disaster of a debate, moderated by one of the best in the business, Phil Schuman of Fox eleven.
Speaker 3: Mayor Bass. Obviously, homeless is the big issue.
Speaker 2: So yeah, wasn't she supposed to solve that by twenty twenty six? I guess not.
Speaker 4: We're going to start just by asking you to remind our audience, tell our audience what your priorities are, if you have to list the top priority or top two or three priorities, given where we're at in twenty twenty six, given what you know has worked and hasn't worked.
Speaker 5: First of all, good evening everyone, I'm happy to be here with you today. In the street homelessness period, we absolutely have to do that.
Speaker 2: You said you were going to do that, but now.
Speaker 5: We need to increase massively the number of Angelinos that we get off of our streets. We need to look for less expensive ways, moving away from motels, using city owned property, to put up new and improved and more modern shelters and also providing the services that people need. We've already started to do this. As a matter of fact, just last week we cut the ribbon for one of these developments in an adjacent city council district. But we have to get people off the streets.
Speaker 2: It's hard for you to hear, but I can hear it because I have headphones on. There's a siren going on in the background.
Speaker 5: But after that, we actually need to transform the entire system. The city needs to be in control right now. One of the fundamental dysfunctional features of the system is it's governed by the city, it's governed by the county, and it's governed by LASSA. So, for example, the city gets people off the streets and into housing, but LASA in the county controls who moves from shelters in interim housing into permanent housing. The other thing the city and the county, the city and the LASA control is the services. So, in other words, the county.
Speaker 2: If you're confused yet, well, welcome to Los Angeles, Shaggy. You are right.
Speaker 6: The bureaucracy is real, and it's.
Speaker 2: One thing that I'll agree with Karen Bass. Our system and the way that it's set up is a joke. The problem is Karen Bass is not running as a first timer here. She's been in office for four years. So it took her four years to realize that our system that we've had for thirty years is a mess where the city and the county don't talk to each other other. And they created LASA to start talking to each other, and they still don't talk to each other. And the whole point was, Oh, we're gonna, you know, we're gonna make sure that we stopped passing the buck and blaming the city and the county, blaming the city and the city, blaming the county. Well, nope, we're doing lots of that.
Speaker 5: He controls the services and you know, and everybody in your nose. Until we address drugs and until we address mental health, we will not be able to end homelessness in this city.
Speaker 2: All right. That is fascinating. Karen Bass has been wandering around for the last four years, not wanting to talk about the drug crisis and the mental health crisis. She will specifically go on and talk about her chicken and egg theory that she believes that you probably started doing drugs because you were homeless, because and you remember what she said at that opening of the of the housing for elderly in Woodland Hills, you need to you meth at night or you're going to get sexually assaulted on the streets.
Speaker 5: We also know that it's a chicken and egg issue.
Speaker 2: Now because she's trying to run to the right of Nethia Rahman, she'll admit that it's a drug problem that's driving what we're seeing on the streets.
Speaker 5: That is absolutely an imperative given that the county and LASSA determines who gets the housing. What that means is is that sometimes they put people from neighboring cities in housing that the city controls, that the city pays for, and so we absolutely have to get the services. If the city controls the system completely, we can have our own contracts with federally qualified health clinics to get people the healthcare that they need, especially in terms of drugs and mental health. I believe in ending street homelessness, period.
Speaker 2: But here's the question, what have you been doing to move us towards that? Because this whole administration started with locking arms with the county, Well, we're not doing that anymore. What we're saying is we don't need the county, and maybe that's the point. I will say. I do think our system is a mess, and I think this is true for so many different categories. The County of Los Angeles is too big, the City of Los Angeles is too big. The governments do not meld well, and they do not talk to each other, and they constantly blame each other for everything. So maybe we need to split up the county reduce the size of the city. Maybe we need a system like San Francisco, where the city and the county are the same entity. San Francisco has its problems, but at least you don't have the city and the county passing the buck back and forth because it's the same people.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Still shocking to everybody in here that thirty years into this we're still debating the structure and the hierarchy and the strategy.
