Speaker 1: You found Dirty Work with Adam Copeland and Derek Poppa where no job is too dirty on KNBR The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work on a Monday afternoon, Adam Copeland, Deep Hoop, Danny Done hanging with you just had Matt Mayoko on forty nine Ers Insider from NBC Sports Bay Area. We kind of reiterated what we thought and knew to be true already the reporting on the Jed York situation, and that's that it's already been handled legally and he's I guess the NFL is investigating and they'll likely hand on some sort of punishment. But as he pointed out, the most comparable situation the Robert Craft won where there wasn't any real punishment and anything that affected the football team whatsoever. And as Matt said, the day to day of the team itself, none of that should change at all because he's not really involved in that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think of other situations where owners were punished, and I want to say, can remember one particular like this?
Speaker 2: This is the thing is I said this earlier, and this is you can be happy about this or not happy about this or anger like I can't, Like there's nothing you could ever do about it. But again, it's a punishment that will be handed to an owner as decided by he and his fellow owners when these things happen, right, you know what I mean? The same as like Roger Goodell can hand down whatever he wants, but he's his salary and his job is decided by that of the NFL owners, right, So he's working for the league.
Speaker 4: The owners are working for each other.
Speaker 2: So you make one guy available to be punished for something, it may come back on you, is the way I see it from their perspective, like they're kind of protecting each other. Jerry Jones just had incidents in the past, you know what I mean. There's been other other things. I just don't think any have we ever seen it. It's not like in college where a team will like lose Bowl eligibility, right, have we seen a team lose draft picks or anything that's more like cheating stuff.
Speaker 3: Jim Mersey was suspended for six games in twenty fourteen for duy where he just wasn't around for games.
Speaker 2: But again, this is sort of like a boys club here, not sort of it is. I always wonder how much of that stuff is punted. How much of that stuff is we were looking for other reasons to crap on you for other things you've done and said that we don't like, so we'll use this as the example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right about that, because Jimmy Rossy wasn't the favorite amongst every NFL owner, right he was kind.
Speaker 4: Of a pushback guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a loud guy about it, and they didn't like the way he operated. And I think when they get an opportunity, they're like, all right, well, we can't punish you for that stuff, but when the time comes then that we can get away with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, what's what happens here? But again, I'm like you were. I think a lot of NFL owners would be like, yeah, I do the same things.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I can't speculate that far. I'm just none of it surprises me. Come on, and they're handing down punishment to a guy with their same job who then could vote against them later on, And yeah, fair enough. Fair enough is always a little skewed. So I want to get to some of the other stuff, Matt said. George Kittle, if he doesn't play Week one, not likely to travel, wouldn't travel doesn't make sense and probably smart, And it seems like based on what Matt was saying on his perspective, like Kittles on playing week one, we two just might make sense, as we just pointed out for the body clock.
Speaker 3: Stuff, seems like the most logical thing where yes, he's in line to play, but again this is unprecedented with the travels, so better it's best for him to stay behind.
Speaker 2: The other thing is left guard just totally up in the air, Like there's no real answer for left guard right now. Yeah, and you're asking thirty thirty eight year old Truent Williams to sort of cover for some of that.
Speaker 3: But it does sound like Austin Pleasants is the guy once he's healthy.
Speaker 4: I think that's really the only choice of this.
Speaker 3: And also it sounds like you're correct Christian Kirk probably on IR to start the season.
Speaker 2: Well maybe we'll see. I just that to me as you were saying, You're like, well, we'll say. I'm like, it makes the most sense because it gives you the most outs. If you don't think calling would clear waivers and land on practice squad and Kirk is not practicing, is not one hundred percent healthy and there's a chance he's missing games anyway. In the if you missed two of the first four just to put them on ir, it's not worth it, right, keep calling, and it gives you five weeks into week five before Seattle to decide which path you go. And if he gets healthy and somebody else needs a receiver, then you've got an option potentially to move him.
Speaker 4: All right. Christian McCaffrey did hit the practice field again. Pointed this out.
Speaker 2: Three hundred and forty three touches last year led the NFL three hundred eleven carries, the most he's ever had in his career by like a pretty good margin, you know what I mean, like a decent number of carries, like a whole other game worth of carries. He did the same thing where he led the league carry and touches back in twenty twenty three twenty one touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Now, just go to the super Bowl and all that.
Speaker 2: The next year, usage was a problem, seemingly it was ten tonights.
Speaker 4: It was a usage type of injury.
Speaker 2: So he's back on the practice field now after missing some practice. Here's McCaffrey talking about how this was a plan for him to ramp up cool off and then ramp back up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, obviously when you don't practice, you know, the way the way the media works now is firestorm. But you know, this was kind of part of the plan from the jump, was to ramp up pretty big, get nine to ten practices in kind of come back down and then ramp back up so we're fresh for the duration. So you know, our staff's done a great job of kind of coming up with specific plans. And you know, again I feel great, So you know, feel fresh and it's good to be back out there again.
Speaker 3: Dude, I think he sounds just like John Lynch.
