Speaker 1: Listen to The Sports Leader anytime, anywhere. Download KNBR, The Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continue live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios. Casino Matrix, Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in. 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 2: All righty, let's talk about those 49ers with one of our favorites, Matt Barrows of The Athletic.
Speaker 3: Matt, things got... Pretty weird yesterday. Good morning. What's up, Matt?
Speaker 4: I'm good. You guys want to talk about the Deion Jones trade?
Speaker 5: Oh, I actually do, Matt.
Speaker 3: Marcus actually likes Deion Jones. I'm a Deion Jones fan, Matt. Former Pro Bowler.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Well, what is going to happen to the 49ers based on this Jed York news story?
Speaker 3: Nothing, everything, something in between. What's the fallout, Matt?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, as far as punishment from the league, I would think that he pled no contest and was found guilty of two misdemeanors. So it's there. It's been adjudicated. It's not like the Robert Kraft situation where it was sort of in a legal limbo and the charges were ultimately dropped. This one has been resolved. So... I can't imagine that he avoids any sort of punishment, but I wonder what it's going to be. I mean, is it a fine and a suspension? I think that– I forget when it happened, but remember that Jim Irsay, the then Colts owner, was arrested for driving law under the influence of And I think he was fined $ 500, 000 and suspended for six games from all kind of games from the team facility, from owners meetings, stuff like that. I would imagine it's along those lines.
Speaker 5: Matt, the 49ers put out a statement yesterday essentially saying that they will not be providing any further comment at this time. So what do you think that timeline looks like? Is this something that John Lynch, Kyle Shanahan, and maybe even the players will have to address later on this week?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I thought that they've got to practice later today, and I thought that this would be a natural spot for Kyle Shanahan to speak. He spoke last Tuesday. That was at a joint practice in Los Angeles with the Chargers, but he's been speaking sort of ahead of the preseason game the last couple of weeks. He's not scheduled to speak because of the concussion, and he's not on an official schedule yet. So I think it will be interesting whether the 49ers put him out there today or whether they put Chris Furster out, and Chris Furster will not have anything to say about Jed York. But, yeah, I mean, there's sort of a question. It was just a very short statement yesterday. It came via text. That statement is not on their website. There's no letterhead, anything like that. So it sort of underscored that this was unprecedented, and the 49ers were sort of headless at that moment. So who sort of... takes the reins, who becomes the voice of the team, who speaks for the franchise when the owner is indisposed, shall we say. So I think it's all a good question. I'm eager to see how the team addresses it.
Speaker 2: When's the last time Matt Jed did some media with you guys, just a good old-fashioned bowl session where you guys could fill up the notebooks?
Speaker 4: That usually happens at the owner's meeting in the spring, I think early May, late April. So, yeah, he did it this year, and I can't remember what the topics were, but it was a good 20-minute session where he answers everything, and that's usually it, unless there's a specific thing, like something to do with the stadium or an event or something like that.
Speaker 2: So there's a couple of things of note here. Sad story about him getting divorced from Danielle, who we all knew. And, you know, it's sad that a family breaks up like that. And then somebody said he might be moving to Ohio full time for tax purposes. That's just a rumor I'd heard. And then the Parag Marathe departure. So I'm just kind of adding this all up. You throw in the arrest. Is the 49ers hierarchy top of the food chain as unstable as it's been in a while?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean, there are different faces. You know, the Prague Marate was his right hand man from the beginning. I mean, back when Murph was a 49ers beat reporter, right? That's when Prague Marate came in. I mean, we're talking ancient, ancient history here. And all of a sudden, he's not. And it's interesting because he's still dealing with 49ers Enterprises, which is the arm that deals with the soccer clubs in the UK and whatnot, but not with the 49ers. At the same time, Al Guido has risen up. He's been sort of the stadium guy since 2014. And that's been his... purview. And, you know, I wonder whether, you know, he will gain some power, some clout because of the vacuum created by Prog Marante.