Speaker 2: That's right, So, Phil, can you run for mayor? You have a bitter head on your shoulders than these two combined.
Speaker 4: Council person ram in two minutes, same subject.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I think Angelino's are really fed up with this issue. They're fed up with spending hundreds of millions of dollars a year and not seeing the results that they deserve on their streets. I think they have lost trust in faith in the system, and by the way, people on the streets have lost trust and faith in the system in.
Speaker 6: The system as well. Can you guys hear me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Great, We're in like a high school auditorium for this thing.
Speaker 7: And I feel like the last three and a half years, where this mayor has spent four hundred million dollars on inside safe refused audits, spent heavily on a program that has sent forty percent of participants back to the streets, and spent sometimes one hundred thousand dollars a year per person, have actually made some of these issues worse.
Speaker 6: And I've pushed back on this.
Speaker 2: That's right. I'm the voice of common sense at city Hall from DSA candidate at the Araman. Sure, and the.
Speaker 6: Problems that the system has had in city Hall. But here's what I would do to change it.
Speaker 7: One, within the first six months of me being in office, I would audit every dollar and I would track the performance of every dollar.
Speaker 6: And we've already laid the groundwork.
Speaker 2: And then what do you do when you have nonprofits that are either not helping the problem or making the problem worse, like I don't know, Homeless Healthcare Los Angeles, the nonprofit that we pay to pass out meth pipes. Are you going to cancel that program? I don't think so.
Speaker 7: For that in my time in city council, by creating data for the first time about beds and performance and outcomes, and I would use that to make sure all of your dollars are being spent wisely.
Speaker 6: Just like we did in my council district.
Speaker 7: The second thing that I would do is actually create the real leadership and management over this issue at city Hall. I've pushed to create a Bureau of Homelessness Oversight. It's been slow to be staffed, but we need to be in charge of these dollars right now.
Speaker 2: This is what the bureaucracy needs, is more of bureauocracy to look after the bureaucracy.
Speaker 7: Great city funds eight thousand beds, no one's in charge of filling them. No one is making sure that every dollar is being spent at city Hall, we leave it to someone else to do that. And finally, we need to deal with the mental health and substance use crisis on our streets. In my council district, we beg and plea for the county to show up, and they do sometimes.
Speaker 2: The one thing that Karen Bess and Nathia Rahman can agree at this pathetic debate is that everything is La County's fault. If that's the case, once again, maybe we shouldn't have a county that has ten million people in it. Maybe the city of Los Angeles is just too large and the county is just too large. Let's split it all up. Let's go back to the Valley Secession plan, and while we're at it, let's split up the county into five smaller counties. Because everything is run terribly here, and.
Speaker 7: We fill in the gaps by funding street medicine teams.
Speaker 6: I want to do the same thing citywide.
Speaker 7: No one's advocating for the city to get what we're paying for. By the way, with our tax dollars, we're paying for mental health beds that we're not getting, and I would be out there advocating for them using my seat as the mayor.
Speaker 3: Thank you, we're going to come back.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, so you might need to explain what the ground rules are, because if my opponent says something that's blatantly untrue.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's getting ugly quick here.
Speaker 5: Definitely want an opportunity to count it. So saying that it costs one hundred.
Speaker 3: Can you do it in thirty seconds?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 5: I said some beds saying that it costs one hundred thousand dollars, And you have said this on many occasions, that inside Safe costs eighty five thousand, one hundred thousand.
Speaker 8: Winks.
Speaker 2: Well, the monitor the number that I got for Monica Rodriguez is some of these beds are seventeen thousand dollars per homeless person per month. That's a hell of a lot of money. And where's that money going to? Wherehouse people in motels? There's a massive amount of grift going on. We could have cut all these people a check and the outcomes would be better. We could have not spent any money and the outcomes would have been better.
Speaker 5: You know perfectly well that the county reimburses for those services, which means if you look at inside Safe in your own department, and by the way, you are the chair or you were the chair of the Homelessness committee, and you know that we pay essentially the same amount for Inside safe as we do for other forms of it.