Speaker 4: They do have the same sort of cadence.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I believe him. I don't think it's anything contract wise, like he knew that the younger guys we're gonna get big time deals in b Jeon Robertson and Jamior Gibbs. And yes, I think that there is some tightness. They're not gonna know which body part that is, but yeah, I think it was part of the plant from the get go. When it comes to Christian McCaffrey, Nick Bosa, Kyle Shanan needs those guys.
Speaker 2: I mean, Mayo Goo is right now, mayrgu just joined us in the full interview on the sports Leader dot Com and the app in saying that, like, it didn't make any sense to start practicing and then.
Speaker 4: Sit out after ten days of practice.
Speaker 2: If you were going to try to get a contract, Yeah, right, if you were holding in for a contract, why would you work?
Speaker 4: Why would you start at all? Is the point?
Speaker 2: Now you asked the question about whether or not they're handling him differently McCaffrey, and I think you have to believe they are. But I think they also have to believe that they're handling the team different because of the age of the roster. Is the age of the difference making players right until the other guys prove it, the younger guys or establish themselves. Your best hope right now is banking on that core of aging, benged up guys who shitting with the Warriors. But like, when they're at their best, they can be really, really dangerous, especially with Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 4: At the helm.
Speaker 3: And also I think Kyle has to look within himself to be like, Okay, it's obviously not the substation here, but why are my guys getting injured?
Speaker 6: Is it me?
Speaker 3: Is it something else? Is the way we practice so I think he's taken all that into account, especially when McCaffrey in the amount of touches he had a year ago, he doesn't want to repeat of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's what he brings up here. And that's the one concerned I had coming into the season. I think I said to you at the very end of last year, is at what point do the Niners just have to start thinking about life beyond Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 4: Right, at what point can.
Speaker 2: They say a season was saved by him last year? Right, like what he was able to do. I don't know where they'd be without him anyway. Yeah, but like there's nobody else they would have had they could have saved them in the way that he did last season with all the other pieces that were moving around. And we're coming back and then falling off again. So like, at what point can he not be that guy? The hope is you can still maximize that value every time he touches the ball this year. But here's McCaffrey on that injury he had twenty four and how this has nothing to do with his current work.
Speaker 5: I don't think it had anything to do with it, you know, obviously there's you want to learn from the past, and you know, going through a full training camp is a lot of work. And you know, I've monitored my practice schedule since twenty nineteen. I remember North Turner used to kick me out of practice in Carolina just cuz, you know, say go find shade and uh, you know, I always you know, sometimes I can probably be my worst enemy. And how much I just love being out there. I want to run, I want to go, I want every you know, I want every play. I'm a competitor.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: And but you know, I think again, when you have people smarter than you than understand you know, not just what you've been through, but what we plan on doing this season, it's it's about being fresh for the duration, and it's about seventeen Sundays and God willing you know, more more weeks after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's obviously different injury, but of course, you know, I want to repeat history and the way that things are handled.
Speaker 4: Two years old and you're you're you're two years older from when that happened before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I'm thirty years old. They have to take him an account where he is an older n back and call. You acknowledged that, I think at the end of the year press conference last year. So yeah, I like the way they're doing things this year, and I like to see more of christ McCaffrey spelled, to see more of Jordan James or Kaylon Black, whoever's running back at this point. But yeah, I like the way they're handling things in this offense.
Speaker 2: I think he proved even at whatever was twenty seven years old when they went to the Super Bowl, that he was the best running back in the game. Then I think he proved at that season twenty one touchdowns, led the league in Russian nearly that like has been thousand thousand, like all that stuff in his career he established he's a Hall of Famer. He was still a great running back that has already done it with the shelf life at an elite level longer than most guys do it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I think he understands now at what he's been through. He said there and where they planned to go this year, that that title, not that that was anything he was he was vying for, but that that title is not the most important thing. What the most important thing is is being fresh in the playoffs. Yeah, because if there's one thing he doesn't have.
Speaker 4: It's it's a ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a super Bowl and so if he wants to be there and he wants to compete for that and be at his bat, he knows what he's got to do has got to be different now than it.
Speaker 4: Was last year and the year before.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So, while they're not related, I think the preparation is it has to be related in that you're making sure it doesn't happen again.
Speaker 3: No, you ding him out there. Yeah, there's a reason why they made the postseasons because of Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 2: Well, on that same tip, we're like the same sort of thing about George Kittle, right need him. It's not about being the best tight end of the game. It's not about record setting. You can do all that, You've done all that. It's about getting that Super Bowl. Here's what Christian McCaffrey had to say about George Kittle getting healthy.
Speaker 5: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: I've been We've been watching him, you know, you know, just because guys aren't out there practicing, they're still working out. So I've been watching him for the last i don't know, four or five weeks going out there and working out, and he looks incredible, and it's it's it really is amazing. It's a testament to his work ethic, how much time he puts into recovering. But to come back this fast, you know, there's a difference between coming back quickly and coming back and looking like that, and so it's it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: When eighty five is on the field, when he's in shoulder pads and a helmet, everybody on the team feels it.
Speaker 3: It is incredible. It is incredible he's able to back so quickly. But it sounds like it's probably gonna be with George Kittle? What's up?
Speaker 4: Is it that incredible?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 4: I mean again, I'm starting. I'm trying to start this this theory.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 4: This conspiracy theory? Okay, I'm gonna use all my power to start it.
