Speaker 1: Now broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio at the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty. And now. We have the same two rules for the Armstrong and Getty show that Dolly Parton had for clothing, she said. Sparkly and tight. That's what we are. Sparkly and tight. Welcome to the live presentation of the Armstrong and Getty program. Deeper than the bowels of the Armstrong and Getty communications compound. And today we're toiling under the title of the show. I struggled with how to express this most succinctly and persuasively. Title number one. Mom, the flag, apple pie, and Dolly. On a less life-affirming note, I hate politics. Oh, I hate politics so much. I'm sure we'll get to that soon enough and for the next however many years. As long as we live in this godforsaken system. So what's your explanation? I can't wait. I'm going to go through all of the different people and entities that That came out with their, you know, tip of the hat to Dolly Parton. I mean, they vary more than any crowd I've ever seen in my life. Agreed. It's unbelievable. Like, from the Parliament of Ireland to Eminem to, I mean, it's just incredible. What's your explanation for that? And I feel like I haven't heard that discussed much. People keep talking about how many hits she had. Okay, fine. And she was a good musician, no doubt about it. But there's lots of good musicians that pass along, and they don't get a hundredth of this sort of attention. So what was her thing? Yeah, accepting, stipulating, as they say in the courtroom, that she was a very well-known and successful entertainer. I think it was that she radiated goodness and kindness. I think so, too. And people respond to that, even as they go about their cynical lives in their snarky 21st century ways. There is something called riz, charisma, and maybe she just had it on a level that one and a Two billion and a half as opposed to just like lots of charisma. She was utterly disarming. Yeah. It's hard to imagine the kind of human being that wouldn't like her. Right. What you'd have to be. Right. She was just so about kindness and generosity and an enormous star while being completely unassuming. I mean, if that doesn't appeal to humans, you have a different point of view than me. And we cannot be friends. I mean, she gave away hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars to charity over the many, many years. She'd be a billionaire if she hadn't given away so much money to charity. So that'll, you know, that'll buy a lot of goodwill. And I don't mean that in like a cynical way that just makes, you know, makes people happy.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. Yeah. A great deal of it devoted childhood literacy, which is. it's difficult to surpass as a wonderful idea, given that if a child learns to read, A, and B, becomes capable at it, that changes their life. Unfortunately, as a nation, we've decided to give up on that. But, yeah, well, she's old. So she grew up in a time and place where that was really a big thing. I mean, her dad couldn't read or write. So one of 12 in a one-bedroom shack? Holy crap. No electricity or running water. Yeah. To global superstardom and stayed normal. Yeah. That's not easy. And got there pretty fast. So when she was graduating high school, she says right before they left. And the day she graduated high school, she moved to Nashville. But before she graduated high school, like right before they did the whole, you know, what do you want to be when you grow up? She said, I'm going to be a star. Very matter of factly. And everybody laughed. She's just one of those people that just knew, you know, that's what I'm going to do. I'm cut out for that sort of thing, you see.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As a hack musician, and I don't want to focus on this, but her public image with the rhinestones and the hooters and all that. And the hooters! Well, that's the first not completely respectful comment on the Dolly Parton memorials. Nor was she. I'm echoing her failures. She used the term hooters, though. It's the term. It's not the body part. Half the world has the body part. All right, breasts, for God's sake. Memory glands. What do you want out of me? I like the term figure. Oh, bosom. Her prodigious bosoms.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: No, I always found it mildly annoying. Because I thought she was so wonderful. And, you know, as a songwriter, as a musician, as a thinker and a businesswoman and the rest of it, I was like, you could be wearing anything, looking like anything. But, you know, she had her thing. She had her, you know, her groove and she stuck with it. So I got to respect her. I have to read from one of the New York Times articles that I got into because they kept hyperlinking to various things. And one of them was about her look. And how they tried to change her look, and it became a real problem. She had to break with the management company that was launching her. She said, I'm not, I just can't. I can't. Because she kind of broke right when the woman thing was changing to, like, tight slacks and a