Speaker 7: We also pay for county taxes, so we are paying for art.
Speaker 3: We're going to come back to this issue. I can assure you we're.
Speaker 7: Paying for those costs no matter who's paying it, city or county.
Speaker 4: R The second general topic is public safety in the LAPD. Much debate over the LAPD's budget over the LAPD raises.
Speaker 2: Yes, Karen Bass has unsuccessfully tried to increase the ranks of the LAPD and if the iraman notably called to defund the police when she first got into office, over.
Speaker 4: The levels of personnel in the LAPD. So let's start with councilperson Ramen. When you were here during the primaries, you spent a lot of time defending your vote against the rais to the LAPD, saying that the money you need to be convinced that the money they already have is being spent correctly. Well, what are your thoughts to this group now several months later on public safety and the LAPD.
Speaker 6: Well, Look, everyone deserves to feel safe in the city.
Speaker 2: We need that, Yeah, So how can we get there? People don't feel safe, especially where this is going on in the San Fernando Valley, which has been plagued by NonStop burglaries.
Speaker 7: And we've been promised every single year that this mayor has been in office that we're going to grow the police force. And the contract I voted against gave salary raises to the PD that we couldn't afford. I think every city worker should be paid well. I think police officers should be paid well. This is not a dispute about that. This is about fiscal management of our public tax dollars. This contract gave raises to this PD that our city couldn't afford.
Speaker 2: Well, she's half right. What happened was and there is a true bidding war that's out there. La wasn't nearly as competitive as much safer cities nearby. But when the city council, Karen Bass, everyone voted to give the police a raise, the equitable thing to do was also to give raises to every single city department. And that is partially what bankrupt died the city and.
Speaker 6: We suffered as a result. We had a billion dollar budget.
Speaker 7: Deficit as a result, and now across the entire city, we cut street lighting, we cut pothole repair. We have more potholes on our streets than we did before. We do less graffiti removal than we did before. We absolutely need to be able to at least retain the size of the police force.
Speaker 6: That we have right now, but we are not doing that. We are actually losing people every single year.
Speaker 2: It's almost like it doesn't matter how much money you throw at this. The on the line officers know that either Karen Bass or Nythia Rahman or Uni Seas are the rest of them. Nobody has their back, So why should they put their life in the line to work here when they're much more appreciated in Burbank or el Segunde.
Speaker 6: And I think we need to do better.
Speaker 7: And you deserve a city that responds to your calls for help, that shows up and is the right person to show up.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, Nitya's whole idea here is nine one two. Call nine one one if someone's trying to stab you. But if it's just somebody who has a mental health crisis that hasn't stabbed you yet, well then call the unarmed Crisis Response and then when they get stabbed, then we'll call nine one one for the call for help.
Speaker 6: That you're putting out there. I think that's incredible.
Speaker 2: How many of our problems all stem from us not having looney bins anymore, us not having looney bins to put all the crazy people. Even though I don't think there's that many crazy people, there are some people out there that have schizophrenia. I'm sure it's it's it happens, and it is that we are not taking care of those people. But I think the vast majority we see on the streets every day is insanity and psychosis that was caused by drug use. It was caused by meth because we have decided to allow people to do meth on the streets thanks to our vote back in twenty fourteen on Prop forty seven, which correlation doesn't exactly equal causation, but that sure seems to be when the homeless problem exploded in California.
Speaker 6: Sobally important. So first of all, we need to do a few things.
Speaker 7: We need to make sure that we're getting clear data about crimes across every neighborhood under this mayor's leadership, we don't have that neighborhood level data, so we as residents don't know whether we're getting the kind of protection that we deserve. We need to make sure that we're changing our hiring practices. The last two recruit classes have had less than a third of the total capacity that they could. We can have sixte in each class. We have twenty in the last one, seventeen in the last one because our city hiring and personnel programs, which he's promised to change, have never been changed.
Speaker 6: But we also need to make.
Speaker 2: Sure Karen Bass has made a lot of empty promises. You're totally right in ethia, how are you going to be any better or that.
