Speaker 1: Well, the city council might only give you sixty seconds to where your grievance is.
Speaker 2: Oh hi, i'd like.
Speaker 3: To start go to the first caller on the phone.
Speaker 1: Twell, if you're lucky, now we're giving you a full sixty minutes. It's a KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang and our long recap of the day's top local stories. Fung your drive home, and unlike the City Council, we're the perfect vehicle to actually get your voice heard. The KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang starts no, No, No.
Speaker 3: It is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in California, Southern California, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, and the Central Valley. We cover all of it. I put a list together every single day of all the stories that I found that you may have missed at Randywangradio dot substack dot com and check out the YouTube channel for all of our arm demand content for the John Phillips Show and This Show and the Accountability podcast at Johnny Don't Like dot com. Our next guest is running for governor of California. His website is Goldentogether dot com. Steve Hilton, Welcome to the Newsplitz.
Speaker 2: Great to be with you, Rennie. How are you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing fantastic, except for the fact that I live in Los Angeles and it just took me an hour and a half to go seventeen miles to get from Culver City to my home studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something going on. We're heading north into LA from Orange County. It's a bit of a disaster. So, you know, this is what we have to deal with with these people in charge that don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: So, Steve, you have officially launched the second phase of your campaign as we go into November, and you specifically chose to launch phase two of your campaign in Boyle Heights at the site of the Lineage warehouse fire and ensuing disaster where residents feel like they're completely ignored from their local city and their local county leaders. The situation seems to be getting worse by the day, where now we have reports of disease spreading flies that are getting into the neighborhood and nobody seems to be doing anything to help for the people that are living there. So tell us why you decided to launch your campaign Phase two in Boil Heights and tell us what's going on down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a symbol of the failure of this one party rule. I mean, this is a working class Latino community that's been completely abandoned by the Democrats. And this is a party that goes on and on and on about how they're for working people and they're the Latinos and they're on their side, and that's all that you need to know, and just vote for us because we're your people. Meanwhile, an actual community has been completely abandoned, as you said, I mean I've been there many times in fact, since the disaster. But you had the fire raging for a week, and then since then for five weeks now more six, you've got we had eighty fights being removed. Now finally you had eighty five million pounds of rotting meat, and we were there in the middle of all that, and you had the flies. We took place with our event that we used to launch our campaign was at a small business owner who has had a complete collapse in his business because customers aren't coming, no one's helping him. Flies, rats disease. It's just a symbol of their failure right across the state because small business owners, working people in California are bearing the brunt of the insane costs and the taxes and the regulations. You know, I was a small business owner, ran restaurants for a couple of years in England. I've started businesses here as well, and it was back in England, and it's just a nightmare if you're running a business. It's a nightmare just to pay the bills. And that's why the focus of my campaign. We've got a very simple message for this phase of our campaign. Enough is enough fixed California. It's practical, it's not ideological. There's many people here in California who know that we need a change. There's a majority for change, and that's who we're speaking to with a positive, practical plan.
Speaker 3: The residents of Boyle Heights feel completely ignored and sometimes lied to by people like La Mayor Karen Bass, Supervisor Hilda Sliserve in our favorite La County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrara, where originally the message was that the smoke was not unsafe and you did not need to evacuate. Then when the rotting smell comes out, will give you one air purifier. If your lungs are fold with liquid, we'll give you taile and all. Now we find out there's some great reporting from NBC four that the mayor and the supervisors and Barbara Ferrara were all emailing back and forth with each other about these disease spreading flies that if they get into open wounds, can cause all kinds of illness and kill people. And it wasn't any of our local electeds that told the public about this. It was local news reporting. So I don't know if they were trying to sweep this under the rug. The residents are now calling for an evacuation. But here's my question. We know that the current governor has completely ignored this situation. When we have such failures at the local level, as we have seen for this disaster or the palisades and eaten fires before, what should the state be doing, and what should the governor be doing? And what would you be doing if you were the governor right now?