Speaker 5: Matt, between this Jed York incident and the Kyle Shanahan car accident, do you see this offseason maybe having too many distractions to the point where it could have an effect on the season?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, the bigger one as far as you know, the football team and practices and getting ready for the Rams as Kyle Shanahan. And that has returned to normal. I mean, as far as the players and the coaches are concerned, you know, it was a little bit disrupted at the beginning of training camp, but there's no change right now. So I don't think that it's going to affect the product on the field. I'm sure the players are wondering what the hell is going on with our owner. And I don't know how this incident plus the divorce proceedings will affect things. My, my podcast partner, Tim Calicami thinks that it could have a big impact down the line. I'm, I'm a little bit more dubious than, than he is, but I mean, it's, it's a bit of a double whammy. And then, you know, to Murph's point, You throw in Prague Marate leaving, and that was unrelated, obviously. But there are three sort of, you know, big, roiling things that are happening to the organization right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, the nightmare scenario is the McCourts, right? They own the Dodgers, and their divorce, like, turned the franchise upside down. It led to the sale of the franchise. So, I mean, that's like the nuclear scenario.
Speaker 4: Yes. You know, my thought, though, is I always thought, and maybe you've seen him at a 49ers event at a game. I don't know this for sure. I've never talked to Jed about it. But it seemed like the succession plan was to eventually turn the team over to his eldest son, Jackson, who, you know, he is a sports football mad little kid. throwing the ball with Tom Brady. You see him on the sideline, plays sports. He loves the NFL. It seemed natural. I just don't know what these divorce proceedings will bring. Sometimes divorces occur and then there's a reconciliation and this, that, and the other. I would think that that was the plan. I don't know if the divorce proceedings change any of.
Speaker 2: That yeah it's wild wild wild stuff and uh it uh we'll see i mean these are the power this is the cloak and dagger stuff here as we as we uh we'll see how it affects the 49ers going to la that leads with like such ordinary questions matt as has george.
Speaker 4: Kittle are you gonna ask about left guard.
Speaker 2: How does the jed how does the mobile park affect uh uh what's his name uh uh who's the kid there who's out there now carver willis.
Speaker 3: Carver willis uh-huh Jeez, man. Maybe a little Connor Colby. Connor Colby.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who do you want?
Speaker 3: Who's your pick?
Speaker 5: Robert Jones. Yeah, yeah, throw Robert Jones in there, too.
Speaker 3: Brett Toth.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Matt, George Kittle has yet to have a padded team practice, correct?
Speaker 3: Is that the eyes this week?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's, you know, it seems to be trending towards that. He was doing all the individual drill stuff, and I think that the takeaway is that, you Guys can hustle back and be back in the lineup. They don't look like themselves. George Kittle looks like George Kittle, just from the very brief stuff that we've seen. But his teammates have seen more, and they're very impressed by his comeback, his rehab. So I think he'll be ramped up slowly. He'll probably do a little bit more today. than he did on Sunday. Uh, he'll probably have a workout on, on Thursday, but not playing the game. And then they'll have some practices, um, Saturday and Sunday coming up. And, um, you know, really soon right after that, this team will Sunday night that the team, we knows it's, uh, rostered a 53, uh, And then on Wednesday, they hop on a plane to Melbourne, Australia. So things are happening quick. It's all going to be occurring rapidly. So there's only a brief window for him to get ready for this game. That's why I think it will be a ramp up. But the ramp up should be fairly steep.
Speaker 5: Matt, just to follow up on Kittle, obviously it's a huge box to check off him being activated off the PUP list, but are there actual like known boxes that he still needs to check off as he's trying to ramp up ahead of week one?
Speaker 4: I think it's just about getting into football shape and everyone you ever talk to says, you know, you can run as many wind sprints and, you know, hit all your mile per hour parameters and, right on the nose. But until you actually practice and play football, you're just not going to be ready for a game. So that's sort of part and parcel to this idea of building up the callus that the 49ers try to do at the beginning of training camp, which results in a lot of guys getting hurt, a lot of guys straining groins and hamstrings and calves. But it's about, for Kyle Shanahan, getting in football shape. And that's what is missing for George Kittle right now. And that's why I say I think his kind of ramp-up period will be fairly intense.
