Speaker 1: Some thing's not right. Your crime is up all over the state.
Speaker 2: Is out of control.
Speaker 3: The economy is six, taxes are high, housing is expensive, and businesses are leaving. Leaving California means fixing, and John Phillips is just the man to leave the charge. It's the Fix California Hour with John Phillips and Randy.
Speaker 1: Wag And we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on The John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 2: Johnny, we're broadcasting live on the radio on seven ninety KABC and eight ten KSFO, and we're also broadcasting live on video every single day at Johnny don't like dot Com. It works on your browser, it works on your phone. Johnny don't like dot Com. Takes you right to the YouTube channel where we hope you subscribe. We're almost at four thousand subscribers, which is a free thing. You just get it all on your feet on YouTube, hit the light button and hit the bell and you'll be notified every single time that we do one of these live broadcasts, which is every single day from noon to three. We're here in studio. You can check us out watch the videos along with us and of course play around in the chat room, which is so lively I can barely keep track of it.
Speaker 1: And once we hit five thousand subscribers, we're going to do a podcast live from the most polluted waterway in all of North America.
Speaker 2: You can smell, Yes, that is the new challenge. When we get to five thousand subscribers on this channel, We're gonna do a live broadcast from the Tijuana River.
Speaker 1: You know, I might have to start licking doorknobs before we go down there so I get COVID again and lose my sense of smell.
Speaker 2: See us suffer by doing a live broadcast from the Tijuana River Valley. Subscribe the podcast. Tell all your friends Johnny, don't like dot com?
Speaker 1: Let's see where can I buy a hazmat suit? Do they have eBay and Trenobyl? Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. She is the Professor of Political Science emeritus at California State University at Fullerton. Professor Barbara Stone, Welcome.
Speaker 4: Good afternoon, mister Phillips.
Speaker 1: Well thank you so much for joining us today. So let's start out by talking about the leadership shake up in Sacramento, where the Republican Party in California in the Assembly specifically, they specifically pick these people to lead the caucus who seem to act as an arm of the Democratic Party, an arm of the majority, where whenever the Democrats need their votes on something controversial, they make sure that there are a certain number of Republicans that provide them the votes that they need, so vulnerable Democrats can either abstain or vote know so it's not used against them when they run for reelection. Most recently it was Heath Flora out of the Central Valley who just got dumped. But there's been some variation of that type of person in that job at some point or another for a very long time. Before him. It was Marie Waldron, it was Chad Mays, it was Christian Olsen. They all kind of did the same thing. How is it that the Republican Party ends up with some version of that person in that position when certainly their voters aren't there.
Speaker 4: First of all, start with the fact that there are so few republic Lincoln's and Sacramento. Okay, so you somehow need to walk through what these people can and cannot accomplish. I guess I look at it. The Democrats love, as you just said, to be able to claim there was bipartisan support for this and relieve some of their members perhaps of having to vote for it a lot of times, and in the most recent case, John, I don't know enough, but they'll do it somewhere where. Yeah, it's a tax hike, but it's something that the members constituents probably want, or at least important people in their district probably want, and or they talk themselves into it and then they either hold on or they turn to Democrats, which several particular in San Diego have done. So I guess where I'm coming from and not explaining it well is when you have no power, you can either go the way of hey, look we're the resistance, or you can go, hey, there's a group and there are several members who will do this. Let's find things that are good enough that I can promote it so that the bipartisan stuff includes some Democrats. Or you can claim to yourself that you're accomplishing something by voting with Democrats, and particularly people who are about to be termed out. From their point of view, it's no big downside. The problem is John that we can't do anything because we don't have the numbers, and you get some interesting people up there.
Speaker 1: Do you think it would change if Republicans were to break the Democratic supermajority?
Speaker 4: Yes, now would you still have some people? Who knows because you and I both over the years watched a lot of these people. But at that point, I guess where I'm going is there's a point in collective action. How's that that, properly done could advance the common good, meaning the Republican party interests, And at that point it would make it, I think, much easier to stand up to it than if you just sit there and shoot man, you might as well not be there.
