Speaker 1: The Giants.
Speaker 2: Though, on Saturday, in the afternoon before the four point fifteen game, we'll be putting a number of players on the Wall of Fame, including our next guest, Pablo Sandoval, three time World Series Champion, twenty twelve World Series MVP. He's back in town the Kung Fu Pandam. He's with us on the UMA guest Line to talk a little bit about the weekend ahead.
Speaker 1: Pablo, how are you hi?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: Doing my friend doing the packing all my stuff my family to head to the airport to get to San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Oh man, we're so excited that you're coming to town. And you know, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I was reading your story.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously we know all about you because you were here and what a great career you had here. But I was reading the story, Pablo, about when you were a kid, how you.
Speaker 1: Used to practice baseball in.
Speaker 2: An empty two car garage with Michael, your brother who played in the I think the Twins organization. Can do you remember those days of the two of you guys as little guys playing baseball in the garage.
Speaker 5: So I do remember, man, just about back back back then when you know when that uh, when we join young guys joined our life doing.
Speaker 4: A lot of things in the in the garage.
Speaker 5: And play bowl with the rum stick and and baseball.
Speaker 4: We we sucks.
Speaker 1: That is awesome. That is awesome. Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it safe to say you know that a couple X giants art were your heroes as a kid. I mean you grew up in Venezuela. How much was omarvs. Scale and Andres Galarraga? How much were they important to you as as like maybe you're young, your idols as a youngster, I mean a lot.
Speaker 4: For me, you know, especially Undressed.
Speaker 6: This big cat, the big cabin is one of my mother guys that I always look at because the big guy, how he handled those two things playing.
Speaker 4: First base and Omar Omar. I want to want to play short style because Omar. So you know, it's one of the things.
Speaker 5: That you know, I've got the opportunity to share time we Omar when.
Speaker 4: I when I got the call ou to Big Blizabeth, you know we we address is.
Speaker 5: You know, had a couple I had an opportunity in the war baseball class.
Speaker 4: He had a hitting coach, learned a lot from him.
Speaker 1: Hey do you still play in the winter in Venezuela? And and how.
Speaker 2: Long will you if you are you still playing? And and and how long do you plan on playing?
Speaker 4: No, no, I'm not playing.
Speaker 5: I take a time to spend time with my family, you know, guy, give me the opportunity to.
Speaker 4: Share times with my kids and my family.
Speaker 5: And you know, I just enjoying the time I had a new new babies six the six months and and and enjoying their time hasad being a dat.
Speaker 2: So now is this kid number five for you? Or number six? Space six?
Speaker 1: Wow? Wow? That well?
Speaker 2: Congratulations? And you're what you're living in Miami? You're down in Miami now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I live in my Yes, I'm Miami now.
Speaker 1: Well, man, we're excited to hear you. Giants.
Speaker 2: Fans obviously are so excited that you'll be back this weekend. I got to ask you about, you know, Game one of the twenty twelve World Series, Pablo, you're one of four players to hit three bombs in a World Series game. You're on a list with Babe Ruth, Albert poolholes in, Reggie Jackson, Mister October, what was your recollections of that night against Verlander at Oracle Park?
Speaker 1: What a special night that was?
Speaker 5: What is so special that you know that they you know, the three Homers and you know everything the Bride of Science that So you know, I got opportunity to have a great teammates.
Speaker 4: I have great support from my teammates.
Speaker 5: So if it if I don't have that, we don't get to that, I don't get the opportunity to play in the Words series. Well, you know, my teammates do everything to make the nine special for me.
Speaker 2: You you were a guy that you could hit a ball off your you know, off the ground, and you could hit a ball around your eyes.
Speaker 1: Where did that come from? That?
Speaker 2: That gigantic you know, you have the ability to hit any pitch. Really, you're the ultimate bad ball hitter, almost like a Vladdie Guerrero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the time we play in UH and the garage.
Speaker 5: As we we survives out there, we learn how to hale double.
Speaker 2: Now you're you were a switch hitter, but I didn't realize you also could throw with both hands.
Speaker 1: You're almost borderline ambidextrous as a player, weren't.
Speaker 5: You, Nobama. I made myself right handed, so I was born and lefty. My grandpa want me to play more positions. So was the opportunity to play more position be right handed, so he made me throw balls every day back then, and if I don't hit the chest, I had to do a small lap in the gash.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 2: You know, when you were here, one of your teammates, Berry Zito, gave you the Moniker, the nickname the kung Fu Panda. Do you remember Zito calling you that for the first time and did you like it the first time you heard it?
Speaker 4: Yes, I did. I remember Barry and Rachel. Really, I was the guy who name I was and san Hele player at the play.
Speaker 5: Then you hit the ball, I got opportunity to go and score and play at.
Speaker 4: The play, I jump over the catcher. That's when I started the new name.
Speaker 5: And you know, I realized that what's men young guy, shobby.
Speaker 3: Guy that no one doesn't know, and he can do a lot of things.
Speaker 1: You know. The Giants fans loved you.
Speaker 2: The relationship was incredible, and then of course you signed the big money deal to go to Boston and it didn't work out, but you came back and Giants fans embraced you again and you had two great stints with the Giants. Did when you look at that Boston foray? Obviously it was good for your bank account. But if you could do that again, would you have would you have stayed or would you have still have gone to Boston?
Speaker 5: Batayls Ulla always gonna say I was made a business day and uh, you know that's the thing that I always stuck too with my wife.
Speaker 4: If back then, then I'm not going nowhere.
