Speaker 1: And we continue at two five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 2: John, if everyone's really, really, really good at the end of this hour, you might get an ed Lasco's crime blodder story.
Speaker 1: Enough already, oh, Randy, we all watch the gooblnatorial debate this week. We've eaten our vegetables, we've brushed our teeth before bed I think we're all deserving.
Speaker 3: It's a man all set up. He's posing as a child online, lures in the suspected child predator. That predator shows up thinking he's going to have a date with a fifteen year old.
Speaker 1: It's a date, all right.
Speaker 2: With a law that's my favorite.
Speaker 4: One eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two.
Speaker 1: Well, just when you think the high speed Rail is about as screwed up as it can get, you find new wrinkles to the story that lets you know we haven't hit rock bottom yard.
Speaker 2: A new business plan by the High speed Rail Authority isn't even legal and is completely changing the parameters about what people voted on all the way back in two thousand and eight. From more on this, we go to KCRA three and of course they're political director though wonderful Ashley Zavalla.
Speaker 5: Listen, a lot to unpack here, as you said, we're talking about the.
Speaker 2: Hut, they cut off, or sang Golston.
Speaker 5: Listen, a lot to unpack here, As you said, we're talking about the High Speed Rail Authorities twenty twenty six business plan. This is required under state law to provide specific information about the project and money moving forward.
Speaker 2: And they put this out every single year, and every single year it just has the greatest projections that never come true.
Speaker 6: But some state officials task if.
Speaker 1: We keep doing it, rinse and repeat over and over.
Speaker 5: But some state officials tasked with independent oh sight of the project, say.
Speaker 6: This plan falls short.
Speaker 5: The plan claims the Baker's Field to Merced line will cost thirty six billion dollars, with the goal of completing that segment of the track by twenty thirty three.
Speaker 2: And remember it's not really Bakersfield, it's Wasco, which is about thirty miles outside of Bakersfield. So how do you get to Baker's Field?
Speaker 1: And keep in mind that Gavin Newsom and the Theater Kids that portray him on the internet. All regard this as a smashing success.
Speaker 5: But this plan does not say how exactly the state plans to pay for that line in full, as it is expected to be short billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: We're only getting a billion dollars a year of funding from cap and Invest. So how exactly are you going to raise thirty three billion dollars in the next eight years to just complete a portion of the train that very few people would actually use.
Speaker 1: I think what they're relying on is a Democrat to be elected president next time around. Who's going to go all in on the high speed rail project?
Speaker 2: Well, the only way that's happening is if they vote another eighty year old in.
Speaker 5: It also says the original plan for a bullet train between San Francisco to Los Angeles could cost between one hundred and twenty six billion dollars to two hundred and thirty one billion dollars, with no money identified for that.
Speaker 2: What was the original cost estimate on Prop one A in two thousand and eight? Wasn't it like thirty billion dollars for the entire thing from LA to San Francisco? A little more to go from Sacramento to San Diego and it was supposed to be completed in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: How is this even legal when the finished project isn't even remotely similar to what voters passed when they went to the ballot box in two thousand and eight, and they're continuing to move forward with this as if there's no guardrails at all.
Speaker 2: I feel like we could get a class action suit going for false advertising. Voters were sold in La to San Francisco train and we're not getting that ever.
Speaker 6: No money identified for that.
Speaker 5: So the specific problems pointed out by the state's Inspector General this week.
Speaker 6: The plan does not provide clear.
Speaker 5: Details required under state law related to the costs and timeline. The plan also assumes California lawmakers and the governor will make big changes to state law when it comes to permitting and regulations.
Speaker 2: It also, well, it hasn't done it yet, so why would they do it now? You think of all the things they would dismantle SEQUA for. They would have dismantled it for the high speed rail, and they didn't. And part of what held this project up for over a decade is they didn't own any of the land. They were trying to go through Eminent Domain and they got sued over Siqua every single go parcel they were going after.
Speaker 1: And it's one thing to try to psycho analyze someone who's in the office now as to what they'll do. But Gavin is a lame duck. We're going to have a new governor coming up next year and we don't even know who that person will be.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's Bakaia, Bakaia loves the rail, he says, don't you worry, We're gonna build it better.
Speaker 5: It also states there could be significant changes to the project that have not been authorized. Those changes include a plan to move the location of one of the very first bullet train stations from downtown Merced to the suburbs of Merced.
Speaker 6: This could shave off.
Speaker 5: Nine miles from the project, but place the line in a more suburban part and let instead of a busier downtown.
Speaker 2: So it doesn't even really go to Mercedes.
Speaker 1: Boy, it just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: What is the estimated writer? Like, who is the demographic of somebody that lives in the suburbs of said that wants to stop in Fresno and end up in wasco what.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's people going from the county jail in Merced to the prison INSCO.
Speaker 5: The plan also changes the project from a double track high speed rail system to a single track system, which some lawmakers worry may not actually make this train high speed.
Speaker 2: So it's now we're just building a regular train.
Speaker 1: Talk about a bait and switch.
Speaker 2: We already have that, we already have Amtrak. Yeah, it doesn't go all the way to San Francisco, but what are we doing?
Speaker 6: Overall?
Speaker 5: State officials say the plan lacks transparency around these big changes that I just laid out.
Speaker 6: And that could end up meaning less track for more money.
Speaker 5: The California High Speed Rail Authority Board was expected to approve this draft business plan today. They had it on their agenda for the meeting in Sacramento. The board chairman Tom Richards announced at the start of the meeting that they delay that vote and move it to their meeting in May.
Speaker 2: That's because the plan leaked and the plan is obscene.
Speaker 1: But they don't seem to care though nothing really slows their role.
Speaker 2: Well, everyone on that authority is getting paid. A lot of them ex legislators that are termed out. All of the unions that are sitting around doing nothing, waiting for the project to start, or still getting paid. They've created thousands and thousands of jobs, and what exactly do we have to show for any of it outside of we created thousands and thousands of jobs.
Speaker 5: At this meeting today, the board did get a lot of public comment and opposition of that plan.
Speaker 6: Wlailemaker's from both sides.
Speaker 5: Of the aisle and the State Senate also had big issues with the plan, airing out frustration during a hearing at the state capitol earlier this week. I checked in with Republican State Senator Tony Strickland about the board's decision to hold.
Speaker 2: Off strict I'm gonna guess he's not for the project.
Speaker 1: I would hope not.
Speaker 5: Strickland is the vice chairman of the Senates Transportation Committee.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm not surprised. After we have the informational hearing on Monday. Clearly this plan is unrealistic. There's many facets we can tackle, from the shortage of cash flow to the lack of financing.
Speaker 2: And they keep saying that they're going to get private investment. What private investment firm is going to put a dollar towards this thing. They're going to sell advertising on the non existent train cars. What's the plan here?
Speaker 1: Here's my prediction, Nancy Pelosi won't be investing in this to the.
Speaker 7: Lack of financing, the lack of thought process, to just totally ignoring bills and legislation that we put here in the legislature that they just totally ignored going from a double track to single track. So now you have to share that train with freight and also metrolink. How does that become high speed rail? There's more questions that came out of this informational hearing.
Speaker 2: Then answers time to point out, as you have to do every single time that this story comes up, Japan built one of these things in nineteen sixty five.
Speaker 1: Who was it? It was somewhat associated with the high speed rail project said, and I'm not kidding, and you can look this up. I forget who it was that said it, so I'm not going to attribute it to anyone in particular. But they said that Japan had an advantage because they just had the bomb dropped on them. And that is the first time I've ever heard of anyone saying that you have an advantage if there is a bomb that's dropped on your country.
Speaker 2: I mean, sure you could say that. But part of the thing was they created a pathway to go through the Central Valley because the Obama administration said, we want you to do something about the asthma. So if you want our federal dollars, have this train go through Fresno. And you know how many the cases have gone down since they started this thing. At the same time that they were doing that, they could have done a very simple line on land they already own, where the five Freeway is connecting a bunch of parts of California where there's absolutely nothing. You drive up the five Freeway to get out of the San Fernando Valley up towards Sacramento, then eventually to the Bay Area, there's nothing there. You wouldn't have had to do a whole bunch of viaducts and land rights and easements. This thing has been a disaster from the beginning California.
Speaker 1: And as bad as the state people are, you're one hundred percent right. A lot of the blame lies on the shoulders of Barack Obama.
Speaker 5: California's high Speed Rail CEO Ian Chldre told lawmakers this week he's working to be more transparent. We tried to interview him today, but through his spokesperson, Chldre, tried to limit the questions that we and other journalists could ask. He did not want a asking about personal issues that we reported on back in February.
Speaker 2: He didn't want to answer questions about whatever the heck was going on with that domestic.
Speaker 1: I love the Party of Democracy once again telling the press that they're only allowed to ask and report on certain things. Ask questions and report on certain things.
Speaker 5: That forced him to go on administrative leave and launched a state investigation into him. He has obviously been cleared since he's back to work, but we would not agree to those terms to limit questions, so the interview did not happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm open to an interview, but don't ask anything about that really bizarre situation that I'm trying to keep secret.
Speaker 1: In what sane world is that appropriate? Like, I get it. If you're going to be a guest on a program, if I'm going on CNN or I'm going on Fox News to comment on whatever, I can ask them what the topic is. So I show up prepared, but I'm not going to go on and go, well, you can't ask me about I don't know issue X, but I'll talk about everything, but that the moment you say that there's a red flag and guess what they're going to ask you about immediately.
Speaker 8: Well, those questions aren't going to go away, that's for sure. Yeah, So what are the next steps here?
Speaker 5: So at this point, the Authority expects the board to consider the plan and probably vote on it at their next meeting on May twentieth. Official say this gives them time to make adjustments based on the feedback, but they're working up against a budget deadline that's coming up in late June, so a lot to unpack, a lot more questions than answers today on the high speed rail.
Speaker 8: I was just thinking too, I remember when I first got here in two thousand and eight, that's when voters approve high speed rail, and we're here's where we are today in.
Speaker 9: Twenty twenty six and back to Shadri.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you're working with it has been a very I mean, we're going to be coming up in just a couple of years on the twentieth anniversary of the high speed rail vote and there's going to be no train to show for it.
Speaker 1: And this is one of these issues where if California was still a two party state, there would have been oversight hearings on this. There would have been certainly very direct questions that would have been asked to the people in charge of the project. There would have been a more unified, structured opposition. But given the fact that we're a one party state, it's just been allowed to go on like this for since two thousand and eight.
Speaker 6: And back to Shadri.
Speaker 10: I mean, when you're working with public funds and there it may be have been a personal situation that caused you go on administrative leave.
Speaker 6: We definitely have the right to ask questions. Well, right, because there's you.
Speaker 5: Know, and he'd be a conflict of ent sure, and he has the right to say no comment. But mister Chadry makes more than half a million dollars a year on the California taxpayer time.
Speaker 2: Of of course he does.
Speaker 1: It seems like everyone does.
Speaker 2: By the way, the director of the high speed rail project still makes less than Barbara Ferrair.
Speaker 5: Next side, public officials are expected to answer questions from journalists who are working on behalf of taxpayers.
Speaker 11: Yeah, especially because it was about a potential conflict of interest, right, would be very concerning to taxpayers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you, Ash, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. It wasn't just the fact that there was a domestic going on, but apparently the girlfriend is serving on the board of a company that has contracts with high speed rail. But no, no, no, no no, you can't ask about that.
Speaker 1: Of course, because that's the California Way.
Speaker 2: There you go. That is the latest on the never ever, ever, never, never Gonna happen high speed Rail. It's The John Phillips Show. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: And Randy. If you you want to listen to us after we sign off at three, that's easy to do.
Speaker 2: Just search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcast. That could be the Apple podcast app, iHeart Spotify, search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe. You could download all the episodes.
Speaker 1: And right now it's time to open up the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 9: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 1: Nice see time for the California crime blodder. And we promised Ed Laskos and Randy We're going to deliver.
Speaker 2: Ed Laskos on the scene at a Hermosa Beach restaurant that got trashed by a dining dasher that wanted revenge after he got arrested for dining and dashing. Here is Fox eleven and Ed Lasko's.
Speaker 3: Popular Amosa Beach Peer restaurant is closed after an accused dine and dasher return for revenge and smash the place up.
Speaker 6: Fox Alaskos has a story.
Speaker 12: Start to grabbing here and just started try I think the third one. I think he finally.
Speaker 1: Broke it, broke out the window. Maybe he had indigestion, broke.
Speaker 3: Out the window and broke in plywood now covering up the door. But there is no covering up this. Look at it, huh.
Speaker 2: So you know a lot of people break a window to enter a business with a rock or a crowbar. He went Wwe style and threw a chair at it.
Speaker 1: Oh my, look at it. Huh.
Speaker 12: The sea of beer and bottles and dismay, what a mess.
Speaker 1: It's just really kind of tragic. It's hard to deal with.
Speaker 12: So he got in. He did a lot of damage. He was only here about nine ten minutes. He got tons of video footage.
Speaker 2: Upstairs, not related to the story, but the owner of this business, and I feel for him. How many packs a day.
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 12: We got tons of video footage upstairs and it's kind of Harden crazy to see what he did.
Speaker 3: It has to ply a Hermosa Fish and Oyster Company. Popular restaurant here on the homosap here closed for now after the dirty work by this man, a diner and dasher as they call him. He ate here a week ago, ran out without paying, is arrested, and now he's back for revenge.
Speaker 1: He's like Pamela Price, out for revenge, tearing up the joint.
Speaker 3: Huh, first the patio and wait until you see what he does once he gets inside, guzzling whiskey and throwing the bottles everywhere.
Speaker 2: He takes a little sample first and then he chucks it at the wall.
Speaker 12: He just opened the wine fridge, was just taking bottle after bottle. I kind of like thirty one bottles he tossed like he was at the fair, just mowing down My backbar has suddenly, you know, on my back top rail clap stz her.
Speaker 1: Shadows the back bar. Look at it.
Speaker 3: No happy hour here, the unhappy hour after just broken bottles, booze beer all over the floor. And then you have the glasses, the shelves, the mirror all smashed up.
Speaker 1: Do you resist.
Speaker 12: Sometimes even like grabbing it and like with two hands, like.
Speaker 1: Moving it around.
Speaker 3: Damage. You're probably one hundred thousand dollars or more. It's all replaceable except for this.
Speaker 1: And now I don't feel safe.
Speaker 12: And I have a family, have a young daughter and wife.
Speaker 1: And I just you know, I don't feel safe.
Speaker 12: They if they're causing these problems, especially down here in Hermosa, like, they need to be incarcerated, and they need to stay incarcerated for now.
Speaker 2: Ed Lasco's fucks eleven yus so guy dined to dash, got arrested. When he got out, decided to get revenge by breaking into the same restaurant and trashing the place, including destroying all of those beautiful bottles of bows. I kind of drinking that bowze.
Speaker 1: What I'm not. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so it Johnny don't like Show Gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like Show. At gmail dot com. Well, the cruise ships are back in the news, and for once, it doesn't involve neurovirus, binge drinking or girl brawls for mediocre pizza. This time, Randy, it's very different.
Speaker 2: Well, that's because this isn't a carnival story. Now. This is a cruise ship that was going around the Panama Corral, a twenty one day cruise that started in Florida went through the Panama Canal. When Up California was supposed to end in Seattle, they were stopping off for a day and a half in San Francisco, and I'm sure the cruise passengers wanted to go to Fisherman's War for the Embarcadero or get some pizza in North Beach. And it took them nine hours to go through customs to get off the ship.
Speaker 1: Nine hours.
Speaker 2: What's the longest you've ever had to wait to go through customs as you're getting off the cruise ship.
Speaker 1: I have global entry and they typically have facial recognition, so normally I don't even break stride.
Speaker 2: I got to imagine you'd be pretty irritated if you're sitting in line for nine hours to get off the ship.
Speaker 1: Oh, to say the least.
Speaker 2: For more on this, we go to NBC in the bay.
Speaker 9: No sight seeing, just waiting. Passengers on board a Norwegian cruise ship at dockt in San Francisco this morning say they endured a nightmare today.
Speaker 11: Instead of spending the day during the city, they were stuck on the ship waiting for hours.
Speaker 9: To go through custom screenings. NBC barries Jodie Hernandez is live at Peer twenty seven. Jody, why so long when you're.
Speaker 2: On a twenty one day cruise? Do you get sick of the shrimp at some point?
Speaker 1: No, you never get sick of the shrimp, or the alcohol or the gambling.
Speaker 2: Jess.
Speaker 11: I'll tell you there are a lot of unhappy customers passengers tonight. This ship arrived here to San Francisco from Cabo San Lucas at seven point thirty this morning, but it took nearly nine hours for some of them to process through customs before they could come ashore.
Speaker 2: I love that this cruise doesn't even think about stopping in La There's nothing fun there.
Speaker 1: So what they can get robbed?
Speaker 9: You're looking at the line.
Speaker 11: Hundreds of people aboard the Norwegian cruise ship Encore had to stand in for hours today.
Speaker 9: So it was.
Speaker 12: Supposed to be a wonderful if in San Francisco has turned into a nightmare.
Speaker 11: We spoke to passenger Ginger Rolf as she and her husband waited. She says, all thirty one hundred passengers and seventeen hundred crew members had to disembark and get screened by Customs and Border Protection.
Speaker 2: Probably that is a long, long line.
Speaker 1: Typically though if they staff it properly, it doesn't take long at all.
Speaker 11: Problem is the process took all day.
Speaker 13: Tinkle today canty go in to San Francisco to do excursions or visit the city because they're basically being held hostage by the migration.
Speaker 14: I've been on five cuises and I never had a problem.
Speaker 2: And because it's not parked in international waters, John, I got to imagine the casino is not even open.
Speaker 14: Nope, I've been on five cuises and I never had a problem. Eva, I've now gone through this and anyway. I've been to Italy, France, Portugal, I've been to the Caribbean.
Speaker 2: Passenger say, I'm really trying to nail that accent. It's either Chicago or East Coast.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely East Coast.
Speaker 11: I went to a Caribbean passenger say, some we're stuck on the ship the entire day, and those who did get off couldn't get back on until the screening was complete.
Speaker 9: The problem is is their procedure, They said.
Speaker 15: The US Department of Homeland Security and Customs require everyone to have a face to face immigration to get off the boat, and everyone has to get off.
Speaker 2: The You know, CBP really worked a lot better when Nome was in charge because if they didn't do stuff timely, they were worried that she was going to shoot their dog.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you could end up like old Yeller too, and everyone has to get off.
Speaker 11: The most Norwegian cruise Line acknowledged passengers were delayed from going ashore. In a statement, they said, as per federal regulation, all passengers are required to go through an immigration screening at the first US port when returning from an international destination. But experienced cruisers say.
Speaker 2: Which is funny too, because the crew started in Florida, so most of the people obviously on the cruise are American. But sure, let's do this.
Speaker 1: I don't understand what the problem is. I've been on a million cruises too, including cruises that require you to go through immigration in the state of California, and I have never had a problem like this ever.
Speaker 11: But experienced cruisers say the level of screening was something they've never experienced before. They say most passengers were fingerprinted, photographed, and interviewed before being allowed to disembark.
Speaker 8: They ask you question, I showed on my driver's life with my veterans car and my what.
Speaker 2: Is your purpose of visiting I'm on a cruise.
Speaker 1: You know what had to have happened. There was someone up to no good on that ship and they were told to go through it with a fine tooth comb. They may not publicize whoever it was that they were looking for, but it had to be something like that, because I have done this so many times in my life all over the place, and this is so atypical of how it normally works. There had to be an extraordinary circumstance showed them everything turned the cruisers and all over the world.
Speaker 9: This is absolute.
Speaker 1: I've never ever seen this ever.
Speaker 9: We had a lot of things planned, but we're going to cut them short now.
Speaker 11: This passenger says he and his family waited six and a half hours to get through the screening.
Speaker 9: Sad that we miss San Francisco.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're standing in a line for six hours and the only thing you can do is flip through your phone, your phone dies.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I just get back on the ship.
Speaker 9: That we missed.
Speaker 10: San Francisco is a beautiful day, but we'll enjoy what we've got left.
Speaker 11: Unfortunately, the Encore will be here in San Francisco until six pm tomorrow, so people we'll have some time tomorrow morning and afternoon to explore the city. Now, we did reach out to Customs and Border Protection. They said they're working on a response, but we have not yet heard back from them.
Speaker 2: So that was earlier in the day. And then when CBP did give a response, they gave a whole bunch of excuses that nobody is buying. So we have an up date to that story. Let's go back to NBC in the Bay.
Speaker 16: Not that cruise that they were expecting yesterday. We told you about the passengers on that cruise ship delayed for hours as they tried to get off the ship to visit San Francisco.
Speaker 2: A long and if you're standing in a six hour line and you have to use the bathroom, will they hold your place or you got to go all the way back to the beginning.
Speaker 1: Well, over the course of six hours, you're probably going to have to use the bathroom a couple of times.
Speaker 16: A long and complicated customs process with fingerprinting and interviews.
Speaker 15: Tonight, Customs and Border Patrol says it has an explanation.
Speaker 10: NBC by Ariasarhio Cantana joins US Live from the San Francisco Cruise Port terminal with all the new details. Sirho, Well, you know, the Norwegian Encore is scheduled to leave San Francisco in about a half an hour, and unfortunately, it is pretty likely that a lot of those passengers are a little bit disappointed with their visit to San Francisco because of that massive delay yesterday in actually getting off of the ship. Now today, as you mentioned, the Customs and Border Protection is giving an explanation, actually several explanations as to what was behind that delay. But I talked to some passengers today and they say that that doesn't fully line up with what they experienced today. The three thousand passengers aboard the Norwegian Encore woke up to a bright and sunny San Francisco morning. Many made their way around the city doing the things tourists loved, but they say the hours long delays yesterday have left them with the very unfortunate impression. It's bad news for a city that thrives on tourism. Today, Mayor Daniel Lurie encouraged visitors to come back to the city for a longer visit.
Speaker 2: We want our tourists and those coming by boat to have every single hour available to them to visit the greatest city in the world. They didn't even have time to tour the drug addicts in the Tenderloin.
Speaker 1: No, they didn't, and.
Speaker 2: So we'll look into that matter.
Speaker 10: A spokesman for US Customs and Border Protection tells US there were a number of reasons for yesterday's major delay. Among them, he says, the Norwegian Encore was three hours late docking, meaning CBP agents were delayed getting a board. The passenger say, that doesn't line.
Speaker 2: Up, nick true, we are actually like forty five minutes early. So CBP says, well, that boat was three hours late, and every single person on the boat says, no, we were early.
Speaker 1: Okay. So here's the thing. When they go through the Panama Canal, so that's what you call a repositioning in cruise terminology where you start at one port and end at a different port, because most cruises you start in LA and in La. But they're moving that ship from the Caribbean because that season is ending and they're probably moving it, I would assume, to Alaska because that season's about to start. And when you move it through the Panama Canal, you stop in places like Cartagenia, Columbia, and you stop in Panama, and sometimes you stop in some of those Central American countries, countries where there's a lot of drugs, there's a lot of contraband that is knuck into the United States. Maybe there are people who are stowaways, who are caterers or who are putting booze or whatever it is on the ship, and sometimes they're trying to get out of whatever country they're in and get to the United States. I wonder if there's some issue that was flat from one of those countries, particularly with what's going on in Venezuela right now, where they can't fully be honest because it's an ongoing investigation which they never comment on, or I don't know, maybe the story is even hotter than that, and that's what they're looking for, and that's why they were taking the step that they normally don't take.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Ronald and Martina Bode say they were delayed by the customs process for hours. Another passage told me off camera they believe the ship arrived earlier than scheduled as well Customs and Border protect Of course.
Speaker 2: That could be a situation like when you land early at LAX and you're like, hey, great, I get to start my day early, and then you're like, well, we have to find a gate for you, so now you're gonna sit on the tarmac and you can't get up for another forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or if you're coming back from Australia and this has happened to me, before you get in early, but the shift for immigration and customs enforcement they haven't started yet, so you just have to stand in line, or you just have to sit there and wait for that shift to start.
Speaker 2: That's what happened when I flew back from me from Spain to DFW. We landed early at four point thirty. Customs didn't start their shift until five.
Speaker 1: It wasn't six.
Speaker 10: Customs and Border Protection says there were other issues too, For example, because the Encore arrived here from Mexico. Foreign passengers had to go through a rigorous arrival process, which includes a biometric screening, interview, and fingerprinting.
Speaker 2: How rigorous of an interview is that? Do they go all TSA on your orifices?
Speaker 1: I'm telling you that's not true. I have taken that cruise to the Mexican Rivira or to Ensenada probably, and I'm not exaggerating forty times in my life, and not once have I ever had to go through any of that.
Speaker 10: The agency also says the facial recognition tech used to verify US citizens wasn't working.
Speaker 2: Oh so even if you had Global Entry, you were screwed.
Speaker 1: That's no Blano.
Speaker 10: So everyone had to go through the biometric screening Earlier today, Hallan.
Speaker 2: I love that Global Entry. By the way, when I flew back into DFW, that Kai who is at customs waved me through, knew my name and said you're good.
Speaker 1: It's the best hundred bucks you'll ever spend.
Speaker 2: And if you have an American Express card or a Chase Sapphire card, they literally reimburse you for it.
Speaker 10: Earlier today, Hall in America's Connings Dam cruise ship also ride in port Her passengers went through their CBP screening in San Diego earlier this week pointed arrivee from Mexico and customs was.
Speaker 5: A bit delayed getting on the ship, so we got off about an hour and a half later than we expected, but not a big deal.
Speaker 1: When we went through, it was not an issue at all.
Speaker 12: But we waited until the line greatly subsided, and.
Speaker 2: We did that guy wait until the line went down, so he sat at the buffet and stuffed his face until it was over.
Speaker 1: And by the way, this I think adds a little meat to my allegation that if there is another ship that was there and they had no problem, there was something going on on that particular Norwegian ship that they were looking at, and.
Speaker 9: We did not have an issue.
Speaker 10: Many of the passengers on the Norwegian Encore are part of a twenty one day cruise that started in Miami, went through the Panama Canal Wealth and will end in Seattle.
Speaker 2: Would you do a twenty one day of course.
Speaker 10: Despite yesterday's late most of the passengers we've talked with say they enjoyed their time in the city by the Bay. Now, the CPDB spokesperson we talk with say that they actually had another challenge. There was an elderly passenger that passed away on the ship, and so they had to wait until the medical examiners came aboard.
Speaker 2: That's what did it. That's what happened now we know.
Speaker 1: I wonder if there was suspected foul play and they didn't want to let anyone off until they figured out just exactly why that person died.
Speaker 2: But when you have these really long cruises, the month long, the six month long, there's even the year ones that go around the world. A lot of people that take these things are retirees. You probably just assumed that one or two of them are going to pass away overseas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a fair assumption. But there's also a and Doug Parker over at Cruise Radio was reporting on it where there was a murder that took place on one of these cruise ships where it was a sibling I believe, who killed another sibling and put the body underneath the bed on the cruise ship and it became a big deal. So, yeah, there's a lot of desks due to natural causes that go on, but there's also foul play, and you want to make sure that if there is foul play involved, you don't let the person escape into a big city like San Francisco.
Speaker 10: Take custody of that body before they could actually start processing their passengers so that they could to board them.
Speaker 9: I have reached out to the Office of the.
Speaker 10: Medical Examiner for further details on that, but I haven't gotten a response yet. Reporting live in San Francisco, I'm SETI koking Dona, NBC.
Speaker 2: There, So there, the mystery is kind of solved. The facial recognition technology was broken and there was a dead body on board.
Speaker 1: And Randy, I think we have time for one more addition to the California crime blodder.
Speaker 9: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 2: This whoa, whoa, what's not you?
Speaker 6: Dun dumb dumb dunk dun dun dumb dumb dumb.
Speaker 1: Reads the Califonia crime blodder.
Speaker 3: With Jump.
Speaker 1: And Randy. This one takes us back to the seven eleven if dumby.
Speaker 2: Now they're just straight up stealing the cash registers at seven elevens for more here as NBC LA.
Speaker 15: This morning, thieves are targeting seven eleven stores. So take a look at this video. This is a new video from just a few hours ago. One of the crooks jumped over the counter and stole the whole cash register. It took us seconds and then they ran off. NBC fors Lauren Cornado is live.
Speaker 2: What are they gonna do with that besides dump it on the side of the road.
Speaker 1: Isn't there one spot in La County where all the stolen cash registers and ATMs get dumped.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's off the side of a bridge near the one eighteen freeway and Chatsworth.
Speaker 6: And then they ran off.
Speaker 15: NBC fors Lauren Cornado is live at Estel where this happened. So, Lauren, they got.
Speaker 6: Away with a lot of cash, they did, Lynette, good morning.
Speaker 13: I just got off the phone with an officer with the LAPD who tells me they got away with that least nine.
Speaker 6: Hundred dollars in cash.
Speaker 13: In fact, they're treating it as a grand theft for that very reason. And you'll see in that video, which will show you again in just a moment, the two thieves they walk right into the seven eleven.
Speaker 6: Thankfully they were caught on camera. And notice how quiet it was.
Speaker 13: Seventeen seconds, that's how quickly the thieves took off with two.
Speaker 2: Cash There's no way to do a response for seventeen seconds.
Speaker 1: No, they had the precision of a surgeon.
Speaker 6: Two cash registers.
Speaker 13: We blurred one man's face because he appears to be an innocent customer. This was around twelve thirty early this morning. The two masked thieves ran off toward Olympic in the office.
Speaker 2: This kind of behavior is going to leave all the seven elevens to close at seven pm.
Speaker 1: None of us are going to be able to get a TwixT bar at eleven o'clock at night.
Speaker 13: It's the direction of Arizona, the closest cross street. Thankfully, the worker was not hurt, and this wasn't the only seven to eleven hit this week. We covered a robbery in Westlake around eleven forty late Monday night. Please say the robber jumped over the counter in that case two and got away with two cash registers as well.
Speaker 2: Sounds like the same guy to me.