Speaker 3: Go for it.
Speaker 2: The substation is healing George Kittle faster than it hurt him. I'll let you start that one get away, Camby are is the substation actually on Kittle's side as it picked favorites? Could be the case you or like you said, animantium, dude, that's true some wolverine stuff.
Speaker 3: But I don't think it's a substation. I think it's George Kittle in his recovery.
Speaker 4: You can say, but it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like it probably would be more in line for week two. But you asked an interesting question, as we talked about earlier in the show, it was more likely to play in Australia. Is it gonna be George Kittle or Nick Bosa?
Speaker 4: You said Bosa. I think you're probably right, but I.
Speaker 3: Want to be the list bit surprised that they keep him out of that game.
Speaker 2: I see now what I'm saying. It's like we're getting to the point where I'm like, what's up with Bosa? Because like if you were gonna ask like a position, you almost asked, Mayo, go this it's probably a pregame question, like the position you feel worse about today than you did entering camp defensive end kind of Oh you know what I mean, Like like Bosa's not been out there practicing like normal, But.
Speaker 3: I think this maybe be this may be part of the plan as well. Yeah, the same thing with McCaffrey, where yes, I think when we we hear Kyle say, oh he's got even said like himself with the knee issue with Nick Bosa. I don't think the tend was part of the plan, not part of the plan, but he kind of like kind of like threw that out.
Speaker 4: Is it's something that happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think it may be the same thing where it's like we're gonna have you practice for a couple of weeks, then we'll you know, kind of have you off a little bit and ease you back in. I think he's kind of doing the same approach with McCaffrey that he's doing with Nick Bosa.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. It's just it's just that having to do that doesn't it doesn't like light the light of confidence in me. It makes me more nervous about how fragile.
Speaker 3: Is coming off of a major injury.
Speaker 4: I totally agree. It's why this thing is fragile.
Speaker 2: And I don't feel great and haven't like the I can't feel any different about the defense. And let's say improve the pass rush and there's nothing to suggest we'll see what happens with the DIGGI Zua. Yeah, but again, that's not outside.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. There's nobody else and mikel Williams it sounds like he's a long shot for Week one.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I don't think he's back. No, I think they've kind of made it.
Speaker 3: So if you're down mike l Williams and Nick Bosa week one, I mean it's like kind of like last year when Matthew Stafford all day to throw against that defense.
Speaker 2: I just I just don't know. I just don't know because we haven't seen him on the field. And the same with Evans, like he's dealt with three different sort of nagging injuries and they say they pulled them from practice today or yesterday as a precaution, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean it's concerned.
Speaker 4: I don't like having to go for caution. He said three injuries.
Speaker 3: This I know, but you know what, I will say this, and I get it. It's more amplified with the forty nine ers, but when you look around the league, there's so many guys that are just sitting out right now. And that's just the way that the coaches can handle it when it comes to their veteran players, and Kyle Shanahan's you know, no exception there, So I get it. I totally understand. At the same time, I'd rather be safe than sorry, and hopefully all these guys play week one well.
Speaker 2: Preseason injury fear is out of control, as evidence by what happened with Ashton j.
Speaker 3: I thought he died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the the Las Vegas Raiders, Ashton Jenty injured himself in practice yesterday and reports made it seem like you tours cl that was not the case. We've got some news from around the NFL. We'll talk more about that. And Deshaun Watson with the quickest backpedal you've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh you got booed?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, dude, he gets booed on is that on Saturday?
Speaker 3: On Saturday?
Speaker 2: It's boot on Saturday in Cleveland and has some thoughts about it the fans, and then gets named the starter on Monday and he's like, oh wait, I have I have.
Speaker 4: To sort of walks out of that now. Yeah. So you'll get a before and after of Deshaun Watson. We'll hear all of that and talk about around the NFL news. Next. Susan Selesster at four to fifty on These Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dirty Work Adam Copeland and Derek Papa on K and B R one O four five and six eighty Am The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work with yon a Monday afternoon. Aut I'm Copland Deepop Danny with you. Susan Selester joined us in about ten minutes at four fifty.
Speaker 4: So I've got some.
Speaker 2: Giants Baseball one five on that road trip. Yeah, and then we'll we'll talk some of the Dever situation with her as well. We have Giants pregame five to forty five tonight for a six forty five. First pitch is to get ready for a three game series with the Cincinnati Reds, my former pet team.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, dude, why was.
Speaker 2: That nineteen ninety eight Cincinnati Reds one of my favorite pet teams I've ever had.
Speaker 4: I would never call myself.
Speaker 2: I don't like when people are like, that's my second team, it's one of my It's honestly, this is a pet that's my pet peeve list. Okay, I like pet teams though I don't like pet peeve. It's a pet peeve. But you have a pet team. Yeah, yeah, Well, I don't like when people are like, well, that's my second team.
Speaker 4: They're just like root heavy for two team. IM like they're in the same league.
Speaker 3: You mean, like Walter and the Blue Jays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my that's my American League team. I'm like, no, you know, you've never even been to Toronto. He's got family, though, has he been?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh he has been.
Speaker 3: He has been.
Speaker 4: That doesn't count.