Speaker 3: How many starters on Thursday?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know the answer to that. I asked the two coordinators that question last week, thinking that, oh, because they have to get on the plane on Wednesday... a week from tomorrow, maybe they'll treat this third game differently and not have any starters out there. So I don't know what the answer is. I think there are some players, we joked about the left guard position, but I think that they'd love to see Carver Willis out there against the Raiders. I think if Romello Height is healthy, he would be out there against the Raiders. These are possible starters. Jaden Duggar, the rookie linebacker. They want to give the inexperienced potential starters all the work that they can get in the summer.
Speaker 5: Matt, real quick before we let you go, are you familiar with the romance novel Fourth Wing?
Speaker 4: I am not. This is going to be an interesting question, though, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, last night it was fourth wing night last night at Oracle Park, and I was there, and I was just confused, and I had no idea about the book. I just thought maybe because of you being a best-selling author, maybe you had a breakdown or maybe a recommendation on the fourth wing.
Speaker 4: Well, I have done a lot of sort of book signing things at Barnes & Nobles and different bookstores, and it is amazing. You're surrounded by... books that do sell unlike my book the books that do sell all have titles like fourth wing they're all sort of like fantasy fiction military fantasy things like that that's what that's what sells these days that of course in in romance romance novels which is you know murph's uh He loves the romance novels, the bodice rippers, as we call them.
Speaker 3: The bodice rippers. I hadn't heard that one.
Speaker 2: That's what apparently this book, Fourth Wing, has been described as dragon smut.
Speaker 3: Dragon smut.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, who among us doesn't like to read a little dragon smut every now and then?
Speaker 2: Well, according to Marcus, a fair number of people do because they were all at the Giants game last night getting a special giveaway.
Speaker 3: Oh, huge lines at the ballpark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I'm sure this is Game of Thrones echo, you know. Game of Thrones was so huge.
Speaker 3: Fifty Shades of Harry Potter.
Speaker 4: That's what it is. That's what sells these days. I mean, I tried to write a good old-fashioned murder mystery and It hasn't sold very well. I should have gone with dragon smut. And in fact, dragon smut is a terrific title. I mean, I just might take that.
Speaker 3: You know what you do? You deal with the darn book sales too.
Speaker 2: As I tell people, when the late great Neil Hayes and I wrote the last putt, people say, how did it sell?
Speaker 3: I say, it was well-reviewed. It was well-reviewed. Exactly.
Speaker 2: As was, I was going to say, Maddie, we got one sale in our house and waiting for the next.
Speaker 3: Candace is an avowed fan. I don't know. Maybe she wants a little more dragon and a little more smut. I don't know. I'll ask her.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, we can probably fit the smut into it. Dragon, gosh, that's just going to be tough. But I'll see what I can do.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: You've got a long flight to tinker with that manuscript.
Speaker 4: Don't think that I'm not going to be working on that during that flight. All right.
Speaker 5: You're the best, Matt.
Speaker 3: We'll read you in The Athletic. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks, Matt.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Anytime, guys. Talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Matt Barrows of The Athletic vowed off Muddy the Water is the book. It's a detective. My wife, who reads these whodunits all the time, says it's one of the best she's read.
Speaker 4: Whodunit!
Speaker 2: So it's like, do you do Jacob Violante, the vigilante, in for Walt, who's tending to the baby today?
Speaker 3: Do you read? Are you a reader, my friend? Do you read books?
Speaker 4: I am a reader.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: That makes you severely in the minority here. So have you read Muddy the Water?
Speaker 3: I have not. Well, are you interested in like a whodunit?
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: Okay. Muddy the water. Spoiler alert. It was a substation. We have his Christmas present all picked out.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Cooler of content. Bro, did you see the Padres' new owners? Oh, my.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They made a splash. Next on Esports Leader.