Speaker 1: Now, back to Dirty Work. Adam Copeland and Derek Papa on KNBR 104.5 and 680 AM. The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work on a Wednesday afternoon, Wednesday evening. Adam Copeland, D-Pop with you. We're joined on the UMA guest line now by Andy Bagley. He covers the Giants for The Athletic. The Giants fell today 10-9, leading by six runs in the ninth inning. Bags is sponsored by the Dolan Law Firm. They live here, they work here, they win here. DolanLawFirm.com. Andy, what's going on, man?
Speaker 3: How are you? A little stunned. Processing.
Speaker 4: Still trying to write my story, which bears no resemblance to the story that I had mostly written a little while earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow. I mean, they're not boring. They're not a boring team.
Speaker 4: We can say that much about them, but they were pretty roundly booed at the end of this one. And when you have the worst ninth inning blown lead in franchise history in a loss, you understand why.
Speaker 3: I mean, wow. Yeah, just stunning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's what I was saying to Derek. I was like, I mean, I was here for this game, and Derek said he wasn't all that surprised just because of what the bullpen's done. I said, even for how the bullpen's been and the guys that were out there, this was a stunning loss. I mean, nobody's ever seen this before, coming to Oracle Park, going to Candlestick, going to Seal Stadium, going to the polo grounds. It had never happened. We'd never seen a team blow a lead like this. Now, I haven't heard Tony Vitello's audio after the game, but he was ejected early in the game and watched this one from afar, but he seemed visibly frustrated just in the little video clip that I saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think he was, you know, he watched it in the clubhouse, argued a check swing call five batters into the game. You know, he's trying to defend his pitcher. Logan Webb's coming off a tough start.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He's, he's feeling like he's got to do more to defend his guys. And, and I mean, it wasn't a swing.
Speaker 4: Even Logan Webb said it, it wasn't a swing, but you know, he's trying to defend his guys and really doesn't say a whole lot.
Speaker 3: And then got ejected.
Speaker 4: And we've seen some umpires have had a pretty quick hook with them and, Maybe there's a little more baked into that. I think with some umpires, pretty clearly they've shown maybe a little contempt for him.
Speaker 3: And that's part of the deal.
Speaker 4: You know, as someone who's coming with his background of never being in pro ball before.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make it fair. It doesn't make it right.
Speaker 4: But, yeah, you know, he obviously wasn't really around to manage the rest of this game. But, you know, Rafael Devers, it looks like he could hit 40 homers this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's locked in, hits a splash homer. Shea Whitcomb puts a charge into one, Jonah Cox. I mean, there were a lot of.
Speaker 4: Good things happening in this game, but it's just kind of stunning that this is the ninth time that they've lost a game that they led in the ninth inning this year. And even if they flip every one of those, this is not a playoff team, right? But it's just, no matter how conditioned you are to disappointment at this stage, you lose a game like this, it stuns you. It's absolutely a shot to the solar plexus, and that's kind of where they are right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, historic loss today, Bags, and wouldn't say it's rock bottom by any means when they wave the white flag much earlier this season. That said, Tony wants to win. These guys want to win. They want to get their first sweep of the season. So just what was the vibe in the clubhouse after this demoralizing loss?
Speaker 3: I mean, just quiet. You know, we talked to Logan Webb.
Speaker 4: I talked to Dylan Smith, who's an absolute pro.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously, this starts getting away.
Speaker 4: From them when Spencer Bivens not not the home run he allowed to start at the beginning but the two walks and then of course you mix in a bunch that's not uh converted into an out and um leads to an extra base and you know you had some sloppy play in there too we've seen that all year and you know it just seems like more of the same and you know anytime this team hasn't shown a little glimmer of putting together any kind of momentum uh you know they kind of just trip over their own feet and this was probably the ultimate example of that. Like you said, they're three outs away holding a six run lead from their first three game sweep of the season. And they're the only team that hasn't done it. And if they don't do it this year, they'll be the first.
Speaker 3: Giants team who hasn't done it since 1915, I think is the stat I saw.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they really desperately want to sweep a series and just feel good about themselves for five.
Speaker 3: Minutes, you know, and they're not even able to do that.
Speaker 2: Talking to Andy Bagley covers the giants for the athletic. He joins us on the UMA guest line. I was looking today or just thinking today about, you know, we've talked a lot about roster and where their focus will go this offseason and where they need to improve. But I wonder about, I mean, Tony Vitello came in. They did have one coaching change in season with Hector Borg being replaced at third base by Gary Pettis. I wonder just about, and I'm not looking to talk about calling for somebody's job, but I wonder where the Giants will evaluate what they could be better at with a coaching change or whether coaching could improve any one element. I just look at the pitching staff in general and I go, forget the saves, forget the bullpen. They don't throw a lot of strikes bags. And there's a lot of first year guys here.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, clearly there's a lot of very, very fundamental concepts that, you know, they've gone backwards on and, you know, the, the hitters need to draw more walks, work more counts, be more selective. The pitchers need to create more count leverage, not walk as many batters. I mean, You know, there were a lot of things that I think went into the previous regime, like the Farhan Zaidi regime. I mean, he was a big believer in strike-up-to-walk ratio, you know, home run rate, keep the ball in the ballpark and don't walk, guys. And that'll take you most of the way, really. And you still need to have some bat-missers in there. But that's kind of what this team has gotten away from. You know, the rosters that are kind of high-floor rosters where you don't have the superstar players– you know, you can still compete and contend. I mean, last year's team is disappointing as the season was, they were 500 team, you know, and they were maybe two or three games out of being in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: And, and so they've really gone backwards in a lot of those ways. And that's going to be what they're going to.
Speaker 3: Have to re-examine.
Speaker 4: I would argue it starts from a roster building.
Speaker 3: Standpoint and the choices that they made. And then, and then from there, it's okay.
Speaker 4: How do we squeeze a little more juice out of the, out of the orange and, and that's where you really have to take a look at the coaching staff.
Speaker 5: Talking to Andy Baggerly on the UMA guest line. Andy, your reaction to the unfortunate news for Carson Wisenhunt suffering a torn UCL and having to have Tommy John along with Trevor McDonald?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it feels like the Giants kind of escaped the beast on this one for a long time. They had a long stretch where they really didn't lose any top prospects or really good players. to Tommy John surgery, some of their pitching prospects really from Jesse Foppert. I think all the way you could trace.
Speaker 3: Another 15 years.
Speaker 4: I know that's something Dave Rigetti was very proud of. You know, they were able to get these guys to the big leagues and get them, you know, to have contracts, even though no Lowry was able to get, you know, a multi-year contract to his RB years.
Speaker 3: But, you know, it's, it's tough.
Speaker 4: The way you ask so much of your pitchers is throw so hard these days.
Speaker 3: And, you know, the guys who are getting hurt aren't exactly guys.
Speaker 4: Who were, you know, throw in 99 on our gas. Um, but we did see Hayden Birdsong go down in spring training. Uh, and, and now you're seeing wiz and hunt.
Speaker 3: And Trevor McDonald.
Speaker 4: I don't think this is anything that you put on like the coaches or you put on the training staff.
Speaker 3: I think this is.
Speaker 4: Just modern baseball and the giants were, were fortunate enough to avoid a good stretch of it where it was really affecting the rest of the league. And, and now, you know, maybe this is just a sort of regressing to the mean a little bit. And, and, All that aside, on a very personal level, you feel terrible for a Carson Wittenhut. Again, it's just like what we're talking about. Once you start to show a glimmer of something positive where you can really feel good about yourself. He was putting together a nice start the other day and then, boom, feels it on a pitch and tries to throw another and then that's it. You feel for him it's going to be a long road back. McDonald had his procedure just earlier this month, so Yeah, it's got to be tough, man. I mean, these guys do this because they love to compete for the most part, and you've got to take it away from you for more than a year.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's going to be a long road back for them.
Speaker 2: Talking to Bags, a few more minutes here on the ULA guest line. I don't think it was an overstatement when the Giants acquired Rafael Devers that a lot of us thought and said, this is the best talent-wise power hitter they've had or acquired since they had Barry Bonds. And now he's doing things at Oracle Park that only Bonds had ever done, right? I mean, he's hit his 17th home run of the season. today in this ballpark and a towering, pretty impressive splash hit. I really don't think this ballpark is affecting him all that much. I think he's a slow starter, but it does seem like he's kind of coming back to the mean.
Speaker 3: Here, Pax. You know what?
Speaker 4: I would love to have a conversation with him because he doesn't talk to us very often, obviously. I think we were hoping we could talk to him after today's game, but then the story obviously changed. But I would love to ask him– did that series in Fenway almost kind of give you closure a little bit? You know, you have that experience, whether they booed you, appreciated you, cheered you, whatever. It almost helps you tie a bow on it. And then you come back home and it feels like home, you know, as opposed to I'm a mercenary and this is where I've been traded to.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if he would, he seems kind of dismissive of questions like that. So I don't think he'd even get an answer, but yeah, I do wonder it's probably human nature. You know, you have an experience like that where you go to Boston and maybe it just does allow you to kind of close the loop a little bit. And, and clearly he looks comfortable now here. I think he does have the opportunity to be a fan favorite here.