Speaker 2: So the role in this situation is to make sure that the local leaders, if you can call them that, certainly not in the case of LA doing their job. That I believe philosophically and practically as well in the decentralization of power. I think the lesson of history when you try and centralize power and the extreme versions of it, like the communist regimes in Soviet Union Eastern Europe, trying to run everything from the center. It's a disaster. You don't have the information. I always believe in local control. I don't like Sacramento bossing everyone around, telling everyone what to do. That's my starting point. But it's also the responsibility of the governor to make sure that people don't suffer. And if the local leadership is just not delivering, you've got to step in. And I'm both in a proactive way. For example, I've said on homelessness, I've got a very simple approach to that, which is a three point plan. You've got to enforce the law, remove people. You've got to get people off the streets. Number two, get them off drugs, and number three get them into mental health treatment. And if I'll give the local politicians a limited amount of time to get that done. To clean up homelessness, is this scandal that's gone on for twenty years with billions and billions of dollars of our money. But I've said very clearly, if they won't do it, then after a certain amount of time, I will step in and get it done because we cannot tolerate this, because enough is enough of the homelessness. And in the situation like this, which is an emergency, the governor has to say enough is enough much more quickly as you say it. Had nothing really to say about it at all, And it's just completely outrageous that in our second city of America this is going on. You've got medieval style diseases spreading. I mean, that's just totally unacceptable.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking with Steve Hilton, who is running for governor, his website is Goldentogether dot com. You touched on homelessness. We do have the new numbers out in Los Angeles and they're not good. The numbers are up. Could be because Karen Bess's buddy is no longer cooking the books at LASA after she had to resign in shame, what have you. But one of the things that Gavin Newsom has said over the last many years is that, hey, we've got our court decisions, clean up these dam encampments. And he'll usually say that clean up these damn encampments, and to which LA County and LA City has always scoffed at him and says, we're not going to do that. And then when Gavin Newsom gets asked, well, why aren't you doing anything about Los Angeles ignoring your executive orders on cleaning the dam encampments, He'll say, localism is determined. So if you have counties like LA that are ignoring doing the basics of clearing the public spaces, how do you, to use everyone's favorite word, hold local electeds accountable? As governor?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's the people who hold local electeds accountable are the voters. My job is to just make practical things happen as governors. So it's not about you know, holding, it's about saying, right, you haven't done it, I will. It's much much more direct, if you see what I mean. There's a concept in public policy known as earned autonomy, which is if you show that you can do something on your own, great, you go ahead and do it. But if you can't, if you can't deliver, then you lose that autonomy. And I think that's the situation we're in where you have these really serious scandals going on, where you've got failure after failure year after you see the same in the education system where you've got a school that's just complete failing year after year, then you take it. You know, you don't happen children's lives. They are at stake every year, every school year that students go to a school bus, just a complete disaster that's affecting their whole life. You can't just sort of wait around and hope that somebody comes to their senses in the local council or whatever it may be. That is just not okay.
Speaker 3: You know, when you talk about the schools in the state of California, we're in a situation in this state where you look at our budget and we're because of Prop ninety eight, we're required to spend a certain amount of the budget on education. So even when we have higher than expected revenues, even more money is going to the schools. Yet every teacher will tell you they can't afford to do the job. Every district says they're broke, and the performance is just inadequate compared to what we're paying compared to other states. How does a Governor Hilton fix California school system?
Speaker 2: So we've got to change the well. First of all, you run the state boarder. You appoint the state Board of Education, which has a very big role in the curriculum min what happens in school, and so you can have a large amount of control there. Secondly, we just have to get some of these basic points right. If you look at there's a very instructive comparison with Mississippi. So we have now in California, less than half the students in our public schools meet basic standards in English with reading and math. Reading in English with math it's down to like thirty, it's about a third. It's completely catastrophic, and it's been going on for years. And you look at Mississippi. They made some reforms about ten years ago. They were at the bottom of the league tables for education. Now they're near the top. We're at the bottom. They spend one third as much as we do. There's some basic things they do. For example, they say, look, if you can't read by third grade, then you're not going up to fourth grade. The reason for that is that up to that time, basically kids are learning to read. But after that you're, as they say, reading to learn. And if you can't read, you can't learn, can't learn anything, and that's had a transformative effect, just making sure that you don't enter fourth grade until you're fully competent and meet grade level at reading. So these are the simple kinds of changes that we need to make here in California.