Speaker 2: You're going into the Wall of Fame this weekend with some of your teammates, Pablo Bust, your Panic, Crawford Belt.
Speaker 1: You got a word about those guys.
Speaker 2: I mean you guys won three three World Series titles ten, twelve, and fourteen, some very special teams there. Uh, do you have any any anecdotes or stories or anything, any recollections of of your your your your, your, your teammates that are going into the Wall.
Speaker 1: Of Fame with you this weekend?
Speaker 4: Man, Like I said, with those guys, the guys going on to the World fame.
Speaker 5: If you can see it as first base, second base, shortstop, third base on the cashier, the main core of the of the Diamonds.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, the organization do a great job, give the opportunity to a young guys to get to a big leason and you know those five years we got Gray Dynasty and Gray Group.
Speaker 5: And it's not about the fives is going last year they made they pull the fight, the four guys, the four booping.
Speaker 4: So it's everyone in that group and those years that we have.
Speaker 5: And you know what's what's a great time to spend with them, and you know, do a lot of teams and I'm not happy for them and for for this because there's no every day you guys gonna gonna be in a wall of fame for a team. So you know that's mean they do a great job and we do a lot of things for the team.
Speaker 1: Probably a couple of ass before we let you go.
Speaker 2: Boach is among like a bunch of guys are showing up, a lot of ex giants, Jeremy Affelt, Santiago Casilla, some of the old school guys, Chilie Davis, Uh, you know, Sean Dunston, Dave Draveki, the hack Man. There's gonna be a lot of Dave Righetti. There's gonna be a lot of giants coming to town for this very exciting you always had, Uh, you seem like a great relationship with Boach and yet Boach made some some tough decisions and they weren't always favorable for you, but you guys, maintained a great relationship. How did you maintain that relationship through some adversity and some some some tough times.
Speaker 5: You know, one of the things that from Bush is it comes to you tell you the things, the things that you don't want to hurt. It straight on your face. And you respect that because that's the thing you want from your manager. And it's one of the things his favorly doing it. And you know, Bush for me was a mental as a dad. I don't want to play. I want to play to make that happy. So you know, made that happy. And and that's one of the things. And every time that I got on the field, where when he put me what position, he.
Speaker 4: Told me first?
Speaker 5: Can we first said third? I played a couple of times. Second when I pay, And you know I always gonna do with love and impassion because he teached me how to do those things.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Twenty ten, I was part of the team. But in the playoffs he made a decision he want to win, and I respect that.
Speaker 4: And we got a couple.
Speaker 5: A little talk and the man and two thous and ten and you and I always said it is and I tell him, one of these days is gonna come back, and you know, I want to make it happen. And you know soon later twenty twelves can and you know I pull all the Word together to wait for that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean, you make a good point.
Speaker 2: He went to Fontineau in the twenty ten World Series, and I'm sure that didn't sit well with you. But you didn't go south. You didn't quit, you didn't pack it in, you didn't pout about it. You just worked and you were a key cog on those twelve and fourteen teams. Like the lasting image we have of fourteen is the uh Sally Perez pop fly landing in your glove.
Speaker 1: Take us back to that, Take us back to that moment.
Speaker 2: Man, how cool was that to catch the final out of the twenty fourteen World Series?
Speaker 4: All that release, that release about it?
Speaker 5: He goes, you know those games tense and you know you got you just just you know you you your body is gonna feel released after you made the last hour of the of.
Speaker 4: That Word series, because if you see that series, almost every series we went to the last game. It was always we went to almost the last game. And you know, mentally, I was tired and and you know when when that ball asked Gregor and centerfield, I'm like, no, this can't happen.
Speaker 5: And you know, I just I just want to make sure when the ball come to me, just catch and you know, make sure that I got my.
Speaker 1: Gloves exact put that thing away.
Speaker 2: How amazing was bum Gardner's performance in your mind that night?
Speaker 4: Unbelievable? It is that not only all playoff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really.
Speaker 4: During the season. You know, he went straight out. He don't remind me too.
Speaker 2: And to Recito, Hey, Pablo, last one for you, man, I was just gonna say, I know you were finished there.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say last one for you before we let you go.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate your time and and we're excited that you're coming to town Saturday night. You somebody said to me once, man, you don't work baseball. You play baseball. But there's a lot of stress in the game. There's a lot of stress involved. You're facing your stats on the scoreboard and.
Speaker 1: The fans and the expectations. But you kept it loose and played the game.
Speaker 2: And there was like kind of this infectious joy about the way you played the game.
Speaker 1: Where did that come from. Where did that joy of playing the game come from?
Speaker 4: My dad teach me when one thing when I watch the young kid, and I always keep it with me. What's how they call the game game of baseball? It's a game as a key? How you play the.
Speaker 7: Game enjoying it? So why I know it's your work, it's you your career, But why you don't play that game enjoying it. You're gonna have good days and bad days. Well, guess what if you got three hundred at bath you got a hundred hits? How are you hitting?
Speaker 4: It's not how they m the time you sell is how the time you want to keep company and enjoying the time you're gonna play.
Speaker 1: You played the game at a high level and we really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: And Giants fans are going to be out there celebrating you guys on Saturday before the game.
Speaker 1: Pablo safe travels.
Speaker 2: Congrats on the new one, by the way, and we're excited to see you and Belt and Crawford and Panic and Posey and.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Soak it all in and enjoy Saturday. Thanks for jumping on KMBR. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: Thank you, man, I appreciate it.