Speaker 3: I would love it.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously as someone who likes to introduce players to, to fans and sort of make that connection and, You know, I would love it if he shared a little more of himself with us, which he hasn't yet, but that's his prerogative. So if you do great things on the field, you're going to get cheered.
Speaker 3: And, you know, whether you're Raphael. Devers or Barry Bonds or whoever. So, you know, yeah, he's having.
Speaker 4: What's going to turn into a good year. It could even be a 40-homer year, really. And you look at the whole lineup is completely disintegrated.
Speaker 3: Around him.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jung-Hoo Lee scratched before the first pitch and it's Raphael Devers is the only guy left holding this whole thing up. And by the way, he's played in every.
Speaker 3: Game this year.
Speaker 4: And Tony Vitello says he's going to give him a day or two off down the stretch.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: That's what Tony says.
Speaker 3: I don't believe him.
Speaker 4: I don't think Raphael Devers is going to miss a game this year. You know, I think he's probably going to play in both ends of Saturday's doubleheader because I think that's what he loves to do. He's got the third longest consecutive game streak in the major leagues he played 163 games last year and you know it's he's obviously not a part of the.
Speaker 3: Problem i think we can very very clearly.
Speaker 5: Say that staying on devers well red hot series and doing it with an inexperienced lineup and of course devers has received a ton of criticism since becoming a giant but john shea on our airwaves earlier today said that he's been more of a mentor of late have you seen that as well andy.
Speaker 4: Um, you know, hard to see, we're not in the clubhouse. Um, we see when guys come out and do their work. Uh, that's what I think we've been told. That's what Tony Vitello said that, uh, Devers has been someone who will speak up in hitters meetings. Um, you know, so yeah, I think you just go based on that. And, uh, um, that's, that's what the manager says. So, um, you know, he's someone who's been around the block. He's been a part of a world series team. He's, you know, been the super young guy. He was in the big leagues, barely what, 1920 years old. So, um, this guy's seen a lot in his career before his 30th birthday.
Speaker 3: And, you know, anything he.
Speaker 4: Can do to kind of share any of that wisdom with his teammates.
Speaker 3: Is something that I'm sure everyone's going to be listening to.
Speaker 2: Last one for me, Bags, before we let you go, the flop today from Landon Rupp, who was supposed to be the starter to Logan Webb. I know there was talk before the game, maybe that was just to go for the sweep. Do we know that that was the reason or is there anything else behind this?
Speaker 4: No, you know, it really came from Logan and his thought process was a couple of things. One, You know, he only threw two whatever innings in Boston because it was a bad start. So he didn't throw that many pitches. And so he didn't need the extra day, really. But he knew that Landon Roop could use the extra day because Roop is way past however many innings he's thrown in a professional season. So I think he's both thinking, hey, I don't need to cool my heels for another day because I kind of had a short start. And, you know, I got this young teammate who probably could use the extra day just to rest and recover. So that kind of came from Logan himself. Everybody was on board.
Speaker 3: With it, so that's why they did it. Well, good stuff.
Speaker 2: Good leadership from Logan Webb there, too. And deserved better in terms of a victory today. I'm sure he's thinking to himself, how am I going to get a loss in that? Or not going to win in that one. Andrew Baggerly covers the Giants for The Athletic. He joins us every week here. Bags, appreciate the time. Good luck finishing the story, man. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Andy. Yeah, thanks, guys. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks, man. All right, good stuff there. Adam Copeland, Derek Papa with you until 6 o'clock tonight.
Speaker 3: Dude, I'm not going to be with you tomorrow, man.
Speaker 5: We'll be okay.
Speaker 3: Oh, dude.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Did you catch that, dude?
Speaker 3: Jesus.
Speaker 2: Dude, holy crap.
Speaker 5: I'm looking forward to a little Rick action.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do?
Speaker 3: We'll be okay.
Speaker 5: You're doing bigger and better things, doing 49ers pregame with John Dickinson, and I'll do my little show with Rick Tittle tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Don't walk it back.
Speaker 3: Now, dude.
Speaker 5: Sorry, you caught me off guard there.
Speaker 3: I didn't know we were going there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet you did.
Speaker 1: I'll miss you, too.
Speaker 2: I didn't say all that much. I was like, oh, man, am I going to be there tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: You know why I got into this business, dude, to talk on KSFO.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: We'll take a quick break. When we come on back, we'll put the show to bed. It's Dirty Work. It's a Wednesday. It's only here on the Sports Leader.