different kind of shirt and flat hair and just a different look. And she did that for like a day and said, I, this is not me. I can't do this. And went back to the giant hair and they said, well, we can't market you that way. And okay, I guess we're not, I guess we have to agree to disagree. So she really was looking for a more Helen ready-ish approach to exactly. You're old enough to remember that. That's exactly what they're trying to do. Google it. As usual, the people that run these kind of show business industries having no imagination whatsoever. We'll just do exactly what everybody else is doing it. I hate them, too, along with politics, but go on. And assume nobody with the talent can possibly figure this out on their own. They need the suits to tell them how to be good at what they do. Yes. Even though they've never done it. No. They've watched other people do it, so they think they know, but they don't. How much money do you suppose she made off of I Will Always Love You? Just that one song. If that's all she'd ever done was written that song and Whitney records it, I wonder how much money she would have made. That was back when people were still buying physical media, so zillions. She would have been insanely wealthy with just that one song. It was number one for 11 weeks, 13 weeks, something like that. It was a number one hit for her and then for Whitney Houston, so it made a lot of money. Number one hit for her twice on the country charts. Right. Yes. And it was on the same album as Jolene. That was a good album. She said, I must have something going that night. Holy crap. She wrote those two songs in the same night. That's funny how that works with the artists, isn't it? That's incredible. Yeah, I know it is. Yeah, but we got some more flashbacks and retrospects and all that sort of stuff. I just, I think, I used to say this should be, this should have like a PhD level study, but that's back when I used to have respect for PhD level studies of any kind. Third thing I hate, yes. There should be some sort of study on her ability to, to appeal to everyone. That's an incredibly rare thing. Right, right. And I think people know this about us, but I want to make clear, as a cynic, a celebrity passes. I don't, I generally don't have all that much interest in showing out about that. I just, I don't. I admired their work. They lived a good life, I feel, for their family. It's that. But as we started to discuss at the beginning what it is about dolly and her life and her manner that was so universally beloved i think is i think it's important and i think it's worth contemplating for a minute particularly in a world where we're surrounded by you know hateful divisive politics bizarro movements everybody's angry everybody's distracted constantly by the internet It's one of the few common, well, my title was, my proposed title, Mom, the Flag, Apple Pie, and Dolly. This is one of the few commonalities we have left. Yeah. And it's worth, anytime we run into one of those, it's worth everybody saying, I like that, and you like that, and I do too. Let's think about that. That's exactly why I wanted to get into that. That is a very unique thing. Katie is nodding her head along. I'm glad to hear we have your agreement, Katie. She was a woman. If we're having the argument about what a woman is, Dolly Parton. Oh, I see. Yeah. You know what? I love that because, you know, a guy will say, no, that's a man. Or in Yiddish slash German, mensch means that's a complete man. That is that is somebody worth admiring yeah yeah she she went with that cartoonish hair and uh breast augmentation but she started from a base of Very attractive. But through all of that, she remained classy. Yeah. She was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How she did that. Right. Without ever being smutty, slutty, trashy. Right. How do you pull off that line? I don't know. We've left out her fantastic sense of humor. Right. And her refusal to take herself overly seriously. Which helps a lot. Wisdom, in short. She had a ridiculous smile. So that helps, too. That helps, too. looked sincere to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think she's just like really digging, you know, whatever she was doing or whoever she was talking to, which I never worked a day in her life. Right. I can't pull off for an hour enjoying who I'm talking to her. If you don't look homicidal for five minutes, it's a victory. Yeah. Um, Yeah, well, if you look at where she came from and what she went through, that will give you wisdom. That will give you perspective. Do we know anything about her other 11 brothers and sisters? Are they all really cynical, angry, troll-like people? Exactly. She got all the joy. All the joy went to Dolly. That's right. Well, let's start the show officially. Got a good clip for you. I'm Jack Armstrong. He's Joe Getty. On this, it is Wednesday, August 26th, the year 2026. We're Armstrong and Getty, and we approve of this program. Let's begin the show officially then, according to FCC rules, regs at mark. Okay, the category in our top ten Dolly Parton pet peeves. Dolly, are you all set? Here we go. Number three.
Speaker 4: Okay, smart-ass emcees who introduced me by saying, and now here they are.
Speaker 2: Dolly Parton. Number two.
Speaker 4: When the Super Bowl is over, winner never says, hey, I'm going to Dollywood.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: And now, the number one Dolly Parton pet peeve. Nobody notices I've got a great ass, too. Wow. That is not a person who takes herself overly seriously. How do you get a shout out from John Fogarty and Eminem? Heavy D and Steven Pinker. I mean, the list I've got here is absolutely amazing. Heavy D and Steven Pinker. That may be the first time those two have ever been mentioned in the same sentence. Wu-Tang Clan and Larry Gatlin. For those of you who know who that is. I mean, it's just, it's insane. Wow. Robert Reich and every living president. I don't know. There's something going on there. The only time you will hear this sort of outpouring again from the world of music, well, from the entire world, will be when Paul McCartney passes. But he was a foreigner. On the other hand, you know, he had similar attributes of just disarming, you know, not taking himself seriously, etc. And monumental talent. What Dolly Dye of? I didn't get into that. I didn't read or watch any of this stuff where they got into the last days. Officially a brief bout of cancer. Okay. We got headlines on the way and lots to talk about today. Lindsey Graham's sister. I hope she's smarter than I think she is, and I hope she is willing to learn. You hate her? You hate her. You're a hater. I don't hate her. I just don't think she probably should have been a U.S. Senator, but she's going to be, so let's get over it. Headlines on the way. Stay here.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 1: Shaboozy, Brooke Shields, and Motley Crue all weighing in with their tributes to Dolly Parton. I mean, what? Never thought I'd hear that combo. I know. I got many of those. It's unbelievable. Well, I'm going to that festival, by the way. Yeah, I know. And then outside the world of music, like you said, Steven Pinker, the great defender of enlightenment and humanism, blah, blah, blah. More to come on a million different topics, but let's figure out who's reporting what. It's the lead story with Katie Green. Katie.
Speaker 3: So not to waste time, all the alphabet networks, Dolly Parton.
Speaker 1: Non-stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Apparently a brief battle with cancer. Man, it seemed to happen fast, which is. Well, you know what? She canceled a bunch of shows like six months ago. Right, well, yeah, but they put together that whole residency thing in Vegas, which she would have been huge. Right. And, you know, they booked that. She booked that thinking she was healthy, obviously. It wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 3: From the Wall Street Journal. Years late, billions over budget. California's high-speed rail hasn't laid a track.
Speaker 1: Who's reporting on that? Wall Street Journal. Yeah, we'll get into that. Yet another... I mean, it's like retrying John Wilkes Booth for killing Lincoln. There's no need. The state is guilty of enormous theft, and yet the punishment is not forthcoming. USA Today.
Speaker 3: Shopping malls are charging for prime parking, and it's not going well. Wow.
Speaker 1: All right. First of all, shopping malls are still open in various places, apparently. Are they talking about big box hell shopping malls or traditional malls?
Speaker 3: Like traditional malls. But I know that a lot of people use them as a safe place to walk.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true. That's what my parents used to do. That's the fact that they're charging us now. Park farther away, you numbskulls. Heartless Joe. What?
Speaker 3: New York Post, Chucky Masked Sicko, who terrorizes Philadelphia citizens, is captured in Vegas.
Speaker 1: Oh, they caught him in Vegas. Wow. After a two-week manhunt. I don't know if you saw in those videos. They were chilling. Just a sick effort. Thought he was being funny or something. Well, as someone who loves horror, did not love this. No, no, no. Nobody loves that stuff in real life.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Right. Study finds had a sleepless night.
Speaker 3: Study suggests that exercising protects your memory as much as a nap.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Cool. Babylon B.
Speaker 3: Apocalypse draws near as last remaining universally loved human passes away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder about that. Was she the last universally loved human? We'll see. We ain't going to have many more. I was thinking about various titles we could give the show today, and one I was toying with the idea of here comes the Civil War. The last thing that held us together has passed. Yeah. Thank God she never weighed in on Trump or anything. No, she's too smart for that. Yes, she was. I sure would love to have seen her behind closed doors making business decisions. There had to be that side of her.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: You don't become a billionaire by accident. Nope. Nope. We got a lot of the news of the day that we need to get into and some other interesting stuff about Dolly Parton that is worth talking about, too. If you miss a segment, get the podcast. Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty. The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 1: What would you tell your younger self?
Speaker 2: Well, that's a tricky question.
Speaker 4: It was my dream to do it. But I would just probably, looking back, I would just say, girl, you better buckle up because you're in for the ride of your life. You're going to have to take a lot of stuff. You're going to have to give a lot of stuff. And you're going to have to stand by your guns, believe in yourself, stay true to yourself.
Speaker 1: I heard some interview, this just popped into my head, where she's talking about, I created a persona which is mostly not me. And I thought, well, that's really interesting. Because one of your appeals is coming off so insanely genuine. And you're saying your persona is mostly not who you are. I don't know. I'd love to know more about that. Yeah. Anyway, we can talk more about that later. We got a couple of texts, a conversation about the passing of Dolly Parton and the amazing variety of different people that spoke out about that yesterday in positive ways. And somebody texted, don't forget big boobs. Everyone likes those. So thanks for that. Good point. Yes. But we got this. You have any idea what this means? This is about. The Hooters comment was not even close to the holy crap moment. You're a seriously disgusting person, Jack. I hope you get to taste holy C word. And for that matter, you have no idea what the word holy means or what holy is. I hope you get a mouthful of holy C dot dot dot. You jerk. I think they're accusing you of being blasphemous by saying holy crap. What? As far as I can tell. I don't know. The rantings of the kooky are often difficult to interpret. If I'm going to spend eternity in hell with a mouthful of holy sea, I should know why. Probably burning hot, holy crap, yes. I should know why.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that would be nice. Maybe it's on the forum somewhere. Also, let the revolution begin, or not the revolution, the Civil War, as my, our old friend, Mike, the attorney points out, um, when Trump posted that the flags would be flown at half mast in honor of Ms. Parton, uh, and her life, uh, the online world exploded with anger.
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Of course, because, because it was Trump, I guess, but it online, anything is just, it's a, it's a cesspool of radioactive effluvium way to spend your life. I thought it was cool. Flaming sewage. How about the fact that the Empire State Building turned itself whatever color in honor of Dolly Parton last night? I like that. Rhinestone-y. Yeah, that's amazing. So on a slightly more serious note, golly gee, this is something. Bill Gates has issued the occasional messages on how he sees AI and its development and what it might bring in the future. And his latest is a 12-page humdinger, by golly. Gates issued a stark warning about AI's risks to employment in the human condition, saying that companies were barreling ahead with the technology and with no larger plan for the massive upheaval it would cause. Quote, even under the best circumstances, the transition to this new AI era will be one of the most turbulent times in human history, he wrote in a 12-page essay. Right now, we are not preparing for it. I don't see evidence that leaders, experts, and communities are confronting the challenges adequately. One of the most turbulent times in human history is a heck of a thing to throw around. He decided to weigh in now, apparently, because he believes that there is not much time to prepare for the transition. That's what I was wondering when he says that. What's he feel like the horizon is? I don't think he was very, very specific. If he has been, I haven't come across it. But he's going to D.C. like now. He says he wants to talk to lawmakers. Quote, you have a chance to act now. Before unemployment rises sharply, communities are hurting and public trust has eroded. Eroded further? Yikes. That's interesting what he said there about the companies having no plan. That's not really their job or arena. I mean, how could they? So I'm trying to think of an example, but like when the car industry came along, you know, when cars became really popular, there was a very big concern that all of a sudden we had mobile bedrooms and people were going to be able to make out and have sex in cars. For the first time ever, you got a mobile bedroom. You used to have to either get a hotel or be at home. Uh, and that was just like swept the nation. I've read a bunch of articles about that from way back. I think it was forties and fifties. It's really kind of hilarious in retrospect, but it wasn't the car industry's duty to come up with a plan for that. That was a by-product of this new invention. Isn't it the same with AI?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm vending this AI. It's a, it's a computer thing. It can learn itself, whatever like that. What's that going to do to people working? I don't know. You figured out. Well, right. And boy, this is a, this leads to a, incredibly important tangent that I'll try to keep kind of brief, but yeah, let the companies pursue their self-interest because it's when government gets involved and mixes some politicians view opinion on what the public interest is with the private interest that all of a sudden the free market gets completely skewed. Government itself becomes screwed up and, and you just, you're better off letting the free market function and, And then government stepping in where government should. Yeah, I like Bill Gates weighing in on this because I think we've all gotten bamboozled a little bit on this, including myself. Like the AI, the people making these things, like Altman and Elon and Emodi, it's their job to figure out how humanity is going to adjust to it. No, it's not. Right. And the only reason they're spinning it positively is so people will continue to invest and support it. But they don't need to come up with a plan. A few more specifics, because it's good to start the day with existential angst. Much of his essay focused on jobs, noting that entry and mid-level jobs are most at risk of being eliminated. He argued that AI will soon also affect blue collar work and the breadth and speed make it different from other workplace transitions.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he cites the move from agriculture to office work. And that took generations. But that sectors like law, customer service, software, and manufacturing will feel AI's impact over the course of a single decade. And when AI can produce error-free work, if ever, it will be able to function on its own without a human checking in on it. And companies will have very economic, I'm sorry, every economic incentive to let it. Need a strong, much stronger safety net. And he points out when factories closed, many locals saw more opioid deaths. Imagine similar pressures on both white collar and blue collar workers nationwide. And then one more note. Both of my kids are going to be living in my house for the rest of my life. That's correct. Get a bigger house. If you can afford it. Gates stressed the risk of cyber attacks on the grid, hospitals, and banks. Fraud and surveillance will be widespread. AI will also enable governments to use deadly force without a human's input. Yeah, it's funny. We have a tendency to talk about AI and the Chinese robots in warfare. Then we talk about AI and what it's going to do to the workplace. Then we talk about AI and criminals' abilities to hack into everything and act like those all three aren't going to be happening at the same time. It's not like those aren't separate entities at separate eras. They're all going to be happening at the same time. It's not a checklist. It's a flood. Yeah. One more thought on relationships. Gates, and I think he's right, stressed that AI can be an echo chamber. which could have profound effects on children. Chatbots are addictive and can be a source of friction-free companionship, unlike humans, and can worsen critical thinking. This would be the worst possible time for humans to lose their critical thinking skills. In an era of deep fakes and misinformation that can be tailored to you individually, the ability to tell what is true from what is not becomes an essential life skill. Well, that's easy for you to say. He's a super genius. He's called for taxes on AI tokens. Are you familiar with the term token? It's a unit of computing power. So I've got my little AI company, and I pay one of the many companies that is building the data centers for a certain number of tokens so I can do my AI stuff. Okay, Bill Epstein Gates. And this money the government gets from these tokens, what are they going to do with this? What's the genius plan for that? Well, these tokens, these taxes could delay companies rush away from human labor. And those taxes could also fund a social safety net for restraining people whose jobs won't exist. Retraining, not restraining. So part of it is a punishment to slow them down. Nobody's slowing down China. And then the other end is a safety net, which, you know, I don't have a lot of optimism on crafting safety nets. So that part I didn't like of the Bill Gates spiel. yes, I'm not sure what the alternative is and neither does anybody else. Well, when the robot apocalypse comes, you and your dog will still have each other, right? I got another comment on that, but first, yes, Rough Greens. A wagging tail and a lolling tongue and a tennis ball thrown will still bring joy to our hearts, won't it? But you want your dog to live as healthy and as long as possible, and that's where Rough Greens comes in. It's America's number one dog supplement. You know who liked dogs? Dolly Parton. I'm going to tie her into everything. And that's why she would probably appreciate you using Rough Greens. Can her estate sue me like she's endorsing