Speaker 1: We interviewed Steve Hilton for our Accountability podcast that's going to drop tomorrow, and it was a fascinating conversation that we had on any number of topics, any number of subjects, but one of the subjects that came up was electability. And according to Poles, he is trailing Javier Bessera by the usual amount that Republicans trailed Democrats and statewide contests, which is around twenty points, which is what the results were in the primary. If you add up what Hilton got with what Bianco got, and you add up all the Democrats, it's sixty forty or some version of that. And the question that I posed to him was, why is it that Republicans in other blue states like Maryland, like Massachusetts, like Vermont have been able to win top of the ticket statewide elections at the state level, not federal offices, but state offices. They've been able to win those elections cycle after cycle after cycle after cycle. Yet we're going through a drought here in California where Republicans haven't been able to do that. What is it that republicans running for statewide office in California can learn from those Republicans in Maryland, Vermont, and Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Oh, John, I would guess without knowing is that the answer, unfortunately is probably not much much smaller states. We are a huge state, and to be able to reach the number of voters you would need, because you know, you talk about twenty percentage points, that's quite large, but that represents millions of people. It's not the same as, oh, look they're mad about something in Vermont's and we have the right, guy, So maybe we can win. It's just not And I think in this case it's our size militates against us. And I know the answer, of course, bring back Arnold. Oh well, because there you don't have to introduce him to voters. They all knew who he was and it was amazing the people that voted for him.
Speaker 5: Partly.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think you can learn from those places, John, because it's too different. I might be entirely wrong. Now, is there something you can do well? The answer in an individual election is probably no. But overall, the Democrats in this state have gone so far out there that a reasonable, reasonable consistent message over time among candidates who are willing to work this constituency, that constituency might be able to build something, although sometimes it's hard, Like right now, we should be able to build something on public health, dear lord. And beyond that, law and order periodically pops up, and we do quite well when that's the issue on voters' minds. But you have to have somebody out there who's respectable that they'll vote for, and that gets exciting.
Speaker 1: Yesterday I had John Fla on the show and I talked to him about Boyle Heights because that was where Steve Hilton decided to launch his November campaign and he had Gloria Romero there with him, who is the Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, and I brought up the fact that Gavin has still not visited Ground zero for what is a public health emergency and an environmental disaster that's going on right in the middle of one of the biggest population center, well the biggest population center in his state. But not only hasn't Gavin been there, neither is Javier Bessera, who not only is running for governor, but used to represent that area in both the State Assembly and the United States Congress, and he hasn't shown up either. Now we know why they haven't shown up, because they would get cursed out in English and Spanish, the same way that Barbara Ferrer did, the same way that Karen Bass did, the same way that Hilda Slice did. And they don't want that video to exist on planet Earth because it will haunt them forever. That being said, Fleischmann said that he predicts that there will be no political fallout for them just ignoring this disaster, because he said, what matters right now in democratic politics is the performative and the ability to actually fix a problem or to go into a disaster and take your lumps, because that's what you're supposed to do, because that's the position that you have as governor or the likely to be next governor. He said there's going to be no fallout for them at all, and that's sad, but he doesn't think that that's going to happen.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts and John's a pretty smart guy. Yeah, I've listened to him for years. The one thing I would say is if he means this election, he is one hundred percent correct, Okay, because that's have I mentioned how huge the state is and Boyle Heights is actually a very very small corner of it. And even for City of la you've left them with the choice of Karen Bassi Nithii Raman. Really, however, and I actually believe this, and I've always believed it, that there are potential openings within Hispanic communities for people who believe what we believe. And it takes time to build, it takes people being there, it takes well give you an example. Now, this is gonna age me because when Dick Riridon was first running for mayor of Los Angeles. Don't ask me why, but I was at a meeting. It was women going to be for Arden, and actually at least half, if not more, of the women were Latinas far as I could tell, they were all Democrats, but they were there to help Dick Riardon. And I actually asked them how come since it didn't seem to make any sense he was a Republican. And their answer was because for twenty years, he has been in our community for twenty years, he has donated to our schools for twenty years. He has reached out to us and listened to us, and now we're giving back.
