Speaker 1: Listen to The Sports Leader anytime, anywhere. Download KNBR, The Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continue live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios. Casino Matrix, Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in. 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 2: Marcus Thompson of The Athletic covers it all. Obviously does a ton of Warriors. He's done that for years and years and years, but also focuses on the 49ers who are in the news. After Jed York gets arrested for a $ 140 solicitation of prostitution and pleads no contest, does the whole deal, pays the fines, it's done, it's dusted, it's over. The question is what will be the lingering effect on the ownership structure, et cetera, et cetera. Plus, you know, they got to beat the Rams week one. So, Marcus, good morning. Welcome back to Murph and Marcus. How you doing, man?
Speaker 3: What up, Marcus?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 3: I only got 120.
Speaker 4: So I guess I'm not doing that great. See, there you go. Sorry. My fault.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: Everybody's got them. Everybody's got them. The 140 seems to be a really big focus for people. It really does.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 2: All right, buddy. What does this mean? So Parag Marathe left a couple months ago. Nobody really paid attention to it. And now this. Now we find out the sad news that Jed and Danielle are filed for divorce in May. I don't know, is there something there about the 49ers' ownership structure or the hierarchy, the top of their executive chain being a little unstable?
Speaker 4: I mean, of course it is.
Speaker 3: And especially as we see the constant drama this team goes through, there's a lot of self-inflicted wounds that end up becoming a cloud over their.
Speaker 4: Training camp and leading into their season. And you've got to wonder... If it's.
Speaker 3: Messy up top, it's probably going to be messy trickling down, right? It's going to be messy at the bottom. You always look to ownership. I mean, this team cannot have a peaceful training camp. It's wild. And for this to be the latest thing, it really just shows that I'm sure they want to. I'm sure they're trying, but it just feels like they're incapable of of a peaceful, calm, productive training camp. And now the owner is in it. So yeah, I think all of this stuff starts from up top. That's the first place to go when looking for accountability.
Speaker 5: Marcus, this is an organization that's won five Super Bowls. It should be one of the most well-respected organizations, not just in the NFL, but across the sports landscape. But right now, it doesn't feel like that. With this Jed York situation, with the Kyle Shanahan car accident, you throw in Brandon Ayuk in the substation, it kind of feels like the 49ers are being viewed as a laughingstock right now. How bad of a look is this right now for this 49ers organization?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think this is the worst look, but I do think this matters because.
Speaker 4: They are such a respected franchise.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is one of the the premier franchises in the NFL historically. So I think that's why it's such a big deal. And this is the worst of them all. I mean, the substation, you know, there's a lot of like internet cuckoo behavior, right? So it's almost like, Hey, what are we supposed to do? Except for the fact that they put the, put the, put the stadium there. But, but this is, this is, I mean, a car accident happened, right. And how that was handled. How they came out about it was, you know, a self-inflicted wound and, you know, brought about all of this drama. You know, another sign that they just really bundled these situations. But this is bad. Like, this is where you become the laughingstock, right?
Speaker 4: What is it? Wheat Hill? Wheat? What's the place called?
Speaker 2: Wheat Hill Mobile Park. Wheat Hill Mobile Park.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. Like, this is the type of stuff that ends up, you know, in cartoons and stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, as the joke that doesn't go away.
Speaker 3: Now, we heal this type of stuff that becomes part of, like, the zeitgeist, and now people don't ever forget it. And, you know, it's a cultural phenomenon. So to make this blunder, this type of blunder, in this age, right, in this era, it's probably more embarrassing than it is harmful, but these, you don't really get away from that easily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're right. I mean, with all the car accident and Parag and divorce and this, it's tough, and it trickles down. It does. It does.
Speaker 3: Man, oh, man.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're going to go out to practice today, and they're going to go to Vegas Thursday, and, I mean, we'll see. They'll have to push back against this narrative for sure. Larry Kruger texted in to say he thinks one of the angles is that maybe Kyle and John come out with more job security issues Because stability is what they need now. I mean, I don't know if Kyle and John's jobs were insecure at all.
Speaker 3: I mean, for sure, it would be really hard to make a change in that sense. And if you're doing that, it's like, yeah, you're completely starting over.
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Like, all right, we need a full reset. And that's even more risky because what if you mess that up? It just feels like, to be honest, John Lynch feels like the most stabilizing force in his.
Speaker 4: Relationship with Kyle.
Speaker 3: But you could also talk about how they handle contract situations and somehow that's.
Speaker 4: Always a thing.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, I don't even think it's always a bad thing to tell a player, hey, you're not getting what you need. But when you add all this stuff and you deal with the Brandon Ayoub situation, you know, perhaps everybody has a place where they can tidy up, but that does feel like the most stable part. And probably because it's just directly connected to football, but they still haven't done the thing that they're there for, which has been the Superbowl.
Speaker 4: So like it, it just feels like.
Speaker 3: A lot and there's always something and it's, they're the, they're the franchise that always gives.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So from our perspective, it's great. If they're not winning, if they're not acquiring.
Speaker 4: Big names, Right?
Speaker 3: They're, you know, using pocket change to have a little fun in East Palestine, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Oh, boy.
Speaker 5: Well, Marcus, I know that the path to potentially winning Super Bowl this year starts week one down in Australia, and it sounds like the 49ers could have some reinforcements. They announced this weekend that George Kittle was activated off the PUP list. Now, no guarantees that he plays week one, but after hearing that news this weekend, how would you handicap his odds for playing week one against the Rams?
Speaker 4: I would still... put them pretty low.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a long way to travel and they are spending a week out there. So that maybe that helps some, but then you got to come, you know, you got to make this trek.
Speaker 4: Back and we all know flight ain't really good for recovery.
Speaker 3: So it's a good sign, but you know, it's just based on their history and how, how critical he is and how they seem to be one devastating injury from being derailed, I would guess they would choose caution in this situation. But it is George Kittle, and, you know, to do these violence for breakfast, keeping him off the field might be tough. But I'm saying, hey, relax. Welcome back, but hold off. And it's not like they don't have anything in tight end. Like, you know, Purdy will have somebody to throw the ball to who he feels good about.
Speaker 4: It won't be Kittle, but he'll have something. So, to me... the smart money is on the rest of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could be, could be. We'll see. As Matt Barrows said, your colleague at The Athletic, that the ramp up is going to have to be steep because they leave a week from tomorrow. I mean, that's really soon. And these Achilles injuries, Marcus, I mean, you, I don't know, same in the, think back to, we've talked about this before, I think, but it used to be a career ender and now it happened in January and he's talking about playing in September. Mike Crabtree even came back faster than this and Who was the running back for the Rams? Was it Kyron Williams who came back so fast? Cam Akers. Cam Akers. I mean, man, is that the same in the NBA?
Speaker 4: It's getting there, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, Tatum came back pretty fast, Jason Tatum, after tearing his. You know, Damian Lillard, he took longer, but he was older, right? He was in his late 30s. You know, Klay took a little longer. I think the younger..
Speaker 4: The younger players are recovering faster. It's definitely not. Remember it used to be you're done.
Speaker 3: And, and the other key part, I think we're seeing like, as far as the progress goes is even when you came back, you, you lost a lot and it was noticeable. I think that's, that's a little bit fading too. I think you're seeing athletes come back from Achilles and refinding some pop.
Speaker 4: All right. And still, and not losing some explosiveness. So yeah, That bodes well.
Speaker 3: You know, NFL players are already machines, right? So if anybody can get there, it's them. I remember Jerry Rice broke paradigms about ACLs.
Speaker 4: When he came back.
Speaker 3: So NFL players are built a little different, so I'm not surprised at all.
Speaker 5: Marcus, you just mentioned a name, clay Thompson, and we actually just played sound on our show yesterday of him talking about his recovery from that Achilles injury, but also his decision to sign with the Miami heat after completing the bio with the Dallas Mavericks. How do you think clay Thompson's going to fit in, in Miami on and off the court, Marcus?
Speaker 3: I was about to say, we were talking, we talked about in the arena or I think he's going to fit in well in Miami, right? I think, is there any player more made for Southeast and clay Thompson? It just feels so perfect that Klay is there. If anybody knows how to enjoy the chill vibe of Miami and South Beach, it's Klay Thompson, right? But also, I do think he fits on a basketball court. I think it's a great choice by him because he has the thing they don't have. Like, they need shooters badly.
Speaker 4: They got Bam. They got Giannis.
Speaker 3: I mean, the paint is congested, right? That's the most packed the paint team. Like, everybody will pack the paint, and they need people who can shoot. They lost Norm Powell. So, you know, Andrew Wiggins is a pretty good shooter. He can burn you from three, but he's not somebody who terrifies defenses. Clay out there, man. Clay, you still think, hey, this dude could just go crazy, and he's going to open up the lane for them.
Speaker 4: Like, it was a perfect fit. I think he might even end.
Speaker 3: Up starting because the fit is so good, where in Dallas, you know, he spent a lot of time coming off the bench, and he's trending towards this, all right, off the bench, higher gun. I could see him being so useful for what they have that they start him. And you know Clay want to start, so you know he's still– he still feel like he's one of them guys and he could probably become that in Miami.
Speaker 2: That's, I mean, just love to see, uh, I can't wait for the social media content from, uh, it's going.
Speaker 4: To be lit.
Speaker 3: It's going to be lit. Play, play, deliver the good play.