Speaker 7: For all of those calls for service where we don't need armed officers to go out that we're actually building out a citywide system.
Speaker 2: So what we need is to waste a whole bunch of money on ambassadors. You know, Unisses has this same idiotic theory. So here's what she'll say, and I'm paraphrasing. She'll say, you understand that every single time we have the police respond to a call, it costs about eighty five dollars. You understand that if we send out an unarmed crisis responder, these circle teams what have you, that's thirty five dollars a call. And you think to yourself, oh wow, that means we're saving a lot of money. Well, police aren't paid per call, and the unarmed crisis isn't paid per call. So now that we're paying the full time salary of the police officer and the unarmed crisis responder, each call to either of them is actually costing one hundred and thirty dollars. Hey, look at that, I did math. Stay right here. We've got a lot more of this awful debate and send me an email or give me a call at eight hundred two to two two five two two two if you want to react to this debate, or if you've come to the same conclusion as me, there is no answer here other than we gotta go. It is time to leave Los Angeles because these are the people that are going to be in charge and they have no idea what they're doing. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. Let's go to Mark in downtown La Mark.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hello, he wit Randy. Yeah, Randy, am my aunt.
Speaker 2: You're on the air.
Speaker 8: Oh, I'm on the good good good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: They got to round these people up.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I came in, you know, I'm driving downtown. I had a business around an event downtown for years, you know, so I know downtown. My wife's closed downtown to the tail to save some money. I always had my He almost stole my phone out of my car because he knocked over this crazy wacko lunatic. He docked over two of those you know, automatic little carts that deliver food. So I just I just signed. I waved my finger around, wagged my finger at him. I don't do that, don't do that. He came charging at me. My window was open, and I said, hey, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I knew he's gonna try and break my window or something. So he reached in, tried to steal my phone anyway, got my phone, but he got to round these people up. And this city is you know, I don't know. I say, that's a guy who live in Culver City, you know, and incorporated the city with rowan police force.
Speaker 2: But U yeah, that's the way to go. I'm telling you, it's to get out. Is it just mean? Did Mark sound like Joe Crummy? It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. Let's get back to this incredibly depressing debate between our only two choices for mayor, Karen Bass and Nithia Rahman, or as she's referred to by my friend Elizabeth barko'honna dumb mom, Donnie.
Speaker 6: Something I'm deeply committed to doing. I've created a plan for doing.
Speaker 7: We can take thousands of calls for service off of LAPD's plate and make sure that the entire city is safer.
Speaker 3: Do you want to follow up on anything she said?
Speaker 2: Or what you rather follow up?
Speaker 8: One?
Speaker 5: Just about everything that she said, But it is completely ironic that you're talking about the unarmed services such as the Circle program.
Speaker 2: When you asked Circle another stupid acronym program created by former Los Angeles mayor. Although I really pined for the good old days of Garcetti, I received things on both.
Speaker 5: Hope you in your district, like you have asked me repeatedly, we brought out the Circle program here. You have a lot of nerve talking about the hiring of police officers.
Speaker 2: You know what the valley would like police officers. The vast majority of LAPD is concentrated over the hill. The valley gets ignored in response times.
Speaker 5: And we've finally reached the point where we had a decent sized class and you voted against it, which was the reason we couldn't.
Speaker 6: Have the quit past. By the way, it didn't have.
Speaker 5: Voted against it, as you have voted against hiring police officers consistently.
Speaker 2: You talk about this is how these two work together. This is how these two talk to each other. Right now, what do you think it's been like the last four years? It is there's so much There is so much blame going around because nothing is working while in the City of Los Angeles, and the city Council is as equally to blame as the mayor for it. Nobody looks to.
Speaker 5: The police officers decently. We gave police officers a raise because we couldn't keep them in the city.
Speaker 3: Of lost sanity.
Speaker 5: I think that she's irresponsible in what she talks about because she talks about out of both sides of her mouth. She wants to study everything, and and I am one that believe in data and believe in studying. But the city Council and the City of Los Angeles is not an academic institution.
