Speaker 1: Okay, postgame rap time after a win that I bet you a lot of people did not expect was coming. When when all the moves got announced today and we saw more of the veteran, established, every day Giants players go on the injured list and there's so many of them now. Bryce Eldridge goes on the bereavement list, and these guys get called up, some of whom Giants fans don't know anything about. And then you got Chase Burns on the other side for the Reds, who's been one of the very best pitchers.
Speaker 2: In the game.
Speaker 1: I bet you most people weren't thinking that this was going to be a five nothing Giants win.
Speaker 3: This is a first place team. If they had this line up from the beginning of the.
Speaker 4: Year, you know, I'll tell you what happened to that I thought was really impressive. The Giants defense was spectacular, and I think that they complimented the effort of the pitching staff in a way that the pitching staff tonight they were hitting their they were hitting their spots. Would you have a pitcher that's hitting their spots. A good defense can anticipate the location because they see were the catcher's setting up and when they know that you're throwing a certain side of the plate a certain speed, they're going to have a cheat step.
Speaker 2: It's a lean.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's not even a very big not even a step at all, but it's a lean. And I thought that the outfield tonight was spectacular. Their jumps were spot on. I thought that we saw a really nice game from Christian Coast at short stop, complimenting location. And it's such a valuable thing when you think back to the Giants teams when they were making their runs, they complimented their defense, complemented their pitching staff, and tonight's game was that way. And look at the result. I mean, one of their best defensive games of the year.
Speaker 2: I enjoy that.
Speaker 3: And you can do that without making any spectacular plays true, and that's what they did.
Speaker 1: And I think in a lot of ways, that's when a manager, a GM, a front office is a value any young guys coming up, I think that's often the kind of stuff they're looking for. It doesn't have to be this spectacular stuff, doesn't have to be a big home run or a heroic moment.
Speaker 2: Late in the game. It's like, can you play the game fundamentally?
Speaker 1: Can we be a guy that can you be a guy that we can trust in the late game situations with a game on the line, just to make the right decision to stay calm on the field.
Speaker 2: And I think those are big.
Speaker 1: Things that these guys have to prove when they get here.
Speaker 4: Well, these two guys in the outfield with Turner Hill and left and Gilbert and center and McCrae and right field, they were incredible.
Speaker 1: Turner Hill is a pretty good little ballplayer. I think he is. He does a lot of things well. I'm impressed by him so far.
Speaker 5: He hit a ground ball in the eighth and eighty second and I thought that's the first time he's put a ball in play that he didn't crush. I mean, he's just been in shots. He hit a ball off the bricks over the three sixty five side early on that knocked in the second run of the game, and we're kind of getting used to see him hit balls like that. So it's kind of cool because he got up here right away, looked like he was not overawed by being in the big leagues. He seemed to handle the adrenaline and all the things you look for from a guy getting here for the first time, and he got here on a high right. He was at the most confident level. He could be hitting three fifty two when he got here. He knows he can play here.
Speaker 4: He made a play on Stevenson's ball to left field, and earlier in the game when he comes over, he's playing left field, left handed player. He comes over to the ball, cuts it off and he does a three sixty to get in position to throw back the ball to second base. On that play, when guy's three sixty, their circle can get big, big steps, slow release gives more more time to the runner to get to second base, very compact steps to get into a real short circle and got himself in position to throw second base. It was beautiful playing and he held into a single. Those were little things that take away ninety feet. And this is a game to night where we were seeing the Giants give ninety feet. They were taking ninety feet. They were exciting game.
Speaker 5: I love them. When you're talking inside baseball like.
Speaker 3: That, the game inside the game, I get nine innings of it.
Speaker 2: WHOA how lucky are you? Wow?
Speaker 5: Well, don't get used to it.
Speaker 2: I know it was. It was a really fun game.
Speaker 3: How about the first four hitters for the Giants are six for seven in the first two innings.
Speaker 1: Crazy Chase Burns had never given up four straight hits in his whole career until the first four hitters of the game tonight.
Speaker 5: Boom boom, boom, boom.
Speaker 2: They were rockets. They were all rockets.
Speaker 1: Somehow the Giants walked out of that any It was a great start to the game, thinking the should add more.
Speaker 5: It's awesome.
Speaker 2: Love that was.
Speaker 1: That was pretty cool. All right, we'll pick players right after this. Okay, let's pick players of the game. Mike, you get to go first tonight.
Speaker 4: All righty, well, I'm going to take Ryan Walker. Everybody in the Giants kingdom knows the trials and tribulations that he has endured this year, and he had two clean innings today.
Speaker 5: And you know, he.
