Speaker 1: It's the Giants and the Reds on this beautiful San Francisco Wednesday. Dave Fleming alongside the Giants manager, Tony Vitello. Man, it's so nice outside. I was riding my bike down to the ballpark today. I rode through North Beach. I started thinking about you. Your job is so much different than mine, so much busier and more demanding than mine. Have you had a chance to have some routines around the city, some places you like to stop in?
Speaker 2: Have you.
Speaker 1: I know this year has been such a whirlwind for you, but here we are at the end of August. Have you gotten to know San Francisco a little well?
Speaker 2: A little bit, and I mean, somewhat familiar back in the day, coming to the park and going to the wharf and doing Alcatraz and all that. The one thing about San Francisco, I just haven't as much. I mean, it's a little easier. The other day I was thinking, how much better shape would I be in if we had more wins? You know, you got more energy and attitude to work out, and you're more likely to go celebrate with a dinner or something. Um, so not nearly as much as I would like to, but the one thing I've said about the city to any friends or visitors is what an unbelievable place this would be to live. First of all, because of it's a great city, but if you have a nine to five job or something similar, the areas that surround San Francisco, whether it's Healdsburg, Napa, Sonoma, Sausalito is kind of San Francisco, um, going South to Carmel and Monterey where I've spent a lot of time, Palo Alto, um, It really is a phenomenal area. The thing that make it even better are the people. Just had a visitor from the south where they think Southern Hospitality, they're the greatest people on earth. And my friend just couldn't stop talking about how friendly and down to earth everybody is in this area. So it's a great place and we need to win more games so I get more familiar.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. That's a good plan for the rest of this year and for next year as well. All right, let's focus on some baseball because there is some news today. I guess Some of the biggest news is we found out that you flip-flopped Landon Roop and Logan Webb. So Webb goes today. Can you give us some insight into why that happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was just a little bit more about not necessarily about strategy against another team or any other insight. It was really just about the routine in between starts that those two had going on. So one, you know, Roop definitely wanted to be able to do what he did. On the mound, he usually has a little bit more time between his bullpen and his start than Webby does. So it worked out easily just through communication with those guys. So definitely a flip, but nothing crazy strategy-wise.
Speaker 1: And I have to think that Logan was antsy to get back out there. The way that I know he was disappointed, the way that start at Fenway went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just awkward, and he admitted he felt out of sorts. I think we could have maybe done some better things as a group. The pitch calling or playing on a couple of the hitters was something where he shook a couple extra times. Just nothing was really in sync. Grip on the ball was awkward. You saw the one ball go to the backstop. So you hate the phrase one of those days because you're kind of succumbing to not performing at your best. But when you're in the big leagues as long as Webby, you're going to have some phenomenal outings and you're going to have some not so good ones. But the huge chunk of what's in the middle of those is, a guy who's gritty out there and he gets you a chance to win a ball game. And that's what we're looking for today.
Speaker 1: So true.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We'll have more with the Giants manager right after this. Back here with Tony Vitello. It's game three of this three game series, Giants and the Reds. We talked about Webb going today. Man, it just feels like the injury thing is just snowballed on your team here over the last few weeks. And we had another one last night. Adrian Hauser comes out of the game. It felt like a carbon copy from the night before with Wisenhut, do you have any new info or update on Hauser? Yeah.
Speaker 2: In order to answer, I'd, I'd throw out, um, you know, a mild flexor strain. Um, so we'll see if that's an IL stent, if it's even longer, um, do they get a second look and there's even more. So just kind of saying it with caution and yet being able to give you an update that was more of a, not one pitch thing. Like some injuries can be more of a, He admitted towards the end of the first inning started to kind of be tight on him, and it's something that's popped up, too, a few times in weeks past. So just a general feeling of tightness that he felt, and it popped up on him. So hopefully he's in the clear after some rest.
Speaker 1: I mean, he or you and I are sitting, it's still well before first pitch time. Do you anticipate maybe adding somebody before the game today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Roxby's here, and he more than likely will fill that slot. Probably as soon as we're done, that's something we'll check up on. His flight was delayed, which we got to do better commercial flights. It's like automatic these days. So he literally just arrived. He'll get stretched and do his routine and more than likely be available for us today and kind of help carry the load through the rest of this week, especially with that doubleheader on Saturday.
Speaker 1: I know we're out of time, but I can't let the show go without at least saying one quick word about Rafi Devers and the job he's doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, man, he's in that back foot really good in the swing. His swing is so gorgeous. Effort is the enemy. Everyone's fighting in the sport of baseball, especially, obviously, in other sports, too. But he looks really good at the plate. I think he's kind of embracing this role of, don't tell him I said this, but I got another guy I coached who's only 32, and everyone on the White Sox call him Grandpa, Rafi's old teammate, Benintendi. So he's kind of embracing the role of, I jokingly say grandpa, but just the veteran who can lead these guys and that needs to go out and play. And maybe it's bringing the best out of him. I think it was bringing some good things out of Willie. It'll be fun to watch how he leads these young guys the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Just between you and me, I won't tell him. That's the Giants manager. Tony Vitello will get ready for the game right after this.