Speaker 2: Hey, Warriors did make one small transaction. If not small, Brandon Williams, six foot one guard out of Arizona scored 13 a game in Dallas gets to the rim, gets to the line. You like it?
Speaker 4: Absolutely. You know, I.
Speaker 3: Normally like get a little weary about getting guys because they hurt you.
Speaker 4: And Brandon Williams is one of them guys.
Speaker 3: They just couldn't guard. And it's like, man, let's go get this guy because we can't guard him. But in this case, he does the.
Speaker 4: Thing they need.
Speaker 3: He is a put my head down and go get a bucket.
Speaker 4: He's tough. He's physical. This to me is a good pick.
Speaker 3: I think they need it. two or three of these, these type of players, they're not going to move the needle. You're not going to win the press conference, right? You're not going to silence social media. But, man, these players are pretty good, and they have value, and you've seen them.
Speaker 4: You've played against them. So he's good. He's fast. He's athletic. He's young. He can get hot. Like, yeah, no, this is, to me, I like this figure. I like this a lot.
Speaker 3: I think this was a sign of what they, this is the direction I would have went from the beginning.
Speaker 5: Marcus, one last question for you real quick on the Golden State Valkyries, who beat the Minnesota Lynx last night for the first time in franchise history. Now I'm seeing people on social media saying that it's their biggest regular season win ever. Obviously, for those of the audience that don't know, the Minnesota Lynx have the best record in the WNBA. So how significant do you think that win was last night?
Speaker 4: I actually think it was huge.
Speaker 3: Because when you begin bullied by a team, you know, especially, and they just got through celebrating, like on your court, right? And, you know, Minnesota's a team, they talk. Like, you know, Kayla McBride hit the night-night after she hit the big three to basically seal it. Like, you got night-nighted on your own court. To me, that loss on, you know, I think it was Wednesday, put.
Speaker 4: Like a doubt over the Valkyries.
Speaker 3: Probably not in their locker room, but it was like, okay, this is a championship team and you can't beat them. Maybe you're not a championship team yet. So for them to go into Minnesota and beat them and hold them to the lowest total they've had off season, and they didn't have Courtney Williams, but they had, they had, they still had enough. Like that was a, we'll see you in the playoffs type of way. Like if it's one, two, and it comes down to the finals and.
Speaker 4: It's me against you.
Speaker 3: That win will make them feel a whole lot better that they can beat them.
Speaker 4: Because they didn't just beat them. It wasn't luck.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like, oh, it was a fluky win. Man, they made Cheryl Reeves pull a plug with three minutes left.
Speaker 4: She sat the starters.
Speaker 3: Like, that was a resounding response by the Valkyries. And I'm telling you, I don't know if people are paying attention, but Veronica Burton is the most Bay Area point.
Speaker 4: Guard we've ever seen. Like, she..
Speaker 3: I mean, people would love... this woman, man. She does everything on the court. And she was a big reason. She shut down Olivia Miles for the second time this season. Shut down Olivia Miles. And Natalie Nicosia was like, you go at Olivia Miles every time. So not only did she shut her down, she went after her. And this is the type of player that the Bay loves. It's tough as all get out and can play. So that was a monster win that I think has playoff implications, even though it doesn't do much in the standings.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Good stuff. Playoffs don't start until September 27. So we've got a month to go, man. With only five games. They clinched too early. They're like the Dodgers. They clinched too early.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the FIBA World Cup. They've got a FIBA World Cup break.
Speaker 2: Hydration break for the next month. But anyway, we'll be looking forward to that. And you're right. Who knows? Now the Lynx have a little seed of doubt in their heads.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Wide-ranging chat, Marcus and, you know, dude. Stay out of the Wheat Hill mobile home community.
Speaker 3: I promise you, I promise you it won't be 140 for me. It could be 1,000. If I ever go that route, which I won't, but if I ever did, uh-uh.
Speaker 2: They're calling it San Francisco 149ers. There you.
Speaker 4: Go, buddy. Oh, boy.
Speaker 3: All right, Marcus.
Speaker 4: Be good. We'll be reading you.
Speaker 3: Thanks, man.
Speaker 4: All right. Peace.
Speaker 2: He's laughing. All right. We'll finish up. We don't have to talk about jet all the time. We can talk about Turner Hill hitting cleanup or, uh, you guys, uh, what you discovered at the ballpark last night or Kinley Rasmus is curveball. Talk a little four wing action at the ballpark.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or Padres owners or things like that. Uh, just a fun finish to the show coming up. Oh, we got tickets to, to sticks and Chicago was Bobby and pleasant Hill who won yesterday. Who can win today? You gotta hear a Styx or Chicago song, though. Don't be calling until you hear a Styx or a Chicago song.