Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Externing Postgame Show with Bill laskiam delighted to bring a friend on. He pitched fifteen years in Major League Baseball. In nineteen sixty eight, he was on the World Series team with the Detroit Tigers. He's also the American League Fire of the Year in nineteen seventy three, and he was also inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. My good friend, John Hiller, how are you John?
Speaker 2: Okay, Billy? Good morning?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how are you doing? Everything good in Michigan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now. We got rid of some of that smoke here a few days ago, but yeah, it's everything's nice and peaceful. Quiet. You know, I've your listeners. Most of them are familiar, I think, with the up the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. So I'm five hundred miles from Detroit right now.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, you grew up in Toronto, Canada, and right now there's about thirty players that were born in Canada. Tell me a little bit about the British Columbia and how they draft players and more scouts now are up in Canada.
Speaker 2: Well, when I like, boy who go back when I was playing, I think Fergie Jenkins was the only other Canadian at the time playing. There might have been a couple more, but they didn't really have scouts that often. I mean, my coach was a Bob Werner and he was playing a little bit in the Indians with their team way back, and he stayed in Toronto, and we had a team that we go out on Friday nights. And he put a word into the fellow named Sy Williams out of Buffalo, and Si came up and watched me pitch one game. It happened to be the first time there was lights at our ballpark, and he couldn't find the park and then he saw the lights and I happened to strike out twenty two guys in seven innings in that game.
Speaker 1: I guess they shine you immediately after that, Josh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sign that allowed me to get a great bonus of a pair of spikes. Honestly, goodness, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, growing up in Toronto, it was just like me growing up in Ohio. The springs were very cold. It was very difficult to play on hard ground and freezing temperatures. How did you play in spring baseball up in Toronto?
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't you know as a kid, you don't know, right, I mean up here, up here in the up they're out there almost when the snow is still in the ground. Here is trying to get baseball season going. So we didn't notice. And I was a frustrated hockey player. I wanted to play so badly and I was not very good, and just a bunch of my chums they got together and said let's go play. And we didn't have Little League or Babe Ruth Kawanas ran most of our little league stuff. But and we didn't have any uniforms. We had a hat and a shirt and you know, it's just we went out and played baseball. And I just was very fortunate that I could throw strikes, and you know, at a young age, and that was probably caught the eye of a few people because I didn't walk any batters hardly. Ever.
Speaker 1: John Hiller joined me on the Exter Earning postgame show. Of course you came up as a starting pitcher. We didn't really have bullpins and closers back in the day. Everybody wanted to go nine innings and that was one of the things that you just said. You struck out twenty two guys. Being a starting pitcher at that time, that's what you wanted to be in the big leagues, and you ended up coming to the big leagues in nineteen sixty five at twenty two years old. Tell me a little bit about the minor leagues and then getting that jump to the big leagues.
Speaker 2: John, Yeah, that was probably a shock to me. I was in Double A ball at the time, and you know, they tried you. As you know, they called people up in September, and I went up in September that year in nineteen sixty five. My first batter was Gene Freeze and I struck them out. That's about all I remember about that game, and I didn't I don't think I pitched a whole lot. Charlie Dressen was a manager. I don't even think he knew my name. He always whistled. He called me hate kid. So you know, we did what we wanted we could. Of course, like you mentioned, everybody wanted to be a starter. But you know, we had four good starters in sixty seven sixty eight, Denny McClain, Mickey Lolitz, Joe Sparma, and Earl Wilson and Pat Dobson was my roommate and him being right handed, me being left so we'd fill in on Sunday doubleheaders or if somebody got injured, and if there was predominantly right handers, he would pitch, and vice versa for me if there was left handers. So, as you mentioned, I don't even know if I got a half a dozen saves in the sixties, they just didn't Danny McClain talk with him, I guess the other day. He was known to tell a manager to get back to the bench. I'min in his games, and Mickey lolich, my stuff didn't look very good if I came in after Mickey. So Mickey completed, you know, twenty some odd games every year. Also, it's three hundred plus innings. So our role was a spot starter, long man, middleman, sometimes short man. But we just did what we were asked, especially as a rookie in the first few years.
Speaker 1: Well, John, you just said it. Four man pitching staff, four man starting staff. They completed most of the games. When you talk about Denny McClain twenty eight complete games in nineteen sixty eight. But you also had a big part in that. Nineteen sixty eight you were nine and six and thirty nine games, twelve started, thirteen completed to have finished, and you ended up throwing one hundred and twenty eight innings. Really a solid year and a couple saves, but you were more or less that middle guy to go to with Pat Dobson as the closer. But was it the bullpen used that much back then?
Speaker 2: Well, on occasion, and we had Fred Lasher who a submarine pitched submarine pitcher and he threw pretty hard from down under. Darryl Patterson probably was the hardest thrower in the team. He came in on occasion to shut down somebody, so he just, you know, it's hard to explain. I was happy to be there, you know, young kid out of Canada, and all of a sudden you're in Tiger Stadium and looking at thirty thousand people, you know, and I was just dawstruck. So we all did what was asketavius and you know, the saves didn't come until actually after my heart problem and I came back and Billy Martin was a manager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well that's sixty eight World Series. What a competition that was against the Saint Louis Cardinals and again with Bob Gibson being on the Hill against Denny McClain. But it really came down to Mickey Lolitch being the MVP of that series. What did you think about going into that series and then you guys were down. You had to come back and win that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we came close in sixty seven. We were just lost by a game, I believe or game and a half and Boston, I won't say, snuck in. We had a doubleheader against the Angels and we needed to win three for a tie and four for to win it. We just split with them. So I know, we knew we had a great team, and sixty eight was really an amazing because of how many times I think it was forty times we came back after the seventh inning to win ball games. So you know, that excites fans, it excites the city, excites the ballplayers. And be able to do that. I think we realized going into the Saint Louis World Series that on paper, they had probably a better team I shouldn't say probably, they had a better team than us as far as reputation, and they were coming off a World Series win the year before, and they had Bob Gibson and they had a lot of great players, So I don't know, we just knew we came from behind all year long, and I don't think we ever gave up. It's hard to think back and say exactly what was on our mind when we were down three to one, but there was always a little hope, you know, we always always looked at him when I coached. It was just it was one game. We weren't down, you know, three to one. We were just one day, one game down today, and then if we won that, we were in that one game down tomorrow, and just approach it that way. If we thought we had to win three or four in a row, that wasn't gonna work. So, you know, we had some great breaks, a couple of things that maybe Saint Louis wouldn't have done other times, and Willie Morton made that great throw to turn that whole game around, and then we should have known we were gonna win it when Mickey Lolitch had his only major league home run in the World Series. So we should have figured right there. Hey, we got this.
Speaker 1: John Hiller joining me on the extra postgame show. Of course, he was a member of that nineteen sixty eight World Series championship with the Detroit Tigers. Bill Freehan, one of the best catchers that ever wore a Tiger uniform. Tell me a little bit about your battery mate, and what did he make so confident with you when he came out to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Billy was just you know, he was very intelligent on and off the field. He was he had a baseball smarts. He I don't know. He must have caught ninety percent of the games. And honestly, I don't remember hardly ever shaking him off. I just went out there. He knew what I had, and he knew the hitters. I tried not to get too smart on the mound. A few times I shoot people off. He didn't work so but Billy, you know, unlike what you see today more, Bill sat right in the middle of the plate. He put his glove right in the middle of the plate. And John Say was our pitching coach, and he always said, you know, aim for the middle. You're gonna have a little movement on the ball and it might hit a corn. And you know I could when I came back, I came back with a really good change up A fellow named John GRODZIGGI actually out of the Saint Louis system back then. I think taught me this change up and that turned my whole career around. And Bill Freehan I he would just put down one finger or two fingers fastball curve. He never asked for the change up, and I could change up on my own and he could handle it. He just it's amazing that I didn't mess him up. He'd put down one and I could throw a change up, and I think that made that change up so much more effective because I wasn't out there shaking my head half the time. He should be in a Hall of Fame. Bill, He just eleven time All Star, great great catcher, good hitter, not great great hitter, not great power, but he did the job. And being out there every day and doing what he did with Danny McClain and Mickey Lolich and handling the young player, there's he should be there.
Speaker 1: Well. John I was fortunate to have you as a pitching coach one year when we were in Toledo together. But I remember some of the conversations we had about Johnny Sayin about attacking the hitters, going after him, getting first pitch strikes, using the breaking ball as your secondary pitches. What did you learn from him on the physical side, and then what did you learn from him from the mental side, because he was a guy that kind of pushed you at times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the physical side, he worked with me. I you know, I ended up with a uh you know, I could throw strikes and for some reason I couldn't make the ball sink. So he said, well, just throw cross seamers, and event I don't know why this happened, but my fastball would jump into a right hander. It was almost it didn't have the spin of a cutter, but it had the action of a cutter. And you know, I was throwing ninety ninety one. I guess Bill Freehand figured that's what it was. And so I wasn't overpowering, but that little bit a movement And Johnny saying always believed number one movement and number two location. He said, you know, if you make a bad location pitch and it's got a little movement, chances are he's not going to square it up. So that's what he preached. And psychologically he you know, he knew every picture. He got to know them personally, got to know their mentality, and he was just after a ballgame he had a bad ballgame. He'd just come by you and he'd say, well, you know, how's the family, how's everything else. We'll get him tomorrow. So, I mean, he'd been there, you know, many many times, and so he understood the philosophy I guess of the picture and the mind of a picture mindset, and you know, there was a lot of I remember playing and I'm not to knock Billy Martin because he got me back in the game. And I always thought on the field he was one of the better managers. But Billy had a thing. If you messed up for Billy, he'd go way around your locker the next day. He didn't want to look at you. He took all of that pretty personal. But I think that's just the fact that he wanted to win so badly he just to hate it to lose.
Speaker 1: Well, John, you had some health issues in nineteen seventy one when you were twenty seven years old, and you came back in seventy two. But boy, in nineteen seventy three, everything clicked. Sixty five games, sixty finished, thirty eight saves. Everything was right back in. John Hiller on the mound one point four to four earn run average. You talked about bringing that change up and another pitch in your arsenal that really worked for you coming out of the bullpen. How did you feel that year and everything was consistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I you know, it's hard to explain. There was no reason in the world. Really I was before that, I tigre very average major league pitcher, and then all of a sudden when I came back and said two we had two closers in the bullpen, Fred Sherman and oh Chuck Selboxer, I think that's what it was. And they both had some injuries, minor injuries, so I was pushed in right away. After my second game, I was a closer. So then going into seventy three, all I can figure is I was in the best shape of my life after the heart attack. And maybe your listeners, I'll go back a bit. Listeners would be a little bit maybe interested in this fact that we didn't go we didn't have rehab back then. Now, Bill, you know, you being a pitcher, you think about this. It was a year and a half that I didn't face a batter, and physical wise, I went from two hundred pounds down to one fifty. Had some infection after my surgery and then I would build myself back. And I joined the team about one sixty five, and all I did I was sort of a pitching coach and bring train and for my first manager, w Overmeyer, and I threw bat in practice to the hitters. That was the extent of my pitching. And all of a sudden, after I got clearance from practically President Johnson's cardiologists that I was able to go back and pitch, all of a sudden, I sign a contract. I go into a ballgame in Chicago, pitch three and then don't walk anybody. And then two days later I'm the closer. And so I don't know, you know, whether it's providence or whatever, somebody looking up for me. There was no reason, with my ability and such to go in there and save seventy three games and then finish with seventeen wins and seventy four.
Speaker 1: Phenomenal year. John That was just a phenomenal year, especially all the heartache you had trying to get back in the game. Your doctors are saying there's no way you're going to get back, and you kept pushing yourself, and you did a lot of that by yourself. How was it at times when you were sitting there all alone wondering if you were going to get back in a big leagues. That had to be a lot of mental stright stress for you.
Speaker 2: Probably in a way good year and a half because of I was working and I had a motive to do things other than that really bad I was. They had signed me, I said, like her a pitching coach. So I'm in Florida and I'm making seventy five hundred dollars a year, and that's nineteen seventy one, I mean, my goodness, seventy two, and so I'm sending whatever page I could have got back to the family. I had two kids at the time and a pregnant wife, and she had to move in with her family up in Minnesota, and I didn't. I didn't have a place to live in Florida. They put me in actually Billy Martin in the clubhouse, and that was so crawling with cockroaches that they finally put me into the minor league complex gave me a little room there, and I didn't. I saved by we got five dollars bill on the road, and so I would split that between two fifty at home and two fifty on the road because I sent my paycheck back and so I was living on two fifty a day back then, eating big bowls and porridge in the more oatmeal allid pordge in Canada, and I just sitting there and knowing at night, and my motivation was I had a family and I had to feed, take care of and hopefully have a future. And that was a motivation along with just give me a chance to get back and if I can't get any.
Speaker 1: Too, right, John, you had to get healthy, you had to get that mark back in shape, you had to get your legs back in shape. And the motivation was there for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that part was you know, that part started right shortly after my heart attack. I remember in in the Loop there was a YMCA I went to work out. It was thirty five laps to a mile. It was a track indoors went around the top of the gym, and I hated to run long distance. I just hated. I took two laps and fell down on my face. My legs are so bad. And I would get behind some runner and squint my eyes and just pixing myself in the mound. And that said, and they all did the other workout, started playing racquetball, which really helped. And you know, it took me six months and eight months and I just got in the best shape of my life. It's a shame I had to have a heart attack for a wake up call, because I was a bit of a lazy ball player back in the day.
Speaker 1: John Hiller joined me on the Extra Y postgame show. Tell me your thoughts when you got back on that hill, when you got back in Tiger Stadium, when you were back in the big leagues, everything that happened before that time, all like you said, run in laps, playing racquetball, believing that she could be back in a big leagues. How motivated were you when you walked on that hill back in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: Well, that first game in Chicago, I was scared to death. Uh what was nice? The Chicago fans gave me a standing ovation. Uh so they pretty You know, baseball fans are sports fans. They know the history of their players and what's going on in the world. So my first batter was Dick Allen, and he's standing there. Threw a fastball, he didn't offer at it. I threw a breaking ball, he didn't offer at it, and It was almost like he looked at me and he said, okay, young fellow, that's what you got to bring one of them, and he hit one. It's the hardest ball I ever had hit off me, other than my teammate Willie Harton later when he went to Seattle. But he almost cleared the fence and Commissy Park. There was a dent there and that dent stayed for the whole time that that stadium stood.
Speaker 1: But did you.
Speaker 2: Go and h and then to the game, Like I said, I pitched three and a Billy Martin was on the bench screaming. He's yelling here the guy came back from the dead. He can throw strikes. How come nobody else could throw strikes? And Bill free after the game he says, nice job, John, I says, Billy, Oh, I don't even remember what went on out there. I was just in a fog. And he says, well, you crossed me up five times. And I said, I said, Billy, you caught them all though, so my stuff mustn't be very good.
Speaker 1: Well, John, you know you talk about seventy three with a great year, and seventy four you came back. You made the American League All Star team. You were seventeen and fourteen that year, fifty nine games again, over one hundred and fifty innings. Everything worked well for you, thirteen saves, fifty two games finished. What happened the second year after you had such a great year as a closer. How did you get in so many games and get so many damn wins?
Speaker 2: Well, I think first of that was we didn't have a great team. It was just Ralph Holt took over and we had a lot of young players, and we just I'm not sure what our record was. It was probably one of the worst though, And so I just I found myself into a lot of ball games, and I could pitch every day. You know, I watch nowadays when they talk he pitched two days he might not be available. Billy Martin had me in thirteen games in fifteen days at one time. I picked up eight saves in that period, which made my whole year all really, but I don't know, it just he kept I was in ballgames late. I might come in when we were down one or tied and we win a couple of games. Always came back still, And the reason one of the reasons I lost fourteen why I was about seventeen and nine or seventeen and eight, and Ralph Holt came to me with about a month left and he says, well, you know the team, we're gonna do personal stuff. And he says, John, I'm going to give you a chance to win some more ballgames because Elroy Face has a record major league record of eighteen wins out of the bullpen. So every tie ballgame I'm going to put you in. Well, every one of them I lost, So that's why I end up with fourteen losses. I number go ahead.
Speaker 1: More minutes, a few more minutes with John Hiller. John, I wanted to talk about a couple hitters, one that you did really well against and one he got you a little bit. So let's go into the one that you pretty much dialed against, Reggie Jackson ten for forty seven at two thirteen off. You did really well against Reggie. Now he was a younger left hander. And then the other one was Greg Nettles. He got you pretty well. He was nineteen for fifty three. Two good left hand hitters. Tell me a little bit about both of them.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Reggie I with my stuff in the spot, see I in my career, I didn't have the change up, so it was against him. It was just fastballs and curveballs. Back to Johnny saying, he taught me this little slurve and that I could throw for a strike pretty often. So I just kept the ball away from him, and I just, you know, I didn't realize they even gave up ten hits to him. I remembered one. But Craig could go out over there with Greg mad Craig, there was Nettles, there was Rod Crew and George Brett, and they all could little left handers. They all had some power when they wanted it, but they could hit the ball the other way. And when I had to face a left hander that could go out and hit that outside pitch the other way, I had a problem with him. And I didn't throw any change ups to left handers. I don't know why. I just didn't probably have more. But there were three fellas. I didn't see them up to the plate. The tall I got a lot with the twins, so but it could take a big swing. I had a good opportunity of getting out, mainly because of the off speed stuff. Yeah, but the fellas that could punch the ball all around the field, I had a hard time with them.
Speaker 1: Just did well, John, As we finish up here, eighty seven wins in your career, one hundred and twenty five saves over fifteen years. When you remember this, what is one of the biggest memories you had in your major league career?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Well, the biggest memory is, you know, other than the World Series, and that's the obvious one. Is just that first day coming back after a year and a half what you know, what I went through and my family went through, and all of a sudden it was paying off. So we're back on the mound and the doctors that treated me and gave me the okay. So that game in itself a couple of personal games. Is playing against the Yankees, and I came into the ballgame with bases loaded and one out, and I'm not sure how that bad o caame, but then Bonds came up and Bonds used to I don't know, he used to yell at me when I was on the mountain. You don't have good stuff. So anyways, we're up by one bill it's three and two on the batter on Bonds and uh Billy puts down fastball and I said, no, he's sitting on fastball. So I threw a change up and he couldn't even swing at it. He just sort of stood there. He flicked and he's yelling at me all the way back. You can't throw that pitch. You can't throw that pitch. At that time, I'm smiling out there. I'm smiling out there.
Speaker 1: So the memories as pitchers, right, we got him, Yeah, just screaming at you. Most of them are screaming in the dugout after it. They're always at you. John. What a great career you had, and as I said earlier, it was a pleasure having you as a pitching coach. One year. We had a lot of good talks and a lot of good conversation and our friendship continued. John. But I just want to appreciate your time again today.
Speaker 2: Oh I really, I appreciate it and I'm glad to do it, Billy.
Speaker 1: That was John Hiller on the exter Ning postgame show. More coming up right here on K and B r D Sports Leader