Speaker 2: In a state like.
Speaker 4: This, John, I'm not counting on any of our palls doing that kind of thing, but an effort somewhat like that is probably what's necessary. But I do believe that that's a constituency that over time you can break into. Now, of course, in Boro Heights you probably have a number of people there who are not voters, but that's okay. You reach out where you can reach out.
Speaker 1: What is your obligation if you are the elected governor in the state, and you know those people are really angry and they feel like they've gotten the short end of the sit stick, and they're getting sick, and they fear that they're going to have long term health consequences, and maybe they will, I don't know. It can't be healthy to stay there and breathe in smoke from a chemical fire for a very long period of time and then smell that disgusting stench that's been there ever since. They claim that their lungs are being filled with fluids, that they're bleeding from the nose, they have rashes all over their bodies, they're having all kinds of health problems, and they're showing up to Barbara Ferrer's health clinics and they're being given tile and all and told to go home and stop complaining. What is your obligation if you're the governor? Is your obligation to show up and take your lumps and have a public forum and let them scream at you, because that's your role as governor and that's just part of the job description and it's not a fun day, but it's part of what you sign up for. Or is it okay to just pretend like it's not happening.
Speaker 4: What do you do if you're governor, honey? You run for president? So then you figure where that am I wrong? And that's just not an image that man wants. For that Actually, for once in my life, I will quasi sort of the little defend Gavin because health at this level really is overwhelmingly local responsibility. And I'm sorry, the good social worker is the should be the lead on this. Don't tell me it's the city. The hospital is yours, the big docs are yours. Yes, the city is messing up all over the place because they have not a clue what to do. But this is I think overwhelmingly a county responsibility and they're missing in action. So Gavin is going to decide on what makes Gavin look good to the public, and being associated with this is not that. But somebody should be doing something evil to the La County Department of Health because they're the ones who should be in there hopping around.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Gavin. To borrow a phrase from Chick hern is the mustard off the hot dog. And I say that because you look at these numbers, these poll numbers nationally, and at one point in time, not that long ago, he was doing quite well in some polls, leading the Democratic pack, and now he's fallen way behind Kamala Harris and even some other people in recent polls. You look at the battle right now that he has going on with public workers where he's trying to force them back into the office. They don't want to do it. And he's going to war with the unions over that. He's going to war with the SEIU over the wealth confiscation tax. It's not a good look to run for president as a Democrat when the unions in your home state hate your guts. It seems to me like Gavin isn't looking as good as he was looking not that long ago.
Speaker 4: I honestly believe that Gavin only looked good because there was no competition. In fact, if you talk to Democrats now, which I know you do, and you go, well, who do you think could be a good dominee? And frankly or I sort of like they're in trouble John from that point of view, because they have no idea and Gavin sort of floated because he made a big point of being out there. Now, I'll make this comment. His name was resonating when he got publicity for fighting Trump, and if he can figure out a way to take that posture again, you watch it'll go up again. Because you have a whole lot of Democrats who actsolutely refuse to think beyond Trump bad, Trump bad, Trump bad, and here's our hero to go after Trump bad. I honestly think it was tied to that. Plus they didn't have anybody else.
Speaker 1: Professor Barbara Stone, Professor of Political Science Emeritus at California State University at Fullerton, Thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 4: Well, it's good to talk to you. John.
Speaker 1: Likewise, it's the John Phillips Show. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't Like Show at gmail dot com and Randy. You could watch us perform the show live at Johnny don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 2: Every single day from noon to three. We're doing this on video at Johnny don't Like dot Com. So, unless you're like actively driving or you're really doing important work, we'd love it if you hang out with us. It's a great way to enjoy the show. It's on YouTube, so just go to Johnny don't Like dot Com, hit subscriber Almost at four thousand subscribers, hit the like button that tells YouTube that we're very popular, and hang out in the chatroom. You want to make friends or enemies for life, depending on how the chat goes. We're having a lot of fun here and if you're too busy, you're driving, what have you. All of this content is available on demand. All the live streams are available on there, as well as selected clips and interviews from the show. The best segments of the day all go up on the YouTube, and the Accountability Podcast is there. It's all there for you at Johnny Dontlike dot Com.
Speaker 1: And tomorrow there's going to be a live edition of the Accountability Podcast. It's going to drop where we interview Steve Hilton.
Speaker 2: Our very special interview that went forty minutes with Steve Hilton, something you cannot do on a radio segment. It premieres at three o'clock right after we get off the air. If you want to watch it, you got a Johnny Don't Like dot Com. If you want to listen to it, which you can also do, search for the Accountability Podcast on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio. But we really encourage you to watch it, like it, leave some comments, tell us what you think. It is a great wide ranging interview of goubernatorial candidate Steve Hilton and his race for governor.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny don't like dot Com and you can do it. There. You can participate in the chat and click that like button. Where are we at right now with the likes?
Speaker 2: Randy, let's check the latest like count. Let me go to my YouTube at wait, have I liked today's show? I better make sure I have there. I hit it now. We're at one hundred and seventy five likes. I put all this stuff together, and sometimes I forget to like my own content. The like button tells YouTube that we're popular and they should send us to more people. Yesterday was and we're not totally sure why, but I'm here for it. The most popular live stream we've done in like three weeks, So thank you so much for that. We appreciate the encouragement. As we're getting real close to four thousand subscribers on this YouTube channel. Hit that subscribe button, hit the bell. Get notified every single time we do a live broadcast by going to Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 1: A new California ruling is making it more difficult to keep repeat nonviolent offenders in custody before trial.
Speaker 2: The judges are taking das that are doing great jobs, like Brooke Jenkins in San Francisco and making her job so much harder. For more on this, we go to a great in depth report from ABC seven in the Bay and one of my favorite reporters, LeeAnne Melendez.
Speaker 6: Shell theft, it's decreasing in San Francisco, as is the illegal resale of stolen goods on city streets.
Speaker 7: Of good news there, that's right, But those same offenders may find it easier to walk free because of a recent California Supreme Court decision.
Speaker 6: ABC seven Eye Witness does reporter Lee on Linda's here for an in depth look at a new hurdle in fighting crime. One step forward, two steps back here.
Speaker 5: Well, things are changing, or are they? So we are moving the ball forward when addressing retail theft. Those words coming from San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins. She, like others, say, there is still a lot of work to be done, but there's a new obstacle which has gone somewhat unnoticed until now.
Speaker 1: And Randy, we have talked about this at nauseum for public safety to be back in California, Yes, it's very important to make sure that we have good district attorneys and we get these Soros das out of office, people like George Gascon and Pamela Price and Chase A. Boudin. But you also need a police department that's willing to make the arrests. You need judges who are willing to keep people in jail, you need juries who are willing to convict. You need state lawmakers who are willing to put reasonable laws on the books. And if someone drops the ball, the whole thing falls apart.
Speaker 2: And in San Francisco, you've got a mayor that wants to enforce the law. He's not perfect, but he's a heck of a lot better than London Breed. You have a police department that is getting more and more the availability to actually do their job. Car break ins are way down in San Francisco. You have a district attorney who is one of the best in the entire state trying to really go after some of these repeat offenders. But it's the judges in San Francisco County specifically that are constantly throwing a wrench into the case. They're the ones that say, oh, yes, the Honduran fentanl dealers. They're definitely victims of human trafficking. Let's release them. Oh, the repeat thief that must just because of poverty, Let's release them. And sometimes the amount of time these people get released after doing the same crime over and over and over again is ludicrous.
Speaker 5: That in a single night, twenty two people were arrested in San Francisco for shoplifting. The video was provided by the SFPD Organized Retail Crime Task Force.
Speaker 2: They're stealing from a Whole Foods. What are they stealing that one stock of asparagus that's in water that costs eight dollars.
Speaker 5: Today, the consequences are more severe. Since December twenty twenty four, a district attorney can ask that a shoplifting or petty theft charge be filed as a felony. If that defended, that.
Speaker 2: Is Prop thirty six. By the way, that's the two aspects of Prop thirty six are the drug aspect and the repeat thievean aspect.
Speaker 1: And you go, why is this important. They're not violent, it's not like they murdered someone, it's not like they raped someone. They stole something from a retail store. Well, the answer is, if you let them out until the trial begins. Sometimes it takes months before those trials start. So how many more stores can they knock off? Well, they're out before the trial is resolved.
Speaker 5: It has two or more prior convictions for theft related offenses.
Speaker 8: We have filed well over one hundred of the sixty six to six point one cases, which is really telling us that there are people who are running around with prior convictions who are continuing to steal and we've been able to, one by one, you know, apply more serious charges to them.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget this is all happening in San Francisco, which has notably seen so many wallgreens closed because of retail theft, including the Walgreens where they had to chain up the frozen pizza and ice cream.
Speaker 1: Where you're supposed to get your blood pressure medications. In San Francisco, CBS and waited a really long line.
Speaker 5: Which matters the use of police Jones has also been instrumental even in pickpocketing cases.
Speaker 6: After confirming three separate pickpocket thefts, officers coordinated an arrest operation.
Speaker 2: Here's what okay, who's doing the SFPD's voiceover, Because that's a great voice.
Speaker 1: Sounds like the guy from unsolved mysteries.
Speaker 5: They told us back in March when we visited the Real Time Investigation Center.
Speaker 1: We're absolutely using that as a message to send out that if you come here to San Francisco, you're gonna get hell responsible for what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Hey, he didn't use the A word. Good for you.
Speaker 5: But despite these tougher laws, some suspects are released by the courts even though they have committed several offenses. Take the case of a man named Tyrese Boswell, arrested last December for eighteen thefts at a Walgreens.
Speaker 2: This is why we can't have nice things. Ghetto have the luck of the sock.
Speaker 5: He was then released by a judge, and, according to his complaint, Boswell was involved in seven additional thefts at another Walgreens.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Story's not over.
Speaker 5: He was arrested in April and again released pending his court date. Court documents state that he then returned to the same Walgreens two more times and arrested a third time. He now remains in jail.
Speaker 2: So we need this guy to steal from the Walgreens over twenty five times before we actually realize that this guy should not be out.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised there's any place left for us to shop at in San Francisco.
Speaker 5: According to police, his thefts were totaled nearly forty thousand dollars. In case you're wondering, some of those stolen items are then illegally sold on these streets.
Speaker 2: In the mission.
Speaker 1: There you go, Today's show goes full circle.
Speaker 2: Seriously, who's buying the black market toothpaste?
Speaker 5: But all police can do is cite the person unless there's a warrant.
Speaker 2: And they used to not even be able to do that.
Speaker 5: Is what we saw. Police confiscated a bag full of items from a man whom admittedly had sold stolen goods many times in the Mission district. About any stolen stone, h Well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, did you steal that Warrior's beanie?
Speaker 1: Well, I can tell you this, he wasn't stealing toothpaste for personal use.
Speaker 2: Looks like next time I he going to Walgreens, he might want to steal a brath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got a rack fother party.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yes, yeah, stuff like that.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: But you know, uh so did they they took? They took, They took the most expensive stuff I had, Levi's.
Speaker 2: You know, you know how you can just tell by the way someone speaks, if they're a meth head, he's it. Yep. Regular people that don't do meth and fentanyl don't sound like that.
Speaker 9: And and they wrote me in infraction, they ran my name. They just tastle us if we have a warrant that'll take us to jail, you know, and and and and they they just don't give us room to operating.
Speaker 2: Jake, that's one of those moments where you just leave the microphone and let your guests do all the work.
Speaker 1: Everything you'll get is Goldpkins.
Speaker 5: And other district attorneys in the state are now concerned that the courts will not be able to keep some suspects in custody for committing non violent offenses like shoplifting. That's because in April of this year, the California Supreme Court ruled that jailing a person before their trial simply because they cannot post bail is unconstitutional.
Speaker 2: There there you go, everybody, If the person committing the crime cannot afford the bail, we cannot give bail. That's where we're at.
Speaker 1: Unreal.
Speaker 8: We cannot as a system hold them in court without being allowed to post bail that they can afford.
Speaker 4: To pay.
Speaker 5: An example of what could happen recently did when a man accused of torturing a kitten in San Francisco was released and was a no show for his arraignment. A few days later, Reno police raided home to arrest him for allegedly adopting more kittens and abusing them.
Speaker 2: So our laws are allowing cat abusers to get out so they can abuse more cats.
Speaker 1: This is insanity and it's so predictable. Who is looking at this and going, well, I didn't expect that to happen.
Speaker 2: Reno PD's got a lot of tats.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, haven't you watched Reno nine one one?
Speaker 8: Anyone who's committed nonviolent crime?
Speaker 2: And also quick question, how is torturing a cat not a violent crime?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're causing pain to a living thing, and.
Speaker 8: I mean nonviolent against another person, not an animal. Anything like that is going to be back out into the street most likely.
Speaker 5: So we're not advocating one way or another with regard to the State Supreme Court's decision.
Speaker 2: Sure we're not. We're being completely neutral in this story.
Speaker 1: We could read between the lines.
Speaker 2: We just stuck our microphone out and let the meth head do all the talking for us.
Speaker 5: Of course, this decision stems from a case where a man found a credit card card, used it to try to buy a seven dollars hamburger, was arrested. Bail was then set at seventy five thousand dollars. He couldn't pay it.
Speaker 2: How is that even possible?
Speaker 1: And you see these people that abuse kittens and we just let them out, but they're putting someone in who stole a seven dollars hamburger.
Speaker 5: Then he spent six months in jail waiting for his trial.
Speaker 1: Here's what I want to know, what did that guy do before he stole the hamburger? Because it could be a situation where he has been a career a hole and this was just the latest straw that broke the camel's back and they go, Okay, you're a problem child. This is what the bail's going to be.
Speaker 5: A lot of district attorneys in the state very concerned about the consequences of this ruling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that seems to be the extreme case. Yeah, seven dollars hamburger.
Speaker 2: And we're already seeing the supply every single day. If a Hondo, which is what they call the Honda and drug dealers that are setting Fountainyl and the Mission and Soma and the tenderloin. If they get arrested, they don't even get held because oh, they can't afford the bail. And of course we're not going to turn them over to ice because we don't do that in San Francisco.
Speaker 6: How how do these people keep getting released from jail?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 6: Is it an overcrowding situation?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 5: Well? I mean, you know, for the longest time California has said, well, you know, if it's a minor offense, then they shouldn't be in jail.
Speaker 2: And that how about twenty five different minor offenses all at the same Walgreens.
Speaker 5: That's why we came up with this six sixty six point one, which is if you commit more than one several and then you commit another crime, which is was before a misdemeanor now would become it will become a feunder.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: And they keep on coming.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you, Liam.
Speaker 2: So there there you go, another great report from Leanne Melendez. The das are sounding the alarm. California courts and the California Supreme Court say bail's not fair because the perpetrators can't afford it.
Speaker 1: If you're watching us live at Johnny don't like dot com, please click that like button. It's the John Phillips Show. Randy, how are we doing on likes and subscribers.
Speaker 2: We're at two hundred and twelve likes for today's show and we're at three thousand, nine hundred and ninety five like subscribers today, so I think by the end of the show we're gonna hit four thousand, which is wild. A month ago this channel had eleven hundred subs. So thank y'all so much for finalie watching the show, but telling your friends, telling your family, posting about it in next door, I don't know spread the word you are our marketing department.
Speaker 1: Coming up after the news at two, Randy, We're gonna speak to a guest who's been on your five PM program before.
Speaker 2: Ramen Ekatar, a host of ramin Real t Talk on YouTube, one of the biggest California politics channels out there. This guy is fantastic and he is fascinating and it's gonna be a lot of fun to talk to him. So Johnny and Ramen coming up at two o'clock.
Speaker 1: The minimum wage is set to go up yet again here in the state of California. For more on that, mister Randy.
Speaker 2: Wing, California's minimum wage is going up to seventeen forty an hour, and guess what, it's still not enough to afford anything. For more, here is CBS eight in San Diego. This is an.
Speaker 7: Effort that began ten years ago when the minimum wage was around ten dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Every year we're seeing an increase fifty seventy five cents an hour.
Speaker 7: If you make minimum wage in California, that increase applies to you due to Senate Bill three, signed into law by then Democratic Governor Jerry Brown. The goal to help Californians keep up with inflation. Says bill co author former Assembly Speaker Bob Herzberg.
Speaker 2: Bear, he got in trouble for that, yep.
Speaker 9: Weighted, having to go back to the legislature and to create it over time increases that really reflected changes in inflation.
Speaker 2: He bought those glasses that make you look twenty years older than you really are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kind of looks like Mordy Seinfeld, doesn't He.
Speaker 7: SB three passed along party lines with the strong backing of labor unions.
Speaker 2: It was everything that passes passed with the strong backing of labor unions.
Speaker 6: Fought battle between the business community and labor organizations.
Speaker 7: At the time, labor unions had their fight for fifteen movement.
Speaker 2: Well, we're why past that because fifteen enough, hack twenty eight enough. I don't know how anyone affords to live here.
Speaker 7: Thank for fifteen dollars minimum wage via SB three, the legislature landed on a phase and approach to aout fifteen dollars an hour starting in twenty seventeen. When SB three took effect, the legislature raised the minimum wage year. By twenty twenty three, all California employers were paying fifteen dollars an hour. Since then, the governor.
Speaker 2: And don't forget that this is the base minimum wage for all jobs. But Gavin through his fast Food Council, passed a blanket twenty dollar an hour minimum wage for fast food workers, which is a lot of those entry level jobs. And then I think it's a twenty five dollar hour minimum wage for hospital workers. And don't forget the La City Council passing the thirty dollars an hour minimum wage by twenty twenty eight four tourism workers.
Speaker 1: And we know what happens when you do this. We've seen it in the fast food world where automation, which is going to happen anyway, is accelerated and many of these jobs are eliminated.
Speaker 7: Department of Finance has been tasked with calculating the annual Inflation Adjustment HONOR before August first of each year. SB three mandates the use of the United States Consumer Price Index for urban wage earners and clerical workers to calculate inflation. Increase are capped out three point five percent. This most recent increase to seventeen forty starting January first, is a three percent raise.
Speaker 2: Big picture this, I'd like a three percent raise.
Speaker 7: Yeah, good luck dates not losing a ton of money or having to invest a ton of money because of this minimum wage increase every year.
Speaker 10: No, no, not as we see it. This is really in terms of the net effect on the state budget, we would say very modest.
Speaker 2: Sex that guy trying to hide a hickey, what do you think he was doing?
Speaker 7: Kurstin with the non partisan Legiscat of Analyst's office, says part of the.
Speaker 10: Reason is that when their incomes change, their eligibility for health and social services programs change.
Speaker 7: Meaning fewer people enrolled in taxpayer funded safety net programs like medical and cal works as for which low wage workers benefit most. Kurstine says those and in home support of services and developmental services. Certain industries as well as local jurisdictions are excluded since they offer their own higher minimum. Is the biggest takeaway for California is that, oh yeah, I'm making more money starting next year.
Speaker 10: That's a reasonable takeaway. Again, it's an inflation adjustment, so they're kind of making from.
Speaker 2: A sub How many things are adjusted for inflation that are in fact inflationary, like the gas tax or this.
Speaker 1: Well, what's going to happen, and I've said it before, I'll say it again, is this is going to create all new issues which are going to relate to AI. And there's going to be pushback saying AI is eliminating all of these jobs. We need universal basic income because AI is taking over. Well, why do you think that's happening. The policies that Sacramento has given us are going to take the AI takeover, and it's going to put it on fast forward. It's going to make it happen faster, and many of these jobs are going to go away and they're not going to come back all right, we've got one more hour coming up up on The John Phillips Show, Don't You Go Anywhere,