Speaker 2: We need to act.
Speaker 5: She does not act, she studies. I act. We got the police hired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but your actions have not led to more policing, It has led to less policing. So even if Karen Bass says the right thing, the problem is she's running on a record of well, whatever you've gun has not worked.
Speaker 5: Gave them the rays that they deserved.
Speaker 6: And by the way, that's sorry, that that was sorry. I do you all have called.
Speaker 5: And I acted?
Speaker 3: What what does you feel she said was true?
Speaker 7: I do want to say, we do have time limits here, so I just want to make sure that we're honoring them thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: If you took out all the times where both of them complained about not getting enough time to speak, this debate would have only been a happening.
Speaker 7: And I just want to say I voted for budgets that have maintained and even expanded our police force. What I have voted against is a contract that bankrupted our city.
Speaker 2: You know, there are other ways we could save money. Right, let's go back to topic one. How about we stopped spending money on.
Speaker 6: The That's really important to understand.
Speaker 3: We're going to come back to this.
Speaker 2: Interesting thought process, and you know it is something that doesn't get talked about enough. You know, we used to spend so much less on the people living in our streets, and there used to be so many fewer people living in our streets because the answer was if somebody is on the street smoking meth, you arrest them and they go to prison, and you know what that means. That means the state has to pay for them. But because of prison realignment and AB one oh nine in Prop. Forty seven, we decriminalize these things. So now those people that were a part of the state's budget to deal with whether they went to a state mental hospital, they went to a state rehab, or they went to prison, now they're part of the county's budget and they're part of the city's budget because we don't want to put these people away and we want to enable their drug problem. So it's blown the budget of a whole lot of cities, especially the ones that tell me.
Speaker 7: Sorry, we have to be good fiscal stewards. Words of our public dollars.
Speaker 2: Neither of you are and to pay. Can you imagine what this debate would have been like if it was Best and Spencer produp there at least we'd be having a real debate, not a blame public.
Speaker 7: Dollars for political games, no political support in elections.
Speaker 6: It's not the way that we.
Speaker 3: Should be running our business and the economy.
Speaker 4: Each candidate is two minutes to talk about their top ideas to stimulate business, bring business back.
Speaker 8: Make.
Speaker 3: Business and Los Angeles more business friendly. Let's start with may Or Best.
Speaker 5: Sure, well, I started working with the business community five years ago, and they had specific suggestions for why it was so difficult to do business here. I put those in the form of an executive directive, and in that executive directive, it ordered departments to make it easier to do business. We appointed a film Zar because filming in la is obviously our critical business, so our films are provides.
Speaker 2: Karen Bass, by the way, did hold a press conference today where she urged Rob Bonta and Paramount to settle this dispute that's going on in this lawsuit to block that merger because Paramount is very actively looking to move to Austin, Texas now. But then Karen Bass is like, and let's talk to some of the people that are helping me with what I think we need to do to solve these problems and get production back in Hollywood, And she brings on the head of Aatzi and look, I'm just saying this is a union member. We're never going to solve this problem until we admit that some of the problem here is that the unions have made their rules and regulations and minimums way too strict. And that's why production isn't just leaving Los Angeles, it's leaving California, and it's also leaving Georgia, and it's going to other countries Toronto, and it's going to the UK. It's because the unions are very, very rigid when it comes to what they think people should be paid. And I understand that's their moo, but when there's no wiggle room, people do go other place or services.
Speaker 5: For anybody that wants to film here. We've also reduced the price of filming, so if you ask me for things that I would do. In addition, we want to have a centralized Development Services Authority.
Speaker 2: Again, Bass been in charge for the last four years. When she talks about all the things that we're gonna do, why aren't you doing them right now? Yes, right now.
Speaker 5: To develop anything in the City of Los Angeles, you have to go through twelve different departments. So this centralized authority would be the lead agency, so you only need to go to one department.
Speaker 2: That sounds great. Why aren't we just doing that right now, like today, like instead of doing this debate, Why don't you go to start Why don't we Phil Schumann, seriously, can you run? Well?
Speaker 5: You say, why don't we have that already? Because the way the city has functioned, But over the years I have begun that type of transformation.
Speaker 2: Listen, this is, by the way, if you're wondering why we're seeing the rise of the DSA, whether this is a whether this is something that you know the DSA can actually do something about or not, the reason that the DSA are gaining in popularity, whether they can actually deliver on their promises or not. They're making the very real criticism that the establishment, and no one is more establishment in this room than Karen Bass. They tout incremental slow change as progress, and people have had enough. They want to see a wrecking ball. They want to see a massive movement. Massive change doesn't mean that they're going to get that or that things are going to get better, but that is one of the very real criticisms. Is talking about how difficult it is to do business in the city of Los Angeles. You've got to talk to twelve different departments, and over the last three years, I've been developing a change for that that isn't good enough. And when people see that government acts so slowly, cannot respond to the needs of its people, that's when people go to the extremes, whether the extreme populism on the right or the extreme socialism on the left. That is what is driving it is because right now the people that are in charge can't get anything done. Even if she's saying the right things, she's openly admitting she can't do any of it. Just like that video she put out last week where someone asked her to put a pothole and in the forty five second video she couldn't fill the pothole. We've got more of this nonsense. The big takeaway for me is pack your bags, folks. It is time to vote with your feet and get out of the city of Los Angeles. You want to stay in one of the incorporated cities in the county, go for it. But you know what, go to Orange County, go to Ventura County. It's time to go. These people do not deserve our tax dollars because the only way things are going to change is when people do The only thing they can do. Now, we can't vote for anybody who's got common sense, so we've got to vote with our feet, and I for one, am actively looking into this. Right now. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Kay ABC. Hey, do I have something exciting for you? Seven ninety KABC welcomes Allison Krause and The Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas with special guests THEO Lawrence at the Pacific Amphitheater on August twenty ninth. Tickets are on sale now at pacamp dot com, but right now call it number nine at one eighty eight seven ninety five two two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. Tickets furnished by the Pacific Amphitheater. Good Luck Dialing. Coming to the theaters this weekend. Tony the Bio pick about Anthony boar Dane that should probably get some people interested. Spa weekend which seems to be a fun, raunchy comedy. Ooh, a fun runchy female comedy that sounds fun. I might get the wife to watch that. And another insidious movie. I don't really do horror. Let's get back to one of the more depressing debates I've ever had to listen to Bass and Rahman at the Sherman Oaks Homeowners Associations.
Speaker 5: That we learned from the Palisades lessons that we learned from homelessness, where we had one stop shops. Now we need one central agency so you don't have to go to twelve different departments. We also need to expand workforce housing. One thing that I have done is fast tracked forty two thousand units of housing and also moved adaptive reuse so that we have been able to change hundreds of units of empty office space.
Speaker 2: Hundreds. You know how big this city is. These are such tiny, little nothing accomplishments into housing.
Speaker 5: But we need to build housing that are starter homes, such as town homes and condos.
Speaker 2: But we're not going to build any of those as long as we have the mansion tax. But you know that I have to.
Speaker 5: Change state law to do some of that. Because I served in Sacramento, I know how to get the law changed. So we have been working with businesses. We had forty five million dollars in new contracts for small businesses, and we've also been hosting summits for small businesses so they could prepare for contracts when the Olympics come in a couple of years. But in other words, for business to work in the city, the city has to be safe and we have to have an adequate number of law enforcement. A study is not going to get you there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but your policies haven't gotten us there either. It is a battle between worse and worser. Time to vote with our feed people.
Speaker 4: I don't know if she wants to study it as much as she was saying. She wants to make sure that the dollars are accounted for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what comes out of her work.
Speaker 4: So on the topic of business and the economy, to make Los Angeles more business friendly.
Speaker 7: Yes, so we we desperately need to bring businesses back to LA. We need to make sure the businesses know that this is a business friendly city again and right now. I've been talking to small business owners, restauranteurs, people who are involved in much bigger scale businesses across the higher city, and what they're saying is that they have a city hall and a mayor who has not invited them in and who has not created the supportive environment for them to grow sore.
