Speaker 1: Giants Rangers, game two of this three game series. Dave Fleming with the Giants manager Tony Vitello as we get ready for this game after you know, last night had to be an unusual night. That's not judgmental, just with all that went on during the day, and I thought it was pretty impressive the way your group played a focused game considering everything that was going on before the game even started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's one of those examples of two roads diverged in a wood. You can choose which one you want to go down, And you know, with all the emotions and the chatter and the rumors speculation, the game started and all the known factors that needed to be known were known, and the guys decided to come out with energy, and I thought it was noticeable, especially when you got a closed dome and it was a good crowd, but it's not a full house. I thought the most energetic thing in the whole stadium was our group of guys in the dugout and on the field, how they played. And probably would be remiss if I didn't say Webby gets the most credit because how he blocked all that going on around him in the locker room, in the training room prior to the game. It was extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. A guy who's been here for a long time and cares about this franchise and cares about those people that he was with that it probably was harder on him than almost anybody. By the way, we got a Robert Frost reference in on this shit that doesn't happen very often on the Manager Show. The other guy who stood out yesterday, I mean, lots of guys did, but Jung hou Lee played one of his best games. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's got such a short, beautiful swing when he stays compact, and he can get to a pitch on either side of the plate. But a lot of guys have a weakness inside and he can kind of get to that pitch as quick as anyone. Buddy, Kenny Kennedy and I were talking before the game. It's almost like a quick cobra strike. And he did it twice yesterday to leave the park, but did it another time too, And then the defense that he put out there was tremendous. He and Webby seem to have a love affair a little bit going on. I mean, he's been good all year long, but in particular, he's changed some of Webby's outings.
Speaker 1: It's true, if you went back and did like the defensive highlights for Djung Hu, I bet half of them have come when Webby's been on the mound. It's hard to explain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, part of it the cynical coach and me wants to say, we gotta throw strikes in order for the ball to be hit the right field. And the one thing about Webby, even though his ball is moving all over the place, he consistently comes at hitters and he set the tone doing that.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, you know, we watched you manage your bullpen, which is a different bullpen right now than it has been for a chunk of this year. Yesterday. Do you have any big picture thoughts, not necessarily specifics on who's pitching what innings, but just big picture thoughts on this group going forward.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, it's it's kind of fresh faces and yet guys were familiar with. It's just it's a little bit unnerving and maybe something that you got to get used to of. You like to know what you're getting and what kind of rhythm a guy is in. Eric Miller is no longer with us and depending on what part of the year you look at. He was kind of a man of many, many faces this year, and I'm just using an example of you know, there was times where he was really rolling good for us, so we wanted him to throw the ninth inning. Some of these guys. You look at the status, you read the reports. You know, Brundy's given us all kinds of good insight from Sack every time a guy comes up, but you haven't really seen it with your own eyes, and you're trying to protect Webby's outing and you want to win the game. So it's tough. But at the same time, like I said, we do know these kids, and I think we've got what's capable down there. It's just about you know, upd ust sorting it out when we see a good matchup for them, and then they got to go out there and they got to attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, all right, well I'm more with the Giants manager right after this all right, back here with the Giants manager and Tony Game two of this series. Here we have a new face on the roster today and he's a guy that we don't know or I don't know, Eddie s Leonard, who is a hitter who joined the organization not that long ago, and here he is to make his big league debut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was actually with Justin Message, our pitching coach last year with Milwaukee. A couple other stops for him along the way, but it's been many stops in many cities that haven't involved a big League game, and so to kind of see all this through for him is pretty dang exciting. And also, you know, you can't, like I said, you read the reports, you get the feedback, Well, you don't have to see the home runs in person. You know, it's pretty impressive. His last four hits have been home runs. And then also impressive to see him be one of the first guys at the park and he immediately get out there with Wash to work on some infield stuff. He's a utility guy that can play all over. So it'll kind of add to the spice we had yesterday was youthful energy and you know, some new faces and opportunities a big word right now.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it is last couple of things here because we're running out of time. But brace Eldridge is not in the lineup for the second straight game. Thoughts on I know the thumb has been a little bit of an issue for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and probably this isn't the intent, but probably a good not reset, but a little bit of a time out for a guy that's been treated like a ten year vet because he's kind of made us do that with his behavior and his work ethic and how well he's played. But he is a twenty one year old that's in the midst of, you know, for the most part, his biggest chunk of a big league season, and so some time off, that think would be good. But also it only makes sense to heal up a hand a little bit when that's the tool you're using to swing the bat, or your hands or what's swinging the tool. So I think he'll be back in full action tomorrow. Yesterday we talked about maybe a pinchhit with the game on the line, but we ruled that out.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: I think it's reasonable to think he could pinchhit for us.
Speaker 1: And I did want before we let you go, I did want to ask about but Sab because he's made a great impression here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the ultimate blend of playing the game like a little leaguer, having fun out there, but also playing with the intent to win and having an intense confidence about himself. And that's really hard to do as a coach. You feel like you're asking guys to do two different things sometimes, but he's got a really good balance on how he goes about it. He's fun to watch and I'll tell you what, the guys in the locker room absolutely love him. I think he's brought out a little bit more personality out of everybody with his can't.
Speaker 1: Wait to watch him play some more and can't wait till tomorrow. Who knows what poetry you're gonna quote?
Speaker 2: Probably none, but you don't. You don't have to. I don't know if it's a poem. But you don't have to wait long to see Basabi because they'll be leading off tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, I love it. All right, that's Tony Vtella. We'll get you ready for the start of the game right after this