Speaker 2: Like Jacob Violante and Danny's over here with his Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm like, no, no, no, just because your family roots.
Speaker 3: For the Steelers. Yeah, he's leaning towards Pirates.
Speaker 4: Are you a Steelers fan, Danny?
Speaker 2: Are you a Niner fan? I'm a Niner fan. Yeah, the Steelers. Yeah, okay, that a boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that room in your grandma's house, says otherwise is grandma's house.
Speaker 4: It's all Pittsburgh. Yeah, they're from there.
Speaker 2: That's okay. She's written Steelers, all right. She's not like, all right now, I'm a Niner fan because I'm here. When I was a kid, I love kengrafy right, and I love individual I think that's kind of what I fall out more too, is individual players. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like I like certain guys who watched their games. Okay, but I used to listen to a lot of broadcasts. I'd listened to a lot of Rays broadcasts for a number of years.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I love Joe angel I know, I get a lot of crap for that, but I love my guy Joe Angel as a Richie called him the Angel of Death. Yeah, but I'd listened to Orioles games, so I like, I'd like follow those teams. You would like get to know the teams. What the ninety eight Reds do. When Griffy went to the Reds after leaving.
Speaker 3: The Mariners in ninety eight. I think it was a little bit later, like two thousand and one.
Speaker 4: Two thousand one.
Speaker 2: Anyway, even before that, I think it was I love Sean Casey when he came up there, Brett tom Co was on the hill there, love their catcher, Eddie Toobbins. Did Pokey reached the second basement? Good Berry Larkin?
Speaker 4: Was it short?
Speaker 2: It's pretty fun. I like those teams. Okay, So those like pet teams that you start to like, you know what I mean. I think if I have a pet teams would come the formalists. There were the Reds you yeah, yeah, hurt anybody out there. They're cut off jerseys.
Speaker 3: I mean for me, like the Raiders were so bad for my childhood. There's teams that you watch are in the regular season're like, oh, I like this team. I'm gonna follow them the rest of the regular season so all the time. Yeah, I did that a lot of Warriors too, Like my dad did the Spurs games a little bit time. So it's gonna be a Spurs fan as well.
Speaker 4: On the side, I told you there's a lot of guys in Australia Budd's I have that. I know that.
Speaker 2: Are there are fans of individual players, yeah, not in in the NBA, not teams bronze sexuals. Yeah, or like guys who love Kevin Durant and so they're like, I root for whatever team Kevin Durant is.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm like that's interesting. But you live far away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't be don't be from the band and be like yeah, but dude, Also, come on, I love the Broncos.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, that's my second team.
Speaker 3: Well I thought I thought it was lame, like and again this is just my Warrior fandom. But like in the early two thousands when the Warriors were tearle and then like a lot of fans would be like, all right, I'm off the Warriors. I'm gonna join the Lakers bandwagoning d and root on Kobe and Shack.
Speaker 2: If you want to jump. If you want to jump ship, fine, but you got to stay on that ship. Like one of my buddies, Brian what Brian from from high school, die hard Laker fan from the Bay Area's entire life, but a huge, massive Kobe fan, diehard Laker fan hosted like Laker.
Speaker 4: I remember watching the Magic.
Speaker 2: Lose Game one to the Lakers out at his house, you know what I mean, Jamiir Nelson and who else they have?
Speaker 4: Patia Was he on that team? Or Hito turk Glue? Is he on that team?
Speaker 3: Turka Glue?
Speaker 4: Was it Haito turk Glue?
Speaker 3: His name was Turka Glue, Turk Lo, t u r K was on that He was on that team. I'm not to pronounce his name, but.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think that was it. Yeah, team was fun Dwight Howard.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this guy was a diehard Laker fan and then and you know, basically decided when he was a kid, I'm going Lakers.
Speaker 4: I'm all in some kids.
Speaker 2: Mike Minage went Kings too because of the the Chris Weber Divak baby like those were choice but okay choice anyway, the Warrior's stunk, right, So then then the Lakers just bottom out right, Kobe retires on that and the Warrior Dynasty starts, and now Brian has got to live through all of his friends. Oh dude, he shows up to I remember, we're at a finals watch party here in the city with my buddies at a friend's house. He rolls in and he had a Harrison Barnes jersey on, and we were like, dude, take it off.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're with a jersey, at least you going Harrison Barnes.
Speaker 4: No, but I was like, you don't get to jump on now, No, you don't. You got to hate on us forever for being laughing Lakers. He believed, we believe you're like, big.
Speaker 2: Deal, you knocked out one team and what he didn't carries it gets the Lakers. I got Kobe, I'm all this, we got more titles. And then he shows up rocking the Harrison Barnes. I was like, I'll never let you.
Speaker 3: Live this day and like totally was like George Costanz like coming to come to work next day, but like, oh yeah, have always been a Warriors fan.
Speaker 2: He wasn't really like that, but it still was. He's like I'm rooting for him, Like no, don't, I don't want you to root get away.
Speaker 3: No, once you put on that purple and gold, you're done.
Speaker 2: He's still rooting Lakers like he's die hard Lakers and he really is, Like he can't do both huge basketball, Michael Thompson, you can't do that.
Speaker 4: No, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: Or Missus Kelsey, Well, well differently, you know the mom very different.
Speaker 4: I think you should have to pick.
Speaker 3: You think so?
Speaker 4: I think we should. I think that should we should do that. Missus Kelsey, you have to pick.
Speaker 3: She's all chiefs.
Speaker 4: Now, who's your favorite?
Speaker 3: Jason's out of the league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's easy, It's easy.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: It'd be funny if, like if if she starts wearing half of a gold jacket until she gets the other half, she starts wearing Jason's like she wears what she gets one half gold and the other half golds.
Speaker 3: For the day that Taylor Swift shows up to cannon for Travis Kelsey at the head, will they beat again and add more chairs?
Speaker 2: Does this feel like a long haul celebrity relationship? Feels like that it'll last till then?
Speaker 3: I hope so for those two kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too, man, I'm rooting for it.
Speaker 2: I'm rooting for him too. I do want to hit this sound before we get the Susans lester. What's up the Deshaun Watsons? Oh yeah, let's do Did we get to this?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: In some news from around the NFL, So, Deshaun Watson was named the Browns starting quarterback today, but on Saturday, after his performance and what did he do?
Speaker 4: What were his numbers?
Speaker 3: He was five of twelve? He threw an interception. He looked the same old DeShawn mobs.
Speaker 2: Dude, what did they expect he was gonna do five to twelve and a pick? Yeah, that's kind of what I assumed. Anyways, he's leaving the game.
Speaker 4: He got booed.
Speaker 3: Oh during the game. The entire time he was out there, he was booed.
Speaker 4: Who cheered?
Speaker 6: When?
Speaker 4: Where was he?
Speaker 2: When he when he tore the kill and they cheered, and he remembered they cheered when he when he tore his achilles, and then they booed his performance on Saturday. Here's what he said after the game about his home fans.
Speaker 4: That winning and playing better would unliminate some of that bullying.
Speaker 7: Last time I played on this field, I told my achilles. In that same fan base, they cheered when I got hurt, So does that does that have to do it? But does that have to do with anything about performance? When a person get hurt, especially for your own city, and they.
Speaker 4: Cheer, does that make you regret coming here?
Speaker 7: No, I don't regret anything in my life. You know, I think the lawyer put me through situations for a reason, So I don't. I don't regret anything at all. But you know, I had different thoughts on how it was going to be, but you know, it is what it is. You know, sometimes you know the table's turned and I'm patient enough because I'm a check out of God to you know, wait for that time to.
Speaker 3: Say, Okay, never grew anything in life.
Speaker 4: Never regretted it.
Speaker 3: I don't remeber.
Speaker 4: I don't regret anything.
Speaker 2: Not one of the twenty eight women who accused you in civil lawsuits of sexual assault, not one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not any of it.
Speaker 3: That's not reading the room. That's Sshaun Watson being like, I'm the victim here. You're the victim. Why because they cheered an injury? And again I don't condone that. But at the same time, I know, I know, I know, I know you. You and Tom were very vocal about that.
Speaker 2: Tom was I not read for injury. But Tom and I were like, there's one guy injury and.
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 2: It's Deshaun Watson and it's because of what the Haslams did to to circumvent having to get out of it. They broke the like they didn't break the market. They way overpaid him two hundred and fifty million, and don't forget everybody, his first season in Cleveland where he was suspended, they paid him with all of these allegations. Yeah, on the table, they gave him two to fifty and the first year they negotiated, it's all guaranteed to give him only one million, so he only missed out in a million. So not only that, like they deserve everything coming to him. They can't cut him because I'll just die on the cap.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. I just him saying like that fan base almost like he's like separating himself from the fan base there, like he doesn't want to be there. So that's just a terrible look. And you should not say that after you're going to be the starting quarterback of that football team. Like, I don't blame Browns fans for booing him, and let's not act like it was some moral epiphany for them. Like I remember some Browns fans having terrible, terrible signs when they first traded for him in support of him, but then he played horrible and they were like, all right, boo this man, boo him, but like, don't act like a child, Deshaun Watson, and then he and then he got the starting gig.
Speaker 2: Well then then he finds out after that all that fiasco on Saturday, he finds out he's the starting quarterback of a Cleveland Brown So today then he's like, oh, maybe maybe I should walk back some of what I said on Saturday about the fans. Here's to Sean after finding out he's the starter.
Speaker 7: First off, I want to address the comments from Saturday after the game. You know, I think just you know, human nature, just myself being very emotional, putting a lot of time these last two years to you know, get back and you know, spend time in this facility in the city, meeting a lot of different people in the community. You know, I thought I was gonna get you know, a little different response, but uh, you know, I think, you know, my emotions got the best of me, and you know, I wasn't in my comments wasn't intending to go at any of the fans around in the city because there's been a lot of great fans that have been supporting me. And I know the frustration this organization have put, you know, a lot of investment and coming, you know, to get me back in the in twenty two and uh, and things haven't been going the right direction that we thought it was. You know, a lot of injuries, a lot of time off and not putting the best football and my foot forward. So again, just you know, I understand the frustration, I understand everything that kind of goes into that, you know, and moving forward, I just want to focus on football, making sure that you know, I'm putting the best product out there, having the best ability, you know, because I thrive off the energy. I throw off the energy of the fans, I throw off the energy of the community. I thrive off all that stuff.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: I think looking back in my history at Clemson and uh, you know, previous set up Houston organization.
Speaker 3: All right, okay, all right, that's enough. Yeah, that's simply just Jimmy Haslm's thing down, being like, look, dude, we're taking a chance on you. You're a social pariah, and you're we're the only team in the league willing to take a chance on you because we have to, because we made a terrible decision.
Speaker 4: I mean, his money's made, That's what I'm like, Yeah, go away, I.
Speaker 3: Know, but but Haslam wants to get his money's worth. Like I think last year at this time he said, like we swung and missed at the Deshaun Watson thing. And now he's back, So I'm sure he was like, look, dude, you're the starting quarterback. We're going to play you on the road for the first two games of the regular season. Then probably go Shador, you need to apologize to these fans.
Speaker 4: Get worse soon.
Speaker 2: Italy came here five six seven, the number to call and the number de text will take a quick break when we come on back. Shoos and slo Us covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicle. We'll talk to her about that road Fred, what are the Giants even looking to evaluate at this point? When could we see Marcelo Meyer talk about that with Susan Sleser next only here on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 7: Because I'm a child, I've got.
Speaker 1: Now back to dirty work. Adam Copeland and Derek Papa in the k NBR Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in? Please play responsibly? Called one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Dirty work on a Monday afternoon, Monday evening Adam Copeland Derek Papa, hanging.
Speaker 4: Out with you.
Speaker 2: Susan Sleser covers the San Francisco Giants for the San Francisco Chronicles. She joins us every week here on the UMA guest Line. Susan is sponsored by Surfside. It's not a Seltzer, It's Surfside, proud partner of the Giants. Susan with us on the UMA guest Line. Susan, how are you today?
Speaker 6: I'm great? How are you good?
Speaker 2: We are doing well. I mean, obviously a rough road trip. The season is what it is at this point. Some other stuff I want to get into, But just looking at the lineup today and I'm thinking, how different this team looks right now relative to where it was at the trade deadline. How different is the vibe in the clubhouse because it does feel like we're getting more of a because of where we are late in the season. You don't go to forty man expansion in September. But they're kind of shuffling guys in and out to get a look almost every day.
Speaker 6: It seems like, yeah, I mean they said, and you know, they just had a huge flurry of moves. Today, Domis finally goes on the IL, which was something that you know, maybe needed to happen a while back with the back. Now he's got a left elbow spring. That's a no brainer. You got to stick him, you know, maybe and maybe this helps the back out. Tony Vtelo apparently was just telling the reporters, I got back super late last night, so I'm just talking to you guys. That's my job today.
Speaker 4: Awesome, thank you appreciated it off there.
Speaker 6: But it sounds like, you know, he'll be back before the end of the season. Do they even really need to push anybody to come back before the end of the season, any of the regulars, I don't think.
Speaker 5: So this is about.
Speaker 6: Looking at guy guys. You're right, if they are on the forty man right now, I think they get a look. I'm not sure they'll they'll race to put guys on the forty man because of the labor uncertainty next year. You want your guys being eligible to play in the minors if and when it comes to that, if they don't have to be protected, they probably will stay off the forty man. So yeah, this is like, look, I know a lot of people make a big deal out of one hundred losses and all that. To me, what's the difference. Just find out what you need to know right now for next year. What do you need to add. What positions can guys play. Is a guy a starter? Is he a reliever? Is he Maybe not in your plans at all, but you know these are the things they need to be finding out right now. Put guys in different situations, put them into us situations. Look at what Dylan Smith did at Fenway Park the other day. You know, these are the kind of things you want to test guys. Give them that experience now and then maybe you have something next year.
Speaker 3: So, Susan, last week, me and John Dickinson asked you how you think rap Field Devil's Raffaeld Devils will be perceived at UH at Boston, and you said, you hope that he's cheered. And you know, it was the same same opinion of Dave Fleming and Andrew Baggley during the week and he got booed. And I can't say I'm surprised, but how disappointing was that on Friday night?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, East Coast fans can sometimes be a little bit of a different breed. I'd hoped the Red Sox fans, I know all love Rafael Devers, like they ask about how do we do when we miss him? Uh? You know, I I At the time it happened, it seemed like everybody kind of pointed the finger at Craig Breslo for maybe some communications things, and you know, there was sympathy for a devors so suddenly, you know, being moved off third, being told don't even bring a glove to spring training, and then being asked suddenly to play first, and he was like kind of what, like what what what's next? You guys?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: So uh, I think then there was sympathy now in retrospect, like, look, Craig Breslo is looking not bad at all with some of the things he's done this year, and the team is playing great. Best second half team you guys know the history of uh sort of wildcard teams that have huge second halse is pretty good. Once you get into the postseason and then they add Eric Miller. He's done some really nice things, so I think the tides turned a little bit, and you know he's coming in with another team too. Sometimes that's all it takes. It's just he's a he's an enemy uniform and he used to be our guy. Now he's not a.
Speaker 2: Gott Susan Slesher on the Uma guess line, the guy the Giants got back and they trade from the Red Sox for Eric Miller. Marcelo Meyer has played four games in a rehab stint down in Triple and has hit okay. He's had a fairly high strike out number, but in general, is he still dealing with something different than the ulna stress fracture whatever he was dealing with before, because he hasn't been in every game, and I guess he's gonna meet with the team again tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah. He missed a couple of games, I think in June with Boston after fouling a ball off his right foot, and it's that right foot spot hearing him again. Maybe too much activity, maybe working a little too hard trying to get I think he was really focused on being back in time for that Boston series that he absolutely wanted to play in that and maybe just with a little too much as he was rehabbing. Setbacks and rehab obviously are not unusual, but in this case, considering it's completely different body part, but it wasn't a previous injury. It's a little bit of a tough one. You know, his reputation is he's hurt a lot. You don't want that reputation at twenty three, so he needs to get fully healthy. I know we are all really desperate to see him, myself included, especially after being to Boston. Boston's coaches were coming up to me and telling me how great this guy is, like what a natural performer, what a great person like. They love him in Boston. They really think he's a special, special talent. He just hasn't been able to stay on the field, and he hasn't gotten that kind of big league experience that turns you into a real bonafide big leaker. He needs that. So they need to get him healthy and keep him on the field because I think he really could be, you know, a potentially an all Star caliber type player. This is a guy who was the consensus one to one in the draft. He fell to four for many reasons, including finnability. But he's been a top fifteen ranked prospect forever and Boston's number one ranked prospect three out of four years.
Speaker 3: That's that's huge, Taco. Susan Slusser on the Uma guest line Blade Tidwell was great on Saturday, seven strikeouts, only three hits allowed. What have you made of his time as a starter and his place on this team for the future.
Speaker 6: I think he's pretty much nailed down, certainly a very long look in the rotation next year. I think he goes in at least as a favorite. Spring training might decide some of this, obviously, health, other factors. Do they sign somebody, do they add a starter or too. I think their focus probably is going to be on the bullpens. They might have enough even if if they're okay going with a very young rotation, if it really they're really seeing the quality they want, and Tidwell has jumped out, so I think he's the leader in the pack among the young guys for a rotation spot next year. And you know, kind of a note brainer. The one kind of iffy outing since he's been back, he had a little bit back stiffness and it kind of affected his command, So I'm going to throw that one out. He was back to looking great the other day and in you know, a situation with sold out crowd night game Fenway Park, you know, absolutely raucous Fenway Park crowd.
Speaker 4: He did great four minutes. It was Susan Slesser on the Uman guest line.
Speaker 2: You has noted like bullpen in the off season is certainly going to be something that they go after starting pitching, something they definitely need more of as well.
Speaker 4: Outside of pitching.
Speaker 2: Is there another position do you think Buster has already identified as to an absolute need this offseason because a lot of these guys will be back or under contract for controllable for next season, and adding Marcella Myron gives you sort of an option with him in casey and then if case he goes back to left field, or if you've got Meyer a second dase, I'm just jung Houli's under contract. Is there another position you think he's looking at as an absolute need to find?
Speaker 6: I don't know if they necessarily have to go out and look for any free agents among the position players and look, Eldridge has turned himself into a big leaguer and might be a really good one. Jung Hu Lee now looks like he belongs. You know, I don't think there are any doubts about John Hu Lee. They've got three very promising catchers. He probably want to pick up a veteran catcher, but that's not going to be like a huge, you know, a huge deal. I can't see them going on and signing, say, an all star type catcher. I don't think they need to. And then they've got you know, all these all these and thrills. Right now, what they're doing is it's almost open tryouts for some of the outfield spots. And I you know, they've got a lot of options, a lot of talent out there, so it depends on what they're going for. They do seem to really like this idea of pushing the action running a lot. Gilbert fits that mold. Jonah Cox obviously fits that mold. They get some really fast guys. If Grant McCrae could show that he could hit at all of the big league level consistently, I think he very much would be a consideration. He's back today with that flurry of moves, So they've got a lot of certainly a lot of options there. Who knows if at some point they go like, you know what, we really need another big bat and it needs to be in the outfield. Okay, but I think they're probably setting me infield again, assuming full health.
Speaker 3: Bryce Olders is office series due to his grandfather's funeral, a few mistakes this weekend at first base. But how do you view his growth at first base this season so far?
Speaker 6: Well, he looks good there and honestly, it's fine either way. They've got Devors who can play first, and it's pretty good there. Bryce is getting there whenever he's needed. It's been he had a little bit of let's get Bryce a little more time in the field, and also Devers has had a little bit of hamstring tightness, who knows, So you know, that's kind of that's probably how that position will now shake out from here again when both are available. I think a little bit of splitting time. And Eldridge is good, you know, he's certainly a big target. He's really picked up an idea. He's mostly good. But he's so young, you guys, you know, he's twenty one. He's still he's learning the position and what he brings offensively. If he makes a mistake or two here or there. Honestly, I thought the play he made to at the end of the game the other day not the best throw, but even just to smother that ball and get off a decent you know, okay throw, he bounces it, but he got it there. You know I'm not gonna dig in for that one.
Speaker 2: Susan Seleser the voice she hear covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicles. She joins us every week here on Dirty Work. Susan, I appreciate the time as always, enjoyed the rest of your off day.
Speaker 3: Thanks Susan.
Speaker 6: Fantastic, Thank all.
Speaker 2: Right, good stuff there from Susan Selester. She did mention a flurry of moves and if you haven't looked at the Giants lineup today, it is a interesting It's a doozy, yeah, a doozy to say the least. I'll get you all the moves here for the Giants, So medical updates and roster moves today.
Speaker 4: And there are a lot of them, so stick with me right here, okay.
Speaker 2: Infielder Nate Furman, outfielder Grant McCrae, right handed pitcher Anthony Molina, right hander pitcher Ryan Walker and infielder Shay Whitcombe have all been recalled from Triple A Sacramento.
Speaker 4: Five players recalled today from Triple A.
Speaker 2: Nate Furman, Grant McCrae, Anthony Molina, Ryan Walker, Shay Whitcombe all called.
Speaker 4: Up from Triple A Sacramento.
Speaker 2: Bryce Seldridge, as you pointed out, attending his father, his grandfather's funeral. He's been placed on the breave Mill list. So that's one guy. Matt Wilkinson tug boat optioned to Triple A Sacramento. Oh, okay, probably to keep him on starting schedule, all right. It would be my guest, William Domas placed on a ten day injured list with a left elbow sprain. Vitello said he thinks he'll be back before the end of the season. Victor Barracotto, leftfielder, places back on the ten day al with that right knee bone bruise that he's suffered this weekend. And then JT. Brew Baker has bruised ribs more like JT. Bruce Baker anyway, right there, man. Sometimes sometimes it just loft up to me and I gotta take a wing. Yeah, And sometimes it's a slow pitch, soft Ballack can't fold you for that, and you gotta you gotta take away. You know, No, I didn't say it was gonna be a straight shooter.
Speaker 4: I'd said they'd all be good anyway.
Speaker 1: J T.
Speaker 2: Brew Baker on the fifteen day, I l with the bruised ribs. So five guys come up from Triple A Sacramento and the lineup today is one. We're like, who, I can't tell you how how much different this is then? Uh been like it was three weeks ago or at the trade deadline.
Speaker 3: It is what it is at this point, man, it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of incredible.
Speaker 2: So leading off in centerfield, Drew Kilbert Nevers hit second at first base, A right generally hits third at DH Turner Hill and.
Speaker 4: Left field he bouts fourth. Drew Cavanaugh hits fifth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two in the catching Nate Furman, Okay, second base, there you go, that's right, Shay Whitcomb at third base, who he's hitting seventh, McCrae hitting eighth in Rye field, and then Christian Costs is uh cost ninth actually generally the agent today Costan and n And we were joking during the break, We're like, dude, Costs like Eve with this lineup.
Speaker 3: I'm come gets the spot ahead of me.
Speaker 2: Come on, dude, I get hit above. Furman can't get me up there, man, give up. Costa've been running the bench all year. Man, I don't've been playing a lot more lately. But it's just, oh, my guy, Hack you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: That's out there. He's like you kidding me? Pet, Furman and Witcombe.
Speaker 3: How many more games we go?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I don't want to count. It's too high of a number to count real quickly.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: Hey, come on, we need and we need to cherish my Kruco on the brock.
Speaker 4: We do need to cherish my Crooker.
Speaker 2: We got Giants pregame coming your way in uh just a little while, A five forty five Giants pregame for a uh six forty five first pitch right here on the sports Leader and uh yeah, if I tell us saying that William Domas lands back on the injured list, this time with the strained or sprained left elbow, but he could return before the end of the season, I hope. So there's some other stuff we want to get into here. In terms of the sound, we'll do a sound for you coming up at the bottom of the hour and then at five forty five, we'll get you ready for the Giants and the Cincinnati Reds, game one of a three game series.
Speaker 4: So pitching matchup tonight.
Speaker 2: Carson wizzen Hunt, he's been struggling, yes, three and four with a seven three ERA, makes the start tonight against Chase Burns, who's not been struggling. Boon fourteen and two, Simpson wizen hood Ey, Chase Burns, Cayson Wizenhad Eh.
Speaker 4: He's fourteen and two with a two five one ERA on the year is Burns? Good lord, he's been fantastic.
Speaker 2: Giants by the way, lineup, he's al righty the Giants, by the way, I don't think I gave this to you. He's they're running out one, two, three, four, five, six. The giants first six hitters are left handed, okay, and uh then you got to McCray. It's give me Witcomb's righty hitting seventh. McCray is another lefty, So seven of their nine hitters are lefties in this one, all right against a boon Zay.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll take a quick break. When do we come on back?
Speaker 2: Raphael Devers was boot in Boston we'll play some of that sound for you. But the question I would ask, and you can check in at eight owek km be are on the phone line or the Golden State Lumber and Showroom text line.
Speaker 4: I'll ask you Derek too.
Speaker 2: We'll go back and forth this when is it appropriate to boo a returning player?
Speaker 4: Okay, when do you boo them?
Speaker 2: And then furthermore, I guess the question you have to ask is does how they left matter more than the fact that they left.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that
Speaker 2: Next dirty work on a Monday afternoon only here on the Sports Leader