this product? Yes, indeed, yes. Rough Greens is something you sprinkle on your dog's current food. Live probiotics, digestive enzymes, omega oils, over 20 vitamins and minerals, all natural, made right here in the United States. And you can try it for nothing, which is really, really cool. Try it for free. Just pay the shipping. Go to roughgreens.com right now. Grab your free Jumpstart trial bag. You only cover shipping at ruffgreens.com. You've got to use the code ARMSTRONG. Again, roughgreens.com. That discount code is Armstrong at checkout. Roughgreens.com code Armstrong. Roughgreens doesn't replace your dog's food. It makes it better. I don't know why this hadn't occurred to me before. Maybe I'm the only one, but it's almost... Funny that the industry, the heavyweights discussing how we're going to handle the problem of AIs or the people that are making it, they didn't need to do that at all. Bill Gates, when you invented the Internet, I don't remember people putting out big pieces, you putting out a big piece about how the Internet was going to destroy people's lives. Maybe you didn't understand that. But it made all kinds of stuff bad and good. But you didn't. Wasn't your job to figure out the bad stuff? Why is it AI's job to figure out the bad stuff? That's an interesting philosophical and governmental question because if you are putting out a product that is just patently dangerous, then yes, you need to figure out how to make your product less dangerous. But if it's dangerous because of how productive it is, we're into a weird gray area. And again, dislocation, and a lot of you I know, and I want to tip my cap to your opinion, think, dudes, this is like the steam engine and the cotton gin thing. And everything else, it will create jobs. It will not remove them. I hope you're right. I don't think you are. I am voicing that, so they are part of the discussion. I pray they're right. And I always thought I have a pretty good imagination, but maybe I just lack imagination as to how that will look. But fortunately, here is the rub. Even if you believe that, that in spite of the massive amount of change. We can adjust and reallocate resources and labor and the rest of it. It's the pace of change that will be so mind blowing. And it's the sort of thing governments have never had to deal with. I mean, hell, slow paced demographic change. They suck at. I mean, great piece, Holman Jenkins, Wall Street Journal today, he was talking, his message was essentially, hey, socialists, we've already run out of other people's money to spend. Look at the United States. Look at our budget. The budget is the safety net. Everything else is a minor part of the budget. With rising interest rates, we've already run out of money for our social safety net. Tax the billionaires, the oligarchs, yeah, we know. But anyway, if they're that bad at adjusting to the very slow graying of america picture of all that s happens in a month and a half so is all this talk from elon about we won't need money in the future and it'll we'll have 10 times the economy or 30 times the economy or whatever and the same thing from the other big leaders is that all just to try to have a some positive news out there about ai because without that it would be all negative Oh, well, to your question specifically, Elon is absolutely brilliant, but he has huge blind spots, too. And this might be one of them, the socioeconomic reality he's talking about. One of his biggest blind spots is everybody ain't like you, dude. We're not all super geniuses who only care about, you know, working and getting to Mars. Right. I work really hard on that because as an iconoclast, also known in some quarters as a weirdo, I've tried to understand that, okay, my perception is different than a lot of people's.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I have a completely new perspective of this whole thing now because of that Bill Gates piece, and I can't believe that I didn't notice this. It's not the industry's job to figure out the downside. When has it ever been? No, we need to depend on government.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, we need to depend on us. We're the government. But the idea of taxing them to the point that there's too slow that we can figure it out. That's a terrible idea. That's a terrible idea, Bill. Sorry. You think I spent too much time on the island? Oh, that was out. I recuse. We got mailbag next. Stay here.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty. The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 1: Both Dan Sullivans won up in Alaska? Is that going to be the race? No, but they've advanced to the final X number in the ranked vote choice system. So still both Dan Sullivans are competing against each other? Both in the game, yes. The real Dan Sullivan and the fake Republican Dan Sullivan. Yeah, beautiful. Here's your freedom-loving quote of the day. I chose this because I've got a lot of information on this topic. I hope we'll get to it. But it was said not by Christopher Hitchens, who is often credited with this, but writer Andrew Cummins. Quote, Islamophobia is a word created by fascists and used by cowards to manipulate morons. Hmm. Pretty good time. Islamophobia is a word created by fascists and used by cowards to manipulate morons. God, I wish Christopher Hitchens was alive today to take on this DSA crowd. Particularly the Islamofascist part.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He'd be so good. Yeah, a valuable voice.