Speaker 6: We here's what we need to do. We need to have a real economic development strategy. We are a big city. We're the second largest city in America.
Speaker 2: Should be much smaller. Cut the city in half, cut it in five.
Speaker 6: We don't have that.
Speaker 7: We don't have a place in the city that's tasked with ensuring that we're diversifying our economy.
Speaker 6: I would establish that in the Mayor's.
Speaker 2: The city is four million people. Let's divide it into four one million person cities.
Speaker 7: Office and eventually make sure that we institutionalize that function in the city. I want to make sure small businesses, restaurants, retail storefronts who right now see city Hall as an obstacle.
Speaker 2: It takes eighteen you're part of city hall, two months.
Speaker 7: To get a permit to open a bakery that I just visited in Canoga Park.
Speaker 6: It's crazy. We want their tax.
Speaker 7: Dollars, and yet we make it's so hard for them to open. We have to make it simpler and easier for people to open up.
Speaker 2: You've been in city Hall for six years. You're saying that you can't get any of this done as a member of the city council. Shouldn't we all be kind of working together to solve what seems to be very obvious problems and how awful the city of Los Angeles is run. Neither of these people are the answer, and this is your only choice time to get out exactly.
Speaker 6: The kind of small businesses we need to support.
Speaker 7: And they've been waiting four years for those changes, and those changes still have not come. Finally, under this mayor's leadership, we lost forty thousand film jobs and it took nearly three years to a point a film liaison, the point person for making sure a film can happen here. And we need a tax credit and advocacy in Sacramento for the kind of tax credit that is the same that Georgia has, that's the same that New Jersey has that's taking jobs away from here, a tax credit with no cap no.
Speaker 2: We also don't like to talk about how the prolonged writers and Actors strike also helped kill the industry here.
Speaker 7: That accommodates above the line. This is the kind of tax credit that Angelino's deserve and one that I would be the loudest and strongest advocate for.
Speaker 5: Thank you, She's going to be the strongest and loudest. She's going to be the strongest and loudest advocate for something that You have been on the city council for six years. You've been a City of Hall twice as long as I have. I realize you.
Speaker 2: Want to picture you're the reason this city sucks. No, you're the reason this city sucks.
Speaker 5: So as somebody from the outside.
Speaker 2: But where were you?
Speaker 5: You've introduced no motions for the entertainment industry.
Speaker 2: I was insec I help the people out there, and I don't think any of these people are actually listening to me right now. But I hope somehow, some way, the people who happen to not vote in the primary, I wonder how they're feeling about the choice that they have now in November.
Speaker 5: I'm advocating. As a matter of fact, I did the first tax when I was Speaker of the House.
Speaker 2: You were nowhere.
Speaker 5: Even when it came time to vote for the entertainment industry.
Speaker 2: You walked on votes.
Speaker 5: As a matter of fact, I believe you have missed several thousand votes because you don't show up to work.
Speaker 2: Fair criticism Karen Bass about Nitia Rahman missing votes and not being around to do her job, But who was it? Who was the mayor of a large city that abandoned the city during a very high wind event that was nowhere to be found when a massive fire started. Was that it was you You really want to talk about not showing up to work. How when the Boyle Heights warehouse fire started. She was in Chicago at the Obama party.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I have to be able to respond to that. I mean, this mayor, I think she knows.
Speaker 3: Have you missed several thousand votes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we all miss we all miss we all miss days of council, We all miss days of council. But she knows as well as I do that I have had regular absences because I've been appointed to external boards that lead me to miss regular council meetings because these bodies that I've been appointed to by the previous mayor, by this mayor, sometimes conflict with our council days. She also had some absences to take care of my kids or when I get sick, but nothing, nothing.
Speaker 2: Beyond the nor what a mess I'm telling you Right now, I am actively looking to move out of the city of Los Angeles, and these two are only accelerating that decision. Have a wonderful evening. Everybody will see you tomorrow for another news blitz with Randy Wang on KABC