Speaker 4: Pitched through an unfortunate situation in his first inning when there could have been a play that could have been made and it wasn't made, but he pitched through it, left two guys stranded, and then he throws another inning. He was great what we saw him when his mechanical problems were so inconsistent, and really, you know, we saw some misses from him that were literally four and five feet away from an intended target. He did not overthrow the ball. I think guys can get so eaten up here with velocity that they overthrow and they lose their release point. I think it happened to him because tonight he wasn't overthrowing the ball, but he was painting ninety five with deception and in movement, and he was fantastic. And I think that he really made a stride in correcting himself down in the Sacramento. That will take him forward, and you know he'll look back on this time perhaps and maybe the turning point in his career. But I'm taking Walker. We root hard for him. He's a good guy and I thought he pitched well tonight and did not overthrow, showed a few.
Speaker 1: Of those old four singers, which we don't see from him all that often.
Speaker 2: I think that could be a good thing for him.
Speaker 5: Excellent point, Ye.
Speaker 2: Good pick, Good pick, Mike.
Speaker 3: I'm going to take Gilbert because I thought he set everything up with the first bat of the of the game for the Giants, set the tone. The longest double of the season for any player in the major leagues is yes, literallyty four feet and then he came up with the shortest double in the Major League his next time up.
Speaker 2: So Gilbert take there's a lot of skills.
Speaker 4: Forty eight feet for the second hit, and the contact did not.
Speaker 2: Make a noise, But he'll take it that.
Speaker 3: I'm taking him.
Speaker 5: That's a good way to hit a double, only you know, one hundred and forty eight feet and then it hits the ground and abruptly makes a ninety degree turn left. I haven't seen any of those.
Speaker 3: Hard to do, but he pulled it off.
Speaker 2: Good pick, smooth.
Speaker 1: There are I mean, there are lots of guys to pick tonight, but I'll take Devers just because Devers is getting picked.
Speaker 2: On right now.
Speaker 1: You's seeing so much left handed pitching and it's almost like I don't care what right hand or you throw. It could be Chase Burns or Mizzerowski or whoever, if it's a right hand or Devers is feeling good at the plate, and man, he crushed those two balls in the early part of the game.
Speaker 6: He did crush those. That home run swing was awesome. So I'm going Devers. Good pick, pick, good pick, all right, Dave very good. So well, I'm going to go then with.
Speaker 5: Jason Foley because he's he came in and he is the guy that wasn't in the game, all of a sudden he's in so and he's usually going to be in there the six, seven, eighth, ninth inning. So and then he had this string of right handed hitters and he had a couple of runners on base. So when he got in and the third place hitter up, so he struck him out, and struck the next two guys out of the next inning and retired everybody. So and so he kind of took a a handle on the situation where the Reds could have a couple of bassts, They might have had a couple of runs have been back in the game. So I'm going with Jason Foley.
Speaker 4: That's a good pick. He did something night I'd never seen before. He came out of the bullpen in that mode where the starting pitcher was injured, so you get all the time you want to get ready. He took six minutes stretch and doing his calisthenics on the infield, and for thirty one thousand people looked like Jack Lane Kype was throwing ice cubes at him.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh man, that hurts, But when you think about it, that's what he does in the bullpen before he throws, So he just did it on the field.
Speaker 5: I thought was pretty cool. He did his routine. I know that you've talked in the past many times we've seen guys all of a sudden they coming again the stony pitcher got hurt and they weren't expecting to be in and they couldn't handle it. They were not prepared. They weren't mentally prepared, much less physically prepared. And so he I don't know, he's a veteran, but and I don't know that he was prepared to come into a game at any time for any reason in the third inning, but he made it work. So I think he showed a lot. Know what he did.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you brought him up. I've had to do that. It's tough because you feel the pressure. People want you to go. Come on, let's go eight, let's go. And he took his time, got a strikeout at any of the third He was good, good three strikeouts.
Speaker 1: Now we know the whole key to doing that is just do your old stretching routine out on the field by the mountain exactly thinking he couldn't have done better. All right, what's on deck? Sponsored by your California four Dealers Giants Game two tomorrow and we'll see. I mean, it's going to be a similar kind of lineup with all these it's right now for these young Giants players, even the ones who aren't big prospects, it's a great opportunity to make a good impression and put yourself in the plans of this team that's looking for performance right now.
Speaker 4: So Joey Moffatana we had as a manager and with the Cubs when I was there and he was a third base coach, and Joey always was very short to the point he'd make a point and I'll never forget. Somebody was on the bench saying, you know, but they don't know what the pressure of being a young guy coming here trying to find a comfort zone. I mean, it's pressure there. And Joey looked at him and said, what do you think it's like in the playoffs? So deal with it. This is your opportunity to do something with it. Greatest advice ever was tough love, and these guys have that opportunity.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point, well, said Joey. He was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's on deck, sponsored by your California four dealers and the legendary four f one fifty truck.
Speaker 2: Visit by ford down dot com today to
Speaker 1: Find yours back at it tomorrow Night Back at It, the two of the series all Right Highlights right after this