Speaker 1: Giants Rangers. This road trip continues and actually concludes today. It's the final game of the series, last game of the trip. Dave Fleming alongside the Giants manager Tony Vittel. I know what the end result last night was disappointing. There were a lot of things you talked about after the game that were positives from last night. I wanted to ask you about Blade Tidwell because we saw him as a starter in the big leagues for the first time this year. Last night, I thought there were a lot of positives with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he gave you, you know what I would deem a quality start, and that's you know, at least get to the fifth inning or through the fifth inning, manage the game in such a way that we still have a good opportunity to win. And it wasn't off to a great start, but I think the fact he was challenged and able to kind of hold things together was reminiscent of Whizz's first two outings. Both of his were great, but they weren't without adversity, and I think that's where you really get to see a guy able to handle himself. A big out was two outs, guy gets a base hit, and then he goes three to one on the nine hole hitter. You got Jack Peterson standing there wait on deck and he was able to get strike too and then ultimately get out of that inning. We were talking in the dugout. That's just kind of a glimpse of what you have to be in order to be a winning starter is navigate through the lineup and also navigate through some situations to where stuff doesn't pile up on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. I was just talking with Blade before you and I are chatting, and he was telling me about his change up and aways tried to tinker with you know, he was experimenting sort of with a split change. Now he's back to his old grip, and I think that it will be a difference maker for him ultimately, because we saw Seger have some good swings, like another weapon against left handed hitters that could maybe put him over the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. And I mean some of the pitches Seeger smoked foul were pitches that you either have to take or you're probably going to hit a foul if you swing it. But at times there was also hard contact from him and Nemo where Blade kind of cut the ball into lefties a little bit. The more he can do to kind of keep pitches fading away, and then when he goes in it's in with intent or it's on purpose or part of the game plan. I think the more he opens up doors to be effective against those guys just as much as he is against righties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So since you mentioned wiz Carson, wizen Hunt gets the ball today, and every start for him is important as he tries to establish himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, the last two haven't gone exactly the way that he wants, but he's had two big time starts for us this year, so I think this one will be interesting just to see kind of where is he at, and it can be kind of a punchback start for him where he goes out there with a little extra determination. And I think something too behind the scenes going on is just him not trying to do too much. I think the first two opportunities were one and done's and he kind of knew that. And you know, as advantageous as that is to go back and forth between here and Sack, it does make the outing kind of simple. It's like, hey, I get one crack at this, I'm gonna enjoy it. And then when you get to where you're probably gonna be in the rotation for a while, the mind can start to spin a little bit, and what do I have to do to lock this down and stay here and do this year? And really, I think, going back to his roots of his first outing in Atlanta, just here's my day, here's my opportunity. I'm going to attack it. I'm gonna be who I am and not try and do too much. And I think at the end of the day, if he does that, it'll be another quality start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very interesting insights. So we'll watch Wizz and Hunt pitch today. We'll have more with the Giants manager right after this back here in Texas with Tony Vitello and we wrap up this road trip. It's nice to see Bryce Eldridge back in there. I know he's been fighting it and it's not just been even the last couple of days. It's been lingering for a while. He had a great at vat last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we talked in the Hitters meeting earlier this morning about what a great job our guys did on LATS and it was three lefties in a row doing it against them and Bryce had the key hit and he did it in dramatic fashion coming off the bench. It was really our last crack at doing something, and it speaks to what type of mentality he has. I think he's got baseball toughness. I tease him, he never played basketball as tall as he is and he was not a foot that's you know, banging helmets around and that type of intensity or toughness. But I think he has true baseball toughness. And that's one of many moments where it kind of shine through. And then no matter how tough you are, when you're using your hands to hit and your hands are you know, you know one of your hands is banged up, you're not gonna be at your best. So hopefully a little bit of a refresher the last couple of days and he's back to being who he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, one thing about the reality of this roster right now, with so many guys heard and a couple guys traded away, is it feels like you are gonna use your bench a lot more now going forward. We saw it last night. You were pushing a lot of buttons during the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the one thing we take confidence in today is the bench is probably gonna be active. Sussak is a great weapon against left handed pitching. I know he's carried the load the last two days, but I think he's fresh enough he can help us. Gilbert, you hate not having him in the lineup. He simply needs to prove he can do what he did last night, be good against left handed pitching. But we can put him in for a lot of different reasons today. And then Costs is such a weapon, you know, defensively, and I think he's starting to figure out third base. It is so different timing wise over there. He said yesterday was the best he's felt he can help us with a bunch hit and run run off the bench. So I think it'll be another active day for us, and I think we're excited about what we can do if this is a tight game, which I'm kind of expecting it will be.
Speaker 1: And as a final thought, maybe Basabe'll just keep hitting a home run every day.
Speaker 2: I'm all for it. I'm all for it. And you know, I think with where he's at today, it's interesting. You always want to protect Devers a little bit, and I think right now Basabi's such a wild card for the opponent. You got to kind of pick your poison a little bit there. But more than anything, it's good to have his smile, his energy, and his intensity in the lineup. I think it's it helps us because of what he can do. But he really does kind of have a almost kind of a unique or strange, infectious personality that kind of bleeds into the other guy's play a little bit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big time, really fun to watch him play these days. That's the Giants manager. Will get you ready for the game right after this