Speaker 1: And we continue at one five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, mister Randy Wlggs in Culver City.
Speaker 2: Well, John, we have a new poll out in the governor's race. Now this is an internal Besserah pole, so take that for what it's worth. But this poll shows that Javier Bacheriea is tied for first place with Steve Hilton at nineteen percent, followed by Bianco and Styre tied at fourteen percent, Porter at eight may And at seven, Viragos at two, and Tony Thurmond at one percent.
Speaker 3: Scrub it. What do you know?
Speaker 2: A Bserah pole shows Besara doing well. Now here's the thing that's funny. They also, again, take this poll for what it's worth, they looked at favorability ratings among all the other candidates, and John, can you guess which candidate among all of them has the highest unfavorable rating? Now, this is Democrat and Republican.
Speaker 1: Now, in a deep blue state like California, in theory, it should be both Republicans. However, because Katie Porter slammed dunked a plate full of mashed potatoes on Dad's head and Tom Steyer is in our face every time the game goes to a commercial, my guest would be those two are at the top.
Speaker 3: Of the list Winter Winter Chicken Dinner.
Speaker 2: Katie Porter has the highest unfavorable rating, followed closely by Tom Steyer, and then a few below that is Chad Bianco. But yes, the top two vote getters when it comes to people that they don't like is Katie Porter and Tom Steyer.
Speaker 4: I'm pulling in to the bakery.
Speaker 1: Now, did they pull likely California voters or did they pull former Katie Porter students. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. He is a Republican candidate for governor, former host on the Fox News Channel. You can follow him on exit Steve Hilton X. Steve Hilton, welcome.
Speaker 5: Well, it's great to be with you, John, especially now you clearly have your finger on the pulse. You accurately predicted the two most unpopular in the state Porter and Steyer. Who would have guessed. It's amazing, isn't it. He spent one hundred and forty million dollars in order to be the most unpopular catt at It's incredible.
Speaker 1: There is a thing as oversaturation where you can't do it too much. And I think Meg Whitman did that back when she ran for governor. I think Alchecki did that when he ran for governor. I think Rick Russo did that when he ran for mayor. And I think that Tom Steyer is repeating that this cycle.
Speaker 5: Do you think that he'll get the message and stop or he's got nothing else. It's interesting, isn't it, because he's not quite there yet. You know, in some of the polls he's in the top two, and others he's not. This falling back now back area surging as they say, I don't know what do you do if you're Tom's stye I mean, look, my view has always been I don't care who the Democrats sent to run against me. We're sick of them. They've completely failed. We got the highest cost of living in the country, all the other issues we know about, and the time for change argument, even the time for balance argument, is just going to be incredibly strong whoever they send.
Speaker 1: So Randy and I were in the audience last night in Claremont at Pomona College for the debate, and a couple of things popped into our heads after watching the debate, and I'm curious to see what you think about them. First and foremost, it was shocking. It was shocking to both of us for the first time seeing Tom Dyer in person, how old he looked, and how sickly he looked. He looked like someone who just escaped from the old folks home. Especially we're in a suit in those sneakers. I was kind of surprised because in his ads they portray him as this guy who swearing right and left.
Speaker 3: He's this ass kicker.
Speaker 1: He's going to go to Washington, DC and tell Donald Trump what for, and he's going to bring socialized medicine to California, something that Gavin Newsom couldn't do. He's going to give the teachers union everything they want. And then you see him in person, and the framing of him as a candidate that the ad makers portrayed and the person who walked onto that stage in the same room as us, it was like night and day, like two different people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to me, I totally agree. That was exactly my first resht. I mean I've seen him up close. I guess I'm not as surprised now because I've seen him quite a few times. Because apart from these TV debates, we do a number of these forums that don't get anything like the attention that they're mostly not televised, And I remember thinking exactly the same, He's like some grumpy old man. You mean, John, You don't think that the sneakers make him look like a cool kid with the kind of hip vibe he's going for. He just looks ridiculous. I agree with you.
Speaker 1: The other thing that kind of surprised me was how unimpressive Javier Besserra was for a guy who is surging in the polls, for a guy who I think the Democratic establishment is kicking tires on getting behind. Last night, he seemed unsure of himself. He said things that were not only fact checked by the other candidates, but by the moderators of the debate. He wanted to do things that were patently illegal. As someone who is the attorney general of the state of California, you'd think he would be aware of that.
Speaker 3: He seemed not to be aware of it.
Speaker 1: This is in line with how he performed in the last debate where he kept confusing I ran for Iraq and a whole bunch of other things. He seems like that Joe Biden in the race.
Speaker 5: To me, it's so funny you should say that. I was just thinking about that last night and thinking, that's who does this guy really, what does he really represent? What's he all about? And that's exactly what he's literally the Biden of this race. That's exactly what I thought last night, just total career politician, doesn't believe in anything, does what he's told by the unions, by the activist, by the machine. In that sense, he's the perfect candidate for them because he's exactly the puppet that they've been looking for that they just put him in there and he'll deliver whatever they want.
Speaker 1: He's running to be the figurehead of the coalition in the same lane that Kamala Harris ran in, that Joe Biden ran in, that Karen bass in Los Angeles ran in. And I just can't imagine, given how awful her numbers are and how badly Kamala Harris lost, and how Joe Biden was pushed out of the election, that there's any appetite at all for that.
Speaker 5: I agree with that. I mean, if the basic argument in this election is going to come down to, are you happy with the way things are going in California? Do you want another four years of one party rule or do you think it's time for change. There's no one that represents more of the same more than him. I mean, he's just absolutely the Democrat machine turned into human form, just like Biden was, just like all those people you mentioned. That's exactly right. Machine politicians will just do whatever the especially in California. Of course, the Unions won, and so I don't know. I mean everyone always asks me who would you rather face? There used to be Stire or Porter, and before Swolwell dropped out, and now of course Bessa is in the mix. I really can't decide, because, in their different ways, each of them is so deeply flawed.
Speaker 1: I thought Matt Mahan, the mayor of San Jose, had a good night last night, and I thought he had a good night in the first two. The problem I see with him is that he's put his poll in a pond with no.
Speaker 3: Fish in it.
Speaker 1: He is appealing to people who hate Donald Trump, but who believe that the state of California does an awful job delivering services. And I just don't think there are any Democrats out There are many Democrats out there who feel that way. He's selling peanut butter without jelly, and I just see them buying into the whole thing or not buying into it at all. Because the Democrats I know who are fed up with how the state of California has been run, They're not happy with Pelosi, They're not happy with Hakim Jeffries. They weren't happy with Joe Biden either, And it seems like he's trying to thread the needle in this way that's too cool for school, and I just don't see any appetite at all in the Democratic Party for the product that he's trying to sell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, And I said that right from the beginning. By the way, I felt the same way about Rick Caruso, who's obviously backing Mayhan. And really the only the only reason Mayhan is in the race is because Caruso decided not to run, and then almost overnight, all of the money that was lined up to support Rick Caruso in the belief that what this state needs is a moderate Democrat, as they describe it, and it all switched to mayhan and he's had a huge amount of money. I mean he's spending not not quite stire money, but you know, a lot. And he's still on single digits. Four, five, six, seven. I think seven is high for him. And he's not going anywhere because remember it's a Democrat, it's a primary election. The people who tend to vote in a primary are the most you know, the party loyalists. They don't want what mayhansney. You're completely right. I always thought there was no lane for him in the top two system, and just as there wasn't for Rick Caruso, which is I guess why Rick Caruso didn't run, amongst other reasons. But I think what Mayhanon's done, it's going to be for Sarah Stile. Maybe still. Katie Porter, I thought she did all right last night.
Speaker 1: Honestly, well, during some of the commercial breaks she walked up to you and I believe Matt Mahan as well, and she was talking to you during the commercial break.
Speaker 3: What was it that she had to say?
Speaker 5: Well, she was complaining a lot about the format. So the thing about her was that she basically she was not going to be in last night's debate until the very last minute. She waited for Ages to confirm, and then she said she wasn't coming, and then she changed her mind. As she was saying, she was complaining about the format and the way they structured it. So we were chatting about that. Look, the truth is that we you know, we've seen each other a lot on these on these occasions, and on a personal level, actually get on pretty well. Obviously totally disagree on policy and politics. But I think that it's interesting. I just look at these three that are in the top tier for the Democrats, and I really could see any of them making it. And I don't know, we've got to. I mean, the ballots go out next week. I mean, the election is basically here. One other thing that's very important to bear in mind, and this poll from the Bessarah's team, you know, illustrates that today is that we can't take for granted that as a fact that I'll be in the top two. Obviously I'm leading in all of the polls, and my lead is growing, but you know, you could even see the way that that because you've still got Chad in the race, you know, polling lower, but taking you know, a big chunk of Republican votes, you could end up with two Democrats if we're not careful. So I do think we need to face up to that on the Republican side and really make a clear decision that we've got to have a Republican in the top two. If we don't, it's a disaster for California. There'll be no chance of change. It's a disaster for all the down ballot races, even for voter ID And so we've got to wake up and get serious. And so I'm very strongly saying to everyone, Look, it's pretty clear now who's the leading Republican, leading in the polls, leading on fundraising, endorsed by President Trump. Let's get together as a party and make this happen.
Speaker 1: I disagree because when you look at the poll particularly put out by the California Democratic Party, they still have a Democrat lockout on the November ballot as a distinct possibility. They wouldn't be putting that poll out if they didn't have their hair on fire worried about a Democratic lockout, because, let's face it, if it's you and Chad Bianco on the November ballot, not only does that mean that there will be a Republican governor. It means good luck getting any Democratic voters to turn out or to get ginned up about the election, which means the Republicans have a much better shot hanging onto that isis seat in San Diego and Riverside County, that seat that's being contested by both parties in the Central Valley, the Valadeo seat, and certainly the Kevin Kyley seat in Northern California. I mean, if that were to happen, that could determine not only who is in the next governor of California, but who's in charge of the Congress in Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 1: And I think that they see that as being the worst case scenario for the California Democratic Party, as they should, but they certainly still see that as a distinct possibility.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, of course that would be an incredible outcome, But for all the reasons you give, couldn't agree more. It's just very difficult to see how we engineer that, especially considering how much money they've got on their side to muck about with the with the system to meet their goals. I mean, look what, that's why Katie Porters so angry with them all, because they really took her out in order for Adam Schiff in the Senate race to make sure that he faced Steve Garvey. And so my view has always been that if there's any real possibility of the two Republicans being in the top two, they would spend a ton of money to stop that from happening. The machine, you know, the Union money and so on, and so I don't know. I just think that trying to get to that outcome might actually mean that we end up with no Republican. But in the end, it's very difficult for us to affect this other than for both me and Chad to do what we're doing, which is to campaign hard and get our message out. Then that's what I'm doing, and I guess that's what he's doing, and we'll see how it goes. But I do worry that we might end up with two Democrats if we're not careful.
Speaker 1: Last night's debate was different from the first debate and other forums that you have participated in with Chad Bianco in the sense that you two really didn't mix it up together. He got into it with Tony Thurman, the state Superintendent of Public Instruction. Those two mixed it up a few different times. He certainly went at it with the moderators, went at it with Katie Order at various points in time, but you and him certainly never were.
Speaker 3: At each other's throats.
Speaker 1: The callers, we had callers call in the first hour react to the debate last night, and it's quite interesting to me because typically when you have a contested primary, people who support one candidate hate the other. If you support candidate B, you hate candidate A. And it seems like the people who say they're going to vote for Bianco still have a really good impression of you. The people who are voting for you still have a pretty good impression of Bianco. Was the decision to not go at it with each other last night something that you walked into that building knowing would happen, or did it just happen that way organically?
Speaker 5: A bit of both, honestly, John, I mean, I feel like we've got to in a forum like that and or an event like that where it's a statewide TV audience. It's not just Republicans, it's not just Democrats. It's really important that we just make who's responsible for this mess. It's not the Republican has nothing to do with Republicans. It's the Democrats and both of us in different ways. And you know, you don't get unlimited time. You have a certain amount of time, and so you've got to use it to make the points that are most important. And the most important point is that we're desperate for change in California. You've got to hold the Democrats accountable, and we need a new direction. And the fact is that Chad and I do agree on the direction for sure. On most policy areas, we're completely in agreement. There's a couple of exceptions. We've talked about that before, and immigration is probably really the only significant issue where we don't actually agree, and our disagreement is really on you know, who's best able to deliver that and so on, and we don't need to get into that now. But in terms of the argument, the argument is you cannot have another four years of Democrat one party rule. And I think that both of us, you know, we didn't we certainly didn't discuss it or in any way talk about our respective strategies, but I think we both understand that it's our responsibility as leaders for the Republican Party in this situation to pin the blame where it lies, which is with Democrats.
Speaker 1: What did you make of the format last night and the moderators?
Speaker 5: Ah, I mean it was way too over engineered. I look, I liked this debate more than the last one. I thought the last one was very bloodless and two micromanaged and everyone just delivering their lines. And in fact, the last one it was, you know, we're all in a tiny little studio right next to each other. It just felt very restricted in every way. This one was much looser. I think there was more energy to it, and I liked that. But I thought the structure, with all these different sections and the fact that you know, you're not everyone to answer the same question, it meant just weird. And I think that there was way too much. You know, I'm made too much speaking by the motivators.
Speaker 1: Frankly Steve Hilton, Republican candidate for governor here in the state of California, the man who was pulling first and just about every recent poll. You can follow him on x at Steve Hilton X. Steve, thanks so much for stopping by. Well chat again real soon.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Joe. Great to be with you.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Charlotte and Woodland Hills. Charlotte. Hello, Hi, how are you good?
Speaker 7: Yeah? So I'm just my comments about the debate last night. I definitely thought Hilton was the best. I thought that Matt Mahon was the second best. I thought he was actually pretty good looking from the TV. I know you said he looks better in person. I think he's too skinny. But I thought he was pretty good looking, which surprised me because I didn't notice that before. I thought, but Sarah was mean spirited, which I was surprised because I never thought that until last night. He made some comment. He made a couple of snide remarks, and I think one of them was to Helton about his dad, but he was really talking about Trump apparently, So I wasn't impressed with that. I thought, I think stier, he just tries too hard, he jumps around, he's not likable, he talks too much, and Katie Porter is just not likable. And Bianco came off was angry and mean, you know. So that was kind of my take on it.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you for the call.
Speaker 1: If you went to weigh in on last night's debate, give us a call at eight hundred two two two five two two two eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't Like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com and Randy if you missed yesterday's show or the first hour of today's show where we analyzed last night's debate which we attended in person, and the City at Claremont.
Speaker 3: That's easy to do.
Speaker 2: All you you gotta do is search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts, whether it's the Apple podcast app, iHeart Spotify, search for the John Phillip Show, hit subscribe. You can download all the episodes. You can do a Google on the YouTube. You can get the free KABC app or the free KSFO app. You can get the KMJ now app because we're on that station Saturdays at noon. There are so many different ways to listen live to this noon to three show whenever you want, and make sure you're down all the podcasts, including a crime blodder story from yesterday that involved two different seven eleven's getting robbed in La.
Speaker 3: If they catch ship's dummy, If.
Speaker 1: You were a way in on last night's debate. Give us a call at eight hundred two two two five two two two one eight hundred two two two five two two two. Let's beget with John and Santa Clara.
Speaker 3: John. Hello, Hi, Hi John.
Speaker 8: I want to thank you for your analysis of the governor's race. I agree with your strategym for Sheriff Biankell and mister Hilton winning the top two primary. I'm a little bit more than a little worried that they are mad candidacy. We'll get a lot of independent voters that might have gone to our candidates and will reduce all percentage of the vote overall, so it won't be an impressive going into the fall.
Speaker 1: I think that you're right to be worried about that. However, I assume that in primaries, more than anything, what you're going to have is you're going to have Republican voters voting for Republican candidates, Democratic voters voting for Democratic candidates. They're really and I know people will disagree with this, but just trust me on this.
Speaker 3: I'm right.
Speaker 1: There are very few truly independent people out there. There are very few people out there with no ideology or no personal politics, and they vote based on who's the most down the middle or whatever what you have declined the state voters or no party preference voters, or you have people who are usually relying, liable Republican voters or reliable Democrat voters, but they can't self identify with the party for one reason or another. You could have someone who thinks the Democratic Party is not far left enough, for example. Or you may have someone who is a Republican but doesn't believe in the Republican position on abortion, and so they don't register as a Republican, but they vote that way and that's their own little personal protest. You have a lot of that going on, but these people typically vote in very predictable ways. There are independents who vote Republican almost every time they cast a ballot, Democrat independent voters who vote Democrat almost every time they cast a ballot. That's very common in politics. I would imagine that Mayhan being on the ballot, all things being equal, hurts the Democrats more than he hurts the Republicans, because the primary population of people that he's going to draw from are Democrats who would vote for a Democrat for governor or independents who would vote for a Democrat for governor, and all of those people voting for him hurts the California Democratic Party at this point.
Speaker 8: Another thing John is he keeps on dragging that he himself built thousands of houses in the last year or two that he's been mayor. But that's pure boloney. It's the free enterprise system that builds these houses, not the politicos. Plus, Santase is not really a big city city. It's really a collection of suburbs. So you know, the idea about the crime rate. We're a unique city, and then we have a small downtown in about five parts that could really be separate suburb cities, you know. So I just wanted to get that in on or too, that he's a lot of hot air and I'm just worried about the margin of the vote.
Speaker 1: Well, who knows, maybe he did build homes. He could have played monopoly with his family the last time it reigned.
Speaker 5: Oh no money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks for the call, Sarah, we appreciate it. Let's go to John and Hollis here. John, Hello, Yes, hi.
Speaker 6: Hi there, I was calling.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 6: I actually had two things I wanted to give you, and one is my personal opinion of the debate last night. It was it was a dumpster fire. There was because there was so many people on stage, they attempted to cover too many subjects, and none of the candidates got really a good chance to respond to anything. And you also had a situation where even Chad Bianco made a point of it when he said I thought I was invisible up here or something like that. But you didn't hear from Steve Hilton or Bianco very much at all. And the other thing I wanted to say was I kind of agree with Steve Hilton. I don't think there is enough Republicans in California that if you try and split the vote, you're going to end up with them going below somebody like Steve Hilton, and then you're going to you're gonna definitely end up with a Democrat lockout. I just think we ought to get behind one pit one candidate, in my opinion, that Steve Hilton, and then hope for the best.
Speaker 3: Well here's the way I see it.
Speaker 1: If you are looking at the ballot as a Republican and the goal is to get a Republican governor, and you really don't have much of a preference, or it doesn't bother you either way, if it's Hilton or Bianco. To my eye, the play is still to go for a Democrat lockout in November, because if you get a Republican versus Democrat matchup in November, you have about less than one percent chance of winning. There are things that can happen where the Republican candidate can win. The Democrat could get caught up in a scandal. I mean, imagine if Eric Swalwell was the Democratic nominee and the stories of alleged rape didn't come out until after the primary was over. Well, the Democrats would be in a heap of trouble that certainly would put them in a bind and in a position where Republican could win the race. But a Republican candidate would need that sort of an event to happen to have a realistic shot of winning. The last time a Republican came close to winning was Lonnie Chen when he ran for controller some years ago, and he got within I think single digits. But that was him doing exceptionally well, getting all the newspaper endorsements, having the win. That is back and he's still lost by I think I don't know, seven or eight points. If you're the Republican party and you have a let's say one in five chance of winning, if you go for two Republicans, well that twenty percent chance of winning is much better than the one percent chance you would have if it's a Republican versus a Democrat. And I like to play cards. I like to play poker, I like to play video poker. I like to play blackjack. Sometimes you make moves that you would otherwise not want to make, that you do because at least you could win something. You may have two to a royal flush or three to a royal flush, but you have money in the bank with you know, a pair or three of a kind or whatever.
Speaker 3: You go with the sure thing.
Speaker 1: You go with the hand that is most likely to produce a win, because if you go for the once in a lifetime one percent chance less than one percent chance, the odds are you're going to end up with nothing. And if Republicans end up with nothing this time around, and we have four more years of some disastrous democratic leaders one party rule in this state, the state is going to go down the tubes even further. I mean there are a lot of people out there who think that we've already hit rock bottom. I don't think we've come close to hitting rock bottom. I think it can get much much worse. And if you put Katie Porter in charge, or Tom Steyer in charge, or Javier Bisra in charge, it is going to get worse because all of them are destructive people, and some of them aren't even really that bright. Basarah, I'm looking at you, and so for my vote, I'm going to try to go for the strategic play, which is to give the Republicans the best shot, the greatest chances of winning the governorship. All things being equal, it's unlikely to occur. I think the odds are definitely against us. But whatever the percentages are, it's better than one percent. And that's why I'm going to do it that way.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, then I just thought i'd two.
Speaker 3: Then all right, thank you for the golfer. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Vivian in Berkeley. Vivian, Hello, Hi.
Speaker 9: My choice is the Uncle because I feel that he's the most honest and we have absolutely need change. And I live in Berkeley, and I have firsthand knowledge of just insanity, and I used to be I can't believe it. I used to My favorite station was KPFA, and I sponsored them even and throughout the years it was I think it's it's the climate change agenda that got me, because I really believe that climate change is all these crazy things they want to do in order to control us, and all of a sudden, we don't really care about pollution. All we care about is carbon, which is not a pollutant anyway. That be that as it may. But that was my first thing, and I've been gradually going more towards just mainly just like you could say I have Democrat derangement syndrome because I've had this such an experience with this. But anyway, the reason I agree with you that it's best to get two Republicans in there, and my preferences for Bianco, but I really do like him. You know, people say, oh, he comes off angry. Well, you know, like they used to say, bar Belize Bird speaks for me. Well, Bianco speaks for me because I am really angry and I want to stop to the nonsense. And he's the one that really I feel I could do it, but I kind of agree that he might not make it. But the worst is stire. If we get Styre in there, we're going to be going full bore into the climate change agenda, which is very destructive.
Speaker 1: Are you there, I'm here. Thank you for the call. I appreciate your comments, and thanks for listening. All right, Randy, let's dip into some sound from last night's big gubernatorial debate.
Speaker 2: And the first moment where things started to get out of control was when the question was about cuts to healthcare in California.
Speaker 4: Now to another issue important to Californian's and mister Mayhan, you brought this up. We're talking about gas prices. They're the highest in the name.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe this was gas prices first, you know, you know what it was, gas prices. Then we get into healthcare. Let's start with gat Now I'm moving on, where's the healthcare one?
Speaker 4: California more affordable Again, as far as healthcare.
Speaker 10: Is concerned, healthcare is a right for every Californian and long term, the only way we can afford that is a single payer healthcare system.
Speaker 3: How are you going to pay for that?
Speaker 1: That would bankrupt the state in ways that it's that bankrupting us by a little bit, it's bankrupting us by a lot, and his plan to get us there is to hire smart people to figure it out. Well, Gavin newsom ran on socialized medicine too, and then they showed him the books and he goes, oh, I really can't do that, can't I a lot? And now Tom Steyer thinks he's going to step in and figure out how to put the Rubik's cube together with the pot of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow being Canadian style healthcare, a lot.
Speaker 10: That will take at least three years to get if we start on day one, and in the interim, we're going to have a shih the way.
Speaker 2: I've heard him give the same answer in interviews, he sounded so tired last night.
Speaker 1: He sounded tired, and it sounds like he doesn't even have a basic understanding as to how any of this actually works.
Speaker 2: I don't think he needs to. I think he's a billionaire, and I think he has consultants telling him how great he is, and he's buying into their bs.
Speaker 10: A lot that will take at least three years to get if we start on day one, and in the interim, we're going to have a structural shortfall because of the fact that Donald Trump has kicked three million people off medical On day one, I will call a special election to close a corporate real estate tax loophole worth twenty two billion dollars to the state of California every year.
Speaker 2: That's the thing he wants to do at Prop thirteen, the split Role, which by the way, the voters had an opportunity to vote on that back in twenty twenty and they rejected it.
Speaker 1: And keep in mind, look at the framing here. Most California voters love Prop thirteen, even many Democrats, because in a state that's so expended to live in, it allows us to stay here. Because you look at property taxes in other states. Look at Texas, look at New York. Property taxes are through the roof. If you eliminate Prop thirteen, property taxes in California will look very similar to Texas and New York, which would make the state totally unaffordable for a lot of people. But instead of saying I'm going to attack Prop thirteen head on, how does he frame it.
Speaker 3: I'm going after a loophole.
Speaker 10: So that we can close that budget shortfall. The truth is, no one else on this.
Speaker 2: Stage you could close the state's budget shortfall with just the money that you were spending on this campaign.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if he actually goes through with socialized medicine, whatever he says, it's going to cost you better double that because he believes in open borders, and he believes in healthcare for illegal aliens, which means half of Guatemala is going to get the same healthcare as you because he's going to kick you off your ppo to pay for it.
Speaker 10: The truth is, no one else on this stage wants to talk about revenue because we're short of revenue as a result of that bill in the Congress last year.
Speaker 2: California's budget is bigger than it ever has been before this year. It's at three hundred and fifty billion dollars a year. And you're going to tell me it's a revenue problem. We actually brought in so much money last year that Prop ninety eight kicked in and we to send even more money to the no good schools.
Speaker 3: With declining enrollment.
Speaker 2: And I think we got to get rid of Prop ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 10: And it's absolutely difficult if we believe that healthcare is a right, did in fact we have the revenue.
Speaker 3: There's that bell nobody was paying attention to the bell.
Speaker 1: No, no one cared about the easy bake oven.
Speaker 10: Did in fact, we have the revenue. Is single payer?
Speaker 3: Is this only way we saw?
Speaker 4: I'm going to go to miss supporter because you also believe in single payer?
Speaker 3: Yes? Correct?
Speaker 11: I mean, look, single payer delivers the most healthcare at the lowest administrative costs. I was a champion for single payer at the federal level because Medicare spends about two percent of everything that we put into it on administrative Here's a.
Speaker 1: Question that I have for her, and I have the same question for Tom Steyer. Is socialized medicine is the bee's knees? Why is it that all of the people means in England or Canada, when something really bad happens to them, they fly to the Mayo Clinic to get treated there. Why is it that that happens? If socialized medicine is so great, why is it that they come here for treatment when it hits the fan? And the answer is healthcare is a commodity where there's not an infinite supply and you have to ration it based on one of two things. You can ration it based on cost, where people who can afford it get quicker, better treatment, or you can ration it based on lines where everyone has to wait in a line, like it's Space Mountain at Disneyland in the middle of July. And when you ration it based on lines, and you really need a procedure done otherwise something really bad is going to happen to you. So sorry. This is socialized medicine. This is the way it works. You better cross your fingers and help you don't die of cost.
Speaker 11: And private health insurance spends seventeen or eighteen percent on pushing paper into nine claims and telling you no and who you can and can't go see as a doctor. So that's the change we have to get. We have to get much more administratively efficient with our healthcare. With regard to Donald Trump's cuts, we have to make sure we're protecting our hospitals.
Speaker 2: Try not even listening to pat Are you no, she just ran or right?
Speaker 11: We have to make sure we're protecting our hospitals. Twenty five percent of our hospitals in California are projected to close because of those cuts, and those hospitals provide sixty percent of care for car accidents, heart attacks, strokes, and other trauma mister Bianco.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll tell you what mister Bianco had to say about this after the news. It's the John Phillips Show and we have one more hour to go. Don't you go anywhere