Speaker 1: It is the John Phillip Show. Johnny's back on Monday. It's Randy Wang here and the phone number to join us is eight hundred two two two five two two two one eight hundred two two two five two two two. Your emails at Johnny Don't Like show at gmail dot com and search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts. Julie Watts is an incredible reporter for CBS Sacramento.
Speaker 2: In case you.
Speaker 1: Don't know the name, you'll know her work because Julie Watts was the reporter responsible for the interview that well pretty much ended Katie Porter's gubernatorial aspirations.
Speaker 3: Well to those voters, Okay, so you I don't want to keep doing this, I'm gonna call it.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna do the interview with them?
Speaker 1: Nope, not like this.
Speaker 4: I'm not not with seven follow ups to every single question you ask.
Speaker 1: Now, that wasn't Julie's intention, but Katie Porter kind of shut herself in the with how she handled a very straightforward interview, an interview that Julie did with several other candidates. Well, Julie Watts is the investigative reporter for CBS Sacramento, and her pieces get carried on the other CBS stations in California, So you'll see her pieces on KPIX in the Bay, on CBSLA in Los Angeles, and of course on Channel thirteen in Sacramento. And she's done quite a great piece here showing us how the California legislature and of course the California governor and this is true for our current elected class and former elected classes never ever ever listen to good advice. See, there's a lot of dumb things that California does. And you can assume, okay, well we didn't know any better because we've got a bunch of morons in Sacramento. Or you can look at the fact that we have regular audits of our departments, where reports are put out, where failures in departments are highlighted, and then the legislature does nothing about them at that point. That is willful negligence and that is not being mindful.
Speaker 5: That is something we are mindful of.
Speaker 1: What am I talking about? Listen to this report from Julie Watts on CBS Sacramento.
Speaker 6: You're the best, Okay, so the information.
Speaker 4: Then my question to you is, are you okay with the audit.
Speaker 3: Then the California State Auditor is supposed to be the state's early Oh.
Speaker 2: Boy, you hear that music? That means it sweeps weak.
Speaker 3: The California State Auditor is supposed to be the state's early warning system. Is that safe for folks to drink?
Speaker 6: It's within the state guidelines.
Speaker 3: When government programs fail, the cost worth it when money is wasted.
Speaker 7: California has spent twenty four billion dollars to tackle homelesses.
Speaker 5: When fraud goes up.
Speaker 2: There's a big one.
Speaker 1: We have people who are paid to constantly audit the state government, and the auditors come out with reports and actions that we should take to stop making these mistakes, and the legislature doesn't do anything about it.
Speaker 7: California has spent twenty four billion dollars to tackle homelessness.
Speaker 5: When fraud goes unchecked. That's according to a state audit just out.
Speaker 3: Lawmaker's request, and auditis reports indicate a state auditor investigates, sendels agencies and lawmakers what needs to change.
Speaker 5: The answer I received is this is as good as we can do.
Speaker 3: But it turns out lawmakers in this building have failed to act on most of those recommendations.
Speaker 1: Then why are we paying for the auditors. You have a lot of departments that are incredibly inefficient, a lot of departments that are completely wasting money, money that's not accounted for at all, like the homeless budget. If we're doing audits and the audit show where government can improve, why would we not take them up on that?
Speaker 3: But it turns out lawmakers in this building have failed to act on most of those recommendations, recommendations that you paid for. We're talking government waste from public safety concerns that we're allowed to continue for years after the auditor identified solutions. CBS News California analyzed a decade of state audits and we found your lawmakers failed to act on three out of four recommendations. So year after year, the auditor attracks the same problems, same in action, costing California billions.
Speaker 1: For instance, three out of four reports coming from our state auditor showing that there are failings within the government led to zero action from the legislature. Because they know better, they know what they're doing, they don't need to have any kind of check. And by the way, this is not unique to Sacramento. Look at what we just discovered last week with the major arrest of that crooked homeless nonprofit guy, the guy from Abundant Benefits or whatever it was called, who was pocketing millions of dollars to live a lavish lifestyle while the homeless he was in charge of taking care of. We're getting ramen noodles. That was originally uncovered by the city's auditor, Kenneth Mahea, the controller, and I got to imagine he flagged it to the city. Did the city do anything about it? Did the city change protocol? Did the city cut off the funding. No, it had to wait until the DA and then the Feds got involved. So this is a very California thing. We have people who are paid to make sure our government is running efficiently and we're not wasting money or I don't know, giving it to criminals and we don't care, or are elected if leaders don't care. But then we're the ones that put those elected leaders in office, so maybe we don't care either.
Speaker 3: For instance, remember this continuing to pay unemployment sturms benefits.
Speaker 2: Within three weeks within twenty one days. If it's three weeks, then why haven't I been paid yet?
Speaker 3: It's estimating California lost twenty billion dollars, a pandemic unemployment fraud.
Speaker 1: Oh remember that one, I remember it. Look, twenty twenty was a dark time for everybody. Well, I did get married in twenty twenty, so it wasn't all bad. Became a homeowner. Traffic was really good. You know, those were some great days, Tiger King. No, of course, it was a disaster for everybody, and there was so much uncertainty in the air. And even working as an essential employee at a radio station, you know, we weren't we weren't immune from all the effects of the economy. You know, obviously people aren't going to be advertising as much radio revenue went weighed down. I was furloughed for three weeks of the year twenty twenty. I think John was two, and a whole bunch of people. It was like a company wide thing in all five hundred radio stations. And the thing was, Okay, if you're gonna get furloughed, that means you can apply for one week's worth of unemployment here and one week's of unemployment there. And yeah, that system was a nightmare to navigate. By the way, the overly generous unemployment payments incentivize certain companies to furlough people. Just pointing that out, but the legitimate process of getting those unemployment checks was a nightmare, and we took calls so many days from so many people that could not get a hold of ed D. There was literally a Reddit thread going on of people hiring people to stand on hold with EDD. And at the same time, EDD was writing checks left and right to criminals and fraudsters using fake SoC security numbers. Notably, somebody used the social Security number of Scott Peterson who was in prison. And according to one anecdotal story from mister John Phillips, a lot of these criminals took their money to Vegas, to expensive state houses steakhouses, paid for their meals with EDD and were too cheap to tip. We saw people renting cars in Beverly Hills, luxury vehicles. We saw so much irresponsible spending. Again, how did no one ever get fired over this? Not even Julie Sue, who was the head of California's labor department now then got promoted to the Biden administration, not officially, and now isn't she working for Mom Donnie. Nobody got fired over the fact that this state gave out twenty billion dollars to criminals.
Speaker 3: Twenty billion dollars a pandemic unemployment, fraud, money California paid to criminals well out of work. California's struggled to survive all.
Speaker 8: Forty times, six hundred and thirty two times, Try again later.
Speaker 3: Back then, we asked the auditor, Elaine Howell, if the EDD had complied with your previous do you think we'd be in a situation right now?
Speaker 1: There would still be some issues at EDD, but certainly not as severe as they are now. But what as California supposed to listen to the advice of the people that are auditing our departments, Like the failures at EDD and.
Speaker 3: Years later brought its indicate fraud continues while the legislature continues not to take action.
Speaker 1: We've got some real documentary level music on this thing, because this is how pathetic our elected leaders are now. There could be a lot of reasons for this term. Limits might be one of them because the people who are in the legislature now weren't even in the legislature a few years ago. Because it's a constant revolving door of moving to this office, moving back to local, moving back to state it's it hasn't really worked the way it was intended. But ultimately you also have one party rule. You have a legislature that feels very invincible in their anonymity, that nobody really knows who they are. As long as they have the right letter next to their name on the ballot, they're going to get in. They're going to stay in, they're going to move around. They've got the endorsements of the unions, they've got the money from the lobbyists. It doesn't matter how they actually run the state's government. And when you have auditors that are saying, hey, here's ways you can prevent billions of dollars of abuse and fraud and they're ignoring it, well, it suddenly starts to make sense. How the budget for this state has gone up every single year massively, but we're always still in a deficit.
Speaker 3: And years later broudits indicate fraud continues while the legislature continues not to take action.
Speaker 5: This is our state capital and this is not humane. We also found years of homelessness audits.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Gavin doesn't want to hear about that. Remember how the legislature to give them a tiny piece of credit unanimously supported a bill that would audit where the twenty billion dollars of homeless funding went over the last five years, and then Gavin vetoed it.
Speaker 3: We also found years of homelessness audits repeating the same core warnings and recommendations, culminating in more than twenty billion spent on homelessness without a state wide plan or accountability.
Speaker 5: Mustion doupos appropriations.
Speaker 3: But again and again lawmakers killed the recommended legislation behind closed doors without a public vote.
Speaker 1: Now, why would we ever want to make sure that we weren't wasting money on homelessness unless you know the point is to be funding our friends in, our donors and these crooked heads of nonprofits. I mean, if the point is that it's all a giant grift and none of the money actually reaches skid Row in Los Angeles or the tenderloin in San Francisco, all right, I guess that's it. And we keep electing the same people who keep throwing this money away and not really helping anybody. Well, that one's on us.
Speaker 3: But this is about much more than money. For instance, the art found water districts failing to tell people that they're drinking water was unsafe.
Speaker 1: I mean, the same water districts that keep jacking up the water rates.
Speaker 5: An issue we've been covering for years.
Speaker 4: For how long have they done that? How long have they they known that TC has been in the water but left it off of an annual report that's supposed to be given to the public. TCE The number one cancer causing it of TCE is kidney cancer. That's what my son had.
Speaker 8: Liver cancer is the second.
Speaker 4: That's what my neighbor died of.
Speaker 8: So why did we not know?
Speaker 5: The UITs?
Speaker 1: Like Aaron Brockovich all over again. But instead of PG and E, it's our state agencies that are ignoring dangerous threats even when they're presented to them.
Speaker 5: The auditor push for more disclosure years ago.
Speaker 9: It's been horrible, it's so painful.
Speaker 5: As wild buyers can.
Speaker 1: There are so many problems going on in this state, and it sure seems like our elected leaders through the Assembly, the State Senate, and of course Gavin Newsom, instead of addressing those and shining light on those, let sweep them all under the rug.
Speaker 3: As wild buyers continue to destroy unities, We found lawmakers taking no action on auditor recommended oversight laws one of more than three hundred outstanding audit recommendations on more than one hundred different issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and wildfire would be a pretty big one, considering how many massive destructive wildfires have happened since Gavin Newsom took office.
Speaker 3: Relating to law enforcement, courts, healthcare, hate crimes, untested rape kits, they even failed to act on policies that put child abuse victims at risk.
Speaker 1: You know, what does this legislature actually do? You know, it's we pass a whole bunch of new laws, We act all important. We don't care about how any of it is implemented, and we don't care how any of our departments are run. It is, and you know, the sooths there Shang Tao told us all about this.
Speaker 5: The bureaucracy is real.
Speaker 1: Nobody is held, to use everyone's favorite word, accountable for any of this when we're not even paying attention to state audits.
Speaker 10: You know, it's why we do the job.
Speaker 3: We caught up with one of the new shairs of the Joint Legislative Audit Committee, which instructs the auditor to conduct these audits. Why are we paying for these audits if the legislature isn't acting on them.
Speaker 5: I mean, what's a reaction to that.
Speaker 10: I think that being new to the legislature the past year and now being the chair of the Joint Legislative Audit Committee, I am keenly focused on oversight.
Speaker 2: That was saying nothing. He said completely nothing.
Speaker 8: Something.
Speaker 1: Ben thought, of course he's new, maybe he'll be different, maybe something.
Speaker 3: Remember Hairbedian is one of more than thirty new California lawmakers this session.
Speaker 10: When I hear that there are many audits and recommendations from those audits that haven't been addressed, I think that's a wake up call.
Speaker 3: The warnings are written, the solutions identified. The question is will the new class of lawmakers finally finish what their predecessors started investigative journalism.
Speaker 6: What you're doing is important, it's important.
Speaker 1: You don't need to kiss her ass. We know what she's doing is important. And ultimately, here's what needs to be done, because the elected leaders will only do what they're shamed into doing. When we're gonna need more, Julie Watts is out there. When there is an audit, a damning audit, it needs to be made public. If there are failures in the EDD that led to the twenty billion dollars maybe thirty billion dollars of fraud.
Speaker 2: We should know what that is.
Speaker 1: What are the failures and the way the state manages brush and it's led to wildfires? What are the failures we should know? We should be open and honest about it. Stop telling us that everything is great in this state when it's not.
Speaker 10: It's important because it keeps everyone accountable and at highlights issues that might not be on my radar any anyone else's radar that I serve will and so keep doing where you're doing.
Speaker 5: Oh, we will.
Speaker 3: For CBS News California Investigates, I'm Julie Watts.
Speaker 1: Make sure you follow Julie Watts on social media, who, by the way, I felt like so cool she follow me today. She didn't even know I was gonna do this story, but uh, I think she's great. We have some really great investigative reporters on television in California. Julie Watts is great. Ashley Zavala is incredible on kc ra A three. She covers Sacramento like nobody else. We have some really, really, really great people. Now, I'm sure there are probably some good newspaper people. That's not how I get my news. I am a visual and audio learner. I'm not much of a reader. That's how I get all the news that I bring to you is I listen to all of these things on YouTube and those are two of the best we have. The phone number to join us is eight hundred two two two five two two two one eight hundred two two two five two two two, And boy do I have a great pair of tickets for you that rhymed seven ninety KABC welcomes Luke Brian the Word on the Street Tour at the Long Beach Amphitheater August fifteenth. Tickets are on sale next Friday at ticketmaster dot com. But right now, collar number nine at one eight eight eight seven ninety five two two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. Tickets furnished by Live Nation. Good luck dialing, and you know what's really exciting. A week from Friday is already gonna be our second big live remote of the year.
Speaker 2: How exciting is this? Everyone?
Speaker 1: Come join us for a live broadcast at one of our favorite places, Gladstone's in Long Beach, Friday, February sixth, from noon to three. We're heading to Gladstones in Long Beach for our next live broadcast, and you're invited. You're gonna enjoy great food, good vibes, excellent drink, and a fun afternoon by the water. John saying, meister is gonna take care of you. Now. We're gonna have a lot of special guests at this event, including our friend Susan Shelley from the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association. She'll tell you more about your taxpayer rights and protecting Prop thirteen. The courts have made it easier to raise your taxes. You remember that story we did yesterday about how San Diego, through the unions is doing a citizens initiative to raise the sales tax in November. Well, the reason say citizens initiative is because that means you need a simple majority instead of two thirds that was established by Prop thirteen. This technicality is making it easier for everyone to raise your taxes. And it's why you need to go to the website Saveprop thirteen dot com, print out that petition, send it in or bring it in person to Gladstone's in Long Beach. Susan needs all those signatures by February seventeenth, So if you've already done it, thank you. Get your friends to do it, your neighbors to do it. If everyone listening to this show got ten ten people to sign that petition, we would have the signatures that we needed.
Speaker 2: We need to.
Speaker 1: Get this thing on the ballot. Otherwise all that's going to be on the Neember ballot is a bunch of insane tex increases. So we need you to come by, hang out with us, be part of the broadcast. It's the John Phillips Show live at Gladstone's in Long Beach Friday, February sixth, from noon to three. And we do get a lot of emails from our Bay Area listeners, and we love all of you at KSFO. We are dying to do a remote up there. Two things that we need to make it happen are a venue and a sponsor. So if you know anybody that is interested in bringing us up to the Bay, if you've got a venue, if you've get a restaurant, a bar, what have you, we're dying to go up there. Get in touch with us. We'll get you in touch with our sales department. Email us at Johnny Don't like show at gmail dot com. These events really are not that expensive to put on, but we really want to be up there. We love the Bay Area, We love this whole state. So emailis Johnny, don't like show at gmail dot com. All right, For this next story, We're heading to a gem of Los Angeles, MacArthur Park, a place so famous they even wrote a song about it.
Speaker 6: Or fling, someone left.
Speaker 2: The cake in the ring. Thanks for the assist, Cecily.
Speaker 1: MacArthur Park is the Los Angeles equivalent to the Tenderloin. It is the open air drug den. It is a park where not a lot of children get to play, not a lot of families get to have picnics. But it is a park that visit been completely taken over by gangs and drug dealers. It is the park that is right next to Langers Deli, which has gotten the of Langer's Norm Langer to constantly threaten that he might need to close his business because his employees don't feel safe and it's not really easy to do business in that part of town when there's all kinds of illegal street vending going on. MacArthur Park is the place you go to in Los Angeles if you want a stolen Social Security Guard card and a whole bunch of other things. And MacArthur Park has a lot of crime. Now, you may remember La City council Woman Unices.
Speaker 5: Hernandez, quite frankly.
Speaker 1: Putting forward a task force to deal with the crisis in MacArthur Park. Yes, this was about a week before the Palisades fire, so nobody remembers it. But she held this press conference where she announced all of this money, some of it coming from the city, some of it coming from the county, some coming from the state to fund all of these nonprofits to clean up MacArthur Are we gonna get it? And one of those nonprofits was Homeless Healthcare Los Angeles, a nonprofit that I will never stop talking about because they get city and county and state and probably federal money too to pass out meth pipes. Well, Unisses wanted to hire them to drive around MacArthur Park in golf carts passing out drug paraphernalia. It's been over a year now, is MacArthur Park any safer than before Unisses PLoP three million dollars into it?
Speaker 2: No, it is not.
Speaker 8: You know, you can't get well in a cell, you.
Speaker 1: Also can't get well at MacArthur Park. Now, this has led certain activists like John Ally of the Santa Monica Coalition, who happens to own a lot of properties around there, to start to make a little bit of a ruckus because the situation in MacArthur Park is embarrassing and we're supposed to invite the world here in just a couple of months. So he wanted to organize because of requests of people that they look into the lake in MacArthur Park for possible weapons, for possible evidence of crime, and even possible missing bodies. And this, I'll call it a stunt. It's a great stunt, but it's a stunt. Was shut down by unicices Hernandez and Karen Bass because the last thing they need is somebody dredging up a body from the bottom of MacArthur Park. For more on this one, we got a Fox eleven and Fox eleven's Hazard Pay Reporter of the Year, Matthew Seedorf. Whether it is an underground tunnel where they're stealing cars and there's no light, they said, Matthew Seedorf. A mosquito infestation in El Segundo, they said, Matthew Seedorf. This guy has to go to all the dangerous locales. I'm guessing he signs up for it. But let's hear what's going on at MacArthur Park.
Speaker 7: Only on Fox eleven. A local business man says park rangers threatened him with arrest as he planned to to place.
Speaker 2: Wait a second, hold on a second already.
Speaker 1: If you want to know how insane this story is, there is open air drug dealing every single day in MacArthur Park. There is open air drug use every single day in MacArthur Park. Gaines gangs operate with impunity in MacArthur Park. But the park rangers want to arrest the businessman that wants to see if there's any dead bodies in the lake. This is Los Angeles and elections have consequences. And when a very small percentage of people that actually voted in Council District one voted for unses Hernandez, Yes, this is how bad it was going to get.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Was it already bad under GUILSIDEO yes, but that district has gotten a hell of a lot worse does.
Speaker 7: He planned to deploy sonar in MacArthur Park. Lake says the goal was to investigate rumors of weapons and possibly human remains beneath the water.
Speaker 1: By the way, just politically, tactically speaking, shutting down. His little stunt made it much bigger than it probably would have been. Who knows what would have been in there, if anything, But now this has become al Capone's vault, and we got to see.
Speaker 7: Fox Loves Matthew Cedar for Live at the Park with one Matthew Well Christine.
Speaker 11: We actually had to move our live shot further away from MacArthur Park because it wasn't safe there.
Speaker 1: Tonight Matthew Seedorf, who again is the hazard pay reporter for Fox eleven, could not even do the live shot from MacArthur Park because because that park is so dangerous. This is the same park where Karen Baz took a victory lapse, saying the park is so much safer than it used to be.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's as bad as it ever has been. Because we don't want to do anything about the open air drug den I don't know why this is such a uniquely California problem.
Speaker 2: Well I do.
Speaker 1: Prop forty seven has a lot to do with it, and Prop thirty six is not being properly funded. That being said, I don't care anymore if we're not funding the rehab aspect of it. Every single person who is sparkling up a meth pipe one provided to them by the City of Los Angeles needs to be arrested. Every single drug dealer there needs to be arrested. And we know where the gang members are, including the five that got shot a year ago.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: What are we doing? You know where all the crime is, but we're going to make sure we threaten to arrest the guy that wants to see what's in the lake.
Speaker 11: Well, Christine, we actually had to move our live shot further away from MacArthur Park because it wasn't safe there tonight.
Speaker 6: Whatever is in that lake remains a mystery.
Speaker 2: It's the Luckness Monster. I tell you.
Speaker 6: Sad sights and sounds of LA's MacArthur Park.
Speaker 1: It is the soundtrack to southern California. I know you thought it was k Earth one oh one.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 11: Sirens blaring, people passed out in open drug use in almost every direction.
Speaker 1: So mean, seriously, why are we inviting all of these major international events too, and some of them within close proximity to this hell hole of a park. Shouldn't be that should be a gem. And Unisy's Hernandez is an interesting case too, because she talks about MacArthur Park a lot, and she says, the big injustice with MacArthur Park isn't the drug dealing. It isn't the crime, It isn't the gangs, It isn't the selling of Social Security cards. No, it's that Wilshire Boulevard splits it in half, and we should close that.
Speaker 2: Because you know, too many cars.
Speaker 9: So many people.
Speaker 1: But you know what this is who votes in Los Angeles, and it is why I am actively thinking about getting out. You know, it was up to me, i'd be doing this show from Santa Fe this week. I would never come back, but I'd probably have to live in La County or southern California for quite a while. For the Bay Area, I cannot afford the Bay Area. I'd love to do, would love to be in the Bay Area, But actively I am thinking about leaving the city of Los Angeles because I'm out numbered with the amount of nonsense that participates in our elections. The other cities in La County are not this crazy Santa Monica. Outside of that, El Segundo, common sense, Burbank common sense, Calabasas Commons, Pasadena common sense.
Speaker 2: I gotta go.
Speaker 8: So many people come here to get high.
Speaker 6: At night, what kind of drugs do you see out here?
Speaker 5: A lot of like crystal fednah.
Speaker 6: Fox eleven excrusively.
Speaker 1: And when you hear Unisses talk about this park, she'll constantly talk about how this is the only green space in the most densely packed part of Los Angeles, which makes it an even bigger indictment that she doesn't want to clean it up?
Speaker 8: How dare you?
Speaker 1: And by the way, little history lesson for you. You know how MacArthur Park got to be so horrible over the last few years, it's because the open air drug scene used to be at MacArthur Park metro station, the scariest metro station in the entire city, maybe the whole world. And then news cameras from CBSLA and Fox eleven and NBC four and ABC seven got tips that they should go down there, they should see what's in that metro station, and it was everything that you're hearing about right now, but in this confined space that was supposed to be for public transit, and Metro got so embarrassed that they blasted loud classical music, they turned on the bright lights, they made it a one entry, one exit station, and they cleared everyone out of there, and where did they clear them to? Well, MacArthur Park, be Fox. It's pretty much this park is the LA equivalent of the third season of The Wire, where let's just push everything to this one awful neighborhood and they can just do whatever they want there. It's Hamsterdam all over again.
Speaker 11: Bet No Fox eleven exclusively walking to park Monday night with businessman John Alley. Okay, hours after LA park rangers threatened to arrest him for trying to use sonar in the park's wake core.
Speaker 1: This is an arrestable offense, but the illegal activity that goes on in that park every single day is not. That is everything you need to know about the city of Los Angeles.
Speaker 6: What were you thinking could be in there?
Speaker 9: Well, we've been told dead bodies.
Speaker 1: Not a laughing matter, But I mean at times like this you can't help but not laugh.
Speaker 11: Ali has helped relocate dozens of LA's homeless back to families out of state.
Speaker 1: If you ever want to, He's privately funding his own San Francisco Homeward Bound project.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 9: If you ever want to reunify with your family or hometown, but says recently, some have reached out searching for missing loved ones last scene near the park kids have gone missing. The police have been very helpful. They've said some of them could be in the water.
Speaker 1: And now that Ed Buck is in prison, we know they're not at his house.
Speaker 9: They've said some of them could be in the water, strapped to wheelchairs, bikes, wheels thrown in.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I can see why Karen Bass and Unissi's Hernandez do not want a sonar inside that lake. The corpses in that lake right now, and that won't look very good for re election season for Unisses or for Karen Bass, although.
Speaker 2: Who are we kidding? At this point, I think they're both gonna win.
Speaker 6: But park rangers shut down the operation before the sonar hit the water, instead giving the search team a parking ticket in a park plagued by crime.
Speaker 9: It's a devil standard. It's they don't want to ever face bad news.
Speaker 11: A spokesperson for councilwoman Unices Hernandez tells Fox eleven. Organizers were warned in advance that sonar could not be used without a permit.
Speaker 1: And do the meth heads have a permit for smoking on the park property? Do the people selling stolen social security numbers. Do they have a permit? How about all the illegal street vendors that are there. You know, the MacArthur Park is not only the LA equivalent of the tenderloin, it's also the LA equivalent of the Mission where, thanks to state law that was written by Ricardo Laura.
Speaker 8: I'm very kind of sketch.
Speaker 1: Lawn four cannot do anything about selling stolen goods because La County and San Francisco County opted into Ricardo Lara's law, which was some nonsensical thing to have to do with immigration. So public Health has to intervene when people are selling stolen goods at MacArthur Park, the same way public works has to intervene when people are selling stolen goods in the Mission.
Speaker 6: And this morning authorities stepped into.
Speaker 1: While we do this show, our two great cities are tied together by idiocy.
Speaker 11: And this morning authorities stepped in to stop the unpermitted operation.
Speaker 9: We were told we didn't need a permit, and we organized this six weeks ago.
Speaker 11: The park's surrounded by people who need help in a murky lake for now keeping its secrets.
Speaker 8: W greatcha know what's under it?
Speaker 1: As cond I mean they've only drawn more attention to the story by denying the sonar.
Speaker 11: John says he wants to work with the city to get that permit and get back out there. Forty lacksign Matthew or Fox lovenoos.
Speaker 1: So there you go. That is the latest from MacArthur Park. A complete embarrassment of every single level of government in the city of Los Angeles, even the police chief who says he's cracking down on crime. Great, we've arrested a few gang members, but we see it out there in the open every single day.
Speaker 2: Donna Summer, can you play us out?
Speaker 8: He's merton promising in the ray.
Speaker 1: Thanks Eily, and if you'd like to email us, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny. Don't like show at gmail dot com. Justin writes in and says I cover this area and do real estate research. He sent picture it's like a monet. Looks good from a far but a total mess up close. There are zombies guarding every entrance to the park. It's dangerous. Avoid this area at all costs. Do not bring children. Follow me on Instagram for daily photos of La n Oc and you can follow him Justin pb Photography and I just did Cami Rights in at Johnny Don't Like show at gmail dot com. I'm MacArthur Park. This is what the athletes and the tourists for the Olympics need to know about. This is the real LA, not the shined up penny idiot Bass is trying to sell. LA doesn't deserve the Olympics. Please do a show on that. That's a great idea for a topic. By the way, I did this on my five o'clock show on KABC yesterday, which you could download the podcast at KABC dot com or search for the KABC News Blitz wherever you get your podcasts. Do you know that caltrans is spending your taxpayer dollars to put up graffiti resistant ivy on the sides of the one to one Freeway in downtown LA? And because it's Coltrands, guess what the graffiti resistant ivy got tagged by graffiti.
Speaker 2: You can't make this up.
Speaker 1: The Fixed California Hour is coming up next, and oh boy, am I excited. One of my favorites is gonna join us. Marla Tea's anchor at Fox eleven. You'll hear her next. It's Randy Wang here on The John Phillips Show.