Speaker 3: We're speaking with Steve Hilton, who is running for governor of California. You can go to his website. There is a lot of policy information on there. Goldentogether dot com. That's goldentogether dot com. One of the fights that our current governor has been going through the last couple of weeks is this battle between him and the state worker is represented by the SEIU up and down the state, a lot in Sacramento, but also in places like San Diego, what have you where? When COVID happened and Gavin Newsom and Barbara Ferrera locked everybody down, a lot of these jobs went remote. Some of the people that have been hired there have been remote full time since they started. Maybe they go in two or three days a week. Gavivan Newsom says, nope. I first, everyone goes in no matter what, four days a week, and you should be grateful for that. And meanwhile, there's not enough office space for some of these people. There's not enough parking places in Sacramento for some of these people, and some of the employees are complaining about added costs to parking, childcare, what have you. What is your take on what's going on between Newsom and the SEIU when it comes to in person work for state workers.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the first point I would make is that we've got too many. The budget has not nearly doubled in the last ten years. The number of state employees has gone up astronomically under gavenuwsome it's and we've got to cut back. I mean, we've got to cut taxes to help working people. My plan is your first one hundred and fifty grand tax free above that eight percent flat tax, so that we are pro growth and attract business. It's essential. We're in an economic emergency in California. We've got the high poverty rate in the country, the highest unemployment rate, with fiftieth out of fifty for business climate, and I think that if Piserah wins in November, then the exodus of business that we've seen in the last few years is going to turn into a stampede. So we have to cut back this bloated budget, and that includes the numbers. That's what I'm more focused on is not where they work, but how many of them there are, and what they're doing and what we're getting. In response to that, I would like to hear the views of all the people concerned before making a final decision. I haven't done that yet. I haven't sat down with all the different sides of this, but I'm really you know, the central point is that with the budget's too big, the workforce is too large, and the results are not good enough. And that's what I'm going to be focused on.
Speaker 3: Well, and that is something that you have pointed out that has gotten a lot of people's attention that seven years ago the budget of the state of California was around two hundred billion. Here we are at three hundred and fifty billion, and every department says they're broke. I don't understand how it happened.
Speaker 2: I know, well, it's because of all these it's the corruption of the system and Passerah. Of course, my opponent is that is the creature of this machine that's that's has run California. The unions are a big part of that. The government unions and they get what they want, but working people and small businesses lose out. So if you look, I mean just going back to your earlier conversation about the earlier conversation about schools. Another thing I hear all the time in our town halls up and down the state where we've gone hundreds of events now thousands and thousands of people coming out. A really common theme question is what's going on. We paid the highest taxes in the country. We have massive local taxes, property taxes, pass so that was the different taxes locally, sales tax of course, and yet with the schools, they keep coming and asking us to pay for supplies, for basic supplies like books and pennies and paper. You know what's going on that we are being asked to chip in for that when we're paying all these taxes. And then a lot of people also bring up the lottery. We thought the lottery was supposed to be going to this, So what is going on? Where is our money going? We're the richest state in the richest country on earth, and yet everything is falling apart and people just feel ripped off. Now, one answer to that is if you look at the actual budgets in school districts nineteen about and I think it's either nineteen and a half or nineteen a quarter. Percent of the money that comes in to the school districts goes straight out to pay for teacher pensions, like nearly one fifth of the money. So that needs to be reformed, for example. And that's what's really going on. You've had no one in charge in California who's taken any kind of interest in this Newsom's been totally checked out for years. He's only interested in his next job, running for president, and so all these problems have been allowed to fester. We've got a complete fiscal crisis, the worst business climate, as I mentioned, and it's a serious moment. We've got to wake up. If we don't change direction, then I really fear where things are going. And I know people look at this race and say, wow, how are you going to win? It's so Democrat and whatever. There was a poll out the other week sixty one for me, thirty six for I'm sorry the other way around, sixty one for Psserra, thirty six for me, and say, people say, well, how are you going to win? Well, we can win because actually there's also sixty odd percent who think we need change in California's that's a good number. That's the majority for change that we need to appeal to. When we look at our poll, it shows that thirty three percent are solidly for me, forty one percent as solidly for Bessera, twenty six percent are undecided, mostly working class people. That's another reason we're in Paul Heights. That's the group that's going to decide the selection. And then you look at Pisserra, I mean, well, you couldn't think of a worse candidate. I mean he's absolutely more of the same when a majority of Californians want change. He's totally incompetent in the eyes of his colleagues in the Biden administration, I mean Susan Rice called him an idiot and a bitch ass. And then you've got his absolutely appalling record as HHS Secretary, which we're highlighting this week. For example, there's the massive scandal of the Passera migrant child abuse camps, which is barely being uncovered, and we left today we'd a press conference at one of the camps in Pomona with a whistleblower who worked there describing how all the vetting was removed for the sponsors and the places that these thousands and thousands of migrant children. Let's just remember the scale of it. When during the Biden border crisis, four hundred and seventy nine thousand migrant children unaccompanied came into the country. All of them were the responsibility of Passera. He had them in these camps. He didn't like the pictures of kids in camps, so he said, get them out of here as quickly as possible. He talked about turning into an assembly line, that's a quote. And as a result, they just stopped vetting these people. So children were sent into the hands of child sex traffickers, to child labor exploitative employers. Stories of you know, fourteen year old girls being raped by their sponsors, thirteen year old boys on an assembly line, their arms ripped off, which is completely horrific, horrific, And the total number of kids that were lost by Bissera, people had completely lost touch with them. It's not eighty five thousand, as some people have been reporting, based on a very early New York Times report, three hundred and nineteen thousand, three hundred and nineteen thousand kids missing today. That number the Trumpe administration to trying to track them down. Today that number is one hundred and forty thousand still today Passerah's lost kids. One hundred thousand of those are under thirteen somewhere in the country, mostly in California. This is an absolutely massive scandal. Pisserah turned the HHS into the biggest child trafficking operation in history. And that's another reason that we're feeling confident about our chances. Once we get out there and make these arguments, I think that actually we can turn this around because we can't let things go on like this in California.
Speaker 3: You don't get to choose your opponents. But I feel like you've got the best possible situation in Besarah, last question before you go, because this has been on my mind all day. You're stuck in traffic right now. I was stuck in traffic for an hour and a half. There's a story coming out of San Diego where people who can't afford to live in San Diego that have moved to riverside commute. They're commuting has gotten so much worse over the last few years because so many people have done just that. Where it used to take an hour to go down the fifteen from Riverside to San Diego. Now it takes two hours each way, and Caltran says, we've got to fix for that. We're going to put an hov express lane for carpooling and it will open in twenty fifty. Is there a better way?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, that's insane, that's insane. I haven't heard that. These people aren't choke. I mean it's like it's like the high I mean, it's like his high speed rail, but worse. I mean, it's like Besarah saying he's going to finish high speed rail on time and on budget. He said that the other week in Fresno on time was six years ago. These people aren't serious. I think that we have to, you know, we as another example, we have the highest gas tax in the country, the highest vehicle registration, absolutely gouging people, ripping people off. In most states, vehicle registration is under one hundred dollars a year. Here in California five six, seven, eight hundred, over one thousand for some people, over two thousand to some. I've got a commitment to cap vehicle registration at seventy one dollars per vehicle. Play. Yeah, that's the basic registration fee before they add on all these extra taxes. But at the same time they say, oh, well, how are you going to pay for the roads?
Speaker 4: We have?
Speaker 2: The worst roads in the country were rated fifty. That there's two measures of roads. On one of them, we're forty ninth Alaska is fifty. On the other we're fiftieth, and yet we pay the most. It's just unbelievable. We got to take that money. And hey, why I met a lady who runs a construction company, does public works and infrastructure. She told all over the country. She told me it costs four times as much to build the exact same piece of road, the equivalent piece of roads in California as it does in Texas, where they also operate, because of all these ridiculous regulations and their unions, you know, Project Labor Agreement, Community Workforce Agreement, endless environmental nonsense that doesn't even help the environment, just makes it all more expensive and time consuming. We got plenty of money, we just need to spend it properly, and of course we need modernized roads.
Speaker 3: Steve Hilton running for governor of California. The website is Goldentogether dot com.
Speaker 2: Steve.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining us today and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 2: Great to be with you, Andy, Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KBC. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything that you need to know that's going on in Southern California, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, and the Central Valley. I put a list together every single day of all my show prep and you can check it out at Randy Wang Radio dot substack dot com. And we got tons of video content for you. The live streaming John Phillips Show. You can watch this show on video. You can watch the Accountability Podcast all at Johnny Dontlike dot com. That's Johnny Dontlike dot com, or if you prefer, Randywangradio dot com sends you to the same place. Our next guest is the president of an organization called Vision Burbank, fighting three letters that scare every person living in Burbank. Right now, b RT, let's find out what this is all about. David Donahue, Welcome to the News Splitz.
Speaker 4: Happy to be here. Thank you, Randy.
Speaker 3: David tell us about your organization and what is the big fight going on specifically on all of.
Speaker 4: Well, I tell you, Vision Burbank was started about five years ago after we heard about Metro what they were going to do to take away two lanes of traffic on either direction of Olive Avenue basically between all Amida and front End Glen Oaks. So a bunch of concerned residents business owners got together foreigned Vision Burbank and began fighting against it. And so what we advocated for and won through the vote of City Hall was that meant that the city would allow for mixed flow, meaning that the bus could travel, the dr tam could travel on Olive Avenue and it would share it with the rest of the cars and the rest of the commuters. Well, Metro didn't want that, and they have said, well we want a dedicated lane, and we're like it's going to really have a really negative impact to the businesses and to the residents because there's this thing you know, when you have a big change to a major arterial through a city and you reduced the lane, what you happen you have cut through traffic. The City of Burbank, their staff has actually studied the number of amount of cut through traffic that would happen just with the increased density with normal housing. But they and they estimated that it would be really significant. So what we decide again, we thought we had won this battle that is going to be dedicated lane until Metro could show that they had seventeen thousand riders per day. Well, Metro, in my opinion, has been horribly disingenuous. They've said, yeah, yeah, yeah, we're we hear you, Burbank, We hear you, Vision Burbank, we hear all you people saying you want dedicated lanes. We hear you, we hear you. And we just were like, okay, we think we again, we think we've won this. Well, fast forward several years until now that they're trying to pull permits. They have said that the memorandum of understanding that the city since to Metro failed to include the language to have a dedicated lane. It was a separate letter. So we found out that it's like no, no, no, We've been doing this for almost five years communicating to Metro, now, we do not want you to take away a lane of traffic on Olive Avenue to save hold on ninety seconds. That's all that it would say, Brandy, is if you the bus gets off the one thirty four gets on Olive and having its own dedicated lane and metered lights would only save ninety seconds and what it would do to the community is just catastrophic. So Metro is now suing us. So when I say, yes, the City of Burbank not mesuing the City of Burbank to get the job permits, the building permits so that they can start construction of the dedicated lanes through Burbank. And thankfully, and I really have to give a huge shout out to Vice Mayor Zozette Mullens and council Member Christopher Rizzotti. They've stood up up. They stood up against Metro and said no, we said mixed flow, not dedicated lane, and they were advocating and they supported the city to sue Metro. Well before that happened, Randy, Metro sued the city at Burbank and took them to court. First coordinating was October, excuse me was July seventeenth, and the judge basically said no to Metro, you cannot have your order to demand the city give permits. And so now we have a next court date is August nineteenth, where the judge will hear, you know, just the arguments, the continued arguments from the city of Burbank.
Speaker 3: That is quite a fight. And it's one of those things where it seems like, you know, it's one of these things that we hear about for years and years and years. Not really, this fight is going on over and over and over again. What's wild is how far or they fight for the dedicated bus only lane. You know, there are certain places that have these, and like I drive around Culver City a lot, and in Culver City there is a lot of traffic and there's a lot of empty lanes that nobody's allowed to use because the buses don't come that often. But you know, I was just in a major metropolitan city. I just spent a week in Toronto, Canada, and Toronto has those cable cars all throughout the downtown area. But even though they're cable cars, they do not have a dedicated lane for themselves. They share the road with the cars. The cars get out of the way and have to stop, of course when the cable car is loading and unloading. And for the most part, Toronto gets around a little better than the insanity that we have in Los Angeles, and I understand that, you know, we want Metro to be more connected. People will never ride it if it doesn't go everywhere, and right now it barely goes anywhere. But this seems to be a bigger net loss than a net positive for especially the people of the city of Burbank.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Randy. And the other part of this is Senate Bill seventy nine, and that's one of the big elephants in the room. Sen Bill seventy nine. It will allow up to five six story apartment buildings within a half mile of a TOD bus stop. And if you look at the map that we have on vision Burbank dot org, it shows this huge slot that goes along the middle of Burbank where a developer could buy a single family residential property, normal house and build up to five or six stories with no required parking. And that's something that I believe was really not well thought out by now Congressman war Friedman. And now we do have it as the law, and it says if a developer wants to build, they can do it by right within a half mile of a TOD bus stop up to five six seven stories with no required parking. Here's the part that has really frightened a lot of people that are paying close attention to this. It is the amount of the infrastructure with the water, sewer and gas and electricity that would be required. City Attorney Joan McDougal for the Burbank has no idea what is going to cost, but he does know and the city manager justin Hess, they do know that with the current housing element that they have to be to be compliant with HCD, because we have a very we have a compliant accepted housing element with the HCD. It's going to cost the City of Burbank between one hundred and fifteen million to seven hundred million dollars just for the plan build out to meet our regional housing needs assessment for this cycle. What SB seventy nine does is it takes that and just throws it out the window because it could potentially be another one billion dollars on top of what could be seven hundred million dollars. So the City of Burbank, its residents, and its business owners would be on the hook for what I am calling an unfunded state mandate through SB seventy nine. And here's the other kicker that is we just Burbank is just the target of Sacramento. Scott Wiener and a lot of these people, like the Senator of Maria, Elena Drazzo, who wrote this bill, s B thirteen sixty one. That's be thirteen sixty one would prohibit a jurisdiction from not issuing permits to the city of Burbank. It would make it illegal for a city like Burbank to fight back to ask for local control other compliant housing elements. And to me, that is just pretty scary when you look at the power that some of those people in Sacramento have a city like Burbank.
Speaker 3: We'll speaking with David Donahue. The website is Vision Burbank dot org. If people that are in Burbank want to get involved, they want to help out, what what can they do? What do you need from the public here?
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for that question and I appreciate it. The Division Burbank dot org. On our website, you can sign up for our newsletter and we give regular updates of what's happening in city, in city Hall and in Sacramento, and are also working and collaborating with our neighborhood voices. What we want to be able to do is build a broad coalition to be able to fight back. People can donate. We're a five oh one C four nonprofit and they can. The fundraising helps us get the word out and it else also helps us organized, because we really do need to sort of join arms and be able to fight back for local control.
Speaker 3: We're speaking with David Donahue, whose website is Vision Burbank dot com. I just have to ask this based on you know, there are maybe people that are listening to what you're hearing today, and I'm sure there are people that are very sympathetic, but there may be other people that are listening in here. Okay. Burbank residents are opposing a metro line that could connect Burbank and Pasadena and the valley. They're opposing SB seventy nine, which could create more housing. The medium price of a home in the city of Burbank is one point two million. I can't even afford to live in the city of Burbank. What would you say to people that hear everything that you're opposing and call it nimbiism?
Speaker 4: Absolutely good question. Vision Burbank has said in council chambers and publicly that we are not against transportation. We want to dedicate the dedicated lane after seventeen thousand, would we would support that. We do not want a dedicated lane if the writership is not up to it. So having mixed flow until they reach those numbers is with a fair compromise. The housing element, again, the City of Burbank has already been told by the state that they have to have additional eighty eight hundred homes built in the next cycle. The city has a compliant housing element. We're already building hundreds and hundreds of new housing units, so they are coming online. The problem with unmitigated, unplanned, unfunded construction, which is what SB seventy nine does, is it puts a lot of pressure on the infrastructure and then if that then demands a lot more money from the residents and the business owners. So it's just having some local control and having a conversation. Yes, we want to build more housing. The City of Burbank is doing it, but let's have it planned. Let's have a little bit more of a conversation about it.
Speaker 3: The website is vision Burbank dot org. That is Vision Burbank dot org. David Donahue with Vision Burbank, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 4: My pleasure, Randy, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. Hey, let's get this out of the way. I've got a nice surprise for you. Seven ninety KABC welcomes Gypsy Kings featuring Nicholas Reyes at the Greek Theater on August seven, twenty twenty six. Tickets are on sale now at ticketmaster dot com, but right now calling number nine at one eight at eight seven ninety five two two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. Tickets furnished by Nita Lander Concerts. Good luck dialing programming. Note, as I wrap up our five of broadcasting today, I'm not done. So I woke up this morning, went to my pilates class, which I always love. Then I taped the Accountability Podcast with John Phillips. The new episode airs at midnight. To upload it right after this show. But you'll be able to watch it. We've made it a lot easier now. It's just at Johnny don't like dot com that takes you to the one YouTube channel. It's the same YouTube channel for the John Phillips Show Live on demand John Phillips Show content, The news Blitz videos are short form content, and of course the Accountability podcast, So just go to Johnny Don't Like dot Com. Our newest episode, Johnny and I talk about the prospect of Kamala Harris running for president in twenty twenty eight because apparently some of her staffers told Andrew Yang that she was thinking about it. I then did Noon to three Live with John Phillips, fantastic show. I have so many good clips to upload to the channel tonight, including John's interview with Jennifer Van Lahar, John's interview with Seneca Scott, Johnny and I breaking down the new allegations against Shang Tao. Then I just did this show where we had two great interviews, and then I take a little break, I upload podcasts, I have a little dinner, maybe do a FaceTime with my wife because she's still in Toronto, and then I at eight o'clock will be joining our buddy Phil Moriello with the California Underground podcast once again. It streams at eight o'clock. You can watch it on Instagram or YouTube at California Underground. We'll be covering all kinds of subjects, including probably the Shantau thing. Gavin Newsom's diaper Gate and so many other issues. So I had a lot of fun last time, and I was I actually got asked back to do it last week, but I was in Toronto. And by the way, if you notice that, if it sounds like I'm saying that weird, that's how the locals say it. They don't say Toronto, they say Toronto. That's how it's done. I feel like I'm a local now. I've had so much Ontario beer that I should know that he asked me to do it last week. But I'm three hours later when I'm in Toronto, and so that means an eight pm live stream would be eleven pm. And that means that even though I get off of work at six pm, when I'm in Toronto, I don't get to have a drinkie at beer town. And well, I said, hey, let me know if you're available next week. So here we are. I'll be on the California Underground podcast tonight at eight o'clock. YouTube dot com slash at California Underground. Before we leave, I cannot get this story out of my head. So I was in an hour and a half traffic coming home because I guess there was a big rig that turned over in block four lanes. And it takes one bad accident to ruin the commutes for hundreds of thousands of people, well residents of Riverside who commute to San Diego for work. They're pulling their hair out every single day on that fifteen because ever since COVID, so many people moved to San Diego excuse me, to Riverside because they cannot afford to live in San Diego County, or they want a much bigger place, maybe they want a nicer place to raise their kids, a safer place, what have you. The commuting has gotten so awful, and some people have signed a petition saying, you know what we need to do. We need an express lane on the fifteen in between Riverside and San Diego, and Caltrend says, that's a great idea, an express lane where if you're in an hov you can bypass all that traffic. We'll get right on that. Estimated project completion time twenty fifty. They're in the planning phase to add an express lane to a freeway twenty five years from now. I don't think the people who are sitting in the commute have twenty five years, and that is why I think we have to completely rethink what we're doing here. You know, think about how much money we spent widening the four five freeway and that didn't do a damn thing. We never talk about building new freeways, which is a strange thing because if you talk about the fifteen in between Riverside and San Diego, there's a lot of desert out there. You could have another freeway, but all right, we're not going to do that. Well, why don't you do the simplest thing. If it's too expensive to build things, incentivize teleworking, because then no one's on the freeway just saying am I saying that selfishly? Yes, yes I am. Thank you all so much for being a part of the show. It's a pleasure to bring it to you every day. We got lots of on demand content for you. So now that we're off the air, check it out. YouTube has it all. Just go to Johnny don't like dot com. That's Johnny don't like dot com. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC