Speaker 1: Live from CAL Football Media Day at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley. This is Papa in Silver on the Sports Leaders.
Speaker 2: It is Tuesday, August fourth. We are here at California Memorial Stadium for Cal Football Media Day. One month from now in a day, it's going to be their opening kickoff against UCLA. And then a few days later we got opening kickoff down in the Southern Hemisphere on Netflix of all places. By the way, it'll be Niners Rams in Australia. Quite a bang to start off the season. Forty nine ers are off today after practice number six yesterday, and we had some more injuries that we noted to the wide receiver room. Mike Evans has a quad he did not practice. Dejon Shribbling continues to take it easy with that hamstring, and of course the big news over the weekend is that it became official after trending in that direction. Ricky Piersoll now done for the season. So with Deebo Samuel back, we're in number nineteen. All the more meaning this time to that reunion, Yeah, all.
Speaker 3: The more meaning. And we asked Derek Branch about it is Debo in the right position to be able to be you know, the most successful and sometimes you just have to throw that by the wayside. I mean, they just need them. They needed the body, They needed somebody that knows the system and can play the position. And so I mean we talked about the wide receiver room maybe being right up there in terms of talent going into training camp, if players were going to be healthy and the best version of themselves. I mean, have we reached have we reached shambles yet? I know we touched it and then maybe got away from it when they added Debo, But that's still when they at least had Mike Evans and Stribbling healthy. And it doesn't sound like either of these injuries are significant ones at this point. But and the forty nine ers are definitely gonna be careful considering that the history up and down the roster. But man, it's just the one saying that everybody's hoping is not the number one story has been the number one story, aside from the Kyle Shanahan accident there at the beginning of camp, it's been the injuries. Again.
Speaker 2: Well you can feel it too in the Bay Area when we're doing all these shows. People are rightfully really frustrated with the Giant season. People rightfully really disappointed by the Warriors offseason and lack of activity there. Everyone's just waiting for the forty nine ers. We're all excited for football to come back. We got to experience it being a training camp and it's like, Hey, I'd actually rather have August be a pretty dead month rather than having these headlines pop up. I'm not gonna go as far as shambles yet though it's August. I'm feeling that fall optimism before we really get into it. And because these injuries, particularly to Evans and Stribbling, don't seem to be anything consequential of significant cause and having them at risk for a week one or something, and for that reason, I'm not gonna go there yet, but it is giving you a little bit of heak into that window right there. It's cracked open as to, oh, wait a minute, if Christian Kirk's out, Mike Evans could be out, Dajon Stribbling could be out. Hey, Deebo, any chance you could uh rewind the clock back to twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna need you to be the number one wide receiver and Christian McCaffrey's backup because Kaylon Black was was banged up in addition to Jordan James and uh return kickoffs. So basically it's gonna be Deebo and McCaffrey as the wide receiver one and two and RB one and two just constantly interchanging roles and still trying to get George Kittle back and healthy into the mix. So can you, you know, can you debo? We know, we know you're in really good shape. Can you can you line up at tight end? Kidding? But I mean at this point it doesn't feel that that far off. So and you just look and it's it's all over the field, by the way, it's not just the wide receiver room in terms of of these injuries. It's you know, big big focus of training camp coming in is keeping Christian McCaffrey fresh and having the options to keep Christian McCaffrey fresh. And now you've got RB two and RB three both a little bit a little bit banged up. You look at you know, not having Kiddle obviously in the in the tight end room. I mean, Branch said, what seventeen defensive linemen on the ninety man roster and eight or healthy? Yep. At the end of the most recent practice it just I mean, it's everywhere and in a lot of ways the areas where the forty nine ers projected themselves to be the strongest, which is which is unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Now, if I am going to point to an area where people should be feeling more optimistic, it is August fourth.
Speaker 3: It's August fourth too.
Speaker 2: And it's also that a lot of the younger defensive players who we need to see a little bit more from in terms of stepping up their game good returns so far. And yes, to your point, it's August fourth. There's a ways to go. But JayR Brown, Diamere Lenoor, Ornardo Green Siegel have all had their moments and everyone seems to really feed off the energy that Raheem Morris is bringing in the building as the new DC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, and they will get their opportunities. And no, I would say in August fourth in terms of let's see how many of these guys are able to come back over the course of the next five weeks. In essence, there's still time. You don't need to be completely fretting about it. But I think everybody's got the PTSD from the year's past in terms of the injuries and just the impact that they've had. I mean, the thought coming into this year, again not to belabor it, Greg, was that the forty nine ers, like all that they had to deal with last year, well, it's got to be a better situation. And I think, I mean, to this point it probably still is a better situation because you haven't had the major ones other than the Ricky Piersoll injury to this point. But it just feels like, at what point are the forty nine ers going to have a little bit more injury luck, be a little bit on their side and you know, not have to have it be something. Look, all teams, all teams in some form of VASH have to overcome it, and all teams deal with it. And it's not just a forty nine or specific thing, but in the Bay, I mean, it is just compounded by the fact that a year in, year out, it just seems to be the number one issue right with this team is what could have been had so and so remained healthy. Well, there's two parts of it. Also.
Speaker 2: One is that we see that when injury luck is closer to the forty nine ers side than not, they generally have a really successful season. Right the two years that it was better than average, shall we say, and maybe you have a better way of were the two super Bowl years? Those are the two years they went to the Super Bowl when they were in the on the high end of the spectrum in terms of fewer injuries or fewer season ending injuries, fewer injuries to keep players. The two years that stand out in the entire Shanahan era were nineteen and twenty three. That's not even including all the late runs in a road playoff wins that got them to NFC championships. Then the other part of that is the they also haven't been able to capture that Lombardi Trophy. And I know we went through the comparison of teams in this era, right it's really I'd say the forty nine ers, Buffalo and Baltimore as the teams that are tortured by being continuously competitive, feeling like they've got a lot of stars, not able to get past the Kansas City Chiefs in most cases as the team that brings them down. And you can look at the Eagles and the Rams as others. But they also got.
Speaker 3: Their one that they did and that's the part that if the Niners had gotten there one you'd take a deep breath, I think, and say, all right, as at least all of what has happened, there was some kind of, you know, the ultimate end game at the forefront of it, but they haven't been, which only compounds the pressure year in, year out that comes into wanting to have this be the year where we're not looking up in the middle of January or the early to middle part of February and saying what could have been. And that's where the draft picks part comes back in to it, too, right, because it also compounds the pressure for hitting on your big draft picks. And I understand that every team you can look through and say, here was a high pick that didn't pan out, or here was one that actually you got pretty good value on. But the forty nine ers have had crazy ends of the spectrum where they have found future Hall of famers in the fifth round, they have their franchise quarterback with the last pick of the draft, and generally speaking they've struggled on a lot of picks in the higher rounds Day one or at times day two. I know Fred was a Day two, So whatever point being is now you're looking at, hey, here's another first round pick. We hope to make a big leap this year in availability, turns out he's not going to be even playing a snap this year, and that's Ricky Piersoll. So at some point you just wonder how much it can all be held together. And if you can't have players like a Ricky Piersoll playing or a Mikel Williams to start the season, then who are the ones that are going to be those pleasant surprises picking up some of that slack. Well, the one thing I would say that that should still give forty nine er fans some optimism is the fact that they were able to navigate last season at the level that they did, and that had been something that they had not really been able to do in the Kyle Shanahan era and even most recently in twenty twenty four when that year got completely away from him. Twenty twenty obviously you throw that one out a lot of injuries, COVID all of that eighteen was completely wrecked by the Jimmy Garoppolo injury Week three at Kansas City at Arrowhead, and so you look at it and it really has been the number one story. But last year was really the first year that they overcame a ton, maybe more than any other year. They were able to overcome and still be in a position where they could win twelve games and win a playoff game and have an opportunity to even go to Seattle and have a shot at possibly knocking off the Seahawks or maybe beating them in Week eighteen and not having to go to Seattle had they been able to do that. So the fact that and this is where I think, and we talked to Branch about the return of Kyle Shanahan and starting to make his presence felt I think more and more by the day at this point at forty nine ers camp, he really is. He really is the ace in the hole in terms of the ability. Like you feel like if you've got Kyle Shanahan's leadership, and you've got his ability to call plays, and you've got the culture that he's fostered with with John Lynch, then you've got a shot to overcome a significant level of adversity. And so I think, you know, yes, there was the favorable schedule last year, to the extent that it won't be this year. All of those things are in play. The Niners, I think, were in large part off the radar last year, which I think for them, given how on the radar they had been, was refreshing and they benefited from that in some ways, I think similarly to maybe the way the Warriors benefited from it in the Warriors twenty one to twenty two championship run, Like nobody was talking about them as a contender, and then all of a sudden, they're eighteen and two and they're forty one and thirteen, and they're in the in a spot where they are a contender before anybody really notices. So you know, they're not going to necessarily have those things working for them this year the forty nine ers, But I think really the leadership of Kyle Shanahan and the offense, and you know, the energy of a Raheem Morris, I think they're counting on to hold it all together.
Speaker 2: Well, there's two names above all else that if they're available, then the forty nine ers always have a chance. That's Christian McCaffrey, as was displayed last year, and that's Kyle Shanahan, who's also working his way back from the accident. So I want to play some sound coming back from John Middlecoff on the three and out podcast about just how valuable Kyle Shanahan is to this organization. He compares him to the likes of an NBA star. Let's unpack that, and then Susan Slusser at eleven fifty Pop and Silver with JD on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Let's get backed up, pop Ain's Let's get backed up Popey Silver from Memorial Stadium in Berkeley on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clearly it must be Tim running the board. That's the mistake of the day. Now, I'm just playing. We are out here in Berkeley, cal Football Media Day. We're gonna talk to Tash Lupoi and Sharon Kiave Sagapola Tela coming up in about an hour or two, an hour and a half, So stay tuned for that twelve thirty to one fifteen window. Really looking forward to an exciting young team up and coming, potentially uh proud members of the ACC in today's world of college football. I almost asked Christian McCaffrey about the demise of the PAC twelve and then I was like, h he's got other things to worry about.
Speaker 3: You gotta tell me though, And like is this right? Like that people picking him? I mean, what a what a prognosticators know. But but people are picking Cow to be twelve. Yeah, I don't buy it. I don't buy twelve.
Speaker 2: I think, like we can be looking at seven maybe.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe maybe higher.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at the schedule early on, they got a chance to get off to a very hot start. They're not Miami or SMU. Not saying that, but no, but I didn't really twelve. I was surprised to see that in doing my prep, like I was.
Speaker 3: I know, it's you know, first, your coach and a lot of a lot of young players that are that are coming in the recruiting all of that. Like you you you feel better. I guess about maybe the what the twenty seven or twenty eight cal team, then maybe you do about the twenty sixteen. But twelve, come.
Speaker 2: On, twelve transfer portals looking goods, receivers can tight ends.
Speaker 3: You can flip it in an instant. You can flip it in an instant.
Speaker 2: So h No, I don't buy number twelve, which was not Aaron Rodgers Cow number by the way, because that was retired.
Speaker 3: Although off, although I will say, I mean, did you see who was seventeen? Yeah? I did.
Speaker 2: I actually most of the rank. I saw it was Boston College the bottom. Don't tell, We'll tell John Lynch.
Speaker 3: Don't tell Todd Husa or Christian McCaffrey or Todd who's sick.
Speaker 2: Before we get back into any of that, I'll look at that. Right now is the time we'll take our winner. Caller number ten four one, five, eight, nine, six, five, six two seven. You'll win two tickets to see John Mellencamp at the Shoreline Amphitheater August twelfth, burnished by Live Nation. Find the official rules at the sports Leader dot com and good luck to everybody out there. If you don't win today, we gotta giveaway on the Short Show tomorrow with Day Baseball. We got one on Thursday and we got one on Friday. Let's hear that sound from John Middlecoff about Kyle Shanahan being an NBA star equivalent to the forty nine ers organization.
Speaker 3: Here's what he had to say on the Three and Out podcast.
Speaker 4: It's interesting with the forty nine ers is that Kyle is so respected that it sort of bulldozes any mistakes or missteps in his life.
Speaker 3: You're very close to the Niners.
Speaker 5: What are you forecast?
Speaker 3: Kyle Shanahan, is the most important guy in the organization.
Speaker 4: They went to Philly last year a playoff game without George Kittle, without Fred Warren, with down Nick Bosa. If they got Kyle Shanahan, they're gonna be okay. I think actually parallel might be a little Sean Payton and his dad. They are tough. Kyle to me, is the equivalent of like an NBA star. He's that important, like if you got.
Speaker 3: Jokic, your floor is still pretty high, or Lebron in his prime or Curry. That's what Kyle is. It's pretty rare. It doesn't really exist in the NFL.
Speaker 4: I think if they just had a notch below him, it could have unraveled multiple times.
Speaker 2: I agree with what middle Koff is saying that you don't really talk about that in the NFL. When it comes to a coach, usually it's a quarterback, it's a key defensive player on the edge. Head coach, and I know hasn't won at the Super Bowl. You could gripe about maybe some mismanagement late in games and fourth quarters. I understand all of that, but I'm also talking about the course of an entirety of a season and always giving you a chance Christian McCaffrey Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 3: To me, those are the two names. Those are the two names and have been able to in many ways hold this thing up in times where there's been some pretty adverse circumstances. I think the defense as well. I mean, the truly dominant defense that they had going back to twenty nine. I'm sorry, going back to twenty I'm going back to nineteen and twenty and twenty one. You know, the defense was on a different level twenty two. I think it started to fray really in twenty three and they didn't quite have enough maybe to get over the hump. Needed a little bit more offense in that twenty three season to offset the fact that the defense was was kind of falling apart on him in twenty three and then really did in twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's never just one individual. You could also point to Eddie Pinero helping save special teams last year, Mac Jones, Robert sla of course, but Kyle Shanahan being the guy that's always going to give you a chance, and last year to me really proved it. Not because of the amount of games they won, but you could look there at the end of the team and say the forty nine ers were a very good football team even with all of what they lost. You know how we know that because they do what good football teams do, which is beat up on bad teams, which they had a lot of on their scale. And then they also won a playoff game on the road. That's not counting for nothing. It wasn't just some odd juxtaposition of yeah, well, Seattle dominated them twice at the end of the year, and they never really looked comparable. It's a better competition, but they also beat up on the bad teams too. They have been, I mean, really Seattle the Seattle game, and they were they were clearly, as we talked to Trent Williams, just just out of gas right when it came to everything they put into the Philly game and the injuries and the run that they had to get on to get to that point where they were just going to be going to Philly and and missing out on the division championship in the final week of the season and all of that. They just ran out of gas against a team that was at that point in Seattle still ascending to what they ultimately had had become. But I think, I mean it truly. I mean you look at that that team. You know, Trent acknowledged the fact that they've won. They've won multiple playoff games every year up until this year, they've won multiple road playoff games like there has never been an instance and this is why I brought up Seattle. There's never been an instance when you throw that game, when if you take that one game out where the forty nine ers have been just completely unprepared in a playoff game, like there have been games that they haven't played well, even the Super Bowls. Right the Super Bowls, they were they were prepared to play at the beginning of the game and in both of those games to the point where they were able to have leads in both of those games. And again that doesn't always mean you're going to be ahead. We've seen them have to come back and be able to do it against Green Bay and the Lions in the in the twenty three season. But they they are always prepared to the point where you feel like they've they've got a shot to win every single big game. I really, I mean you can count. I mean how many games like Seattle have there even been in big spots in years where in years where it hasn't just been hey, this isn't a good football team twenty twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Getting into the post. I mean, I mean that's the one. I mean, that's the only one, real one. Even the bigger regular season games that have set up. GEM mean, you go to Seattle and you win in twenty nineteen, You've wanted Seattle a bunch over the year, just like you look at some of the games on the road against the Rams, like they're they're always prepared and held together even in the even in the biggest games. Well, remember last.
Speaker 2: Year in August when we were going through the different joint practices of preseason, and some of that was with the Chargers at the end, so we got into the conversation about Harbov versus Shanahan and the legacy as a head coach of the forty nine ers. Wildly different styles and personalities, but when you looked at the resume, it was awfully similar in terms of the heights they reached, coming so close, neither one able to quite capture the six Lombardy, some championship game heartbreaks as well. Generally very physical and competitive teams. And I remember saying at the time last year like, if Shanahan could get this team back into the playoffs and have another shot at being in that bubble, then that clears the winner for me. And then to do it in the fashion he did with losing Fred Warner, Nick Bosa, guys along the way, I think it's no question that he's definitely the best coach they've had since all the way to George Seaffert.
Speaker 3: I mean, just look at the length of time. I mean, yeah, it's just I mean, nobody's been able to be successful and mad I mean Harbaugh. I mean you think about it in terms of I mean, this is Kyle Shanahan's tenth season. As you said, I mean, Harbaugh lasted four and it was really cooked after three when it was all said and done, so different circumstances. The forty nine ers win Harbaugh took over, were ready to be good. They just needed to be more disciplined, better organized, figure out the quarterback like all those kinds of things. So they were much more a win now or be competitive now team than what Kyle Shanahan inherited going back to twenty seventeen, when I think he had the worst roster in the NFL and they were still trying to purge, and they were still trying to add their guys. So there was gonna be a two year you deconstruct to reconstruct.
Speaker 2: And that's credit to at York for finally showing patience after two consecutive one and done.
Speaker 3: But that were the wrong higher But I mean he's I mean, you said it. I mean even even George Seaffert was. I mean, Kyle Shannan's been around longer than him. Now to this point, I mean, you gotta go back. You go back to Bill Walsh at this point in terms of length of time and impact, no question.
Speaker 2: So we'll get more into the Niners maybe in the one o'clock hour. We got Susan Slusser coming up. Then we got some Cal football guests for you, and we can take this any direction we want because we're here in Berkeley and no one's gonna boss us around besides Josh right, Josh posts.
Speaker 3: This is Josh Shepherd's show. This is Josh Shepard show. And if you tell him otherwise, I might be going out the window here.
Speaker 2: You don't want to do that because it's a pretty high up here, have Memorial Stadium. What a beautiful day, the fog burned off quick Josh Shepard DGAF Now he doesn't neither do Susan Slusser, who's going to be joining us from Texas trade deadline talk? How did she handle the chaos? What do we make of the Giants next couple of months? She'll join us next on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Papa and Silver now continues live for the KNPR Casino Matrix for Aggressive Jackpots Studios Casino Matrix for Aggressive Jackpots are here?
Speaker 3: Where are you? Just drop in?
Speaker 1: Please play response one.
Speaker 2: Games, Greg Silver, John Dickinson here at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley. We'll be getting some of that college football talk coming your way in the noon hour. We're working on making the connection with Susan Slusser, who joins us at this time every Tuesday. While we wait for that connection to be made, I'll go with a reverse crap pack of starts, most scoreless starts of six plus innings for the Giants over the last six fifty years. Pardon me, logan Web last night passed both Jason Schmidt and Barry Zito by getting to number twenty three, the only three above him. Tim, Let's go in with forty mad bum thirty six, Matt Caine thirty four. So the Giants held onto their ace and trying to keep good company for franchise records.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's company. I mean I joke from time to time that that Web gets kind of thrown in with the Big three from the Championship era because of his makeup, right, and he he pitches like somebody that would have fit very easily on those those Championship core teams. And I sort of say it jokingly, but you look at at the the numbers that he's put up, and I mean he's he really has been terrific. I think because the team has not won as much during his tenure, it gets lost a little bit. But even in a year where you know, he struggled mightily at the beginning of the year and you know into March April, ended up on the injured list, in May, was terrific, in June, had a disappointing July. Like this has not been a great Logan Web year by any stretch.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, really it all happened in one month. But I feel like he's had three different seasons within the season.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, he was, like I said, he was bad till he was injured and by his own standard and admission, and then had the Great June ended up being an All Star, which I thought was stunning, Like that was that was big time like reputation, reputation, you know, with the fact that it was I think at the forefront that he had pitched so well in June and then it was really bad in July. Uh you know, but you look up at the overall numbers and it's like, damn, Logan Webs had a pretty good year. He's had a pretty good year, which which tells you how good the Great has actually been for those those stretches like June, and we'll see. I think primed. I think Logan Web to have a big time August and September finish here.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we talked about local Bay area media throwing the word rebuild out there and saying, I know the Giants don't ever want to sell that, but that's effectively what the trade deadline is. You and I broke that down. I wouldn't go that far as calling it a rebuild, but it wasn't aggressive retool and more so leaning.
Speaker 3: Into the Bryce Eldridge timeline. That's something we talked about yeah, although again I mean, it's funny you've said that, and I don't necessarily disagree with it about the Bryce Eldridge timeline. But then I start thinking, you know, you know, six years before free agency might turn into five, and this is going to be one, and maybe twenty seven is two, and now all of a sudden, you're you know, twenty eight, twenty nine to thirty, are the rules going to change? Like all of a sudden, it is still the Eldridge timeline, by shoot you for sure. But I started to sort of have those thoughts about how the landscape of Major League Baseball and the Collective Barting Agreement could potentially change and maybe alter those timelines, even with a star player that's still a rookie and trying to figure himself out. So I wonder, again, that doesn't mean it's necessarily going to change it to the negative, to where you're not necessarily going to be able to keep somebody. Maybe you are going to be more up to keep those guys longer term. But that timeline goes fast, even though it's just starting out, is the main point.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I wanted to read, and it was a snippet from Ankillian's article. She said, it's hard to sell seventy five dollars tickets, twenty two dollars beers, and twenty eight dollar crab sandwiches for the privilege of watching kids learn on the job and get bullied by the Diamondbacks. But that's what's happening this year with a veteran team. The Giants utter ineptitude forced them to change their long standing philosophy. Now harsh last line, but also fair and accurate. My I guess my point is I'm glad that Buster Posey was not living in some kind of alternate reality. He was very upfront about what the team was where it's like, yes, it's hard to sell we're gonna be a team that's gonna be in the dumps for a little bit.
Speaker 3: But guess what.
Speaker 2: You also tried to sell everyone on a team that was gonna win and compete this year and you got bullied by the Diamondbacks. Anyway, here's the way I would put it as it relates to next year, because we're talking about oh, the you know, rebuild, rebuild, rebuild, and again I think if you want to say rebuild, it's fair given the sheer raw number of prospects that they not only have in this year, but have already drafted here a month ago and brought in yesterday right or over the last two days. But here's where I think I stop short of rebuild. I'm looking at next year, like I just thinking out loud. Next year, Jung who Lee's on the team and starting, Willie Adamas is starting, Devers is starting. Like none of those guys scream rebuild. I will bet you that.
Speaker 3: There is a left fielder or a center fielder that is not currently on the roster that's a veteran that's a starter at least one of those two spots. Yeah, next year, So you go around the horn. You know, catcher, maybe they're young, but how much do you want to bet that the Giants in the offseason, after they look at all three of their young catchers here go, you know what, we need a veteran catching presence at some point. So and then even Logan Logan web still at the front of the rotation. Guess what, Adrian Houser's probably got a rotation spot at least.
Speaker 2: At the beginning of next year. And even he's a veteran, they might open for him. But he's going to take a lot of anything. He's a veteran. They're gonna, I think, probably look to sign multiple starting pitchers again that can help to fill out the rotation while they're waiting for the young guys to come up through the minor league system. So I think, and that's not even talking about the bullpen that needs to be completely redone. And I think you're, you know, in an eight man bullpen you're probably gonna have. I mean, I would guess it's probably gonna be five veterans and three young guys, maybe even six veterans and two young guys based on the way things currently look. So I say all that to say, when we get to twenty twenty seven and it's opening day, whenever that opening day is, I'm gonna bet you that the giants twenty six man roster looks a lot more veteran than it does that of a rebuilding team. But I guess my question would be, depending on who those vetsterans are that could come in, to what degree are they getting a lot of.
Speaker 3: Those starting reps? I think, well, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: I mean, so, like you know, you said veteran catcher, But is Daniel Sue's gonna be the opening day guy.
Speaker 3: By the veteran catcher is probably a backup. But but what I'm saying is you're gonna and Eldridge obviously is a young a young, but you're still gonna You're gonna be I think, veteran at second, veteran at short, veteran at third. I think you're gonna be probably veteran at the two open outfield spots at least one of them. I think you're gonna sign two pitching veterans in your rotator. Like it's this is gonna be a veteran laden team next year, Like they're gonna filter through the young guys that are keepers, but they're not gonna have a team that looks as young as this team is gonna look between now and the end of the regular season.
Speaker 2: And because of what they expect from the end of twenty twenty seven or maybe twenty twenty eight, with some of the prospects that they are developing and or just traded for, do you think that it's gonna be a lot more one year type of contracts and short term offseason stuff once this lockout stuff could settled.
Speaker 3: I think they'd probably prefer it to be shorter term deals. But at the same time, I don't know that they necessarily have the front office that that's proven to go get the guys on the on the shorter term deals like that was like you look at the short term deals that this regime's done, Howser Malley, short term deals that the prior regime did, Gosman Rodn like that, like those are those are Blake Snell as well, although that that one didn't work out and they probably should have moved on from them. So I think they'd like it to be. But are they going to be adept in finding those guys. I think it's going to be a big, big question because a lot of the appeal for the pitchers to come to the giants, the guys that were higher end but took those those deals with opt outs in short term was the fact that they really believed in the analytically driven pitching philosophy that was in play at that point in time. That doesn't necessarily exist now. So I think it's a nuanced conversation. But I think to your point that the giants would prefer that it's it's younger, I mean, shorter term deals.
Speaker 2: You're listening to K and B R and K ANDBR FM, San Francisco, the Sports Leader, a Cumulus Media station. As we hit the midpoint of our show, waiting on making the connection with Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. And while we wait to see if we're able to connect with her, let's hear from Buster Posey from his zoom yesterday, just on his message to fans as to what he's going to try to sell now that this deadline is coming gone.
Speaker 5: I guess the messages. We're not satisfied with the way that we've played this year, in the last few years, and we're trying everything we can to to continue to build a product that we can all be, you know, excited to come and watch. And that was really the goal. And this is can we even if we have to subtract a little bit now, can we potentially add some players that we think our fans are going to be excited about and hopefully wear a Giant's uniform for a long time.
Speaker 2: So pretty generic message there from Buster, But I would always go back to, well, the actions speak louder than the words, and that's why I brought up the whole timeline part of it of, yes, you understand the players you're still stuck with. I kind of alluded to the fact that, based on the players that Buster shipped off, I'm gonna guess that they were pretty open to moving on from maybe Devers, but certainly Chapman and a Damas Chapman got injured, Adamis probably didn't have any takers in that, so that wasn't going to stop him from still looking ahead to the future. As to look, what I tried in year one and two did not work as plan A. Now Buster Posey has a shot though through the draft, through the additions to the farm system, and yes, farm system, it's all a conceptual ranking. So even if they're a top ten or top five farm system and the next time they go through everything, that's still all conceptual. But I think a lot of people would say, hey, look, I haven't felt the Giants farm sat have this much potential since probably back in the late two thousands. And that's not to say it's going to lead to three World series. But if Buster Posey, maybe his legacy as PBO is ultimately the guy that can lead them through that next wave of development. I think they were open on as Buster said, like, I think they would have traded anybody had there been the right deal.
Speaker 3: Maybe with the exception of Logan Web. I think that's the one, And eventually I guess it got to the point with Jung Hulee, but I think they probably listened on Jung Hulee just to see what was out there. Hell, I think they listened on logan Web even though they didn't necessarily. I'm sure teams called them about logan Web and you know, I know, I think it was Andy Baggerley was on with the Morning Guys, and you know, logan Web would have netted more than the schoobl trade, like when you look at what the Tigers are able to get for Schoobl. Again, I'm not going down the road of should I promise today is going to be the last day of this because he's on the team and you can't make a move. And maybe we revisited in the offseason. But I'm sure teams called and the Giants listened, but they just didn't have the appetite to be able to do it. But I think if if somebody really wanted to do a deal realistically for any of the big contract guys, I think the Giants would have would have been ready to do it.
Speaker 2: I think we got the text of the day from six to six nine, says Susan. Slusser is another one like John Lynch, Todd Hughes, sat Christian McCaffrey that you talk with or refrain from talking about the demise of the PAC twelve.
Speaker 3: I think I know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Susan might have gotten wind of our location and then boycott the hit, which honestly.
Speaker 3: I think i'd respect. Yeah, she heard me ask who's seventeenth in the in the preseason ACC College Football Poll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she She's like, oh god, they're gonna hear bash Stanford. We got this background right now.
Speaker 3: I didn't say I didn't mention anybody by name.
Speaker 2: Oh let me tell you some of these former PAC twelve and now ACC fans. I'll include people in this building too. Everyone gets sensitive, all right. People get protective over their schools, and as the Beach Boys once said, beat true to your school once again.
Speaker 3: I respect it. Eh, Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna stand down on business there well. Susan also probably exhausted from a lot of the chaos that she was dealing with in real time. You know, I shared the note yesterday that from John Shay, Elliot Ramos has a locker here, and then Evan Weebeck put out there that everyone was smiling at Elliott Ramos and he's like, why are you so happy? And they're like, you're still here, and he just points to his wrist and goes, there's still time. There was, in fact still tell and apparently they needed a whole new locker room for all the extra guys that were kind of waiting to see if they were going to be on the roster come come, post trade deadline, a lot of guys on the taxi scoring. Although the Giants I believe played with twenty five last night, they didn't. They didn't quite have the ability to get everybody up and activated it on the scene there in Arlington, So they played a man short, but it didn't matter because Logan Webb and Junghu Lee carried the freight. How much of these final what forty nine games now now are you going to be watching for in terms of Tony Vitello and management as a whole, Because yes, I understand that the roster got worse for the rest of the season. Then you would also hear people say, well, Wait a minute, isn't this what he theoretically would have been hired for, as we brought up many times, a team that's more apt to be in kind of a rebuilt stage. And you know Andy Baggerly also you talked about him on the Hit with the Morning Show. He wrote in depth about how he felt like this managing staff between Vitello and the pitching coaches, have not done a great job managing the bullpen, and even just cited the example of how come when you're winning sixteen three, you're putting Keaton went out there in the ninth when overuse was an issue that caused him to go to the IL in the first place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are a lot of things, and I don't think in the last forty nine games that Tony Vitello has much to gain, to be perfectly honest, like, I don't think there's anything that really can happen between now and the end of the year, barring some kind of weird miracle turnaround right where there's going to be anything to tangibly look at and be like, oh, he's he's doing this well compared to where it was earlier in the season. I think you and I might battle on that a little bit at times when we talk about the Giants, But but for me, it's it just they're just there. Aren't going to be things now that are going to stand out unless they just start winning at a really high level. And now we may and I'm not saying you, but I think people may want to do the thing where it's where it's like, oh, well, you know, he had a younger team to manage, and if they somehow have a better record over the last forty nine games, better winning percentage than they have over the first one hundred and ten, then maybe that will we'll have some sort of attached meaning to it. I'm not really going to do that. I don't think there's a lot that he can lose on the day to day management portion either. To me, it's all about how does the clubhouse and the veterans that are still going to be in the clubhouse next year that we talked about, how do they feel about the way this season has gone and the way the job that Tony's done and the coaching staff that they put together, and what are the stories that come out, are their stories that come out toward the end of the year about what a bleep show. Maybe it actually was that we don't know to be true at this stage. To me, it's all about that, and I don't think there's anything that he can do that's where you're gonna say, oh, Wow, he was awesome at this or that, or he was terrible at this or that to a greater extent, I'm still looking for and I don't think we're going to get the answer this year. Greg. I'm still looking for the one thing that he's brought to the table that's made a meaningful difference in a positive way. I don't think, like I said, there's been a lot of dramatic negatives. There have been some tactical issues that have been discussed to where maybe he wasn't in the best position to succeed, but equally has not handled them well. First year manager type stuff that doesn't jive with trying to be a team that's contending for a playoff spot, and it's a big part of the reason why they haven't in addition to the way this roster was built. So I don't know that that's kind of long winded way of where I am with it. I don't think there's much to gain, but equally not tactically as much to lose, but some of that ancillary stuff that maybe is built up through the through the season could be where it could lose out.
Speaker 2: No, that's interesting because I've kind of written down very limited stock in the final forty nine games. If these young guys have great stretches or Junghu Lee continues to hit really well, okay, it's not going to lead to a playoff appearance unless they went out right something absolutely insane. So yeah, I'm not focused too much on Hey, they played so well for a stretcher, maybe they're gonna sweep a It's not any about that, I guess for me, it was more in the thought of is there a lot more to lose where there could be discussions of hey, maybe this is not gonna be a relationship that goes beyond one year. And I don't believe they're going to fire him. I've never been in that camp. But with Vitello, the narrative all along this season has been, well, he's been dealt a really bad hand and it's hard to manage a bullpen when you don't really have a bullpen, and I think that's all completely fair. But looking at the final stretch, here. I don't want to just go into every single game, every single series and say, well, it doesn't really matter, like there's nothing for him to learn in the final stretch, Like yeah, there's not much the game, but also there's nothing to lose. It's like, no, I'm not saying he needs to find that one thing to bring to the table where you say this is the guy. I also don't think that he gets a free pass, nor any of the staff on the home stretch just because the roster got worse. There are things that I'm sure he will learn and has learned over the course of the season and will continue to I just don't know that those things are gonna be tangible. I don't know that those things are going to be noticeable, you know, as to you can point to it. I think again, some may look at certain performances and attach him to that between now and the end of the year, especially if it differs from maybe the way that they were functioning in the first four months of the year. But I don't necessarily think that that would be an accurate representation either way. All right, Well, maybe we'll catch up with Susan Slusser a bit later on in the show. Maybe not, Maybe she's doing the rightful boycott here as we are in Berkeley at California Memorial Stadium. And again, if that's the case from a Stanford alum, I kind of respect it. Who doesn't love a good rivalry out here in the Bay. We will continue some of these topics and then coming up at twelve thirty, Tash Lupoy is going to join the show, So start getting those ACC rankings back, those preseason rankings, and we can start warming up some of those topics a month and a day away from kickoff right here in this building, and it's going to be the old school Pac twelve after dark because the UCLA Bruins are coming into town. It's pop it and silver with JD only here on these Sports Leader