Speaker 2: Lost!
Speaker 1: Shouldn't have smoked. Mailbag. Drop us a note. Mailbag at armstrongandgetty.com. On the topic of Dolly... MR writes, one of the correspondents on TV said Dolly was the only entertainer in his lifetime that always led with love. A lovely tribute and so true. Very simply true. Thank you for writing. On a totally different topic, JT in Livermore. Jack's chatbot told him that Jack had earned the chatbot's honesty? Right. Um, WTF? Did the chatbot just admit that it isn't honest with the rest of us? And or is it saying that we have to earn the honesty we assumed was supposed to be there? Troubling. Greg from Sunnyvale with quite the note on, uh, abdul al-saeed's appearance on the jesse waters show he also put out a tribute to dolly parton last night al-saeed did that oh my god is he dangerous uh and and he points out a number of different ways that jesse was just a terrible interrogator and or expresser of you know the view that a lot of what al-saeed believes is abhorrent he really did a poor job um But then he says, lastly, I was further disappointed with Jesse when I saw him on the Foxes, the five. After the panel discussion about Al-Said, Jesse said he liked Abdul. which had agreements by all the others on the panel. This is concerning because he is so dangerous. He's using his charm to minimize his true goal or to mask it. Once he and others get control, they will no longer be charming to those who disagree with them. They will no longer show friendship to you and others in their way. And I think it's a mistake to verbalize to anyone like you like him. He's lying and using his charm for deception. I would agree completely. Yeah. Let's see. Yeah, trust me. The DSA put out a statement about Dolly Parton, one of the great, we love her, blah, blah, blah. The DSA did. And George Bush. I mean, like I said, the range of people is quite amazing. Yeah, I believe one of them was sincere and one was not. Joe in Manteca writes on the topic of McCarthyism, interestingly. It's interesting how during the Cold War, Senator McCarthy was so concerned about communists infiltrating our government country at the same time People seem much more aware of the threat of communism. Today it seems like we don't care as much. What do you think? Well, A, we clearly don't care as much because we have forgotten the horrific lessons of communism. But I think more importantly, and I didn't realize this until later in life, the left in education, which is a lot of education, really hammered McCarthyism and made that the face of anti-communism, trying to teach children that anti-communism was irrational, it was bigoted. It unfairly hurt a bunch of people, and there was certainly some truth to that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: When you think about that era and the communist scare, it's all about the overreach as opposed to the fact that there were actually lots of communists that had gotten into our government and our press. Yeah, exactly. Yeah, they were absolutely teeming in the State Department, especially in our media. So that was an intentional strategy to make Joe McCarthy look like anti-communism. No, he was a self-aggrandizing nut job, but the communism part was absolutely real. So the 60 Minutes reran their segment on the California bullet train. Wall Street Journal has an article about it today. It's one of the great government awfulnesses of our lifetimes.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty.